Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All (Part 15)

Printer-friendly version
Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All
Part 15

by:
Lilith Langtree


"Nobody's allowed to see him, and Mrs. Tanner isn't talking. She said that you deserved to hear it from her first." At seeing my reaction she gave me a touch more information. "I do know that he's in the CCU."

"The what?"

"Critical Care Unit."


 
Part 15

"Wakeupwakeupwakeupwakeupwakeupwakeup."

Someone really annoying was whispering a mantra in the vicinity of my butt. I cracked an eye and saw a mop of messy blonde hair covering the face of my best friend.

"Hey, message received."

Chloe jerked back and then squeezed the heck out of my hand. "You're awake?"

I tried to wipe the ever increasing amount of eye-crud away and was reminded that I didn't have full use of my right arm. Knowing Chloe, there was no way I would have the use of my only functional hand if I didn't distract her. "Can I have some water?"

"Oh, yeah… sure. Hold on."

Bleh. I need a washcloth.

"Here you go."

I recognized her insistence on holding the cup for me, and the swinging of the bendy straw around. Sipping only a mouthful, I let it go and relished the feel of cool water sliding down my throat.

"How do you feel?"

"Um… not good. What's wrong with me?"

Chloe grimaced. "Nobody knows but Sam and the doctors, and they're not talking. Family only, the doctors say." Her eyebrow quirked and her face went a little whimsical. "You should have seen Mrs. Tanner. I thought she was going to…"

I cut her off. "Mark! Is he okay?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Nobody's allowed to see him, and Mrs. Tanner isn't talking. She said that you deserved to hear it from her first." At seeing my reaction she gave me a touch more information. "I do know that he's in the CCU."

"The what?"

"Critical Care Unit."

The knot in my stomach came back in full force. "Oh god." I grabbed at Chloe's hand. "You have to get a hold of Susan for me. Please. I have to know what's happening."

"Susan?"

I tried shaking my head in frustration, but a stabbing pain shot through my head. "Mrs. Tanner. Susan Tanner."

Chloe nodded and fumbled for her bag. "She gave me her number in case you woke up. Hang on Cas. I'm on it."

She rushed out of the room. Making an assumption that cell phone use wasn't allowed in this part of the hospital, I let her go without argument. I didn't spend more than a minute alone in the room before a guy showed up, that looked vaguely familiar, in blue scrubs, with another guy in tow.

"Miss O'Connor, how are you feeling this afternoon?"

"Like crap. My face feels like it's going to explode." I winced. Even saying that hurt, not to mention the wincing hurt too. "Maybe it already exploded?"

"I've had them cut back on your pain medication. You were suffering hallucinations. I can try something different if you'd like?"

Closing my eye I tried to clear my thoughts. "Later. I have to be clear-headed right now. Mark, what about Mark."

"Mark Tanner?"

"Yes," I said through gritted teeth. "How is he doing?"

The dark haired guy that had been talking to me all along switched the position of the clipboard he was carrying. "I'm sorry to say that he's under another physician's care, and we are only able to release information to the patient's family."

"I'm," I snapped, which was a really bad idea. I closed my eye again and breathed. "I'm his girlfriend, his fiancé." Well, close enough.

He gave me a questioning eye. "And last night you were his wife." At my shocked looked he tried to change the subject. "Why don't we talk about you."

Why won't anyone tell me what the hell is going on? "I'll wait until I find out about Mark. So you might as well tell me now. His mother will be up here soon."

He spread his hands. "Well there you go. His mother will be here, and I'm sure we'll time it just right so you can be all informed by the time she gets here."

Is this guy serious? Okay, I give up. Looking over to the other guy standing by the door I asked, "Excuse me. Are you a nurse or a doctor?"

He straightened up from trying to look casual leaning against the wall. "I'm just a ward assistant ma'am."

"Cool, thanks for being the only person in existence to give me a straight answer. Would you mind handing me a phone please." I lifted up my cast and kind of waved it. "I'm kinda in a bind here."

"Miss. O'Connor," the original guy interrupted.

"You," I pointed with a hand half-covered in a cast. "Are fired. Go away."

He looked stupefied. "You can't fire me, I'm…"

"Being paid by me and my insurance company." I snapped off. "Thus you work for me, my temporary employee, ergo I can hire and fire you. Now -- go -- away."

Movement from the doorway distracted me. Chloe was standing there with her cell in one hand and a bug-eyed look on her face. She saw me and waved her phone, mouthing, 'On her way.'

"Chloe, did they bring in my purse?"

She nodded and went to a closet located underneath the television against the middle of the wall opposite me. The doctor looked rather constipated. I ignored him, but focused on the ward assistant. "Phone?"

He snapped to and nodded. Before I knew it I was the proud owner/renter? of a beige slimline deluxe, popular with most hospitals, and punching Sam's number from memory.

The doctor left without further comment and Chloe had retrieved my battered and torn purse. What the hell happened to me? More importantly, what happened to Mark? The connection only rang once and I, after assuring Sam's secretary I was alive, if not well, was connected to my lawyer.

"Casidhe, you're awake?"

"Hey Sam. What the 'hell' is going on?"

Normally that would elicit a chuckle or two from my legal overseer. "Hang on, I'm on my way. Give me about fifteen minutes and I'll be there, okay."

"Thanks, Sam."

Chloe waved my bag at me.

"My folio, is it in there?"

After a quick dive she pulled it out. "Great," I sighed.

The ward assistant was still standing beside the bed. I gave him a curious look. "Do you know what kind of doctor Mr. Information there was?"

After making arrangements for a friend of Gramps' to take over my care I hung up and watched Chloe shaking her head in amusement.

"What?"

She giggled. "You. Even as banged up as you are, Hurricane Casidhe still takes the world by storm."

I'd shrug, but there was no telling what kind of pain I would incur if I did. "I don't like people to lord their stupid rules over me, or try to play on the sick and infirm to get their way."

She leaned over me and gave me the briefest and lightest hugs. "I love you, girl. Don't you ever leave me."

The knot that was hovering in my stomach moved up into my throat. "I love you too."

"Get out of my way Sebastian or I'll go through you!"

I looked over to the open door and almost smiled. "Chloe, tell Sam it's okay to let Susan in. Hurry before she castrates him in the hallway."

She was to the door before I could finish and she snapped, "Hey! Knock it off. Cas wants to see both of you."

That's my girl!

Susan was a wreck. Her hair was messy and pulled back in a hurried ponytail, and she was dressed in a mismatched yoga outfit. Her eyes were puffy and red, not to mention her nose looked raw, probably from crappy hospital bargain tissues. However, any way you look at it, she was there when I needed her. I could give a crap about what she looked like.

Her face was hot as she held it up against mine in a light hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Casidhe, how are you feeling today, sweetie?"

It was kind of hard giving a reassuring smile with only half a face showing. "I'll survive. Susan, they won't tell me anything about Mark."

Her eyes tracked to Chloe, standing beside the bed. I lifted my right arm and kind of point to her. "Sorry, this is my best friend, Chloe."

A spark of recognition lit in Susan's face. "Right, sorry, I was a mess yesterday. I remember Aunt Chloe."

Sam was standing at the end of the bed, looking rather grim at the obviously distraught mother of my boyfriend.

"And I'm sure you've met Sam Sebastian…"

"Oh, we've met."

Sam gave her his best court room smile which wasn't really a smile at all. "Charmed."

Susan's hand had trailed to mine through the introductions. I took advantage of the moment and squeezed it softly. "Tell me what happened."

Regardless of his feelings toward anyone, Sam was always a gentleman. He moved to the side and pushed a seat up for Susan to sit by my side. She produced a smile in thanks and turned back to me.

"The police said that truck ran a red light and hit Mark's car, pushing both of you into oncoming traffic from the other direction."

I did my best not to interrupt her. I really didn't care about how it happened. I only wanted to find out about Mark.

"They took Mark out in Life Flight." Her face went pale at the thought of her son being so bad off that they had to bring in a helicopter to rush him to the hospital. I was in the same camp.

With a lick of her lips she pressed on. "The doctors told me he almost died on the operating table."

My baby… "He's going to be okay, right?"

"He lost a lot of blood Casidhe."

I hadn't realized how fast I was breathing. "They can put more in, right?" Looking at Sam, pleading with my eyes. I begged. "Right?!"

"Cas." Chloe leaned in and lay her hand on my shoulder. "You gotta chill." I was about to tell my best friend to screw off, but the words never made it to my lips. "You gotta get better so you can make sure you're there for Mark."

That seemed to put the brakes on my hysteria. She produced a tissue and wiped at my face.

"You're gonna get better, and then we'll all help Mark get better, right?"

"Right," I sobbed. "You're right, I'm sorry."

Susan squeezed my hand. "You've got nothing to be sorry about, sweetie. The doctors say that he's past the worst of it and he should recover."

After another sip of water, distributed by Chloe, I was coherent enough to continue. "Tell me about his injuries."

Susan nodded. "He has a broken hip, and they were able to save his left arm. That's what caused most of the problems. The worst was the head injury."

"That's what happened to your face, Casidhe," Sam offered.

"Wha…?"

Susan nodded at Sam, so he took over. "The truck hit you on your side of the car, pushing you into another car coming from the opposite direction, traveling much faster. The side airbags deployed, but not quick enough to save him slamming into you from the impact."

Seeing Susan's distress he held out a hand for her and tried to ease the rest out. "The back of Mark's head fractured your ocular cavity in three places and gave him a pretty nasty concussion."

I was frozen in place. Mark had a concussion because of me?

"You were very lucky. If you weren't asleep…"

"Lucky?"

"Bad choice of words, Casidhe. I'm sorry. If you weren't asleep, you would have been injured much worse."

"I want to see him," vomited from my mouth.

"That's… not a good idea right now, Casidhe," said Sam with far too much seriousness in his voice.

That just made it even worse for me. "Sam, I love him." Which I punctuated with several tear drops sliding from my face. "Please."

Want to know why I always have faith in my closest family friend?

He looked in my only eye, at the moment, and knew Mark meant the world to me. A firm resolve covered his face. He turned to Susan. "Mrs. Tanner, with your permission?"

Still clutching my hand she nodded. Sam looked back at me and stood with a lot more conviction than I had seen in a long time. "I'll make it happen." Pointing at me he added. "You relax and pull yourself together. They won't let you go anywhere the state that you are in."

He was off in a flash and I had a second wind. Chloe wiped at my face and gave me another shot of water.

"Thanks."

She smiled at me, shaking her head again.

"Susan, Chloe has my folio. It has a list of all the best doctors in the area and personal friends of my grandpa. If nothing else, call them in for a consult. I'll pay for it. I want Mark to have the best."

Chloe reached the folio over and added, "Just mention Connor O'Connor and that Casidhe wants them to come in."

She took it, looking on with mild confusion.

"We're family," I said with as much conviction as I could muster. "I take care of my family."


~O~

My injuries? My lower arm was separated at the elbow and my ulna broken. My right knee had some ligament damage but it was already repaired. I'll be immobile for a few days and then have to start physical therapy to make sure I have full range of motion. Some strength loss is most likely to occur.

The worst, of course was my left eye. I could probably pass as a double for a nice vampire flick considering there is virtually no white left in my eye. Once the bone heals and the swelling goes down, they'll be able to tell me if I can actually see out of it ever again. I found all of this out when the replacement doctor came to inspect their handiwork. The area was still too swollen for me to even open my eye, so I'm in the dark. Literally.

It does, however explain why whenever I talk, it hurts. That ole jaw bone is located way too close to where I got hit.

I wasn't able to be moved until the new doc gave his okay after checking out my knee. It wasn't even splinted, but was wrapped with enough bandages that I didn't have a chance to move it in the first place.

Susan begged off to go see Mark. Apparently she'd been moving back and forth between Mark and me for two days and, of course, I had Chloe call her during her marathon two hour nap at home. She was moving only by the grace of Starbucks and pure unadulterated determination.

Chloe's mom picked her up. It was a school night and she had homework. But Sam stuck around to enlighten me on things that apparently couldn't be said in mixed company.

"Your secret is still safe."

Frankly the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. "Oh."

"I'm the only one with the authority to know, so the doctors wouldn't have legally been able to tell Mrs. Tanner. But I did remind those in the know, just to be on the safe side."

"Thank you, Sam." He smiled up at me from the chair beside my bed. "I never tell you how much I appreciate everything you do for me."

Lifting my hand to his lips, he placed a little kiss on my fingers. "Yes, you do. I always get paid on time. That's thanks enough."

His joke didn't sink through me enough. "I love you, Sam."

He blinked a couple of times. I think I could count on two fingers how many moments in time I have seen him caught off guard. He always had and answer, a joke, a sharp remark set aside for any occasion, but at that moment he became a little more human to me.

So, of course, I had to take advantage of the situation while I had the chance. "You think I don't notice the things you do for me that aren't noted on the monthly statement? The times you drop whatever it is you are doing so you can rush to my side? I notice, Sam. I just never said anything because you seemed to like doing things undercover, out of the limelight, so to speak."

I pumped my hand a little. "Help me sit up."

He grabbed the little remote control that lifted the back of the bed upright and we waited in silence until it was finished. I didn’t let him sit back down. Instead I patted the bed, next to me, and when he was close enough I let him have it.

"Sam, you're my knight in shining armor. Whenever there's a battle to be fought, you're my champion. But you're also my family. So, if you don't have any plans and feel like spending the day with your pain in the butt pseudo-niece at any time, then you give me a call. I want to be a part of your life."

The look on his face was almost unreadable, but I knew Sam.

"You've got no excuse. You're single, and you aren't so busy with making millions of dollars that you can't take some time out and…"

"Fine," he said with a tad of humor in his voice. "Quit torturing me. I can't take all of this lovey-dovey talk."

It hurt to do so, but I leaned into him for a hug. He was extremely careful not to hurt me, but I hurt anyway. It was amazing how many muscles there are in the human body. Until they all radiate pain, you aren't really aware.

"I love you, Sam."

"I love you too, princess."


~O~

Michael stood at my door, being escorted by someone with a wheelchair. From the look of the metal leg brace attached on the right side, it was for me.

When Sam helped me pivot to the side of my bed I saw myself in a mirror against the wall. It was a shock to see half my face covered by white bandages and the over half with little scrapes and bruises. My hair, what little I could see, was a mess. I tried to keep it together and ran my fingers through the tangles then gave up. I was just in a car accident. I wasn't going to a party.

"You up for this, little lady?"

Michael was still taller than me, even with the added height of the bed. I held out my arms, cast included. He came up and gave me a hug.

"I'm so sorry, Michael."

He kissed my cheek. "Me too. Now let's get you down there so we can get our boy woken up. I just know he's waiting to hear your voice."

Getting into the chair was a lesson in aches and pains, and exactly how much I could take. I bit through most of it because I didn't want to give them a reason to make me get back in bed, but when I was finally able to sit down I let loose a whimper.

"Are you okay, Casidhe?" Sam said with a considerable amount of worry in his voice.

By the time I caught my breath I nodded a little. "Go ahead and plan on pain meds for when I get back."

"Let's get you back up in bed. You don't need to do this right now."

I know the strain was showing on my face. "Then I would have just done this for nothing. I'm already in the chair."

His lips thinned in self-rebuke for not seeing through my plan in the first place. He just gave me a look of discontent. "Let's go then, Miss Smarty Pants."

I was wheeled around and down the hall to a bank of elevators, escorted by Sam, Michael, and the wheelchair was being pushed by a ward assistant, I guess. I couldn't imagine a nurse or doctor taking time out of their busy day catering to me.

While we were on the move I took the time to straighten out the blanket that I was provided so I wouldn't flash the staff or scare the patients. It was kind of screwy, getting used to dong things with my left hand. They secured my right in a sling so it was next to useless and only got in the way.

"They've moved Mark out of Critical Care," Michael announced. That brought my head slinging around. Ouch?

"What?"

Michael nodded. "He's been upgraded. The swelling in his brain has lessoned, and his vitals have normalized." He set his hand on my shoulder. "We just need him to wake up."

I covered his hand with mine. "I'll do my best."

He smiled at me and nodded. "I know you will, Casidhe. But don't take it too hard if he doesn't. He's right at the point where doctors say he should be coming out of it. It could be any time."

Michael started to pull away, but I gripped harder, not wanting to let him go, so he stayed in contact with me.

We were led to a smaller ward, somewhere in between critical and normal care, I didn't get the name and I really didn't give a crap. I just wanted to see Mark. There were a small amount of rooms and a more than normal amount of nurses hanging around. I kept my rude comments to myself about why they were standing around yapping when someone important to me needed their help. I guess there was only so much they could do. Standing over him, fussing wasn't going to make things better. That was my job.

Michael motioned to the assistant to stop the wheelchair and then he squatted beside me with my hand sandwiched between both of his.

"Are you sure you want to do this right now?" Before I got the chance to say yes, he held up a halting hand. "Mark's in bad shape. Nobody would think any less of you if you waited one more day…"

"Would you wait if it was Susan in there and you were in this chair?" I responded in one my most even toned voices.

His eyes glittered for a moment and he shook his head. "I suppose not."

That brought a smile to my face. "Get used to this, Michael. If you think I'm letting Mark go after all of this then you've got a lot to learn about me. I'm tying him down when he wakes up."

He nodded and then stood. "Give me a minute, okay?"

When he disappeared into the room Sam leaned in. "Tying him down?"

I gave him a curious look. "Can a girl give a guy an engagement ring?"

Cool, blank look number two in a single day. He recovered after a few seconds. "I don't think that's exactly how it's supposed to work."

"Will you give me away at the wedding, Sam?"

"Casidhe…"

"I'm serious, Sam." Now he had worried face. So I returned it with a serene smile. "He makes me happy and I love him."

His lips squinched together. "We'll talk about this later."

Sam waited out in the hall and I was escorted in the room. The sight of him lying in bed was two-fold. I was ecstatic to see him alive. That little pain went away in my heart to have it confirmed. However, I was torn to see him in so many bandages. His left arm was packed about twice its size. The only thing visible were the very tips of his fingers and they didn't look a very healthy color.

He wore a turban of sorts with a pillow of bandages on the back right of his skull. I guessed that was where we butted heads. Several tubes were still hooked up to him, leading to IV's and bags hanging to the side of the bed. The one thing that I was worried about seeing wasn't there: an intubation tube, that thing they stick down your throat to help you breathe. In its place was one of those transparent masks coving his mouth and nose.

Casey was sitting in a chair at the foot of the bed and Susan was holding his uninjured hand.

Hold it together, Casidhe. They need to see hope, not you bawling like a baby. I smiled, somewhat unconvincingly, from Susan's reaction.

"He's much better, Casidhe."

The assistant pushed me right up along side the bed and locked the wheels. "Just press the call button when you are ready to leave."

I nodded and vacantly said, "Thank you."

The bed was too freaking high. I couldn't get a good look at him, but I could touch his hand, pull it to my face, and feel his warmth. I breathed out and couldn't hold it back any longer. A single sob escaped from my throat followed by a river of tears.

I heard Michael in the background. "Casey, come on. Why don't we give Mom and Casidhe a few minutes."

I sniffed. "No, don't go. He needs all of us here."

A couple of tissues appeared for me, courtesy of Susan. I grabbed at them with my slung hand and dabbed as best I could without letting go of Mark's hand.

"Michael?"

"What do you need, Casidhe?"

I looked at him pleadingly. "Can you help me stand up?"

Everyone's got such a disapproving grimace on their face today. "Do you think that's such a good idea?"

I didn't answer him, but I did tear my eyes away from Mark's face long enough to let him see the need in my own.

"I guess you do." He looked at the wheelchair for a second and then the bed. "Hold on to the safety bar and I'll turn you around a little"

Following directions to the letter I waited until I was facing diagonally to the bed and he lifted my injured leg to set it on the ground so that I could favor my good leg when I stood. His hands under my arms came next. I pushed off with my good foot to help him along and not be such a dead weight. It was kind of surprising how easy it was. Michael was obviously in good shape or I weighed virtually nothing.

Leaning in, I felt Michael bracing me so I wouldn't fall over, I gave Mark a kiss on his cheek. "I love you, Mark Tanner. You need to quit scaring me to death and wake up now."

Not getting any reaction wasn't surprising, but I still had a Sleeping Beauty fantasy in the back of my head. So much for true love's kiss. My hand was shaking on the safety bar where I was placing almost all of my weight. I wouldn't be able to stand up for much longer.

"Okay," I admitted defeat and Michael eased me back down into the chair. Once I was situated I pulled him to me and kissed his cheek as well. "Thank you. I know I'm a pain in the butt."

He rolled his eyes at me and Susan saved him from commenting. "Why don't you and Casey go grab some drink, Michael."

He nodded and patted me on the shoulder before they left, and I didn't waste any time while they were gone.

"Once I get back on my feet again, I'll be there for anything you need, Susan."

She looked at me wistfully for a few moments. "I know you will. You proved that last night."

The frown I gave her tweaked at my left eye. Okay, stop doing that! Oww! "Pardon?" I squeezed out.

"Your doctor had to sedate you last night because you were screaming at him."

"What?" I was awake at some point?

She covered her mouth in amusement. "I think your exact words were something like, 'Get off me you fuck. Where's my husband?'"

The blood racing from my face was probably highly entertaining. "I… I…"

"Doesn't ring any bells?"

A tiny shake of my head was all I could give. "Nuh uh."

"It must have been some good stuff."

I closed my eye and palmed my face. "Oh god. What else did I say?"

Susan shrugged. "Nothing much. I had just got there and was watching over you for a while. The doctors were giving Mark a post-op examination." She set her hand against his cheek, brushing a thumb over as much area as she could cover. "You wanted to know how the babies were."

"Babies?" I was going to regret asking, but… "What babies?"

Her eyes sparkled at me. "Oh, yours and Mark's, of course."

Would the torture never end?

"Mikey was just starting school, and little Chloe was angry because she was losing her playmate, not to mention you were worried about breastfeeding baby Susan. You were quite insistant."

Susan was loving every minute of it.

"Go…"

We both jumped at that. Susan leaned in to Mark in an almost panicked state. "Mark? Mark? Are you awake, baby?"

I gripped his hand and squeezed with everything I had. "Mark?"

Susan pulled the air mask down and moved her ear closer to his lips?

I was about to pee myself in anticipation when I saw her smile, and laugh out loud.

"What?" I begged. "What'd he say?"

She replaced the mask and grabbed at the nurse call button, punching it a couple of times.

"Susan?" I whined.

She licked her lips and smiled at me. "He said, 'Good names.'"


~O~

"Awww, you named your imaginary first daughter after me?!"

"Don't let it go to your head. I was on about a gallon of morphine at the time."

Chloe broke up and slid around her chair a few times, giggling. I sighed and waited through the laugh track to ease up. It had taken her a few days to worm the information out of me as to why I always turned beet red whenever Susan came to visit.

"Tell me what's going on at school. What are the rumors this week?"

She bounced up in glee. "Oh, Jerry has it up on his site that you and Mark were attacked downtown by the Los Oveja street gang."

"Huh? Doesn't oveja mean sheep?"

Chloe shrugged her shoulders at me. "It explains his grade in Spanish class. But he did say that you kicked their butts quite well before being overcome only by sheer numbers."

That's when I couldn't keep the disbelief from my face. "Me? Not Mark?"

She nodded and leaned back. "Apparently you left quite the impression on our little troll."

We were interrupted by a white coat entering my room. "Well, Casidhe, ready to get out of this joint?"

I smiled. "Nothing against you, Doc, but if I ever see another hospital, it better be because I'm in labor."

Chloe snorted. I wonder why?

The Doctor grinned. "No offense taken. Now, how about we lose those bandages and fit you with this neat little shield."

Thank god!

He set a box down on the rollie-table that hovers above the bed and produced a blunt set of scissors. I leaned up, under my own strength and moved my legs to the side, so that he could get a better angle at me.

"Miss, would you mind getting the shades and the lights, I don't want to overwhelm Casidhe's eye just at first."

"Sure!" Chloe jumped up and killed the lights before winding the mini blinds closed. "That good?"

"Perfect, thank you," said the doctor as he was halfway unwinding the bandages surrounding my head. "Okay, almost there. Now I want you to keep your eye closed until I say so, Casidhe. I want to make sure everything is well on its way before we mess around."

"Okay," I muttered. I went ahead and closed the other eye so I wouldn't be tempted. After another minute I felt the cool air of the room touch my face for the first time in five days.

"Stay right there, Casidhe, I'm going to clean you up a little." I heard some movement and a drawer open and close. "This is just distilled water. I'm going to dab at your eye so you won't have trouble opening it up."

"'kay."

The skin around my eye was uber-sensitive, but the cool, wet gauze felt good.

"The stitches look very good. I don't think you'll see much scarring if any at all."

A breath I didn't know I was holding, released, and was replaced with a little grin.

"Alright, are you ready?"

"Uh huh."

"I'm holding my hand over your eye right now. When you open it up, if it hurts I want you to close it back and relax, okay?"

"Uh huh."

"Okay, go ahead."

As slow as I dared I cracked both eyes open. Expectedly, I could see out of the right, just fine. The left was dark, but it didn't hurt.

"Any pain?"

"No," I whispered. I don't know why.

"I'm going to remove my hand now."

The smell of the latex glove he was wearing was annoying my nose. A second later his hand was gone and I finally had depth perception, because I could see out of both eyes again.

Chloe squeezed my hand, which I don't remember taking.

"Cas?"

"Yeah?" A grin split my face. "I can see."


~O~

The Doctor arranged a real eye exam to make sure that everything was where it was supposed to be. With my kind of injury, detached retinas aren't uncommon. The minor fact that I could see without any fuzziness or fuzzy spot in my vision was a very good sign. The checkup was a preventative measure.

The weird thing was the funky mask I got to wear. The cracks around the orbit of my eye were still healing and would be for a little while. As long as I didn't bash my head against the wall or faceplant into random tables, I should be fine. Of course, my particular doctor had to be one of a group that was conducting a protective face mask trial for use with people that had facial injuries.

It was a molded mask that would fit over the majority of the left side of my face, with little absorption points where, if I were to be accidentally hit, would spread out the shock away from the original injury.

In short, I was the Phantomess of the Opera for another three to four weeks. The good thing? I had a nice little eye hole I could see out of.


~O~

Rolling around in a power chair is starting to suck rocks. If only my arm wasn't broken, I could use crutches. Susan and Michael offered to let me stay with them, but being the independent and stubborn soul I am, I chose to see how I could get by.

The question I know you are asking is, 'Casidhe, how are you getting up and down those stairs?' Was I right? Well, if you look to the right of the kitchen as you are exiting, you'll see a fairly wide door. Remember Gramps' problem with arthritis? The mini elevator is slow as sin, but it works, and it empties into the master bedroom, which I am considering moving into more and more each passing day.

My bedroom is all well and good for sleeping, and doing my make up, but there really isn't a whole lot of room to move around in a power chair.

With that idea in the back of my mind I made plans to finally go through and box up the master bedroom. Have you ever tried to unfold and tape a box with only one hand? I have so much more sympathy and respect for people with disabilities. I hereby promise never to curse the jerks that make sure the best parking spots are always taken up by handicapped spaces. They have enough to deal with without having to find a decent place to park.

I will tell you this. Using my Gramps' bathroom to take a shower is really weird. He was already set up with the safety bars all over the bathroom and also had one of those shower seats with an extendo showerhead hose so I didn't have to get my bandages wet with my sorry attempts to bathe. Forget trying to wash my hair. The good thing was that I didn't smell like a hospital anymore.

My first day wasn't even done yet before I was passed out in front of the television not watching anything.


~O~

"Cas?"

I blinked away my sleepy eyes when I saw Chloe hovering over me. "Hey."

"Cas, what are you doing down here in the dark?"

A quick look around and I realized it was night time and, yes, I was sitting in the dark.

"Musta fell asleep."

The face Chloe made let me know that she didn't believe a word I was saying. "Honey, you were staring straight ahead, at nothing." When I didn't respond she held out her hand for me. "Come on, lets get you upstairs and in bed."

I was getting much better about pivoting around everywhere. I could turn with the best of them, it was the whole going in a straight line thing that was a problem. I stood up a little and shifted into the chair. While I was navigating the living room, Chloe had the door to the elevator opened and was waiting for me.

"You want to come try out school tomorrow?"

I shook my head as I backed up into the small enclosure. "I can't go like this, Chloe. I'd feel like a freak."

If I weren't already hurt I'd swear Chloe would have smacked me. "Everyone's asking about you and Mark. They know what happened. Nobody would make fun, and if they did, I'd beat the crap out of them."

"No." Don't ask me why I was being short with her. I really don't know why, myself.

"Okay. Just thought I'd ask."

I sighed. "I'm sorry, Chloe. I…"

She leaned down and kissed me on the cheek. "You don't have to explain. You'll come when you're ready."

My eyes burned, signaling another round of tears soon on their way. "I really was asleep earlier."

Our conversation was cut off from the door opening. See, I told you the elevator was slow. Chloe tossed open the outer door and I made my way through Gramps' room into the hallway. I wiped at my face with my injured arm, trying to not let Chloe see.

While I made a stop at the bathroom, Chloe puttered around in the bedroom.

"Want me to bring you something to wear?"

"Thank you. Anything is fine."

I have a preponderance of babydolls. I think I bought out the local Victoria's Secret's supply. So, I already knew what she was going to bring me. A light knock on the door and a hand slipped through to set one on the counter.

"Thanks."

Luckily it was a small bathroom. I reached over and found the panties. My knee wasn't able to bend more than a few degrees without pain. You never really realize how much it sucks having to stick your leg out everywhere you go. But the doctor said I needed to work the stiffness out and should be up on my feet in a week or so with the use of a crutch or cane for balance. Apparently it was up to me and how much pain I was willing to take.

When I slipped the babydoll over my shoulders, I spun around and dropped into the chair again.

She was waiting for me when I got back into the room. It was looking like she wanted to help me into bed, but I held her off with a hand. "I got it." It was just a pivot move after all. I have those down.

