Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 813.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 813
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next day, while Simon and his dad were saving the economy, getting the UK out of recession, I was busy playing teacher to younger charges than I usually have. I’d emailed the convent school and Sister Maria had sent me a whole pile of work back. I was busy teaching that to Trish and Livvie, while Mima practiced her reading with her Auntie Stella.

Puddin’ would sit in one of those shaker things, like a reclining chair made of a trampoline–well, I don’t know what you call them–and she’d sit and play with her rattles and mobiles and other toys, sucking on her dummy and making contented noises as she did so.

Mima seemed to be picking up her reading very well–she’d had some instruction from the older girls, who both had reading ages well above their natural ones, possibly Meems would make it a hat-trick. They were all potentially brighter than I was–and I suppose I wasn’t stupid, especially if you compare me to Simon. Ooh what a bitch–you didn’t hear me say any of that.

Tom seemed to spend his whole time rearranging Sir George’s wine-cellar with one of the gardeners helping him. I have no idea what they were doing, but Sir George was very pleased with the outcome so far. They would talk about it each evening over dinner.

We were eating one evening, the girls safely ensconced in their beds, when I decided to dip a toe in to enquire how much longer we would be staying to plague our host’s generosity.

“But, Cathy we love having you and Stella and the children here, the place feels like a home again.”

“Hilary, you are such gracious hosts that asking sounds a trifle ungrateful, but there are things I’d like to do,” I smiled sweetly at her, but it was driving me crazy–I had a home of my own to run plus a life of my own as well. I was just as much a prisoner as some of the people in open prisons, maybe more so, I couldn’t go out at all.

“There are developments under way to resolve the problem with our Russian friends. It shouldn’t take more than a few more days.” Sir George who was our ’interface’ with the security services, had pronounced–the fact that he’d said more or less the same the day before yesterday seemed to go unchallenged, except by me.

“I think I micht jes’ cope wit’ anither day or twa,” said my treacherous professor. He was having great fun playing in the wine cellar and I learned afterwards, computerising the whole thing–well, the list element. Effectively, Tom was cataloguing the booze.

“What sort of developments, Sir George?” I asked and Stella nodded an agreement to my question.

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you just yet, things are at quite a delicate stage. However, we are getting there, Cathy, so just hang in there, as our American cousins say.”

“Are they kissin’ cuzzins?” said Stella quietly in a mock southern belle voice, and I choked on my rhubarb roulade. Don’t you feel so stupid when that happens at a dinner table. There I am in a relatively posh frock, coughing like a bad case of swine flu. How embarrassing can you get? I should know better by now, whenever Stella leans forward to me, there’s a funny coming and I’m likely to get a hernia from laughing. She managed to avoid the big one we had, she suddenly developed dengue fever, so she claimed–then the next morning discovered she’d got better thanks to some mysterious healing force. Why do I feel she’s always taking the urine?

I hadn’t used my ‘powers’ for months and was quite happy to keep it that way, however, things conspired against me. The morning after this meal, Sir George had a myocardial infarct–heart attack to you and I.

The paramedics were called and I saw our chances of getting home either postponed or rushed. Neither suited me, because if they rushed things, how would I know my kids would be safe? And if they postponed it how long would things take if someone else had to take over Sir George’s role?

We waited while the medics did their bit, the doctor and the two paramedics and their bags of tricks, which seemed to be whisked upstairs by the green clad emergency duo.

Hilary, who, I suspect had been kicked out of the room came down to apologise for not being much of a hostess–that’s the British upper classes, polite and courteous at all times. Years of public school training makes them so–so what went wrong with Simon and Stella?

I poured Hilary a cup of coffee and Stella encouraged her to sit at the table with us. Tom had disappeared down the hole into the wine store and Simon was busy on a computer link to his office.

“How’s Sir George?” we both asked.

“The doctor doesn’t think it looks too good.” From the look on her face she wanted to burst into tears but was too controlled to do so. “It’s sort of in the lap of the gods.”

“Couldn’t you use some of your magic powers, Cathy?” asked Stella dropping the question on me out of the blue.

“Um–I haven’t done any of that for ages,” I spluttered and blushed.

“What magic powers?” Hilary asked, grateful for a slight distraction from her worry.

“Cathy, did some healing on a whole pile of people a few months back–several of them were beyond the skill of the doctors–and I should know, I’m a trained nurse specialist,” Stella announced, dropping me deeper in the mire.

“I don’t know, Stella, it’s a bit sort of random.”

“No it isn’t, you only have to touch them and they seem to improve. They do, Hilary, I’ve seen it happen.”

“When did you see it happen?” I snapped at her.

“When you did it to me, you’d forgotten that, hadn’t you. I also saw you bring Tom back from the abyss, so there.” If she’d stuck her tongue out at me, we could have started pulling each other’s hair and stamping feet–but she didn’t, instead she dropped me in it, ever deeper.

“Is this true, Catherine?” Now it felt like I was being carpeted by a headmistress, perhaps for fighting or wearing my skirt too short–you know the reasons, the crimes they prosecute in girl’s schools.

“Um–“I blushed,--“I might have helped one or two; but it was ages ago.”

“A few months,” corrected Stella, who continued her torment, “she produces this blue light from somewhere and it goes colder around her. It’s amazing to watch.”

“Blue light? Is this a Christian thing? The local church does healing, should I contact them?”

“You won’t need to, they’re like battery powered compared to Cathy, who plugs into the mains.” I glowered at Stella, no pressure?

“And you’re a trained nurse?” Hilary asked Stella.

“Yes, although I stopped practising a few months ago, when Cathy saved my life.”

“You stopped because Cathy saved your life?” asked Hilary and I cringed.

“I’d best go and see what the girls are doing,” I said slipping away from the table.

“I’d prefer it if you stayed, Catherine.” Hilary went into headmistress mode again.

“You’ve nothing to lose, have you?” said Stella upping the ante.

“I suppose not,” agreed Hilary. Unfortunately, I wasn’t necessarily in agreement with them. George might not either, he was the one with the most to lose. Just then a staff member called to say the doctor was leaving.

Hilary went to see him and left Stella and I to have our playground discussion in relative privacy. “What the hell are you trying to do to me?” I snapped at her.

“Oh for God’s sake, Cathy, you know you can do this, so what’s the problem?”

“He could die, that’s the problem–in fact he probably will.”

“Only if you let him?”

“That’s unfair, Stella.”

“So why are you humming and hah-ing about it?”

“I’m not, I just don’t know if I can actually do it anymore–is that good enough?”

“If you can remember how to ride a bloody bike, you can remember how to save his life.”

Hilary came back into us, “The doctor says he’s got a matter of hours, that’s all.”

“Can’t they whip him into hospital–Oxford can’t be that far away?” I suggested in trying to distract them from my meagre abilities.

“He won’t make the journey–he’s going to die, my love is going to die.” Hilary broke down and we both went to comfort her, Stella giving me a very old fashioned look as we did. I felt absolutely awful.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Go-on Cathy

what have you got to lose!!! So maybe the blue light might not work! But you have to take the chance, You owe it to George!! So go-on girl! Get in there and do your best.....After all You've obviously been given the power for a good reason!!!

Kirri

As well you should!

I felt absolutely awful.

Whether or not you have only a glint of a change to do any good, you better put some effort in. It never hurts to try something for the sake of others, and -again and again- this hemming and hawing is sooo frustrating.
Evidently Cathy is only moving when whipped into action by circumstances and/or pressure and it's really annoying to see her getting trapped into these trying times every next chapter where she's -not- reacting in standard indecisive way.
Everyone learns and grows, it's time you let Cathy grow some, and maybe a backbone too.

That said, I can't believe I am still following EAFOAB, and better yet, you writing it. I wouldn't want to miss it, and therefore: A big thank you Angharad.

Jo-Anne

Whether it works or not, it's worth a try

It isn't like she could do him harm if he the experts have said he only has hours to live. When I think of it, Cathy's done the blue light thing on all of her family hasn't she. Puddin to Tom, all of them. And of course, having a little credit with the "upper classes" can't hurt either.

Wake up Cathy!

Cathy is being both an 'a**' and a 'b***h. I am disappointed. From the past the way the power works is that it will guide her to do the right thing. Remember what happened with the elderly couple she saw with the reverend? Her power made her the angel of death and helped the couple face death with dignity on their terms. The same thing in the hospital when she tried to heal an accident victim only to have him die later as she passed out. It is not her gift to deny to anyone. The gift will manifest in the correct way when she approaches the subject to be healed. Cathy has no right to deny George. It is not whether she heals him or not but if she makes an honest effort. She has so much to give. It is time she grows up and accepts the responsibility for her gift and does the right thing.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Cathy will do it...

...it's just that, particularly over the time in the hospital when her 'powers' nearly got outed, she's very reluctant to use them on anyone she isn't very close to (sorry George, despite your hospitality you don't qualify...yet). Obviously if Tom / Simon / Stella / Livvie / Trish / Mima needed healing (in most of those cases, needed healing again!) she'd jump right in, but I think she prefers to do it on her terms - i.e. if/when she wants to. She doesn't like being pressured by others to heal - perhaps she feels that in doing so they're 'using' her for their own purposes. Others boasting about her healing record doesn't exactly help matters for Cathy - she doesn't like to be reminded of the people she's helped - and it only increases the pressure piled on her to do it - which naturally causes her to rebel more.

In addition (and this may be part of her excuse / anti-healing rationale), her healing 'power' contradicts her rigid scientific understanding of the world, and she's not ready to accept the existence of supernatural 'energies' - she had a hard enough time attempting to rationalise the 'ghosts' of her parents when she was directed to the safety deposit box in the house.

Now if Stella had approached Cathy and quietly asked her if she'd do her healing, as George was at death's door, unlikely to make it to hospital, and his death could cause added complications for the family; she would still have protested but perhaps not as vehemently, and would have been more willing to go upstairs and do it. Unfortunately, although they've been living in the same house for over a year, Stella still cannot empathise with Cathy enough to know how to tactfully phrase the request for healing.
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Beautiful summary

The key here is the rude way Stella has volunteered Cathy who yes can NOT guarantee success. She is only the instrument of the force and not the source. If the person was meant to die, the force tells her - remember the couple her priest friend tested her on ?

Kim

If y'all will recall...

Puddintane's picture

Cathy's half killed herself with this trick before, and it doesn't always work. She has reason to be both fearful and concerned lest she raise false hopes.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

False hopes and denial

Athena N's picture

At the times when Cathy admits to herself that she has this power, she is also aware that she cannot heal everyone, just hurt herself trying. Now Stella, with the talk about how good Cathy is, is putting her in a situation where it's effectively her choice whether Sir George will live or not. Way to go.

I hope Cathy can -- and will -- save him, but it would be nice if Stella grew up some, too. As much as I like her most of the time, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the latter to happen...

Cathy has a special gift

Cathy has a special gift that she, in my mind, is supposed to share with others in their time of greatest need. Whether it to assist them facing their death and giving them peace or to heal them of their medical malady is not up to her, but rather the provider of the gift. Cathy should aleast try to help Sir George and Hilary in their time of need. Jan

But what are the limits.

Let us suppose you have Cathy's ability. How appreciative of having that ability if people coming around all hours - say 3 o'clock in the morning - in their time of greatest need - and drag you all over creation to help somebody ? Let us say you are in the middle of New York City and you have this gift. I suspect there are hundreds of people in dire straits at some time or another, do you try to do this healing thing day and night ?

What are the limits would you suggest ?

Kim

Cathy Needs To

Accept her gift and the source. Until she accepts God as REAL, her power will be wonky.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Obligations?

Everybody is talking as if Cathy had some kind of obligation to use this "ability" of hers. I don't think she does. Should she? In some cases, and when she so desires. Does she "have to"? Do others have the right to place an obligation on her? No. Stella should have taken her aside and asked. Cathy has been placed under considerable pressure to "perform a miracle", something she is not at all happy about being able to do even occasionally.

She certainly is not under any obligation to acquire a belief in a supreme being or take on any tasks as a result of said being's actions. It is possible she may end up 'believing in God', maybe even reaching the conclusion that God has given her a special ability. But we supposedly have free will to reach that belief on our own.

I think Cathy is able to determine what the right thing is to do. Stella needs to back off, fast.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

There is a potentally worse problem here

There is a long tradition in literature, and real life for that matter, of as the phrase goes, "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

What powers Cathy's gift? There must be some cost to it's use. At a minimum it is the risk of her becoming known as a healer and hounded for it. It could also be a risk to her health. Plus every time she uses the gift it is a reminder she did not or could not heal her dying mom or her father. As much as she feared/despised him, she loved him and her mom died in a way that Cathy can never be sure she accepted her as a woman and not her son.

Those are two of the most important people in her life and she could not save them. She couldn't save Des, she was next to the mentally ill secretary at uni when the police snipers killed her. And she is still a *fake* woman in her mind, in that she once was male and cannot have children, her deepest desire I suspect. Look at how she reacted to the childrens' disappearance.

She suffers from periods of severe self-doubt, a sad legacy of her upbringing. She can heal others but not herself, thus she she is unworthy of being a mother. She will be *found out* and they will be taken from her. She can't even help her TG child become a real girl thus Cathy is a useless and sorry excuse for a person. Never mind she got her and Mima walking and running again, never mind people are alive and well who should be dead or crippled, *she* is a failure.

Her almost sister in law has put her between a rock and a hard place. Stella means well but didn't think. Cathy is in a damned if you do damned if you don't spot now.

The opposite risk, unlikely with Cathy's periodic crippling self loathing, is if she comes to believe in God because of her *blue light* healing gift then she might come to feel she is special, semi devine even and that could lead to a great sin in her mind, false pride.

Bonzi, you sure know how to write a story. If only your waits person, Angharararad, could write as well.

But then she only has those silly opposable thumbs and not your ever so usefull tail.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Wear your red and blue 3-D gllasses and my signature will still look like I typed it twice.

John in Wauwatosa

Apart from the postscript

Angharad's picture

where you can't spell glasses, (shakes head in despair) that pretty well sums up 800 odd episodes. I find it amazing that you've allowed me to get away with it for so long.

Angharad

Angharad

maybe it is ....

those red and blue 3D glasses. mine are red and green.

Angel

She got herself in bad shape doing this just before if I recall. I wonder if she burnt herself out back then doing it so much, so often. She at least severely weakened herself. Even if she tries, we may lose grandpa.

It was only a matter of time...

While I'd hate to be in Cathy's shoes (she gets folks pissed at her quite easily (and Stella talks the piss, I think that's the term anyway). I don't think I'd fit into Cathy's shoes either. My feet being a tad larger.

I understand Stella's offering, but this could backfire on the families. All that said, people faced with imminent death (or even being told they have an incurable disease) look at things very differently from those without this issue.

I'm hoping all goes well.

Thanks,
Annette

Cathy

I'm betting she does it, how can she not. It would be contrary to whom she is. To make the effort, and fail, is much better than if she doesn't try at all.

Get It On, Cathy.

Get It On, Cathy.
Heal your host, it's easy peasy . Just do it

Cefin