Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 795.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 795
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

We stopped about a quarter of a mile from the house, pulled into a field and parked discreetly behind a hedge. The various teams then broke up and after a quick briefing, set off at a trot to take up their positions. In case the enemy had radio scanners, a number of preset signals had been agreed beforehand.

The surveillance team came and reported to the superintendent. “There is no sign of life at all, except possibly a dog around the back of the house.”

“Is there a dog?” asked the Superintendent.

“Yes, a cocker spaniel, she’s very good, if you want I’ll go in with your men to collect her.”

“I told you to stay here, we’ll bring the dog out to you.” He fixed me with a stare that would melt iron and I squirmed in my seat. I had after all asked him for help. His mobile rang and he snapped an answer, “That’s no bloody good, I need chapter and verse.” He clicked his phone off, “Bloody spooks.”

His phone rang again, “Okay, hit it both sides at once, watch out for booby traps and collateral damage.”

“You think they’ve either been killed or moved, don’t you?” I asked feeling very small and afraid.

“I’m only thinking what we need to do, I don’t know what has happened any more than I know what will happen. Now if you’ll let me get on with my job.”

The Range Rover screamed out of the field and I knew the armed response unit was going in first. I felt the tears start and tried not to show my weakness. I failed because he passed me some tissues. “Look, I didn’t mean to shout at you.”

I sat nodding at him like one of those dog things you put in the back of your car. “Sorry,” I sniffed, inwardly cursing my weakness.

“It’s okay, it must be a very worrying time for you.”

I nodded again, “Yes, if they’ve harmed any of them, I’ll kill them all.”

“Hey, that’s fighting talk and not wise to say in front of a police officer.” His phone bleeped and he answered it, “They’re in, so far so good.”

I sat wringing my hands as I listened to his step by step narrative, tears pouring down my face and my heart racing. I felt very sick and once had to get up to puke. This was so hard.

“It’s clear, there’s no one there.”

“Where are they then?” I cried feeling a mixture of relief and anguish, I hoped that they’d managed to get away somehow, but I had my doubts.

“I don’t know, we’ll go and take a look as soon as it’s been checked for safety.” The minutes dragged by and it seemed like hours before we received a call and the van started up and drove to the house.

“Is there anything that looks different?” they kept asking as I looked around the house. There wasn’t. The Mondeo was missing, otherwise there was no one around. A locksmith was summoned to fix the broken doors and secure the house.

The phone was still dead, but at least I could call Henry on a mobile – he was in a meeting. Sadly, they wouldn’t tell me with whom, nor would they tell the superintendent. I was furious.

“So we don’t know if they have the family and Simon?” I said feeling as helpless as a baby.

“Not yet, but we will.”

“How can you be sure?” I asked

“They’ll call with their ransom demand.”

“That might be difficult, they cut the phones.”

“Won’t take long to fix.” He was called outside the house and I sat in my kitchen feeling so alone. My amusement over the next hour was watching the locksmith as he fixed both doors. He was very good and he handed me the replacement keys and left.

The phone tinkled and I picked it up, there was no one there but at least I had a dialling tone. I knew the police would have an intercept on it, but so would the Russians.

“I’m arranging for two officers to stay with you, including a liaison officer,” said the superintendent. He introduced a man and a woman police officer to me.

“I’ll be okay on my own,” I said, just wanting to be alone with my grief. Even if the loss was temporary, it was still a loss.

The phone rang and he nodded for me to pick it up, I did with trembling hand. “Hello?” I said in a wavering voice.

“Hello, Cathy.” It was Henry.

“Henry, is Simon with you?”

“No, they’ve got him.”

“Oh no,” I screamed and nearly dropped the phone, my nightmare was still happening.

“I was in talks with the security services, I might have to give them the bank, what’s money compared to flesh and blood.” I couldn’t speak, I was so consumed with grief and shock. “You’re all alright?” I couldn’t answer him and handed it to the superintendent who took it and introduced himself. He brought Henry up to date and the realisation that the Russians could have both his children and his natural and adopted grandchildren.

I knew what he was feeling, a pit of emptiness that was consuming my whole body. We had no bargaining position, they had all the aces and had to hope they would honour any agreement we made, at the same time we knew they could do anything they damn well pleased.

I wanted to feel angry, to mobilise myself to go and look for my missing children and lover. I wanted to find the energy to get up and go seeking vengeance, killing as many of them as I could. All I could actually feel was a nothingness; my body was numb and my brain refused to engage and do something useful. I felt like I wanted to die to ease my pain, it seemed unbearable at the moment.

My mind was drifting, I picked up some of the girl’s toys and held them to me. I might never see them again. I felt so sad but my eyes refused to weep, they were dry and red. Some stranger was brought to me, he said he was a doctor. He gave me some pills to help me sleep and then an injection. I was left to lie on the couch in the lounge and did sleep.

It was dark when I woke, the clock was striking three. I had no idea how long I’d been asleep or even what day it was, but my throat was dry and I needed a drink. I staggered into the kitchen and one of the two coppers came to see I was alright. He offered to make me a cuppa, so I let him, flopping down in the chair.

“Any news? “ I croaked while we waited for the kettle to boil.

“Not as far as I know,” he continued making the tea and produced a reasonable mug which I sipped while it was too hot and burned my tongue.

“Could they have got away?” I mused out loud.

“Dunno,” he replied, “If they did, why haven’t they contacted the police?”

“Dunno,” I said, feeling tears start again.

He reached across the table and held my hand, “Hey, we’ll find them, okay.”

“Promise?” I asked back.

“Promise,” he smiled back, “for a pretty girl like you, a double promise.” He smiled again and I burst into tears sobbing uncontrollably for several minutes.

“I should have stayed, I should have been with them.”

“You escaped to try and help them, if you’d stayed what could you have done?”

“At least been with them, comforting my children. I failed them.”

“You did what you thought was best.”

“It wasn’t though, was it? I should have stayed.”

“No, you can help us.”

“How can I help you, I can’t even help my children. I failed them.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Since I just don't believe

Angharad is hard hearted enough to kill so many, I have to think that they will be found. Now, on that note, I can't help but wonder when one of the girls will call from a cell phone or something to give cathy a clue on where they are. Hoping we'll see some more of Cathy, SuperWoman but more than anything else, hoping she can get her life and family back in order.

if i remember

correctly did'nt Meems get given a cell phone sometime back Lets hope if the Russians have kidnapped them ,They forgot to search her properly!....Here's hoping for better news in the next part.

Kirri

No trace!

Could Tom and the kids have escaped to the university? The Mondeo had the child seats. It seem the Russians have all the cards. But did they figure in Cathy?
May God have mercy on the Russians.

There has to be a clue somewhere? I know wait to the next episode. Darn!

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Cliffhanger Queen does it again!

Aaarrrggghhh!!!!

You like torturing us with 24hrs worth of suspense, don't you? :)

If only Kiki could speak English... where's Dr. Doolittle when you need him?!

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Tom, Stella,

And the children could have gone to Cathy's home in Bristol, or to the house that Des left to Cathy. They may even be on the way to the castle, or even to Stella's old place. Or they might even be visiting that lady vicar that Cathy knows. She can provide sanctuary that I doubt the goons will want to breach. o, when Cathy learns that they're alright, and where Simon is, she will find her bike and bow awaiting her to save the day.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The question we should be asking

Is what will the "baddies" offer, for someone to come and take all these lunies off their hands? I mean, without gagging Stella. Wait. This can't be good for Stella's piece of mind... DO we hear "flashbacks" even after they're all rescued... And Cathy gets to take care of "Puddin"... :-(

Then, there's Simon... He may ... Well, okay, Maybe Meems is the one to depend on. A few of her high pitched screams and they'll be begging Henry and Cathy to take her back!

Annette

Didn't Tom have a root cellar?

I just can't believe that they could come and get everyone without a fight.

The Plodders need to let her have some weapons and get out of the way.

Khadijah

Angharad's cliff hangers are

Angharad's cliff hangers are tearing me up. Just as it gets really good and interesting, she drops one on us. Oh well, kinda like the old Saturday movie matinees where they had "serials" that you just had to come back for the following Saturday to see how the hero(s) got out of the trap or whatever they got hung up in. Jan

Henry

If he wasn't convinced before he may be after this. The Russians, if that who it is, have just declared war. I wonder if they can afford it.

Empty house

They've got Puddin on a spit with an apple in her mouth, the other three hanging by their heels. Tom on a rack, and Stella tied to four horses. THERE ! Ang you can't do anything worse to the family than this.
Do your damnedess, we're tough.

Cefin