Sangria: This is Where the Rubber Meets the Road (Part 1)

Printer-friendly version
Sangria: This is Where the Rubber Meets the Road (Part 1)
by:
Lilith Langtree


The Morlocks have had enough of hiding out and hit the road to Whateley Academy.

alt-sangria.jpg

Obligatory Credits: This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out Whateley Academy at http://www.crystalhall.org
Pic Credit: Lady Death from Chaos Comics (pic adjusted for the story)

Author's Note: This is fanfiction, obviously. Here is a notice to all the fan-boys and fan-girls out there. I have not read every single Whateley fic and or fanfic out there so I don't know every single little bit of trivia there is to know. If you see a tiny little error that that has absolutely no bearing on the plot, please, restrain yourself from pointing your finger and gasping in abject horror. I think it's fairly close so slowly put your blades away and relax. :)

"They're gone. The smell lingers."

The muted sound of laughter filtered through the secured room door as I went about my public information session. The Morlocks were somewhat happy that they were more free than they were only twenty-three hours previous.

"I'm leaving the mountain. An opportunity has presented itself. Some of you may be asking yourself, if I've given up. No, not quite. The MCO declared war on me. Now, while they didn't exactly surrender, they are gone, they are most assuredly not forgotten.

"Others have joined me here. They heard my message and were in trouble themselves. My duty has changed somewhat. Soon after my mountain went back to its MCO free state, I was elected leader of this merry little band of Morlocks.

Sangria caressed my face and neck sending pleasant shivers down my body.

"We are the ones that cannot go out into the light without persecution. We are the ones that the world is so afraid of, just because we look different. We are also the ones that have lost the most. Family, friends, our community… either they had died or have turned against us, calling us freaks, mutants, evil, whatever."

I stared at the cell phone in my hand and looked at the blinking flag on the map application. Our destination: Whateley Academy.

"Well, maybe some of us are one or more of those things, but odds are that the very family, friends, or community that we once held dear, has made us this way. Think of it like a mirror of their own souls. Being dark, angry, and hateful usually leads the focus of your attention slinging it right back at you."

I had no idea if I was going to continue this broadcast anymore. My point was made, sort of. Additionally, I was going to school, and they might frown on subversion. I snickered to myself; like I really cared.

"I'm taking the Morlocks to safety, and I have no idea if I'll be coming back to my mountain. Maybe some day. There's just too many memories here." With a single breath, I sighed. "We'll see what happens. If I can find a secure way, I'll keep in touch, so you keep your ears open.

"I'll leave you with this last thought. If you are on your own, don't give up hope. There are people out there that care about what happens to you, me being one of them. Good luck. I'm gone."

~O~

After squirreling away a few security items in the SUV I set up the navigation system for auto-drive. Considering the passenger manifest, it seemed the most prudent of courses to take. No need to have police pulling us over for 'routine traffic stops' if you get my meaning. The darkened windows pretty much assured us our anonymity on the road.

The supply of emergency cash that Sophia had in the bunker guaranteed that we'd have no money problems, and the slight laughter I heard in the back of my head made me a little bit more secure. Sangria had told me on a number of occasions that I didn't have to worry in that regard. Apparently living for thousands of years gave her an edge with monetary matters. At least it was one less thing to be concerned about.

The feeling of three hands sliding around my hips from behind let me know Portia was on the prowl again.

"Ready to hit the open road, Braith?"

I still hadn't gotten the nerve to tell her to ease up on the touchy feely stuff. Thing was, I liked it. Not so much for the reasons that you are thinking. I just missed being held by Jeremy, my ex-boyfriend. I missed Dad's hugs. I missed the feel of another person's affections. So I kept my trap shut.

The only problem was Void. Even I saw how he looked at me. Now he was a big black void of jealousy. His green eyes were fitting in that regard. We still hadn't addressed the issue and we'd have to before we reached Whateley. There was one thing I was sure of. High schools were the same all over the world: bad cafeteria food, annoying teachers lording their superior knowledge over their students, and cliques. While I couldn't do anything about the first two, I could make sure that we presented a united front for the last. Nobody would mess with my Morlocks.

If that meant having an uncomfortable conversation and ironing things out in a closed SUV then I'd make sure it happened. We're a family now, whether we liked it or not.

Checking my watch, I nodded. "Yeah. Let's do this."

Space was pretty much at a minimum. A couple of trunks attached to the roof kept our community supplies, and the area behind the bench seat in the rear held a stocked backpack for each of us, with clothes and personal items.

I was aiming to grab one of the captain's chairs in the first two rows, but Portia had other ideas and dragged me to the bench seat in the back. Void and Woodchuck took the front seats, which left the middle two for Gordo and Crystal.

~O~

The first couple of hours were the most quiet. It was almost like I was alone again, except for the constant attention from Portia. She was always touching me in some way. It didn't annoy me and for some reason I got the impression that it gave her some sort of reassurance. Don't ask me why; I haven't ever read any psychology textbooks.

"Do you want to lay down?" she asked me out of the blue.

I looked over and saw her patting her lap with a hopeful look on her face. Why not? I haven't been getting much sleep anyway. Without saying anything I lay my head in her lap and pulled my legs up so that I could curl into a little ball. Her hands went on automatic and I felt her many fingers in my hair. Okay, I knew there was a good reason for this.

Falling victim to the pleasures of hair stoking, my love?

I shrugged internally. 'I haven't had anyone do this since I've gotten long hair. I like it.'

Have you made anymore progress toward deciding which you will take as yours?

'You're in my head. Don't you know?'

She chuckled in amusement. I only garner innocuous information until such time as we are one. The decisions of your personal life are your own.

'Then why are you pressing this, Sangria?'

Several reasons, my love. We are no longer battling the MCO on a daily basis, and you are young. Having seen so much in the last month, I worry for your state of mind.

'How so?'

I felt her reluctance to move further onto the subject. You have experienced much over the last month. I fear that with little to keep you occupied that you will fall into despair.

'And choosing a mate, as you put it, will make me feel better?'

She didn't reply to that one.

'I'm sixteen, Sangria. Any 'mate' I choose will probably be temporary. Not to mention that I still haven't dealt with the issue of my sexuality. Just let things go for now. My love life will take care of itself.'

As you wish, my love.

~O~

Portia was in a chatty mood. Why we couldn't just enjoy the ride, I have no idea.

"So then all of my friends just freaked out. They thought Vietnamese girls were suppose to be immune from being mutants or something."

I shook my head, which was currently leaning back onto Portia's shoulder, while her hands were wrapped possessively around my waist. Yeah, I know I'm letting this cuddling thing go too far. Leave me alone.

"My crew was the same way," announced Void. "Which is stupid, 'cause we all knew about Black Storm, and he's Black. But since he's all normal looking he gets a slide."

Gordo picked at the arm of his chair. "It's the normals that get the love. When Crystal changed everyone thought she was a demonio… a demon lover and was cursed by the madre de dios."

I thought about that. If I didn't know any better, I'd probably think the same thing. The girl has translucent skin. It's a major freakshow.

"What about you mole-boy?"

The terminally thin mutant sitting beside Void got a sour look on his face. "My name is Woodchuck, and I don't want to talk about it."

And he didn't. Come to think about it, Woodchuck very rarely said anything at all. Probably a story in there somewhere, but I wasn't going to force it out of him. "Void, leave him alone."

I got narrow green eyes for that, but he let the subject drop.

Gordo shifted in his seat and looked at his sister in a pleading way.

"What's up?" I asked.

He sighed dramatically. "My sister wants you to know that she doesn't feel right about taking your money. She says we haven't done anything to earn it."

I pulled away from Portia and sat up. "It's not mine either."

"You mean you stole it?" Void laughed. "Hope it was from the MCO."

I shook my head with a little grin on my face. "No, it was Sophia's. She was Sangria's host before me."

Gordo looked back to Crystal for a moment. "My sister wants to know if that was her home we just left."

With a nod, I explained. "From what Sangria told me, Sophia was visiting her brother in Dunwich, New Hampshire -- that's where we're going by the way -- when Lacy, Sangria's host before that, was killed."

"She got a lotta hosts," Void pointed out.

I shrugged. "Not so much; just bad luck. Before that Sangria was with a girl called Briar Rose for sixty-three years."

I noticed Woodchuck taking a larger interest in the conversation. He wasn't participating, but at least he was listening.

"My sister wonders why she was in Kentucky, so close to you."

Leaning back, just a little, I made myself comfortable again before noticing where my right hand was. Snatching it away from Portia's leg would probably draw more attention than having it there in the first place, so I tried to relax and look as normal as I could.

"Sophia was somewhat of a recluse before they joined. She used to live in the White Mountains, a range near Whateley actually, but something drove her away. Sangria hasn't really been forthcoming about the details."

"Weird," replied Gordo.

"Anyway, her next choice was the Appalachians. Still some decent mountains, and the bunker was already there. She just upgraded it."

One of Portia's hands squeezed at my hip. "How did you get her money? Banks don't exactly give it out to anyone that asks."

My hand which was already seated more than mid way up her thigh, involuntarily squeezed back. "The money is Sangria's. She sets everything up for her hosts through a company of some type. I really didn't pay much attention when she added my name. It's all done through numbered accounts, by mail, telephone."

"So, you really are a rich white chick."

I rolled my eyes at Void. "Sangria's rich, I'm comfortable. My mom arranged a trust fund for the insurance money she left me when she died. Even the MCO can't touch that one, but since I changed I can't really prove I'm me without their help, since they leaned on the hospital that took care of me after the accident."

"That sucks."

With a shrug I let my hand slide to more neutral territory on Portia's leg. See, smooooth.

"My sister wants to know if you two are hooking up."

Crystal whipped a foot out and clocked her brother on the knee. He yelped and quickly revised his statement. "Sorry, that was a private question to me. Not so hard, hermana."

Well, so much for 'smooth'. Void's interest was peaked, along with everyone else's, most of all Portia's.

I face-palmed for a few seconds while I tried to think of a graceful way out of this. "You all know I was a guy before I became a mutant, right?"

Nods circulated and I strategically avoided looking at Portia. It really wasn't that hard with her to the side and a little behind me. "Well I was gay also. I had a boyfriend, just lost my virginity the night before… so I was a practicing gay guy."

Gordo was open staring, openmouthed. I guess he didn't know many gay guys were he was from.

Void didn't have any problem closing the brief silence that was permeating the SUV. "You should still like guys, so why are you with her?"

Raising my hands up to stress my point, I continued. "I'm not with anyone." Giving a quick look around, I went ahead with my original plan and decided to lay it out for him, in front of everyone else. "Void, you're amazingly hot. If you were gay and I was still a guy, I'd be all over you in a second. But your attitude sucks possum balls."

Woodchuck smirked at that, but kept silent.

"Truth is, I have no idea what I want. I'm still trying to figure it out."

"My sister wants me to ask if you are just experimenting right now."

I thought about it for a second. "Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Experimenting. Thanks Crystal."

She nodded at me and smiled, which did weird things with the muscles and blood vessels in her cheeks. Maybe if I got her some makeup. With a sigh, I spanked my inner idiot. Maybe she doesn't want to hide the way she looks. Crystal has money now; if she wants to buy something to cover up, then she can. Who am I to judge how someone looks, the demon girl.

~O~

Eventually everyone fell asleep, except me, since I slept earlier. Portia kept me in her embrace and I was severally comfortable, turned around with my face in her neck. How in the hell did I wind up in this position? I have no idea. Her scent was all I could smell, and the skin of her neck was millimeters away from my mouth.

It didn't take much imagination to bring Jeremy to mind for a mild fantasy. He was trim, much like Portia and very firm, again much like the girl I was snuggled against. Her arms were strong looking, full and defined.

A look out of the corner of my eye let me know that everyone else was still in dreamland, and the sound of Portia's deep breathing assured me that she was out of it. So, I didn't feel bad about testing the road a little.

I closed my eyes and ever so slightly opened my mouth. The scent of her hair and skin filled me up where I could almost taste her. It wasn't so bad. She had a lighter tone to her fragrance than Jeremy did, but then again my ex was a little on the effeminate side where cleanliness was concerned.

Moving forward, I checked again to see that the girl holding me was well in the arms of Morpheus before I set the very tip of my tongue against her neck to get just taste, just the smallest hint of what it would be like to be with a girl.

This all hinged upon Portia being asleep, so of course she came wide awake at my barest touch. Her arms stiffened and I heard her draw a sharp breath.

For all of her aggressiveness in front of the others, she froze once confronted with the possibility that I might return her affections.

"Sorry," I whispered. "I just…"

Her arms relaxed which also served to let me fall a few inches away from her. When she tilted her head down, I saw a slight smile on her face. "Want to see what it's like to kiss a girl?"

My eyes darted to the others in the SUV. Suddenly I was nervous. Sangria took the opportunity to expand her volume and created a mound of hair which covered the upper portions of our bodies. I guess I knew her opinion on the subject.

"I'm a lesbian, Braith. I tried hiding it before I changed. But now I'm a mutant, it's kind of like the least of my problems. I won't be hiding it again."

I swallowed and nodded. "This is for me. I don't know what I want yet."

Her smiled deepened. "Then let me show you a little of what you are missing."

~O~

We found a deserted rest area somewhere in southern Pennsylvania where we could get out and stretch out legs, not to mention the inevitable potty break. While Portia was washing her many hands, Void took the chance to make his move that I had been expecting since our little talk.

The shining sun gave him more than enough UV radiation to appear almost normal, except for the hair, which I still admired.

"Listen, um…"

I looked over at Gordo and Crystal near the SUV and Woodchuck sniffing around one of many picnic tables.

"Sorry about the way I've been acting," he finally spat out.

"It's okay." I adjusted my sunglasses on the bridge of my nose. It was still a bit bright out for me.

This time I could see the nervousness on his face, clearly showing how uncomfortable he was. "I can see that you're trying things out with insect… with Portia," he corrected. "I just wanted to see if you were interested in maybe seeing… I mean…"

It would be obvious to anyone with a brain, that Void wanted to see if he could get equal time with me. The one thing that was bugging me more than anything else was, why me? Okay, I could see where I was probably the best of our group. Portia was, to him at least, a lesbian. Crystal, however sweet she may be, is not in the least way physically attractive in her current guise. That left me. Yeah, I have a nice body, no doubt about that, but my hair is alive and I look like I want to suck your soul and eat it for a mid-afternoon snack.

Maybe he was just a weirdo. Maybe he liked goth girls. Maybe he hoped that he could bag my face and have at the body. Maybe I need to wear loose clothing.

I pondered the thought of a pair of Dockers and a baggy football jersey when he swooped down out of the blue and planted one right on my kisser. Freezing up for the first few seconds let my mind melt a little and realize that the really hot guy that had his lips attached to mine was kissing me.

~O~

"That looked interesting."

My head turned in the direction of the voice to see Portia standing there with a playful smirk on her face. "Wut?"

"Look at you. Can't even speak properly. So, I'm guessing I, like, have some competition."

Competition? I don't think I could live through the race between the two of them.

"You do realize that you and me will, like, be living together, right?"

That brought me out of my Void-induced stupor. "What?"

She smiled and looked over at the guy with the satisfied smirk on his face by the driver's side door. "You might want to take a look at the Whateley information guide. The cottage rooms are first come first serve. That means we'll be put in the first empty room… together." The edge of Portia's mouth quirked up in a seductive leer, of which I wasn't entirely immune to at the moment considering my semi-aroused state.

"We're both GSD females. So were probably going to the same cottage. We'll be showering in the same showers, sleeping right next to each other. You'll see me changing in front of you every morning and night."

I swallowed, noticing for the first time how dry my mouth was.

"You'll see exactly what I have to offer, Braith."

Trying to blink away the image that was just planted in my head was not the easiest thing to do. "Um… why, why are you so…"

"Why am I so hot after you?"

Being slightly embarrassed, I shrugged and nodded.

One of her hands slid into mine. "Even before Woodchuck and I made it to Kentucky, I've been listening to you on the radio. I downloaded your pod casts off the internet just to listen to your voice."

My other hand was taken up in another of hers. "You get it, Braith. You understand what's out there and you really get it. You're like me, not afraid to tell it like it is. Plus you're smoking' hot."

I swallowed once more. "I'm not…"

She smiled down at me like I was delusional. "Braith, get over yourself. You have beautiful hair that acts a lot like my extra arms and hands, your skin is perfect, your lips…" She leaned down and brushed hers across mine. "Mmm, taste so good. We could make some serious magic together."

"Car!" Void yelled from the SUV.

I broke away and brought myself back to the dangerous reality to see a car just exiting from the interstate. "We gotta go."

Portia's extra arms disappeared under her jacket, and Sangria lifted my hair to shield my face from being too noticeable. Moving swiftly, but not to quick as to look like we were running away, the last of us boarded and I punched the navigator to continue. When I turned around I saw Portia giving Void the evil eye. He was lounging on the bench seat in the back with a mild grin on his lips.

Crystal's eyes were darting back and forth to see who would start the first volley of argument.

I was so incredibly close to saying, 'screw it, I'm sitting up front,' that is wasn't funny. Instead I send a lock of hair to lightly twist around one of Portia's arms. Her attention broke away from Void and I gestured toward the front. Her lips pursed, angrily.

"Alright, fine. We do this my way then," I announced. Everyone's attention was on me by that moment. "You two want to play games, that's cool with me. I'll find someone else to date at school."

Void sat up with a protest on his lips, but I shushed him. "You want to date me?" He looked like he was trying to save his pride, but chose to nod his agreement. Turning to Portia, I saw the displeasure on her face, but she gave me a quick nod as well. "Good, great. Then we take turns until I figure out exactly what I want or until you get so annoyed you give up. Sound fair?"

Crystal and Gordo nodded their heads.

"Good, Great. I'm glad you two agree. If you decide that you want to fight over it, physically or by yelling at each other, then you both can take a hike. I really don't need the aggravation."

~O~

Void was not quite as comfy as Portia was, and I felt like a little girl sitting next to him, tucked into his arm. However, I did feel kind of content. It was almost like I was a kid again and sitting in my dad's lap, except I knew this was much more intimate. He didn't smell anything like my dad. There was something primal in his scent, and the bulk of his muscles were… well, let's just say I had a serious urge to rip off his shirt and compare skin contrasts. Of course the only way to do that would be to rub myself all over his amazing body. Some scented oil probably wouldn't go amiss, either, just to make sure things went smoothly.

~O~

New Hampshire was cold. And here I was thinking that I knew what cold actually was, living in the mountains of Kentucky. If we hadn't used the navigation system, I seriously doubted that we would have been able to find the ancient town of Dunwich. The only indication that we were in the proper place was the population sign on the edge of the city limits.

Old houses, almost taken by disuse and inevitable encroachment of nature, lined the entrance to the small town. Only after the first few hundred yards did I think that we were closing in on our destination.

"Creepy," I said to nobody in particular.

Portia looked down at me with a small amount of concern. "Are you okay?"

"What?"

Her arms tightened around me. "You got, like, all tense."

Looking out of the window, I let my eyes travel the area before closing them. "I don't like this place. Something's not right about it."

"Just looks like an old town to me," Void announced.

"And that's why you're a brick," Portia whispered to herself. I tapped the back of my hand on her leg. "Be nice."

Once we passed the older portion and entered the town proper, I felt decidedly better. "How far away are we?"

Void checked the navigator. "Got about ten more miles."

"Okay, listen up guys." Void and Woodchuck spun around in their respective chair, while Gordo and Crystal were already facing me. "Odds are we aren't going to wind up in the same cottage, and you two," I said as I pointed at Gordo and Crystal. "Are supposed to hang out with this Mrs. P lady for a while."

"My sister wants to know how to find you."

I nodded. "That's what I was getting to. Wherever we park the SUV at first, I'm assuming some administration building, that's where we'll meet up."

"Why there?" asked Void.

"Because it’s the administration building. They'll be adults around, and while I'm the first person to say, 'screw the olds,' you'll be less likely to be messed with by the normals."

Gordo agreed that was a good thing, but he got a weird look on his face. "I thought it was a mutant school."

"It is, but we're Morlocks. We're still outnumbered by all the beautiful mutants. Mutants affected by GSD are a lot lower percentage. Just think of it this way, there's a classification called Exemplar. For the most part, that means they make professional models look bad. I can just see a big group of these douchebags hanging out together jacking each other off over how much better they are than the norms or us."

"Good point." Holy crap, Woodchuck said something!

They're called the Alphas, my love.

I almost laughed. "Sangria just told me that they call themselves, the Alphas."

"She's been there?" asked Portia.

I nodded. "She taught there in 1970."

"Really, what did she teach?" she asked.

Without me asking, Sangria took over. "I taught European Literature and substituted for the Introduction to Avatars class." After a short pause she continued. "I must warn all of you, I have not been on campus for decades, however I know little has changed in the overriding rule. Good and Evil preside over this school equally. There will be those that will use you for their own personal gain if given the chance, but there will also be those that will oppose them."

Gordo's jaw dropped open. "That is so creepy."

"What?" I asked. "The good and evil thing?"

"No, your voice changing like that. You sound…"

"Hollow," Void finished. "Like we're in an echo chamber."

Woodchuck looked me straight in the eye. "Yeah, you have that whole Stargate thing going on. Do your eyes glow too?"

I frowned. No, I didn't realize that my voice changed like that. There was a different feeling when Sangria wanted to talk, but all I heard was me talking. I guess it was like having your voice recorded and then listening to it, not realizing it was you talking… or something like that.

I took off my sunglasses, and glared at him. "Levity aside, children, you must be on guard, even with those you might call friend."

Void got a thoughtful look on his face. "Maybe we should have stayed in Kentucky."

"Just be on guard, Void. Very little at Whateley is what it seems."

~O~

As expected, we were met at the entrance to the administration building. Apparently these people had nothing better to do until school started.

Void parked us behind a hover-limo while I checked out the new faces, along with that of Sangria's old friend. Ms. Carson apparently decided to greet us herself. "I don't see any cops, or MCO," he said with a tinge of anxiousness in his voice.

"It's not a trap, Void." I went ahead and switched back over to my authoritative voice, as if there was a difference in them. Maybe less sarcasm, and more, 'let's get this done.' "Alright everyone. This is it. Faces on, don't let'em see you sweat and all that."

I was first out. A middle-aged woman and an older black lady stood next to Ms. Carson, and I heard someone get out of the limo. A quick glance to the vehicle and I spotted the guy with the suit and tie.

"Welcome to Whateley, Braith." Ms Carson stepped forward with her hand held out. I decided not to be an ass and actually shook it. "Thanks." Nodding in the direction of the limo I asked. "Is that for Crystal and Gordo?"

"Yes, Mrs. Potter arranged transportation."

When the suit approached, I turned to him. "When will they be back?"

He didn't look like he was expecting that particular question. "I'm not exactly sure. There are tests…"

I waved him off. "Call who you need to and find out."

"Miss Brice," Ms. Carson interrupted. "The tests they run are subjective in some cases. There's no way of telling how long they will take. A few hours or all day."

Cocking my head to the side, I smiled sarcastically. Come on, you knew it couldn't last forever. "An old lady sends notes across the country, one stuck to a soda can at a random rest stop, and you're telling me that they can't take an educated guess." I shoved my hands in my coat pockets. "Ms. Carson, all of my friends here put their lives in my hands while we were on the run. That doesn't stop just because we're here. I want an estimate."

I may have been wrong, but I could have sworn I saw one of her eyes twitch to a quirk for a moment. "See if you can acquire an estimate, Mr. Parker."

A quick phone call later and he came up with one-thirty.

"You guys still cool with this? You don't have to go if you don't want."

Crystal smiled at me. "My sister says that we will be fine," translated Gordo. Stepping close to her I one arm hugged Crystal and her brother. "Here's my dad's cell. Call me no later than one. If I don't hear from you by then, I'll be coming after you."

Gordo smirked. "My sister says, thanks mom."

I gave her an arched eyebrow along with my pursed lips. "Go on kids, have fun. Play nice with the other mutants."

The black lady stepped forward to Void and Woodchuck. "Gentlemen if you would follow me, I have something to show you and then we'll get you settled into Twain Cottage."

Void looked to me for direction. I held up two fingers and then pointed down. Hopefully he'll understand that I meant two hours and not two days before meeting back at the SUV. With a nod to me I popped the rear of the SUV so they could get their backpacks.

The other lady introduced herself as Mrs. Savage. Well, that was ominous. "Lady's, you two will be lodging at Whitman Cottage. I will be escorting Portia and you, Miss Brice, will be in conference with Mrs. Carson. She will alert me when she is finished and I will return to escort you."

I looked back to the Headmistress. "Is it in the same place it used to be?"

"The campus has grown since Sangria's last visit, but Whitman is still standing."

"I already know my way around, for the most part, Mrs. Savage. Thanks."

~O~

Mrs. Carson closed the door to her office while I took a gander around. "I remember when you swore you could never understand why someone would want to be in charge of a school like this, Elizabeth, and yet here you are."

I saw her bristle. The once powerful Lady Astarte looked odd in administration attire, but then again I suppose a lot of superheroes would look weird trying to fit into an office situation.

"Sangria, this conversation will be between Miss Brice and myself, if you wouldn't mind." It wasn't a request.

"As you wish, Elizabeth."

We took our seats, Mrs. Carson behind her desk, showing her authority and me in the fake leather chair in front, the dutiful student. Before beginning she picked up the phone and speed-dialed an extension. "Chief Delarose, do you have someone that is available to pick up a weapon and secure it at Range 2? -- Yes, a new student. -- Thank you."

She hung up and stared at me for a moment.

"I was going to go by Kane after I was through here and do the same thing." Really, I was.

I could almost see the doubt in her eyes. So I rolled mine and looked to the bookshelves to the right of her desk.

"Miss Brice, you will obey the laws of this country while on campus. Until such time as you take and pass the required classwork and are legally certified to carry any weapon, your pistol will remain in my care."

I sighed, not dramatically or anything. "Are we through here?"

When I brought my attention back to the Headmistress all I got in return was a cold stare. "Disrespect to me or any of the staff at Whateley is grounds for detention. Do I make myself completely clear, Miss Brice?"

Leaning forward, I withdrew my sunglasses so she could get the full view of my red eyes. Since she was Sangria's friend in the past, I'm quite sure she's seen the whole show. "Do all of your students get this same hostile treatment, Mrs. Carson? Have I done something to earn this? Yes, I'm clear. I'm the lowly student who knows nothing about how the real world works and you and the teachers here are all knowing."

She didn't waste any time responding in kind. "We all have our sob stories, Miss Brice, some worse than others."

A knock at the door announced a security guard, here for my pistol. I withdrew it and with deft movements disassembled it, pocketing the full clip along with the barrel and the recoil spring. I got a wondering eye from the security guy at that action. No, I really don't trust anyone with my pistol. When I had it reassembled, I slid it to the side, on the desk and was given a receipt. "That's my father's pistol. It's one of the only things I have left from him. Please take care of it."

He paused for a moment and then carefully picked it up. "We'll keep it safe, Miss."

At least someone understood. "Anything else, Headmistress?"

"Classes begin Monday morning, see that you make your appointment for classification. There will be an information package in your room, provided by Mrs. Savage. You can go."

I took to my feet and grabbed my backpack. At the door, Sangria had me pause and look back. "There was a time that you would have hated the person that just addressed my host, Elizabeth. What has happened to you over the years?"

Seeing the flicker in Mrs. Carson's eyes was evidence enough that she was putting on a face. "Things change, Sangria."

"You've become hard, my friend. Even the hardest stone breaks under the right amount of pressure. Perhaps…"

Mrs. Carson picked up her phone. "You are dismissed."

"As you wish, Elizabeth."

~O~

Buttoning my coat against the biting winter wind was a necessity as I stepped outside. "What the hell was her problem."

Time changes people, my love. Elizabeth has experienced loss much more profound than yours.

"Well, if this is just a taste of what's to come, we won't be staying for very long."

I made the long trek across the campus to my assigned cottage. Let's just say I wasn't impressed, but then again I didn't know what to expect. What I wasn't expecting was Portia, half dressed, wearing only her tight jeans, and I mean only her tight jeans.

"Hey, roomie!"

I stood there, in the doorway, kind of shellshocked.

"I was thinking of moving the beds together over in that corner. It'll give us a little bit more space out here."

Well she did warn me that I'd see her dressing and undressing, but moving furniture, topless, was a bit more than I was expecting. Once I was over the initial surprise, I entered the tiny ten by 'not much more' room and closed the door.

She grinned at me. "You should have heard the speech Savage gave me. 'There will be no carnal relations at Whitman!'" With a laugh she waved the thought off. "I already know a great silencing spell so we can be as loud as we want."

Maybe it's not too late to move into another room.

I shrugged off my jacket and dropped the backpack on the side by desk under the window. "Is this the right time to start a pillow fight?"

Portia wrinkled her nose. "Lets wait until we go get some linens and new pillows. I really don't think they clean these things between sessions. Plus we have to get you some proper sleepwear. Maybe a black teddy or a red cami with matching panties. Then, like, let fly the pillows."

The problem was, I didn't know if she was serious. "Uh-huh."

I unzipped the backpack and unpacked my clothes, which pretty much took up all the space. No, I hadn't gone shopping. I still had the no-thought-needed wardrobe. While I'd already become accustom to being a girl over the last month, I still preferred utilitarian clothing.

"They have a store on campus?"

"Uh-huh. Savage gave me a map of the campus. You've got one too in your package over there."

I followed her finger to the foot of my bed. "Carson said that we're supposed to get classified."

Portia bounced in place which did weird things to her unbound breasts along with my eyes. "Oh, I know, right? I'm so excited. I can't wait to see what they say about me. I'm at ten, how about you?"

I shrugged, not knowing and ventured forthwith to the package. On top was a folder that had a welcoming letter, which was much more positive sounding than Carson's 'respect mah ah'thora'ty' speech. The next was a request from some doctor that I present myself for the cold instrument treatment at ten as well. "Me too."

While I had my back turned, Portia took advantage and did a sneak attack. Two hands were at my hip, two beside my breasts and one was pulling my hair away from the side of my face where her lips suddenly found something interesting to do. "I was going to take a shower and get the smell of the road off. Care to join me?"

"You know, having sex with me isn't going to stop me from giving Void his chance. Anything that we do, I'm going to let him do too."

Feeling her body stiffen, I let a self-satisfied smirk rise on my lips.

"Anything?"

I nodded. "Uh-huh. It's only fair."

Her lips found my neck followed by her teeth with a teasing bite. "I better make sure that you enjoy yourself with me then."

Hold on… that wasn't supposed to happen.

"That gives me a slight advantage. Remember that I don't have certain parts that he has. If I can't use them then he can't."

Damn, this girl is sharp.

"Uh, right."

The hands that were brushing the sides of my breasts slipped underneath and cupped them for a moment while she ran her tongue up the outside of my ear sending unfamiliar sensations to certain portions of my body. "We'll hit the store after I get out of the shower, okay?"

"Uh-huh." My voice didn't sound quite right, almost distracted and breathy.

It wasn't until I heard the sound of Mrs. Savage's voice yelling, "Portia, while this not a co-educational cottage. We do not gallivant around without the proper clothing," that I realized my roommate wasn't in with me any longer.

This should be an interesting winter session.

"That's the understatement of the year."

~O~

"This is the weirdest store I've ever been in."

Portia grinned happily. "I can't wait to see you in your schoolgirl outfit. Too bad they didn't make a naughty version, but I'm sure we can think of something."

"It's winter," I said with a relieved tone to my voice. "No skirts until spring, halleluiah."

"You're just happy that the school colors are black and white, so you don't have to break away from this monochromatic thing you have going on."

There was that. "Oh, this is what I wanted."

Portia looked up at the section sign. "What are we doing in Hardware?"

I checked out the area first to make sure we weren't being spied upon. "I had to give up my pistol when we got here. I need some everyday items that can't be considered weapons, normally that is."

A box of 20d nails, an economy bag of zip-ties, a spool of utility rope, and we were off to School Supplies, where some of the more deadlier items were stashed. A metal ruler, three boxes of pencils, their entire supply of Mr. Goo's Really Super Glue…

~O~

We were just able to make it to the SUV by the deadline. Void and Woodchuck were there waiting for us with pretty wide eyes. Maybe it was because Sangria was holding fifteen bags of stuff. I knew there was a good reason to love having super-hair.

"Find the campus store?" asked Void in a mystified voice.

I reached into my jacket and pulled out a plastic card. "Here, this is yours and Woodchuck's. Get what you need, don't go crazy."

Void took the card and looked it over. "We can get campus jobs, Braith. You don't need to go and make…"

"We're Morlocks. If you want some extra spending money, then get a job. This is part of your school needs, which I'm taking care of," I interjected.

Woodchuck looked at the card with interest, but also a certain amount of wariness.

"Don't bother trying to argue with her, Void," replied Portia. "Just say thank you."

His lips thinned out a little, but his hand closed around the campus card. "Thank you." That brought a smile to my face.

"Portia and I have to go get evaluated after dropping this stuff off. What time is yours?"

"Two o'clock."

I nodded. "Cool. It'll be good to know what everyone officially can do. After patting my cell in my coat pocket, I remembered that they still didn't have any form of communication. "Hey, see if the store carries anything we can use like a cell phone or something, small radios, something like that. I'm not too sure on their cell phone policy and I want a way for us to be able to stay in contact. Just in case."

~O~

Thirty minutes of unpacking the bags, unpackaging the stuff, clipping tags, and hanging clothes and we still weren't close to having the room livable. However, everything had to wait until later. We had a doctor's appointment to get to.

When we entered the clinic, hospital, whatever you called the place, there was a energetic redhead typing madly away at her keyboard, with her head rocking back and forth. That was when I noticed the earbuds and the trailing cord to her waist. When she saw us, she waved and tugged the buds out.

"Hey there! Can I help you?"

"Yeah," I said upon approach. "Braith Brice and P…" I turned around feeling supremely stupid. "You never told me your real name."

Portia giggled. "Stacy Harrington." God, I'm glad I can't blush.

Spinning back around. "Uh, and Stacy Harrington here for our classification evaluations."

The redhead grinned. "Just have a seat and the doctors will be right with you."

I made a beeline to the waiting area with Portia on my tail. When we sat, she grabbed my hand and rubbed her thumb along my palm. "You're cute when you're embarrassed."

Leaning forward I busied myself looking at the magazines. "Oh, look, someone famous is pregnant!"

"Braith, Doctor Tenet is ready for you, right through that door."

Saved by the yell! Okay, the redhead didn't yell, but it was the only thing I could think of on such short notice.

Portia squeezed my hand. "Good luck." When I looked back at her, she wasn't teasing me. All I saw on her face was compassion. It took me aback for a second, since she's been nothing but energetic and forward to me for the entire time I've know her. "Thanks. You too."

The examining room was bright. Everything was white and stainless steel so didn't bothering taking my sunglasses off.

The girl stood at the doorway. "If you would take off your clothes and change into the gown, there, the doctor will be right with you."

~O~

The physical went smoothly, I even took the feet up in the stirrups fairly well, before being shipped off to the powers testing lab.

Sangria had supplied the doctor with my powers breakdown, but that didn't seem to totally satisfy him. After witnessing my skin close up immediately after he withdrew some blood, he was willing to believe her about my regenerating abilities. There was a question about whether or not I should be classified with her dexterity since I wasn't the one that was actually doing the work, but in the end I still wound up with the same stats.

"Have you exhibited any other traits that I should be aware of?"

I shook my head, but then Sangria popped back up. "Doctor, when we initially entered Dunwich, my host felt considerable unease. A similar incident occurred near the mid-way point between Whateley and Dunwich. Is there something about these two areas that would have this kind of effect on an underdeveloped Esper talent?"

The doctor looked at me for a moment. "Mid-way to Dunwich you say? Can you describe this feeling?"

I nodded. "Um, giant tarantula crawling up my spine?"

He made some notes of which I wasn't privy to before looking back up at me. "Let me do a little investigating and I'll get back to you regarding some more testing in that area."

"Investigating?"

He nodded. "You may be sensitive to certain stimuli. I need to find out what separates those two places from the rest of society. If you happen upon anymore of these feeling be sure to note your exact location and let me know right away."

"Uh-huh."

~O~

I left a message for Portia that I was going to explore old haunts since I was told that she was going to be a lot longer while they tried to figure out the extent of her powers.

There were so many new building and annexes that Whateley looked like a totally new campus. A few people were walking around with obvious destinations in mind. The sight of the fancy hotel looking cottage led me to only one conclusion. "Has to be for the Alphas."

'What are those two buildings over there, Sangria?'

The first would be Poe and the larger one Hawthorne. I am unsure as to their current policy, but in my day Hawthorne was home to the more severe cases of GSD; those that cannot survive except under special conditions.

'It gets that bad?'

Indeed, though not as a rule.

I looked over at the smaller cottage that appeared more like my own. 'What's their story.'

Poe Cottage is loosely held secret. Those that prefer an alternative lifestyle or are changelings live there.

'Changelings?'

Like you, my love. Those that have transitioned to the opposite sex due to their Body Image Template.

That made me frown. 'Okay, if Poe is for people like me and Portia, then why are we in Whitman?'

Probably because, you've already let everyone in the range of your broadcasts know exactly what has happened to you over the last month, and Portia doesn't care in the least who knows about her sexual preference.

'Oh, good point.'

As I was about to head east to what I knew to be a library, I noticed a girl out in front of Poe kicking her trunk before sitting down on it and placing her face in her hands.

Without another soul in sight I headed over. She was tiny. If the girl broke five feet I'd eat my socks. Sitting on top of her trunk, her feet didn't even touch the ground.

"Are you okay?"

She jumped and slid off the trunk, well, more like fell off. Once she made it to her feet I could see her embarrassed face. "Who are you?"

"My name is Braith. I'm a student here. Having trouble with your trunk?"

She sighed and looked down at it. "Yeah, Belle got called away and told me to wait in my room, except there's nothing to do, and I'm the only one here, and I'm really board, and I've already read everything in my backpack."

My eyes widened at her speedy rant. "How about I give you a hand."

"Really? That would be really nice of you. Most people aren't nice. They leave you hanging around an empty dorm room twiddling your thumbs while they go off doing stuff that they want to do, not caring if you're sitting there with nothing to do, bored out of your mine."

"Uh-huh." Sangria lengthened my hair and grabbed the handles on either side.

"Whoa, your hair moves. That is such a cool power to have. It's really useful, especially if you have an itch in the middle of your back that you can't reach. I had an itch a little while ago, but my back-scratcher is in my trunk, and I can't really open it out here in front of the dorm, because it's near the bottom of the trunk and Belle had to go do something else…"

I was beginning to see why.

"… and that's why I was down here, so I could maybe drag it inside, but there's stairs and I know I'm not strong enough.

"Uh-huh."

The inside of Poe looked pretty much like Whitmore. A little more festive, but pretty much the same. I was afraid to ask the girl what her name was for fear that she was going to tell me her entire lineage. "Upstairs you said?"

She nodded. "Second floor. Thanks. You're really a lifesaver."

"No problem." Once we made it to her room, I set the trunk near the closet on the right side of the room. "Well, I guess I better get going."

The look on her face told me everything I needed to know. She was crestfallen.

"Okay." This time all the excitement was gone from her voice and she looked like she was going to pout, or maybe drown her sorrows in her pillow.

I knew I was going to regret this, probably sometime within the next thirty seconds. "What's your name?"

She looked up at me, hopeful. Her eyes were all glassy, which made me feel bad about wanting to desert her. "Bobby… uh Bobbie Jo Billings."

A split second of panic showed on her face, but she quickly covered it up. I held out my hand. "I'm Braith Brice. It's nice to meet you."

"Braith Brice? I've heard that name somewhe… " Bobbie Jo's eyes bugged out. "You're her?! The Killer of Kentucky? Bloodlust Brice? I knew they had villains here, but, wow! You've killed, what, thirty-seven people, by last count?"

I really need to come up with a codename. "No, just Braith Brice. Not a villain, just me, and it was twenty people at last count, all in self-defense or in the defense of others." Giving her a scowl I spun around and headed out.

"Is it true you have to drink the blood of virgin boys to stay alive? Because, I'm not a boy anymore, well not totally."

"No, I can pretty much drink anyone's blood. Are you volunteering? I am kind of hungry." Okay, I really didn't need to say that, but what the hell. She was starting to piss me off. Killer of Kentucky? Who thinks this shit up?

Bobbie Jo froze at her doorway. "Uh, no. You wouldn't like my blood. Tastes really bad. I'm part bird now, so that W chromosome probably makes it taste like animal blood."

'Sangria, help me out here.'

I turned around and took off my glasses. "I really love the taste of chicken." A strand of hair lifted up and wiped across my lips. "Finger lickin' good."

She went 'Eeep!' and slammed her door.

"Ahh, thanks."

I really am hungry, my love. Perhaps the cafeteria might have something?

~O~

Synthetic human blood, regular human blood, various animals blood, and about fifteen other types were available. Sangria was sucking on her third pint when I butted in. 'Storing up for a rainy day?'

I anticipate my contributions protecting our life to increase significantly over the next few days.

That sparked my curiosity. 'Are you saying we're going to be fighting for our lives here?'

Perhaps not, however it's best to be prepared, is it not?

I glanced around the semi-empty cafeteria in Crystal Hall. 'Anything I can do to help?'

Allow me to increase your hair volume and length. While I can do so at a moment's notice, it does require energy to do so which could be better spent in other areas.

This was news to me. 'Sorry, I didn't think that I was fighting you in keeping it shorter.'

You are not doing this consciously, my love. Your subconscious keeps me in check to social norms. Very few woman, in your experience, wear their hair past the upper third of their back.

I thought about it and she was right. While I did know girls in Kentucky that had butt length hair, it never looked right on them. Mom never let her own go past her shoulder-blades. 'Do whatever you think is best then, Sangria."

She caressed my cheek and the nape of my neck, lovingly before I actually saw my style change. On either side of my head, just in front and above my ears, she braided several finger width strands that hung over my shoulders, down past my knees.

These will be your primary weapons. The braiding increases the tensile strength of the whole.

'Tensile strength? Are you telling me that you can be broken?'

Everything in life has flaws, my love. While I can handle a very large amount of problems that you may encounter, there are Exemplars at Whateley, such as your Brick suitor, Void. He does not possess the training to take advantage of his gift, at the moment, but he could cause problems when he ages and gains experience.

Tiny prickles covered my scalp sending pleasant feelings all over my body. 'What are you doing now?'

Tripling the amount of hair follicle growth for defense.

'You're talking about that cocoon thing you do?'

In part. Against projectile or area based attacks, I must take total control of your protection, which means encasing your body. There are very few things that can penetrate one layer, much less three, however we are at Whateley, and all of those dangers are here in abundance.

That didn't make me feel very good. 'For instance?'

Plasma based weapons are most deadly. Certain mental powers can penetrate my defenses. I have worked on that problem ever since Lacy's death, but will not be able to affect significant change for some time. This is why you must take the Mental Defense course to supplement my failings.

'I'd hardly call it a failing, Sangria.'

I am practical, my love. Unless I can guarantee your total protection from all forms of attack then in must be labeled a failing, and I must take steps to insure that it is rectified. Before I could argue with her she requested more blood. Two more pints should allow me to finish alterations and set me at maximum strength
.

'Two more pints? How much do you normally need, Sangria? You told me one time that you only needed a few drops.'

For normal, non-lethal situations this would be true. Even at your home in Kentucky we were only dealing with mundane opponents. I did not need to stay at top form. Whateley is a different matter.

The lady behind the serving counter didn't argue with the request, which was really weird. This whole situation was. My whole life as a mutant was.

On the way out of the cafeteria, I was eyed by its few occupants. Once I passed the first reflective surface I came upon, I saw why. Sangria was obviously at her prime. She'd increased the length well past my knees, but held it in tighter curls and spread out behind me. It looked like a blood-red halo background to my black encased body. The weight was no different. I would expect something like this would add five or ten pounds, minimum, but with her control I felt virtually nothing. Apparently the laws of gravity didn't apply too much to mutants. But I suppose that's was why they offered all those introductory courses, to explain why things work the way they do.

After checking my phone, I knew I had about fifteen minutes before Gordo was supposed to contact me. With the excess time I went to the front of Shuster, the administration building, and unloaded the last two trunks from the top of the SUV, before setting the auto-navigation system to the storage facility in Dunwich.

I personally didn't like having ready transportation on hand, but unless there was a valid reason, then it was severely frowned upon.

"Whoa, like, new do or what?"

"All done, Portia?" I watched the SUV as it exited the grounds before I turned to my new roommate.

"For the most part." She was distracted, looking at the new additions. "They said I had to come back after I speak with Circe." She finally found my eyes before I received her full attention. "I mean Circe. The real Circe. She's the head of the magic department here."

That sent Sangria on a thinking binge. While I couldn't exactly tell what was going on, I sensed concern and excitement.

"So you're a Wiz."

Portia bounced on the balls of her feet. "Oh yeah," she replied with not a small amount of pride. "Level 4 for sure, but probably a 5. That's why I have to talk to Circe. There were some things that we are suppose to have in common. The doctors didn't want to say anything, like, it was a secret or something."

The ringing coming from my pocket interrupted us. "Hello."

"Hey Braith, it's Gordo."

"You on your way?"

"Testing's over with but they said that they might be able to help Crystal out with her skin. Give us another thirty minutes or so."

Hearing the tone in his voice, I figured he was safe enough. He seemed almost too eager. "You're okay then?"

"Oh, sorry, yeah. We're cool. This place is amazing. We met Mrs. P. She's like someone's abuela, um sorry, grandmother." There was a short pause. "Listen, Braith, I gotta go, they're calling us."

"Alright, give me a call when you're heading back."

"Adios, Defensor."

"Pardon?"

I heard Gordo rapid fire some Spanish, probably to his sister. "I am still working on my English, Braith, forgive me. Defensor is like a protector in Spanish, someone who claims something as his own, and punishes those that would take it from him." He shot more Spanish back to Crystal. "My sister says the closest translation to what I am trying to say would be, vindicator. It is how I think of you."

~O~

While I went to sleep that night, alone in my less than comfortable single bed, I woke up the next morning in Portia's, virtually on top of her. Sangria was covering both of us from the chill in the air. It was a good thing too because I don't remember taking off my sleep-shirt, nor do I remember Portia going to sleep nude.

I was warm, cozy, and well rested, disturbingly so. The feel of her smooth skin against my own, the entire length of my body, felt so incredibly good it was crazy. My head rested above her breasts, my arm under them, clinging to her firm waist, and a single leg wrapped over the both of hers. This couldn't have been comfortable for my roommate, but it was like a little slice of heaven for me, physically. Psychologically, I was worried that I was becoming attached to Portia more than a casual way.

'Sangria, did you bring me over here last night?'

I assisted you, my love. But it was your decision.

'I don't really remember that.'

You were under no compulsion at the time. However, you were not fully awake.

"Good morning, sweetness. Comfortable?"

And here we go with the embarrassing morning conversation. My arm tightened around Portia. "Very."

I could hear her breath rush into her lungs and then release as she chuckled. "I guess we don't need a bigger bed then."

"Nope." Maybe if I kept to one word answers then I wouldn't make things even more embarrassing on my part.

Her hands slid across my thigh, back, through my hair caressing my scalp. One found its way to one of my plump cheeks and kneaded it lightly. "Do I get a good morning kiss, or maybe something more?"

It amazed me how she moved back and forth from being unrestrained in her sexual teasing, yet be so composed when I knew she wanted nothing more than to take advantage of the situation. Was I being unfair? Maybe a little. I really didn't remember climbing naked into her bed and using her as some sort of human pillow, but she seemed to be letting me move at my own pace.

I lifted up off of her chest and looked her in the eyes. There was a slight smile there, somewhat content, somewhat sexually frustrated.

So I kissed her.

I was the one who initiated the kiss this time. It was my choice. There was no clever excuse in the back of my mind rationalizing this away as some sort of experiment to see if I liked kissing girls, or rather this particular girl. It was just there. It was something that I wanted to do.

Shifting my body over hers, I straddled her hips and felt her hands guide me into place. Two were on my thighs, two on my butt, and two sliding up my sides to cup my breasts as I deepened the kiss. I felt Sangria getting active in the groping going on and a thought ran through my head that every relationship until I died was actually going to be a threesome.

I can restrain myself if you would like, my love.

Portia moaned into my mouth sending me a rush of satisfaction that made me feel like I was finally giving something to the world other than misery.

'Do whatever it is you are doing, Sangria. I want to be able to feel again. Please.'

She shifted across my body, tweaking every erogenous zone that was inhumanly possible. Sangria lifted us both up in the air. I felt her wrap us up, slide between our bodies in strategic places. Portia broke away from the kiss, rapidly gasping for air.

"Oh goddess," she moaned. "What are you doing to me?"

"Giving you what you most desire, magic user. You yearned for my host. She claims you as her own. Now relax and experience what is means to be our lover."

Portia's eyes widened and I could see whatever Sangria was doing, my lover liked it. Her arms tightened around me, pulling me to her and groaned into my neck as I felt her shudder in release.

~O~

A single pint of random animal blood was all Sangria required for the morning after spending a little less than two hours in our room exploring exactly what she meant when she said those last words to Portia. Lets just say that all areas of both of our bodies have been thoroughly introduced to what it means.

My regenerative abilities let me walk with a normal stride and sit in normal comfort. Portia wasn't as lucky, but she was not complaining in the slightest. There was more than a satisfied glow about her relaxed face and smile. It was like watching a cat stretch in a warm beam of sunshine. Little movements here and there betrayed what she was thinking as we ate our breakfast in silence.

Okay, there's one gigantic advantage in living at Whateley. I haven't seen such a wide variety of fruit in my life, of which I was taking great advantage. My diet had been so restricted by my little local store in the mountains that I had forgotten what natural diversity there was in the world.

"Buenos Dias senoritas."

Gordo and a very pretty Mexican girl were standing beside the table holding their trays. It actually took me a second to figure out that the pretty girl was Crystal. Guess that tells you how much my brain had turned to Jello that morning. "Hey… Crystal?"

The girl smiled and nodded her head rapidly. "My sister asks if we can join you for breakfast."

I smiled. "Yeah, you don't need to ask permission. Sit down. Crystal, you look gorgeous."

She looked at her brother and frowned when she saw him stuffing his face with a muffin. Looking back at me, she closed her eyes and nodded her thanks for my compliment. It was a whole lot easier to figure out her expressions now that she had skin again.

"How'd they change you back?"

Gordo swallowed and sipped at a milkshake, for breakfast mind you. "She's not changed. They gave her something to spray on the places that she wants to look normal." He leaned in and whispered, "We're supposed to keep it a secret. They said some student here developed it and they got a hold of the formula through, um…"

"Illegal means?"

Gordo smiled. "Something like that, yeah."

I looked over at Crystal. "Your secret's safe with me."

"What's up with her?"

Portia sighed with a contented smile on her face.

"Uh, she had a good morning, I think."

I nearly jumped when I felt my roommate's foot brush up my leg. Crystal looked back and forth between us for a few seconds before she smiled as well.

"Mornin'" Woodchuck set his tray down next to Portia and Void sat down next to me.

Portia wrapped an arm around the furriest member of the Morlocks and scratched him behind his ear. "Good morning Chuck. Isn't it a beautiful morning?"

Void was in his visible skin phase and he had a weird look on his face. "Insect girl okay?"

"I'm just beautiful this morning, Void, thank you. How are you?"

His green eyes shifted to me then back to her. "Uh… beautiful?"

Portia just smiled back, genuinely cheerful. "That's beautiful."

Oh brother. Topic change time, before anyone else, other than Crystal, started to twig on what Portia and I did this morning. "I picked a codename."

Void was holding a little foil bag like they use for those juice drinks where kids stick the straw in the side.

"Hey, I thought you didn't eat."

I got a big grin from him. "It's something the doctors call Iotrex. They use it to treat cancer."

I backed away. "Is it radioactive?"

He chuckled. "I could be holding plutonium in my hand right now and you would be okay. I really suck up the radiation. This is like a daily dose so my skin is normal. They couldn't do anything about the eyes. So, I need to buy a pair of sunglasses."

"That's beautiful."

Void glanced over to my roommate. "Thanks." Leaning in closer to me he whispered. "Is she stoned or something?"

"I have a new codename," I renounced.

"Oh yeah," remembered Void. "What'd you pick?"

"Well Gordo gave me the idea when we talked yesterday. Vindicator." Everyone looked at me weird. "What? I ran into some ADHD kid yesterday and she recognized my real name. I thought it would be easier if I used the codename."

Void shrugged. "It could go either way, I guess."

"What could?"

"Your name. If you wanted to go good or evil. Vindicator is right in the middle."

"I'm not evil."

"But you're not the perfect picture of good either, chica," said Gordo. "You got a rep."

I frowned. "Yeah, she called me the Killer of Kentucky and Bloodlust Brice." Poking at the last bits of pineapple on my plate I set my fork down.

"I think it's beautiful, baby."

My eyes widened for a second. "Uh, thanks Portia."

"Baby?" Void didn't seem pleased with that particular term of endearment.

It was really past the time for another topic change. "So, what cottage are you two in?"

Gordo was frozen in mid chew, staring at me and Portia when it finally dawned on him. Ah, crap. He jumped and then grabbed at his shin under the table while glaring at his sister. "We're in Melville."

My mouth dropped opened. "You're an Alpha?"

"What? No. That's where they stay, yeah. But there's only two co-ed dorms and they didn't want us at Poe for some reason. My sister insists that we room together because of the language thing. The doctors at ARC arranged it. Paying for Whateley too."

That surprised me. "Why are they doing that?"

Gordo shrugged. "The old lady, she's getting old and says that my sister is her negligee."

What?

The large Morlock looked at his sister who was rolling her eyes. "Oh sorry, I mean protégée."

That makes a little more sense.

You remember that creepy giant tarantula feeling that I experienced outside of Dunwich? It was back and getting closer. I turned in my seat and saw this girl entering the cafeteria. Her skin was dark colored and I'd swear she looked like an elf or maybe a fairy, with pointed ears, big wide eyes, the works. She went through the same serving line as I did to get Sangria's blood. That meant she dieted on something funky.

"Braith?" Void asked, wondering what had me so interested.

"Hold on a sec."

When she came out, she was holding a cage with a sickly looking beagle inside, and it was alive. Her eyes found mine and I could see a fine eyebrow arch in my direction. 'What is she gonna do with that?'

I would assume she is going to eat it, my love.

'A puppy! She's going to eat a puppy, here?!'

I would hardly categorize that fully grown, and apparently quite ill canine, a puppy.

'But it's a puppy.'

She sat at an empty table on the other side of the room and set the cage on the floor before looking back at me. My mouth had gone dry as I watched in morbid fascination while she stuck her hand inside the cage and grabbed the puppy by the neck before it disappeared into a puff of dust.

Perhaps staying away from this particular mutant would be in high order, my love. I have no idea how she accomplished that feat.

'She set off the creepy feeling, Sangria.'

I stood and was halfway across the cafeteria before the dark girl chose to rise from her seat. Determination crossed her features and I saw a glimmer of light reflect off of some wicked looking claws at her fingertips. Stopping in the middle of the room, Sangria spread herself out a little.

"Nice hair," she said.

I looked at hers, which was almost the exact same color as mine. Her skin looked like she hadn't seen the sun in ages. Mine was definitely more white, but then again, I was unnatural; she just looked goth. I swallowed. "What's your name?"

Her eyes narrowed for a second then moved to my left. "Hey, Crystal. Is this a friend of yours?"

Gordo appeared on the other side of me. "Hi, Sara. This is…"

"My name is Vindicator."

"Sara works at ARC too," explained Gordo. "She's cool."

I turned my head a little toward my large friend. "Cool? She's setting off my weird-o-meter like it's the fourth of July."

"My sister says that she is…"

"What's a weird-o-meter?" asked Sara the goth elf-like girl.

Slipping off my sunglasses, I took a better look at her. She was stunningly beautiful in a 'I'm going to rip your heart out and tongue the juices off while I fuck you to death' way. "It tells me something's not right about you."

The girl actually laughed. "You have no idea. Have a nice day, Vindicator."

She finger-waved at me with those deadly looking claws before grabbing the empty cage and placing it on a table and leaving.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun!

So they've arrived at Whateley, met Sara and been introduced to Jobe's spray-on-skin formula.

Living in Whitman, Braith and Portia will probably meet the Lit Chix, Diamondback and the Fury Twins. It'll be interesting to see what Braith / Sangria think of TK - Jade (who proves appearances can be deceptive), Billie (the Ryoko clone), Nikki (the other redhead), Toni (Miss Hyperactive), Chou (the swordmaiden), Ayla (the Goodkind), and Hank (TK brick).

Meanwhile, although the codename "Vindictor" doesn't appear to be taken, there is a clique called "The Vindicators" (Kismet the mangler & co.) who might be a bit upset, but as they're a fairly ineffectual bunch in combat, that might not be such a bit problem :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Team Kimba

They might meet up with a few of the rest, but I don't want to turn this into a Sangria/Kimba story. I'm going somewhere specific that actually needs Sara in the mix. But they'll probably be in the background in certain scenes. I couldn't do justice to half the characters on Kimba anyway. I can see Destiny's Wave (Chou's sword) and Sangria knowing each other, maybe even Fey/Queen (I can never remember her name) as well.

What I really want to know is, what would happen if Sangria sucked on Tennyo's blood. That would be cool. ;) (Braith's head would probably explode.)

I've gone a little AU with Jobe's spray-on skin. Since the Book of Jobe was suppose to take place late Jan early Feb in canon I think.

Will they meet the Lit Chicks? Mmmm most likely. I really want Sangria to go head to head with that Finson girl in Whitman. I hear she's trouble with a capital T.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Meeting TK / Jobe's skin

I didn't expect for one minute you'd have the Morlocks joining together with TK, or even interacting with them that much - I was more interested in the "first impressions" - i.e. what impressions of them a character who doesn't know anyone in TK (or even their reputation!) would form upon seeing (but not necessarily meeting) them. And perhaps even in some cases, contrasting or divergent opinions between Braith and Sangria...

As for Jobe's spray-on-skin, IIRC the canon stories don't mention when he first created it, just that he used a can to cover his conversion to Drow in a few weeks' time. If I'm right, then he could potentially have developed it beforehand and had a few cans sitting on his shelf in the labs He may have even been persuaded to hand a couple of cans over to Doyle. However, since he evidently hasn't decided to mass-produce or market it yet, then the existence of the product would have to be kept under wraps. Not to mention Jobe himself might not approve of giving the product to fellow students...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

In canon

This skin is a product of Greasy - who has machine oil as skin secretion and developed artificial skin for cover-ups. He became popular briefly among the Workshops public during the Great Shoulder Angel Conspiracy, when it made a very realistic skin for the angels.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Applause

I'm very impressed by your take on the Whateley Academy universe. I think the bits of tech you sprinkle are much like how "theBob" did in his stories, backstory without info dump. The unfolding of the Morlocks plus Sara just fits. I almost never comment on unfinished arcs but what der heck, two thumbs up Lilli.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the info dump. Anyone that's read a Whateley story (at the beginning at least) has seen all there is to see about classifications, tours, MCO, Power Suits, etc. Unless there is something fresh about any of those topics they don't really need to be explored yet again.

One thing I'm not going to do is introduce any of Team Kimba without a reason. There's a reason behind Sara entering the picture at this point, so she does fit, thank you. As I said above, Sangria might know some of the people/avatars/things/whatever that have been around for a while. So they might interact at some point.

Thanks for taking the time to drop a line, even if you don't normally do so. The one thing about Whateley stories is that they really don't end, as of yet. An ongoing universe like this has much potential for growth. So, this story might not have an ending. I will, however, try to bring each episode to a conclusion so that it can be "complete" this one is a two-part story since they are still settling in and getting a lay of the land.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Finger-lickin' good!!

The part about chicken was hilarious! I love how you can manage to make a story dark AND humorous.

So the Morlocks made it to Whateley, yay! ^_^

Elizabeth sounds like a cold-hearted bitch. She probably has her reasons, but showing a bit of humanity would help her students feel at ease >_>

Portia and Braith? They adorable. Also, they get my blood pumping. Love it. Need a cold shower.

I love how protective Braith is of the Morlocks. That's a very fitting codename. And I'm dying to know what sets off Braith's weird-o-meter!

Thanks for the read Lilith. I was lucky and read the story immediately as you posted it, so half of the slider bar wasn't comments :-D


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick looking for someone who doesn't give a damn about her past"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

If you remember "Creepshow"

If you remember "Creepshow" from the old days, or maybe "Tales from the Crypt" they are my Dark/horror/comedy inspirations.

Elizabeth can be bitchy (that's canon) but she usually has a reason. There's a reason in this case.

Don't forget, it was Portia/Braith/Sangria. It's always gonna be a threesome from here on out. ;) Take a hot shower... bring a friend, have fun!

The Weird-o-meter is an easy one if you've read a specific Jade story and any of the Sara stories. The connection is fairly obvious actually, but you have to have read those to know.

LOL at the side bar thing. Even then, weren't you looking over there and saying to yourself, 'damn it's already half way down, that means its gonna be finished soon' It's disconcerting either way for me

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Slider bar

Definitively a "half-way down" moment. But I was pleasantly surprised this time!

PS: Can't wait for part 2.


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick looking for someone who doesn't give a damn about her past"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

Bah! Sidebar... What sidebar?

Diesel Driver's picture

Sorry, when I'm reading your stories I forget there is a sidebar and I could look to see where I am. I'm always surprised by the end of a section/chapter.

Chris in CA

Chris

That Finson girl in Whitman?

Oh, my. Lifeline does have some abilities that she isn't all that proud of but can be lethal rather quickly if they aren't controlled carefully. Though she normally doesn't use that to extremes she has done so in recorded memory (as in since she first appeared in the Whateley stories. *grin* But she's actually a pretty nice person most of the time. For a mage.

Oh for those of you who dont know, that would be one of the Lit Chicks, who were patterned from the canon authors at Whateley. There is a Lit Chick for each of us there. Kind of like letting ourselves really play in that uni instead of being the Powers That Be with it, if you know what I mean.

I like your approach to Whateley, and your intent to not become too embroiled with the Kimbas. There are more than enough stories around with that going on, so one that isn't aiming for that is good. I do like Sangria/Braith, as I believe I mentioned in your last run of stories with them.

I'll look forward to your next part of this one, and any others you might decide to do later.

Maggie

Sangria/Kimbas

I have been all over the stories section at Crystal Hall, so I'm hopping around everywhere trying to make sure I don't totally wreck canon items. Just recently I started the first Lit Chicks story and almost sprayed the screen when I saw the character names. I was like, "Oh, they didn't!... yep, they did." Now, of course, I must have fun.

We're thinking along the same lines then (i.e. Sangria/Kimbas) I try to look at it realistically. They are freshmen, well known freshmen, but freshmen nonetheless. It's only been a short time (canon-wise) since they started Whateley, so realistically everything can't revolve around them. Hence the couple of dozen other cliques, groups, etc. With the sheer amount of stories that are out there already, it'll get kind of boring to redo much that has already been done. I can see doing a 'lost scene' or a 'what-if'. I still want to know what happened after the Fey/Sara blood-oath. Were there camera's in the room?

Thanks Maggie!

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Vindicator

Can't say I like the new codename much. Too butch and too cold. I think I'd prefer something cutesy and ironic. "Cuddles" or "Pookie", for instance.

Besides, if you're going for a descriptive name, you couldn't do very much better than Medusa.

Nothing really wrong with "Braith," anyway. It's not like anyone's not going to recognize her or something.

fun fun

I'm kinda with Pippa on the name... besides there being a Sims team already using it, I'm kinda curious why she didn't go with the original offering that was 'translated' to Vindicator (Defensor... which is close enough to Defender to imply similar traits, but is unlikely to have been picked up as a US codename... it also ties into Sangria, language wise). But who knows why kids these days do the things they do... ;) I do think people will recognize her, though. In fact, given the media coverage she has had; I have to wonder how much having a code name is going to matter for her. It'd be like Scott Summers (Cyclops) trying to change his name to something else. It's a unique enough power set and manifestation that its unlikely that there is anyone else like it.

When it comes to interactions with existing characters, I'm with Maggie in saying its good to see a parallel take without much direct interaction with the core group. Besides the difficulties of interacting with storylines that have either already happened (to retcon yourself into the story) or having to be psychic enough to predict what's going to happen in future stories... and the inevitable disparity when you miss something; you also don't want to stand in the shadow of characters that have had years of development while you create your own take on things.

One thing you might want to think about: the Morlocks were a part of the Marvel universe (showing up in the X-Men storyline for a good while in the late 80's, early 90's). If you 'want' a tie in to Ayla or another subplot, you might consider having Marvel file an injunction against her for claiming her group to be the 'Morlocks.' Someone might recommend that she talk to Ayla (are you up on the recent acquisition of controlling interest in the Marvel businesses?) or with the administration about the name issue...

Overall though, I still love the direction you're going with the story and I'm enjoying the trouble with relationships. I'm also a little curious about just what happened 'off screen' that fried Portia's braincells... was it just innocent pleasure blowing her mind... or was there more to 'claiming her' that we've seen so far?

Marvel vs Brice: The Lawsuit

Well, she's not registered her codename as of yet, and that's a whole other scene that I'm using for comedic value, so you'll have to wait and see for that one.

Ditto with the Sangria/Kimbas interaction. That would be a nightmare trying to keep up with continuity, not knowing what they have planned in the short term. Staying out of their limelight is best all around for now.

LOL, I like the idea with Marvel. Perhaps the estate of H.G. Wells can get involved as well, but I'm not up on relevant copyright laws with something that old. I'm sure some or all of his works are considered public domain by now.

Poor Portia, are you saying that I'll have to write an omake of their love scene? That might embarrass her. Considering their age range I wouldn't say it was out of the realm of possibility that the sheer pleasure of the experience would be enough to blow her mind, considering Sangria has 3000+ years of experience to call upon. Whether there was more behind 'claiming her,' I can't say as of yet.

;)
~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Interaction, Code Names

I'm not a fan of trying to do justice to another author's characters, either. I tend to keep it to a minimum.

As for code names... I can't see where Marvel can justify stealing Wells's characters, while complaining that someone else did the same thing.

I suspect that all of Wells's books are out of copyright, so stealing the names shouldn't be a problem.

Within the United States,

Within the United States, any book first published before 31 December 1922 is in the public domain. Works published after that remain in copyright for 95 years from first publication. He was publishing books up until 1945 so some of his stories are still under copyright.

In the UK his body of work goes out of copyright in 12/31/2016.

However, The Time Machine, where Morlocks were first written about, was first published in 1895, so it's free range on that one.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Being "loved" properly can do that to you

Diesel Driver's picture

I can see where the effect on Portia could be that way, after all, Hippy was accused of being a pod person (sort of) after she and Sara had their first love session.

Chris in CA

Chris

Pookie? Okay, I'm changing

Pookie? Okay, I'm changing it to Pookie. As for "Medusa," she changed her name for a reason. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that nobody knows her as Medusa which will become apparent once she meets some specific girls at Whitman. So, she's, for lack of a better term, laying low.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Medusa and her patron goddess...

It might not be good for the re-minted Venus to know that Sangria is Medusa. I could see Sangria wanting to seek revenge... or maybe not. She was definitely on the wrong end of some serious injustice.

As for her reputation as 'Bloodlust Brice,' I think that it would actually make her more popular at Whateley. After all, nobody there likes the MCO much.

Heh. So they're in Whateley

And already they are attracting attention. Some more than the others, but...
So Braith can feel Sara, and other otherworldly influences. And she has discovered (gasp) shopping! Seriously, fifteen bags?! And with what I read about the items inside... Is she planning a Prank War of the Year?!!
Sara and Braith, Carmilla and Vindicator... They say opposites attract, so maybe similars repel? There is certainly a lot they may not quite like about each other.

So far, it has just been a day, and there is little happening - but the classes have yet to start. As it is, there are a few issues that will present themselves quite soon:
---Bobbie Jo Billings - will likely tell everyone that Braith is on campus. I expect a few visitors from Poe and many more from Bobbie's classes.
---Sara - will also be interested in Braith, if only because of the weird-o-meter and the fact Crystal and Gordo are friends to Braith.
---Lit Chix, Secret Squirrels - to damn nosy for their own good
---New Olympians - self-explanatory
---Vindicators - just as well, so Braith may decide to change her codename to Defensor after all... I only to not be associated with this group

Also, while Susan is to meet Circe, nobody said nothing about Braith. Perhaps she may accompany Portia and be given a heads-up.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Fifteen bags. Remember that

Fifteen bags. Remember that they have very little for amenities, and Sangria was nice enough to carry Portia's bags as well. :) Plus that Mr. Goo's Really Super Glue took up a bag by itself. No prank war, just self-defense... okay, maybe a couple of pranks.

Sara/Braith: Obviously Braith is majorly creeped out by Sara so she won't be able to stay in her presence for too long and still have a coherent mind. Imagine trying to concentrate on classwork while spiders are running up and down your back. So, there's definite repelling going on.

Bobbie-Jo: I'd say that's a given.
Sara: Ditto
Lit Chix, Secret Squirrels: Ditto, yet again.
New Olympians: Special fun to be had in that regard. I was hoping to get far enough into this chapter to introduce them to the storyline, but I was running long as it was.
Vindicators: To come, next chapter.
Circe: Sangria seemed interested in hearing about her presence on campus. All I'm going to say on that one.

You seem to have an idea as to what Braith's Weird-o-meter is sensing. It sounds like you know what it is. It's not a secret. I just shaped the story that way because Braith has no idea what's going on. I have a semi-squished twinkie for anyone that can tell me what's half-way between Dunwich and Whateley, AND a 3/4 empty package of Oreo Double-Stuff for someone that can tell me what she first felt upon entering Dunwich. (The second one is not canon as of yet, but should be considering the background of the world.)

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Lovecraft

I kind of dropped out of following the entire Whateley canon. It got away from me, although it was sure a lot of fun to start with. I'm sure the first question comes from a specific story, one I probably haven't read. As for the second question, with the hint that it's not canon but should be for being part of this "world," I'm not going to hazard a full guess on that, either, but I will say I suspect it has something to do with H.P. Lovecraft's disturbing little universe, perhaps some remnant of "The Dunwich Horror."

Dunwich Horror

I've noticed that the canon writers are picking certain elements from Lovecraft canon, demon names, GOO's, Elder Gods, et al., but they are also changing certain things.

For instance: When Sara's dad showed up when she was being sacrificed on some altar, nobody went crazy insane from the horror of seeing him. But there was also the scene in one of the stories where a character came across a "gate" and couldn't get too close because it was freaking her out so much just being near it.

Maybe the GOO's can be selective as to how they show their power of freakiness. In Lovecraft's world you either died, went insane, went insane and became a follower, or went insane and killed yourself. One of the few stories where the good guys won was, "The Dunwich Horror," but even then, the 'horror' wasn't actually a GOO, more like Sara in Monster form... and big.

I think I'm bringing in Cthulhu from Neil Gaiman's "I Cthulhu" into the story... just for fun. Here's the link if you are interested. It's a very short story, and Whateley stars in it!

http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories/I_Cthulhu

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Fine Bit...

...of absolute silliness, if a smidge sophomoric for my taste. Hadn't heard of Neil Gaman before. Droll fellow, evidently. Mockery isn't flattery, though.

Neil G. is really famous in

Neil G. is really famous in the comic book genre for his "Sandman" series. Original fiction for his award winning "American Gods," the BBC Miniseries, "Neverwhere," tons of movies, books, I think a recent screenplay of "Coraline" and "Stardust"

Very talented. One of my favorites.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Sara's father (Gothmog) is a

Sara's father (Gothmog) is a demon, but not part of the elder god side of things. He's just the average other-planar entity with a power base in the lust business. Michael Waite's mother is the side of the family with the GOO connections.

Ugg...

Not to contradict a canon author, but... Wasn't Gothmog a son of Egyptian princess and Yog-Sothoth?

In Ayla and the Tests, parts 6 and 8 it is confirmed that Gothmog is an offspring of one of the GOOs.
In Merry 5, part 2 - that he is tied to ancient Egypt.

And to top it all off - Canon "Field Guide to Chthulhu Mythos" excerpt

Gothmog: Every modern human is somewhat familiar to the story of Joeseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Gothmog, the Great Old One, is intimately familiar with the tale since Joeseph, a Sorcerer, convinced his grandfather, Pharaoh, to sacrifice his own daughter to Shub-Niggurath in return for the years of bounty that proceeded the prophesied drought. His mother, Sara, was raped and impregnated by Shub-Niggurath, who died birthing him minutes later. Gothmog granted Joeseph and Pharaoh their request before deserting Egypt forever. Though he was part human, he retained the powers of a full GOO as all the children of the Outer Gods do (Yog Sothoth's sons are similar) and, uncharacteristically concerned for humanity, he retreated to the spirit realms to become a Demon Prince of Perversion. It was also prophesied that he would only have one child by the only love of his life. It has to be said that Gothmog is completely uncharacteristic among the GOOs as he sides against them for the fate of humanity and life itself despite the threat Cthulhu presents to his continued existence. In the early part of the century, J.R.R. Tolkien (a noted pilferer of names from ancient legends) named a minor character after him.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Lovecraft

Damn... I see I'm going to need to bone up on my Lovecraft reading as well, if I'm going to be able to pull off this story. There's too many people that are Lovecraft aficionados. There's no messing with a fanboy in his element. Or fangirl for that matter. I've been poked a few times already, nothing harsh, but still. ;)

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Whateley and the GOOs

Sara and her father are unusual GOOs in terms of their relationship to mankind. Both by being not insanity-inducing and by treating people nicely.

But in general, meeting a GOO in the Whateleyverse is just as unhealthy as in Lovecraft's stories and even their minions are dangerous to one's sanity. For an example, read Renae's "Petra 1" where Petra is up against Mythos stuff.
The difference to Lovecraft is that the Whateleyverse has some characters that are capable of fighting back. Fey in her previous incarnation as Sidhe queen did so with some success, and Tennyo is supposed to have the powers of the Destroyer, a living anti-GOO weapon from eons past.

loving it

While I really am loving the whole series as I read, the little innuendoes are cracking me up .... so far my favorite has to be the "you will respect my authoritie" ala Eric Cartman just blew me away thanx