Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 642

Printer-friendly version
       
Wooden Digits
(aka Bike)
Part 642
by Angharad
       
DoubleThistleL.jpg

I took Trish back to school unsure if I should make an issue of the teacher not believing that she was an accomplished reader for her age. “Did you actually read any of Robinson Crusoe?” I asked her as I parked near the school.

“Yes, Mummy, just a page.”

“You read her a whole page?”

“Yes, Mummy, did I do something wrong?”

“No, sweetheart, I’m just surprised she made you read that much.”

“She said she liked my reading.”

“I expect she did then.” We got out of the car and I led into the playground again. Once more the kids were lining up, and Trish followed them into school. I waved to her as she went in, and she waved back. I felt a tear in my eye and hurried back to the car. I had two hours to get home and back again. If this was going to be my life for the next few weeks, it was going to limit everything I did. It would also impinge on Mima too much. I would discuss it with Simon and Trish, but I felt she would have to stay to school dinners in future. When I collected her, I would make some enquiries.

I was waiting for the washing machine to finish and zipping about with the vacuum cleaner when Simon brought Meems back. She was a bit hyper, so I hated to think what she’d had for lunch. I did ask her but she couldn’t really tell me. She’d enjoyed herself so that was the important thing, and so had Simon.

I gave her a drink and a biscuit and went back to my cleaning. All too soon it was time to go and get Trish. Meems decided to come with me, while Simon agreed to watch the clothes in the dryer.

She told me what they’d done after they’d left me. Simon had taken her up the Spinnaker Tower, and she’d really enjoyed it. She’d walked across the glass floor and been really scared—I know I was when we visited it, but I don’t like heights.

After this he’d taken her somewhere, she wasn’t sure where, and she had a ride in some sort of mechanised ride, probably in a shopping mall, and bought her some lunch, then an ice cream. She seemed so proud to have Simon as her daddy. I hope he appreciated it as much as she did. I would try and sus him out.

We got to the school and Trish was next to last out again, once more she was talking to the same girl, ‘Peaches’ or whatever it was. I waited with Mima until she saw us and then walked her back in and caught the headmistress as she came out of her office. I asked about school dinners and she told me to let them know the next morning and pay the fee and it would be sorted. I had to let them know if she had any fads or allergies. If she did I wasn’t aware of them.

Just then, Mrs Cranmer appeared. “Hello, Miss,” said Trish.

“I take it you’re Trish’s mother?” the teacher said to me.

“Yes, how is she doing?”

“She’s settling in very well for a new pupil, and I’m very impressed with her reading skills which are very precocious.”

“Yes, I know, her overall cognitive skills are very precocious.”

“She says you study dormice at the university?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Obviously takes after you then and her grampas, one is a professor and the other a Lord and works in a bank.”

“He’s chairman of a bank, yes, Lord Stanebury.”

“Goodness, I am in esteemed company.”

“Not at all, we’re very down to earth, and Tom Agnew—the professor, and Henry Cameron—the Viscount, are salt of the earth types, really nice people.”

“If you say so, my dear, you know them better than I.”

“I’m thinking of booking Trish in for school meals, are there any organised activities during the lunch hour?”

“Oh yes, we run a few clubs in the lunch time, sewing and one or two sports. There’s a photo group and a computer club.”

“Super, thanks. C’mon girls, let’s go home and get some tea for Daddy and Gramps.” On the drive home, Trish told me how they’d been doing drawing and painting, and some counting. They were learning multiplication tables as well by the sound of it.

Mrs Cranmer was very nice but strict and she got told off for talking during the one lesson. Meems asked if she cried, but Trish told her that she didn’t, but that she wouldn’t talk again either because she’d felt rather foolish.

On the whole I felt the school was teaching her some self discipline and I approved so far. She is a bit of a chatterbox, so some help with boundaries was useful.

When we got home, Trish spent the time before dinner telling Simon and Tom what her first day as a school girl was like. Meems came out to the kitchen and helped me. She was a little fed up with her big sister hogging the limelight.

“When can I go to schoow?”

“When you’re five.”

“How wong is that?”

“Let’s see, you’re three and a half, so about a year and a bit.”

“Is that a wong time?”

“Not for me, but it probably is for you.”

“S’not fair.”

“What isn’t, darling?”

“Me not going to schoow.”

“That’s life, I’m afraid, Meems. That’s the way the system works.”

She sulked for a bit until I said she could help me wash the vegetables. She got soaking wet, but she had fun.

After dinner, Trish read to her and was trying to teach her to read. Meems struggled, she was probably a bit young for the task, but I was delighted at the patience Trish showed in helping her little sister.

I know I keep saying this but they are such lovely kids. Stella and the baby surfaced just before dinner, which created a small diversion. Trish didn’t ask to feed the baby tonight, so I got that joy. After I burped and changed her, she slept in my arms for a while before I put her down in her cot.

“Can I feed Baby Puddin’ one day?” Meems asked me.

