Changes~20

Printer-friendly version

We arrived back in Penmarris rather later than we hoped. I had wanted to see Katie about those emails I had received from Olivia and Nigel, but now that would have to wait until the morning.


Changes

Chapter 20

By Susan Brown


 
 
Previously…

As we left the store, arm in arm looking, I think, the best we could ever look, The Dress caught my eye again. I could hear it calling me and it was no good, a few minutes later, I left with it, determined to wear it at the first posh do I was invited too.

As we returned to St Marks to collect the car, we both kept looking at our reflections in shop windows and I think we even turned a few heads.

Yes, it had been a splendid day’s shopping–I hoped the first of many.

And now the story continues…

We arrived back in Penmarris rather later than we hoped. I had wanted to see Katie about those emails I had received from Olivia and Nigel, but now that would have to wait until the morning.

Jo had kindly dropped me off and helped me cart my bags into the cottage. Then after a quick hug and kiss on the cheek, she went off home. I wondered what reaction she would get from David and the girls when she arrived home all glammed up. She promised to ring me later to let me know. I had given her my new mobile number so there was no excuse not to keep me updated.

After putting the shopping bags on the bed, I made myself a cup of tea and sat on the balcony drinking in the view as well as the tea. As usual, the seagulls were making their presence known by their cacophony, not helped by a fishing boat entering the harbour.

Gazing at the sea, I wondered how stormy it got during the winter. My butterfly mind flipped to stories I had heard about William Turner, the famous English landscape artist who was said to have tied himself to the mast of a ship in order to experience the drama of the raging sea. I tend to take stories like that with a pinch of salt as there is little evidence that he actually did it, but I liked the sentiment.

I imagined myself being on the wild shore, foam and spume racing toward me, hitting the rocks in a torrent of violence; sucking the breath from me, all in order to paint the wildness of nature. No doubt I would be wearing something white, long and flowing for dramatic effect. Then I remembered that I couldn’t swim, so I would have to look on from afar, probably with binoculars.

I sat there for quite a while, calming myself down after the excitement of the day. It was true that today I had felt more of a woman than ever before. My hair looked wonderful and the makeover that Veronica had given to me gave an insight as to how I could look always if I did things right. Okay, I didn’t have her skill, but I did have time now to perfect the mysteries of applying makeup the proper way. I would go to the makeup classes and hoped I would be able to recreate Veronica’s work sometime soon.

It was starting to get cooler and the gentle breeze was making me feel that I needed to go in. I shut the doors, and went down to the kitchen. After washing my cup, I looked in the fridge and realised that I didn’t have much to eat unless I fancied corn flakes.

I grabbed my cardi and went out of the cottage and down to the harbour. There weren’t so many people about now, the day trippers having all but left and I assumed that the locals were more or less tucked up at home or in one of the two pubs. There were a few people walking their dogs, but that was about it. Oh there were some kids on the beach still playing football, no doubt trying to emulate Mark Hurst or some other star but other than that, it was quite peaceful.

I went into the fish and chip shop and ordered a cod and chips (haddock was off) and waited on the bench outside until the order was ready. As I waited a man hurried by and then stopped.

‘Hello again.’

I looked up and saw that it was Doctor Sinclair. ‘Hi,’ I said, ‘you seem to be in a rush.’

‘I am really, I’m going to be late for tea again; the wife does have a go at me sometimes.’

‘The joys of marriage, I suppose. But I thought that she was a doctor too. I’d have thought that she’d understand if you were late occasionally.’

‘Well, to tell you the truth I have been in the Toad and Tart and got talking to a few cronies and you know what it’s like–time flies.’

‘Well, there’s no excuse then. You have to go and confess your sins to your wife and throw yourself on her mercy.’

‘What mercy? She’s a hard woman.’

‘Not too hard I hope, I need to speak to her in the next couple of days.’

‘What, professionally?’

‘Yes.’

‘Right, okay, pop along to the surgery and sign up when you’re ready, we give free lollypops to good girls.’

‘What about boys?’

‘They prefer sticks of rock. Anyway I had better go, see you anon.’

‘’Bye.’

He rushed off just before I was called in to collect my takeaway.

I returned home as quickly as possible, as I wanted to eat the fish and chips hot. In very few minutes, I was tucking into to the heavenly smelling and tasting food and before long was quite full up as they always give you far too many chips–not that I was complaining.

As I had eaten direct from the paper, I had saved on washing up and I put the wrappers in the rubbish bin. I grabbed one of the two remaining cokes from the fridge and sat down on the settee. I really needed to sort through the clothes that I had bought, and even though I felt somewhat knackered, after finishing my drink, I went upstairs. There I unpacked the multitude of carrier bags and folded or hung up everything, promising myself that I would try them on in the morning; then I decided to get ready for bed.

I was reluctant to take off my makeup, but wanted to preserve the way it was done before removing the evidence. Then I had an idea.

I had my camera in the bottom of the wardrobe, so I got it out, set it on a shelf, and put it on timer mode. Then I went into the bathroom, brushed my hair and refreshed my lippy from the basket of goodies that Veronica had supplied.

As soon as I was ready, I returned to the bedroom, clicked the camera button and hurried around so that it would take a picture of my face. I had just got into position, when the flash went off. I had a look at the photo it had taken on the screen at the back of the camera and saw that I had a lovely picture of some hair and one of my ears. So I repositioned it carefully and clicked the button again.

This time, I managed to get into position just in time and the flash fired again. Looking at the picture, I was quite pleased. Just in case, I took three more and then was satisfied that I had all I needed.

I pulled all the curtains and made sure that everything was locked up. I had this weird feeling that Nigel or one of his henchmen would come and get me and drag me back to Olivia; well this was one fly who wasn’t going to get caught up in her spiders web again.

After filling the bath and adding some bubbles, I sighed as I slipped into the warm water. My aches and pains drifted away gently as I lay there, making me feel very relaxed.

Recalling the day, I smiled at the blossoming of Jocasta. For so many years, she had hidden herself away from being beautiful behind a curtain of hair that virtually obscured her pretty face because of scars she had received when she was a child. Seeing her blossom after having her hair and face done was wonderful to see.

Then there was me. I was amazed at how a different hairstyle and a proper makeover had transformed me. Before, I always worried that would be “clocked” and laughed at and ridiculed for being something that I was not. Now I could see that I looked as well as felt like a woman. I wasn’t a helpless case and I could function as a girl and above everything else, not be seen in any way shape or form, as a man.

I got out of the bath and went to look in the mirror. After wiping the steam off, I took one final glance at my painted face and then cleaned it all off with a sigh. Soon my skin was clean and slightly shiny again. I searched among the goodies Veronica had given me and applied the recommended night cream. It had a delightful fragrance and was absorbed into my skin very easily. I thought about counting my fine lines and doing it again in the morning, to see if any had vanished, but I was too tired.

I wondered whether I should use the removal solution for my breasts, but decided that I would remove them for a breather the following night. They weren’t itchy or anything and in fact, felt very much part of me. I looked forward so much to having my own and wondered how sensitive they would be.

I slipped on one of my new nighties; it was peach coloured, strappy and went down to my calves. It felt like liquid on my skin as I slipped it on and was very sensuous. I turned on the bedside light, switched off the main one, before slipping under the covers, sighing as I relaxed in soft warmth.

I almost dropped off and then remembered that I’d said I would ring Jo, then looking at the time, I wondered whether I might interrupt something if I rang now. No, I would leave it until tomorrow. Anyway, come to think of it, she said she would ring me. Maybe she was busy tonight.

I picked up my favourite well-thumbed Pride and Prejudice paperback and was soon engrossed in the more genteel time of and Elizabeth and Darcy. But even the delights of Jane Austen weren’t enough to keep me awake so I turned off the light and went to sleep.

There was a crash of thunder that seemed to be directly overhead and it jolted me awake somewhat violently. Checking my bedside clock, it told me it was two in the morning. I could hear the rain lashing the bedroom window and I could almost feel the spume-laden wind battering the side of the cottage.

I got out of bed, put my dressing gown on and went to the window; pulling the curtains aside, I gasped; the sight would not look out of place in a fireworks display. Through the rain-lashed windows, I saw lightening forks flashing into the sea and on the cliffs on either side of the bay. The thunder was rolling around the cove almost continually and even in the dark, I could see waves crashing on the rocks, the white foam clearly visible even at this distance.

Seeing nature in its raw state like this reminded me of how small, insignificant and weak humanity was compared to the forces of nature. I certainly would not want to be at sea, lashed to a mast in the middle of something like this, just for the sake of my art.

After about twenty minutes, the storm began to move away up the coast and things seemed quieten down somewhat, although the wind still seemed rather strong.

I took off my dressing gown and climbed back into bed. I was wide awake now so I read a bit more Jane Austen. I was cringing rather at the antics of Mr Collins and his desperation of trying to land a wife from the decidedly dysfunctional Bennett household when I was interrupted by banging coming from downstairs. I ignored it for a minute or two, but then it got too much, so getting out of my warm bed again, I went downstairs. The noise was coming from the kitchen and when I opened the door, I saw, even without the light being on, that the kitchen window was open. I knew it had a dodgy catch and had made a mental note to ask Mr Pearson to try and fix it for me.

I shut the window and put a heavy saucepan up against it, hoping it would hold and then made my way back to the bedroom. I was tired again and knew that I would probably be able to get back to sleep fairly quickly.

Rubbing my eyes as I entered the bedroom, yawning, the thought of my nice warm bed was almost overpowering. Then mid yawn I heard it…

‘Meeoow–’

There on the bed was a cat–a black cat–a black cat with white patches on its face and paws. It was small, little more than a kitten, its white paws like little booties and he or she looked soooo sweet.

Pussy looked up at me and meowed again. It wasn’t scared, I could tell that as it lay on its back, paws in the air and started to purr loudly.

‘Well, little one, did you come in through that open window?’ I said rubbing its tummy.

I noticed it was wearing a collar so I looked at the disk. It said: ‘Tammy Silverton Penmarris 256923’

‘Miss Silverton–it must be one of her cats,’ I thought.

‘Okay, Tammy, you can stay the night because it’s too late to ring your mummy, but tomorrow, I’ll ring her, just in case she’s worried. Okay?’

I could swear she nodded, but it might have been my imagination. I went to the bathroom, grabbed a towel and dried off Tammy, she wasn’t too wet so I assumed that she had been under some sort of shelter during the worst of the storm.

I switched the light off and Tammy settled down. I went to sleep to the sound of purring coming from my new friend.



To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It sounds like a perfect end

It sounds like a perfect end to a lovely day!

I was surprised that Sam didn't try to take a few pictures or sketch some of the storm.

And it looks like she might end up with a furry companion to help her settle in. Every girl needs a cat or three. (looking at the one asleep in her lap)

Janice

Sue ... I just love the

reference to a famous footballer called Mark Hurst, ....It does Sound like Samantha has an interest in football, So who knows in the future... Their paths might just cross... After all they do have something in common!!

Kirri

Black and white kitty

That was a relief! when the banging noise in the kitchen started, I was worried that the father-in-law's henchmen were breaking in! But it turned out to be a much nicer visitor. I remember when my old cat used to get caught in the rain she would jump up on the kitchen stool and wait for me to dry her off with a towel - and she was a black and white kitty as well - they have always been my favourite.

Is Sam going to take Tammy back to Miss Silverton in person? - now that could be a very interesting meeting!

Pleione

Me Too, Pleione.

I thought sure we'd have some drama. Tammy was a so much nicer sort of surprise.

I love thunderstorms too. I miss our cabin on top of Garrish Mountain. Clouds
often blocked the view, but when they didn't...

Throughly enjoyable Sue.

Sarah

Scary moment!

Me too! I was thinking the worst, somebody was waiting in the bedroom.

But it's not that kind of story is it?

I should have known better Sue, sorry.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Storms

joannebarbarella's picture

When I was a kid in Hove (maybe 8 or 9 years old) and there was a gale we all used to rush down to the sea front to see the waves crash into the seawalls and send up a spray 20 or 30 feet high, seemed like it to us little kids anyway.

When the spray had crashed down we would run to the railing and watch the wave ebb, then wait for the next coamer to come in and run like hell just before it hit, shrieking with laughter as we tried to avoid getting drenched by the spray, and then repeating the exercise over and over.

I remember getting into terrible trouble at home one time because I had a brand-new dark blue raincoat and of course I got drenched and the seawater stained the coat something awful, leaving these white tide-marks all over it, which even dry-cleaning couldn't get out. Simple pleasures, eh?

You press all my buttons Sue, fish'n'chips, make-up, nice clothes and Mark Hurst too!
Joanne

Another intriguing episode.

Thanks Sue.

I love thunder storms when I can view from the safety of being indoors. Electric storms don't always involve rain. I've witnessed some spectacular one in the Pyrenees and on Minorca with no rain at all.

Jane Austen's world may appear to be genteel on the surface but, if nothing else, her social commentary reveals a world just as, if not more, materialistic as our own. The scramble of Mrs Bennet to get her daughters married off to money (even Mr Collins) shows that. The tragedy of Miss Bates living in genteel poverty ('Emma') was a fate lying in wait for any who failed to achieve at least an adequate marriage.

Now we all need (want?) to know (though I'm sure Sue won't say) if her two stories' paths will cross after her beach football comment.

Geoff

Sue, loves changes

but how long are we going wait for the next chapter of football girl?

Maybe Samantha

Is a 'cat' person. oOne who cats are attreacted to.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Furry Visitor

terrynaut's picture

I'm rather pleased. I didn't think the storm brought any unwanted visitors. I waited patiently and was pleasantly surprised by what actually happened.

I like the implications of Jo not calling Samantha like she said she would. Maybe Jo will call in the morning and dish out a few juicy details.

I hope we get to see Samantha drawing some more and actually starting a painting. I'm anxious to see what her first scene will be.

Thanks once again and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Thunderstorms

Sue,

I like the finish to her day with Jo. Experiencing the raw energy of a thunderstorm always puts me awe of the power nature can generate and throw at us.

I hope Samantha is a cat person. Cats usually 'choose' the people they want to be with. It has happened to me twice. Even taking Tammy home, the cat will likely show up on her doorstep again.

Thanks for the tie in with Football Girl. When are we going to be blessed with another installement? (hint...hint.) Both are lovely stories, which I enjoy.

Thanks for sharing you imagination with us.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

I do like that quality in a cat

... when I finally get one I think going to a shelter will find me looking for some hopeful and loving face waiting for me and go out of their way to show their interest. I hate shelters, it is like looking at death row and you know you are here to only take one.

Kim

The only problem

Will be picking just one. I used to do volunteer work at a local Humane Society on weekends. Another girl and I would tend to the cat room, cleaning litter boxes, socializing with the various residents and showing them to potential host families. Some of the cats learned very quickly that their best chance to get OUT! was to attract attention in some form or fashion. I won't go into the details of what the various tricks were, but just trust me on this, they will do something to gain notice. Even the most aloof cat we had, who always ignored the visitors, would always come to the front of his cage and stand in full profile while ignoring you.

So good luck to you. You sure you wouldn't like two cats, instead? ;-)

Great chapter, Sue. Looking forward to hearing more about Samantha's new owner.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

That's fine

... but then how do you know if the cat just takes a liking to you or they are just desperate to use you as a get out of jail free card ?

Kim

I love lightning and thunder and bright flashes...

Ole Ulfson's picture

across the sky, especially when I'm all warm and dry and have something soft to cuddle. It sounds like the perfect end to the day.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!