Country Girl

Printer-friendly version

Living in a rural area has it's good points as well as it's bad ones. The good points are the peace and quiet and the slower pace. The bad points are that in a small community everyone knows your business. I found myself sitting there in Ms. Winslow's English class thinking about the ways my life had changed over the Summer months. She had given us an assignment to write an essay entitled "What I Did Over My Summer Vacation" As I sat there, my mind went back to that Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.....
 
 
Our farm lies in a valley fifteen miles south of the town of Medwick and it has been in our family for the last 175 years. I am the youngest of 3 children and I always felt out of place among my siblings. My brother Jack is 18 years old, 6'6 and weighs 240lbs while I am 15, 5'5 and weigh 130 lbs soaking wet. My sister, Sarah, is in the middle at 16 and happens to be my same height. Her figure is the envy of any girl, especially me. (Oh did I mention that? Silly me) To the world, I was known as Brian Michael. but in my heart and soul I was and am Bethany Michelle Rodgers. I have always known for as far back as I could remember. Being in a conservative area is not a great place to express your individuality. Reverend Josiah Pike is held in such high regard that to many in our community, he would be the right hand man to Jesus himself. Dad has always been a farmer and Mom a school teacher at the local elementary school. They are good people even if they are set in their ways a bit.

Anyway, I am rambling I guess. The day it happened, I was up in the barn loft digging through the hay to find my secret stash. I had a few dresses,skirts and tops that I had managed to filch from a bag going to Goodwill. I managed to get some bras and panties as well as a wig and a small makeup kit on my trip with Dad to the big cattle auction up in Abilene. I told him I needed some jeans and a couple new shirts so he didn't question it. I went to a store with a list that made it look like I was picking things up for my mom or my sister. Because of the distance between towns, most clerks didn't question why a boy or a man would be buying things for their wives or mothers. I bought all the items on my list without much trouble, but I digress.

I was standing there looking at my stash and I started stripping off all my clothes. I managed to get my bra and panties on and then proceeded with the dress. I was just about to start with my makeup when I heard Sarah moving toward the barn calling my name. I was startled and began to panic, I stepped backwards and lost my balance. As I fell over the edge of the loft, my mind flashed to the pitchfork that was in the bale of hay down below. It was like slow motion. As I fell, I caught the gleam of the tines as they impaled me in the groin. I heard a scream and then blacked out from the pain.

I woke up in a hospital bed with tubes and wires attached to me everywhere. I looked around and saw my mother asleep in a chair in the corner. She looked like she hadn't been home in days. She stirred when she heard me call for the nurse. Her face was filled with love and concern and I started to feel guilty for what I put her through. I began to cry and she rushed to my side and wrapped her arms around me and whispered reassurance to me. She told me that everyone was concerned about me. When Sarah saw me fall, she screamed and ran over to me. She was able to apply pressure to my groin and control the bleeding. She had her cellphone with her and called up to the house. Mom jumped in the truck and raced down to the barn. She saw me dressed and went to find my regular clothes in the loft. She and Sarah managed to change me out of my top and bra and put on a skirt. They knew that my jeans would not be a good idea because of my wound. The Stat Flight helicopter landed in a field next to the barn and the EMT's worked to assess the damage. Mom explained that I was wearing a skirt because they didn't think pants would work. They accepted it and then loaded me up in the helicopter.

Dad, Sarah and Jack arrived a couple hours later and were happy to see I was awake. I got a hug from Sarah and Dad, but Jack was a little standoffish and he looked confused and angry. I knew that he knew my secret and I started to cry again. A doctor came in and started to explain what they had to do to save my life. He told me I was lucky that my sister was there when it happened. He told me that my balls had been destroyed as well my penis being ripped open by the tines. He told me I would never function as a male again. He explained that after consulting with my parents and finding out about how I was dressed, they came to the only conclusion they could and authorized surgery. I began to smile and asked the doctor if he had done what I think he had done and he said yes. I decided to come clean with my family and told them how I really felt. Mom and Sarah shocked me when they told me they had known for years. Sarah had even brought my diary in for me and they found out that I had always wanted to be Bethany Michelle. They knew that if anyone asked why I was now a girl that the accident would be the reason for the gender reassignment.

I was in the hospital for two weeks and began my daily routine of dilating my new plumbing. The doctor started me on HRT but I wear breastforms for the time being. I am seeing a therapist every week and Mom and Sarah are teaching me everything I need to know to be a successful young woman. There are a few bigots we have had to deal with but for the most part people just accept that I had to become a girl because of the accident. Reverend Pike was driven out of town after he was caught having sex with the choir director. The last I heard, they were both living in San Francisco as one of the newest members of the Gay community. All those years he stood up there condemning people like us and he never saw fit to remove the plank from his own eye as the good book says. My dad is doing better than I thought with having another daughter and Jack has even started to come around. As for me, I am happy to be a country girl at last!

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jengirl, I Must Say

That I found your story to be quite enjoyable to read. I hope that you enter the Halloween and Christmas contests as well.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Short and Sweet...

I like it although I did wince when I read about the pitchfork!

Hugs!

Jenna

Well they do say

every cloud has a silver lining and perhaps that was'nt the way Bethany would have choose to achieve her wish, But sometimes the means can justify the end ...However painful!!!

Kirri

Once Upon a Tine

laika's picture

A nice quick little story, tells the whole tale in about the length and pretty close to the style of an actual "What I did on my Summer Vacation" essay. I liked the bit about the hypocritical preacher. It happens...
~~~hugs, Laika

Lovely

Seem s Like some in the Heavens was watching over him wanted 2 give him his hearts desire.
Lovely ending 2 a sweet story.
Akiko Kato

Lucky it wasn't the harvester!

Could've been a lot worse!

I think that's the fastest SRS in the west I've heard of!

A nice quick story, and easy to read y'all!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Good story

Pamreed's picture

Sometimes His methods are not so unknowable!!!

Jengrl that has to be the shortest story about being transitioned I have every read!! But it covered it well!!
Of course there is the standard desire to know what happened to Bethany.

Hugs,
Pamela

Country Girl

Old story still needs a new chapter. Bethany thinks a freak has granted her wish. But living a granted wish holds much more. Acceptance,rejection and more to being a girl than Brian imagined.

What's her dream now Jengrl?

JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors