Swan Song

Printer-friendly version

I wrote this story probably in 2000 and published it in 2001 on Storysite. At the time, I don't think I had any idea where life would take me; certainly not to transition. It is true, and short. This really did happen to me.

Swan Song by: Credence Browne (Now Gwen Brown)

I stood on the seat of the couch, looking out the window, wanting to go outside. Pointing outside, I began talking in my little child's voice. "I want to go mom." I said.

Mom said, "You'll get all dirty, dear, and spoil your nice dress." I looked down at my clothing. I was wearing a yellow dress today. She'd just removed the curlers from my blonde baby hair. I was at first unhappy and fussed. She sat me on her lap and hugged me tightly. "Dear, I love you so much. You are such a pretty little girl.

I enjoyed the attention and the love. It was pleasant to listen to mom and another woman talk about things. I'd always enjoy listening to my mother and her friends or my sister and her friends talk. It made me feel as if I belonged.

The boys were not nice to me. I was too little, a girl.

I loved the feel of my pretty long hair. Its silken sheen brushed against my face in a sensual way that made me feel special.

I got to play outside with them once in a while but I hated getting dirty, and mom didn't like it either. My dress always got in the way at first, but as I grew I became more able to manage it.

One day I came into the living room. My mother was upset. She was arguing with a man, a stranger who'd come into our house a few days back.

"Lucille, he is not a girl. He needs a good whipping and a hair cut," he said. Things really seemed to break apart when I came into the room. Suddenly, he turned on me.

Mom seemed to be about to cry. "Oh Cliff, she's such a pretty little girl," She sobbed.

His countenance was frightening. Confused, I just stood there, I hadn't learned to fear him yet, hadn't felt his anger or the violence of his belt hitting me.

Suddenly he grabbed me by the arm and hoisted me into a chair atop a pile of catalogs and phone books.

Anyone remember how hard it was to sit on a pile of books?

Out came an odd looking tool; he began to pull my hair with it. I had no idea that they were hand held clippers. I'd never seen any before. I couldn't remember my older brothers having their hair pulled. Theirs was too short. I had no idea that soon mine would be much shorter.

It was frightening to listen to his angry voice, the sobs of my mother and have my hair pulled. Soon, the shorn locks began to fall in my face, on my shoulders and onto the floor. The pulling hurt awfully. I began to cry. This made him even angrier.

"God damn you little shit. Shut up or I'll give you a real reason to cry," he said. That was even more frightening. I cried even more.

I still remember the swish and snap of his belt as it came out of his pants. He held me up by one arm and began to beat me on the seat. My mother's sobs were even more upsetting and I had no idea how to calm her.

I finished that afternoon lying on the bed, bereft of my beautiful hair and very frightened of this new man in my life. I'd learn to hate and fear him. I'd never want to be like him. I'd be afraid I was like him or worse even his bastard son.

Through the years I've always remembered those lovely days when I was a girl, my mother loved me and I was happy. I still remember the lovely yellow dress and my long hair.

Several other times as I grew up, I attempted to return to those pleasant days, only to receive taunting admonitions to stop being a sissy. They had no idea that is exactly what I wanted to be. I was always too frightened to live my own life.

Over the years not a day has passed that I did not wish I were a woman. Too many responsibilities, too many cares, too many to care for. Those in my life care for me only in ways, which seem right to them, not me.

It is nearly over now, too late to change anything. Perhaps if there is a God, I shall get another life where I can be what I was born to be. If not, I hope there is no other life. I'd simply like to lie down and have silence with no more pain.

*********************************************
 © 2001 by Credence Browne. All Rights Reserved. These documents (including, without limitation, all articles, text, images, logos, compilation design) may printed for personal use only. No portion of these documents may be stored electronically, distributed electronically, or otherwise made available without express written consent of the copyright holder.

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

No, I am Not suicidal again.

The last line is simply how I wrote the story in 2000. I had returned from Kenya in April 2001. I published it after that and before the 9/11 incident. I had not remembered being conflicted enough to be thinking of suicide before a Christian Missions trip. Life is strange init?

Khadijah

Thinking back is hard

Since I have started writing more less my story in the serial "So, here I am", I have been going through many emotional experiences that happened to me again. It is both extremely hard and very thrilling at the same time. The things, both good and bad, that have happened to us has made us who we are today. If things had been different, maybe we would not even be here now. Who knows. I just feel that everything that made me who I am was needed to get me to where I am today. Sorry for rambling but it just needed to come out.
It was a very nice piece.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

I'm so sorry that you had such an awful childhood,

but I'm SO glad you didn't do away with yourself. The world would have been minus a beautiful soul, and I would be minus a dear, dear friend.

Life IS strange, and we constantly have to adapt and change to meet it's vicissitudes and changing tides. Through it all though, some things remain static and precious, and one of those things is friends who stick with us through thick and thin.

It's said that friends come and go, but families are always there for us. I guess that's only true as long as one lives one's life according to what the family wants and expects.

In our case, friends are what makes life bearable for most of us who are fighting to be who we truly believe ourselves to be, gender wise.

I know my life would be much poorer without the friends I have met and made, online. I count you, Khadijah as one of the best. Thank you for blessing my life with your friendship.

Soft hugs and love always,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

soap bubble

kristina l s's picture

A lovely little idyll, at least it seems that way and then, you see that prick coming and no more rainbow. Not really nice but neatly told. Credence Browne? Really? Never heard of a Credence except of course the band. I hope it helps, this writing thing.

Kristina

My first choice, Credence

It was my first choice as a name way before I thought of transition. The name was popular in the 17th and 18th Centuries. I had entirely forgotten having used it, and in retrospect, now feel that when one transitions, their new name should be entirely different than the old one. There is not much difference between Gwinn and Gwen, and I retained my old last name; wouldn't do it again.

Many Blessings

Khadijah

Swan Song

Gwen, If I was him, I'd have let you be yourself. I am glad that you are who you are.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Dear Khadijah

I'm very sorry about that time in your childhood. It seems so extreme and horrible. Did you ever find out why your mother would marry such a terrible persyn? The action seems so stark, just from white to black in an instant. From everything you wanted to nothing at all. It's understandable that some A H homophobic, misogynistic guy would do that, but just picturing what you had and lost is, I think, even traumatic for us. Just the idea that a child, who had everything that we either want or have empathy for, could be stripped of all the "nicest things" so brutally and completely is hard to accept. I wish all that bigotry and hate and brutality would just stop.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Nicely put Renee

The telling had me spellbound, half jealous, fully horrified, and very moved.
Gosh.
XX
AD

I was born on 3/3/47. Those

I was born on 3/3/47. Those times were so different from now days. Mom was from a fruit migrant/dust bowl family and had been abused by her own father. He was also a drunk and a lay pastor in the Church a Christ. Now days it is known that children that come from that sort of background are likely to act out in an antisocial manner, and she did. In later years, my siblings and I all think that she was perhaps bipolar.

In those days, women were treated even worse than they are now, so it is my guess that she married my step father to seek security. I doubt that she had any idea that he would be so abusive to her and her children. From hearing her shreiks through paper thin walls at night, I think he did some really nasty things to her, but at my age, what could I do about it? And, she may have had the same pathological connection between pain and pleasure that I do.

In the mid 50's, Mom still thought that women were not allowed to own property, in spite of the women's property rights law that was enacted in around 1860.

He tried some of the same brutal stuff with my older siblings, but the boys just beat the hell out of him when he did. He did not seem to mess with my step sister much but one day he told her that she was not going to college and she was gone the next morning. So, here I was, half the size of my brothers, very effiminate, and weak, so I was um fresh meat to him. My little brother even theorizes that he was sexually attracted to me and was in fact a latent homosexual. There was also causative factors in his own youth that taught him the brutality.

It was never in my own life, however.

Many Blessings

Khadijah

This hurts to hear...

Andrea Lena's picture

...since I heard it as well.
"Shut up or I'll give you a real reason to cry," he said. That was even more frightening. I cried even more.
The pain of being betrayed was more hurtful than any physical pain my father could inflict. I weep now and I weep with you dear heart. I am so glad to know you and I hope you come to find that solace and peace you deserve.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Marvelous story

I stumbled onto this older story and am glad i found it. You have mastered the art of writing in a way that really connects with your readers.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg