Rhysling's Rue - Part 1

Printer-friendly version

...The cool green hills had gone the way of the Dodo. Now what was left was scrapping over the rest of the solar system, killing each other for the mineral bearing rocks of the Belt, fighting over ice for the volatiles needed to sustain life.

Rhysling's Rue
Chapter 1

By Theide

 


 
The cool green hills of earth. Oh how the irony of that phrase ran through her soul as she stood on the grey battle steel of her first command. There were no cool green hills any more. There was only the blasted ruin humanity had left of it’s cradle, the blighted wasteland humanity had once called home.

No, the cool green hills had gone the way of the Dodo. Now what was left was scrapping over the rest of the solar system, killing each other for the mineral bearing rocks of the Belt, fighting over ice for the volatiles needed to sustain life.

And perhaps the worst thing was that she was responsible for much of it. It had been her hand that had launched the last horrible assault on the Ozarks, had commanded the devastation that brought the last forces planetside to their knees. But there had been no choice. She told herself that again and again, and she wished fervently to believe it. Still, the lost souls of her husband and her child cried out to her from that blasted ruin.

Yet there was nothing to do but carry on, and that she did with every fiber of her being. There wasn’t really anything else to do, after all. She commanded 5,000 lives, was their mistress after god, their captain, and it was her responsibility to make sure they lived or at least gave their lives in some manner worthy of the sacred honor they had pledged themselves to as Fleet Marines. It wasn’t a job she wanted, it wasn’t even a job she had ever desired, but it was hers, and nothing could take that last little bit of solace from her.

It was all that was left. That and a small naval yard, orbiting the frigid rings of Uranus. And that was under attack by a ragtag batch of Belters. God only knew what they hoped to achieve, but those folks were hers, and be damned if she was going to let them go down on her watch! So it was maximum boost, hell bent for leather, every hand struggling under 3 gravities, and broken bones were the order of the day.

It was a weary crew that arrived after 5 months of hard gravity, broken in body, damn near broken in spirit. They were all vastly stronger in body, but their minds had taken a terrible beating, news of disaster after holocaust after genocide beating in upon minds already numbed by the horrific physical toll their environment had taken upon them.

There wasn’t really much to say when they finally arrived at Heaphestus Naval Yard to find a blasted, looted ruin, a few straggling survivors holding together the last of the environmental support systems deep in the bowels of the yard, protecting the few dependents who had been gathered there.

It was no hardship to take those few aboard, to shelter those last lost souls in the welcoming warmth of the last bit of civilization around. Some of the crew had to double up, but there were a bare 500 or so survivors and most of them were children. Lost bewildered children who spent their days wandering around with an odd determined look in their eyes and their nights fighting of dreams of horror. The thing that bothered her the most was that almost none of them ever cried.

She tried to befriend some of them, and knew that many of her crew had made the same effort, but these children were unlike any she had ever met. They all seemed to share a bond, that much she could tell, but none of them would open up to any of the adults, none of them would share with them just what horror haunted their cold flat gaze. That was the other thing they all shared, the cold, burn you to the soul and pin you to the deck gaze that she had seen in many veterans of close combat, the thing they called the thousand yard stare.

You could look into the eyes of these children and see what they had been through, but it gave no insight into who they were or how they felt. It was like they just looked through you , through the ship itself and into the depths of space, and nothing would ever interrupt that terrible regard. It was really a little creepy.
 


up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Attribution

Puddintane's picture

The Green Hills of Earth is both the title of a novel by Robert Heinlein and the name of a song he mentions many times in his "Future History" SciFi novels.

In the stories, it's attributed by a blind troubadour or bard named "Noisy" Rhysling, but outside the stories, Heinlein credited the title of the song to C.L. (Catherine Lucille) Moore, one of the pioneer women who wrote Science Fiction during the Thirties and beyond, who mentions the tune in her short story, "Shambleau." C.L. Moore was also the creator of Jirel of Joiry, one of the first female swashbucklers in SF/F.

Ms Moore mentions only the tune, so Heinlein supplied a very few lyrics, including most famously:

We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth
Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Thanks Puddin!

I figured someone would get the rather blatant reference.

Thank you for bringing up the bit about Moore, I had forgotten that.

I'd never guess you were a Heinlein fan, with a name like Puddintane.

As for where I'm going with this story, I have no idea, so I guess I'll find out shortly before you do. This is one of those that just flowed from mind to keyboard.

Theide

Battery.jpg

Not exactly a fan...

Puddintane's picture

...but he *is* the fellow who invented the "stobor" as an imaginary monster in Tunnel in the Sky, which may have been his little joke, since (unlike many authors of that era) he never wrote about robots, the cheapest of cheap cliches in those days.

I'm not particularly fond of his stories as they're all just a little "off" to me, too Libertarian with a capital L, too kinky (albeit heavily bowdlerised for publication), and often disturbingly bloodthirsty. His women, in particular, seem more like cardboard cutouts than real women, or perhaps more precisely men in drag, like Laura Croft, Tomb Raider, meant to appeal to adolescent boys, and those men not far removed from that happy state of self-delusion.

But he did tell a very solid story, involved with more-or-less real issues, with the possible exception of his fascination with the Nietzschean Superman, which semi-fascist archetype many of his male protagonists resemble.

I'm something of a scholar of Science Fiction and some forms of Fantasy, so know his oeuvre rather well, even though there are many authors I prefer.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

"I figured someone would get the rather blatant reference."

Actually, the story name kept me from reading it for ten years. I have a much higher opinion of RAH than Puddin' does, a topic for another time. Since the name played off a Heinlein character I expected a cheesy ripoff. That sort of thing annoys me greatly, so I backed away as quickly as I could.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hmmm

I am not sure where this is going but it has caught my attention.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Well this one has caught my interest

I sure hope to see more of it soon. Very dark, with despair, courage, and a mystery thrown in.

Very Interesting Beginning

You leave a lot of untold story here. It will be interesting to see whee you take this story.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

An interesting start

I came across this story very late in the day.