Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chap. 21/34

Printer-friendly version

Air Force Sweetheart
TacPzlSolGp
Chapter 21/34

by T. D. Aldoennetti

previously:

I walk to the door and out with my thoughts swirling around me. I don’t remember finding the car, nor riding back to the BOQ, but somehow I realize that I’m back in my room searching for those few tampons I tucked away from when Mom, Sis and I went out to supper and dancing. That’s it, they’re in that purse….

Finally, I have one in my hand and, after some trial and error, manage to insert it. I clean up and go back to bed to sleep for the two hours remaining to me.

Dreams assail me in the form of tiny kicks against my tummy from within. When I wake up during the night, I find that my hand is cradling my tummy, as if feeling for something which I wish were there even now. I go back to sleep with a smile on my face.


Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf by T D Aldoennetti on Sat, 2008/11/08 - 6:32am, Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chapter 21 is revised and reposted on Sat, 2010/01/09 - 10:42 PM. ~Sephrena


 

Teaching the Children (I mean the instructors):

 

Chapter 21

 

The next morning, that Major’s conversation still rankles me. I know that at least some of the instructors who are in my class are likely to be a part of this attempt to cut back the scope and reach of the class. I think Monday the school commander and I will have to have a little discussion. No, wait… I have a better idea.

-o~O~o-

Monday, I’m in full uniform. I eat my breakfast — it’s better every day, by the way — and ride the half mile to the school. There, my materials are waiting in the labs for distribution to those who wish to learn. I turn and walk down the hallway to the lecture hall. Upon entering, I see a few students are already seated. The moment I enter, they go silent and stand.

I turn to them and say, “Remember what I said on Saturday? Sit down. There’s no rank in my classes, at least none that the students need to concern themselves about.”

They look at each other, and at my uniform, and then quietly drop back into their seats.

I place my things on the table and turn to the chalkboard. The next ten minutes are spent placing my notes upon the board and then the screen drops covering the information as I turn back to find that most of my students have arrived and are seated.

They did so quietly, since they were able to see an officer writing at the chalkboard but they apparently didn’t recognize me, since my hair is up and I’m in uniform today.

I wait until it’s time for the class to begin.

“As many of you are aware. The methods I am teaching here are quite different from those which you have been taught during the previous classes. There’s a reason for that. The previous curriculum prepared you for the interesting and difficult job of intelligence analysis and gave you a large assortment of tactical skills that you’ll absolutely require in your job. What I am teaching you now is how to know the difference between enemy-provided diversions and the real information which you’ll need in order to save the lives of the thousands of soldiers entrusted to your hands through the accuracy and strategic presentation of your analysis.”

I pause to let that sink in and then say it again in a different manner, “Any mistake can result in hundreds or thousands of deaths on our side rather than that of the enemy, and not discovering or doing what needs to be discovered or done is also a mistake. I’m going to teach you how to detect holes in the Intel provided to you, and to plug those holes — as much as possible — through the use of information which you’ve learned through careful observation of enemy actions over the course of many months or even years. How you understand the enemy makes all the difference. Each little piece of information is not something to be considered alone with a little report written about it. Each little piece is part of a bigger whole.”

“It’s like the three blind men examining an elephant. None of them sees the whole picture. It is your responsibility to see that picture and to assemble the pieces of the puzzle into a comprehensive whole. Your work may save the lives of thousands. That’s what you must learn in these few weeks we have available to us. I intend to take you right through and past the undergraduate education you’ve just finished and push you through two to four years of post-graduate work during these six weeks.”

“When I finish, you will know you have survived the most strenuous course you ever thought could exist. I am going to push you through a desert without a canteen and with no watering holes in sight. When I finish you will not be Intelligence analysts, you will be among the first of a new breed. You will be capable of producing such remarkable deductions from the information around you that even Sherlock Holmes would be proud.”

“Would the instructors please stand?”

They all look around and slowly get to their feet. I note that there are three fewer today than Saturday.

“The methods which I’m introducing here are radically different than those to which you are accustomed. If you don’t wish to use my methods while attending this class, then I would appreciate you making that decision now and leaving. I can’t afford the time to drag someone along who does not wish to learn, but I need each of you for the experience you have behind you, experience which you have proven by taking these students so far and in such a short time. Without your training, they’d have no hope of learning from or surviving in this class. Students! Would you show your appreciation of the efforts made by these instructors?”

I begin to clap my hands and quickly the students are applauding too. After a few seconds I stop and the students wind down as well.

“If there are any instructors here who feel they may best serve by preparing new students and who feel my methods are a little too drastic or extreme, you may leave my classroom with no ill will on my part, and with my sincere thanks to you for all you have done for these students. Those of you who would like to attempt to go on may stay, but be advised, the course will become rougher and rougher and the students will be relying more and more on those instructors who remain.“ I pause for a long beat, to let them think, and then continue, ”All right, those of you who wish to leave, may now do so.”

Three more instructors look around and depart. That leaves me four. Two per lab.

“Now, so you students won’t feel left out. Stand up. Now! The same applies to you. This course is going to become very difficult. Only the most unique individuals will win through to the end. There will be no shame for those who do not. This method of analysis cannot be used by just anyone. It takes a different sort of a mind to follow the convolutions and dark pathways we must explore in order to deduce the truth. Any who feel, based upon Saturday’s introduction, that it will be too much for them, may leave now and you will be processed and given assignments befitting your advanced learning. Those of you who decide to remain must realize right now that you are going to be facing the most grueling six weeks you have ever experienced short of war itself. Those of you who wish to leave may do so now without shame, and with neither comment nor scorn on the part of those who remain.”

I watch as the students shift foot to foot while standing there until here and there a few come down and begin to leave. Someone makes a derisive remark. I identify the voice from my memories and call that individual forward, inviting him to depart as well. “Pride has no place in my classroom. Pride gets my fellow soldiers killed and I won’t stand for it. Pick up your things and leave.”

He grumbles as he goes to the door, but he departs. My thirty-nine students are now thirty-four.

“All right, everyone, be seated and let’s get this show on the road. We are ten minutes behind because of this foolishness and minutes mean lives.”

I commence my lecture without hesitation as the lights dim and the notepads come out. Slides begin flickering on the screen. By the time the lecture is finished we are at the hour. We’ve regained the ten minutes.

“Everyone, take a ten minute break then report to your lab and group as shown on the chalkboard. Instructors, please come down here for a few minutes to discuss your assignments and suggestions before your break.”

I split the four remaining instructors between the two labs and explain the lab materials quickly. They are to hand out the packets and no one is to open them until commanded to do so.

“Notes may be placed on the materials and, while each student is expected to produce their own conclusions, much as was done Saturday, they may also quietly discuss their thoughts with the others of their group, but only members of their group,”

I warn them, “Secrecy is now a part of the training and anyone outside their own group is suspect. In the real world outside our classroom, the material produced by any one group may be too sensitive to be widely disseminated, nor can it be placed in juxtaposition with other information produced by other groups, because the combination would be so valuable to the enemy, if revealed in the slightest detail, even by a casual remark, and so valuable as to be both prized and sought after by groups outside the military intelligence community, that secrecy and intelligence protection is paramount. In each lab, each group will have different materials than those of any another group to replicate the situation they’ll soon find themselves in over there.” I wave vaguely west, toward Vietnam.

“Instructors may be called upon for assistance by anyone, and they may share with any and all groups their own extensive knowledge, but no information being examined by a group may be seen or discussed by or with any other group in the lab. The labs will break ten minutes before lunch and the labs will be locked during the time that everyone is to be at lunch. No one will enter a lab without the instructors present there. The students will assemble in their groups prior to entering the lab and will go directly to their own materials. All materials will be covered when not actually protected by the members of the group. All materials are to be considered Top Secret – No Forn and every other group is to be considered Foreign.”

“This is to be stressed to the students before they open the materials. At the end of the second lab period, the folder from which a student has been working will have that student’s papers inserted with the student’s name and the proper designator as shown on the sample materials listed on the work sheets. All folders will be collected and delivered to me for examination. Tomorrow, we’ll meet in the lecture hall at 0800.”

I indicate the packets of intelligence I’ll be passing out in the labs and tell them, “You’ll also find separate materials here, which are yours to evaluate and act upon. Your own papers and reports will be inserted into those folders and also given to me to examine. Any questions at the moment?”

None asked, I tell them to allow an extra five minutes for everyone’s break, since I’ve occupied that much of the instructor’s time.

Pouring myself another glass of water and drinking it down, then gathering my things, I make my way to one of the labs. There I separate the piles of materials into groups and place the instructor’s folders separately. Crossing to the other lab, I repeat my actions, removing the folders which are no longer needed because their intended recipients left us. Going to the phone in the lab, I call the department which has been preparing my materials and change the numbers needed to reflect the lost instructors and students.

No need to waste paper and man-hours. While they have me on the phone they ask when they may expect the photos for the material to be prepared for week three as they need a two day lead on those prior to printing. I tell them that at the moment I have no idea but will pursue the matter. Thanking them for their heroic efforts, I hang up.

The students and instructors are just beginning to enter this lab and after a couple of minutes observing them, I go to the other lab to see how they are progressing.

They are about par with the first. Having a little time to myself, I sit at the rear of the lab and begin to fill in the details of the outline of my lesson plan I’d outlined for the following week and the third week as well.

I hope we will be able to maintain the pace. I need week four to prepare them for the difficult challenges we will face in weeks five and six. Everyone will work together during those last two weeks to produce a group output which will comprise all perceived possibilities from the data as well as assigning percentiles of confidence to each possibility.

-o~O~o-

The past week or so has been interesting. With only two days remaining in this, our second week, we’ve lost two more students. They were good at what they do, but simply couldn’t handle the stress of this rapid pace. The pace is difficult, and some simply are not up to it. I’m beginning to believe that only my urging is causing most to continue their monumental efforts. I try to get them to understand that this hard pace in a peaceful environment is a substitute for the nerve-wrenching stress encountered while working with deadlines during combat situations.

Everyone is tired, but all are beginning to understand that they are perceiving the data in many new ways. No one derives less than three potential directions from the data they examine and they are also beginning to become more comfortable with placing their confidence level on the answers they prepare.

No one has yet had enough confidence to place higher than a 60% level on their conclusions, but that’s nearly double the level they were willing to assign less than a week ago.

-o~O~o-

The photographs for week three have finally arrived and I am in my room at the BOQ preparing the photo interpretations which would normally accompany such photographs. This will be an interesting week, as we’ll work collectively on the material.

The instructors have been briefed and are to act as the commanders of the analysis group, which will be comprised of the students. Each will have eight students going over some part of the data. Reports will be prepared by each group for use by the others. Group assignments will rotate each of the first four days allowing each group to be responsible for a different portion of the preparation each day.

The fifth and sixth days we will as a group examine the final reports filed with Command (me) and see how they differ and why. The fourth week will be much less exhausting. I hope they all make it to the fourth week.

-o~O~o-

As Friday wraps up, I decide to allow my students both Saturday and Sunday off this weekend.

“Monday we start a new approach and the week will be rough,” I tell them. “You will all report to a single lab on Monday morning and we’ll commence our work there. Both the morning lab and the afternoon lab will go for a full three hours and forty five minutes. Command requires your final report at the end of second lab.”

There are a few long blinks as the idea sinks in, but no one seems dismayed.

“All supporting documentation and photographs must accompany that report. Any dissenting views must also be presented with the support for them as well.”

I look over the bridge of my nose at them, half smiling as I explain, “Assessment levels will be attached to all final reports or views. Any assessment of less than 50% will cause that opinion to be abandoned as insufficient for Command to act upon. Have a nice week-end, ladies and gentlemen, I’m very proud of your progress.”

They are all smiles as they leave the school. When they report back to their companies they will find I have authorized 48 hour passes for them starting at 1800 today and ending Sunday at 1800. Those who don’t have weekend duty may relax and go take in a movie, or visit nearby friends, or whatever students do when they have free time.

-o~O~o-

I return to my BOQ to await my supper hour and to put finishing touches upon the ‘little unexpected requirements’ which will be made by ‘Command’ while my students are dealing with their primary assignment. There will be a sudden need for a non-related report to be produced using different materials supplied by ‘courier’ during the second lab each day, which will require reallocating assets in order to produce the second report without jeopardizing the first.

Surprise. How well do you work under pressure?

I hear other officers from the BOQ going past the door and check the time. Nearly supper. Wrapping up and locking everything in my briefcase, I go out, locking the door behind me. At supper I find the meal is again very good and hope the enlisted mess is doing as well. Later, a walk back to the BOQ — going the long way around — let’s me catch up on my exercise a little before retiring for the night. Entering the lobby, I see the young specialist has duty this weekend.

“Hi, I see you have the duty. Will you have any opportunity to use your liberty this week end?”

“No. But that’s okay, Ma’am. I don’t know anyone here so I really have nowhere to go.”

“Sorry. I know how that goes. Maybe after you finish this course, we can find you some time. We could go into town together and take in a movie or something.”

“That would be great. The city has their concert series starting in two weeks so maybe we could get tickets for a Friday night and go.”

“Give me more information about that and I’ll see what I can arrange. Is it a classical series, or perhaps popular?”

“Usually the series is classical, sometimes music selected from notable operas. No singing though.”

I laugh, “That’s fine with me, I like the music, not the singing.”

“Me too. Do you mind if I ask a question about the class, Ma’am?”

“Go ahead. The worst that can happen is that I won’t answer it.”

“I’m hearing through the rumor mill that next week we get to work with real Intel. Is that true?”

“You’ve been working with ‘real’ Intel these past two weeks,” I say.

“I know, I mean the Intel will be current stuff. Things which are happening now and which have been processed by others for use in making command decisions in the war. It’s like this is going to be our first chance to actually make decisions which might be the same as some which are being used right now. I mean, looking at the Romans invading somewhere is one thing and creating reports based on the information available to try to convince one side or the other to do something, that’s interesting but it doesn’t let us see what really happens, but real Intel from a current conflict? That’s something else again. We all relate to that.”

“I hope you ‘relate’ well enough to produce accurate conclusions and attempt to influence Command to take specific actions. That’s what this is all about. You try to make your presentation effective enough, and with enough guidance, that Command will adopt your opinions and proposed action plan with few changes. They are more aware of what changes need to be made within the confines of the troops and materiel they have available, but a good presentation includes a good battle plan, which can be quickly implemented.”

She’s very focused on my remarks, but doesn't react overtly, an excellent habit for an analyst.

I continue, “That means you must not only know the enemy’s resources, you must know your own. The purpose of your reports isn’t to summarize the information. Command could do that without your help. Your function is to give them action options, coupled with a confidence in the successful outcome of those actions. You’ll have to out-think the enemy, and tell Command exactly what you expect the enemy will do when confronted by your proposed action plan.”

“Everything which has been done these past two weeks has simply been analysis. Now it’s time to move to the next level and start telling Command what they need to do, how they need to do it, when it must occur, and why they should proceed on the path you outline rather than what someone else recommends.”

“Your plan must take in all contingencies, yet be concise and explicit. It's a difficult job, as you all are about to learn.”

“Yes, Ma’am. This is an interesting course.”

“I do believe you said that once before. Perhaps the first Saturday the course began?”

She smiles, “Yes, Ma’am, I do believe you’re right.”

“Good night, Specialist.”

“Goodnight, Ma’am. Thanks for talking with me.”

I wave as I enter the hallway leading to my room. Inside, I turn the TV on low and dial the local CBS affiliate, so I can watch Walter Cronkite when the CBS Evening News comes on.

I’m in the middle of my own action plan for the fifth and sixth weeks when the news comes on. Midway through, I become fed up with the banter and shut off the TV. I need to be back over there putting in my own two cents worth.

Four of these students are good, really good. If they make it through the fifth and sixth weeks in the way I hope they will, then they could readily influence the ongoing conflict. Then again, we have need of skilled analysts in our European theater too. The entire class has been responding well to the challenges put before them.

Monday should be interesting, to say the least.

-o~O~o-

“…Each group is responsible to its Officer in Charge,” I say to them. “These officers will assist and guide their group, making decisions when necessary or requested. The task of each group will change every day, so you’ll all have the opportunity to participate in each phase of the process. One group will be preparing the synopsis of the photo-recon information.” I indicate one of the piles of folders arrayed on the tables before each group. “This will be passed to your supervising officer who will send it on to the analysts responsible for the final report. You will be prepared to answer any questions which are passed back from them.”

I point to another group of folders on another table. “Another group will be processing the raw intelligence which has been obtained from the field. The same conditions apply. The third group,” I designate another stack, “will track enemy supply movements and develop an estimate of the amount of supplies being transported, the suspected collection point or points, recommended actions to halt those movements and destroy the supplies, as well as deciding if the supply quantities are greater or less than normal and if so, why? Again this information will be passed to the last group which is responsible for the actual preparation of the Command report and action recommendations.

I point to each group in turn. “Whichever group is fourth each day will have the responsibility of developing battle plans based upon all the data supplied taking into account the reports and recommendations of the other three groups. Those first three groups will provide that fourth group with percentile estimates of the likelihood of any one action path in order to allow the fourth group to prepare the best possible plans. Please note that I said plans, not plan, and the probability of their success. The third group is also responsible for tracking enemy troop movements, whenever possible, and all groups are responsible for updating the decision group with any material or information which comes in after the initial recommendations have occurred.”

I now address the groups as a coöperating whole, changing my tone a little to stress the importance of what I’m about to say. “It’s not uncommon in the field to find that your best laid plans are suddenly trashed, due to a change in enemy activities, or to new intelligence. As it is a waste of resources or, worse, the danger of potential casualties, when these exigencies occur, they must be taken into account and the decision group notified immediately if Intel dictates a change.”

“The information with which you are dealing this week is to be considered ‘Top Secret – No Forn.’ Go to your areas and prepare to begin at 0810. Good luck.”

“We’ll need it,” someone says quietly.

I let it slide.

The students are looking at the closed packets on the lab tables before them as the instructors suddenly tell them to begin. I walk to the back of the room and sit down. I have a number of command decisions to make regarding our present action plans, and it is now up to the teams quietly working in the lab to alert me to any necessary changes. I think about the computer lab at college and wish they were capable of simulations. That would mean they’d need to be able to do far more than just add and subtract, so I doubt they will ever allow us that luxury. If they could do the make-believe things we see in movies, it would certainly be a help, though.

The clock is just passing 1000. The first monkey wrench should be arriving any time…. Yes, here it is.

A ‘courier’ arrives with updated photo information from recon and hands it over to the OIC of that department after noticing the departmental labels on the tables.

The students look up as the instructor tells them they have just received the latest photo recon information and then they all glance in my direction with questions in their eyes, as I pointedly ignore them, before they quickly turn to and attack this new data. Forty-five minutes later, a second ‘courier’ arrives, going to the intelligence table with updated field information and the notification of the loss of one of our patrols, which had gone out to check on a peaceful village that had reported heavy enemy activity during the past 24 hours. He also stops and delivers updates concerning the movement of enemy supplies across the Cambodian border into Nam.

The students are doing quite well. The change from static information — such as they had the past two weeks — into something much more dynamic, has taken them off guard, but they’ve responded quickly and, after examining the information, they have begun to alter their concept of what must be done and are updating their assessments. One group has requested a map of the southern portion of Vietnam showing bordering country information as well.

Their OIC tells them to put the request into writing and he will pass it on through channels. They quickly draft their needs and he gives it to the OIC of the decision group. That OIC reviews and approves it and it is passed up the chain to the Command structure (me). I place a phone call and in ten minutes the map arrives and filters back down the chain to the requesting group who look at it like it is a treasure they never expected to receive. Within minutes I have three more requests for maps. Ten minutes later, those requests are filled.

I think they are beginning to understand that they can request supplies or materials to assist them in their efforts. Various other requests come through such as coffee and pencils. I disapprove them, marking them to be requested from Mess or Supply, not from Command. In a few moments, there are chuckles as they read the replies. They are beginning to enjoy the exercise. At 1145 they are instructed to ‘lock all materials in the safe’ (put them back into the folders) and to prepare for lunch break. We all file out for lunch and the two doors to the lab are locked.

Upon returning from lunch, I quickly have a request from the group processing the photo reconnaissance information for updates pertaining to a specific region. I send back a reply that a photo recon aircraft has been tasked and the information will be available shortly after it returns. They obviously have been discussing their needs while at lunch in possible violation of the Top Secret – No Forn regulations. I make a notation in my log for the discussions of Friday and Saturday.

Updated photographs and interpretations arrive about 1400, just five minutes before command sends down a request for a priority analysis of some new information concerning another subject which has been included with the request.

This takes them about five minutes to decide how they will handle the request.

Each group allocates a couple of individuals to take on this new assignment while the bulk remain at the previous assignment. It only takes ten or fifteen minutes for them to discover the new information also is pertinent to the previous assignment. Surprise!

The new assignment is completed by 1610 and is forwarded back up to Command. The clock is ticking and at 1612 more new Intel arrives for inclusion into their primary report. They prepare updates and forward them up to the decision group who prepares a paper with new alternatives superceding the original which was moments from being sent to command.

By 1646, the final report finds its way through the bureaucracy of the Command structure and arrives at headquarters for Command examination. Several folders of supporting documents and photos accompany the report.

“That’s cutting it a bit fine, groups,” I tell them. “All right, clean up all information still on the tables and place it into the burn bags. If you forgot to include something in the report, it’s too late now.”

They take everything and clean up the lab. The instructors remove the maps and fold them for inclusion in the bags. We have three bags of trash to be burned.

The students are dismissed for supper and the burn bags are taken down to the incinerator. The instructors and I make our way out of the school, chatting about the students and the confusion which momentarily surfaced each time something unexpected arrived. We alter tomorrow’s group assignments and separate. This first day of the third week is something the students are unlikely to forget.


 

1996_pcc.jpg To Be Continued….

 

 

 

© 2008, 2009 by T D Aldoennetti & Rénae Dúmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the Author (copyright holder) or her assigned representative. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. An Aldoennetti Original.

 

 

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Original comments to this story

Puddintane's picture

Hello Everyone...... I'm almost back...

She said with an evil snicker in her eye...

They want me to rest for a couple of weeks while they decide if they are going to go through with this earth shaking event or not. In the meantime they have totally changed my meds to see if that helps...

My new Doctor has said she feels the heart is doing okay, so they are all up in the air as to exactly what is knocking me out every so often. I may wind up with this machine recording my heart as I sit and wander around for a week... I'm seriously considering taking a bath and accidentally dropping it in the tub.

Any way, just as a precaution the story went out to Erin via Priority Mail. She should have it soon and if her WordPerfect program is able to read it then the remaining chapters are guaranteed to be placed if I should do something totally ludicrous.

I vaguely remember I was leaving a comment for someone on the BC mail when I became very dizzy. Sorry if that communique caused any distress.

After a short ride in one of those rambling golf carts with the red lights and siren attached, we found I was simply over-medicated. Someone misread my Doctor's prescribed dosage and doubled it. Instead of ½ of a 50 mg tablet twice a day I was instructed to take a full 50 mg tablet twice a day and my blood pressure dropped a little wee bit too far...

I vaguely recall saying something about being dizzy in my mail and the very next thing I discerned was this terrible racket and bouncing along down the streets and into an emergency room. It might have been a bit easier on me if I had simply taken a taxi.

Oh, Dear Terry... Once they figure out what they are going to do with me, I want to communicate with you privately concerns your stories... Let's see where we may take them... As I said, you show great promise. Please let me know how long you have been writing (that you allowed people to read). It has taken me some... Let us say more than 20, well... Okay more than 30... No I will not date myself further... Years to come from a simple setting of a storyline to almost fleshing it out so anyone may read the story and appreciate my "quirkiness"... Couldn't we just say I'm weird???

Anyway, God Bless You all and I'll place one chapter tomorrow after I rest a bit. This last week has been a little traumatic for me. They want me to give up writing for a while and I told them that was like telling me to go to the dentist every day. Once it's in the blood... Hummmm, in the blood... Oh yes, once it's in the blood it never lets go. Start small and beat them with a big stick... NO that's not right...
Perhaps I had best just go take another nap... If my agent calls tell him I've retired...

Teddi

Quirky style???

I've had my style of writing called many things ranging from, "mad ravings of a babbling lunatic" to "an adventure in the sublime". Where, pray tell, does quirky fit in??? I may have been raised in the US of A but I still have difficulty with many of it's more adventurous descriptive terms.

Thank you, no offense intended or taken... Teddi

Great To Hear From You!

Hi Teddi,

I am glad you are resting comfortably. I will keep my fingers crossed that the new meds work. You are exactly right about writing being in the blood. There are some days where I get inspired and I keep writing for hours while the inspiration is there. If I stop to take a break, I might lose what I had and not get back to it for days. Anyway, I enjoyed how Lucy is letting everyone know that she is in charge and having the guts to stand firm on it.

Hugs,

Jen

I keep writing for hours...

That was the reason the Doctors wanted me to quit writing... Some days I was putting in 17 to 18 hours...
If they want me to stop "cold turkey" then they better get out the tranquilizers because "sometins gotta give".

Hopefully you are a bit younger than I and are more able to keep up the pace. Seems to me I remember when I was in my twenties and two days of writing was not uncommon... Of course I also remember tearing up pages of material that I had written because it did not reflect what I originally intended. Again something along the line of my character going right while I am going left.

I still have a contract to produce some 40 or so chapters and then I'm free and clear. At that point I may be able to continue my Tranquility and Air Force Sweetheart series and place them on the site for reading.

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: WHILE I AM PLACING THESE CHAPTERS OUT FOR YOU TO READ, I DO STILL HOLD COPYRIGHT. Please ask before downloading.

Anyway........... GOD BLESS US, EACH AND EVERY ONE!

Teddi

No Worries.

This is an amazingly small community and it will not take long to figure out if somebody had dared to rip you off. Since you are using your real name ( I assume ) it makes it doubly difficult for some ne'er do well to try something.

I am glad you are guardedly hopeful about your condition and the improvement thereof.

Kim

NOFORN

NOFORN Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals/Governments/Non-US Citizens (US government classification control)

Just so everyone understands

It has just been pointed out to me...

That I am using military terms that may not be understood by a number of my readers.

Sorry, I tend to get deeply involved and forget a lot of people out there don't know the verbage.

Everyone NO FORN = basically is saying that the material so marked may not be viewed by "Foreign Nationals" that is anyone not of the US military and who may be present in the country within which (or without which) we are operating.

EYES ONLY = Essentially means that the material is restricted for viewing by the individual or group within our military complex who have absolute "need to know" about the material contained within the folder and upon the pages so marked EYES ONLY.

Thank you for the reminder... My stories tend to get wrapped up in me and I forget there are many out there who look at the stuff and scratch their heads... Sort of like my strange use of TacPzlSolGp as the book title. Believe it or not there were a few who figured it out and messaged me. I'm certain others did too but I've found the military types tend not to say much... Hell (excuse me please) I never used to say much and now no one can shut me up... I'm still wondering if that's good or if that's bad...

Oh well, some day I'll ask Lucy what she thinks. On second thought...

God Bless You
Teddi

Damn and my definition is so much more, tittilating

NO FORN, means sexual congress in not permitted?

You should see all the acronyms we use in banking, many are the names of various acts of Congress or regulations of the Federal Reserve System that banks must abide by.

Our heroine is really coming of age as she discovers her femininity. She will not be a weak subservient person, something the so far absent and if first impressions were correct, less than gentlemanly *husband* will learn to his peril.

I pity her children, this future mom will be a hellion but her intel students will have learned from a mistress of the game. Um, where did the nasty officer disappear to, the one that criminally assaulted her? Was he fragged? Or gulp, transferred to Cleveland?

What of the relay Lucy? Where is she and will she prove a problem or asset in this game of espionage our heroine Lisa will soon be up to her wig in? Love how she handled the students. Some of those instructors and students won’t last long in intel will they? But her graduate will be at minimum competent and four or so may be real gems and save many lives in future.

I say, unless he shapes up fast, dump the officer and promote that cook as her husband.

Um, unless after the mission, she divorced Mr. Slimy and reunites with the classy chef? In any case they are proof not all officers are gentlemen and vica versa.

John in Wauwatosa

NOFORN ouch... Mr. Slimy???

1) NOFORN -- wash your mind out with soap... don't forget behind your ears.

2) Mr. Slimy -- unfortunately isn't an officer so we can't latch the "Gentleman" handle onto him. In fact he isn't military at all and the reason for a "wife" selected from the military is to allow the military intelligence community the opportunity to do two things...

a) take this chance to obtain some useful Intel for inclusion into the apparatus and,
b) to keep an eye on the operations which are being conducted by this other group.

The premise is that Lucy is not aware that is what the higher ups are looking for... That way she can't 'spill the beans' although she does seem to be good at it... More like squash them I think...

And she is NOT an operative, she is an Analyst and is good at it. So spy she's not, but still when you trip over intelligence material, you tend to remember it and pass it along appropriately. For this reason she makes mistakes such as letting the French know she speaks French.

Oh and the real Lucy... Sorry they never meet up but Uncle Phillip and Aunt Julie are probably just as happy.
As to the wig, that really wasn't her first choice but she needed to have longer hair and it takes too long to grow.

I never spell any of these things out in the story because they are just a few more of those "little" things I have injected to make everyone think... What would you do if??? Now, Now, control & decorum... YOU WIPE THOSE THOUGHTS RIGHT OUT OF YOUR MIND. Now go write "I will control my thoughts", two hundred times. The very idea.

Now don't everyone start running off looking for clues... I didn't put that many in there and you collectively seem to be doing quite well at finding them. The idea here is to get your subconcious working overtime to look for answers.

You didn't know you were in Lucy's class of analysts did you?

This is the soft sell, wait until we hit you with the hard one...

Lucy? A hellion??? Now whatever makes you think that, the very idea... Besides they are more politely called "tomboys".
Actually Lucy would be a very loving mother as she wants a family and if you recall she is very interested in being able to raise her daughters properly. This is not a vindictive thing, she has a serious need to be motherly.

Transferred to Cleveland, now that's an idea. Wish I'd thought of that... Maybe even the Bronx... Down by the zoo... or in it. Could put a sign on the cage and I'm certain those who live in the area would have a few things to say or do which would make him regret his actions.
I, however, don't know what happened to him, he vanished during the convalesence... I was hoping for the North or South pole maybe counting seals or something but don't actually know.

The instructors and students that don't make it... well, we all have a role to play and they might be okay in situations which don't have such an immediate and final solution.

What I'm concerned about is her wig turning grey from stress... Oh, that can't happen??? Are you certain??? Oh well, what do I know???

Thank you so much for this little chat but I'm becoming very tired again so I think I'll tottle off to sleep some more.

God Bless You

Teddi

Sorry about the typos and the NO FORN but ...

how can you leave us straightlines like that and not expect us ex-Boy Scout types not to pounce like the permanent 13yr old perverts we are?

Get well, mind your doctors, ask them lots of questions and keep writing, in that order.

John in Wauwatosa

U*A

U*A, when I worked in that field, was how we marked gathered intelligence that could not be shared, even with our allies since HOW we got it was through spying that broke various treaties. This was a higher restriction than NO FORN, I think. NO FORN covered our own secrets, U*A covered other people's secrets that we had learned through methods we couldn't admit to. How we learned it would have been NO FORN, but what we learned was U*A.

Anything that was U*A was also TOP SECRET. Even after 35 years, I can't bring myself to use the actual name of the classification which was leaked by a Congressman long ago and so has probably been replaced. U*A was not the actual mark we used, I've just used that as a substitute here.

There was a lesser grade of U*A marked S*E and SECRET. The existence of the U*A classification was itself S*E and the existence of S*E was SECRET. We knew, though we weren't supposed to, of a higher grade of classification called K*O and another still higher one, but off to the side, that is, not related to intelligence-gathering, which might be called Q*T but wasn't. :)

All the stuff I knew then has had it's classification expired by law back in the eighties but it's still weird to talk about it or read about it.

Being a spy, at least for me, mostly involved moving paper around and making sure it had been marked properly and ended up in the right bag for burning. You had to have a TOP SECRET clearance to supervise the burning of our trash and a SECRET clearance to light the match. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

U*A, S*E, & K*O seems I'm not the only one tongue in cheek...

You had to remind me didn't you???

I love your "substitutions".

Did you receive the chapters yet???

God Bless Everyone

Teddi

Get well

soon. I offer my appreciation for this story. I also offer my wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.

Reminds me ...

... of a class I took many years ago in Ft. Huachuca in 1971. This one was run by a Marine Corps Major, a very strak guy with a military sense of humor. An impressive figure, he was loose and serious at the same time -- and smart as hell. It was part of the interrogation course I went through. What a pressure cooker that was: scraps of intelligence, some useful, some possibly useful, and some probably not useful kept coming far too quickly for any kind of in-depth evaluation. We had to make rapid judgment calls that in "real life" -- the war was still going on then -- would affect lives. React too strongly or too weakly, and the scenario would blow up in your face. There was no absolute right or wrong way to do it, but you were graded on the results. That part of the course still sticks out many years later -- that and the light-hearted picture of an interrogator the instructors had for us just before graduation, an officer standing in jodhpurs, holding a riding crop, his hat cocked at a jaunty angle, drinking a glass of white wine, with his boot resting on the back of a naked, attractive woman on all fours. Ah, military humor. :)

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Lucy Is Really

Teaching them a lot. I wonder how good her hubby is at his job?
May Your Light Forever Shine

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

She's right...

Andrea Lena's picture

...“Pride has no place in my classroom. Pride gets my fellow soldiers killed and I won’t stand for it. Pick up your things and leave.” For someone without much teaching experience, the Colonel is getting her points across, and the students who have remained are better for it. Thanks again.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Air Force Sweetheart-21

Lucy is proving to be well worth the effort made by the Air Force. She''ll be able to passon her skills.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Clearances are interesting.

I found out when I went to visit my Dad at Vandenberg AFB in California when I was enroute to Germany, in 1962; that my Top Secret (Final) clearance was not high enough to even allow me to go into the "coffee room" that his building had.
I was finally permitted to do so, after showing a copy of my orders that noted my TS clearance and if I remained completely under my Dad's watchful eye at all times.
Later learned from my Dad, that his clearance was a level "Q-6" added on to his Air Force Top Secret clearance.
The "Q" designated Atomic Energy Commission clearances in the 1950s-1960s. Clearances are very interesting depending on the agency they derive from and who is using them. Just having a certain clearance DOES NOT mean that you have an automatic "right and need to know".
That is left up to the department, agency, office or what have you that allows you to know or need. Lucy is showing this to the students and imparting this important subject to them also. Jan

I hate clearances

.... they give me a headache. If those folks want to play secret squirrel, so be it.

That said, I do have a clearance. There are many specialized clearances as you know. I ran into a security guard at my last last last job who mentioned she had presidential top secret clearance since she was part of White House security at one time. Of course there is the TS/SCI you see for the 3 letter agencies. Then there are the Crypto TS clearances for the communications folks ....

You get the idea.

I am proud of the fact that my head has absolutely no secrets in them that I can recall. Or even if I do, they are ones that have long expired in its usefulness.

Kim

Clearance, Clarence!

erin's picture

Roger, Roger!

Couldn't resist. :)

I had a TopSecret Crypto clearance of a level where the existence of the clearance was classified Secret Crypto. :) This was because I clerked in an underground complex where the US was illegally (by our treaties with Thailand, Taiwan and Japan) tapped into the North Vietnamese "secure" telephone system. The decentralized VC ran rings around us but we knew pretty much what the NVA were up to, down to squads on patrol in the boonies. We could track the VC indirectly by reports from their NVA liaison and supply groups and occasional radio-intercepts. The VC were careful because they knew we listened to radios but the NVA trusted the security of their Russian-built equipment and didn't know or believe that we sent in commando raids to hidden automated radio stations in North Vietnam and Cambodia that were piping out to us their secrets.

They had a split dual 5-sideband scrambler on their radiophones, as I remember it being described to me, and couldn't conceive of how in the heck anyone could unscramble it without knowing the settings. It split a signal into several frequency bands, inverted some of them, compressed others, then slotted them into the ten sidebands along with a few dummy noise channels and reconstructed a signal that sounded like an amplified needle riding the grooves of a dusty but blank vinyl record.

"I've got one word for you ... computers." The Russians didn't find out we could decrypt that mishmosh until several years later; their computers couldn't do it till then and they didn't think ours could either.

I remember listening to Nixon on the radio swear to the American people that we had no troops in Cambodia when I had watched a helicopter full of Rangers and radio techs lift off that morning to repair one of our clandestine repeaters across the border. They would drop the techs and a couple of guards at the station, then fly somewhere at a distance to watch the area for a few hours then extract the repairmen and guards with skyhooks before returning in the middle of the night. I didn't have much of a need to know this, but I had to be on the lookout for knowledge in the translations I typed up that the NVA had twigged to our operation.

The paranoid system required us to never refer to who we worked for by name or even abbreviation, we were supposed to say "XYZ" since NSA people were not supposed to be incountry. Spooks'R'-Us, y'know. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I am absolutely amazed and in awe of all the veterans

Andrea Lena's picture

...who contribute to this site. I am indebted to so many here for a variety of reasons, but the recent posts regarding security clearances also has brought me to a place of gratitude for so many of you who bravely wore the uniforms of our armed services. Thank you so much for your service, and in particular, thank you Erin for providing yet another reason for my deep gratitude and appreciation to you.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Still hanging with Mom...

...you look so gorgeous today!!! Now I know where I get it from!!!

Your Brat

Janice

NoraAdrienne's picture

I spent part of my childhood on base at Ft. Meade in Md. My cousin was a Captain at the time and a member of an oxymoron group, Military Intelligence. I was around 10 yrs old. He got permission from Mommy Dearest to take me into town with him to "run some errands". Before we left he handed me a Leica camera and showed me how to focus and set approximate f stops.

It seemed at the time that there was some sort of "parade" marching through the town and my cousin (dressed in civies) was there to watch it. I noticed his friends (also in civies) had a movie camera set up and were set up to look like a TV camera crew.

When we got back to the base he removed the film I took and was showing me around his office. While there he took my fingerprints.... cause he thought I'd like to see how it's done (bullshit).

Years later I found it we were doing intel work on one of the early March on Washington groups of civil rights workers.

To wrap this up... when I was 21 or so, I applied for a job with Israel Aircraft Industries, at the time part of the Ministry of Defense. They were surprised when my clearances showed up in only 3 weeks. INCLUDING THE ONE FROM THE STATE DEPT.. It seems I've had a file all these years due to my cousin (now a Major) who was a former member of the OSS taking me on a local mission. LOL

Swimmingly

terrynaut's picture

My head is swimming with all of this analysis. I have no head for military analysis or war games. Battle plan? What battle plan?

I'm still enjoying this story, in spite of the little side trip through the class. I like how adaptable Lucy has shown herself to be, and I love how she handled the malcontents in the classroom.

Thanks to all those responsible for keeping this story alive.

- Terry

Veracity of the story

Diesel Driver's picture

Having been in South East Asia from 1971 to 1973 and again in 1975 during the fall of Saigon, this story sounds so real, that it's just hard to believe it. This is an amazing story and I'm loving it. MORE, MORE, MORE... Please???

Chris

A funny thing happened

Diesel Driver's picture

on my way to the Philippines in 1974. I was ordered to go to San Antonio, TX to take a crypto repair course for my new permanent duty station at Clark AB. I went down there and waited and waited and waited and my clearance to take the course never came in. I left for the PI on the date and time required to get there as ordered and it never came up again. My squadron did the Airborne Command and Control of the airspace over Saigon during the evacuation that took place. I was a lowly E4 radio repairman and I got a commendation letter for stealing a radio out of one of Utapau's (darned if I remember how to spell it) base flight C-130's so our plane could complete it's mission. Many interesting things were seen during that period. One south VN pilot landed there with 5 people stuffed into his A-1 skyraider. He took all the radios out so he could fit his family in. A C-130 landed with standing room only, over 300 people on it. And many of them were airsick. Bleh! It was a crazy time.

Chris