Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 8

We stopped by the school to get our permission slips to be out for most of the day.

"Parade starts at 3:30, you need to be at the old bank parking lot at 2:45 for lineup," said Mrs. Baker, the school secretary.

"We'll be there," Gina said.

Gina's sister, Mauve, and her assistant, Becca, were waiting for us at the salon.

"We're closed for everyone except you two," Mauve said when we walked through the door. "I picked up your dresses from the shop and they're hanging. We're leaving straight from here to the parade."

"So will Dad be bringing the 'Vette?" Gina asked her sister.

"Oh, the 'Vette's already here, parked in the back," Mauve said. "So, Lucas, not only we will be your stylists and beauty consultants today, I will be your chauffeur as well."

"That's cool," I said.

"Not a man of a lot of words is he?" Becca said.

"Oh he is once you get to know him," Gina said. "Right now, he's a little nervous."

"Actually, a lot nervous," I said.

The whole experience was a bit overwhelming.

"Nothing to be nervous about," Mauve said. "Step over here, your chairs await, ladies!"

"Just letting you know, we're gettin' the works," Gina said. "The hair, the makeup and nails."

"It's on the house," Mauve said. "So I need you to take off your shoes. And you'll need to lean back over the sink and relax....but first, we've got to talk hairstyles."

She showed me a magazine with hairstyles.

"You see this, this is an updo," she said. "That's what we're about to do to Gina."

I smiled.

"That'll be a cool look for her," I said.

She then flipped over a few pages and handed the book to Gina.

"When I saw him performing on stage last night, I knew exactly what I wanted," Mauve said, keeping in suspense.

"A pixie cut, that's what you're getting," Mauve said.

"That is going to be so YOU, Lucas," Gina said.

"I have to admit when I first heard we were going to be doing a boy, I thought this was going to be a challenge," Mauve told Becca while Gina and I were lying back. "I mean, how do you do a guy and not come out with some glorified drag queen? But this is going to be fun!"

That kind of talk frightened me a little.

"What am I in for?" I asked.

"Oh, you've got nothing to worry about," Mauve said. "Gina didn't tell me you were a beauty!"

A beauty? Just what did that mean?

"Well, I did say he was the only boy I know who could pull this off," Gina said.

"Lucas, please don't take this the wrong way," Mauve said. "We have women clients who have big feet and 'man' hands. They would flat out die to have your feet and your hands!"

"Bet you never had anyone tell you you had 'girl' hands before?" Becca said.

"I don't know if that's a good thing," I said.

"And Becca, look, look at this face!" Mauve said. "Puberty, I'm afraid will change it a little bit, but have you ever seen a face this beautiful on a boy? You certainly have a girlish quality about you, in a good way!"

Gina was giggling the whole time.

"You shouldn't be laughing my little sister," Mauve said. "Lucas, for the record, I think Gina's beautiful too, and she's like you, I don't think she accepts it or appreciates it!"

She was right about Gina. I've always thought she was beautiful, but last night during the show, I thought she was stunning. I didn't think she could be more beautiful.

I was wrong. After a couple of hours at the salon, she looked...well in guy speak...drop dead gorgeous.

As for me?

The three of them stared, smiling, after the makeup was applied.

"Isn't she the most beautiful creature you ever laid your eyes own, Becca?" Mauve said. "Sorry Lucas, I can't refer to you as a he after all of this."

"Let's get the dresses on and see how we look!" Gina said.

We were wearing matching, shoulder bearing, formal gowns with long light gloves. Coach Martin had also bought us matching necklaces to wear.

"I kind of look like a bigger version of my little sister Katie at her princess party," I said.

"Where's my tiara?" I joked.

"You are SO getting a princess party on your birthday!" Gina said.

####

We both felt like princesses as we rode on the back of Gina's father's convertible Corvette during the parade.

"Wave to the crowd Lucas!" Gina said. "And smile! Isn't this so much fun!"

"OK, you've got me there," I told her. "Yes, I'm having fun. By the way, how to you keep this gown up?"

I found myself tugging at it every few minutes.

Gina laughed. "Your having trouble with that, too? Look on the bright side, it won't be that much of a scandal if you accidentally flash the crowd. Me, on the other hand, that's another story."

"We love you Lucas!" shouted a group of students at one street corner. I could swear there were a couple of guys in that group, which I felt was kind of freaky.

"I love youse guys, too!" I said, trying to do it with a Philly accent.

"Youse guys?" Gina asked.

"You know, Rocky II, after Rocky beat Apollo Creed," I said.

She punched me in the shoulder.

"That's right!" she said. "My dad's a huge Rocky fan. We were forced to watch all of them. Lucas, you can be really funny sometimes!"

"Of course I can, I've got to have a sense of humor to be dressed up like this," I said.

"You're not the only one," Gina said. "I'm not a big fan of this get up, either."

"Seriously, it's a good look for you," I said.

"Why thank you, you're so sweet," she said. "You want to know something? I know you don't want to hear this, but your look suits you, too, little sister!"

"That's the second time you called me that," I said.

"I know," Gina said, pinching me in the cheek. "I think that may fit you better than 'Hobbette.' You're too pretty to be a Hobbit."

"Gee, thanks, I think?" I said.

The parade was fun for the most part. There were a few protesters from some whacked out Kansas church who held up signs and called me "queer" along the route.

But Gina told me to just ignore it, which I pretty much did.

Let's face it, being the only boy on a girls' field hockey team means you have to have a thick skin, especially if you end up on the homecoming court.

Our ride ended at the parking lot behind the gym. The football team rode ahead of us on a couple of floats, which meant Josh and Beth were waiting on us when we arrived.

"Can we help you ladies down?" Josh said, with Beth walking to my side of the car.

"Why sure!" Gina said, extending her hand to Josh. "You and Beth are being perfect gentlemen."

I about died laughing as Beth helped me down from the car.

"I've got to say, Lucas, you look amazing," Beth said.

#####

It was an amazing contrast, Gina pointed out.

We were standing in a line, waiting to walk on the field at halftime. All of us in the court, we were wearing elegant gowns.

But those of us with football players for escorts -- and there were three of us -- our arms were locked with escorts dressed in grass-stained, dirty uniforms.

But we didn't mind.

"Coach Jackson said he's not thrilled by this tradition," Beth whispered. "His starting quarterback, a receiver and a running back are missing his halftime speech."

"Well, at least you guys are leading by three touchdowns," I said. "I could understand if you were behind."

Just then, it was my cue to walk out onto the field.

"Lucas Lacy is the seventh grade representative of the Girls Athletics Club. He is a member of the girls field hockey team, the seventh grade honor society and the science club. He is the son of Janice Lacy. He is being escorted by Beth Garrison, a member of the football team."

I was amazed by the applause.

Then it was Gina's turn.

"Gina Lenetti is the eighth grade representative of the Girls Athletic Club. She is a member of the girls field hockey team, the eighth grade honor society and the math team. She is the daughter of Nicholas and Francesca Lenetti. She is being escorted by Josh Bryan, a member of the football team."

I was proud of her. The had a dazzling smile. She always claimed she didn't like doing things like this, but I thought that was just an act.

"This year's homecoming queen is Gina Lenetti," the public address announcer said.

The look on her face confirmed what I thought. She cried when last year's queen placed the tiara on her head.

She hugged the other eighth grade members of the court, and then waved for me to join her.

"Get over here," she said with tears in her eyes.

She hugged me and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Your time is next year, little sister," she whispered.

"Oh no, this is your moment!" I said.

#####

The court sat together the rest of the game. They then herded us to the gym for pictures of the queen and her court.

It allowed the football players to go get showers and get cleaned up. They ended up winning pretty easily.

We just finished up with pictures when Josh and Beth entered the room.

"Look at Beth!" Gina said. "She looks sort of Orlando Bloomish!"

Beth was wearing a ponytail pirate style. She was wearing a blue blazer, a tie and slacks. Josh was wearing almost the same type of suit.

"Beth!" I yelled. "You look really cool!"

"And you look really dazzling!" she said.

"We'll you know me!" I said, twirling around and joking. "I can be such a diva sometimes!"

Beth pulled a box from behind her back. It was a corsage.

"You know, maybe I should be doing this for you," I said as she pinned it on my gown."

"Oh I know, and spoil this moment for me?" Beth said.

We walked over to the table with the boutonnieres. I pinned hers on her jacket.

"We've got leadout, then pictures and then we finally get to dance," I said. "But I've never slow danced before."

"Don't worry," Beth said. "I'll lead."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," I said, locking arms with her.

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too Bad

This story is UNFORTUNATELY -- very realistic.

It is a great story and appears to be much appreciated, but I wish people could be a whole lot different.

When did we stop allowing kids to be kids? I think I can almost pinpoint that day; it was when I first heard about the Little League World Series. It probably was in a Reader's Digest article, because I devoured those when I was ten to twelve. They described the games as miniature adult baseball. I never played Little League, but I played in hundreds of pick up games where we selected the sides to make them even. We even adjusted the rules to allow things to be fair for all the kids that played. Some got "easy" pitches, some got four strikes, etc. Nobody really cared who won and everybody played their hardest because why else would you play?

Homecoming dances for seventh and eigth graders? Corsages? Floor-length gowns? And we wonder why teeen pregnancy and suicide are at catastrophic levels.

These kids should be playing monopoly and laser tag. They should not be on traveling teams because what does that really add to the sports experience necessary to learn good sportsmanship.

This story is an accurate reflection of society. I've seen pep bands at seventh grade games. I've seen formal dresses at kindergarten graduations. Moronic teachers would send notice to CNN -- bringing added pressure to an already tough situation.

Yes. . .it's fiction. If only it was a caricature -- rather than a slice of life.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

We Had An Eighth Grade Formal

jengrl's picture

We had an eighth grade formal when I was in Junior high. It was almost as elaborate as the prom. I was pretty awkward trying to dance as a boy. I was wishing the whole time that I was wearing a pretty dress like the girls. I did dance with my friend Shannon and stepped on her toes or her gown hem way too much. I was so embarrassed! That age is pretty traumatic anyway, but it just led to more laughing and ridicule from a few boneheads that like nothing better than to pick on other people. Most of the time, sports are supposed to teach self esteem, leadership and teamwork. Many times the parents put too much pressure on their kids or make absolute fools of themselves by being nasty to referees and coaches. I know a soccer mom who was banned from her son's games after cussing out a referee for giving her kid a yellow card for acting like an idiot on the field.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

On the button, Angela

I couldn't agree more. How old is 8th grade - 13? At that age I was still wearing shorts (at a single sex school in the UK)and the only sports we played were invented ball games in the playground and rugby/cricket on sports afternoons. Inter-school matches were played virtually without spectators. Mind you, it was another world in the early 1950s :)

I used to organise motor cycle trials but I would never include a schoolboy/girl class because I always had an inkling that a lot of parents were trying to relive their youth through their kids. What happened instead was the youngsters organised themselves an event on pedal cycles just for fun.

Never the less, as Angela writes, this is a realistic and very entertaining depiction of how school life probably is in the US. It may be like this in the UK too for all I know but, never having had a family, I'm somewhat out of touch.

Robi

Growing up early

Over here in the UK, it tends to be more a societal thing that encourages children to grow up early rather than anything to do with the school system. Inter-school sports matches are generally held between schools within a 50 mile radius (so not more than about an hour's trip), almost all schools wear uniforms, there's no tradition of homecoming or proms (although proms have started appearing in the past few years for year 11s [16 years old - final year of compulsory schooling]) and most towns have youth clubs / scouts / guides.

However, many teenagers allegedly consume alcohol regularly (although I'd question how reliable survey results can be), a significant number claim to have taken illegal drugs (again, survey data so probably questionable, although reported by the media as infallible fact), we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe and obesity rates are allegedly catching up with the US.

But the 'growing up early' thing starts ridiculously early - I cringe when I see babies who can't even sit up or crawl wearing jeans and jumpers - whatever happened to baby clothes that actually looked like baby clothes?

-oOo-

But onto the story, and it's nice to see both Lucas and Beth adapting to their roles on opposite sides of the gender spectrum. It'll be interesting to have more snapshots of life between games, when Lucas reverts to being a boy and Beth reverts to being a girl. I can imagine them continuing to play for their teams in eighth grade, and probably even high school (who will be well aware of the situation - especially given the media interest!)

And in future? Definitely acquiring the Tommy Browder approach to clothing - and almost certainly the same attitude with any mistreated TGs they may encounter.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Spared that thankfully

Went to the NYC public school system, never had that sort of thing. The senior prom for High School was the only 'formal' event but I skipped that. I did not care for it and being Asian, new immigrants, my folks never even knew that social tradition.

Whatever.

Kim

This reminds me of someone I know in the Southwest (Hey Sis)

Andrea Lena's picture

She hugged me and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
"Your time is next year, little sister," she whispered.

I just want to know...am I too late for the dance? As always, Torey, a lot of fun. Thanks


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

This series continues to impress me

Its so cute! I kinda wish real life was this accepting, I mean Lucas has had almost no negitive reactions to dressing up.

DogSig.png

We didn't have a prom or

We didn't have a prom or formal dance in my eighth grade, as there were only 9 students in that grade. We did have to learn all the types of ballroom dancing; but we were forbidden to learn the new "faddish" dances of rock and roll. Our parents, the school administration and the Air Base commander all refused us to even be allowed to listen to rock and roll music (very early 1950's). We did sneak listening from Radio Luxembourg (as we were in England). So you can guess how backwards we teenagers felt when we got back to the US regarding the music and current dances. Jan

There is a such

a lightness of touch in the way this story is written that it makes it real pleasure to read, Thank you Torey for sharing it with us.

Kirri

Doomed?

Poor Lucas, now he seems to have both Beth and Gina interested in him AND keeping him in skirts.

Switching Playing Fields, Chapter 8

Lucas sounds to be one of the few boys who are naturaly femenine. Maybe he can help a few with their self image as his is strong enough to take the role reversal.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Some people need to lighten UP here!

This is delightful escapist fantasy. But, consider the readership. Does anyone really think that any child is going to be corruped by this story. Geeze, 95% of us are aging over the hillers.

Marvelous writing, and don't let the sour pusses get you down.

Khadijah Gwen

Just to Make Sure

I think I made it quite clear that this is a delightful story.

My remarks are directed quite clearly toward societies penchant to rush children toward adult recreation.

Junior high students should have dances, but they should be awkward affairs with boys much more interested in how many cookies they can eat and hown much punch they can drink than anything else.

In no way did I say, or intend to say, this lovely story could "corrupt" anyone.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I'm sorry, did someone say this is a fantasy?

In my junior high school we had a football team and a basketball team. We had formal and semi formal as well as non formal dances; each dance had a theme. Our football and basketball teams travelled the state playing other schools. We had a homecoming of sorts where we had a king and queen and princesses. This story for me is not a fantasy but recalls some very fortunate and unfortunate experiences as a budding teen who hadn't even started puberty. I like the way Lucas was received and fawned over at the salon. I like it when they were comparing Lucas to a girl.

"And Becca, look, look at this face!" Mauve said. "Puberty, I'm afraid will change it a little bit, but have you ever seen a face this beautiful on a boy? You certainly have a girlish quality about you, in a good way!"

The fanatical religious hypocrites along the way calling Lucas "queer" shows their ignorance of why Lucas was in that gown and on a girls sports team. But...I still say that Lucas needs to change playing fields for good, and become physically what she already is in her mind. Yes, there may be some boy left in there, but it isn't that much to speak of.

Torey dear, we need the girls by a majority vote give Lucas a girl's name and vote her in as one of the girls officially. A great and very cute story, and thank you so much for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

This was so Funny

"Of course I can, I've got to have a sense of humor to be dressed up like this," I said.

Say's it all!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I like this...

...story! Please let Torey finish it in her own way. These types of stories are what I enjoy! Thank you, Torey!

Loving the story

This story is a lot of fun, and could be good reading for kids in school.

happy to be here

laika's picture

It's fun, it's upbeat, it makes me feel good reading it, and seems to promise it'll continue like this, with nobody
getting their head kicked in or disowned by their parents for being TG. I don't know what Lucas will ultimately decide
about how he/she fits into the world genderwise, I'm just happy to be along for the ride and'll just let Torey tell that part...
~~~hugs, Laika