Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chap. 07/34

Printer-friendly version
Air Force Sweetheart
TacPzlSolGp
Chapter 07/34

by T. D. Aldoennetti

previous:

“Certainly. Very few Americans in Saigon speak more than one, maybe two other languages and most of our agents are known or suspected by the other side so as they walk past the discussions change until they are gone again. The only reason I was able to hear them is they don’t think a woman is smart enough to know other languages nor to be a good intelligence conduit. During the one Embassy function I heard no less than four conversations regarding supplies being brought into South Vietnam from North Vietnam or Cambodia. About the only other thing I learned during the gala was to be careful of the French.”


 
Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf by T D Aldoennetti on Sun, 2008/11/02 - 11:12am. Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chapter 7 is revised and reposted on Tue, 2009/12/08 - 09:57 AM ~Sephrena


Don't look now but:

Chapter 07
 

The rest of the evening’s conversation is equally interesting.

Janet and Tony leave for home about seven. Mom and I go in, wash the dishes and clean up a bit before we settle down to watch Walter Cronkite on CBS. After the news is over, I grab a book from the family room and say goodnight to Mom.

We hug and kiss each other’s cheek then I go off to my room.

I’ve prepared for bed and am sitting there with my pillows propped up behind me reading. I’m nearly a quarter of the way through the book when I realize the book I selected is a romance novel. It’s something I would never have picked as Charley, but right now I like it. Aunt Julie must be right about me.

Somewhere around chapter twelve, I fall asleep. The next morning, I awaken just before the sun pokes its head above the horizon. Checking the clock, I find it’s five in the morning. I had best continue the military early rising habits I’ve been following for so long, since I’m only on leave. I hunt through my cosmetics and bathing items to find my bath oils. I put my hair up so it won’t be soaked and try to draw a tub of water without waking Mom but only partially succeed.

I am soaking in the tub when she comes in, “Good morning, Mom,” I said.

“Good morning, Lucy. I knew you were here, Happy’s just outside the door.” She does a double take and then openly stares at me.

“Lucy, are those real?”

“What? Oh. Not yet Mom. These are breast forms, but I will have real ones in a few months. I don’t know if they will be as nice as these but they’ll be mine.”

“This is still a little strange for me,” she said.

“Me too, Mom. Even what I read seems to have changed. A lot of what I say and do is completely automatic now. I don’t give it a thought, it just happens. I don’t know what’s happening to me, Mom, but I think of myself as a girl…, no, I think of myself as a woman now. The same things which are insulting to women, are insulting to me. About the only thing women have that I am not beginning to acquire is the ability to have a baby. I wish I could have that too.”

“I wish you could too, Honey. If you wind up with a good husband then your sister and I may help you have children. At least you may have that blessing.”

“Thanks, Mom. I…. I really mean it. Thanks. I will really like that.”

She smiles at me and leaves. My water is cooling so I drag myself out and pat dry as the tub drains. I quickly clean it and flush the remnants of my oils with fresh water scrubbing them off the sides of the tub.

Wrapping my robe around me I call out, “Mom, I’m done. The bathroom’s yours.”

“Thanks, Lucy. May I borrow some of your bath oils?”

“Be my guest, Mom.”

I go back to my room, getting dressed for a day of shopping, then place my hand towel over my skirt and start in on my makeup. After about fifteen minutes and I am finished, as well as disgusted. Today I’ll purchase new makeup.

Putting on my blouse, I walk out of my room calling, “Mom, what do you want for breakfast?”

“Something simple. Scrambled eggs, a little of the ham, toast, and tea is fine, thanks, I’ll be down in about twenty.”

“Okay, Mom.” Going down to the kitchen, I put the kettle on after filling it with fresh water and then begin breakfast. I whip up seven scrambled eggs with a touch of milk and melted butter mixed in, adding just a little pepper and some parsley. They are cooking even as the oven is warming. Placing them half and half onto two plates, I pop the plates into the warmed oven and turn off the gas.

I slice two medium sized pieces of ham, cook them, and then drop one slice onto each plate to keep warm, I’m just putting the bread into the toaster as Mom comes in and she begins preparing her tea.

“What do you want to drink, Lucy?”

“Tea is fine.”

As the toast pops up, I take the slices and plop them onto one of the plates in the oven, then start two more in the toaster. I set two places at the table while the toast is browning, I am back just as it pops up and quickly arrange them on the second plate, then, using two pot-holders, I lift the plates out of the oven and take them into the dining room, situating them on the mats on the table. Mom brings in our tea as I add butter and peach marmalade to the table.

We chat as we eat. I tell her I can’t stand it any longer so I am going to rush out and purchase real cosmetics. She laughs and stops to think a moment.

“Lucy, I think Macy’s has someone doing makeovers in their cosmetics department this week. Or maybe it’s….”

“Why don’t we look at all of the stores? I need to purchase a lot of clothes, so we will have a chance to discover which store has the makeover lady.”

“That sounds good to me. What sort of things do you need?”

“Everything. Including at least three more gowns, maybe four. Jewelry, a lot of jewelry, both good and everyday. Perfume, several bottles of at least two different fragrances. Under garments, hose, lipstick in a colour which looks good. Maybe several close shades so I have both day and evening colours. The gown I have now is lavender and strapless and the others should likely be other colours. Then I need shoes and clutches to match.”

“Good Heavens, Lucy. That will cost a fortune.”

“I have an $8000 disbursement to buy all this, Mom. I have to get everything now, because I won’t have a chance later. My assignment will be overseas again and the selections over there are in the pits. Even Aunt Julie said so.”

“Who??”

“Aunt…. Oh! Sorry, it just slipped out. That’s part of my cover, Mom.”

I look around the room and at the windows, “Promise you won’t tell anyone? You too, Happy.”

“Woof!”

“I’ll take that as a yes. Mom?”

“I promise, Honey. Whatever are you getting into now?”

“I can’t tell you, Mom. It’s important, but if word gets out and I’m found out then you may never see me again. Anyway, Uncle Phillip and Aunt Julie are the General and his wife. They are part of my cover. I’m their niece Lucy. They have a real niece named Lucy but she’s here in the States somewhere and they seldom see each other. They, sort of, don’t like each other.

Anyway, Aunt Julie said the selection of clothes, makeup, perfume…, most of the things a woman needs are just terrible over there. I agree. That’s why I need to obtain all I can here and take it with me. Lots of perfume and makeup. If I can find the scent Aunt Julie likes I think I’ll pick up a couple of bottles to take back to her.”

“Wow. I don’t know if $8000 will be enough. You’d better purchase the necessities today and then after you see how much you have left go tomorrow for the rest.”

“That’s a good idea, Mom. The clothes are the first problem, then the jewelry, cosmetics, perfume and nail polish. I will need your help with a lot of this. I need some perfume which is light, to wear when I am in uniform, something a little heavier for civilian dress, then the knockout punch to wear with my gowns.”

“Honey, after breakfast let’s go up to your room so I can see what you have. I will be able to help better once I know where we are starting and how you look in the clothes you have. Have you thought of having your hair done?”

“I can’t do that Mom. This is a wig and I don’t want to damage it. The way it is now I may wear it up or in a ponytail, a french curl, down like this. I have a lot of choices. If I have it permed or cut then I’m stuck.”

“I understand. Let me see your hands…. We need to have those taken care of.”

“Okay, but the nails can’t be too long because the Army regulations will require me to cut them.”

“What a waste. You look so pretty, nice nails would really enhance your image.”

“I’m supposed to be a working girl, Mom. I need shorter nails. They may have a nice polish to them but they can’t have too much colour when I am in uniform.”

“Pity. Come on, let’s wash the dishes and get upstairs. I want you to model everything you have.”

As soon as the dishes are done and put away, we go up to my room. I feel I am losing a lot of valuable time but Mom says, “Once I have a feel for the look you need, we’ll be able to shop a lot faster. We can skip the stores that have nothing to offer you.”

I pull everything out and she make comments about each item. One she tells me I should, “never ever wear, it just doesn’t do anything for you at all.” She continues to critique my clothes and when I finally change my under garments and put on the gown she nods in approval, “I see why the French wanted to undress you.”

“Mommm!”

“Lucy, you look scrumptious in that.”

Just then, we hear the front door open and Janet calls out, “Hi, Mom. Where are you?” Happy scrambles up and charges out the door and down the stairs.

“Upstairs, Janet. Lucy is trying on her clothes for me.”

Moments later, Happy is charging into the room again and Janet is only a few seconds behind him.

“Oh my God, Lucy. I have a bat you can borrow. Where did you buy that. I’m going to go get one.”

“I don’t know. The Army got it for me to wear to the Embassy ball.”

“Wow. How do you keep from being raped wearing that?”

“Janet!” Mom admonishes.

“MOM, she looks wonderful. I never looked like that in a strapless.”

“Yes, you did, dear. You just didn’t think so. Why do you think I was so upset when you went to the Prom in a strapless gown?”

“Mom, she’s a knockout.”

I accept Janet’s praise with a slight curtsey.

Then Mom says, “She is, isn’t she?”

“Geez, Mommm.” I complain both in happiness and in embarrassment.

“And she doesn’t believe it, just like you didn’t. Okay, Lucy, I’ve seen everything.

Change back to your shopping clothes and let’s get the show on the road. Janet, will you come downstairs with me?”

Janet gives me one more appraising look and a thumbs up, then follows Mom out the door. About fifteen minutes later I’m ready to go, everything is put away once more and I am wearing the things I will need if I am to try on other gowns. I stuff a couple of thousand into my purse, wish I had a larger purse, and hide the briefcase under the mattress. I duck into Mom’s room to smell her perfumes, but none of them strike me as being the kind of fragrance I am looking for, so I go on downstairs. Mom takes us in tow to the garage and we back out in the station wagon.

The remainder of the morning is spent looking at sensible everyday clothing which is still feminine enough for the image I am trying to convey. About a dozen of everything so I may mix and match for a lot of outfits. More shoes, both flats and low heels plus several pair of black high heels to match those I have. It wouldn’t do to have my only black high heels break down and be months away from replacements. At the next store we again purchase sensible everyday clothing and a few hats. Now I’m certain I have enough for every possible situation. We also purchase some slacks, and jeans, just a couple of each, for emergencies or dirty situations. Why soil a nice skirt when jeans will work?

Now we go for socks and sneakers and all kinds of under things. More hosiery of course, a lot more, maybe fifty pairs since the overseas selection is so limited. We stop for lunch between our visits to stores. As the day drags on, it is approaching four and Janet says she has to go so she can prepare supper for Tony. We drive back home and I thank her for her help, then she kisses us both on the cheek and rushes off, saying, “See you tomorrow.”

Mom and I take everything inside. I don’t know how I’m going to get all this to Vietnam. I well exceed nine cases, although I think I’m nowhere near the weight allotment. However we don’t yet have the gowns and all the other necessities. I don’t have enough closet space so I move some of it into my old room. Checking my purse I total the receipts at $1122.17, a lot of money. I’m beginning to feel a little overwhelmed.

Mom decides we may go out for supper and selects the dress she wants me to wear, then leaves to get ready herself. I touch up my makeup and put on the dress. After a couple of minutes of dressing for human combat, I ask her to come back in, “Mommm, can you zip me?”

She comes in, also in a dress, wearing pearls and white pumps. She's just fastening her earrings as she steps up to me and quickly slides up my zipper, then fastens the placket hook. My own dress is a hue of blue-green so, after she zips me, I put on the Sapphires and she gives me the once over. Dragging me into her room she sniffs each of the perfumes she has. Finally she grimaces and says, “I don’t have the scent you need, so this will have to do,” and spritzes me on my chest and at each pulse point…, the ears, throat and wrists.

“Tomorrow, we need to purchase the perfumes you need and your makeup and jewelry.”

“Don’t forget the gowns, Mom.”

“They come first. The jewelry must match the gowns. Then when you are in everyday clothes you need inexpensive jewelry so you look nice. Those sapphires don’t look right, not even for everyday wear. You need to dump them. The style of them says expensive but the sapphires say fake, so they are either cheap or imitation. Believe me another woman would know. I wouldn’t wear them. Since they were all you had there was little choice. Let me see the jewelry you have.”

She looks at my pitiful collection and critiques it just as she did the clothes I have.

“Mom. If everything is so poor why didn’t anyone say anything?”

“Lucy, when you were in that gown the men were too busy looking at certain parts of your anatomy to notice your jewelry. The ladies likely didn’t say anything since you are young and inexperienced. Your mother would be expected to help teach you how to select more appropriate things to wear. That is what I am doing now.

Consider this a ‘crash course’ in femininity. I wish we had a month. You remember things so well, but I need a month to teach just the basics of everything you really need to know. It can’t be done in just a few days. I’m surprised your Aunt Julie didn’t say something.”

“She sort of did. We didn’t have any choice, since this is what the Army was willing to purchase at the time and we didn’t want to spend a lot of money just for a test. Now it’s the real thing so I need the real stuff.”

“Okay. Then you had best carry more money tomorrow than you did today. For now, we better get a move on; the restaurant will be filling.”

Mom takes us out to one of the popular and slightly more expensive restaurants where we wait for about twenty minutes for a table. During that time a few people who know Janet come over to say hi and then realize I’m not she. Mom introduces me as her other daughter Lucy and they usually remark that they could tell I was her daughter and I look a lot like Janet. We exchange ‘nice to meet you’ pleasantries before they go back to wait for their table. Finally we are seated and place our orders.

“I’m pleased to see you have adjusted your food intake to suit your present stature. The way you used to eat won’t work at all if you want to keep your figure.”

“I know, Mom. In fact I’m gaining a little weight now and don’t understand why since I’m eating about a third to half as much.”

“You need more exercise. How did the Army get the weight off you in the first place?”

I nod my head, “Exercise. And a restricted diet.”

“That’s your answer then. Cut out potatoes and desserts, donuts, cookies, high-fat foods like french fries and reduce your milk intake adding vitamins and calcium. That will help.”

“I need to buy something, then. Enough to last ten months at least.”

“We may do that the day after tomorrow. When you eat your supper tonight, leave a little. Don’t stuff yourself. Don’t diet, but watch what you eat and how much. Keep the balance, but in lower proportions. Your body will adjust the rest. And eat more fruits, vegetables and greens.”

Mom watches my every move and gives me pointers as we eat. “Sit up, women don’t slouch, at least the one’s who want to be thought of as ladies don’t slouch.” or “hold your fork and knife like this when you cut your food.” and “Lucy, shoulders back, stop hunching over. Remember you’re a lady not some uneducated scullery maid.”

Every few minutes there is some other little adjustment to the way I do things.

They’re not much different than I usually do things but then, they are….

“Keep your head up, lower it only to watch what you’re doing then raise it again. A woman doesn’t keep her head down like a man except maybe during a short period when she’s shy or embarrassed. Maybe if you think of it like this, be proud you’re a lady. I’m going to check some movies out from that new video store and you need to watch them each evening. Watch how the women walk and act and hold themselves when they want to present different emotions to a man. You’ve seen movies.

Why hasn’t any of it sunk in? Shyness, anger, joy, fear, sorrow, happiness, love….

They all are portrayed in what you do and how you act. You may tell someone you are interested in possibly going on a date without saying a word and without being obvious about it. You must learn all this in just a few days. Girls have ten years or more to learn how to get it right. You don’t have that luxury so pay attention every second.”

“Geez, Mom. You make it sound like I don’t have a chance.”

“If you want to get it right and never be discovered then you need to pay the piper and start doing it properly right now. You won’t have an opportunity later. There are only about five days remaining, so start now. You need to learn three years worth of practice each day.”

I never realized how smart Mom is. She taught Janet all this stuff and I never even noticed. Not even when I was going out with them. We just concentrated on how I looked with little emphasis on how I acted. I guess that was because it wasn’t something I needed to know since I wasn’t staying as a girl. Now I’m in trouble, and need the information and the practice.

“Lucy, either bring your legs together or cross them. Ladies don’t sit like that. If I notice, so will everyone else.”

“Dainty. Don’t shovel your food into your mouth. Small Bites.”

“Slouching.”

“Flirting.”

Flirting? All I did was look around the room! Geez, this is hard. I thought I was doing pretty well until now.

“Chew your food, Lucy. Don’t gulp it down. Not like that…. Watch me.”

You know something, if I take small bites and the time to chew well before swallowing then I feel full before I finish everything. I don’t want to finish my meal. No more super size burger meals for me. Besides, they’re too fattening.

“Slouching again.”

I look at the ceiling and once again adjust my posture. Girls have it pretty rough, every second they need to concentrate on how they look or act. Well, maybe not that rough. Over ten years I could see where it would become automatic. I’d better learn this though, and not just for my own sake; I will need to teach it to my girls.

Now that’s an eye opener.

“Mom…?”

“Don’t talk with food in your mouth.”

I finish chewing and swallow, take a small sip of water, “Mom, will you help correct me the rest of the week? Maybe each time I come home too? I just thought of something important and I really need to know all this stuff.”

“What’s so important, Lucy?”

“My daughters. If I don’t know all this, how can I teach them?”

She smiles, “Well, I guess their grandmother will need to help too. We have a long way to go. You will never make it into finishing school the way you are now.”

“Do I have a chance, Mom? We only have five more days.”

“A chance. Slim, but a chance. If you are finished, I think we will go see if the movies are available so you may begin with them tonight. Head up.”

She takes us to the movie store and we look through everything. She only finds three of the movies she has in mind and asks if the others are available. They don’t stock them, just the newer stuff and a few of the older classics. They show us where the classics may be found and Mom finds one more movie.

She also locates an exercise tape and tells me to purchase it. “In the next five days you will run this one into the ground.”

We leave the store and once back in the car I mention, “Mom, could we stop at a store where they sell TVs and VTRs? I don’t want to wear out your machine and this way I could watch the movies and exercise in my room.”

“That sounds like a good idea, Lucy. Be certain to leave your window open while you exercise so the air in your room doesn’t start to smell. You will need to clean your room more as well. The perspiration in the air will settle on everything and make the room smell even though the window is open.”

Now I understand why Mom had the windows and doors open all the time. Just the screens stayed closed to keep out the bugs.

We stop at an appliance store and I purchase one of the new big screen TVs, a 21 inch, and an AKAI player. As an afterthought, I also purchase (a lady purchases a man buys) a window fan. Not too bad I guess, $793.87.

Back home I carry everything up to my room and set it up, the TV weighs a ton. I try on my uniform jacket and it is tighter yet. I’m getting fat. Stripping down I put on one of the swim suits I purchased, check to be certain I’m flat, my tummy is fighting me, and place the fan into the window aimed out so I don’t blow my perspiration into the rest of the house. Now I have a problem. The cord isn’t long enough to reach the socket.

Charging downstairs, “Mommm. Do you have an extension cord? The fan won’t reach the outlet.”

I stop cold. One of the ladies from across the street is sitting there with Mom.

“Come here, Lucy. This is Mrs. Cavendish from across the street, You may remember her from one of your other visits. I think she gave you the orange flavored cookies one Halloween.”

I think for a moment, “Yes, I remember. That was the Halloween I wore the blue Cinderella costume wasn’t it?”

“I think so.”

Mrs. Cavendish adds, “I remember you. That is what you wore. You and your sister were there, she had on that harem girl costume. She looked cute but I’ll bet she was cold. My goodness, you must have been about ten then. How time flies.”

She nods her head and continues to mentally reminisce as mother quietly tells me, “The cords are in the kitchen, in the broom closet.”

“Thanks, Mom. It was nice to meet you again, Mrs. Cavendish.”

“A pleasure, young lady. My goodness, you turned out to be quite a looker haven’t you? You’d better watch out, some young man will be trying to grab you away.”

“Thank you, I’ll be careful. Bye, Mrs. Cavendish.”

“Bye…, Lucy.”


1996_pcc.jpg To Be Continued...
 
 
 
 © 2008, 2009 by T D Aldoennetti & Rénae Dáºmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the Author (copyright holder) or her assigned representative. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. An Aldoennetti Original.

 
 

up
249 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Original comments to Air Force Sweetheart Chapter 7

Puddintane's picture

Stop POSTING? For a FEW DAYS?

No, please, I can read three of these a day, I really can.
Post at least one a day, please. I love the story.

- Moni

--
It's a girl's world; we just let boys live in it.

Teddi,
There is nothing

Teddi,
There is nothing idiotic about your story telling, you are an excellent writer and definitely keep the reader engaged. Love the way you have Lucy's Mom and Sister working with her and especially how all the neighbors or people they know just believe Lucy was always around even tho it was Charley. J-Lynn

Mom's Boot Camp :)

She'd make a great drill sargeant.
May Your Light Forever Shine

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I usually leave a clever remark with a nice picture

Andrea Lena's picture

...not today...I just am so upset that Teddi is gone. I didn't know her, and I'm sitting in the library trying so hard not to cry over the senseless loss of her talent, but even more so the special sweet and kind person she was to me, if only so briefly. It's not fair. And I'm losing the battle against the tears. Thanks for bringing this back...It is sweet and special and wonderful.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I'm even sorrier...

NoraAdrienne's picture

that Teddi has left us. I am privy to what would have come out in Book 2 of this series. The importance of Lucy's name and it's true connection to the General and his lovely wife. I hope that Renae is able to get the rest of the stories sorted out. I have 3 or 4 unreleased teasers on my hard drive which I hope I will see the conclusion to.

I am so glad

ALISON
'to be able to catch up on the writings of this charming
lady and to share the depth of feeling that she has for
Lucy and her family----even the dog!!Thank you for reposting this classic tale(which I'm sure it will be).
ALISON

ALISON

Lucy's Mom

Reminds me of Seasons House Aunt Jane. Maybe Lucy should visit her for pointers.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Parental Lessons

terrynaut's picture

I wish I had a chance to learn such things from my mother. But I was raised as one of "them." You know the type. I learned a few things from my mother, like some basic table manners, but most of things that my parents thought were really important I learned from my stepfather. He tried to teach me all of those "man" things, like belching and farting, but my heart just wasn't in it. *giggle*

This was more of a filler chapter. Lucy needs the education (and the shopping!) to stay alive, but nothing much really happened. Still, I like it. I'm watching Lucy for traces of Teddi so I'll keep reading.

THANKS, TEDDI, WHEREVER YOU MAY BE IN THE GREAT BEYOND! *sigh*

- Terry

Movies tapes

In the time frame you are placing this wonderful adventure in dvd's and rental movies were not yet in existence