“I expect so, but you’ll need Mummy or Auntie Stella to help you. You mustn’t try on your own because it can be dangerous to the baby.”

Tom took the girls up to bed, while I cleared up the dishes from the meal, Stella went back up to her room with the baby. I hoped it wasn’t because she felt ill or antisocial, but Tom said, he was pretty sure she was just very tired. I knew the feeling and went off early myself and was fast asleep by the time the amorous Simon came up to bed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Biking to Gabycon

Perhaps Cathy can go out for a ride this weekend and run across some crazy women who write stories about a boy on a bicycle. ;-)

Hey, stranger things have happened!

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ought to happen

Seems like a natural course of events for this story.

She'd need waterproofs.

I know, because I did just that and got wet for my troubles :) It was good to meet them all too, especially our author. However Cathy would have to be prepared for a very long ride as Portsmouth is around 200 miles from Derbyshire at a rough guess.

Geoff

What's a little ride?

To our master story teller. I'm sure Angharad (or Bonzi) could come up with a plausable explaination to put them in the same place at the same time. After all, what's 200 miles between friends? ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

>> That’s the way the system works...

Puddintane's picture

Looking on the bright side, we educate our children, in an ideal world at least, all through the years of their infancy close beside an adult who teaches them how to be human, and how to be a part of a family, far more important lessons than some trifling maths and grammar. She's in school right now, and considering her early upbringing, the most important school of her life.

Puddin'
------------------
Education is what remains after one has
forgotten everything one learned in school.
- Albert Einstein

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

It would be rather fun to

It would be rather fun to follow Trish's school career for awhile to see what she accomplishes.
We just had a young girl, age 14, graduate from the Univ. of Kentucky this past week. She started reading at age 2 and graduated from high school at age 8 years!
Thankfully, her Parents, their friends and the girl's friends; PLUS the schools and UK would not treat her other than a brilliant child so she socially developed properly. Her Mother said she would take her daughter to school and by the end of the day when she picked her up, would be told "well, I have to move up a grade". The girl's teachers at UK said she would graduate at age 22 with a Clinical MD degree and a Bio-Research Ph'D. She was ranked as 1 in 6,000,000 for intelligence.
Watching Trish function as she does right now, I believe she might also rank in the small percentile for Cathy, et al. J-Lynn

Kids

Angharad; This is still the best serial story here to a point! I can remember my oldest son Derek, when he was very young from one to three all he did was point to things and we could not get him to talk no matter what we did. Then I think he was just turned about three an half he just started talking and in complete sentences and he started reading almost any book and hardly ever ask how to pronouce almost any word while doing this. I remember when I was station at Ft Knox, KY everyday aound Noon he would disappear. One day I had to come home during lunch with some paper work for the Wife (Ex Now), when I left to go back to the Airfield I pass the Elementary School and there he was playing with the school kids, I stop to see that he was OK and while I was talking to him the Principle came and ask why my five year old was not in school, I told her that the system would not let my four year old to go school. She said your kidding, He's Four, He talks better then almost any kid here and She said that She even had Him read a book page to her also plus some 1st grade math and was able doit all. I told her yes I know and have bought him school work books for him work with and that he ask's all the time why can't I go to school with all the other kids and I kept telling him that they won't let him go because he was too young even if he was almost a foot taller then all of them. She came over to house latter and told us the school authorities told her no too. She said it was a shame they would not let him go, He would of brought up the school average score for her. Richard

Richard

We always knew...

...that Trish was precocious; the teacher has apparently proven it! The next thing you know, Trish will be teaching the rest of the class how to say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" backward!

Jenny

Talking of staying school dinners

Talking of staying school dinners reminds me of the downside... Maybe it was just my school... But everything and i mean everything always seemed to taste of cabbage,And then there was the gravy!!!Gloopy, Dark brown, Tasteless,and so thick you could cut it with a knife!

On the plus side however, You did get the chance to play with your friends, That was great fun and something to look forward to after you'd eaten THAT!!!dinner.

Kirri

Pizza

That was the one treat I remember from those days. It was probably horrible, but I loved it at the time. Square slices with cheese, nothing else.

school dinners?

NoraAdrienne's picture

When I was in elementary school I was forced to eat the school lunches. We had spaghetti day, half the plate was red, the other half plain. Then game was to turn the plate upside down and see how long it took for the skettis to fall off. After which I'd go to the bread table and take some rye bread with peanut butter, and one with butter.

The other lunch favorite was potato soup. It came with a thick skin that made it extremely unappetizing. You have to remember that this was in the early 50's.

Bright Blessings.

In the 60s I don't remember

the school lunches being that bad. Maybe my school district or schools just cared a little more but I felt fine with it. I liked the cornbread they made and the hot dogs and things like that were ok. Maybe I just wasn't very picky.

Still worried about Stella

With her history, hiding in her room with the baby doesn't seem healthy. Hope Cathy talks to her a little more. I'd like to see the sisters get very close again.

Me, too!

Me, too! (Not very creative today, am I?)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)