The Violet Ajah : Author's Foreword (& Checklist)

Printer-friendly version


The Violet Ajah
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Author's Foreword

* * *


This is a novel-length fanfiction set in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time setting. The setting and any characters that are not original characters are fully the property of Robert Jordan, his widow (Harriet Rigby), his estate, his posthumous co-author/successor (Brandon Sanderson), and his publishers.

At the end of each chapter will be posted a guide to how to pronounce terms and names, and again at the end of the work as a whole there will be a guide compiling all the smaller ones.

I originally planned on release and posting of one piece per week, on Fridays, and gave a table with a schedule... I offer now instead, a checklist, so you can tell at a glance which pieces of the thing are done:

Violet Ajah Release Checklist!
  Teaser
  Author's Foreword - - - Chapter 11 - - - Chapter 23 - - - Chapter 35 - - - Chapter 47 - - - Chapter 59
  Prologue - - - Chapter 12 - - - Chapter 24 - - - Chapter 36 - - - Chapter 48 - - - Chapter 60
  Chapter 1 - - - Chapter 13 - - - Chapter 25 - - - Chapter 37 - - - Chapter 49 - - - Chapter 61
- - - Chapter 2 - - - Chapter 14 - - - Chapter 26 - - - Chapter 38 - - - Chapter 50 - - - Chapter 62
- - - Chapter 3 - - - Chapter 15 - - - Chapter 27 - - - Chapter 39 - - - Chapter 51 - - - Chapter 63
- - - Chapter 4 - - - Chapter 16 - - - Chapter 28 - - - Chapter 40 - - - Chapter 52 - - - Chapter 64
- - - Chapter 5 - - - Chapter 17 - - - Chapter 29 - - - Chapter 41 - - - Chapter 53 - - - Epilogue
- - - Chapter 6 - - - Chapter 18 - - - Chapter 30 - - - Chapter 42 - - - Chapter 54 - - - Glossary of Terms
- - - Chapter 7 - - - Chapter 19 - - - Chapter 31 - - - Chapter 43 - - - Chapter 55 - - - Author's Afterword
- - - Chapter 8 - - - Chapter 20 - - - Chapter 32 - - - Chapter 44 - - - Chapter 56 - - - Q & A
- - - Chapter 9 - - - Chapter 21 - - - Chapter 33 - - - Chapter 45 - - - Chapter 57 - - - Saidar & Saidin
- - - Chapter 10 - - - Chapter 22 - - - Chapter 34 - - - Chapter 46 - - - Chapter 58 - - - The White Tower

The release did not happen due to various and sundry issues and problems I have had along the way. However, as of now, I plan to continue releases throughout 2011. Keep an eye on my blog and back at this page for updates!

The Q & A mentioned will be held at various times throughout, and will be cleaned up and posted at the given date. This post is also to give folks somewhere to ask questions so that I don't tread the same water twice! Use the comments on this particular post to ask any questions about the story!

Enjoy!
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Glossary

Puddintane's picture

Might I suggest that a glossary published after the story
is finished isn't terribly useful to readers. It would be
nice to see the glossary early on, and edit it from time
to time if the vocabulary isn't fully developed as the
story is developed.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Glossary

Edeyn There will be a glossary at the end of each chapter with pronunciations, as I did with the Teaser last year, the Glossary at the end will be collecting each chapter's glossary into one large reference.

Heh.

Yeah, there are several novel-type books that do that, and it always bugged me that they didn't pepper it through the book.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Jordan? Wheel of Time?

Is it necessary to have read Wheel of Time beforehand? I dropped out of SF about 15 years ago and have *just barely* managed to even hear Jordan's name. :-(

Also, I agree about the glossary. It should likely be published early and/or be a living document in case forward-referenced words would be spoilers.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to this....

- Moni

It's a girls' world; we just let boys live in it.

Not necessary

Edeyn It is not at all necessary to have already read the Wheel of Time, but I do recommend it. Some of the best fantasy of the 90s and 00s to have seen print. It may make it easier to follow, but my goal it to make it a stand alone piece that makes it unnecessary to have read the 9,685 pages (nearly 3.5 Million words) that are currently in print. Mrs. Rigby has hand-picked the man that will be finishing her late-husband's epic from his notes, outline, and beginnings of the planned final book in the series. 33-year old fantasy author from Nebraska, ] Brandon Sanderson [). There are 11 books in the series and a prequel currently, the last ( A Memory of Light ) is supposed to be out in November of 2009.
It was confirmed that Robert Jordan finished about 50,000 words of the final novel, plus his outlines and notes, and Brandon Sanderson is working toward a goal of about 400,000 words. Sanderson spent the two to three months following the announcement of his being the one chosen to finish A Memory of Light re-reading the entire series before then beginning the task of sorting through Jordan's notes, outlines, and partially finished bits. Links to Robert Jordan's Blog and Brandon Sanderson's Blog with his impressions of each of the books during his re-read provided below.

As I said above, there will be a glossary of terms at the end of each chapter, like I did with the Teaser I posted last year. It is available to read here on TopShelf, in fact scroll ever-so-slightly up to the top of comments and click on the link to the Teaser on the left there, if you're interested. I'm quite excited about this, as it's one of the only fanfics I have written that I feel good enough about to share.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Squeeeee!!!

ZOMG, Wheel of Time TG fiction? You have got my attention, ma'am, and firmly at that! And by the title, perhaps set in the mysterious land beyond the sea where strangers fear to tread? (Was it called Shara? I have trouble remembering...) Regardless, I wait impatiently and with insistent desire to read!

(I have no idea what came over me to word this comment the way I did, but it was fun!)

--kitn

It was, indeed, called Shara

Edeyn But this is not set there. The "Blurred for Plot" tag that will be on each chapter is to keep the readers guessing. The Teaser is actually the first part of the first chapter, to be posted in its entirety in 2 weeks. You could go and read that for a hint of things to come!

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Violet Ajah ?

You mean, about people actually creating angreals, I think it's what the violet ajah is about.

But what about a TG element in it ? If the Tg person can channel the one power it could be plain weird (I mean ... you know if you read the Wheel of Time). And I don't want to hear about a trans-lady channeling the saidin, it would be so wierd :/

In any case, it seems real great, I can't wait till summer 2010

When will the story take place, in a world where the dark one still exits ? Will the saidin be cleansed ? Does the black tower exists ?
So, in short, does this happens while the dragon fights the dark one or before that ?

I can't wait.
When I clicked on the title, I thought I was going to read a wonderful chapter, but no, unfortunately just a schedule.
But, take your time :) I want the best story. But it's going to be hard waiting till next week.

Mildred

Good questions, Mildred!

Edeyn Let's see if I can answer them adequately...

The Violet Ajah you mention is formed later. This story will take place before Moiraine finds Rand and the others from Emond's Field. In fact, before The New Spring. So, not the net entity that currently exists.

TG element... well, I don't want to give too much away, but keeping in mind that established authors here may post non-TG stories, this will have at least one main character that will be TG -- in some way (not telling!).

I'm not saying an Aes Sedai or not, because I don't want to give anything away too early. Yes, I know what you're referring to from the canon of WoT.

I'm hoping that you'll be enjoying it way before the end, in July of 2010!

As I said before, it will take place prior to The New Spring and that means that you won't see most of the familiar characters. As the Teaser suggests, there is part of it with familiar names from Tar Valon, but there will be many introductions for me to perform as author!

I posted that Teaser about a year ago... it took me that long to get everything straightened out so that I wasn't stepping on toes as far as copyright and fanfiction rules go.

If you can think of ways to improve the disclaimer here in the AFW, let me know!


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

>> a trans-lady channeling the saidin

Puddintane's picture

Been there, done that...

In the Canonical stories, Balthamel, one of the nastiest of the Forsaken, has been re-embodied as the entirely female Aran'gar and retains the ability to channel saidin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthamel

In this case, he really *is* a man trapped in a woman's body, and is as nasty as ever, although said to be adapting well.

Wikipedia has most of the background from the series on-line in a linked series of articles. This is very handy if one doesn't want to read the books.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Aran'gar

Edeyn A very interesting character, that one. Balthamel learns to use the whole feminine wiles bit as an avenue to power quite rapidly -- of course, the Dark One put him in most attractive female body available as a punishment for being so careless with his original body and getting himself all deaded.

Personally, I think Aran'gar was enjoying it after a time.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

TG in WoT

A TG character doesn't even have to be involved with the One Power in WoT... I mean, look at Mat, whose strange powers with luck show no sign of connection to that power. Or Perrin, Wolfbrother. There could be a completely unknown power involved, or none at all. Maybe this TG character is a Court Bard, given to certain types of disguise in his intrigues. Or some dangerous Ter'angreal transformed some unlucky sap who meddled with it. Maybe a story about how the One Power is linked to the soul, not the body, and someone with a feminine soul might use Saidar in spite of some "birth defects." There are so many possibilities it boggles the mind.

I can't wait to find out the story on this one.

'Zactly!

Edeyn Mat not only has no connection to the One Power, his foxhead amulet makes him completely immune to direct use of the One Power! Of course, an Aes Sedai (or Asha'man) could grab something with the One Power and smash him over the head with it, but they couldn't do anything directly to him.

There is way more 'magical' in the world of the Wheel of Time than just the One Power. I mean... Ogiers! Treesingers!


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

WOW

Robert Jordan passed away. When did this happen. This is a great loss to the fantasy community in my opinion.

Does anyone know where I can get all of his books in ebooks form? Id like to read them on my notebook.

Indeed, his passing is a blow to Fantasy

Edeyn September 16, 2007, was the day it happened. If you look him up on Wikipedia, there's actually a lot of info. About him, about Brandon Sanderson, about the disease that killed him, about the final book...

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

e-Books

Puddintane's picture

Aside from a few prologues and teasers, the print publisher doesn't seem interested in e-book formats, although it appears that (presumably pirated) editions may be available in certain venues, including the Philippines.

I see an auction for same on a site there, but would be very hesitant to engage in such a transaction for several reasons, even though the list price for all eleven e-books is 90PhP, less than three dollars but with the potential for a *world* of hurt.

You can find both the teasers and the auction by searching for Robert Jordan ebooks

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Amazon

Edeyn has very good prices on used copies of all 12 in-print books. Yes, ebooks are way more convenient, but if they're unavailable, then we have to go to other formats. Dead tree seems to be the most popular format for books.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

release dates

Looks like the year for chapters 47-51 and 59-63 is wrong.

M

Martina

Oops

Thanks

Woohoo!

Ever since I saw the teaser for this story, I've been hoping to get a change to read the rest. I'm so glad you were able to get everything straightened out so you you can start posting chapters. I can hardly wait for the first one!

More info... and perhaps a revised schedule!

Edeyn I have updated the info in the Author's Forward just a bit, and will let people know if things are not going to parse to plan!
For anyone that has been looking forward to this, I sincerely apologize for having dropped the ball. Things are now getting back on track and I will be able to (hopefully) stick to the new proposed release beginning. I will be updating the actual dates in the table above sometime in the next few days, by the way.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

::cheering::

That's awesome news! I loved the start of this story and am looking forward to seeing what happens next in 2011. :)