I Woke, Part 2

Printer-friendly version
I Woke
Part 2
By Dorothy Colleen

 

I slept. While I slept I dreamed. I saw images, snapshots. An accident. Being taken to the hospital, feeling my spirit leave my body. Going into the next room where more doctors and nurses were working.

A young girl on the table. I see her step out of her body. The Light above us both. She goes upward, I linger. I look down at her form, she looks so young, so wounded. I bend down and kiss her forehead. They apply a shock to her chest. . . ..

I wake up shouting. A woman’s voice beside me tries to comfort me. I feel her hand on my shoulder, and say, “Mom?” “Yes dear, I am here” she says. I look at her. I don’t recognize her at all. I flinch, pull back from her hand, and even before I can stop the words I say “No! Who are you?” Oh God, the look of pain on her face. I say “I’m sss . . . sorry.” I feel like crying again. What’s wrong with me?

The doctor comes in. The woman says “She didn’t recognize me, doctor. What’s going on?” “Try not to worry, Mrs. Allen. She has been through a great deal in the last 24 hours. Now, let me check her out, okay?” He says. The woman stands up, gives my shoulder a little squeeze. “Okay, “ she says. She looks at me “We will get through this sweetie. Try and remember we love you.” She leaves.

The doctor puts a light in my eyes, checks out my head. “Well, physically, you seem like you are recovering. Now, for the memory. What do you remember” I think for a minute. Can I tell him I was a man an hour ago? No. I say, “I was . . . Hurt?” I shake my head. “I am sorry, I just don’t remember.”

“Okay.” He says. “Don’t let it worry you right now, focus on trying to get better. I will have them do a scan of your brain, just in case, but I suspect it’s a psychological response to trauma, not a physical one.”

“That lady. . .” I start. “She says she’s my mom?” “Yes” he replies. “Can she sit with me? I really don’t want to be alone.” “The doctor steps out of the room. Moments later the woman comes in. “You are okay with me sitting with you,?” She asks. “Please. I am sorry I don’t remember you, but I am very scared and don’t want to be alone. Tell me about me. Tell me about my life. Please” I plead.

She sits down, and takes my hand. “Okay, sweetheart.” So she talks. I am a senior in high school, she says. Honour’s student. Love drama, dance, art, poetry, and music. I ask, “Did I have a boyfriend?” She looks sad. “yes, but . . . We will talk about that later, okay?”

I have a feeling I know the answer. “He hurt me, didn’t he. That’s why I am here.” “Its okay hun,” she says, “Its all over. Nobody’s going to hurt you again, I promise.” I suddenly feel tired again. I yawn. I say “I am going to sleep again, stay with me, please?” “Of course my dear. I am not going anywhere.” I manage a smile, but I am worried. What happened? What about my old life, my family? Am I stuck in this girl’s body? What will happen next?

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting TG concept; will

Interesting TG concept; will be looking for another chapter to see how this all works. Jan

It's too short

This, and the first chapter, are too short to be able to tell yet whether I like it or not, sorry. I suppose I will\just have to wait and see.

Briar

Briar

It's a Great Concept!

And, a nice twist on the TG Theme. It will be interesting to see how "she" reacts as her condition improves. The "Back Story" of her accident would lend a good touch to the story.
Thanks so much for writing!

Hugs,
Diane

I'm interested to see

Andrea Lena's picture

...where this goes as well, both backwards and forwards. Thank you!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Dio benedica la mia bella amici

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Hmmmmmmm..........

Been there...done that...know the feeling...and it really sucks!!! You've done a really fine interpretation of an all-to-common theme. Brava!

Mea the Magnificent

Waking up...

I really enjoyed this short little teaser of, hopefully, more to come. That fact that it has the reeking stench of reality is a plus. I suppose it takes one to know one?

May Your Words Flow Like A River To The Sea...

Kelly