My Mistake, Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 13
by Samantha Jenkins

The four of us walked into the main office. I felt like every one in the school was staring at me and knew exactly who I was. Mom walked up to Mrs. Paskly’s door and knocked. The door opened and Mrs. Paskly looked at mom, and then the three teenaged girls behind her.

“Good morning, Mrs. Smith, what can I do for you?

“Have you talked to the superintendent within the last, week or so?” Mom asked following Mrs Paskly into her office. The three of us followed mom into the office. Mrs. Paskly looked at us girls.

“Hello Jennifer, and Katie” Mrs. Paskly said, and then looked at me. “You look familiar, though I’m not sure why.”

“That would be because that is my son. The young lady’s name would be Morgan.” Mrs. Paskly had not been in the school when the verdict on the Johnson case had been handed down.

“Why is your son dressed like a girl?”

“Because his therapist thinks that it's best that he does so. Are you familiar with the case of Johnson versus the Takoma county school board?” Mom said.

“I’ve heard of it, but I’ve not read it, nor have I had any experience with what it states.” Mrs. Paskly said. Mom dug around in her bag, which I saw contained her laptop as well as several folders that were color coded. I watched as she pulled out a blue folder. She handed it across the desk to Mrs. Paskly who opened it and looked at it.

“That would be the ruling on Johnson versus the CSB, supporting the Johnson family, as well as the doctors.” Mom paused and pulled out a yellow folder and sat it in her lap. “This case, went all the way to the state Supreme Court on appeals. The lower courts ruled in favor of the school board, despite testimony from medical professionals, stating that thirteen year old Alex Johnson actually would attempt suicide if he had to continue living as a boy. All of this started some time before the day that Alex attended school dressed as his female counterpart Alexis. Alexis graduated last year and is going on to college to study psychology. That brings you up to speed on the case and now I get to the things that the school board has changed since the ruling came down.” Mrs. Paskly looked up from reading the file in front of her.

“You’ve done a lot of research on this, I can see...” Mrs. Paskly said, letting her thought trail off.

“Yes, I have. I’ve been doing research since Friday.” Mom said. “And a lot of reading.” Mom pulled out the pink folder. I had an idea what was in this folder. I had seen Mom drop it in her bag when we left Dr. Franklin’s office. “My son, Josh, is no longer to be addressed as such.” Mrs. Paskly looked at me, and then back to mom. “Morgan has come to stay for as long as she does. Her records are to be switched to indicate her new name and gender.” Mom pulled a sheet of paper out of the pink folder, and handed it to Mrs. Paskly. “That is a note from her psychologist, stating that Morgan is to attend school as a girl, and that she is allowed to use the girls locker rooms, use the girls restrooms, and in general, be treated as a girl. Her sister and Katie will watch out for her welfare, One part of the changes that the school board made was to say that if someone threatens a student, especially one whose doctor has decided that they should start the process of Real Life Transition or for some other reason the doctor has decided that they should live as the other gender, is an automatic suspension.” Mom paused. “I know that Morgan already shares almost every class with Katie. Her Doctor has also requested that she either have classes with her sister or Katie, every class so we will have to figure out how to accommodate that. If you have any questions, my information is on the emergency contact cards, Morgan is also going to have her cell phone in her purse at all times, as is Jennifer.”

“Cell phones are not allowed in school.” Mrs. Paskly said.

“Mrs. Paskly,” I began. “Are you aware that every student in the school that has a cell phone already carries it on them. They have ever since what happened at Columbine. I have been carrying mine for months with out anyone knowing it. The difference is knowing when to divulge that you have it.” Mrs. Paskly turned her attention to me.

“Miss Smith, are you admitting to me an offense that could get you suspended?” She asked, Mom looked at me, and I met Mrs. Paskly’s gaze. Mom had always taught us to tell the truth regardless of the possible consequences.

“Yes, I am, but if you suspend me for it, then you had better suspend the rest of the school as well.” I said back. That would end up looking bad on her and she knew it.

“I can’t do that, but I had better not see your phone young lady.” She said. “I’m not too fond of having a boy dressed as a girl running around my school, but it appears that I can do nothing about it.” She looked at mom. “I can’t believe that you are allowing this to occur.” Mom looked like she was about to blow a gasket.

“I’m doing the best that I can for my children. Morgan’s doctor said that this is best for her. I’m going by what a person who is trained in psychology has said is best for my child.” Mom shot back. “You have no right to say that I’m not a good parent, just as you can’t say that Morgan can’t attend school as herself. you have people that you have to answer to that have laid out rules in this instance. Right now, I want the girls to get to class so they can learn something, better than what they are learning here. I think we are still in first period.” Jennifer, Katie and my self had all picked up our bags and were turning to walk out the door when Mrs. Paskly stopped us.

“Girls, Morgan is not attending classes like that.” She said. “She is going to get laughed at, beat up, called a sissy and a faggot, and probably will end up getting suspended for causing a disturbance to learning.” Katie looked pissed.

“Joyce” Katie began. I had no clue that Katie knew Mrs. Paskly’s first name. Mrs. Paskly looked shocked at being addressed by her first name while in the school. “This is where you are wrong. Well before you came to this school, Morgan took the lead role in a play. That role was that of a female. Yeah, she got called a sissy and a faggot, but every one got used to it, and the name calling, which is not befitting of a high schooler in the first place stopped after she didn’t let it get to her. She got laughed at, until every one saw her perform in the play. Those that didn’t know that she wasn’t a girl had no clue until they were told later. This school as a whole actually embraces the fact that each one of us are different. Morgan was born into the wrong body. Who cares, Morgan is Morgan or Josh depending on how she’s dressed. You just watch her, I’m sure that she is going to prove you wrong, and that none of what you just said is going to make a difference.” Mrs. Paskly looked angry.

“Katie, I’m suspending you for disobedience.” Mrs. Paskly said.

“No, you’re not.” Mom said. “And if you do you had better suspend the three of them because these three girls will stand up for one another, they have always been that way and then you had better start looking for a new job. Are you planning on suspending her because she used your first name, Joyce? Are you shocked that a student has the nerve to address you by first name? Are you shocked that a student has the nerve to stand up for what is right?” Mom stood, she was getting heated, and I could tell. Mom didn’t give Mrs. Paskly a chance to answer. “Morgan, call Dr. Franklin and have her come over here to the school. She is expecting your call.” Mrs. Paskly looked pissed now.

“Morgan, you do that and I’m suspending you as well.” She said. “You know that phones aren’t allowed in the school.” I looked at her and pulled my phone out of my purse.

“If I need to call Dr. Franklin for something, I will do so regardless of where I am. I have a hell of a support system in place, Joyce, and you’re not going to stop it. Suspend me if you want, but I’m telling you now that it will get overturned.” Mrs. Paskly looked mad. I hit the speed dial for Dr. Franklin’s cell phone, and put the phone up to my ear. I stepped out of the office so that I could talk to Dr. Franklin.

“I guess I just won’t come to school then.” Jennifer said as the door shut behind me. I looked up to see Kaite’s mom walking in the office.

“Josh, where is Katie, and why are you dressed like that?” Katie’s Mom, Susan, asked.

“Long story, you’ll find out soon enough I’m sure. Katie is in Mrs. Paskly’s office, with my mom and Jennifer.” I said to her.

“Your mom said that she might need my assistance this morning, Who are you calling?” Susan asked

“Dr. Franklin. Mom wants her to come here.”

“Ok, I’m going in come back in when you are done.”

“Yes, Ma’am” I said as Katie’s mom disappeared into Mrs. Paskly’s office and Dr. Franklin picked up her phone.

“Yes, Morgan, what can I do for ya?” Dr. Franklin asked.

“Mom asked that you come to the school. She is having some...” I paused looking for the words that I wanted. “Issues, with Mrs. Joyce Paskly”

“Isn’t she the principal there?” Dr. Franklin asked. “I was expecting some issues...”

“Yes, Ma’am, she is.”

“I’ll be right there.” Dr. Franklin said. “10 minutes.”

“Thank you, Ma’am” I said

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mrs Paskly's Mistake.

Pow right in the kisser. And Paskly's down, for the count. Love Mary.

And we don't know what

And we don't know what Katie's mom does for a living (yet) either...

Kayla

Wild stab in the dark guess...

OK, I'll find out when I click onto the next chapter, but I'm guessing that Susan may work in the legal profession. In cases like this (especially in one or two other stories on BCTS), as well as the psychologist, a lawyer/solicitor is brought in as well, to make it perfectly clear to the school that the student is accepted "as is", and will not be discriminated against.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Wow, another chapter

Wow, another chapter already! I'm really glad you're continuing this series. Keep it up! :)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

It is such a sad state of

It is such a sad state of affairs that some people will allow their position to cloud their judgement. Principal Paskly just showed her true colors towards Morgan and her entire family. She is a bigot and not willing to learn to accept differences. Somehow, I do believe her days as principal just might be numbered. J-Lynn

Mistake to be rude.

RAMI

The principal may have been wrong in how she acted, but Katie calling her by her first name was simply insubordination and was uncalled for. Mom telling her child to use the phone when she was just warned not to is also wrong.

The issue and only issue should be that Morgan be allowed to attend school as herself.

I am not sure of the reality of court decisions, but do many/most courts when allowing a child to dress in the clothing of their proper gender also allow them to use the bathroom and locker room
facilites. It was my understanding that they balanced the rights of other students in those areas?

Rami

RAMI

Maybe not

While the use of the principal's first name was rude, it might or might not be a mistake. It certainly shows that the principal can not control her emotions when she is even mildly provoked.

As for using the phone, IMHO a parent's direct instruction to their child overrides just about anybody else's. Not always, but most of the time. I know if it had been me I would have made the call my mother told me to make, and I grew up in a much more "structured" time. I would NEVER have addressed any of my teachers by their first name, it just wasn't done. Nowadays it seems fairly common for children to call adults by their first name, it seems a bit presumptuous to me but I'm old-fashioned.

M

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

I think it was one of those

I think it was one of those 'heat of the moment' things, Katie seems a lot like her mother, very level headed under stress

Morgan would have used the girls bathrooms and locker rooms.

Kayla

My Mistake, Chapter 13

Joyce is about to learn a few things about Morgan and her support group, and to keep watch what she says.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine