Sk8r Grrls Ch 03 a : Character Profile - Andy Wilson

Printer-friendly version


Everything you ever wanted to know about Andy, but didn't think to ask...
Sk8r Grrls
Character Profiles
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
 
Andy Wilson
(Art by Heather Rose Brown)


Andy Wilson, the boy-type alter ego of one of the two Wilson twin sisters (and ostensibly, the main characters), and the most tragic Sk8r Grrl character, is an emotional thrill ride to write.

Some basic facts about him:

  • His family is new to Constitution, Tennessee -- himself, parents, twin sister, and older brother.
  • He is a young transgirl, not out to his parents or brother, and the community only knows his alter ego self (Annie).
  • He wants to be allowed to be the girl he knows he is, but is frightened of peoples' (especially family's) reactions.
  • Thin, but not scary-skinny, typical girly or geeky (or both) build.
  • He's into typically geeky things like anime/manga, and appears to be a bit depressed most times -- spurring his parents interest in his joining SOME type of extra-curricular activity to make friends.
  • Is the best at grinds of any of the Sk8r Grrls.

Now, Heather Rose Brown and I discussed the look of all the characters, and her take on Andy is the most recent! Here are the sketches that she gave me of the boy Sk8r Grrl in progression:

First Rough Sketch:

Sk8r Andy First

Here, he's leaning against a comics/magazine rack, to himself probably having to be Andy because the parents are around. His nose in a manga, very geeky and typical, though unconsciously standing kinda femme, anyway. Notice the long hair.

Second Iteration Sketch:

Sk8r Andy Details

Cleaned up the general lines, the hair is a bit too-neatly kept for a boy, and in general looks like a tomboy more than a boy. I know, right? You can now make out some of the manga detail, but not enough to identify it. It's likely one with a transgirl main character, though!

Third Iteration Sketch:

Sk8r Andy Backdrop

Background added to make the bookstore as a locale for the scene more obvious, the manga being only part of andy's interest in being there.

Final Sketch:

Sk8r Andy Final

Final revision, with more background details added, and lots of general cleanup notice the enthralled expression on his face.


So this is just a basic profile on Andy Wilson, more to come on him and both basic and more coming for the other Sk8r Grrls!

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos