The Violet Ajah : Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

This is a fanfic (short for fanfiction) set in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time setting. The setting and any characters that are not original characters are fully the property of Robert Jordan, his widow (Harriet Rigby), his estate, his posthumous co-author/successor (Brandon Sanderson), and his publishers. At the end of each chapter will be posted a guide to how to pronounce terms and names -- be sure to leave a comment asking to add any term or name that was missed or that you need clarification.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose across the waters of the River Erinin. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time.

But it was -a- beginning...

The Violet Ajah
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Chapter 1


Aes Sedai

The whisper-soft touch speeding along docks and across dockworkers, where they struggled to get the morning catches off of river-fishers and the cargo from the early barges. Wending its way through the fabled city of Tar Valon and toward the legendary home of the Aes Sedai. Laundry left hanging from upper-floor windows, pies left to cool on windowsills, and even a few hammocks filled with forms topped with a hat covering a face for a nap. Children played in the streets, men spoke of the weather with the authority of such things, women chatted about everything else with amusement at the men, and almost no one looked toward the centerpiece of the city standing above all else. The White Tower rose as serenely from the center of the island city as most of the Aes Sedai that inhabited it. It glittered -- sparkled, really -- and seemed to watch over everything in the city and beyond, even onto the banks of the River Erinin and the villages there that traded with those in the city.

The dampness it bore was a cooling influence, and all who felt it would sigh a bit and smile before going back to whatever business each happened to be engaged in at the moment. Sylantia Naltorr sat in the chair and wished for a book to read as the wind fluttered the rainbow striped hem of her white dress. She watched the gate as diligently as a Novice, but as an Accepted her mind tended to wander toward the pursuits she wanted to follow if (when!) she were raised to the shawl. It was no secret that she favored the Brown Ajah, and she didn't mind that nearly everyone in the Tower knew it. So she was finding ways to make the task interesting by making a game of counting the stones in the wall by the gate, when the boy limped through it. He fixed his eyes on her, as a thirsty man in the desert would fix his eyes on an oasis, and steadfastly walked toward her.

Out of respect for his struggle, she stood but remained by her chair. When he got to her, he lifted a stone cylinder.

"Message. Moiraine Sedai," he said, as though that was everything that needed said.

And really... it was. Sylantia nodded to him and gently guided the weary boy to her chair. He shuddered as he sat.

"I will take the message to Moiraine Sedai, you sit and rest," she gently told him.

His reaction was not quite what she expected.

He threw back his head and laughed, then snorted at her and held the stone cylinder out to her. She reached out to take it and had to turn away and be violently ill.

Spitting out the foul remains of what had once been lunch, she looked askance at him.

He shrugged, and said, "You can't take it, I can't let it go."

She frowned but had an idea. She trotted over to where she could see the Warders-in-training practicing. Then she saw Moiraine Sedai's Lan there instructing them, so instead of asking one of the men to watch the gate while she fetched Moiraine Sedai, she cast a quick glance at the -- now sleeping -- boy and jogged over to the edge of the training circle, waiting to get his attention.

After a few moments, he caught her "subtle" tries to get his attention and stepped over toward her.

"Yes?"

The girl swallowed hard. She would never get used to this gruff man. "A... a message,"she began, "for Moiraine Sedai."

"I shall take it to her," replied Lan Mandragoran. However, the meek girl's response startled him -- though you'd never have known that from looking at him.

"No."

He turned to look at her now.

"It... it must be given directly to Moiraine Sedai. I already tried to take it to deliver and regretted it," she explained with a grimace of distaste.

Lan nodded. If it were to be given to Moiraine, it would be given to Moiraine. Why was this girl telling him?

"I cannot leave the gate unattended, and I thought..." she said, refusing to let herself stare at the ground while talking to the man.

Ah.

"I will inform Moiraine, Accepted Sylantia," he responded and turned back to the training.

It was her turn to be startled. He knew her name? But she was just another Accepted! Unless... unless the stories of how protective he was were true. Stories of how he not only knew everyone in Tar Valon on sight, but knew their history and how likely they were to try to harm Moiraine Sedai so he could stop any such thing from happening. She felt sick again, and it had nothing to do with touching the tube. She went back and rather than make the poor boy get back up, she stood behind her chair and continued her vigil.

* * * * * * *

Moiraine had given the exhausted messenger boy a silver and sent him off to an inn to rest, but she would be summoning him back that evening to find out if he knew more about the situation. Which, of course, depended on the message she had yet to read. It turns out that the cylinder was a message tube -- and a ter'angreal -- of that she was certain. It even made Lan ill when he touched it, and the boy couldn't let it go until Moiraine herself touched it. She hadn't as yet given much thought to the message that must lie inside, as she had been trying to study the tube. She picked up the tube once again and turned it over in her hands. Surely she needn't break it open to get the message out? As soon as the thought occurred to her, the tube seemed to slide apart, one end out of the other smoothly. A light blue scrap of parchment wafted to the floor as she looked on startled, holding the two pieces of the message ter'angreal. She set the halves into a hidden niche below her bed, and retrieved the message.

Moiraine,

as you've no doubt realized by now, I've finally used my marker. There is a situation here that I cannot describe as anything but dire, and it needs to be kept more secret than anything any Aes Sedai has ever held in a darkened corner of her soul. I would not call you to me with such a favor if there were any other choice, but I am convinced that only you, and Siuan perhaps, will know who can handle this situation carefully enough to avoid exposing a secret that could destroy the White Tower. My guess is that you will know as soon as you arrive and are appraised of the situation who to call upon. Yes, even with this ter'angreal guarding my message, I dare not reveal it unless absolutely certain that no possibility of this information being allowed into the wrong ears exists.

Please come as soon as possible... If this works out the way I envision, you could have some new Novices to take back to the Tower with you.

Aranessa

She folded the message neatly and slid it under her bodice next to her hip. She ran through the centering exercises that had become habit since her long ago days as a Tower Novice, then forced herself to walk sedately to the window and sit instead of simply dashing over and curling up as she wanted to do. She stared out the window of her room and thought about the contents of the message. Thought hard.

* * * * * * *

At the Sailor's Rest, purported by the innkeeper to have the softest beds in Tar Valon, Saren politely refused a meal and collapsed into one of those beds. Truthfully, though, he wouldn't have been able to tell you how soft they were. From the moment he came in contact with the down-stuffed mattress he slept a dreamless sleep. When he awoke, he felt better than he had since Lady Aranessa had given him the tube...

"Please, Saren," she had said, "forgive me. This will be a hardship on you, but it must be done this way. Take that tube to Tar Valon. Release it only into the hands of Moiraine Sedai, as it contains a confidential message."

"Don't worry, 'Nessa," he had answered so cheerfully, "I'm strong enough to make it all the way to Tar Valon, don't grief yourself on my account."

She smiled wanly and kissed him on the top of his head before sending him on his way with another murmured apology. It wasn't until hours later when he had wearily stopped to rest that he discovered that to let go of the odd cylinder was to have the world spin around him and shift back and forth under him as though on the deck of a ship on rough seas. He had to keep a firm grip on it at all times to avoid the feeling. So for the entire long journey from Cairhein to Tar Valon, he had avoided inns and houses, anywhere that anyone might see the tube and try to take it from him. He hadn't slept until he was so exhausted he had no choice for the entire trip. The first he had slept was under an overhanging rock three days after he had left Cairhein in the distance. He had collapsed and the sharp rocks digging mercilessly into his legs and back hadn't mattered as he had drifted into sleep.

He hadn't any idea, when he woke, of the amount of time he had slept in his own pool of vomit and bile, but it was not a pleasant way to come awake. After shaking off as much of the ichor as possible, he noticed that the shadows hadn't really lengthened all that much, but he moved onward anyway. The stolen boat he used to cross the Erinin, the trip north to Darein and into Tar Valon. He didn't even want to think about the encounter near the Dragonmount.

Of course, as soon as that occurred to him, his mind inexorably replayed the scene.

He had stayed off the road for a few hours, so he hadn't seen anyone. He was so tired, he wanted a quiet place to rest and maybe curl up around the tube so he couldn't drop it. Heading toward a small copse of trees, his weariness caused him to not be as alert as he really should have been.

That's when they circled him.

"Wh-what do you w-want?" his fear made his stutter return.

"What do you have there, son?" asked the one with the beard.

"It's a message for an Aes Sedai, you'd better let me go! If they find out you stopped a message, you'll have to deal with them!" he had cried out.

"I think," said the small one, "that you're right."

The last of the three looked at the small one like he had gone insane, his mouth dropping open in shock.

The bearded one paused in his advance, too.

"That is," smirked the small one, "that if they find out there'll be a price we have to pay. So, boys, we'd better make sure that they Aes Sedai never find out!"

The three came at him, then, and he'd been too frightened to hear what they were saying then. He clutched the tube tightly to his chest and tried to run away, but they easily blocked his way.

"Give us the tube, boy," said the bearded one.

"I-I can't!"

That's when the small one had reached in to grab the tube, and had Saren not had such a grasp on it, would have deftly plucked it from his fingers. The sudden explosive retching from both Saren and their man at the same time had made the other two step back.

"You okay, Mel--"

"Vraauugh! No names you, Vraauugh! Idiot!" was the reply, followed by enough vomiting that he let go of the tube. Saren's nausea and dry heaving stopped immediately and he again turned to run away, only to be grabbed this time by the bearded one.

"What did you do to him, boy?"

"N-N-Nothing! It w-was the m-m-m-message! It m-made m-me sick, too, w-when he tou-touched it! Let m-me go, p-p-please!"

The man squinted at Saren as he thought and then very deliberately reached a hand slowly toward the tube. Of course Saren tried to keep it away from the man's touch.

"N-No!"

With a snarl, the bearded man dropped Saren, and grabbed one end of the tube at the same time. Again, the twin gouts of regurgitation exploded. The first man was still retching, though it wasn't the message tube making him, now.

The bearded man turned his head to coat poor Saren, as he still struggled with the tube, finally giving up when his grip slipped due to the slimy mess.

Saren, again freed from the necessity to attempt to empty his stomach ran again. This time, however, the three men let him go. When he saw how close he was to Tar Valon, by the sight of the White Tower rising in the distance, he kept running. Vowing not to stop until he was there. Of course, he didn't realize the distance and ended up slowing to a plod along the road he now found himself on. The stink of the bandits' induced nausea kept any other travellers on the road away from his immediate proximity. In fact, they were giving him a wide berth. The guard at the bridge across the Erinin into the city wouldn't even let him cross until he rinsed himself in the waters.

And then he was there. He vaguely remembered the girl in the white dress giving him a chair, and then the lady in blue was there, and said she was Moiraine Sedai. It must have been true, because she was able to take the tube -- which she called a ter'angreal. She had seemed happy about the blighted thing, well, as happy as any Aes Sedai ever does, anyway.

She had handed him a silver and told him where to go, and to not leave Tar Valon until she had been able to "interview" him. If the Aes Sedai wanted to pay for him to recover in a fancy inn instead of a root cellar at the local stables, he wasn't going to complain. When he woke up, he stretched, then winced at the pain in his weary-sore muscles. He dressed and then slowly went down the hall, down the stairs, and into the common room to see if there were still anything to fill his belly. The Innkeeper's wife gave him a bowl of quite tasty stew -- better than anything Lerie could make, anywhat. He was scraping the bottom of his second bowl when a large man in a cloak you couldn't quite look at walked into the common room. Saren had a tickle in the back of his memory of this man being there when he gave the tube to Moiraine Sedai.

The large man looked right at him, as though he had known where in the room that Saren would be sitting and merely nodded. Saren somehow knew that this meant that the Aes Sedai, Moiraine Sedai, was summoning him for his "interview" now. He drained the last of the water from the mug sitting next to his now-empty bowl, nodded to the Innkeeper's wife and slid off his stool and went to join Lan.

* * * * * * *

"Aranessa?" asked Siuan, "After all these years? This is important, then."

Moiraine watched while her old friend stood and began to pace sedately back and forth, thinking of the implications this message brought with it. She paused and smiled slightly, paced back and forth a few more times, and then stopped as she began to form a weave that was both recognizeable and strange to Moiraine. Once finished, five small threads broke off and flew for an arm's length before vanishing. Siuan Sanche looked up to the face of her bemused old friend.

"We thought a lot of those short-message weaves we learned as Novices would be useless once we were raised, remember? Hah. I use them more as Amyrlin Seat than both of us combined ever used them as Novice and Accepted together!"

With a chuckle, Moiraine simply waited. It wasn't but a moment more when Leane Sharif gracefully entered the chamber. Her blue stole marked her as Keeper of the Chronicles raised from the Blue Ajah, but her smile at seeing the two within marked her as being their friend.

"We are waiting on four others. They will go with you, Moiraine. They have earned my full trust, and three of them will be accompanying you. Since the message mentions Novices, I've also summoned Sheriam."

The other two nodded and Leane situated herself standing behind Siuan's chair, as the Amyrlin re-seated herself. It was only a short time before the other four women arrived one after the other, with Sheriam being the last in the Chamber.

Moiraine surveyed the three that would be travelling with her. She subtlely measured herself against them, and knew they would be deferring to her. With that, she smiled warmly at all of them and nodded each time Siuan looked to her to verify as the Amyrlin was relating the story about the message as she knew it.

When the meeting was done, there were three in the Tower that knew where the other four were going when they left the next morning. Siuan Sanche, the Amyrlin Seat; Leane Sharif, the Keeper of Chronicles, and Sheriam Bayanar, the Mistress of Novices. Travelling to Cairhein would be Moiraine Damodred of the Blue Ajah and her Warder Lan Mandragoran, Ramene Embrall of the Gray Ajah and her Warder Yorn Harika, Adeleas Namelle of the Brown Ajah, and Vandene Namelle of the Green Ajah and her Warder Jaem. Of interest to note were that Adeleas Sedai and Vandene Sedai were twin sisters.

* * * * * * *

Saren felt much better with food in his belly and having slept some, but the best of all was that he didn't have the tube anymore. The large man had to be a Warder, likely Moiraine Sedai's. He never had understood what a Warder really did, though.

"Are you Moiraine Sedai's Warder?"

"Yes."

"Are you Moiraine Sedai's husband?"

"No."

"My name is Saren, what's yours?"

"Lan."

"Are you Moiraine Sedai's servant?"

"No."

"Is it true a Warder will die for the Aes Sedai he protects?"

"Yes."

"You're taking me to her now, right?"

"Yes."

"Have you ever had to --"

"Enough. You will hold your tongue until you are asked questions."

He hadn't said it gruff, or even loud. He had, in fact, answered the questions in an even tone that seemed neither interested nor bored. But there was something about how Lan said that last, despite lack of anything Saren could identify, that made him certain that the best course was to follow that... well, order.

* * * * * * *

The boy hadn't really known anything about the situtation that prompted the message from Aranessa, but had insight into the ter'angreal that had been used as a message tube. Not a pleasant device in any definition, but effective to guarantee that a messenger would fight his hardest not to be compromised. Moiraine decided as she dismissed the boy -- Saren -- that she would have to get Aranessa to show her how to use the ter'angreal. She had spent the remainder of the evening packing appropriately for a trip to Cairhein, including packing for perhaps detours or further destinations, and included the ter'angreal in her chest among her other small treasures. She set out a dress for travelling, shades of blue, of course, and appropriate jewelry for her station. She would have a hot bath tonight, so that she could simply rise and dress in the morning, since her packing was finished. Lan would see to it that the horses were ready for all seven of them.

The other three women going along had less idea of what they were supposed to pack.

This was the first trip outside the Tower that Adeleas had made since being raised to the shawl. Not that she was new to being a full Aes Sedai, she simply found more interest in studying that which was already here. However, there was plenty outside the Tower to learn, and she was not going to be resentful of an opportunity to travel abroad. Besides, it was fun to tease Vandene, even now that they were "grown ups" and Aes Sedai at that! Travel clothes, a book, and a notebook and an inkpot, maybe? She chewed on the end of her honey-colored braid, in the same habit she had been trying to break since she and Vandene were children in Maradon. Making a noise of frustration, she dropped the braid and looked in her mirror. She was perhaps a trifle heavier than her sister now, but by no means any less attractive. They both had the nose that turned up slightly at the tip, right above a well-formed and full mouth. Their eyes were the same blue crystal color, and they were of a height. The only over difference to someone who didn't know them would be her sister's new habit of working her hair with the dyes she makes from plants, so that her hair was no longer the honey color they had shared their whole lives, but a deep red so dark it seemed to be between black and purple in the right light. And Vandene made certain she stood in the right light. As often as possible.

Ramene's lean form was just packing her basics, unlike some of the others in the Gray Ajah, she saw no need to take gaudy jewels to fascinate those she was to be negotiating with for anything. They seemed to respond better to her when it was simply straightforward. Of course, if she were larger in the bust and not quite so... lanky... and maybe even had the talent with hair that some of the others seemed to have, perhaps it would be a valid tactic at the table. No idea how long they would be gone, no idea if they would remain in Cairhien or be moving on elsewhere. She wasn't the best known of the Gray in the Tower, but she was known to be competent. And since she was known to have talked Wilders into coming to the Tower without a struggle, she figured the remark about a new group of novices being a possibility seemed to be why she was asked along. Someone to negotiate with a group of Wilders. Of course, she would never say so aloud, but she privately didn't see what the problem with alternate ways to do things was. Just because it's not the standard way that Aes Sedai are taught to do something doesn't automatically make it inferior. At least, not in her opinion. Wondering what the vast majority of the others in the Tower would think if they knew she had been a Wilder, she closed her pack with a firm pull on the cinching buckle and left it on her bed as she went to find Yorn.

Watching Jaem carefully pack away everything the two of them would need in the field, Vandene let her mind wander back to the days right after she had bound him as her Warder. He had been reluctant at first, as he had been in love with Adeleas, but eventually he professed his loyalty to Vandene outweighed the misplaced fondness he had for her sister when they had all been young. She sighed a happy sigh and stood. She brushed some imagined lint off of her skirt before walking over to him and lightly caressing his face. He didn't pause in his chore, simply smiled as he continued.

The next morning, the four Aes Sedai and the three Warders set out for Cairhein on horseback, trailing a mule with a few supplies, and two mules that had bags and carry-rigs, but nothing on them. Moiraine had given Saren enough silver to stay in Tar Valon for another three days, and have enough left to hire passage back to Cairhein. He would be leaving for Cairhein about the time they arrived there. She was puzzled about what was going on, but knew better than to attempt to discern before finding out facts.

It was a chilly morning, but the group headed southeast from the Tower itself, and used the bridge into Osenrein to cross the Osendrelle Erinin. Of the villages surrounding Tar Valon, Osenrein likely saw the most traffic out of sheer convenience. It was in the direction of Cairhien from Tar Valon, so it was just the easiest.

* * * * * * *

Moving through the market in Osenrein, even the raucous calls from those wanting to sell their wares to strangers ceased as the group moved down the way. Osenrein was close enough to Tar Valon that the citizens knew a group of Aes Sedai when they saw it. They also knew Warders when they saw them, and though Lan and Yorn were large and deadly looking, they were more afraid of wiry Jaem. If the woman in green were of the Green Ajah, and he rode by her, that makes him her Warder. The skills of the Warders of the Battle Ajah were tales whispered in the dark of the taverns after those in the conversation had already had too much mead. The stories from the Trolloc War still told of many of those men doing things that just weren't possible.

The group was mostly silent, but now and then one would lean to speak to another and point. Most of the merchants would then make a gift to the Aes Sedai in question the item of her fancy.

"Aren't they foolish?" Adeleas remarked in an aside where the other three women could all hear her, but not the merchant who was falling over himself to hand to Yorn the entire smoked leg of lamb that Ramene had remarked would be perfect foundation of their meals between Tar Valon and Cairhien.

"Not so much," was Ramene's reply as she nudged her horse forward to thank the merchant.

"What does that mean?" asked the Brown.

"It means he's going to make a mound of coin when word gets around that an Aes Sedai specifically requested HIS smoked lamb, Adi," replied Vandene.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense," was Adeleas' thoughtful response.

"That's why the man didn't require us to pay," remarked Moiraine in an undertone.

"Sir!"

All seven turned to the insistent voice.

"Sir!" this time, the little man with the red shoes was obviously speaking to Jaem.

"Yes?" came the voice from the smaller man, that always managed to sound as though Jaem was fighting to keep from laughing.

"I notice, sir, that you carry a quarterstaff."

"That's a keen eye you got there. Not many can identify a stick with such determination."

The man ignored the obvious sarcasm, and replied, "You are part of the reason this town exists, sir, as without you and your Mistress--"

Vandene stifled a giggle.

"-- we all, here in Osenrein, would have been overrun during the Trolloc War."

"This a history lesson? Because really, I just am not that old."

"Oh, of course you aren't, sir! How droll! No, I meant that I would like to offer you a finely crafted sword from my shop as a mark of gratitude that men such as yourself still serve in such a capacity!" he positively beamed at Jaem.

Another outfitter wanted to give Lan armor, and a third wanted to outfit the Aes Sedai themselves. They did take up the merchants and hawkers on their offers when they offered something worthwhile, though. There was even an inn that offered to give them free accomodation so that they would be rested for their journey.

This behavior continued all the way through the town. This was the reason for the two mules that weren't carrying anything. By the time they reached the far side of the little town, one was burdened fully with supplies for camping out between cities and the other carried enough food to qualify as a larder. They headed out of the small town and the road ahead opened up before them, the four women carrying on a slow conversation speculating on what they would find in Cairhein, the three men silently gesturing now and then as they kept watch for any threat. It was a mostly pleasant journey, free of any complications.

At least, until they made camp for the first night.


Pronunciation Guide (Arranged Alphabetically)

* * *


Adeleas Namelle ahd-eh-LAY-uhs   nah-MEHL Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah, twin sister of Vandene. She has no Warder.
Aes Sedai EYE   seh-DYE The female users of the One Power, who tap into Saidar to "weave" magic into spells.
Aiel aye-EEL Desert dwelling people considered by most to be savages.
Ajah ah-ZHAH The different schools of thought of application of use of the One Power by the Aes Sedai are grouped into Ajahs, who identify themselves by a color, and are represented among other Aes Sedai by wearing a shawl of the color of the Ajah to which one belongs.
Alric AHL-rihk The Warder of Siuan Sanche.
Amyrlin (Seat) AHM-ehr-lihn The leader of the Aes Sedai, ostensibly the most powerful, either in use of the One Power, or politically (or both).
Angreal AHN-gree-ahl Objects which allow those who can channel to draw more of the One Power than they normally could without harming themselves. While all angreal offer this benefit, they do vary considerably in strength (the amount of additional access to the One Power that they provide). All known angreal are aligned for use by either a channeller of Saidar or Saidin, never both.
Aranessa Fovall ahr-ah-NESS-uh   FOH-vawl An Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah, and apparently an old friend of Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche from Cairhein.
Blue Ajah BLOO   ah-ZHAH The Blue Ajah pursues causes and justice. They are the second smallest Ajah but have great influence, due to their involvement in world events as well as the large number of Amyrlins raised from the Blue. The Blue Ajah has a long friendship with the Green Ajah, and, though they disagree on certain points, have a decent relationship with the Brown. Also despite its size, the Blue Ajah has the largest eyes-and-ears network of all Ajahs. It is headed by a woman called the First Selector.

All Ajahs have certain traditions, and a number of the Blue’s have been established. These traditions include: never wearing red inside the Tower and wearing all blue on the first of each month. It is assumed that each Ajah has weaves known only to its members, two such weaves of the Blue Ajah’s are: a weave that causes insects to gather and bite as one, and one to cause fear in the viewer.

Brown Ajah BROWN   ah-ZHAH The Brown Ajah is devoted to the study and collection of knowledge. Brown sisters can often be found in the Great Library of the White Tower, which they administer, searching for new knowledge and subjects to study. While abroad, Browns frequently carry note and sketchbooks in which they document nearly everything they come across. They often lose touch with the rest of the world, leading most to believe that Browns are somewhat distant and naíve.

Unlike the other Ajahs, the Brown is headed not by a single woman but by a ruling council. The head of this council is known as the Head Librarian. They are also the most knowledgeable Ajah when it comes to the Tower and lore of the One Power, although they are also generally knowledgeable in many subjects.

For the past few centuries the Brown Ajah have had some disagreements with the Blue, though they still share a positive working relationship.

Cairhein kye-REE-ihn A country and with a capitol city of the same name in the northeast, bordering on the Aiel Wastes.
(River) Erinin AIR-ee-nin The river that runs north to south between Cairhein and the Black Hills, which widens at one point and has the island city of Tar Valon situated within it, with the river continuing on either side (east and west) of the island.
Gray Ajah GRAY   ah-ZHAH Little is known about the Gray Ajah. They are mediators and ambassadors, and commonly dispense justice through the law. The Gray Ajah has on a great number of occasions stopped wars and other conflicts through their skill in crafting agreements and drafting treaties.

The only other important fact that is truly known about the Gray Ajah is that they are headed by a woman known as the Head Clerk. The Gray Ajah also attempted to hold together the coalition of nations that fought against the Aiel in the Aiel War, but failed. It can be assumed that the Gray Ajah is quite skilled at political maneuvering.

Green Ajah GREEN   ah-ZHAH While all Aes Sedai make it their business to combat the Shadow, the Green Ajah specializes in this kind of military and combat activity. In the Trolloc Wars, they were often called the Battle Ajah, as they participated in almost every battle. They are headed by a woman known as the Captain-General.

Greens are rarely without Warders, who provide an obvious benefit to any channeler in a battle zone, but even more than that members of the Green Ajah are well-known for their love of men, making them ideologically opposite to the Reds. The Green is the only Ajah to permit the bonding of more than one Warder, and there is apparently no limit to the number of bonded, though seven is the highest number shown so far. Also, Greens are generally the only Aes Sedai to marry their Warders, and those who do are usually among the few of their Ajah to have only one Warder. They have had a long-standing friendship with the Blues, and generally oppose the Reds.

Jaem JAYM The Warder of Vandene Namelle, if any knows his surname, they aren't mentioning it. Known to favor the quarterstaff as a weapon.
Lan Mandragoran LAN   man-drah-gor-ANN The Warder of Moiraine Damodred.
Leane Sharif lee-ANN   shuh-REEF Keeper of the Chronicles under Siuan Sanche as Amyrlin Seat. She has no Warder.
Maradon muh-RAD-uhn Capitol of the country of Saldea.
Moiraine Damodred mwah-RAIN   dah-MOH-drehd An Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah, and one of the major characters of both the series and this story. She has one Warder, Lan Mandragoran.
Ramene Embrall rah-MEE-neh   im-BRAHL Aes Sedai of the Gray Ajah. She has one Warder, Yorn Harika.
Red Ajah REHD   ah-ZHAH The Red Ajah is strongly dedicated to preventing another Breaking of the World. This Ajah seeks out and gentles men who can channel Saidin, generally by sensing the residue left by weavings of Saidin. Its leader is known as the Highest.

Reds are rarely raised to the Amyrlin Seat; there have only been two throughout recorded history. The two Reds that became Amyrlin were both deposed, and the only two Amyrlins to have been deposed.

Reds have had a long-standing feud with the Blue Ajah. This feud began when Bonwhin (BAWN-win), the last Red to have been made Amyrlin, tried to control Artur Hawkwing (AR-tur   HAWK-weeng), leading to an attempted invasion of Tar Valon and a breaking within the Tower itself. Bonwhin was replaced by a Blue sister, Deane Aryman (DEE-ann   AH-ree-man), and the two Ajahs have been at odds ever since.

Sa'angreal sah-AHN-gree-ahl Like angreal, but much more powerful. As with angreal, all sa'angreal offer this benefit, but vary considerably in strength (the amount of additional access to the One Power that they provide) and are aligned for use by either a channeller of Saidar or Saidin, never both.

Most angreal and sa'angreal are constructed with a buffer to protect the user from drawing too much of the Power.

Angreal are rare; sa'angreal are extremely rare.

Saidar sye-DAHR The feminine half of the One Power.
Saidin sye-DIHN The masculine half of the One Power.
Saldea sahl-DAY-uh Largest of the northern countries that border the Blight.
Saren SAIR-ihn The boy that travelled from Cairhein to Tar Valon with the Message ter'angreal for Moiraine from Aranessa.
Sedai seh-DYE Term of respect appended to the name of an Aes Sedai.
Sheriam Bayanar shuh-RYE-uhm   BYE-uh-nahr Mistress of Novices under Siuan Sanche as Amyrlin Seat. She has no Warder.
Siuan Sanche suh-WAHN   SAN-chay The Amyrlin Seat of the Aes Sedai. She has one Warder, Alric.
Sylantia Naltorr sye-LAN-tee-ah   NAHL-tor An Accepted at the White Tower.
Tar Valon TAR   vah-LON Island city that has within its borders, the White Tower which is the home to the Aes Sedai. There are six bridges which cross the two splits of the River Erinin (Alindrelle (ay-lihn-DRELL) Erinin to the west and Osendrelle(oh-sihn-DRELL) Erinin to the east of the island), three on each side of the island, with the harbors to the north and south ends of the island. Each of these six bridges end in a village that attaches itself to Tar Valon. On the West, from north to south is Manadon (muh-NAD-uhn), Darein (dah-REE-ihn), and Alindaer (ay-lihn-DAYR). On the East, from north to south is Lugagde (LOO-gay-dee), Daghain (dah-GAYN), and Osenrein (oh-sihn-REE-ihn).
Ter'angreal tuhr-AHN-gree-ahl Objects that use the One Power to perform specific functions. Some ter'angreal do not require the One Power to be used for their activation. While not as rare as angreal or sa'angreal, the method of making them was believed to be lost for thousands of years, until recently.
Vandene Namelle van-DEEN   nah-MEHL Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah, twin sister of Adeleas. She has one Warder, Jaem.
White Ajah WYYT   ah-ZHAH The smallest of the Ajahs, the White Ajah concerns itself with questions of philosophy, truth and logic. Whites consider themselves beyond the social causes that drive most of the other Ajahs and believe that they have no place for the material knowledge that the Browns, and, to a lesser extent, Yellows seek. Whites are often describes as showing incredibly little emotion (coincidentally, and somewhat ironically, white is the colour of mourning in the Wheel of Time).

The White Ajah was the first Ajah to make the connection between the gentling crusade of the Reds and the dwindling numbers of channelers, and suggested that gentled men should breed with Aes Sedai in the hope of producing more channelers. However, one sister suggested that, since the Whites had advocated the idea, they should therefore be the ones to bear these children. The Whites declined.

In the past Whites have been friendly with Blues. In general, they opposed Reds, they are headed by a woman known as the First Reasoner.

Yellow Ajah YEHL-oh   ah-ZHAH The Yellow Ajah is the only Ajah that is completely dedicated to one of the Talents, namely Healing, which not all sisters are adept with but which is considered a requirement for entering the Yellow Ajah.

The Yellow Ajah has traditionally used a method of healing that utilises only Water, Air, and Spirit. This method draws on strength from the person being healed, which results in the person becoming weak and ravenous, despite being physically healthy. This method of healing also causes a kind of shock; this shock can kill the grievously injured, small children and animals before the Healing has a chance to take effect.

The Yellow Ajah is headed by a woman known as the First Weaver. This Ajah also has a relatively small network of Eyes and Ears. The Yellow Ajah uses a bouquet of yellow flowers strung upside down with a yellow ribbon as an emergency signal. A Yellow identifies herself to an agent of the eyes and ears network by saying something containing the words yellow and heal.

Yorn Harika YORN   haw-REE-kah The Warder of Ramene Embrall.

up
49 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent!

I'm eager for more!!

This easily stands up to the standard of Robert Jordan's work, and I truly wish it would see print in dead tree format.

Battery.jpg

Dead Trees

Edeyn Unfortunately, it can't. Fanfiction is that way, unless the author has authorized writing in his setting for the publishers. If it makes you feel any better, we could arrange for a book-format arrangement when it's all done and print it out. Maybe get an artist (like Heather Rose Brown) to illustrate a cover.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Thirsty

terrynaut's picture

The setting seems so real, it makes me thirsty. I can almost taste the dust that I'm sure blows around the streets. Bleah! :)

The private messenger magic sure is harsh, but at least it's effective. That was a nice touch.

Leading the two mules that didn't initially carry anything reminds me of packing a full suitcase inside a slightly larger suitcase so you can bring two full suitcases home. Nice, especially since they get the free goodies. Must be nice! :)

Thanks and please keep up the good work. I hope nothing and no one gets you down to stop you from writing and posting.

- Terry

You know

Edeyn I originally didn't have the empty mules. I was writing the scene in town and the thought occurred to me... where are they gonna put their SWAG? So I went back and wrote in the two mules. It makes sense. Tar Valon is a political/geographical entity on its own, that protects the mundanes within its borders, so it'd be like the stuff given to celebrities for the free endorsement that brings.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Aes Sedai

I have little comment to reference table. I'd like to point out, that Aes Sedai weren't only female, but male too, until DarkOne ("Temný" in czech translation, I didn't read original) dirtied Saidín by his touch, which created time of madness.

On other note, this fanfic seems really interesting, I'm looking forward to next chapter.

Robin

Breaking of the World

Edeyn The Dark One tainted Saidar during the Breaking of the World. That was long, long ago. The tainting by the Dark One was approximately 4,000 years before the books began (sources vary from 3,941 years to 4,122 years). It's somewhere between 200 and 300 years less than that when the last male Aes Sedai died. So, for a lot longer than recorded history in THIS world, the Aes Sedai have ONLY been female.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. This was quite the endeavor! It's taking me somewhere between 2 and 3 hours to edit a chapter, and incorporate the notes I've made of things I missed and suggestions from others.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Thank you for your kind and

Thank you for your kind and quick reply. But must you be already very tired, becaused you made another two mistakes. We are talking about saidin (male side) not saidar (female side), and second is mistype of word male. But on other theme than my perfectionism, I appreciate the notes you make to it. Only it reads so good so far, that that timetable of posting really scares me. At best, I'd want it read all at once. Its a little strange. In books I like, I always dig in, reading in sessions till the end. Once time I read potter 6 from 10pm to 11 morning, the same happens here, but its breaking too soon and without proper ending. "Sigh" But I'll survive XD

Mistakes

Edeyn Saidar vs Saidin is a common mistake, even on the forums dedicated to WoT, as Saidin sounds more "soft" and thus more attributable to the female side. As long as it's not in the story itself that it's wrong, so be it. The commentary isn't part of the story, after all.

But as to your other complaint, I don't see where I misspelled 'male' at all. Point it out to me.

I read fast, too... I read the 5th Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 870 pages) in just about 5½ hours. If you really can't handle it one chapter at a time like this... I can keep your name or email handy and email you in 10-15 chapter intervals, or even wait longer if you'd like.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Wonderful!

This is a wonderful first chapter! I hope we'll be seeing more of Sylantia and Saren. Right now the story looks like it's going to focus on the Aes Sedai and the Warders, but I'm hoping there will eventually be more on these others as well. Everyone in this story just feels so intriguing, and I'd love to be able to get to know all of them. :)

Hmmm

Edeyn You wouldn't be asking for spoilers, now would ya Sis? Because that just isn't gonna happen. Although I will say that at first I had used Merana Ambrey (a Gray Ajah member from the books) instead of Ramene Embrall. The fact that she had no Warder put a kink in that plan, though.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Spoilers?

*putting on a wide-eyed, innocent look*

Me? Asking for spoilers? Why, I'd nev-- okay, maybe I was asking for spoilers. Sorry 'bout that. It's just hard when you've come to really like some characters to wonder if you'll ever see them again. I'll try and be patient. :)

yeah... try

Edeyn Try hard, or else you'll be the victim of a TICKLE SNARFLE! MuAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA...er...

I mean, you'll pay the price for impatience.


