Bedtime Story

Printer-friendly version

A Bedtime Story©

By: Annette MacGregor


"Aunt Anne, please tell me a story."

"Are you ready for bed?"

"Yes."

"That's a good little girl."

"Can I, PLEASE, have a story?"

I looked over at my sister, who nodded.

"Come on, Karen, let's go get into bed, and I'll tell you a story."

 
She took my hand, and we went to her room. I tucked her into bed, and pulled a chair over. Smiling, I began,

Once upon a time, there was a little girl.
She was a very good little girl, but was confused.
Her family kept calling her Danny and she didn't understand, but being a good girl, she came when called.

One day, she finally asked her mommy about the name, and her mommy explained that she wasn't a girl, but a good little boy.

The little girl, went away. She was sad at what her mommy had told her, 'cause she knew better, but being a good girl, she didn't argue.

 

"Why did they call her Danny, when she was a girl?"

"That's part of the story." I said smiling. "Let's see, where was I..." I paused, as if I'd forgotten, "Oh yes."

 
Since her mommy didn't understand, she didn't talk to her about it any more. though, she tried to act like a better girl, by helping clean up and take care of her little brother.
 

"Does the girl have a name?"

"What?" I looked down at Karen, "Oh, you want to know if the little girl has a name? Well, like most kids " I paused, teasing her, "me."

"Auntie Anne."

I just smiled, "Is this your story or mine?"

She quieted down, and pointed at me.

Nodding, "Now, where was I again. Ahh yes. Now, pay attention, this is where things get a bit confusing." I admonished her.

 
One day, when helping take the laundry down, she noticed that her mommy had left some of her things around, so she thought... "Maybe, if I dress up pretty, mommy will understand better."
So, the little girl, pulled a nice slip out and pulled it over her little head.

The little girl was going to go find her mommy, when she saw a pair of her mommy's heels, and thought to herself. "Those look so fun." She put her little feet in the shoes, and clopped off to find her mommy.

 

Looking down, I noticed that Karen had fallen asleep. Maybe one day, she'll ask me to tell her more about this little girl. I hope she's older though.



I hope it wasn't too painful. I started writing this little bit in a IM window to a very good friend. After sharing the sillyness with another friend, the second friend said I should share it some more. So, you're more... I put it up without the benefit of editing help, perhaps this was a mistake. Comments or sugestions welcome.

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nice

a very nice and touching story annette i thought it was sweet
well hugs from sara v
till later

Suggestions?

I have one: Finish the story! =D

It was an enjoyable read and pretty cute. I hope to see more.

Once upon a time

a young writer took pen and paper to task. As time progressed the paper remained blank with the exception of the stains from the tears falling from the authors' eyes.

Morale: FINISH THE STORY!!!

I was in several minds...

... on this bit. One was leave it alone, and let the reader add his or her own ending. Another was, let the child ask for another story (on another night when the Aunt was visiting). Yet another, was to continue the story as a dream by the little child (or the Aunt)... Either a happy one, or a nightmare, or maybe both.

So, how is whatever I write a more "finised" story, than what you see here... With the child falling asleep.

Dunno... Besides, any time spent on this as a story would take away from the other stuff I'm working on (and have promised folks would show up - and yes, I do need to work on that stuff too).

Annette

Very nice,

but not enough to really make a dent. This was a good beginning, but now you have to continue it. And yes, I would also like to learn more about the little girl too. Thank you for sharing this with us, but it needs to have more chapters.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Some stories are best finished ...

... by the Reader. I think that this is one of them. Annette, you are a good writer. Please continue with your projects. As for editing, perhaps, but this is good as it is. I really liked it.
Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

A Very Nice Story!

Didn'r we all have that problem with the wrong name?

Yes! Please continue! I Love bedtime stories with happy endings!

Hugs,
Diane

A Bedtime Story

That perhaps is a true story for one of the ladies.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine