What Mother Didn't Know - Chapter 23

Printer-friendly version

What Mother Didn't Know - Chapter XXIII

Part I - Sue's dilemma

When I woke up, it was already after twelve. I got up, and got out my clothes for the day. I went in and started my bath. Cindy was over, and when she heard me in the bathroom, she came out of Bobbie's room and talked to me.

"Hey sleepyhead, it's about time you woke up. How do you feel?"

"I feel okay. I was just drained yesterday for some reason. How is Angie doing?"

"Angie's fine. She's downstairs with mom having a popsicle."

"Oh! That should be nice and messy." We giggled, and I turned off the water. I brushed my teeth and sat in the tub to let the suds wash away the stress.

"Well, I will let you take your bath in peace. Come in Bobbie's room when you're dressed."

"Okay."

I just sat there and soaked, and was thinking about mother again. I really would like to see her again, but this time, if she cannot see me for the girl I really am physically and mentally, then I should just forget about seeing her at all. If she calls me a boy, and tells me that I was always a good boy, then it isn't worth the effort because then she refuses to see what she did wrong. I will have to talk to Mr. Marks, mom and daddy about this too.

Of course though, I always did talk to mom when mother was on the warpath. So if she cannot see me for who I really am, then what's the use? I have a decent family right here, and when things are bothering me, we talk about it. Bobbie and Cindy have been closer to me than my mother has ever been, and mom too. Mr. Marks was always there too telling me to let him know what was going on. I guess the final straw came when I had my physical and mother still refused to see what she had done wrong. Well like mom said, I didn't a have a girlhood, but I will have a teeenage girl life. I guess I'm really happy that all of this is happening to me now, instead of say, ten or more years from now.

The water started getting cool, so I washed all over, and pulled the plug. I rinsed off what suds were left, making sure not to get my hair wet. I dried, and went to get dressed. Since today is Saturday, I figured bumming around clothes would be cool. I got out just simple white lingerie, and put that on. I put on a pair of knee high, double knit socks, and then sat down and put on the makeup mom allowed us to wear. After the foundation and powder, and the mascara was on, I got into my black jeans that had a rose on each back pocket, and my cream colored, double knit, rib sweater with a cowl neckline. I put my hair into a high pony tail, and surveyed the damage in the mirror. I was ready for the day. I went in Bobbie's room, and she was busy sorting through her clothes to see what she wanted to keep, or what she didn't need any more.

"Hey."

"Hey yourself, sleepyhead. Do you feel better now?"

"Yes, Bobbie, I do. Thank you for taking care of Angie for me."

"Hey! We're family now, and family helps family. Besides Angie is so cute. Mom took her downstairs to have a popsicle."

"Cindy told me. That should be nice and messy. So...what's the plan for today? Why are you looking through all of your clothes?"

"Oh, just to see what I want and don't want. If I put an outfit in this pile to my right, they are what I am keeping. The pile to my left is what I don't want or need any more. But I can't make up my mind on certain outfits, so they go in the middle." I smiled when I saw the indecision pile was bigger than the other two. "I was thinking sis, that maybe you can use a few of the ones I am getting rid of."

"Does mom know you're doing this?"

"Yes." I could see it in her eyes that mom didn't know, but Bobbie hoped she wouldn't get an argument from mom about what she was doing.

"Well, I'm going down and have something to eat. Wanna come with?"

"That sounds good," they both said together.

We went downstairs and in the kitchen. When Angie saw me, her face lit up like a light bulb.

"Sithy!" She yelled.

"Hey munchkin. I see you have a popsicle."

"Yeth.

"Yes, cherry even. Nice and messy."

Everybody giggled, and Angie had that infectious two year old smile. "Angie, sissy is going to have something a little better than a popsicle. Would you like a scrambled egg?"

"Yeth, pleath."

Mom started to get up, but I said I could get it, because Angie's big sithy was going to make her a very special scrambled egg. I got out the bacon, and cooked it until it fell apart, and then I put the pieces in Angie's and my scrambled eggs. When they were cooked, I set Angie's plate in the freezer for a couple of minutes so it could cool. I waited until she had her plate, so we could eat together. I guess I felt guilty having everybody watch her, because she was my sister, and mom, Bobbie and Cindy didn't have to. I placed Angie's plate in front of her, and we both ate our scrambled eggs with bacon pieces.

After we were done, I washed our dishes, and then took Angie upstairs to get her cleaned up and changed. When we went back downstairs, I placed her in her play area, and told her I had to talk to mom. She smiled that mischievious imp smile, and I went in the kitchen.

"Mom, I have been thinking about things."

"Like what, dear?"

"Well, when I was upstairs taking my bath, I was thinking about that if I do go and see mother, and she doesn't see me for the girl that I am, both physically and mentally, then maybe it isn't worth seeing her any more, because she just will not admit that she did something wrong. But I do need to see her though."

"Well, I think that shows a very mature attitude.

"Do you think she will ever see what she did wrong?"

"It is possible, but your mother needs help, and she can't get that kind of help where she is. I think Mr. Marks could file a petition on her behalf, and see if he can't get her in the hospital. Maybe then, she can get the pyschiatric help she really needs. But I will talk to Mr. Marks, and see what he says. Don't get your hopes up, dear. She may never be able to see the forest for the trees. In other words, she may never be able to admit to herself she did anything wrong."

"Well if that does happen, then it wouldn't be good to see her again. But what if Mr. Marks asks the court to send her to the hospital and the judge says no? Then what?"

"You're still thinking about her, aren't you? Well, all I can say is that at least your heart is in the right place, and I hope that in time your mother can see why she was punished and what she did wrong."

"Mom, thank you for taking care of Angie for me," I said with a sheepish smile.

"Oh, no darling. It is my pleasure. She is such a cutie. Takes after her big sithy you know." We both giggled. We heard Angie in the other room giggle too. Mom and I looked at each other, and went to see what she was giggling about.

She was sitting in her play area, looking towards the kitchen. "Hey sweetie, need a change?"

"No. Sithy pway with me?"

"Alright munchkin, sithy will play with you. What are you playing?"

She held up one of her dolls, and handed it to me. "You be the mommy, sithy." We had fun all afternoon, and I could see that she was getting tired. I took her upstairs, cleaned her and changed her, and told her to lay down for a nice nap. I sang to her a little bit, and she was fast asleep.

I went back downstairs and helped mom with the dinner. Roast beef tonight, with peas, baked potato, and mom's cherry cheese cake for dessert. While mom was preparing the roast, I rinsed off the potatoes, and got out the peas. Thank you Clarence Birdseye for the frozen veggies. I set the peas on the side, because they didn't take long to warm up. I set the table and we when everything was done, we sat down. Daddy said grace and we passed the food around so everybody got a serving.

We talked while we ate. Mom asked daddy if it would be wise for me to see my mother one more time to see if she would admit that she had done us wrong.

"I think maybe it is too soon. Punkin, I don't want to see you hurt any more than you have been. Nobody should go through what you have been through, much less a child. Anyway, Mr. Marks said that we have a hearing on the adoption petition in three weeks. So when we go to court, I don't want you upset by what your mother said. If everything goes well, we can talk about seeing her during the summer. Do you think you can wait that long?"

"Yes, daddy."

He smiled as he said, "good girl", and we all cleared the dishes away. We girls did the domestic thing, while daddy went out to his little workshop. Oh! I didn't tell you about that. Daddy loves playing Santa Claus for the children that have no parents and are in temporary foster care. So he makes toy trucks, dolls, wagons, and even fixes old bicycle frames, and paints them like they are new. He gives these toys out at Christmas time, and he has even made Bobbie, Cindy, and I nice things too. He made me a nice book case that I can put my books in and my notebooks. He made padded hangers for Bobbie so she could hang her beautiful party dresses up. He even made Cindy's bed frame.

Daddy was good with his hands when he worked with wood, and he did this all in his spare hours when he wasn't working. After we were finished in the kitchen, I told everybody I wanted to go for a walk. Mom yelled for daddy to hear over his saw, and he just waved his hand without looking at us.

We went to the park, because it was a nice day, and it was sunny. It was still freezing, but we had fun. We all made snowballs and had a snowball fight. Then we built a snowman by the playground that was empty until spring. We were singing Christmas carols, and just skipping along, holding each other's hands. People were looking at us and smiling. One couple even joined us for a few minutes. After agreeing that we were cold, and needed a cup of hot chocolate, we headed home, still singing.

As we got in the house, and hung our coats up, we all went in the kitchen and I got out the milk and heated it up. I put the cocoa on the table, and we waited the few minutes for the milk to heat up. Hot chocolate tastes a lot better when it is made with milk. Water just seems to give it a flat taste.

I sat there with both of my hands around my cup, trying to stop shivering. I saw everybody else doing the same. Daddy came in and asked how our walk was, and we told him. There was just enough milk left in the kettle for one more cup, and daddy made that for himself. I will say this for him, he doesn't wait for anyone to wait on him if he can do it himself.

"So, the next time you ladies go for a walk, I would like to come with you. It sounds like you had a lot of fun."

"We did, dear," mom said with those eyes that said something else. "Anyway, how is your toy project coming along?"

"Just great. I'm making a sort of radio flyer wagon for Jimmy Barnes. You know the one with the high sides, and metal posts?"

"Yes, dear."

"Anyway, that is what he said he wanted Santa to bring him, so Santa is not going to disappoint him. What would you girls like for Christmas?"

"Oh gee, daddy, I haven't given it much thought lately," I said in mock sarcasm. "Let me think now. What would be the perfect present for the girl that has almost everything?"

"Almost everything?" Mother asked, looking at me with concern.

"Yes mom," I said, with a sad look. "Almost everything."

"Alright girls, I think we should clean up our cups, and wipe the table off." Nice timing mom.

After we cleaned up the kitchen, we decided to see what was on television. Usually on Saturday nights they had good movies. Mom looked through the telelvision guide from the paper, and found that the Wizard of Oz was on. Jack Haley was funny as the tin man, and Bert Lahr was hilarious as the cowardly lion, while Ray Bolger was outrageously funny as the scarecrow. I loved Judy Garland when she sang Over The Rainbow, and I was on the edge of the couch when they went through the haunted forest. I booed Margaret Hamilton as Mrs. Gulch/Wicked With of the West. Frank Morgan was cool as the phony fortune teller/Wizard of Oz. But it was such a good movie though and this was the second time I had seen it.

After the movie was over, we all gave hugs and said our goodnights. I went upstairs and got out my cream pajamas and a fresh pair of panties. Since I had taken a bath late in the day, I really didn't need one now, so I just took a quick shower, got dressed and in bed.

So the next morning being Sunday we had church and I wanted something that screamed girl. I got out my lavender sheath dress and matching jacket, lavender lingerie, my tan nylons, and my lavender pumps with the three inch heels. I went to take a dusty rose bubble bath. After making sure I was clean, I rinsed and dried off, and went to get dressed. I was only allowed a little face powder, mascara, and light lipstick. I put my hair in a high pony tail, and clipped it with a lavender butterfly clip.

As I sat down with my my jelly toast, milk and juice, I noticed I was the only one in the kitchen. Okay, so where is everybody? I went upstairs and looked in the bedrooms. They were all still sleeping. I went back to the kitchen, and after putting an apron over my dress, I started to make breakfast. I cooked the bacon first, then the eggs, and put in the bread to toast. As I was just getting the last of the bacon finished, mom came in very sleepy eyed.

"Good morning, mom," I said with a smile and a hug.

"Good morning, Sue. Breakfast smells good."

"Sit down, mom, and I will get you your coffee."

"Okay, dear. I don't mean to open old wounds Sue, but if your mother could see you now. How she ever thought you were a boy, is way beyond me. I mean, you take care of Angie when you are home, you make the breakfast when you are the first one down, you care about your birth mother still after all that she did to you, and you care about others too before yourself. I know when you get older you will be a good wife and a good mother, because you care." She smiled, and took a sip of her coffee.

I dished up hers and my breakfasts, and we sat and talked. I reminded her that we have church this morning, and she said we were going to go to the afternoon services instead.

