Down to Earth - Part 7

Printer-friendly version
Restoration
By Andrea Lena DiMaggio

Thus far: Three women, centuries old and practitioners of Draihoidel, the old arts, have come along side a girl in desperate need of understanding and encouragement. Each has taken the form of a mortal who will influence three mortals close to the girl. The fourth member of the group, the girl’s brother, and a practitioner of the old arts for only a few days, has made the choice to identify with his sister; the boy who would be a girl, by becoming a transgender teen, of sorts. The days have dwindled down to a precious few for the girls' mother, and they are joined by the Women for a sad but wonderous farewell.

The girls sat together on the couch, flanked by Breena and Janey. The four were joined in their sorrow by Calleigh, who had once again assumed the form of Esther, Janey’s Jamaican nurse. Every day seemed to cast a pall on the wonderful reunion of the family, and it was getting harder each day to remember the good that had occurred between them with the grief that lie inevitably ahead.

“Miss Janey, the agency said they’ll send over the bed this afternoon so you don’t have to use the stairs. Missy Breena has got the living room cleared out, so there will be plenty of room for you and anyone who comes along.” There would be some comfort from the arrangement, but not enough to mitigate the pain that was increasing every day. The doctor gave her a week, maybe ten days at the outside, but even that was only an estimate. There would be a few visitors; Jimmy and his buddies had already dropped by earlier that morning, mostly to apologize for their behavior toward Paddy. Tony and Jack had been reluctant at first, but Jimmy reminded them of how close they actually were with Mike…he still had a hard but understandable time saying Michelle. Hell, Michelle had a hard time saying it.

For the first time in over a week, all three of the women were together since there was one more task to accomplish, but perhaps the most bittersweet, since it was going to commemorate a life soon to end; a tender and heartrending moment that was only a day away. The doctor, as good and kind as he was, was no magician. To be sure, even the women had no power to delay the inevitable, so their task was to prepare their charge for her final transition.

Orla had once again assumed the guise of Fay, Chelsea’s new friend from Trenton. She and Chelsea had come over to spend time with Paddy, who was overwhelmed with the sadness and feelings of how unfair it was to reunite with his mother only to find out she was dying. Chelsea was there to support her friend….more than a friend now…and Fay was there to support them both.

Fiona had dropped by to give Paddy some information about some competent sensitive doctors in the area. She gave her the business card of a Dr. Katie Kelly, a psychologist who specialized in dealing with transgender issues, and would be a great support during Paddy’s transition. Fiona also took time to help Michelle understand that her act, while a selfless one, in supporting her sister at the assembly, indicated much more than just a brother’s kind gesture. She gave her two books that she thought might be helpful in Michelle’s beginning understanding about her own issues as a transgender woman. “Alice in Genderland,” by Dr. Alice Novic, and “My Husband Betty,” by Helen Boyd.

_____________________________________

The next day, a soft knock came at the door. Janey tried to lift her head, but was unable. Chelsea and her mother were over, ostensibly to visit, but the hospice nurse had told the family that there wasn’t much time. Before the girls had a chance to respond, Chelsea had gone to the door. Opening it up, she saw three figures, two of who she knew. Esther, Janey’s nurse stood in front, flanked by a teenage girl bedecked all in black, including her nails and lipstick. A taller woman stood behind, whom Chelsea recognized as Fiona, a transgender woman who had spoken at the assembly last week.

“I’m sorry….” She choked back a sob. “She hasn’t much time.” The three women smiled and entered the house. As they passed through the doorway, a magical thing happened. First Esther entered, but once inside, it was no longer Esther the nurse from Jamaica who stood there, but Calleigh the Wise. Michelle recognized her and embraced her, having been a member of the Women only days before.

Calleigh was followed immediately by Fay from Trenton, who transformed back into Orla the Resourceful. Chelsea and her mother held each other, more out of wonder than out of fear.

The tall almost mannish looking woman entered last…Fiona the compassionate. As she passed through the door, her features softened and her manner became softer as well. She paused to walk to Janey’s bed, which sat in the middle of the room. She leaned over and kissed her forehead and said quietly,

“Almost time, dear one.”

And it was almost time. The Women had no control; no foreknowledge. The disease had run its course. Janey would be gone before the end of the day, and it was time to gather to say goodbye.

The hospice nurse smiled warmly at the family. Un-phased by the transformation she had just witnessed, she walked over to Janey’s bed. A small Vietnamese woman, she was small but energetic, and her presence in the house had been a blessing in the days she had been there to help. Her energy was directed at care; no one expected any less, despite the fact that the disease had won….this time. Perhaps another day…another patient. She kissed Janey on the forehead and stepped back.

Janey looked up from her bed and motioned for Chelsea, who was standing with her mom. The both stood by the bed as Janey spoke.

“The first day I met you, I dropped Paddy off at your house for lunch; you were both five. It was a right proper tea and ‘caca mine bui’ as I remember and it was a good day, in spite of his trip home. Jimmy Dolan’s older brother was somewhat of a bully back then. (Timmy Dolan was now a Marine serving in Iraq) and he and two of his friends pushed Paddy into a big mud puddle and teased him. “Patsy’s got a girl friend…Patsy’s a girl..” Janey’s eyes teared up, remembering that she had not been there for all the other teasing and harassment, but she continued.

“He walked in the front door, dirtier than I’d ever seen. He choked back a few sniffles and smiled.

“Mommy…I made a new friend today…Her name is Chelsea!”

“It’s been that way ever since. I know I can depend on you…you’ve been keeping an eye on him….her ever since, even after I wasn’t.”

She grabbed Chelsea’s hand and pulled her closer while grabbing Chelsea’s mother’s wrist.

“Take care of my baby, honey, won’t you?” She pulled her closer and kissed her, almost a request, but mostly a blessing. Chelsea turned away and fell into her mother’s arms, sobbing.

Calleigh walked over to Breena, who was trying so hard not to cry, but having no success. She grabbed her hand softly and walked over to the bed. Janey looked up and smiled weakly while reaching out to grab Breena’s hand.

“We will require another to restore balance.” Breena was aware of the old arts, and looked at Calleigh with anticipation until Calleigh shook her head and said.

“You are needed here much more than for any need of other mortals. Your place is with the children.” Calleigh pointed to Michelle and Paddy, who were hold each other and crying softly.

“Bree…honey,” Janey said weakly, “They need to know…Paddy needs to know.”

A look of panic and horror swept across Breena’s face until Fiona walked up to her and hugged her, saying,

“She needs to know someone will advocate for her, someone who knows what she’s been through…someone who knows what she will continue to deal with…someone who has walked this path before her.”

Michelle and Paddy looked at their aunt, wondering if what they just understood Fiona to say was true. Janey spoke up, a little louder, but still just above a whisper.

“Your Grandma Maureen had two children…both somewhat rebellious in their own ways, but both beautiful. Sinead, that’s me and her other child…my brother Sean.”

“Janey…no…don’t…please.” By now Breena could barely stand from crying, and was held in a comforting embrace by Orla, who stroked her hair.

“Shhh….shhh….it’s going to be alright…you’ll see. It’s for the best, and the best is better than you can imagine.” Orla kissed her cheek softly.

“Sean was a lovely child…but Momma didn’t appreciate how different he was. The boys all used to tease him. He had only a few friends growing up. I suppose I was his best friend, but even I didn’t understand. In high school, he was beaten up by some bullies, and Momma finally understood. He went away for a while, but he never came back. In his place, as special and precious a sister anyone could ever have, came your Aunt Breena.” By now Paddy had moved over to her aunt and had joined Orla in hugging Breena.

“I was no use as a mother….oh, don’t worry, I’m alright now. We had our talk, we had our angry words, but Bree forgave me, and I her. I was never able or willing to take care of you precious children, but she was. If anything, and don’t get upset, it’s really true in a way; I’ve been more like an aunt and Bree’s been more like your mother. And no finer more caring or loving mother could God have provided than my sister.”

Janey motioned, and Breena walked over to the bed. She leaned over and wept for her sister, too sad in coming so late in their lives, but glorious in coming at just the right time.

She kissed Janey once more and motioned for Michelle and Paddy to come over to the bed. Michelle hung back feeling awkward, not being used to her new appearance and demeanor. Somehow she felt ashamed and guilty that she wasn’t who her mother expected. Paddy, however, practically ran to her mother’s side. She fell to the floor and put her head on the edge of the bed next to her mother’s hand. Janey stroked her hair but returned her attention to Michelle.

“Mikey, come here, sweetheart. Come bless me one more time, will you?” It wasn’t a demand, but a sweet request that melted Michelle’s heart. She walked around to the other side of the bed and leaned forward to kiss her mother.”

Janey put her hand on Michelle’s neck and pulled her closer.

“Michael Kevin McCarthy…I am so proud of you. No mother was blessed with a finer, more courageous son than I…you are my treasure, dear one. I know that much of what I see today is for your sister’s benefit. I do know that part of what I see is part of who you are, and I’m glad I have another daughter, too. I love you so much.” She kissed Michelle on the lips like when she was little and being tucked into her bed.

“And you, my sweet baby girl…I cannot begin to tell you of how proud I am of you. Brave and kind and sweet and innocent and loving. You are heart of my heart, my darling daughter. I love you with all my heart.” She pulled her daughter closer as Paddy rose to kiss her. Both daughters rested on their mother’s bosom as she wept and caressed their hair. Slowly, her hands began to lighten, as if she was lifting them. They ceased moving and she was gone.

______________________________________________

As the family gathered close at Janey’s bedside, the Women left quietly and gathered together outside the house. Calleigh stood and held Fiona in her arms as her sister wept for the family and their loss. It was a special, wonderful but sad time that could not help but affect the trio. Orla stepped closer and rubbed Fiona’s back while wiping her own tears away.

A figure walked toward the trio, vaguely familiar yet utterly new as well, if you follow me. The Women noticed her and ran to greet her, excited at her presence. She looked younger than Fiona, yet looked also old beyond her years, almost like a stately oak or a supple beech tree.

“Welcome, dear sister…We are glad for your joining, though we weep at the toll it has taken for the dear mortals inside. Welcome, Sinead the Merciful. It says somewhere that those who have received mercy shall be merciful. Welcome dear sister.”

“Thank you, all of you for restoring me.” Sinead looked at herself, seeing health and strength, not only in her restoration, but far beyond anything she had ever known.

Calleigh embraced her and said softly, “We only witnessed what the One who created you has done. It is to Him you owe your thanks.”

Calleigh embraced Sinead and was joined quickly by Orla and Fiona. Another figure stood off to the side, almost reverently staying apart from the group, feeling so out of place and unworthy.

“Come, dear heart…you belong here too, if only for a little while.” Calleigh held her arms open to embrace the fifth woman…restored for just a short time, and soon to return to her former form stood Maired the Innocent. But really, as odd and wonderful as it was, she really was just Michael Kevin McCarthy...a member of the group for one last time, it would seem.

“There’s not much time; we’ve some dear precious hurting souls elsewhere,”
Fiona said with much regret. By now the women’s tears were sorrowful and joyous, filled with excitement and sadness. Orla gently pulled Maired to her in an embrace and said,

“Heart of my heart, I bless you…dear one, always do what is right, love mercy and justice.” She kissed Michael on the cheek and stepped back.

“Come, be blessed, my sweet sister,” Fiona said. “Whatever you do, do it wholly and with passion, dear sister; love and be loved.” She also kissed Michael and turned to face Calleigh.

“Temper wisdom with love; thank you for being with us, even if it was only for a while.” Calleigh kissed Michael and they both turned to face the last woman.

Brand new in the old ways, Sinead was left to say what she needed to say, not as a member of the group, but as the dear one bidding farewell for the last time.

“Michael….I know you’ll do well; you have a good heart and you learn quickly. You are my sweet son, and I am so proud of you. I’ll look in from time to time, if that’s okay.” Michael embraced his mother for the last time, and hugged Sinead for the first, if that makes sense.

“I love you, momma…be well and filled with joy.” Tears fell like gentle rain as they said goodbye for the last time.

As before, the women started to change. Their clothing began to shimmer and glow, almost iridescent, taking on the appearance of something almost spiritual. Michael stood and watched as they all began to fade away, almost like vapor taken by the wind. The sound of music filled the air and he heard one last voice, that of Calleigh, as they finally disappeared.

“Be ready, Maired the Innocent….always be ready.”

Michael looked around and found himself alone. Still dressed as Michelle, he, rather she turned and walked back into the house to join the sad celebration.

Coming Soon: The Women of Draihoidel

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Andrea, Your Story Proves

That Agape Love conquers Death, Hell, and the Grave for those who Believe. For us that do, there is a special magic that we can not explain, yet is there for us.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Andrea,you give life

ALISON

'to everything you write and this is no exception.The Lord
giveth and the Lord taketh away and we give remembrance to
those who are gone,but you breathe life back into our souls
by your careful use of words and the thoughts you engender
in us mere mortals.Thank you again and I will pray for the two lovely souls that you and I miss so much.Love,Alison

ALISON

And while we're on the subject...

... Your tales touch upon very basic human emotions, especially reconciliation and forgiveness. I think everybody has been on one end or the other in their lives and these touching and very tender moments never fail to bring tears.

May WeAll Be Reconcilled and forgiven....

Lil' KellY

Even platitudes cannot...

...cheapen this gentle and emotional tale.

Let a smile be your umbrella

laika's picture

because there's no use crying over spilt milk after the horses have all got out,
and when your numbers up, it's up...

Why Meagan, I believe you're right! That had no effect whatsoever on this moving story.
Drea's stories have the miraculous effect of making me less cynical, showing me that
humans are capable of overcoming awful stuff, of learning, healing, growing, loving...
but not as much as her life and her friendship do.
~~~ahimsa, Laika

Quite true!!!

Let us make a death to cynicism with Drea in the lead and the rest of us in the van.

Intent...

Andrea Lena's picture

...while I'm not used to writing stories having Magic and the arts as a theme, my intent was using them as a jumping off point. The Women used nothing but persuasion and example to influence the mortals, and the Agape Stan spoke of is merely a Greek concept of love that is extended unconditionally; typically an example of Christ, but no religion has a corner on compassion and forgiveness. I hope I've conveyed my intent to provide reconcilliation in the story as a possibility in real life for some if not all of us. I have experienced it myself, and it is grand and glorious. Thanks for reading, everyone and God bless! drea

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena