Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 685.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 685
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I let the aliens play for a bit before I got up and showered each one of the girls separately. I wasn’t sure if Livvie had actually seen Trish’s naked body, and wasn’t about to give her the opportunity. I had a horrible feeling that the theory and actuality might have a different outcome; as we were okay with the theory, I left it at that.

Simon went downstairs to start the breakfast. All the media were full of tributes to Michael Jackson, which I understood, but quickly reached saturation point. We did have one bit of humour: the elder girls were trying to copy Jackson’s famous moonwalk, which was better than I could do, and sadly more effective than Mima’s. She had us all in stitches, laughing at herself as she went along.

I showered and dressed after breakfast and made the girls sit and read to me. They wanted another Gaby story, but in case I was accused of influencing them, I made them read me some Anne of Green Gables. Then I asked them questions about what they’d read to check interpretation. Even Meems could do some of that, and her comprehension was quite good for one so young.

By the time I’d finished their English lesson, it was nearly lunch time. It was clear that the two five year olds, had a reading age well above their physical age, and even Mima was able to recognise some words. I left them teaching her some new ones.

After lunch, we all went for a walk and they asked if we could get a paddling pool. I said I’d have to ask Gramps, as it was his house. It was only a formality but one I felt was necessary to show him due courtesy and respect. I did suggest we could go to the swimming baths, which we did at the hotel owned by the bank. As soon as I parked the car, they seemed to know I was there.

According to Simon, they have all the family’s car numbers which are read by a computer system and staff alerted. As we walked into the hotel complex, the manager popped over to greet us, “Lady Cameron, how nice to see you again, and these are?”

“Our foster children,” I introduced each one and they shook hands, even Mima. “Is it alright if we use the pool?”

“But of course, I’ll have some towels and costumes organised immediately.”

“No thanks, I’ve brought those myself.”

“As you wish, Lady Catherine, perhaps I could have a tray of soft drinks sent down for you and the children.”

“That would be very kind of you, thank you.” We were led down to the leisure complex part of the hotel by a porter, who insisted on carrying the large canvas bag bearing our swimming costumes. Apparently, the Cameron family had their own changing room suite, which locked. They gave me a key for my own personal use.

“Why are we swimming here, Mummy,” asked Trish.

“Grampa Henry’s bank owns this hotel, and I thought it would be nicer than the municipal pool.”

“It’s wuvvwie, Mummy,” Mima offered as she wandered around the room opening and shutting lockers.

“Will we have lockers, Mummy?” asked Trish.

“I don’t know, sweetheart, I suppose it depends upon how often we use it. Come on, let’s get everyone changed.” I’d already changed them into their cozzies back at the house, so we avoided that problem. There were only one or two others using the pool, so we had the shallow end more or less to ourselves.

I discovered that none of the girls could actually swim, and thankfully none had a fear of water, they had to wait while I organised some flotation devices for them. Along came a young man and woman in swimming costumes with tee shirts over them, and in the next moment, they were in the water helping the girls learn to swim.

I thought I’d be stuck with Meems, but they insisted that they could cope with the three of them and I was invited to do my own thing, including using the spa, if I so wanted. I didn’t so instead swam some lengths. I’m not a good swimmer, so will never make a triathlete, and before the end of the session, I was getting some tuition as well, which did make a difference. I don’t use my legs enough, apparently.

When we went back to the changing room, there was an assortment of soft drinks available with some fresh fruit and some flowers. They really know how to put on the style at this place. Part of it was wonderful and part offended my socialist tendencies. I decided to go with the flow, and remark to Henry how well we were treated, which would hopefully get one or two of the staff some bonuses.

The two older girls were impressed with how much nicer the experience was than using the council owned swimming pool, and they each ate some fruit and drank a glass of pop each.

While we were sitting and refreshing ourselves, I sent Henry a text telling him how impressed I was. While we were changing, he replied.

‘Glad 2 C U using the family facilities. If it was N E thing less than perfect let me know. H.’

I replied, ’It is perfect, may cum agen, C xxx.’

’Gud, use as of10 as U like, H xxx.’

I helped each of the girls shower and dry themselves, there is even a hair drier there–why did that surprise me, with everything they had done for us, I shouldn’t have been.

Anyway, Trish’s modesty was preserved and we left after I offered the staff some money for tips, which they refused. “Look, I’d like to say thank you to you all, you’ve been fabulous.”

“Write and tell Lord Henry, that way we know our jobs are safe.”

“Aren’t they, anyway?” I asked, perhaps naively.

“Goodness no. If we serve a member of the family and they aren’t happy, heads roll.”

“You make it sound positively mediaeval.” I was horrified.

“I won’t comment on that, for obvious reasons, Lady Catherine.”

“Feel free, it won’t get back to Henry.”

“Thanks for the offer, Lady Catherine, but I really would prefer not to say anything.”

“As you wish. Right, kiddiewinks, let’s go home.”

“Your next appointment with the coaching staff.” He handed me an embossed appointment card, to which he’d added his mobile number. “Any problems, let me know.”

“Yes, thank you, you’ve been excellent in looking after us.”

“Thank you for saying so.”

As we drove home, I informed the girls we had a swimming lesson every week, at which they cheered themselves silly.

When we got home, I got straight into organising dinner. Simon, when he arrived, asked how we’d got on. I told him that I was most impressed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

With the weather forecast

for next week saying its going to be in the region of 32c, And warning you to keep young children indoors, maybe Cathy ought to book the pool everyday

Sometimes its just nice to use your family connections for your own and your childrens benefit... And anyway it keeps the staff in a job!!!

Kirri

talk of annoying

There are no snow plows in the whole country, and you complain about 32c!!! That's just a warm day. Where I live we have to plow the streets at least twice a year (and those north of us complain we do it too slowly) and we usually have several +35c days too. I hope it rains on the Queen's birthday, both of them.

Celsius not Fahrenheit

Hi Jan

In the U.K. we use Celsius not Fahrenheit so 32c would be around 90f which in our wet climate is considered to be something of an heatwave.

Kirri

Yeah

Yeah, I knew that, and 90f isn't a heat wave!! 100+f (about 37c) is a heat wave if it's more than one afternoon. And I don't even live in the south.

Rain on all the Queen's birthdays and bonfire night too. :P

Actually, it depends...

In the area I currently reside, a heat wave is defined as three consecutive days of 90+ (F) weather... And, around here - it'll be very humid at that temperature.

I recall one summer in Nebraska where we had 93 days where the temperature was 93+ (F)... And no rain. Nowhere near as hot as 90 feels here.

Year 2011

There summer of Dallas in 2011 had over a month of really hot days, around 115°F (46°C). Not good, very unpleasant as a matter of fact. There were rolling blackouts, and the air conditioning bills were equally unpleasant.

It was something of a record, matter of fact. Year 2012 looks like it is on track to be a duplicate.

We can be pretty flexible

We can be pretty flexible with our use of Celsius and Fahrenheit in the U.K. We have been known to use Celsius for cold temps (0c sounds more impressive than 32f) and 100f hotter than 38 Celsius.

Learning new words

My brothers used to teach me new words when I was little. But Mom and Dad put a stop to that! ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

LOL

That comment made my day.

What drug did Cathy take

She made it through the upper class pamper thing with just a thought of the injustice. Glad she told Henry how good she was treated. Great also that the girls get swimming lessons. Every child needs to learn to swim. Did Cathy take enough advantage of her "down" time?

What I Find Great About Cathy

Is that she is finally accepting her new Rank as Simon's wife to be.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not using legs enough...

is quite a common problem with untrained/poorly trained swimmers. As the author is quite aware, the legs are VERY STRONG muscles... Yet the average swimmer only kicks enough to keep the legs up or uses a technique that is wasteful of energy, and thus doesn't do very much good so they think the legs are not very useful swimming.

Oops... I let my swimming past sneek out (I was a varsety swimmer in High School - event the 1650m and taught swimming in the summers in High School and while in Uni)... Oh well.

It's always a good idea to thank - by name - staff at hotels and such, when they do a particularly good job. Not only do they deserve it, it contributes to job security, may impact their pay/promotion and more. Beyond that, it's the nice thing to do. (It's also important to inform on particularly BAD service, though that's less pleasant to do. *sighs* )

Cathy and the girls had a very nice afternoon swimming, and swimming is a useful skill for anyone (I hope I'll be able to get back into swimming again "soon"... With things "in-between" it's more difficult now. *sighs*)

Thanks for the fun story.
Annette

Another calm day

Another calm day for Cathy and her three charges. Glad to see she could get them to the pool for some fun time. The staff was wise to have begun teaching the girls how to swim.

Thanks, Angharad, for another delightful chapter!

Jenny

Jenny

Thank you Whizz for a sweet chapter

I could get used to these positive chapters Ang. Is someone to be diagnosed with Cancer or being a fan of Maggie and Dennis ?
I wonder which would worse ?

Cefin