Raccoon Ruckus

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

A day at the beach for one young girl becomes a nightmare.
Raccoon Ruckus
A KittyHawk Tail
by Saless

I’ll never forget my sixteenth birthday. My parents were big on the whole sweet sixteen thing and wanted it to be special. It was ‘special’ alright!

We flew to Australia for a week. We arrived three days before my birthday and would leave three days after. Sounds like a great sweet sixteen; and it might have been if not for that trip to the beach.

We’d been doing the tourist thing for a couple of days. My birthday was all planned out, but the day before was whatever I wanted it to be. I decided to go to the beach. My parents weren’t surprised; I’ve always loved the ocean.

My Dad decided we would go somewhere off the beaten track. So we went driving until we found a place where we could get to the ocean but there weren’t a lot of other people around. In fact, there weren’t any other people!

I spent the whole day there, swimming as much as I could. I rested on the beach when I got too tired to swim, but only until I was ready to go back out! I had a great time and thanked my parents for taking me.

We celebrated my birthday the next day, which was great! A couple of days later I started feeling sick. We all assumed it was the flu at first. I started throwing up a lot. But I didn’t stop! I threw up so much I became really weak and passed out. My Mom got scared and took me to the hospital.

I woke up in the hospital with an IV in my arm. Mom was sitting on one side of me, Dad on the other. They were glad to see me wake up and told me what happened. They hadn’t heard back from a doctor, yet.

We talked while we waited for someone to tell us what was going on. I was feeling a little better. I wasn’t throwing up anymore, anyway. Mom said I looked like I’d lost twenty pounds, which is scary considering I’ve always been really thin.

Finally a doctor walked in. “Hello, my name is Dr. Morris.” He said in greeting.

“What’s wrong with my baby?” Mom asked anxiously.

“Well, the short answer is she’s mutating.” Dr. Morris answered.

Mom looked confused and asked, “What are you talking about?”

“We’ve been getting quite a few cases lately. It’s the result of some kind of illegal toxic waste dumping, or so I’ve heard. People all around the Pacific Rim have been affected. Most survive and are, in fact, often healthier than they were before mutating. The down side is that they often pick up animal traits. Sometimes psychological, like hunting instincts that can take over, or physical traits like claws and fangs.” Dr. Morris explained.

“My daughter is not becoming an animal!” Dad roared. I winced and leaned away from him. It’s no fun being near him when he gets mad.

The doctor managed to remain calm; I guess he has to deal with this kind of thing sometimes. “Mr. Carson, I didn’t say your daughter was going to become an animal. She may gain one or more animal traits, but she’ll still be human.” He said.

“Surely there’s something you can do about this?!” Mom exclaimed.

Dr. Morris shook his head regretfully. “We still don’t understand how this works. There’s nothing we can do except make her as comfortable as possible until the mutation has run its course.” He replied.

Dad stormed out and Mom followed with a brief apologetic look towards the doctor. Neither of them looked at me.

“Are you alright, Shawna?” Dr. Morris asked me.

“I’m scared, what happens if I look like an animal after this?” I asked fearfully. It didn’t sound like my parents could accept that. I wasn’t even sure if I could accept that!

“I’m sure once they’ve calmed down your parents will come around.” Dr. Morris said hopefully. I don’t think he believed it any more than I did.

He left after that, and a nurse came around with some food. I picked at it, but I didn’t have an appetite. An hour later I was throwing it up; and a lot more. How much more weight could I lose?

I never saw my parents again. I was out of it for a couple of days, the doctors kept me sedated because I was in a lot of pain. When that finally passed I found I was only four foot eight! I’d been five foot six inches before. I was tiny now!

That was bad enough, but I was also getting some animal traits, just like I feared. My eyes looked different, as did my ears. My teeth seemed sharper, too. My fingernails had thickened and grown out like claws. I later learned my toenails were the same.

When I asked about my parents, Dr. Morris looked sorrowful and answered, “They were very upset when they saw the changes you’ve gone through so far. I’m afraid I had to have security escort your father out.”
I nodded. Dad has a bad temper, it sounded like something he’d do.

My body kept changing after that. I didn’t get any smaller, thankfully. My claws grew out more, and fangs, too. Fur grew out on my hands and feet, and my feet and hips changed shape. Dr. Morris told me it would make it easier to walk on all fours, but it probably wouldn’t keep me from walking on just my legs.

My ears migrated to the top of my head. I also grew a tail. It’s long and fluffy, and colored just like a raccoons. Obviously that’s where I got my animal traits from, a raccoon. At least I got them from a cute and clever animal.

Once I could finally keep something down, it still took a couple of days to get my strength back. Once I did they were ready to discharge me, but to where? Dr. Morris had found out that my parents had flown back to the states.

I was depressed because of how like an animal I really looked, so I didn’t pay much attention to what was going on around me. Someone gave me some clothes to wear, and they led me out of the hospital. I was taken to a house where a couple who fostered kids was supposed to look after me until they could figure out what to do with me.

That went out the window as soon as I stepped inside, and soon so did I. They were violently apposed to having an ‘animal’ in their house and attacked me. The guy who took me there had just dropped me off, so there was no one else there to help me, assuming they’d even want to.

After jumping through a window to escape the crazy foster parents I ran for as long as I could. I ended up in an alley behind a garbage bin. I had some cuts and scratches from jumping through the window, but otherwise I was okay. I rested there until I got my breath back and thought about what I’d do.

I figured the foster parents from hell would tell whoever sent me there that I’d run away or something. I didn’t know who to trust, so I decided to stay out of sight for a while.

I lived off food found in dumpsters for a few days until I met up with a group of guys with a serious hate on for mutants. Next thing I know, I’m back in the hospital.

“Hello again, Shawna.” Dr. Morris said as he entered my room.

I had just woken up, but his arrival made it clear where I was. “Hi.” I said, wondering what would happen next.

“Why did you run away from the foster family that was supposed to look after you?” he asked.

“I didn’t run away, I was chased away!” I yelled back. “I had to jump through a window to get away from those lunatics!”

Dr. Morris rocked back on his heels when I yelled at him. He seemed genuinely upset over what I told him. “I’m very sorry to hear that. Where have you been all this time?” he asked.

I shrugged, “Hiding.”

He nodded and proceeded to tell me what my injuries were. Apparently those thugs had broken three ribs, an arm, a leg, and given me a skull fracture. I’d been in the hospital for a couple of days. The amazing thing was that I was almost fully healed!

“How’s that possible?” I asked in astonishment.

“It seems to be part of the mutation. I don’t know if all mutants get it, but several have shown to have unusually fast healing rates. In more severe mutations, like yours, the rate of healing is usually even faster.” He explained. Well, at least I got something useful out of it, besides an annoyingly good sense of smell and hearing.

Dr. Morris said he’d make some calls and see about getting me back to the states, but nothing ever came of it. A couple of days later I was back on the streets.

It seemed like every week or two I came across somebody who hates mutants. Sometimes I managed to get away. The rest of the time I ended up back with Dr. Morris. He got more upset each time I saw him, but there was nothing he could do. I always ended up back on the street. Which was fine with me, I didn’t trust anyone anymore.

I had to keep moving during the day to avoid the roving groups of thugs who seemed to be actively hunting me now. Apparently word had gotten around and lots of people wanted me gone.

One day I was running from one of those groups, only to run into another one. I changed direction, but there was yet another group of crazies! They’d set a trap for me! We were out in the open, so I couldn’t even climb up on a building or tree or something. They weren’t coming at me as fast as usual, trying to make sure I didn’t get away.

I was totally surrounded, and I knew I wouldn’t be seeing Dr. Morris this time. They weren’t going to be satisfied with just roughing me up. I was way too small to fight back. I’d gotten really good reflexes out of my mutation, but no strength at all.

I thought I saw a big bird circling overhead, just before they started pummeling me and I blacked out.


 To Be Continued...in KittyHawk Part 5
 

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ooh, I love the setup!

Now why do I get the idea that two batches of mutant haters are about to meet their worst nightmare?

Battery.jpg

Mutant haters beware!

Yeah, they're in trouble! ;)

Thanks Theide!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Whee!

(^__^) Finally, a chance for her.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Kind of due one, huh?

Kind of due one, huh? ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Big Bird?

I don't think it's the Big Bird from Sesame Street. Anyone want to bet against it being someone from another story in this universe? No? Ahhh, okay, I have this really nice bridge I'm willing to sell... Oh, wait, you wouldn't take that bet so the bridge thing is out, too.

Seriously, Another good one in this series. Your universe is well thought out, consistent, and its characters are generally quite good. However, and there's always one of those, isn't there? I never quite got a complete feel for Shawna as opposed to the really strong characters in your other stories. I'm sure that her personality, quirks and all, will show later, so I'm not worried, just mentioned it here.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to more in this uni and about Shawna.

Poor characterization...

Yes, I didn't do very well with the characterization on this one. In my defense, it's a very short little intro and Shawna's not exactly at her best through most of it. Still, I should have done it better. I'll elaborate on her character later, though.

Thanks for the praise, I'll try to live up to it!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

From The Title, She

More than likely has a few 'coon traits.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You could say that...

Heck, she's living out of dumpsters! How 'coon-ish is that! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What kind of parent is that?

I mean, abandoning your child in the wildness of such a cruel world. Does they lover her actually? Not as if it was her fault.

But in any way, I'm glad to see Cat coming to rescue her. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter, but I still don't know how you intend to bring her on the island. Could Catherine carry a passenger?

Continue that way, so that I won't have any time to return to my story :)

Mildred

That is a good point.

Are we going to see Cat carry her or are they going to have to 'borrow' a boat? I can them landing with a boat load of people and everyone asking how since Cat was going to rescue just one. I can just see her trying to explain how everything snowballed. :) On the other hand, she is small and Cat is very strong so she might be able to carry them both back to the island.

Hugs!

grover

PS: I'm shutting up now! :)

It is...

As is Cat's strength a good point. Shawna's a pretty light load for her. The boat thing's an interesting idea, too.

Saless

PS: No need to shut up, I love comments! The more the merrier! :)

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Very very bad ones!

Yeah, Shawna's parents are pretty lousy when it comes down to it. Just about anyone back on the island could do a better job! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Here comes Mama!

Now we'll see just what kind of maternal instincts Cat has. On the other hand it's a really bad day to be beating on tiny 4'8" raccoon girls. If this is the way all mutants are being treated, Cat's isle is going to have a population explosion with the refugees. I agree that I would have liked to see a little more character development before Cat gets there, but seeing how you've done such a great job with this so far I'll shut up! Ain't no one as good at shutting up like I am at shutting up! :)

hugs!

grover

Don't mess with her cubs! ;)

Thanks grover! I'll try to make up for the poor characterization in KittyHawk 5.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Not bad at all

Hum,

does anyone get a mutant makeover that makes them a superior lawyer, say part wolf or part great white shark?

Her parents need to be taken to task. That is also true for the various crimially liable foster so-caled parents that abused her.

The best restituion is for her biological parents to be exposed and mom, who let dad make her abandon her own child should end up small and helpless and dad end up a human jellyfish.

Okay maybe not that bad but they need to attone and to be punished somehow.

Hum? If their daughter and other major mutants have superior regenerative powers what if mom or better yet dad contracts terminal cancer. Will they risk the mutanegen to save their life?

I love it when the oppressed become the salvation of the oppressor.

Lots of kwel groveling.

Jesse but I have a mean streak -- sniocker --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Well, Mike's part wolf, but

Well, Mike's part wolf, but he's too nice of a guy to be a lawyer. ;) Maybe a hyena?

Would it be too cruel for Shawna's dad to get mutated into a woman with no enhanced abilities of any kind? ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Well, many women have powers ...

The power to make men drool and develope painful bulges in their pants.

That's it, dad's diagnosed with terminal cancer, they try an unproven use of the mutagen on him as a cure and he ends up a five foot nothing 95 pound teenage hottie with prominient elf ears and purple hair. Anti mutants find him,um her, rape her and she's gets pregnant.

Ooooh, even better, he ends up a four foot tall pixy with huge translucent dragonfly like wings and you know how hot Tinkerbell is if you scaled her up. Yes I realise such wings likely don't scale up right for fight but she's a mutant and somehow they work, just not in time to prevent her sexual asault

Mom breaks up with him before he learns of the cancer but later takes her injured/pregnant ex-husband back and they try to find the daughter they abandond.

Okay THAT's the patented Disney Happy EndingTM.

Still, they seemed good people until her acidental mutation. Mayber they can redeem themselves?

Nice series so far.

John in wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

You are wicked John!

LOL!! Cruel, but oh so funny! Thanks John!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Well, Tinkerbell Is a serious hottie

She's something of a Disneyfied 1940 Vargas pin-up, what with the exagerated legs, tiny waist, long slender arms and fingers and her extremly well developed, um femine attributes. She has a cute/impish face, a sexy ass and huge boobs, okay?

Jesse, I try to be dignified and ...

I suspect she's patterned after Jennette Nolan or Shelly Winters in their prime. Howard Huges had his sights on Winters at one time.

It's your baby but I am hoping the parents and even our surly mutant on the island can change for the better.

Some people can't be redeemed. Sometimes the victim is dead and cannot be compensated but still with out the chance of redemption, without hope, without love is life worth living? I am a fan of both justce and of redemption, so long as it is in keeping with the character's motivations.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

True

Hey, I'm not arguing, Tinkerbell is a pretty little thing (I prefer gothic fairies myself, but she's still hot). I'm not sure if we'll be hearing from Shawna's parents again or not, but Jacob has already gotten a little better. Maybe he'll become a decent human being, I'm not sure yet.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Wicked Witch of the North. John???

John I just can see the glowing soap bubble of the fairy drifting down to deliver her decree. A happy ending or else buster! Even still 4 feet tall??? The first punishment with her being an obvious mutant with no powers was bad enough, but that small? Unfortunately the gang rape thing is too possible given how hate crimes work. How can a homophobic mutant hating male rape what he knows used to be another male, but not consider himself sexually warped? Yeah, I know rape is simply itself a brutal assault but sometimes I wish I wasn't human seeing the cruel things we do to each other. On the other hand if you wanted to give her a cute little stinger where anyone who rapes her is themselves mutated I won't object. Make a dad a mutant Typhoid Mary.

hugs!

grover

I always prefer it when

I always prefer it when they're consequences for the bad guys, that's certainly one way to do it!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

One BIG Q you may wish to answer

Were they exposed to animal DNA in clothing, IE raccoon fur, bird feathers, the flesh of contaminated fish and such. Is it a manifestation of our common ancestry at some point way back? Is it the power of our subconscious affecting the activated DNA and turning on genes to mimic our thoughts? Is it a combination? And can a mutant mutate again if the exposure is stronger than before or are they immune?

With the MORFS universe it contact or near contact with an animal or plant right as MORFS begins and usually you mutate once or at most twice and mostly at or near puberty but it can happen much latter in life under special circumstances.

Curious to your explanation. Maybe they don't have a clue yet in this *universe*, at least not for a few years, they only have conjecture thus the interest in the high powered mutants both for clues and their abilities.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

A good question...

I was wondering when someone would ask that question! I do have an explanation for that, but it's not going to become known in the story for a little while yet. As for whether a second mutation is possible, I'm leaning towards no, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

I'd say more, but I think it would be better to let it come out in the story.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What sort of parents can

What sort of parents can Shawna's be, If they leave there daughter alone in a strange city with no obvious way of supporting herself? Thankfully it looks like a flying angel might come to her rescue and do the job that her parents should be doing!!!

Great little story Saless, The KittyHawk universe continues to grow....Now i've just got to wait for KittyHawk pt 5 to find out what happens next(sigh!!).

Hugs Kirri

Thanks!

Thanks Kirri! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Bangkok Zoo

laika's picture

Hi Saless
Neat story. I was writing a review of your Summer Mutation story this morning, but this part of it might go better here. I wrote:

I wonder if any of these mutations into other sorts of mammals would involve multiple sets of mammaries. Since the atavism of supernumary nipples is a fairly common mutation in the real world. Asthetically this is a bit disturbing---to my rather provincial & anthrocentric mind anyway---but maybe some would find it appealing (when I was growing up there were these creepy novelty calendars that used trick photogrphy to show women with 4 or more breasts...). I could see mutant girls in this universe of yours, run off by their families, and finding themselves working in the sex trade, in a new red light district in Thailand known as The Bangkok Zoo. Maybe your Kittyhawk islanders could find new citizens there.
.

The "run off by their families" part was eerily prescient of this here story, and then I started riffing:

Kim was in trouble. She hadn't meant to kill her trick, but drunk as he was he had kept pulling on her tale and calling her that awful nickname, and with her super-strength she had just .......... reacted.

It was bad enough when the Thai police were after her, but now the gangsters were too, and they apparently had a policy of killing rogue mutants on sight, as murdered johns were bad for business. Even with her healing powers Kim was hurting bad after that one had managed to unload his entire banana clip into her before she could take his head off. She limped down the alley looking for a place where she might be able to hole up and regenerate. But rounding the corner she ran into 2 more of the heavily armed thugs. Oh shit, she was dead for sure now!

When suddenly she found herself yanked off the ground and whisked off over the banyan trees and gleaming corrugated metal rooftops. She looked up at her smiling rescuer: "Who are you?"

"My name's cat. And you look like you might be in need of a career change about now..."

.
Weird huh? I didn't mean to start writing your stories for you but when I'm really taken with a story I'll do that. You can use any of this if you want...
~~~hugs, Laika.

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

Interesting ideas...

The extra breasts idea makes sense, it does seem like that could happen (It's certainly no stranger than extra limbs like wings and tails). And as disturbing as that sort of thing is, using young outcast mutants as sex workers certainly sounds like something that would happen (It's not that different from what happens now, after all, except for the mutant part). I might just use that Bangkok Zoo...

Kim sounds like an interesting character, too.

I have a lot of plans for KittyHawk, many of which have barely begun to show themselves, if at all. You, Laika, have just added to them! In fact, you've helped me decide how to introduce something I've been planning for a while. I think this idea will be a lot better now thanks to you! Thank you!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

It depends on the dominent traits in the mutant's mixed-up DNA

Cat has one pair of breasts and I assume a single uterus because her basic bodyform, her dominent one is human, She has magor bird and cat -- lion or puma? - feaures but all tie into or are subseviant to her very human face and bodyshape.

She has talons and claws but her hands are very human, her feet are somewhat human except for the talons as she has no hind claw, and her legs, face, torso etc are very human and attractive to humans. Even the huge hawk wings fit onto her frame in a human or angelic way.

As to Kim our American Tiger woman prostitute; a tricked TG *patient* like Kestrel? A random victim they yanked out of a Bangkok bar or brothel , a sailor they drugged and mutated then dumped? Ironic if he, now she was from that doomed carrier task force. Now if Kim's Tiger DNA dominates regarding her torso, she could have six breasts, tiger stripped skin and or fur and even multiple uteruses. her head and mouth are still mostly human as she talks fine.

Hum was she even a guy or a woman they experimented on? Could have been a begining actress desparate for a break who is offered *free* cosmetic surgury -- say a nose job, breast implans and such -- in exchage for helping them with a clinical trial of a new pain pill only it's a ruse for the mutenagen trials.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. great idea here Laika

John in Wauwatosa

Similar Train of Thought?

Not really, I suppose, but I was looking for a place to put this:

The 6/18 Dear Abby column, dealing with the protocol of women using breast pumps outside of the home, ran a letter that referenced a woman with an office sign reading "I make milk. What's your superpower?"

Talk about a KittyHawk scenario. (In fact, I understand there's an obnoxious morning radio DJ who calls himself Mancow...)

Eric

I like that sign

Makes me wonder what a cow mutant would be like, especially a female one!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Saless, Did the parents also

Saless,
Did the parents also go swimming? If they did, wouldn't they also become mutated? Perhaps as a "punishment" for abandoning their daughter in a foreign country, they could now be mutating back home (being older, it took much longer to change) and come to the realization of how cruel they were to their daughter. Just a thought. I do find this story rather interesting and the characters as they are introduced are very intriguing. J-Lynn

Alas, Shawna's parents

Alas, Shawna's parents didn't go swimming. Of course, there are others ways of getting exposed... ;)

Thanks J-Lynn!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America