"Your father has had a rough night, dear, and I am letting him sleep in. Besides, it is nice to just sit here and talk between the two of us. I do that with Bobbie too."

"Did I hear my name mentioned?"

"Hey, sis. Want some breakfast?"

"Yes, but you sit and talk to mom, I can get it." I smiled, and mom and I just looked at each other.

"Mom was saying daddy had a bad night last night."

"Oh I know. I don't know how many trips he made to the bathroom, but I heard him every time he was in there.

"So what do we need to do today?" I asked, not really expecting an answer.

"I don't know. Maybe hang out and watch the guys? I don't know."

"Nice one sis. Cindy, what do you think?"

"I don't know either, really. It's just one of those lazy days for me. I think I used all my energy in school."

"I know what you mean. We could go and hang out at the White Castle for a bit." I said this with a bit of enthusiasm, hoping Bobbie and Cindy would agree.

"That sounds cool, I mean, we always have fun there."

"Cindy?"

"I suppose. It's probably the only excitement we'll get today."

"When we get back from church this afternoon, we'll go for a float or something."

"Sounds like a plan, sis."

We decided that since daddy wasn't wasn't feeling well, that we wouldn't bother him with things about me seeing mother, or us wanting to go to White Castle. Well, but anyway, we always have fun there.

The last time we went to White Castle was when we shared a chocolate ice cream float. We even had Marie give us three glasses so we could divide it. Marie was nice, and she was studying to be a nurse, and worked at White Castle to get spending money. She said her dad said he would pay for her tuition and books, but she had to provide her own spending money. She lived at home, and it was a good thing that the university she was going to was right in town.

Everybody liked Marie, but her boss, Irene, OH MY GOSH, she was a real pain. She would always yell at us for hanging around too long, so we made sure we had money to buy something, even if it was a soda.

Irene was a fiery redhead, with a temper to match. During the week she would act like a teacher and tell us that there would be no more orders taken, because we had to be back in class. I swear she would have made a good principal. So, we didn't argue with her or we would spoil it for everybody. We just took her tirades in stride, and laughed about it after we left the restaurant.

So that was the plan for today, because Irene didn't work the weekends, and Marie would be by herself. We washed the breakfast dishes, and made sure the kitchen was clean. That was when daddy decided to come down for his breakfast.

"How are you feeling, daddy?" Bobbie and I asked together.

"Terrible. I don't know if I should chance eating or not."

"Daddy, mom always said to get better you have to feed a cold and starve a fever. So what do you want that will help?"

"You know Sue, you are always so bright and cheery, it is hard to be sick in this house. Would you make me a couple of scrambled eggs, and a maybe two strips of bacon. I'm not saying I'm going to keep it down, but hopefully I will."

"Sure daddy. It will be just a few minutes."

I made daddy's breakfast, and set in front of him. He just looked at it, like it was the enemy or something, and he took very small bites, and not one right after the other, either. He just took his time. When he was finished eating, he said he would clean up the dishes he used, and I took his plate, glass, and silverware, and washed them.

"Daddy, you go and rest. I think we can skip church today, and have a prayer meeting after dinner. What do you say?"

"Did I ever tell you what a wonderful wife you will make?"

"Oh gee, daddy, I don't think so," I giggled, "but thank you."

"You're welcome punkin. Princess what are you girls up to today?"

Bobbie just looked at him, and she giggled and blushed. Then she told him the plans we had made for today, and he said that was great. Mom all this time, was just sitting there watching him.

"Dear, I think that Sue is right, we can have a prayer meeting tonight after dinner. You need to get more rest."

"When does a man have a say in his own house?"

We all looked at each other, then at daddy and said; "NEVER!" He looked sheepish, then decided we were right. He said he was going to rest on the couch, so mom went to their room, and got him a pillow and a blanket. If he is sick sick, then he needs to stay warm.

Bobbie, Cindy, and I, decided to get our coats and go out. I asked mom if I could have a few dollars so that I could get a burger and a soda at the White Castle. I said that we were going to go window shopping first, and then hang out with our friends at the White Castle. She gave us each five dollars which was enough for a burger, soda and fries, and maybe a little change left over.

We all gave mom a hug and Cindy said thank you for the money. I said we would be back before dinner. We left and headed to the Boston Store at Southgate Shopping Center. I liked the clothes at Boston Store because even though they were kind of expensive. But they had all kinds of different dress ensembles, skirt suits, pant suits, every day dresses, skirts, pants and slacks, and various different styles of summer shorts when they were in season.

As we got to Southgate which was walking distance from the house, we met David there. He was with his mother who was shopping for a new dress. We told him what we were planning, and he asked his mother for five dollars, so he could go with us. She gave him the money, and after telling him to be safe, we went and looked around a little, before heading to Woolworth's to see what they had there. There was a small shoe store in the center too, and we looked at several pairs of shoes, and tried on dozens, I think. We had spent all morning at Southgate, so we decided we needed lunch. We headed to the White Castle.

Marie saw us first, and asked what we wanted. We all ordered just the burger meal which was a quarter pound burger, generous helping of french fries, and a large soda of your choice, and they only sold Coke products here. We sat in the back booth and talked. There was hardly anyone here, but it was early yet.

"So, I asked mom and daddy about going to see mother, and daddy said to wait til this summer after school lets out. They both said it was way too early to try it again."

"I agree with them, Sue," Bobbie said taking a sip of her Coke. "But I can't help but have this feeling that she will never change. She wants everybody to feel sorry for her, and they might have sided with her, if the evidence was the other way around. But Cindy's dad has proven you're naturally female, and your mother refuses to admit that. So yes, sis, I agree that it is too soon to see her."

"I do too, sis, for what it's worth. You know, when you do see her, you should be prepared to tell her exactly what is what. Like you did that first day you stood up to her. She needs a rude awakening, and you are the only one who can give her that because she stills thinks of you as a boy. That can be to our advantage though. Daddy can make a good argument to the court that she belongs in the hospital and not a prison. Daddy said he is going to bring that up on an amicus curiae brief. That is latin for friend of the court. So we will see exactly what happens. If the court says she can go to the hospital, then she just might get the help she needs so she can live like a regular person again. But we will see. Right now it is up to the state supreme court."

"Well anyway," David said sounding exasperated, "let's talk about something happy. All this legal talk is making me hungry and I don't have any more money except for another Coke."

"Yeah, me too," Cindy, Bobbie, and I said together.

Part II - Happy tidings all around.

Three weeks can go by quickly, if you're not paying attention. It was time for us to go to court for the adoption hearing. Mr. Marks said it is not improper for a criminal court judge to hear such a petition if it involves someone who is a defendant, witness, or victim of an action that was or is pending before that judge. Judge Reynolds is a children's court judge who also hears criminal cases that children commit, and she was hearing the petition.

Mom woke me up and told me it was time for me to get my bath, because we had to be to court by nine o'clock. I got up, stepped in to my slippers, threw my robe on and grabbed my bath caddy. I put in some rose fragrance bubble bath foam, and rose scented bath beads. I brushed my teeth, and then the tub was full. I sat in the water just soaking. When the water started cooling, I washed all over, and rinsed off with the shower head, because bubble bath suds are stubborn. After making sure the tub was rinsed and wiped out, I padded off to my bedroom in my robe and slippers.

I looked in my closet, and chose my light rose dress. I also took out my rose panty and bra set, that also had a full slip on the hanger with the set. I got out a pair of regular stay up tan colored nylons, and my rose colored pumps with the ankle strap. After getting my lingerie on, I put on a little foundation and then the face powder. No eye makeup today except maybe mascara. This was an adoption petition, so I wanted to look my sweet, demure self. After getting dressed completely, I looked in the mirror. The slight makeup with my choice of dress, was perfect. I looked slightly younger.

I went downstairs to get my breakfast, and daddy just had to be his sweet little old self by whistling when I came in the kitchen.

"Punkin, did I ever tell you how pretty you are?"

"Uhm, yes daddy you have, and thank you," I said blushing.

"Dear, leave the child alone, or she will be be blushing all the way to the courthouse." Mom was joking of course, but if all went well, I would be Susan Marie Granger and Angela would have the Granger last name too. This is suppose to be a happy day for me, and it is. Really. It is.

I'm just sorry that my mother couldn't see past her greed, whatever that may be. We still hadn't heard from the state supreme court on mother's appeal, so we weren't sure what was going to happen. But for today I was going to concentrate on having Bobbie for a legal sister, and mom and dad for legal parents. I have said this constantly that this is a real family. We do things together. We laugh, play, work, talk, interact with each other, and none of us feels it is an inconvenience either.

We rinsed our breakfast dishes, and headed out to the car. Today daddy had to be there too, because he was also a party to the adoption. When we got to the courthouse, we were able to park within a block, in one of the parking lots. I didn't think thirty five cents an hour was too expensive. When we got to the courtroom, I was surprised to see Kathy there. I thought she worked downtown. Kathy came over to us and told us what she was going to do.

"This is Mr. Marks peitition, so he will go first. The judge will ask me if I object and I will say no. Then the judge will order that your last name be Granger and that Mr. and Mrs. Granger will be forever after your parents. Now, your birth mother still has not shown any remorse over her actions, and we are still waiting to hear the appeal results. You know, Susan, as a prosecutor, it is my job to object to any sentence being reduced, or even changed from a criminal sentence to a civil commitment. But this is one case that I am in favor of it being changed to a civil commitment. I talked with the district attorney and told him what my thoughts were and what those thoughts were based on.

"He agreed that we should try to get your mother to the state hospital. So, that is what I am doing. I also have filed a separate amicus curiae brief with the court, telling them what I originally intended on doing at your birth mother's sentencing. Susan, for what it's worth, I'm on your side, and I want to see her go to a hospital too. The district attorney feels this would serve justice in this particular case. So, are you ready to be adopted?"

"Yes, Kathy, and thank you for everything."

"No Susan, thank you, because you have taught me what it is like to be human. I prosecute so many that should be buried under the prison, I forgot what it was like to have a conscience. That is, until I met you. So thank you, young lady, from the bottom of my heart, and never lose that sense of innocence. Are we ready to go in, the deputy is waving to me that it is time."

We all went in the courtroom. Now I am not sure how many of you are familiar with a children's court courtroom, but it is like a medium sized living room, and there are chairs to sit in instead of pews. The hearings in these courtrooms are informal, mostly, but the witnesses are still sworn under oath. We went in, and this time mom, daddy, and Bobbie sat next to me. Cindy was there too as a character witness. A lady wearing a prison matron's uniform brought mother in, and sat her near the door, still handucffed.

The judge came in, looked around the courtroom, and sat in her chair above everyone else. "Good morning everybody. Hi Susan, it is nice to see you again, especially under these ciscumstances. How are things going at the Grangers?"

"They're going great, ma'am. Bobbie, Cindy, and I have been doing a lot of things, and I am having a great time."

"Susan, there are some questions I have to ask you, that you might think are not important, or may be embarrassing, but they are necessary, and I want you to answer them. Is that alright, Susan?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good. Okay then, this is a petition by Mr. Marks, an attorney licensed to practice law in this state. He has file the petition on behalf of a minor by the name of Susan Marie Kelly, and is asking this court to judicially terminate the rights of your birth mother, because she refuses to do so. The petition further states that the birth mother's parental rights should be terminated for the following reasons. That the birth mother for almost thirteen years raised her oldest child as a male, knowing that said child was in fact a natural female. That the birth mother of said child, one Margaret Kelly, did with malice and forethought ignore the delivering doctor's order to have the child brought in for further tests. That the mother absconded with the said minor child, one Susan Marie Kelly, to the state of Wisconsin.

"Now these charges are very serious when it comes to asking the court to judicially terminate the rights of the birth parent. Mrs. Kelly, do you wish to voluntarily give up your rights as a parent over your children, Susan Marie Kelly, twelve years old, and Angela Kelly, two years old?"

"No. They are my children, and I will not terminate my rights. I know the real truth here, apparently nobody else does."

"What is the real truth, Mrs. Kelly?"

"That my oldest child is a male, and has been since birth, these doctors and lawyers are lying when they say that Ronnie is a genetic girl. That is just absurd."

"Is that all you have to say Mrs. Kelly? You do know that this court is obligated to do what is in the best interest of the child or children concerned, do you not?"

"Yes, and I know the court will do the right thing."

"Mrs. Kelly, I remember this case from a while back. I even looked through that case, because it is the same litigants here as then, so that is why I was given this petition to hear. Are you going to sit there, Mrs. Kelly, and tell me that after all of the evidence that has been presented, even by the doctor who deilvered your first born, that your first born is a male?"

"Yes, your honor, I am."

"Very well, Mrs. Kelly, you leave me with no choice in this matter. The petition asking that the parental rights of one Margaret Kelly be terminated over her first born, Susan Marie Kelly, and her yougest child, Angela Kelly, is hereby granted. Mrs. Margaret Kelly, you no longer have any say over the children you bore into this world. Maybe someday you will actually see why I made this decision.

"And now, the other part of the petition asks that Mr. and Mrs. Granger adopt the said minors, Susan Marie Kelly and Angela Kelly. Mr. Granger, is it your testimony sir, that you will treat the said minor children with respect, and not treat in any manner contrary to law?"

"Yes it is, your honor. Your honor, Susan Marie Kelly has been a part of our family ever since she met our Daughter Roberta Granger in kindergarten, and they have been best friends ever since. We love Angela and Susan as if they were our own children. So I can promise this court that they will be well looked after."

"Thank you Mr. Granger. Mrs. Granger will you treat the minor children, Susan Marie Kelly, and Angela Kelly with respect and the way you yourself would want to be treated?"

"Yes, your honor, I will love them as my own children, and I will teach them the things they need to know as the grow into their adulthood."

"Thank you, Mrs. Granger. It is the order of this court, that from this forth, the said minor children shall now and forever be known as Susan Marie Granger," I let out a shrill yessssss, and the judge smiled. "It is further ordered that the two year old minor child, Angela Kelly will be now and forever known as Angela Granger. Mr. and Mrs. Granger, please sign the documents in front of the clerk." They signed the documents, and the judge continued. "Mrs. Kelly, you have lost two of the dearest children I have had the fortunate experience of meeting. Maybe someday you will understand what really happened, and what you actually did that was wrong. Susan, good luck with your new family, and I know Mrs. Granger. She has fostered many children that have passed through this court, and none of them has had anything bad to say about Mrs. Granger. I'm sure I don't have totell you that, but I wanted to. This court is in recess."

"You little slut, you actually got away with it this time, but I will get you for this, don't think I won't."

"Matron, remove the prisoner, and Mrs. Kelly, you are lucky these proceedings were over, or I would have give you an added year for contempt of court to be served consecutively." With that the judge went in to her chambers, and we left to go home. I was now officially a Granger, and Bobbie was legally my sister. YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Mom and daddy just looked at me, and then started laughing. Alright, so I was happy, wouldn't you be too? We left the children's court center and went to Kentucky Fried Chicken. (Author's Note: Kentucky Fried Chicken in the 1960's was a regular restaurant with a drive through, and it was not considered fast food then either.) We went in and sat in a booth, and daddy placed our orders. We ate and talked excitedly about what happened in court. Mother still thought of me as a boy, and that was not good for her, but maybe, just maybe it would give the supreme court a reason to change her sentence to a civil commitment. But I wasn't going to think about that right now, though. Right now, I was thinking about the family that I have been a part of since I can remember, and now I and Angie have their last name. Everything was great.

Author's Note: There will be one more chapter on the state supreme court's decision on Susan's birth mother's appeal.

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What Mother Didn't Know - Chapter 23

More like What Mother Refused To Know in this case. Susan has grown up quickly, yet is stil the innocent young girl. What happes later for her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I just hope the civil

I just hope the civil commitment doesn't allow Susan and Angie birth mother the opportunity to escape. Hoepfully she will be placed into a secure facility ward at the State Mental Hospital. I know from experience how many times we had to respond to escapes from our State's Mental Hospital and actually had several escapees track down the people they wanted to get back at and kill them. No-one in the Granger family needs this to happen to them. Jan

Since this is placed in the 1960s

$5.00 would be a LOT more than the kids needed for a burger, fries, and soda.

White castle did not offer a quarter pounder. White Castle sliders have always been 1/18 of a pound, and in the mid 1960s, still sold for $0.10

Hamburgers were about $.25

Cokes/Pepsis, etc. generally sold for around $.25, .35, & .45 plus or minus a few cents at the time for 9, 12, & 16 ounces.

Fries were about $.40 to .55, so a full size hamburger, medium Coke and fries should have been under or around $1.00.

Of course it takes several sliders to equal a 'full sized' hamburger, so make it $1.00-$1.10 or so.

So the kids should have had almost $4.00 change, since sales taxes were a lot lower, too.

I worked selling burgers from 1963-64 while still a civilian.
I went to both White Castle and Krystal's a number of times in 1965.
It was one of the meals I could afford off base on the $25 every two weeks I got after taxes as a US Navy Airman Apprentice (E-2).

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Hi Holly,

White Tower in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was the same as White Castle because they were owned by the same company. The leasee in Milwaukee just had a different name for it, and yes dear, White Tower did sell ¼ pound hamburgers, and yes, $5 was more than enough for a burger, fries and a coke, but they also saw a show too. So just so you know, that most of what I write is about the upper midwest, not the east coast. White Castle in Chicago had the prices you mentioned, but not in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. John In Wauwatosa can verify that the White Tower restaurants charged as much as they could for what they had. Wauwatosa is a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Also...oh never mind....it doesn't pay anyway. Thank you for reading and commenting.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Holly, Dear…

…could you please explain to this poor, higgerant Brit what a white slider is—other than some sort of luge, skeleton bob, sledge or toboggan?

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I think they called them sliders ...

because they were small, bite sized burgers that could slide down your throat.

Possibly implies they were a bit greasy -- Um, yummy grease!. White Castle still has a following and with A&W is one of the very oldest fast food chains.

Not real familiar with White Tower/White Castle though one was near the Auditorium /Arena area but got torn down I think when the Bradley Center was built in the very early 1980s.

We were more fans of Kopp's -- Appleton and Locust in Milwaukee -- and Trudy's -- National Ave and Beecher -- in West Allis. The West Allis place had car hops I think on rollerskates and window trays for your car. Oh and lots of yellow -- to attract less moths in summer -- florecent tubes and neon. Great fries, huge burgers, I'd share part of a parents or have some fried breaded shrimps instead -- hey I was a little kid -- and very thick malts, Plus Hire's Rootbeer. We'd often stop there on the way back from visting my dad's parent's farm in Tichigan or after taking out our 13 and one half foot 35 horse Evenrude powered aluminum speed boat for a ride on some river or chain of lakes.

The prices sound about right for a kid who's earliest semi clear memories go back to 1960 or 61. Even in the late 1960s McDonald's -- several Milwaukee area ones were among the first franchises -- advertized you could get a cheeseburger, small fries and a Coke and get change back on a dollar.

Sweet story. So sad about mom. Will we ever know? Is it mental illness or greed for some legacy she can only get for a son? Or what? Will her sweet child ever know?

So the lawyer is hoping for Mendota not Taycheda? -- The State Mental Hospital for the Crimimally Insane vs the State Women's Prison, at least back then --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Sliders Means Something Else Too

jengrl's picture

Most of the White Castle fanatics I know all seem to agree that Sliders refer to the Gastro-intestinal problems that come with eating them. (In other words they go in and something else slides out LOL!) If you get my drift LOL!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Re: Since this was placed in the 1960s

I was going to comment that five dollars seemed to be way too much for a full sized burger, fries and a drink in that time period.

One dollar would be about right for 1960. Even if they had gone to McD's, a cheeseburger there was only $.19, they could have had two plus fries and drink for under a dollar. Add to that that a movie in a theatre back then cost less than a dollar, so they would still have about three dollars out of the five each that Anna gave them. They could have spent that on other things depending on their interests.

It doesn't get much clearer than this: http://www.eclectecon.net/2015/03/mcdonalds-menus-the-1960-v...

Heck, I wasn't even born until 1966, but checking prices that would have been in effect at that time was not difficult at all.