Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 625

Printer-friendly version
       
Winkle D-cups
(aka Bike)
Part 625
by Angharad
       
DoubleThistleL.jpg

I could only see over the courtyard, which would prove a killing field if anyone entered through the gates and drawbridge. I could see members of our team taking up positions and I could also see bright halogen lamps ready to shine down on any one who entered, blinding them and making them easy targets.

In the trees which surrounded the castle, there were regular and staccato pops of small arms fire, as if a fire-fight was going on between two groups. Did Henry have other men outside the castle?

I listened to the fighting outside and then heard another sound, a swooshing sound, I glanced upwards and saw someone coming towards us on a parachute, and they were armed to the teeth. They circled and fired at one of our men, unseen from above. I fired both barrels of the shotgun, which knocked me backwards off my feet but blew a large hole in the parachute. The parachutist fell probably fifty or more feet to the courtyard with a splat sound after a prolonged scream.

The gun had recoiled back into my tummy, I was winded and feeling sick. Another parachutist swooped in firing all around, I loaded the gun with feverish fingers which didn’t seem to want to work. My heart was beating faster than if I was cycling up a steep hill.

Some bullets zinged around me, so I stepped back under the cover of the edge of the roof, I aimed the gun, this time on my shoulder and leant into the stock. It jumped and jolted my shoulder, but I once again managed to hit the chute and gravity did the rest.

Henry came struggling out on to my veranda. “Cathy, it’s you, I thought it was Tom.”

I was rubbing my shoulder, “No it’s me and I’m not doing this right, the blessed gun is hitting me on the recoil. Look there’s another of their parachutists,” I pointed into the sky.

Henry snatched the gun rammed in two cartridges and fired first one then the other barrel. The recipient squealed then jerked, then hung lifeless in the harness and drifted out into the trees.

“Who’s out in the woods?”

“The bad guys,” he said smirking.

“And?”

“A contingent of Royal Marine Commandos, from Faslane.”

“I thought that was a submarine base.”

“And who d’you think protects them when they’re at home?”

“Royal Marines?”

“Exactly, as they were massing for an exercise in Norway, I borrowed some–the commander’s an old friend of mine. Once I put it to the police they might be able to help us get their ACC back, they withdrew their objections.”

“So we have commandoes fighting mafia in the woodland?”

“It would seem that way.”

“There’s another, I pointed into the sky and Henry reloaded and fired twice. The effect was similar to before.”

“How come I can’t do that?”

“You fired both barrels together, gives a tremendous kick and if you don’t know what you’re doing you can hurt yourself.”

“I did, my collar bone’s hurting again.”

“Lend me your goggle things and go in with your children.”

“Where’s Simon?”

“He’ll be here in a couple of days.”

“Where is he?”

“Where do you think?”

“I don’t know, which is why I’m asking you.”

“Think.”

“I can’t.”

“Come on, Cathy, don’t disappoint me.”

“I don’t bloody know, he could be in bloody Russia for all I know.”

“See, what was so hard about that.”

“What? He’s in Russia?”

“Cutting off the money supply. Terrorists and organised crime march on their bank cards. Cut it off. QED.”

I gave Henry the image intensifier and he kept a watch on the sky as I limped back to the bedroom and knocked on the door of the hidey hole.

I thought I heard a noise on the roof, but decided it was probably bullets from the various battles that were going on about the place. Trish asked who it was, and unlocked the door as soon as I spoke.

I hugged them both, and despite my sore shoulder it felt good to be out of the action, snuggled up safe and sound. Once again I thought I could hear something scrabbling above us, but Henry was outside with a big gun and we were locked away safely anyway. I did wonder about Tom, but he seemed so fast asleep, I hoped he’d stay that way until it was all over.

I cuddled down with the girls and they fell asleep each with my arm around them. The large knife I had tucked into my jeans dug into my back, but considering the other aches and pains I had, it was tolerable.

The noise seemed to die down and I think I fell asleep, jumping when I heard Henry knocking on the door of our hiding place. The girls didn’t hear him, so I eased away from them and opened the door.

I stepped out into the bedroom and realised the mistake I’d made. Henry was standing with his hands up and a woman was behind him holding a gun to his head–a handgun.

“Sorry, about this, Cathy, but I was in a bit of a tight spot.” I nodded my understanding.

The woman was wearing a dark jumpsuit and a parachute harness. Of course, the noises on the roof–now I realised what they were.

“This is Olga Kretchyna, it’s her friends and family with whom we’re in dispute.”

“You caused all of this mayhem?” I gasped.

She smiled revealing a broad set of white teeth and all I wanted to do was punch them.

“You should be ashamed of yourself.”

“Shut it, byitch,” she drew back the hammer on the gun. “I’m gonna kill you both, then I’m gonna hunt down the rest of your miserable family and kill them all.”

“A woman of limited ambitions,” I said feeling a coldness building up in me.

“Shut it, byitch, or I’ll kill your children in front of you.”

I saw movement behind her and held my breath, I had to distract her.

“So this is what you think is emancipation, do you? Out killing the men?” The comment was hardly out of my mouth when she slapped me in the face.

“I think ye’d better pit doon the gun, ye scunner.” Tom stood behind her holding an umbrella in the back of her neck, presumably pretending it was a gun.

She turned knocking his ‘weapon’ away and I threw myself on top of her. There was shot as we hit the ground and I felt a pain in my shoulder. God it hurt then everything went black.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What's Cathy's pain?

Could it be that our heroine has been shot in her shoulder? Knowing our Cathy, I think it more likely that she somehow managed to turn the gun so the bad girl got shot; and the pain in her shoulder is more likely the result of the shotgun recoil.

Either way, Angharad has once again left us with a cliffhanger until the morrow!

Jenny

Poor Planning

Seems like there should have been some sort of better plan for when it was safe to open the "safe room". CCTV, or a secret safe word, or something.

As for Henry, what a lamer! He should have been prepared to die rather than let the baddie force him to entice Cathy and the kids out where they could all four be killed.

Fighting The Good Fight

Is costing Cathy dearly, once again. This is not the Mafia, this is an army regiment controlled by the mafia. But now, is Cathy hurt? Or is she stunned?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

All's well that ends well.

Cathy's fine.

She'll be fine until Chapter 666 when all will be revealed. Whatever "all" is.

Why is it that all villians, this is a universal trait, talk too much? Heros shoot first and then talk to the corpse.

Bear

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

With any luck

The shot missed everyone, or hit the bad guy, and the shoulder pain is her broken collar bone popped again.

Why was she so sure Henry knew where Cathy was? All he had to do was deny it, unless she had seen everything (or had inside info about a secure room). (She couldn't really have seen anything, since it was her on the roof Cathy heard.) But then she could have knocked on the door and got Cathy to come out as easily. Panic rooms really need to have some view points like a hidden camera to see who is out there. Being blind like that is no good,(secret knocks are no good obviously) unless you are willing to hide and play dead until you are totally sure you won't really be dead if you open.

edit......be blood thirsty.....Instead Tom of sneaking up and touching her with the metal tip, which allows the bad guy to know exactly where you are, and execute the typical spin and counter attack, he could have just stabbed her in the kidney with it. This would typically cause a paralysis and drop her safely. The gun wasn't pointed at Henry, since she had just slapped Cathy.

But then, Tom is a College prof, and While Cathy and Henry are obviously good at what they do, they have never had an training in bad guy stuff outside of a TV.

Just Another Cliff

I don't know how you do it but the big question is "Where are all these cliffs coming from?"

Michelle B

Dover?

Actually, I think there are lots of cliffs in the UK... :-)

Been an interesting/fun read I dare say... Hopefully the children are not too traumatized by events.

Thanks,
Annette

Cathy is a hero

Even when she's down. No way that woman is going to get back up even if she shot Cathy. Henry and Tom should be good enough for that. Why did everyone forget about the gun in the safe room. Cathy has been so cautious lately that I'm surprised she didn't have it on her when she came out. (And what about the knife?)

Good cliff!

Cathy has about all the

Cathy has about all the scars she needs now, so I just hope it was her shoulder bone acting up again. Wonder why no-one thought about parachutists coming in, it is in all the movies when invading a high located structure. Guess even the best minds of both the Marines and Henry's forces can over look such an eventuality. Will be better prepared the next time, if there is a next time. I would really laugh if the two girls came out and started hitting the bad lady for hurting their Mum and Grampa Henry. J-Lynn

And Henry had Royal Marines to advise him ?

For goodness sakes, even I thought of that possibility and I am hardly a strategic genius.

We have to cut Angharad off from her supplies of cliffs. Besides, rumor has it there is only a limited number of them and they are now a protected resource due to excessive consumption by Big Closet authors.

Now ... you don't want to be known as the lady who used up the last cliff, hmmmmm ? :)

Kim

Keep forgetting that

Trish is 5 years old and expect her to come out of the safe room with the gun and take down the bad woman.

remember the knife

I presume Cathy is still has that knife in her waist-band, the Russian may find herself split like a pig.

Bloodbath

Let's see...

Olga BadEnough is on the bottom, face up presumably. Cathy is on top of her, face down and out cold. Henry is still standing, looking Olga in the face, who still has the gun, but can't free her arm completely. There's the knife, handle up, sticking out of a scabbard in the back of Cathy's jeans...

I say Henry grabs the knife, lunges at Olga's throat, which isn't covered by Cathy's shoulder, and kills her.

Cathy comes to, in pain, with her rebroken collarbone, covered in Olga's blood. Comedy ensues. Okay, maybe not so funny...

Meanwhile, where'd that bullet go that came out of Olga's gun? Excuse me while I cover my eyes and peek through my fingers, hoping not to see anything too bad...

You're such a tease

Giving us short snippets of the vigorous adventures of the perils of Cathy ala Penelope Pitstop (a cartoon from childhood). So we now know where Simon is off to. Dare we hope this is drawing to a close in this chapter? :) Enjoying the story and look forward to your chapters.

Huggles,

Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

I hate to say this

The cook is the inside man, the traitor. Why send the dogs off since they would warn people of aproaching enemy?

The cook was upset to have Cathy in the kitchen, he couldn't poison the food with her there. However he did give Henry a draught of something that knocked him out. Even if he did drink a lot of whiskey, he would have awakened with Cathy pulling and tugging on him, when he was being put under the bed.

The cook also could have told the enemy about the room in the wall.

Just a bit of speculation on my part.

Why did the cook acted the way he did when Cathy was with him? He was cold and rude to Cathy. He also told some history about the castle. Showing that he knew quite a bit about the castle.

Why would there only be 8 people at the castle? They should have had more people there for protection. That struck me as odd too.

Oh well, hopefully the traitor and the Russian mafia will breathe there last. Did Cathy stab the Russian B?

Great job Angharad as usual.

and what about Naomi?

It has been a while without puddin's blue light feeding. I know Cathy has been kind of busy, but we need some word on how Stella and Puddin are getting along without her.

Great Story.....

I have become,
Comfortably Numb........

Ooooh! Another Cliffhanger!

Drat! Now I'm going to have to try to sleep tonight while I worry about the Clan Cameron. Bummer!!

Please don't get sick or busy or whatever now, Ang/Bonzi, until you've at least resolved the immediate problem(s).

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Do you think the Russian understood Tom ?

In the scuffle, Cathy took one for Henry. The world is her oyster now! She'll be just fine (2200 to go)
I thought the noise on the roof was either trouble, or Santa's Claws.

Cefinski