Right when I bounced down onto the bed I cringed. "Dammit, I forgot my meds."

Chloe was halfway to the door already. "I saw them in the kitchen. I'll be right back."

My shoulders slumped, and I smiled at her retreating figure out the door. I think the luckiest day in my life was when I met Chloe. Friendship comes in many different guises, but what she had shown me over the last few months was well above what I'd ever experienced before.

It wasn't even a minute before I heard her pounding back up the stairs with a glass of water and two prescription bottles. She stopped when she entered the room, and stared at me. "What?"

I didn't care about her seeing the burning in my eyes anymore. Holding out my only good hand I called to her. She gave me a silly look and set the meds and water on the nightstand before me.

My arm wrapped around her back and I set my face to the side on her chest. "You're the bestest friend in the world. You know that, right?"

Chloe's hands wrapped around my head and through my hair. "What's wrong, Casidhe?" Concern bled through her voice.

I sniffled a little and tried to snuggle tighter. "I can't get it out of my head that I almost lost him, Chlo." Breathing out the rest of my kept breath, I shuttered. "We just found each other, and we just got through having the best day of my life. Then it was over, almost."

"Oh, sweetie."

My body shuttered at the thought, once more. "It just hit me, downstairs. I woke up and everything was dark. I was alone. It was the worst feeling."

Chloe tried pulling back, but I wouldn't let her go.

"I've been alone for so long, Chloe. Even when Gramps was here, it wasn't the same as when I could go to my mom, and she would make things better."

Her hand, petting my head in soothing motions, calmed me a little.

"And then you came into my life. I had a real friend."

"I'll always be your friend, Cas. You know that."

With a small nod I squeezed her a little harder. "And now Mark is there too." After swallowing to clear my throat I sighed. "Am I going nuts, Chlo? Am I rushing things too much?"

Her petting stopped. "Truth?"

"Yeah?" I whispered.

She didn't wait. "Probably… but you've always done things your own way, Cas. Hell, your sixteenth birthday is tomorrow. You've got time."

I nodded, letting her know that I knew.

"You aren't getting your operation until December, right?"

"Uh huh."

"And I seriously doubt you are going to wait much longer to take him to bed for some serious Casidhe lovin', right?"

A giggle jumped out of me. "Uh huh."

"Well, why don't you wait at least until then to make a decision about the rest of your life."

My grip eased on my best friend and she pulled back to take a look at my face.

"I don't want to lose him."

She looked at me wistfully. "He's got a broken hip. I think you can out run him pretty well, even being all cripple-girl."

My eyes rolled. "You know what I mean."

"I know," she confirmed as she turned to the end table and fetched my meds. After swallowing them down and returning the glass to the table, Chloe sat down beside me and took my hand. "Cas, I know you two love each other and everything. You're going to go through a rough time here in the near future. Mark's gonna need some serious physical therapy and if the after school specials are anything like real life then he's going to have an even rougher time."

My lips pursed together in trepidation.

"You need to get yourself well, physically and mentally. He's going to need you, and you can't do that holed up in this place. You need to get back to school, back into your routine, as much as you are able. He's gonna need the Casidhe we all know and love, bouncing around…"

She looked at me and shrugged. "Well, in your case hobbling around."

With a frown, I smacked her. "Bitch."

I got a grin in return. "Now, lay down. I'm gonna go change."

Puzzled face appeared from me. "You're staying here tonight?"

"See, that blow to the head made you stupid. Of course I'm staying. You're my best friend, I love you."

Photo Credit: Olga http://mgpg.wordpress.com/2006/09/25/olga-super-red/

up
274 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It does really help to have

It does really help to have a true friend with you in time of need and Chloe is just that kind of friend. Hopefully, Mark will get back to where he was prior to the accident and he and Casidhe can get on with their lives. Janice Lynn

Crying again

That says it all.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Seconded.

- Moni

Tissue Patrol

Now both of you have me all teary. I swear, writing these last two chapters, I have gone through an entire box of tissues. I battled for hours whether or not to have Mark die, but I just couldn't do it to Casidhe. She's suffered enough.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Stock options

You should have bought some Kimberly-Clark stock during the recent economic downturn. Thanks to you and a few other BC authors their sales are no doubt increasing.

And I am glad you decided to have some compassion for Casidhe, and indirectly on us, the readers. It is much appreciated.

I can testify first-hand to the effects of morphine on lucidity. Just after I started college I was riding in my best friends new MBG when we were broadsided by a full-sized Dodge on my side. I ended up with 11 ribs on my right side broken in 27 places, a punctured lung, a broken jaw and a torn right ear (the headlight of the Dodge hit the right side of my face.) I remember complaining to my mom about the brevity of the visits by friends and notables such as the church pastor. She pointed out that many of my visitors stayed more than an hour, but I didn't. A classic vase of the lights being on but nobody home. I didn't realize how much pain I was skipping until they took me off the morphine about Day 4.

Funny, the driver of the car I was riding in escaped major injury except for several broken right ribs also. His doctors were at a loss to explain what caused them, until they had a chance to compare notes with the doctors treating me. It was then discovered that a previously unexplained injury to my left arm and elbow matched up with the injuries to his right chest. Karma does repay!

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Donuts are cool!

Ditto with the morphine. I always say how people and situations in here are compilations of real life that I've seen or experienced. Well this one was all me. Messed up arm and knee. Morphine for five days. I was so completely loopy it was pathetic. People still laugh at all the stupid hallucinations I had in their presence.

"What do you mean you want to be a powdered donut, Lili?"

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Morphine

To get a handle on the absolute pain I experience every second I live now, I am on Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and Delaudid (a manmade refined morphine). I normally take 1 of ea of the Hydrocodone and Oxycodone daily. 2 - 5 times a month I have to use Delaudid to deal with a pain spiking that acts like an electrocution up my spine and body. It is so severe, that without at least that drug + a tens machine, I would do anything to end the pain, meaning end my ...

So, yeah, I do understand pain. In my case, however, I no longer experience delusions because I have taken it so often. It is required for me to live and be here.

If I was in accident like Casidhe had in the last chapter now, in real life, I probably would not survive it. My body is in too frail a condition to come out with any good chances for wanting to survive.

Lilith, I do have to compliment you on another well written chapter. This story is very fun, very moving and captivates me whilst I read it. =^.^=

ps. Where's your contest entry?

 

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf
TGLibrary.com

Thank you again for your

Thank you again for your kind thoughts Sephrena. Um... contest entry? *meep* I just haven't been inspired to write at all until I started writing this story again. I don't want to take the chance on losing my current run at the moment. At least until I get my confidence back. I feel contented enough producing this work. If I feel the itch to move on again, I'll participate in the next contest or the one after.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I thot I was going to be warming weiners in my oven ...

by November cus I had me operation in August. I have to say it was a good year before I would even want to contemplate it. Of course Cas is 16 and I was 60. I still don't have a bf and she does. So, maybe the um exercise will make her heal faster. :)

I am feeling so much better now, thank you. I wonder if her halucinations were somehow prophetic ... naw, that is too much suspension of disbelief ... still ... um giggle.

Good night Gracy.

Khadijah

Exercise? Dunno . . .

But incentive? Oh, yeah! ;-)


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Chloe or Chloem?

*giggle* I swear, Khadijah, you have a way with words that always takes me off guard.

On topic: I've heard and read things that go all over the spectrum about when to have sex after SRS. Some say it's a more fun way to perform dilation, while others say that it's a pain in the... (something) because you have to be so careful that you can't enjoy it. I guess its all up to what you can tolerate and enjoy.

I'm sure Chloe will be pulling for their first female child to be named after her... if they wind up being together in the end, that is. Though, on second thought, it would be more "Chloe" to insist that they name the male child after her as well. LOL.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

In my previous life, I was a Brit

I'm afraid it has come out now and no one can stifle it.

The British and the Sauudis are known for winding their mates up, wot!

Oh, I would just love it if you suspended reality enough for Cas to have babeeees! In one of my stories, "Desert Princess" the bad guy did a complete female organ transplant. Oh what the hell, reality gets so boring.

Love yer story, mean it! LOL

Khadijah

Casidhe/Jerry Green hook up

Even if the plot doesn't go that way, I wouldn't shy away from a very realistic chapter long dream or even an omake or two regarding Cas' future family. Maybe with different characters.

For example:
Casidhe/Jerry 'the troglagreen' Green - Where Casidhe shaves his back while rocking a bassinet with her foot.

You can see how demented and fun this idea could be.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Maybe Jerry turned human

after some Csaidhe tutoring experience but I just can't see that. Hook up with the other guy maybe but not Jerry. Of course you have some level of control over where the story is going so I guess the important thing is what you see. I like the shave his back thing. Getting an image of the Geico "Caveman" commercials in my imagination.

Seems like much of the old

Casidhe came back as soon as she woke up with. Few would have the (you choose the plural noun) to fire their doctor and the presence fo mind to ask her best friend to get her phone number list so she could call her lawyer and one or more of her doctor friends. Casidhe should end up running a large corporation some day. Too honest to go into politics. Enjoyed Mark's first words. Hmm... wondering if there is more than best friends to the way Chloe feels about Casidhe?

K-i-s-s-i-n-g

LOL, I can picture a fired-up Casidhe with a Donald Trump attitude. "You're fired."

Chloe&Casidhe sittin' in a tree? Hmm, Chloe has commented a number of times that she is 100% hetero, but she's probably repressing. Find out in the next chapter, first paragraph.

Was that a tease or what?!

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

PLEASE!!!!!

I'm still waiting for that next chapter! I loved this story back when I read it the first time! I hope you do finish it, please? Casidhe is one of my favorite characters, she is so fiery and independent like I want to be. Please let her live again?

Wren

Touching and humorous.

I like the way you dealt with this event. Balancing the emotions and immense stress of the situation with humor and caring. Having a best friend and caring family whether by blood or association is priceless.

Please continue to keep us entertained with Casidhe's delightful antics and warm interpersonal relations.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Even amidst all the

pain Caside was in, You could still see the caring sweet nature that we have all come to love.....So thank goodness Lili that you decided that Mark hopefully!!! will be around for Casidhe in the future.

I did wonder given the time Casidhe was unconcious whether or not Susan might have seen Casidhe's little secret...It seems not not, But in a big hospital you never just who might have caught a glimpse of something Casidhe would rather they did not see.

Hugs Kirri

Spilling the beans

Given how anal hospitals are, at least the ones that I've had the misfortune to be in, Susan would have never been given the chance to see. Unless it's for something benign like a vitals check, visitors are asked to step out of the room while doctors or nurses are present. So, the only way for her to realistically know is if someone told her, which in this law suit happy society is highly unlikely. That's why I chose to leave her ignorant.

That doesn't mean she she might not overhear something or make a connection in the future. But that's for later.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I was really worried that

I was really worried that Mark wouldn't make it! I lost a good friend in a similar accident where his wife survived as Cas did. Like everyone else commenting, I certainly did use a bunch of tissues! I also wonder about the Cas/Chloe connection.
About the sex thing after SRS... it's been over ten years and nothing alive (other than my finger!) has tried "it" out. However, my loving SO (female, of course!) does help with dilation once in awhile!

Diane

Don't forget "D"!

I wonder if she'll have found a "real" girlfriend by the time Cas goes back to school...

It would be nice if Cas and D could reestablish a (more platonic, obviously!) relationship, so that if Cas and Mark do eventually tie the knot, D can at the very least receive an invite, perhaps even be a bridesmaid.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Things

are moving quickly now. Once she gets an idea in her head look out. Nice work.

Lovely story

I've been playing catch up on this lovely tale, and thoroughly enjoying every chapter...

I find myself totally identifying with Cas and I must admit being a little jealous of her developing love for Mark..

And then that last chapter... OMG, I found myself saying it's got to be a bad dream or something, cause no one should have something as cruel as that happen.............

Powerful writing Lilith.... Thank you very much....

and I do hope Cas gets the happy ending she deserves...

x Jenny

I can't believe..

...that I missed this chapter when it came out! I had to be reminded. Such shame.

Took me longer to read this chapter too. So annoying to have to wipe tears away when I read. Yet such an enjoyable read it was.

Every chapter is a blessing Lilith. It's a stress reliever, an imaginary escape door for my mind, and (sometimes) a very enjoyable emotional roller-coaster. Thanks,


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick looking for someone who doesn't give a damn about her past"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

What a roller coaster ride...

Read all the parts of this story in one swoop. Then again.

Love your humour and way of writing. Wish I could achieve something like that myself, but whatever I write tend to be absolutely devoid of humour and way too wordy. I just spent ~2300 words on describing a house and garden in the backstory for a character of mine...

And I can't remember a time I cried while reading a story before. Gotten teary-eyed, perhaps a few times, but I was actually crying here. You torture Casidhe so! And not just her, either - I'm trying to imagine how Susan, Michael, Sam and Chloe would feel at this.

Amazingly good story so far!

Great yarn!

Wonderful story, Lilith!
Thank you, it's brought many a smile.
Michelle

Absolutely Great!

I love this. I know I said love and not loved because I really want more of this story. I read the chapters 1-12 last evening, then pulled my graveyard shift then read these as soon as I got suitably awake. The only story that has me hooked like this is "Bike". I really loved the interaction between the characters. Please don't let this be over!

Bailey Summers

EDIRODDIAA

I loved this story, does it end at #15 or are there more in the works?

Seems to me

It seems to me you really try to write a lot. I love that you got back to the Center but that is not the only story of yours that I like. I would really love to see this one pick back up. You are a very talented writer and I just spent the best of the weekend to this day catching up on my favorite stories that you have written. Would really and truly love to see everything start to pick up again before you add more but the idea of the side story for the Center is still a nice one.

Yours Truly

Arina

Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All (Part 15

I am wondering if that auto accident was planned by anybody who hates Cas?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Please, More!

I just finished rereading chapter 15 (again!), and I pray this isn't the end! I love these characters, and I can see that there is so much more to the story. Please, tell us more!

Wren

Does this mean

NoraAdrienne's picture

that the author might be re-opening the computer file on this story and adding more chapters?

Kudos!!!!

Lilith Langtree is a brilliant writer. No if's ands or buts!! I've been reading EVERYTHING she puts out here for the last few years and I am NEVER disappointed. Her character and story development is nothing short of phenomenal and that coupled with story pacing and the use of humor based dialog against drama makes her a simple JOY to read. I actually feel that she has created some masterworks on this site. That being said, I feel that this story is as good as it gets! I have now read This story three times and I CRAVE more. Please don't leave us in suspense much longer.

Great story

Renee_Heart2's picture

Lilith a great story hun. I just got done with it I feel for sas & Mark they have just been through a very traguic experence & Clohe is showing what a true friend is all about taking care of another friend when they are in need & right now cas needs her. I was in tears half way through this story. It was very powerful & moving. It was a great story I hope to see chapter 16 soon.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Chapt. 16 ??????

I am reading this story in FEB 2011 - a little more than a year after it was posted to site.

Is the authoress going more to this story, It's so well written, I'd really hate to know it was stopped & never continued by misfortune to the authoress.

I could see Chloe being a serrogate mother to one of the adoptee's. someone asked if that accident was set up, I think it was said the hit a truck, so doubt it.

well I had my say. Thanks for such enjoyable reading.

HUGGS

Chapter 16

Renee_Heart2's picture

I have been contact with the autor of this story & she says she would love to get back to this story but has others she is working on at the time. Please do write to her & tell her you want more of this story.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Either do it right

I know you have been writing other stories which I am following, but any chance of final part, or other parts of either do it right?

Samantha

finishing!

It either will or won't happen, but would be a shame to leave so much on the table with so many unfinished stories. You write to so high a level that we, the readers crave contact with your characters, please, please finish this and other wonderful stories you write.

Sincerely Draflow

Please Continue

Hi. I started reading this series at Storysite before it went belly up. It took me quite a while to find them again. Because I had went such a long time without reading these chapters I started reading them over from the beginning. I read at least one chapter a day to catch up. My hat is off to you, Lilith Langtree, for creating such wonderful characters and writing these stories in such a way as to draw the reader in. I was definitely hooked from the first chapter all the way through chapter 15. As I stated in the Subject line "Please Continue". I would truly love to find out how "Either Do it Right, or Don't Do it at All" is going to end. Thanks for all you have done.
Kathie.

OMG this was a tear jerker i

OMG this was a tear jerker i loved it i cant wait for the rest :)

Oh wow!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Nice one.
Very interesting character.

wish there was more.

Maybe a burst of pixie dust will help.
..::: ::::
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

Great Story

Thanks Lilith
I just loved the dynamics of all the relationships in this story.
I guess it is finished for you but I am sure lots of people would like to see more.

Alexinu

Read this on Beverlies site.

Read this on Beverlies site..Fantastic..Love the humour and the way you bring realism and vitality
to you carictures.
Was hoping for more but, a very satisfying read!

alissa

Great story

If I remember ride you said you were only going to post finished work. If so please finish this and post more. We do so miss your stuff. Thanks

Love this story

Casidhe's self confidence and attitude, Chloe's loyality and support....

I've read it several time's. Even made an epub to put it on my tablet as an ebook.

Sure wish there was more.

I was bored and went digging, then i found this old gem:)

Sometimes a story just pulls you in, the characters become like old friends and you never want it to end. To me this is one of those stories and i'm sure i will read it again at some point.

Wonderful story telling! There are so many good TG stories out there but this (in my mind) ranks up by the best of them.
It's not really 100% complete but it ends at a good and reasonable spot. Definitely very very much worth reading!

Teen confusion, independence, friendship, lots of romance, rejection, loss, love and the main character is just awesome!

paintversion.jpg

This chapter

Angharad's picture

is the best written of them all and then you abandon it, okay I don't know what is going on in real life but I hope one day you come back to it and put us all out of our misery. Thank you for the trip so far.

Angharad

I Wish There's a Sequel!

I know it's been over 13 years since you authored this masterpiece. I do wish that you would write a sequel. As so many have written, this is so good! Thank you for writing it.

Happy New Year.