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Chapter 1

Wonderful chapter. I enjoyed the part with the boy who brought the note and how the ter'angreal made things hard for him and those that sought to have it from him. Makes me hope no Aes Sedai ever gives me one of those kind of notes!

Things are shaping up nicely so far and I hope we get to see more 'known' faces from Mr. Jordan's fantastic series as the chapters flow forward. The part about the free food and how the vendor would use the fact that an Aes Sedai ate it and LOVED it brings a little more life to the WoT universe.

I'm ready for more and almost wished two chapters posted at once instead of two as each posting so far leaves me hungry for more and more. All I can do is hope that each week passes with as much speed as this last one did so I can enjoy each new chapter as it post.

-j-

An old forum

Edeyn That I used to frequent in the late 90s, there was a discussion about ter'angreal -- the Aes Sedai were the ruling class, and that means that there would be a lot of items crafted that would be convenient for them, but not likely convenient for the mundanes. So, that in mind is what made the message tube so... nasty.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

More!

You have me thirsting for more! Mysterious messages and journeys to faraway cities. What else do one need to start off a good story?

Hugs!

grover

Thanks!

Edeyn I'm glad that you and everyone that commented are enjoying this, it's been quite the ride to write and now edit it! I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions of everyone here as the plot develops.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Having read The Wheel Of

Having read The Wheel Of Time, more than once :-D, I am really looking forward to The Violet Ajah. Thank You!

Brenda

You're welcome!

Edeyn I really enjoyed writing this, and am hoping that the readers who aren't familiar with the Wheel of Time can enjoy it, too. That's why I'm trying to be so comprehensive with the glossary and such. The idea for this entire story hit me all at once and I sketched out an outline (which I -never- do) and then set about trying to contact Jordan... and I did... and he approved of me writing a fanfic prequel -- as long as I made it clear it was NOT part of canon -- and then I wrote it and then he died. D'oh-eth. Worked on getting permission again after that.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Thanks for the Glossary

terrynaut's picture

I haven't read The Wheel of Time so I appreciate the glossary. I'd be a little lost without it.

I'm confused about something though. You're not getting any money for this story, are you? If not, why do you need permission to post it? After reading about all the copyright concerns and knowing how readily people will sue, I'm scared of writing any fan fiction.

- Terry

Technically, I didn't

Edeyn But to me, it seemed to be kinda the polite thing to do. Robert Jordan was a pretty accessible author when he was alive (he had a blog, and answered emails and blog comments personally), and so it really wasn't that difficult to contact him.

And you're welcome about the glossary. I remember the first time I read a Dragonriders of Pern novel, the glossary helped me soooo much...


Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

good start

It's been a while since I've read the WoT series, but some of these characters sprang back to mind as if I had read it last week. Good job, Edeyn, I'm looking forward to more chapters of Vioet Ajah.

I don't remember that short message weave from the series, though it is COOL and would have been pretty useful if Jordon had thought of it.

A.A.

Short Message Weave

Edeyn Robert Jordan did mention in the series that Novices and Accepted tend to have little weaves that they find useful that they keep secret from the full Aes Sedai (or think they do) and others of their "class" other than friends. Moiraine and Siuan seemed to me to be the type to develop a way to "pass notes" to each other. And well, it just makes sense to use it in everyday usage as Amyrlin. It could be even "reserved" for use by the Amyrlin Seat once she was chosen.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

In the First Age, both

In the First Age, both females and males who could channel would called 'Aes Sedai'. After the Breaking, due to the tainting of Saidin and the madness of Lews Therin Telamon, only females were accorded the title of Aes Sedai. In the context of the WoT, Edeyn is correct in referring to only woman as Aes Sedai.

Ok, we're picking the proverbial nits. :-D I love Robert Jordan's, AKA James Oliver Rigney, Jr, universe and anxiously awaiting the unfinished novel.

The Violet Ajah is adding to a wonderful story universe!

Thank You!
Brenda

Wonderful - but where is the rest?

You have really captured the WoT style and world.

Please post more when you are able. I've seen that you've been unwell and obviously you have a life to lead but still, I'm going to be selfish and ask for it. :)

When can we hope to see more chapters posted?

As I'm going to have to wait until late 2011 for the WoT books to actually finish I'm used to waiting.

Violet Ajah

The problem is that when I wrote this, I didn't realize I would be going away from where I was. And I really didn't realize I wouldn't be soon going back.

This story has been written for a few years, but has not been edited. It's in several (a dozen or so) notebooks back in Michigan -- and I'm now in Arkansas. I'm TRYING to arrange to go and get my things from Michigan, but it's difficult! As soon as I do, I will start editing and popping out chapters as fast as I can until I get caught up to the schedule that I originally set!

Sorry for the inconvenience -- and if anyone wants to take me from Hot Springs, AR, to Port Huron, MI, to retrieve my belongings so that this can be accelerated, contact me!

^_^

WoT the h.......?

....heck? How did I miss ENTIRELY anything to do with this?

Having read the comments, it seems there is a genre/stream/series/world about which I know nothing.

And if it is half as good as you have portrayed in this first, entirely far too brief, foray - then I guess I must go and scrabble and find where I can get more!

Super introduction - but my complaint just won't go away! Far too short - you have left me panting on the edge....

Diana

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity" -
in most, but not all, instances

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances