The Princess and the Plague : 27

Printer-friendly version


The Princess and the Plague
Part 27
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Edeyn

"Damn small minded little towns," Tricia hissed.

"So, what should we do?" Erika asked.

"Go with dates and dump them at the door?" Victoria offered.

     
duckling.jpg


 
 
Erika sat on the edge of her bed looking around her room. It was pretty 'boyish' still. She would have to figure out a way to make it more feminine, now that she was a girl. The sound of her phone going off made her jump.

Samantha: What happened 2 U this afternoon?

Erika: I was in with Principal Crawford, my parents and Dr. Barts.

Samantha: and?

Erika: Everything is cool. Principle Crawford was very understanding

Samantha: What about the school records and stuff?

Erika: I took the heat for it. I didn't mention the rest of U.

Samantha: Victoria was going nuts. U mite text her 2 let her know.

Erika: K will do.

Samantha: Taylor was upset U weren't at practice. I told her where U were.

Erika: Thanx

Samantha: Rally started learning a new routine.

Erika: sorry.

Samantha: I know : )

Erika: C U 2morro

Samantha: K

Erika went through her phone book index and brought up Victoria's name.

Erika: Hey Vic everything is ok.

Victoria: Huh?

Erika: I spoke to Principal Crawford. U weren't mentioned.

Victoria: thanx : ) I was worried.

Erika: No need 2 B now.

Victoria: How did it go?

Erika: Good : )

Victoria: Working on paper. Talk L8r

Erika: K bye

Erika tossed her phone on her desk and went back to surveying her room.

"Eric!" her dad called, "Hey Eric."

Her father entered her room, "I, uh, mean Erika. Sorry."

"It's okay Dad, I know it's going to take a little bit."

"You should check out these cool rope course set-ups I found on the web," he looked excited.

"You've been searching rope courses on the 'net?"

"Yes. You should see these obstacles they've created."

Erika got up and followed him down to his office.

"I bookmarked a couple of pages. Check this out," her father clicked on the screen.

"Cool," Erika looked at some boards that were held aloft in the canopy of trees by rope.

"There's this one, too," Erika's father clicked again.

Erika spent the next hour going through new ideas for their back yard rope course.

"So what do you think?" he asked.

"I think it would be really cool to do some of that. I just don't know where we'll find room."

"We won't be able to do all of it right away, but after we get bored with this first course we'll just have to rebuild it and incorporate some of the other ideas," her father smiled at her.

Erika smiled back.

"Oh, before I forget," her dad smiled again, "I've got something for you."

He slid a piece of paper across the desk towards her.

"What's this?" Erika inquired.

"Your bank card," her father grinned, "Your PIN is 5555."

"Thanks, Daddy!" Erika exclaimed, "Now I can go shopping."

"Not yet," he shook his head, "You're still grounded."

"But Dad, I need some more clothes."

"Then I suggest that you ask your mother to take you shopping," he suggested, "that is the only way you're going to be allowed to shop while you're grounded."

"With Mom?"

"Mmmhmm," he nodded.

"But Mom doesn't like me right now," Erika objected.

"Of course she does. She is just trying to sort out how she feels about this... change."

"I'm still me," Erika protested.

"Are you?"

"Yes."

"After camp, if you had gone back to being Eric, would you be in my office with me discussing a rope course?" he asked.

"I... I don't know."

"Exactly. You'd probably be upstairs listening to your weird music and playing on your computer," he told her.

Erika nodded silently.

"What were you doing up there when I came and got you?"

"Deciding whether or not I should change my room décor."

"Oh? What changes would you like to make?"

"None right now, other than getting rid of a few of my boy things. It's kind of weird having model cars and stuff in a girl's room isn't it?"

"That's up to you. There are girls out there who like cars."

Erika dipped her head in thought, "I guess."

"Well, if you decide to paint it, you're on your own. I've painted too many rooms in my lifetime," he chuckled.

Erika picked up the bank card, "Thanks, Dad."

"What happened to 'Daddy?'"

"Sorry," Erika rolled her eyes, "Thanks, Daddy."
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
The gray, rainy weather of late fall had settled in around the town of Constitution. It being too wet and cold outside, the girls of Columbine met for lunch in the echo chamber that the school referred to as a lunch room.

"So, I've been putting feelers out as promised," Samantha began, "Although it is acceptable for two girls going to Homecoming as dates, and the students, with the exceptions of some of the jocks, seem to support it... it seems that many would still feel uncomfortable," Samantha avoided eye contact as she finished the explanation.

"That's not just your opinion, is it?" Tricia asked.

Samantha kept her gaze averted, "No. It seems that it was more of a majority of those I asked."

"Damn small minded little towns," Tricia hissed.

"So, what should we do?" Erika asked.

"Go with dates and dump them at the door?" Victoria offered.

"Who?" Erika asked.

"Julian asked you, didn't he?" Krystal spoke up.

"Yes."

"Tell him that you'll go with him if he double dates with Tricia and whom ever she goes with," Krystal shrugged, "It's not like you have to marry them."

"Easy for you to say," Victoria took a sip of Coke, "I heard Jorge has asked you."

Krystal turned bright red and tried to suppress a smile, to no avail.

"I don't want to go with anyone else," Tricia said matter-of-factly.

"I want to go with Erika. I don't think we should cave-in to these Neanderthals."

"What if," Samantha posed, "You double date with Erika and Julian? Maybe go with Stan, he is a great guy."

"That is a cool idea," Victoria agreed.

"I don't know," Tricia shook her golden head, "It just doesn't seem right to go with one person, when you want to be with another."

"People do it all of the time," Samantha pointed out.

"I'll think about it," Tricia shrugged.

"What are you wearing?" Krystal changed the subject.

"Um. I really hadn't given it much thought. I've had a lot on my mind lately," Erika admitted.

"Not pink," Samantha glared at Tricia as the blonde opened her mouth to speak. Tricia gaped at Samantha for a moment then shut her mouth.

"Well, I haven't bought my dress yet either," Samantha mentioned, "Let's set up a shopping date."

"I can't, I'm grounded," Erika shook her head.

"Me too," Tricia nodded.

"My dad says that the only way I can go shopping before I'm ungrounded is with my mother," Erika explained. "It sucks, too, because he just gave me my own bank card loaded for buying clothes."

"He did?" Samantha's face lit up.

Erika nodded, "I need to get more clothes -- but like I said, I'd have to go with my mom."

"Save it if you can," Samantha smiled, "I found the cutest pair of shoes for you."
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
"Mom? Daddy?" Erika spoke up at the dinner table, "I have been nominated for the Homecoming court, what should I do?"

"What do you mean, what should you do?" her father asked.

"Should I bow out? Not go?"

"It's a great honor to be nominated for Homecoming," her father put his fork down, "I think you should definitely go. Do you have a date?"

"Hold on, now," her mother cautioned, "It IS a great honor being nominated, but don't you think that a real girl should be nominated? One who has dreamed of being on the court most of her life, not just for a week or two?"

"I don't agree," her father shook his head, "Eric may have just started being a girl the past month or two, but that doesn't mean that Erika shouldn't experience normal girl behavior. I think if she has passed as a girl well enough to be nominated for the Homecoming court, then she should be on the court."

"I'm just thinking about some girl who might get jilted out of the experience who might find out that Erika isn't what she thinks she is. It might cause trouble in the future."

"There are a lot of 'mights' in that," Erika's father pointed out.

"I was asked by Julian Rock. He's the swim team Captain," Erika interrupted, not wanting to listen to an argument.

"Is he a boyfriend?" Erika's mother raised an eyebrow.

"No. He's just a guy who likes me," Erika sighed, "Tricia and I were hoping to go together, but a few of our friends said that it would be better if we each had a boy date."

"Does Julian know about you?" Mr. Martin asked, "I mean about, you know?"

"No."

"So, did you tell him that you would go with him?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Not yet. I told him I had to talk to you two first."

"I don't see a problem with it," Erika's dad looked to her mother.

"My only issue is your taking the spot of someone else's on the court. I don't have a problem with you going."

"My friends suggested that we go out dress shopping this weekend."

"You're still grounded," Erika's father frowned.

"Well, Homecoming is weekend after next. I need to start getting ready."

"I'll take you to the mall after your Rally practice on Thursday," Erika's mother sighed, "Just don't go expecting some designer dress that costs thousands."

"Thanks, Mom," Erika smiled, "I won't."

"Before I forget, you have a Doctor's appointment tomorrow after practice," she informed Erika, "Dr. Barts pulled a few strings and got you in two weeks early."

"After practice?"

"Uh ha."

"Will I have time to come home and shower?"

"No. I have to take you immediately over. We're lucky we were able to get this appointment."

Erika sighed, "But I'll stink."

"Take a towel bath in the bathroom," her mother suggested, "and pack some deodorant and perfume with you."

"Fine," Erika huffed.

Mrs. Martin pushed her plate to the side. "Don't forget, you have to clean the dishes."

Erika closed her eyes so that her mother couldn't see her rolling them.

"I might like having a daughter, after all," her mom teased.
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
"So, um, Julian?" Erika approached the swim Captain.

"Hey, Erika," his features lit up as he turned to her.

"I, uh, well, I thought about your offer..."

"Homecoming," he nodded, "Will you be my date?"

Erika nodded her head, "Yes."

"That's great!" he beamed.

"Well, I was wondering..."

"Yes?" Julian's moment of triumph vanished as he suspected something else.

"Well, does Stan have a date? Cuz It would be really cool if he could ask Tricia and then we could double date," Erika held her breath.

Julian's face screwed up in thought, "Hmmm. I think he asked someone."

Erika's smile faltered.

"But I'll ask and make sure," Julian flashed her another smile, "Do you like seafood?"

"Yes, why?"

"Some of us are making reservations at the Bay House."

"Oh? Sure, sounds good," Erika nodded.

"Do you know what color your dress is, yet?" Julian asked.

"I'm going shopping tomorrow. Why?" Erika asked.

"I need to get your corsage. Do you prefer wrist or pin?"

"Um. Well, I don't really know. Whatever will be fine," Erika blushed at her ignorance.

"Cool," Julian brushed some hair from his eyes, "See you later?"

"Okay," Erika watched as the tall, lean guy walked down the hall with confidence.

She needed to find Tricia a date. Someone who could double with her and Julian. The whole plan of accepting Julian's offer was because of the possibility of Tricia joining them.
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
"Ick, now I stink of roses," Erika complained as she rode with her mom to the endocrinologist's office.

"I suggest that you buy your own scent then," her mother replied calmly.

"What do I get?" she asked.

"Choosing a scent is a very personal thing," Mrs. Martin explained, "Not only do you have to like it, but those around you must be able to put up with it. Then there's how the chemicals in the perfume interact with your body chemistry. Something might smell wonderful out of the bottle, but the moment it interacts with your skin, it could smell like an outhouse in the hot summer sun."

Erika wrinkled her nose at the description.

"Smelling like roses will get you through this appointment," Mrs. Martin told her.

Her mother pulled into a parking spot in front of the clinic.

"Who is this doctor?" Erika asked.

Her mother made a face.

"What?" Erika queried.

"Doctor Lipdik."

"Doctor what?" Erika giggled.

"Doctor Lipdik," her mother tried to suppress a smile, but couldn't.

"You'd think doctors could afford to change their names," Erika continued giggling, "First Doctor Barts, now Doctor Lipdik?"

"Doctor Barts was an okay name."

"If you don't mind being called Dr. Farts."

"Behave, Eric -- I, ah, Erika."

Erika's eyes glimmered with mirth as they approached the Clinic door.

"Oh, my gawd," she snickered, "Look how it's spelled."

"That's enough, young lady," her mother cautioned.
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
The man who entered the exam room was a balding man in his fifties. The hair that he still had on his head was blonde as was his abundant mustache.

"Hello Ms. Martin, I'm Doctor Bob Lipdik," he greeted with a toothy smile, "My patients seem to find it easier if they just call me Dr. Bob."

"I'm Erika," she greeted the man.

"I had an interesting conversation with Dr. Barts the other day regarding you," Dr. Bob took a seat on the stool. He flipped open a chart and scanned it, "Mmmhmm," he made noises as he read through it.

Dr. Bob set the chart down on the counter and pulled open a cabinet door. Out slid a laptop computer which he opened and began going through different files.

"Ah, here we are."

Dr. Bob then went on to question Erika and her mother about foods they ate, diseases that she might have had as a child. Chemicals in the household, and places that they have lived. As they answered, he typed the info into the computer.

There was a long pause after which, he turned around and smiled.

"I know they've taken a lot of blood over the past few weeks, but I'd like you to get some more blood drawn. I'm also ordering a CAT scan and an MRI."

"What are you scanning for?" Erika asked.

"I'm not exactly sure, yet. The CAT scan will be a whole body scan, to check your lymph nodes and other organs. The MRI will be a brain scan, looking for anomalies."

"I had a CAT scan of my head this summer," Erika offered.

"I'd like to see that, as well," Dr. Bob nodded again, "Where was it taken so that I can get a copy."

"They did a CAT scan of your head?" Mrs. Martin asked.

Erika nodded as she turned to Dr. Bob, "It was at summer camp."

"Camp Kumoni," Mrs. Martin informed him, "A small hospital nearby."

"Well, let's see," Dr. Bob murmured, as he looked over his notes, "I'll have my receptionist schedule the MRI and CAT scans for next week. "I think that will be the soonest that we can get you in, but I'd like it if I can have one of my nurses draw your blood now."

Erika shrugged, "Sure, I guess."

"Great!" Dr. Bob said, getting up.

"I'll have her come in, and I'll have you scheduled to see me a few days after the scans are done," he stopped at the door and smiled from one to the other, "It was nice meeting you, Erika. And you Mrs. Martin."


 
To Be Continued...

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

go with the flow

I hope you all enjoy this episode. It's not a pivetol one, but has a lot in it. There may be some medical issues and things that may not be RL but I'd like for you all to just 'go with it' for the story's sake.

Thanks

A.A.

The Only Thing

...that might be a bit unrealistic is the apparently high quality of care that Erika is getting -- a doctor who was that interested in running that many tests that quickly! Most either don't care or like to try out their guesses one at a time, especially if they have to figure out what they might get reimbursed for or which tests the insurance might agree to. I'd love to have a doctor who tried to examine all angles at once!

The actual "science" of the story seems just fine to me so far.

Plotwise, you seem to be foreshadowing the possibility that we will discover that Erika is intersexed or possibly has another genetic defect, such as PAIS, or chimerism. It would be sorta nice if her mother could just learn to accept her as is, without needing a biological hammer to hit her (Mom) over the head with. On the other hand, I've enjoyed this story through most of the twists and turns so far, and that's not likely to change!

testing the gamut

My spouse worked for a Doctor who was somewhat of a diagostic, (Similar to House) Doctors in the area would send him patients that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. He'd run EVERY test there was out there includng barrium swallows and bone density tests where they make the patient drink a radio active isotope and then trace it in the body. EKGs, EEGs, CAT, MRI, swallow tests, stress tests. Usually most of these took place with in a day or a week. He usually found out what was wrong with them. ;)

A.A.

Funny you should mention that

My Dr. had sent me to many specialists right after I had a physical. In the last three months, I had an upper GI (barrium drink and all), a nose throat and hearing test, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, an intereutin biopsy, a lymph biopsy for the lymph nodes which are swollen behind the heart and in front of the eusouphagus, breast scan, a Bone scan, two catscans, several xrays, a pet scan and tons of bloodwork. End result nothing was found except for the lymph nodes which was sarcoidosis. Nothing showed up being cancerous, and everything was beignine. Now I have to see a pulmenologist and then a Romotologist.

With all of the xrays I should be glowing in the dark now, won't need anymore night lights. Probably get cancer for being exposed to too much radiation.

I think the proffesional circuit is in business to refer business to everyone else to keep them in the money if you ask me. I also feel they are going to poke and prod me until something breaks so they have something to fix, or put me in a grave.

I didn't hurt before the physical but I sure do now.

They say as you get older you go into your golden years. Yea right, I figured it out, that is when you take your gold and give it to the doctors. Some golden years.

I was even put on antidepression medicine, I didn't even know I was depressed. I figured it out though, they put me on that so when I recieved the bills for all of this I wouldn't freak out. I also figure they must get a cut from all the pills they will make you take.

I think going to doctors is a dangerous thing, you go in feeling great you come out feeling like crap. Going to the hospital is scarry too. You may not have had a desease when going in, but you may get something before you leave the place.

When I go into pre-admission for minor out patient surgery, everyone there goes "Hi Joni, what are you in for this week?" I don't want to be that familiar with this group of people. I have been there too many times.

So yes you have doctors that they give you the works. I would rather not have had them. They already changed the blood, they took enough of it, and they are greasing me as we speak when they send the bills. I rather have the oil changed in my car thank you very much.

Great job on the story dear. Here you thought you were done with just camp komoni, and now you have a serial that has just run away with your imagination. I'm glad you are continuing the story.

Hugs
Joni W

Tests...

PattieBFine's picture

I would say her size/development to date vs. her age would all but demand some serious testing here... that's including a DNA one! she's small even for a girl! remember the camp clothes he/she wore, were for a girl two years younger... a freshman girl right? Summer's things.

They already tested the

KristineRead's picture

They already tested the chromosomes, she is XY.

We don't know if she is a Sophomore or a Junior.

Hugs,

Kristy

Sophomore

A few chapters back they stated very emphaticaly to be Sophomores.

Fairly RL medically

The only part that doesn't strike me as RL here is the fact that blood is being drawn spontaneously (you're supposed to fast for 12 hours ahead of time).

Though, this is such a minor detail plot-wise that it doesn't matter.

Depends

Some blood tests require a waiting period, anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. Many do not. All depends on what they are going to do/test.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Fasting draws are important....

Puddintane's picture

...but only if they plan to test for sugar and lipids, which are influenced by recent meals. Sugar is usually used for diabetic screening, and lipids are the LDL/HDL stuff that's either good or bad for you, depending on the relative values of each.

Physicians *usually* order more or less standard "panels" of tests. A "standard" work-up might include a "CBC" complete blood count, used to screen for leukemia and anaemia, a "CMP" or "BMP," complete or baseline metabolic panels, both of which include glucose (sugar) levels, and an optional lipid panel, usually skipped for young patients. So the observation is correct, *if* the doctor orders a standard work-up, which would usually include a urine collection as well, which can require fasting as well.

We don't, however, know what was ordered. Each of the standard panels usually requires one or more individual specimens, collected in individual vials, which become noticeable straightaway. If only hormone levels are being tested, for example, because the referring physician has sent along baseline bloodwork, fasting wouldn't matter.

Here's a nice little site that explains everything:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

It Is Sad

jengrl's picture

It is sad that the town is backwards in their attitudes toward Tricia and Erika going to Homecoming. I still believe that Erika is making a huge mistake by going with Julian. They should have just said screw it and gone with each other. Hopefully, Tricia and Erika will find a way.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Dates

They should have sought out a couple boys that wanted to date each other, so they could swap.

Another good chapter Anistasia.

KristineRead's picture

Thanks for another good chapter.

1. I'm glad that Erika seems to be over her anger with her friends.

2. I don't like her leading Julian on a bit. He thinks she wants to go with him, not nice.

3. I'm glad to see that Mom seems to be coming around.

Don't worry about the medical stuff, it is what it is.

Hugs,

Kristy

Another great chapter...

I love how your mind picks out names, first for the camp, and now for the two doctors.

Also some very "mundane" woman moments for Erika, which is probably what she needs at this point.

Now we get to wait on the minor cliffhanger of what Dr. Bob finds, should be interesting...

Thanks for tonight's chapter.

Tsk, tsk, Erika!

I also think it's a mistake to go with Julian to homecoming, I'd much rather see her take Tricia. I'm curious to see what you do with the medical aspect (Don't worry about RL, we all bend the rules from time to time in that regard). You've set up a lot here that makes me even more interested to see what comes next!

Thanks for another wonderful chapter!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Erika really has no qualms ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... about using Julian in such a selfish manner? She, of all people, should have some idea of how he will feel when he finds out he is simply a cowardly means for Erika to attend the dance with who she really wants to be with. I think Tricia is right and they should just go with each other.

Also, I think finding out at this late date that Erika is intersexed would seem sort of like cheating. As The Church Lady would say, "How convieeeeeenient!"

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Thanks again

Thanks for another great chapter. I still don't like Mrs. Martin or using the boys to go to the dance the way Erika and Tricia are planning to do, but a lot of people are that way. As for seemingly setting up an intersex situation, I know some people scoff at that and consider it an unrealistic cop-out, to that I say, "so what?" If being fully realistic was a requirement for these stories, we'd have to throw out most of them. Write what you want, Anistasia. Like the song says, "ya can't please everyone so ya got to please yourself".

Thing is...

It's not unrealistic. Not as much as folks seem to think. Granted, most intersexed folks never even find out because it's not something that's looked for.

However... 1.7% (17 per 1000) people in the WORLD are one flavor or another of intersexed.

As of 2008 census estimates for the world is approximately 6.8 Billion.

6,800,000,000

So to get the number of intersexed people in the world (statistically speaking), one needs only to divide by 1000 and then multiply by 17.

6,800,000 * 17 = 115,600,000

115 Million 600 Thousand people worldwide -- or approximately 381/3% of the population of the United States. That's a lot of folks.

Better breakdown:

Do you know 59 people? If so... one of them is intersexed (statistically speaking).

"...To Check Your Lymph Nodes..."

I'm starting to wonder if the anomaly they're bearing down upon might be something cancerous, and that's why the medics are being so vague about what they're looking for.

Solid chapter as usual. This time it's Victoria and Samantha giving Erika dangerous advice about the dance. They're probably right in one sense: a homecoming court is such a hidebound tradition that Erika probably needs a male escort for the presentation, whether it's someone she goes to the dance with or not. (Unless this is the kind where there's a "king's court" of jocks doing the escorting whether the girls like them or not. I gather the customs vary, even from one school to the next within the same town.)

But the only question in my mind is whether the combination of Tricia and Julian "dating" Erika at the same event will lead to a public explosion or merely to private resentment -- I can't see any light at the end of that particular tunnel. (And of course there remains the question of what happens if Tricia's undesired male escort is someone who won't take 'no' for an answer. Since the partner for Tricia that the girls were hoping for probably isn't available, the suspicion is strong that whoever Julian comes up with won't measure up. I wonder if it'd be in Erika's and Tricia's best interests -- if not the story's -- for their parents to veto the pre-dance restaurant meal because of their grounding.)

Eric

I Wish I Had Thought…

…up the name Lipdik. The image it conjours up is somewhat unsettling. You will just have to be careful, Anistasia, when typing it next time in case “finger slippage” makes it comes out as Likdik or even Dipdik. Eeeewwww!

Much safer to stick to Dr Bob.

Good chapter, A.A. Thanks for it. Keep up the good work.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

You Puled A Gabi On Us, A.A.

Such unique names you use. I almost pe'ed in my pants reading this chapter.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nah

AA is smarter than that.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

For a change!

For a change, Every one seems to be happy, Even mom seems to be a bit happier...Erika's friends are pleased too that there will be no comeback on them for helping out there friend.

In fact things are running too smoothly!!As we all know from reading Anistasia's great story this happy state of affairs will not last for too long!

With the upcoming Homecoming the stage is set for trouble on a big stage, i hope i'm wrong But i just hope Erika is able to come through with all her hopes for her future still intact.

Mind you having just said that i'm probally way off what will really happen!....So i guess i'll just to wait {sigh} to find out! Great writing as always Ani... enjoying it lots

Hugs Kirri

P & P Dialogue

terrynaut's picture

Hey! I'm back from England and this is the first story I've read since I got back. That should tell you how much I like your story. :)

I love all of the twists and turns you've added in this chapter. I look forward to seeing them all play out. You're pretty good about following through with subplots. That's one of the things I love about this story.

There's only one thing that bothered me a little about this chapter. It was mostly dialogue. There was too little introspection and descriptions in my humble opinion.

Oh! I like Mrs. Martin's progress. I hope it continues.

Thanks for the chapter and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Mom seems

to have come a long way recently. If I were in her shoes though, I'm sure that the meeting with the school helped a lot, and the continual revelations of just how bad Eric's life was should only serve to help the parents' attitude adjustments. Daddy seems to be okay, aside from the occasional pronoun slippage.

I'm not real happy with Erika and Tricia plotting for the dance as they are, but that sort of thing does happen IRL. I've also seen girls double-date and switch their male partners at the dance, leaving the other couple in a very awkward situation. But it hasn't happened yet, so we'll wait and see. Erika has other things to consider, what with being nominated to the Court, so going with a boy really is probably the safest course. Perhaps her and Tricia can keep their passion under control for one public outing, hmm?

Great job, Anistasia, as I've said before, just when I think I've figured out where you're going, you suddenly turn down an alley I didn't know was there!

Hugs
Carla Ann