Sarah Carerra - 1.10 - Win a Dinner Date With Sarah Carerra

Printer-friendly version
My heart started to beat really fast then. I couldn't go over to his house dressed like a girl! Johnny would see right through the disguise immediately!
Sarah Carerra
Chapter 10 - Win a Dinner Date With Sarah Carerra
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2009 Megan Campbell
Released: November 30, 2009

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from Istockphoto.com . ~Sephrena

Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Chapter 10 - Win a Dinner Date With Sarah Carerra

Scott caught us before we left the building, and he looked anxious.

"Before you go," he addressed me. "I'd like to invite you and your parents over to my house for dinner. Would you be willing to come?"

My heart started to beat really fast then. I couldn't go over to his house dressed like a girl! Johnny would see right through the disguise immediately!

Scott noticed my distress, and he looked guilty at the request. "I'm sorry," he said surprising me. "I told my wife about you, because we don't keep secrets from each other, and she wanted to meet you."

I think I was hyperventilating now too! Didn't my dad make him sign one of those non-disclosure thingies? Why would he tell someone else, even if it was his wife?

"You don't have to come if you don't want to," he said. "I'm sorry I asked."

He looked positively distraught now. I'd never seen him act like that before. He'd always been so calm, collected, and in control of the situation.

"We'd love to come," I heard Dad say, nearly giving me a heart attack. Didn't he know the dangers involved with agreeing? "What time?"

"Is 7:30 too late for you?" Scott said feeling relieved despite my continued distress.

"No, that would work for us," my dad replied, finalizing my doom.

"Is..." I started, and the two grownups immediately looked back at me, surprised I was still in distress apparently. "Is Johnny going to be there?"

A look of understanding seemed to pass between both of them at the same time. Finally they understood the real problem with this situation.

"No," Scott finally said, and my heart finally started to slow. "He's got a date tonight, and probably won't come home until later in the evening."

I sat down on one of the nearby benches, trying to catch my breath. Scott made some excuse to leave and said he would see us later that evening.

*  *  *

"But why would he tell his wife?" I practically yelled the question at my dad. We were driving around town, trying to pass the time we had before the photo shoot.

"Honey," he said in a tone that stated I didn't understand. "When you're older and find a husband, you'll understand why keeping a secret from each other is a bad idea."

I choked at those words. The last thing I expected my father to talk to me about was a future husband! He immediately realized what he had said, and he turned red. I mean, I've never seen my dad that color except for that one time when my brother broke his 9-iron.

"I'm sorry," he said a while later. "It's so hard to remember that you aren't really my little girl."

"Why?" I asked him. I was sincerely interested in his answer.

He struggled to find the words for a few minutes. We sat in silence. I was willing to let him find the right answer, and I didn't want to rush him.

"You're so good at it," he finally said. "I mean, it's almost like you've always been a girl. Every time you dress up it's like this. It's been so hard trying to treat you like my son, even when you were living as a boy."

His statement really floored me! He thought of me as his daughter too? First Mom confessed that thought to me on our way to the salon Monday night, and now Dad was doing the same thing! Was I really a girl already? I was starting to wish that this was one of the weeks I was supposed to see Mary.

Struggling with this new information, I tried to get back to the original discussion. "But this was a business secret. It wouldn't have anything to do with his marriage."

My dad just stared at me again with that face that said I didn't understand.

*  *  *

There was a crowd at the entrance to the building where the photo shoot was set to take place. It looked like they had a lot of cameras and were waiting for somebody.

"Uh, oh," Dad said as he pulled the car into a parking spot. "Paparazzi."

"Paparazzi!?" I freaked. "Why would they be here?"

"It's not likely they're here for you," Dad said, which is exactly what I was hoping to hear. "But that doesn't mean they won't jump at the chance to get your picture."

I was very uncomfortable walking towards the entrance with my dad. I didn't think I was ready for this kind of attention.

Someone eventually noticed us, and then they all turned towards us. A couple of flashes went off, making me even more nervous.

"Don! Who's your new client?" I heard one of them yell. Luckily my dad just smiled and led me through the crowd, flashes going off left and right.

"She's so green!" someone else commented when I flinched at another flash. "She'll never last in this industry." There was a lot of laughter following that statement.

Eventually we made it inside the building without much hassle. I was still nervous while we walked towards the elevator, expecting another one to pop out of some hiding place to get another picture.

The photo shoot went a lot better after that. It was short. The label wanted to use the outfit that Julia had picked out for me this morning, and within a half hour they had all the shots they felt they needed to get my name out. Max told me that we would do a more comprehensive set later this week or early next week to create a full press kit, whatever that was.

Whoever the paparazzi had been waiting for must have left during the shoot, because nobody was outside when we exited the building. Soon we were on our way home, and the only thing left to worry about was dinner at the Crawford's.

*  *  *

I was in my room doing homework when I heard the doorbell ring. I wasn't expecting anyone so I left it for someone else to get. I was still dressed as Sarah, since we would be heading for dinner soon.

"Megan," I heard my mom say from my door a short while later. "Emily and Ethan are here to see you."

‘Of course the freak out part of this day isn't over,’ I thought when I felt my heart start pounding again. Then I realized that they weren't there with Mom. It was odd that she hadn't told my friends to come on back to my room, but my mom is a smart woman.

"Can you help me?" I quickly asked, removing the "glam" so to speak. Mom nodded and as soon as I had the vest and belt off, she helped remove the wig and let my hair down. I'd have to put it all on again soon, but at least the secret would be safe.

Mom took the wig and the clothes to Sarah's room while I nervously approached the living room where they were waiting. When they saw me, both of their eyes widened.

"Wow!" Emily said first, followed quickly by Ethan's nod. "You look even better than your photo!"

"And hotter," Ethan added. Emily hit him before I got the chance.

I smiled at their compliments, and I was happy to note that I wasn't blushing for once. Maybe I was starting to get used to this? I didn’t know for sure.

"Tell us about your day!" Emily said, dragging me to a seat on the couch.

"Well," I started, not sure how much I could tell them. "It's been pretty interesting. I met with that image consultant this morning, she gave me these clothes, and then we went over to the record company. I signed a contract!"

Emily shrieked and wrapped me in a hug. "That's so awesome!" she said. "When are you going to be on the radio?"

I almost said they were trying to get me on the radio next week, but realized I couldn't tell them that. Sarah was getting on the radio next week. Megan would probably never be on the radio.

"I don't know," I explained. "They liked my voice, but they said it could be a couple of months before I was ready." I didn't like lying to my friends. Hopefully this would explain why I wasn’t getting a song anytime soon.

"Bummer," Ethan said. "It would have been cool to hear someone I know."

"Soon enough," I said, trying to give them hope.

"Did you meet anybody famous?" Emily asked, and when I thought of Daren I knew I wouldn't get away with not telling her.

"Yeah," I said, but she already knew the answer from my facial expression. "I met Daren Stockard at lunch! He's so hot."

Emily and Ethan were staring at me in shock. What had I said? I replayed my words in my mind but didn't know what had set them off.

"Hot?" Ethan asked looking sick.

Oops. "Well, uh," I said, but didn't know how to explain my feelings. I hadn't even realized that I thought he was hot until that moment. Why would I even think a guy was hot? I was supposed to be looking at girls. Instead, I was sitting there dressed as a girl. It was starting to get confusing.

I shrugged. I couldn't come up with an explanation that made sense. Ethan didn't seem to like that reaction, making a face that showed his disgust to where my life seemed to be headed.

"Sorry," I told him. I don't think it helped though. But I did have a sudden thought that might help him turn his feelings around.

"I also met Sarah Carerra," I told them. They looked at me blankly though.

"Who?" they said in almost unison.

"She's another up and comer. They signed her a while ago and her first single is supposed to be on the radio next week." I hoped that my lie would help distance myself from Sarah and provide some relief to Ethan. "She was also very hot."

That brightened his face. Nothing like a hot girl to take your mind off your troubles.

"How old is she," Emily asked, and Ethan gave her a look saying 'why should it matter?'

"She's our age," I told her. "She's a beautiful blonde girl who looks kind of like Hannah Montana."

Ethan seemed to be already smitten, even though he hadn't even met or seen her. I hoped this plan didn't backfire.

We talked about my day for a few more minutes. I left out the part about recording a song or the photo shoot, so it wasn't nearly as exciting as what had really happened.

"What are you doing tonight?" Emily eventually asked when I had described everything I could.

"I have to go over to the Crawfords for dinner," I said glumly. I would much rather hang out with them and do something fun.

"Why?" Ethan asked.

"His dad invited us. He told his wife about my secret," I said with a frown. "She wants to meet me."

Emily looked horrified at this announcement, and I certainly agreed with her feelings.

"Scott promised me that Johnny wouldn't be there, at least. I'd hate to think about what would happen if he saw me dressed as Megan."

They both nodded.

*  *  *

Later that evening we were walking up the walk to the Crawfords door. Even though they knew my secret, or maybe because they knew it, I was really, really nervous. At least I had both of my parents with me this time.

Dad rang the doorbell, and moments later Scott answered the door.

"Sarah!" he greeted me. "I'm so glad you could make it!"

He let us in and gave us a brief tour of the first floor, of which I had already seen. Then he led us into the dining room, where his wife was finishing the final touches on the food.

"Honey, are you ready?" he asked her when we entered.

"Almost," she said, but turned around to greet us.

Scott turned back to me. "Sarah, this is my wife Connie. Connie, this is Sarah Carerra, her agent Don Campbell, and his wife Linda."

"Pleased to meet you, ma'am," I said, taking the hand she offered me in greeting.

"The pleasure is mine," she said with a wink. "You look absolutely stunning."

Well, I guess I wasn't completely over my blushing ordeal. I could feel the heat rising once again.

"I'm sorry," she said seeing my embarrassment. "But you aren't anything like I pictured you would be."

I guess she wanted me to wear the blush all night.

*  *  *

The meal was very good. Johnny's little sister Kaitlin joined us, and even though I wasn't a star yet, I think she became my biggest fan. Scott talked me into singing part of Intuition for them, and everybody seemed to be impressed with my singing abilities.

But the scariest part of the night occurred while we were getting ready to leave. I was standing near the front door, waiting for my dad to finish talking to Scott, my mom to finish talking to Connie, and me wishing that Kaitlin had an earlier bedtime.

The front door suddenly flew open, and Johnny stepped inside. We were staring at each other face to face for a few moments. I was scared for my life! He was going to see right through the Sarah disguise and beat me to death!

But instead, he seemed to be looking at me with lust! That was even worse!

"Hi," he finally said, finding his voice first.

"Hi," I was able to return shyly. I was blushing once again, and at the worst possible time! I was sure he was going to misinterpret it as a wrong signal.

"Dad didn't say he was having anyone as beautiful as you over tonight," he said, glaring at his father behind me before returning to my eyes with a sweetness I didn't fully trust. I didn't think Debbie, who was his current girlfriend, would be too happy about what he was doing.

"Johnny," his dad said in a tone that seemed to be both greeting and warning. "We didn't expect you home so soon."

There was anger in his eyes now. No doubt he was feeling left out of the dinner party. "Debbie and I had a fight," he said, which didn't bode well for me.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Scott said. "If you'd step out of the way our guests were just leaving."

The anxiousness in his voice led me to believe that he was worried about Johnny learning my secret also. No doubt it would be bad for my career, but I hoped that there was more to his anxiousness than that.

Johnny, unfortunately, stood his ground. Extending his hand, he introduced himself. "I'm Johnny."

Not knowing what else to do, I took his hand. "Sarah," was all I managed.

He grinned at me lustfully, and I was surprised at how open he was in his gaze with his parents standing right behind me. It really made me feel like a piece of meat, more than any of the other admiring looks I had received throughout the day. I could deal with those, and had when dressing up as Megan before, but this was something else entirely.

"We better get going," Dad said while stepping forward, saving me from whatever Johnny had planned. "Ms. Carerra has had a long day, and I'm sure she's ready to call it a night."

I nodded, hoping it would help his story, and he managed to get between Johnny and me, breaking whatever tractor beam he seemed to have me in. I took a deep breath and stepped around my dad, who was acting as a shield between me and Johnny, and through the front door.

My parents were quick to follow, and the door shut right behind us. The arguing that started immediately on the other side was more than I wanted to worry about and I thought I could hear a young girl singing "Johnny and Sarah, sitting in a tree.”

*  *  *

"He definitely didn't recognize you," Mom told me after we had gotten into the car and were on our way home. I had to give her that point.

"Maybe for now, but I have a feeling this isn't the last I've seen of him."

"That may be true," Mom said. She was sitting in the back with me instead of her usual seat up front, wrapping me in a warm hug. I didn't realize until recently just how comforting a hug could be. "But you look a lot different as Sarah, which is the whole point, you know. He may never make the connection."

I could only hope.

I fell asleep that night worrying about the upcoming day of school. Between my pierced ears, the girly haircut, my new French tips, and now the encounter with Johnny, I didn't know how I was going to survive.

*  *  *

Chapter 11 - Boy or Girl? That is the Question.
Coming Soon...
up
273 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's difficult enough to be two people in story like this

Andrea Lena's picture

...how hard must it be for her to be three? I love the fact that she has her dad's support. This is becoming a immediate-must-read for me, as soon as I log on! Thanks again for a great story!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I agree with Andrea

and I will echo what she said. If that is alright?

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Confusion

The problem with reading two simultaneous stories about teen singers is that it makes it all the easier to forget details... like who Johnny is! I had to skip back a few chapters to remind myself of that - as well as the circumstances of Brett/Megan/Sarah's accident.

I also occasionally have to remind myself that it's Mike / Michelle from "Band" who's advertising tampons, being stalked by a teen Hollywood star and has a resentful brother called John (who you'd better not ask to play William Tell...). Currently spending a few months away from friends (including Kayla who helped craft Michelle) in Hollywood.

Meanwhile Brett / Megan / Sarah is solo and somehow has to maintain three separate identities (and hopefully will be able to let Emily and Ethan in on the secret eventually) - not helped when still living at home!

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Yeah, and then there's 12 string

Diesel Driver's picture

I only found this story from the references by Fairiemage during her "12 String" story. I've read "I'm with the band" but it's been a long time and with my poor memory I don't remember who "Johny" is so I'll have to go back and skim the previous chapters and find it too.

Chris in CA

Chris

things are getting complicated

laika's picture

.....in this story and I like it! Megan having to juggle her triple identity- Brett to everyone at school, Megan but not yet Sarah to her best friends, and now both Brett and Sarah to this boy Johnny. Her first rather rude encounter ("Who's she? Oh nobody...") with the paparazzi seems a taste of media craziness to come, that with celebrity will come a lot of things she'll have to do differently (be great if on her UK promotional tour she could meet Football Girl Sue Hurston & swap notes on being famous...). Ethan is clearly not digging all the changes in this friend who he's used to relating to as a guy, and hopefully will be able to be comfortable around Megan/Sarah, getting past all that "does this make me gay?" crap regarding his attraction to her. He may in fact get way past that, which would be nice if it was reciprocal on her part. I've peeked at the next chapter and am pleased to see things getting even more complicated, with a character turning into a villian of sorts, or at least a real potential problem for Sarah/Megan/Brett. Fun story!
~~~hugs, Laika.

Yep

Good job she is already in disguise already. However, she has to make sure her wig stays on good and tight ( fans can get kinda pushy ya know. )

However, the wig thing is the least of her worries. Once she is under the glare of the publicity machine, she will have to confabulate a biography for herself like a lot of girls trying to to stealth have to do. At least she is not deep stealth which is onerous to say the least.

The main problem is she will be asked stuff about school and social life and stuff. Luckily she has very little history but what happens when the biography hounds come snooping ? If she stonewalls, it will only make them dig that much harder for the 411 on this hot rising star.

Kim

Days of our lives

ALISON
'but nothing has ever got me in like this story.I just
love it and haven't been having sneaky looks elsewhere,
and I won't pass on the clue we share.Thank you,Megan.
Love and best wishes,Alison.

ALISON

Sarah Carerra-10

Brett has a lot on his plate, now. It will be very interesting to see him struggle to keep his separate selves separated.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Curiouser...

Angharad's picture

And curiouser, said Alice.

Angharad