Best of Both Worlds

Printer-friendly version

"Mom, Dad?"

This was so hard. They both stared at me, probably at how I looked sick. I felt sick. I had to clear my throat, but I got it out.

"I'm... I, I think, I'm a... a girl...."

My dad leapt to his feet. "Get out!"

"Dad!" I couldn't keep the tears from starting. "Dad... please! I can't help it...."

"Shut up!"

Mom rolled her eyes as she reached out to hug me. "I'm the only woman alive with a husband who sounds like Hannah Montana...."

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm awfully sorry

But I didn't understand it. Maybe it's my age (63) or the fact that I live in the UK - or both.

Susie

It's the start of a scene

 

anime.gif     a male admitting to his parents that he isn't male. Pretty basic to me. And... a great way to begin a long running story!

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

translation

In the language of a teenage American girl, "Get out" means "That's so amazing I can hardly believe it!" and "Shut up" means "I am so envious of the wonderful things that happen to you."

This story is funny, because on the surface it seems like our heroine's father is shunning her, when he's actually happy for her.

Winky Face

Zackly, ;-)
Thank you,
Michelle

Genre Reassignment

Ummm..
Well, like, it's um, like... a play on, like... a comedy of manners, sorta?
Michelle the Obscure

The Best of Both Worlds?

tmf's picture

It start with the kid saying he's a girl, and finish with the wife saying her husban sound like one ;)
It start with a woman and two men, and it finish with three women :)

The best of both worlds or The best of one worlds

Thanks!

Thanks T.M.F.
That's great! I hadn't seen that, and it's such a kewl interpretation!
Michelle

Best of Both World's - Glossary Needed!!!!

RAMI

I hope Michelle does not take this as an attack, because it is not intended that way. I was also lost and did not comprehend what was going on, until I read the other comments, that explained the meaning of "Get Out" and "Shut up". I was not going to vote for the story or leave a comment. I voted and obviously left a comment for a good story. Then things became clearer as I read those comments that explained what was happening, I guess I'm not that cool or with it. Michelle if you intend this to be a continuing story, or write similar stories, and not just a one shot thing, please, double please add a glossary at the end explaining the terms you use. Otherwise, old farts like me, whose children are too old for Hannah Montana and not yet grandparents, will not understand and will loose interest. Understanding those phrases is the key to the story.

Without that understanding, this was just another story about a bad hateful father. Now it is about a loving family, willing to help their child. Much better.

Again, great story once translated.

Rami

RAMI

Then and now

Kinda like a scavenger hunt, hunh?

Thanks for the comment and vote ;-)
Michelle

Like, wow, totally, fur sure LOL Kewl!

I like didn't get 'til someone explained Millie Ray Cyrus speak to me.

She like totally speaks funny, ya know.

I'm a Val and I don't talk that way. No Way! Why would I want to sound stupid? Barf out, gag me with a spoon!

But I must say she's looking bitchn' and styln' these days, what a hottie. I could see myself like doing the lesbian thing for her in a few years. Best of Both Worlds, ya know.

Joanie in Wauwatosa filling in for John

P.S. Welcome back Michelle

John in Wauwatosa

John, Joanie, Jeez!

Are you drinking on the weekends again? ;-)

Yuri!

Yuri!

Agreed, Rami- a glossary is sometimes needed for slang

Time and place both affect recognition of slang.

Different parts of the US, Canada, & elsewhere in the world, can make this type of slang incomprehensible.

But, isn't that what it is intended to do when it gets started ... a secret language within a language that young people can use to disguise their meaning, until the adults begin to catch on?

And if you think you've lost touch, 3 of my grand kids have kids ...

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

glossary

If you ever get confused by modern slang, try Urban Dictionary. In this case, it was definition 1 of "Get out" and definition 2 of "Shut up.

The real difference in the two ways of using these phrases is in the inflection, which is hard to convey in written form. The positive versions put equal stress on each word and pause slightly between them, wherease in the negative versions you would stress the first word and say the second word more quickly.

Viral

I had that type of inflection, once. Now I'm immune....
:-)
Michelle