POV 4

Printer-friendly version

POV 4

by Michelle Wilder
 
We see, and we see clearly. But only from one point of view...

 

----

"Trent Winters, President of Gamma House.

"Sydney Halliday. Yes. It was a legitimate challenge. He had to wear a dress, enter the costume contest, and convince the majority of attendees that he was a girl for the whole evening.

"No, look... it wasn't supposed to be easy, but he wasn't *intended* to fail, or for it to be impossible, and he did pass and he's in, Delta Kappa, anyway... so you have no justification for-

"Okay. So... alright. That night? Look, all I can say is what I saw, not all the stuff I've heard about from people who have *no* idea what happened....

"Then.... Alright. Okay.... The first I saw him that night was when they were already in... they were in the middle of the foyer area, where the tables started... yeah. Well, I didn't know it was him, then, not until that girl, Chelsea Bonner, said he was.

"Nope, no idea. I expected him to forfeit, not even show up.

"Look, I knew he was a twinky...

"No, we did *not* choose that because I- we thought he was queer or anything....

"Sorry. No, look. Is this about that night or what?

"Chelsea Bonner, yes. *Mizz* Bonner did all the talking for them, yes.

"No, I don't think he even said a word.

"There are fifteen on the rush committee, all the Greek presidents or their reps, and three Council, the chair, and there are two...

"Nine of us were there. All the houses.

"We're... our task was to judge the efforts of the pledges against the assigned challenges, and...

"A majority is necessary to override any decision of the particular house.

"Yes, but then the pledge would have to complete another challenge to the satisfaction of the whole committee....

"No, *I* approved his...

"Yes, he passed that night, my decision.

"Nope. I had no idea until then, until Bonner introduced him. Hell, I didn't know he was a *he* until she did. None of us did, from what...

"Look, I don't know what you heard, but there was.... There is *no* animosity between he and I, or about his decision, or Delta Kappa.

"Yes, he has. He decided to accept an offer to rush Delta Kappa and they... allowed his challenge that evening... as... sufficient.

"Yes, it's quite unusual, but the Council approved it, so I....

"I have no idea. I'm the president of one house, not the whole Greek council.

"Yes, I have in-house veto and could have failed him, but that's referred to Council... I didn't.

"I can't say. And because he has accepted Delta, it wouldn't be my place.

"I have nothing against Delta Kay. I already said: it was all legitimate procedure.

"*I* approved his challenge. Passed him. Not the committee. *I* did, and I don't care what you've *heard*.

"Of course there was discussion! Jesus, the f-f... he was an effin' *bride*! I mean, he was a *girl!* I... we- none of us even...

"Christ....

"I am not *upset* about, that, that he was a girl... that he... looked that way. That was the challenge, to look convincing, and he passed. I'm... I was unhappy that his two friends helped him, that it wasn't his personal effort...

"No, there was no specific restriction about any help, and I took that into account. I *did* pass him.

"Look, I'll tell you what happened. You draw your own conclusions, but I'm not going to pretend to know what everyone else thought.

"Bonner introduced them, him, and I guess there was, well, there was a lot of excitement, that he was... looked like that, and I admit I was surprised and... I recognized him then, saw it was him for real, and he kept the whole stupid blushing bride act up the whole time....

"No, he never said a word, and now I think of it, I coulda insisted, that he'd failed, if his voice and all....

"No, I never heard him.

"Look. I passed him. He won best fucking costume, alright! Leave it at that, okay? He looked like a girl and it was a group effort thing and it wasn't outside the challenge because who'da thought anyone would go tell their friends they were gonna dress up and parade around like a sissy? And that they'd all be *in* on it? Or that he wouldn't just put on a plain, stupid *dress* and.... I mean, his fucking *hair* was curled! And that *wedding* dress... and *their* dresses.... And that music? Shit....

"No, I am not unreasonable! He played with the rules and.... I don't like that kind of lawyering, okay?

"Yes, it was all legitimate. That's all I have to say on the matter. Do you want to hear about the evening or what?

"I approved his challenge and they sat down.

"I dunno... with the cheerleaders, I think. Yeah, with them, and I think there were about three more costumes came in, but he was the last pledge and he was just seconds from being late....

"No, they were fussing with his hair and stuff. All of them were into it, his... you couldn't of told him apart, and half.... I bet even the cheer squad didn't know until he opened his mouth.

"Yeah, I saw him talking. So they knew. Still let him sit there, and talked and all, like he was one of 'em. He fit right in, but then he would, wouldn't he?

"Oh, come on! He dressed up like a *bride* and passed it off with pretty well *everyone* from the start and then guys were *dancing* with him when they didn't know and who *else* coulda pulled that off if he wasn't one of them, hunh? He was the fucking queen of the dance and every queer in the school zeroed in on him all night! Hell, half of them *outted* themselves with him, like Neil in Delta Kappa... that's why he was invited there, y'know? He totally *drooled* over the fag, from like the first time he found out he was a boy instead of a girl. And his Carl whatzizname... *Munroe*.... He's a Delt, too... and he was draped all over the fag all night....

"No, I'm sure most of the Delts aren't like that, but Neil and Munroe...

"I have *nothing* against a person's legal sexual orientation, and it's illegal and against the school's and the Council's regulations to discriminate. I just don't have to be friends with them, okay, and that's *my* right, about the only one we have left...

"How would *I* know if there are any fucking homosexuals or transvestites in Gamma? But there are none I know of, for sure, but they can hide and pretend to be normal and there are over a hundred brothers from before I was elected, just on campus, and I had no say in their selection and inductions. So how would I know?

"Okay.

"What happened was princess-boy giggled with the girls and danced with every fag in the room and he was voted best costume and ffff.... Munroe *kissed* him on the fucking *stage!* And people actually applauded!

"I guess at the freak show.

"Nope. I was at the table. Judging wasn't my job.

"Well, after, when they were doing the wind-down, slower music and all? Well, I noticed his keepers, Bonner and that Kimberly girl? Well, they were out on the floor with their dates or someone, and I looked around and found Munroe *necking* with the faggot.

"Look. It was two *guys* kissing. And *not* a stage kiss, like you *might* be able to stretch into an act thing, part of the costume and all.... They were kissing. Understand?

"It about made me throw up, I tell you. And there's *nothing* that anyone can *do* anymore! Like in the old days, they'd never've been allowed, like they woulda been *shown* what was allowed. It...

"That's not what I meant. I meant that things are changing, and lots of people are unhappy with that, the direction they're going.

"That's not what I said. I have nothing against them, their basic human rights. It has to do with what's proper public behavior, though. You want to see them kissing in public? Holding hands and that? I mean, the law says they can do their shit in private, but they don't have to parade around and flaunt it! I don't care if you can't even tell if one of them's....

"Of course there were other people kissing there, it was a fucking dance! But that's not what I'm talking about and you know it! They were two guys! And it doesn't *matter* if one of them looked like a girl, or that even if a majority of the people there were okay with him looking and acting and being like that, that night.... Did I tell you I heard was almost a *fight* at the costume award thing? That that Munroe faggot *hit* someone over an innocent comment about his little faggot's little costume? He almost got thrown out and probably woulda been charged, but *Neil* and about half of the fucking *committee* intervened on the faggot's behalf, on Munroe's.... It was like....

"It's just that nothing that's changed has been for the better, is what I mean.

"I don't give a shit if he cried like a girl. The guy pulled *his* fucking *veil* off, that's all.

"No, I have no idea what hair pins feel like, how would I? He wasn't bleeding and it was a fucking piece of cloth!

"How would I know if he was scared? He was in a crowd and about ninety percent of them were all touchy-feely on *his* fucking side and a *man* wouldn't have been *scared* would he? And there was shouting and stuff on the stage part anyway, about him being a fag and all, and he wasn't scared *then* and that's when Munroe kissed him, so it's *not* like he was hiding his girliness, is it?

"Hell, he *mighta* been really scared, he's such a girl....

"Are you kidding!? They took him to the little *girls'* fucking room! A bunch of 'em! And then, when he came out all pink and fresh and virgin fucking bride, Carl-fucking-Munroe takes his... like.... It was like he was his fucking *groom* and.... It was disgusting.

"I have no idea what happened after that. I saw them making out and I made sure they weren't breaking the damn rules, and I left.

"No, I didn't find out until Tuesday, when Neil called."

----

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Michelle Wilder, This Is Getting Good

It sounds as if Perry Mason is doing the investigation, he is the best TV lawyer.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Perry Mason?

Perry Mason? Bah! All the bad guys *confessed*, or he never wouldda solved a case!
No... *Della Street* is on the hunt! ;-)

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, Stan.
Michelle

Links

Being from the UK, I might appreciate this story more than I do if I had some idea how this house system works. I don't think we've anything like that over here. Would someone care to provide a link or two?

So far, it's very good.

Penny

Domus ignarus... mea culpa

Thanks, Penny, and I have to confess that all *I* know about the Fraternity/Sorority system, I got from the popular media. My plot uses some basic gleanings from that, and the assumption that different campuses will have different rules and controls.
Beyond that, it's Greek to me.
Michelle

Fraternities and Sororities

This is an outsiders view as I wasn't at all interested when I was in college: Fraternities and Sororities are basically social clubs (originally designed to maintain the existing social order). In most instances the local chapter is chartered by the university that they attract members from. They most often use a combination of Greek letters for names and there is generally an overall council of fraternities and sororities referred to as the Greek council. At the beginning of the school year there is a "rush week" when they try to attract new members. Interested students attend open houses and parties and then pledge to the group they are interested in. If they are accepted there is an initiation period after that. In the past these initiations in some places got out of hand (hazing, humiliation, abuse, torture, deaths). There has been reform, but you still hear of abuses. Originally fraternities and sororities brought the "right" people together to socialize with other "right" people so that the rich and powerful could stay rich and powerful and their children could follow in their footsteps. My guess is that you have (or had) organizations designed to do the same thing in England (and elsewhere). There have been many movies made in the US that poke fun at the Greek system (Animal House and Revenge of the Nerds come to mind). It's not all bad. Heather O'Malley's College Girl/Sorority Boy series presents a very positive view of sorority life and its benefits to its members.

Sorority ... maternity?

Thanks, cbee
My mother was in a sorority, back in the dark ages, so my view of them isn't entirely obtuse... though I seem to have unconsciously avoided either of my parent's educational and career paths.
Not that any of the sororities back in my school days would've accepted me.
;-)
Michelle

They actually started in the UK and Europe

Puddintane's picture

vaguely related to "corporations," clubs, and other private societies organised to provide for the welfare and interests of student, sometimes including living space and household needs, as well as honour and debating societies available to students by invitation only. In the USA, and elsewhere, they tend to be called the "Greek" system, after their habit of choosing Greek mottos, often an "outer," public motto, and an "inner" secret motto whose words and meaning would be revealed in an initiation rite filled with more or less mumbo-jumbo and rigamarole suitable for impressing the hicks.

For quite a long time, they were at the centre of campus life for many, but are increasingly seen as irrelevant by the majority of students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities_and_sororities

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Supper Clubs

The frats had their beginnings as supper clubs, which I believe began at the Oxbridge long ago, and then jumped to the old, prestigious American universities. (Some of those clubs became "secret" organizations which took only the children of very rich and powerful. Some still exist, a recent president is a member of the most famous one as was one of his opponents. Their power and influence is debatable, depending on your paranoia or insight, but social contacts never hurt.)

Most of these clubs eventually bought buildings and began to provide housing for members, established chapters at other schools, and competed for the richest, most athletic and, to appease the parents, a few of the smartest students. (Some also provided 'study aides' to members too). It was a bit like a combination of the University supper clubs and the public school house system in Britain, but it was snobbishness entrenched for the most successful of these groups. And of course there were initiation rites, which became ways to get rid of the tenacious but unwanted "pledges". The remnants of that, or the way around the restrictions, is whats we're seeing in the story.

Even though the chapters took only students from a single University (or College), for a long time they claimed independence from the schools and escaped supervision (though the got to use the schools facilities.) That has pretty much ended and most Universities have managed to bring them a bit closer to scholarly places, or at least they try. But the whole Greek system is a lot less influential most places than it once was.

But there are jerks like Trent everywhere, aren't there? And small people with great power in little areas too? I'm very impressed with the way this story gets into the head of very different people, over and over. Wow, Michelle!

Hugs, Jan

Really Nice Job

Sorry, I got so wrapped up in explaining the "Greek" system that I forgot to comment on your story. Really nice job of portraying a homophobe thinking he's being politically correct.

How many more POV's are there? Do we get the "news" article that results from these POV's (which I assume would be something entirely different from any of the POV's)?

brilliant, michelle

amyzing's picture

... but i'd forgotten how much i *hated* trent winter.

that said, hearing his hostile, aggravated, and arrogant voice adds immeasurably to the impact of the piece as a whole. it's like it builds up, layer by layer, and the layers aren't simply additive, clarifying, but sometimes obscure a part of the picture that i previously thought perfectly plain and clear.

i really, really, really love this series. it's kind of weird, because i think i really *hate* about eighty percent of what *happens* (which is only a single night, plus the psychological histories implied for afterward), and trent's isn't the only voice that makes me grind my teeth (but he's the only one who makes me do so every other paragraph).

brava. that's not just for *thinking* of writing this, but it's for that ... i don't know of another example. anyone? it's also for the execution, though. really, really well done; a grand case of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts."

amy!