Sk8r Grrls Ch 01 a : Character Profile - Mary Holmes

Printer-friendly version


Everything you ever wanted to know about Mary, but didn't think to ask...
Sk8r Grrls
Character Profiles
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
 
Mary Holmes
(Art by Heather Rose Brown)


Mary Holmes, the taller of the two blondes, and the second tallest Sk8r Grrl, is one of my favourites to write.

Some basic facts about her:

  • Her family is pretty much loaded. Upper Middle Class at the least, more likely Lower Upper or Middle Upper.
  • She takes ballet classes.
  • She doesn't want her friends to know that she enjoys the ballet IMMENSELY.
  • Thin, but not scary-skinny, strong and lithe build.
  • Has a punky-gothy "look" most of the time.
  • Is the best on a board of any of the Sk8r Grrls.

Now, Heather Rose Brown and I discussed the look of all the characters, and I was ecstatic with her take on Mary! Here are the sketches that she gave me of Miss Holmes as the conversations progressed:

First Rough Sketch:

Sk8r Mary First

Here, she's stretching before hitting the ramps in the Skate Park. Her right arm is pulling right leg in a stretch, very girly and ballet-ish, so to compensate she's glaring at whoever it is looking at her. Using the fence to balance, her things in a pile at her feet. That's a rough pose for anyone, but... in combat boots? She just oozes awesome. I know, right?

Second Iteration Sketch:

Sk8r Mary Clothing

Some clothing shading detail was added here to come more in line with the character's personal style, her hair and face defined a lot better and you can just FEEL the malice in that glare now! Notice the little skull on the choker?

Third Iteration Sketch:

Sk8r Mary Details

Details, details, details! The fence wire filled in with enough detailing to provide a backdrop, the board and backpack shown better, the overall defining lines cleaned up, and the cargo pants made camouflage.

Final Sketch:

Sk8r Mary Final

Final revision, with more board details added, and notice the little white pupils in the "eyes" of the skull crash helmet.


So this is just a basic profile on Mary Holmes, more to come on her and both basic and more coming for the other Sk8r Grrls!

up
49 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos