Hidden Gifts - 15

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education: Hidden Gifts
©
By: Annette MacGregor

An authorized story, based on the characters and environment of A New Style of Education by Karen Page.


Part 15 — Thursday, July 15, 2004 (Evening)

Upon returning to our rooms, well, Renee's anyway, she turned, and gave me a hug. "Thank you, Dan."

"For what? I was the one being foolish, I guess."

"For helping me get through."

"But, I..." I wasn't sure what. She'd already told me she wasn't upset or angry with me. What could she have needed me there for? "What did I help you get through? I thought you were helping me."

"Meeting Dan." She sighed. "I'd been afraid I would have to see him, ever since I had to stop taking the classes. He's asked for meetings before, but I've put him off."

"Would you like me to come with you tomorrow?"

"You would?"

"Of course, I mean, we're friends aren't we? If I can help, I'd be glad to be there. When is it?"

She pulled out her PDA, "It's half an hour after lunch. Um, he scheduled almost two hours. Right up to rehearsal."

I pulled mine out, to make sure I was clear. "Hmmm, I was clear there earlier, now I've got a meeting with a Mr. Grant and a Mr. Overfield. I wonder what that's about?" Continuing aloud, but more to myself, "I wonder if I can get more info, on my PC than the PDA's showing?" Putting action to words, I went through the door into my room and logged into the desktop. "It's here too. Something about orientation for my specialty. Well, Dan did say... Let's see how serious they are." I pulled up the appointment, and, "Okay, there IS a decline option here that didn't show up on the PDA Screen." I clicked Decline and a window popped up for me to add a note. "Hmmm, there's a way to cc. I'd best CC Dan on this."

 
Dear Sirs,

I am unable to make the orientation session you scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. An issue has come up with my study partner that I need to help her resolve. This conflicts with the scheduled time.

If there's some work I can do to prepare, I'd be glad to, prior to our rescheduled meeting. I've copied Dr. Mathews on this, as he's aware of the situation.

Respectfully,

 

"I wonder how I'm supposed to sign this thing." I just put in Dan Humphrey and hit Send.

"There, that's gone." At which point, I realized Renee had followed me in. "I'll be there for you."

"Are you sure? I don't want to get you into trouble."

"If helping your friends gets you in trouble here, all the staff have been spinning a line since the day we got here. That means all that talk about student's needs coming first was just BS." I wondered a bit at what I'd just said. It's kinda strong, but I honestly think it has to be true. Realizing I'd stopped talking as I thought about this, I continued, "Anyway, if what Dan said earlier really is true, it'll be okay."

"But." She started, when my PDA chimed.

Looking down, I saw it was Dan, "I'd better answer this. It's Dan, and, he's probably calling to chew me out." I said, trying to make it sound like I was joking.

She nodded, as I answered the PDA.

"Hello, this is Sophia, may I help you?" I paused to listen. "Yes, she's right here." I listened some more, then turned to Renee, "He wants me to put this on speaker phone, so you can hear too."

"You can do that?"

"Apparently."

I followed Dan's directions, and suddenly we could both hear his voice, "That should have done it."

Renee giggled, and I said, "I think so. Can you hear us?"

"Yes, you don't have to hold it so close to the microphone. But, you do need to talk one at a time, and wait for me to respond. Apparently they opted for a cost saving measure here, so it's one way or the other." We could hear a little chuckle in his voice.

"Now, Sophia, why do you need to postpone the intro for your specialty training?"

"I'm going to be with Renee during her meeting with you."

"And, why do you think you should be there?"

"She asked me to."

"Renee, are you sure?"

She nodded.

"He can't see you. She's nodding, Dan." I put the PDA down, stood up, and put my arm around her. I could feel her shaking.

"Renee, really think about it. Do you want someone else there, when we talk about some of your past?"

"Yes, I wa-ant Dan - I mean Sophia, to know. I guess he - I mean she, needs to know some, so she doesn't jump to wrong conclusions again."

"Fair enough. Sophia, you did the right thing in supporting your study partner. You were also right to copy me on the message. You don't always have to, when interacting with your teachers. This time, it was the right thing to do. I'll clear it with your teachers, and arrange for them to set up another time. I don't think rescheduling Renee's session would be a good idea right now. Do either of you have any questions?"

Renee shook her head, so I responded for both of us. "We're good, Dan. See you tomorrow."

"See you then. Now relax - both of you, and Sophia, I'll send you a link you should look over before going to sleep tonight."

I was wondering what that was all about, when we heard a tone, and I figured that meant he'd hung up, so I hit the hang-up button on the PDA, turned, and gave Renee a big hug. "I'll be there for you, when you need me."

We spent a while talking about how I'd misunderstood her, and as a result, hurt her. I agreed that I would try to not make assumptions in the future. She laughed at my comment that I feared I'd not be able to promise to never assume though. I carefully avoided asking about what was in her past, maybe she'd have told me, but then maybe not. I felt like I'd bruised our relationship enough already.

Our chat seemed to have cleared the air between us, and we were able to settle down, work through our homework and prepare for our classes in the morning. As we were packing up, I recalled that I'd told Dan I'd think about who I was protecting.

Sighing, "I need to talk to Fran. Apparently, my refusal to mention I knew her background contributed to some of my issues with Becky."

"We could go over."

I glanced at the time, "If we're quick, I think it'll be okay. I don't want to break the curfew rule."

"No, we're apparently stretching things a little as it is."

We went over and knocked on Fran's door.

"Come in. Are you two talking now?"

"Now?" I played like I didn't know what she was referring to.

"What ever do you mean?" Renee continued.

"I mean, really. We always talk."

She led us into her room. "You both know what I was talking about. Before dinner and during; it was like you were two strangers."

"It was just a bit of a misunderstanding."

"Right. And, I'm the Queen of Sheba. It's obvious you're not going to tell me now; so what can I do for the two of you?"

"Seriously, it was the result of a misunderstanding, and with Dan's help, we've straightened THAT out," I responded.

"Okay, okay, I'll believe you. But, I'm sure that's not why you came over. What's up?"

I looked over at Renee, and she nodded. Taking a breath, "It's another misunderstanding that prompted me, no, us," I looked over at Renee and smiled, "to come over."

"Really?"

"Remember that extra trip I had to visit Dr. Bill, that that we talked about?"

"Yes."

"That was ‘cause two of the support people thought I wanted to actually be a girl, like you and Renee. I found out what they can and will do to help you and others like you."

"Why did they think you were transgendered?" Fran looked confused.

"I couldn't give them a good reason for why I was working so hard at this." I indicated how I was dressed.

"Oh." I could see light dawning on her face. "You were protecting your knowledge of me, weren't you?"

I nodded. "I said I'd not tell anyone."

"Oh, Sophia. I'm so sorry." She looked, I dunno, distracted isn't the right word. Then she continued, "Kate sent me a note earlier, telling me that all of the support staff were aware of my condition. I wonder if she thought you knew about me, and thought you were protecting me. That's probably it. I bet, she knew about your problem, and was telling me I should let you talk to the staff about it."

"That's up to you. I certainly don't want to talk about you behind your back."

"No, if they already know, there's no reason you can't tell them you know." She looked thoughtful. "That goes for you too, Renee. It never occurred to me that anyone might get into trouble because of my problem."

"Hey, we're your friends. And, Dan said I wasn't in trouble. So, nobody got into trouble."

"Uhuh. And, you're bringing this up, why?"

I looked at Renee, "Dan suggested that if I thought I was protecting someone, I should talk to that person, to be sure I was." I paused briefly, before continuing, "And, to learn that it's always okay to talk to the staff." Shaking my head, "I suspect, we're also supposed to trust our year mates, but he didn't come out and say that."

"Don't worry about talking about me with the staff, Sophia. Since they know, there's no reason you can't say you know. I appreciate your trying to protect me, but, I'm not ready to tell the others, yet."

"I understand, besides, what difference does it make? I mean, you're a girl. Why should they care, any more than I do?'

"Sophia, you're so nice." She was quiet a minute, "Though, that does bring up one issue I've worried about since the first mix-up day was announced. Do you think the others will guess my problem, when I pretend to be a boy on Monday?"

That wasn't a question I'd expected. "I assume you remember how."

She snorted, "Yeah, I spent a lot of time pretending. But, my worry is that I'll do too good a job, and they'll figure me out."

"Why not act like you do normally. You know, like Fran, when you're dressing like a guy." Then an issue occurred to me. "That's your hair isn't it?" At her nod, "You might go down to the stylist and see if they can suggest something that looks feminine while you pretend to be a guy." I looked over at Renee, "You could also clown it up, like Renee will try to do. Nobody would guess, no, you say ‘twig'. Nobody'd twig then, I don't think."

"I'll think about it. Thanks for the ideas."

"You co-ould take the boy lessons from Simon." Renee interjected.

"That's true," I continued, "If you did that, then by the next mix-up day, you'll have a good excuse for being good at pretending to be a boy. Even if you don't need a lot of classes."

Renee snorted, but also nodded agreement with a thoughtful look on her face.

"What's he like?"

"Personality, nothing like Kelly. He's really formal. Almost like what you see for a British ‘gentleman's gentleman' from the movies." I looked over at Renee again, and at her nod, "He also seems to really care about students. So, in that, he's like Kelly." Then, it hit me. "I know who he reminds me of. My mom had me watch some videos last year of an old BBC series about a detective ‘Lord Peter Wimsey' or something. But, he had a ‘gentleman's gentleman' named Bunter, and that's who Simon reminds me of."

"Hmmm. Maybe we can find one of those videos." Fran said. "It's something to think about. Maybe I'll talk to Kelly, to make sure she doesn't think it'll confuse me. And, to Kate."

Sitting on the settee, I felt, rather than saw Renee jump a little at the mention of Kate's name . 'What's the issue?'

I heard a chime, and looked around. Fran said, "It's my warning that it's almost curfew. You've only got a few minutes to get back across the hall."

We got up, "Thanks, Fran."

"No problem, and thanks, both of you for your suggestions. See you tomorrow."

We returned to our rooms, and got ready for bed. I took off the gaff, which was a relief, although it hadn't been THAT bad. I'd actually almost forgotten it was there, when I was busy, anyway. Getting into the nightgown was becoming commonplace, which, as I thought about it, was a little weird.

As I closed the door to my room, my PDA went off, with a note from Dan, and I remembered that he'd said he'd be sending me something to read before bed. "I'd best go see what Dan wanted me to read." What I really wanted to do was to sit down, and play. I'd not spent much time on the keyboard since I'd started this roller coaster, and it was beginning to show in how I felt.

"Mind if I look over your shoulder?"

"Nah, I'll use the PC then, as it'll be big enough for both of us to see."

His cover note said that the attached notes were things that were normally covered in a series of lessons that were given after we'd been there a month. Wondering why he was sending them now, I opened the attachment. It was titled ‘Interactions with Individuals that are not full time staff' and it discussed the issues of students in transition, and how we were supposed to sign and such. The gist being that if we had to communicate with someone we weren't sure was staff, it was best to use the mail feature's automatic signature feature which insured that they were presented with the right name.

"That's kinda strange, though, I guess it's to protect people that are transitioning."

"It's probably for people like you, too, Sophia."

The stress she put on the name reminded me of how I was dressed. "Good point. And, since Dan said it wasn't an issue this time, those two must be staff, and be aware of some of the strangeness."

"How..." she started.

"Remember, he just said this in passing there at the end?" She nodded. "Well, that tells me that my signing as Dan was a non-issue as far as they were concerned, and since I'm Sophia now, they must be aware of things." I shook my head. "I need to wind down some. Mind if I just play the piano a while?

She indicated she didn't mind, and headed for her room. I was just settling down on the bench, when she stopped and said, "Thanks for going with me tomorrow."

I was startled from my introspection, "What, Renee? Oh, of course I'll be there. Dan even agreed."

I stood up and stretched. "I guess that's it for today."

Renee agreed, and headed for her room. I decided that I really needed to unwind, and nothing was better than the piano for that. Walking over, I picked up the headphones and was about to sit down.

From her door, Renee asked, "Do you mind if I listen?"

"I guess not." I left the headphones unplugged, and settled down and started playing. At some point, she must have headed back to her bed, because, when I finally felt relaxed and stopped, she wasn't there any more.

-— Friday, July 16, 2004

Waking before the alarm, I felt more relaxed than I had in a few days. I really need to play more. Come to think of it, I should do a brief warm-up as well.

Changing quickly, I moved the chair back and started with some stretching, then worked through several exercises. I heard my alarm go off as I was finishing one series of moves. "Well, that felt good." I need to check with Shelly to see if there's a anywhere other than the gym to work out. My room's okay in a crunch, but far from ideal, especially with no mats. And, I can see how going to the gym in with bad weather might not be fun.

"Good morning; you're up early."

"Hi, Renee. It was a short night, but I slept well. I think I need to play more often."

"I hope so. Listening to you helped me relax."

"You still worried about this afternoon?"

She nodded, "But, with you there, I hope it won't be too bad."

"I'll be there! Though, I do need to clean up now."

Renee walked in wearing a robe over her nightgown. "How much of those exercises will I be learning?"

"It depends on your teacher. I think you'll start with something simple, and probably have a lot of practice at falling."

She smiled at the end. "Falling is that important?"

"You'll do a lot of it. Believe me. I remember one lesson, shortly after I got my brown belt... I was feeling pretty good about my skills. Sensei decided that I needed to learn that I wasn't done learning. I was down, almost as fast as I could get up." I shook my head ruefully. "I've not made THAT mistake again! After he finished dusting the mats with my body, we talked. Get this, he apologized to me. No, not for the match, but for inadequate training; he said it was his failure that had allowed me to be overconfident and not understand where I was in my growth."

"That's unusual."

"Not really, as I've come to understand. It seems to be something that really good teachers have in common. They feel that our failures are their fault. I saw that with my piano teacher in Naples. But, I saw it more in my Sensei's. Sensei Tanaka was the best. That's why I had to go back, and tell him I'd not be able to continue in his dojo when I accepted the appointment here."

We talked a few minutes about Judo. After a little while, I realized I'd not showered yet. "Oops. I still need to get my shower before dressing. We'd best get a move on.

We both went to our separate rooms, and got ready. She was ready before I was. I put it down to more practice. Yeah, like, she's had a lot more time at this girl stuff. I hope she's okay on Monday.

The morning was uneventful, and classes went smoothly as well. Renee seemed okay, I mean she didn't seem jumpier than normal or anything. I found myself wondering, several times, what Renee's issue was, or even if there were several. When we were alone, or maybe with one or two others, she seemed to open up. But, when we were in a crowd, she was always quiet.

After lunch, we headed off to Dan's office. His door was open when we arrived. I knocked anyway.

"Go on in," we heard from down the hall.

Looking in that direction, we could see Dan coming out of another room. Probably another shrink's, ‘cause Becky's is around here too, I think. We waited for him anyway. When he arrived, he directed us to take a seat while he pulled the door shut. As we walked over to the sofa, I reminded myself that they called them settees. We sat down in about the same position we had last time, though not trying to be so far apart. I made sure I could reach her, if she needed me.

"Sorry I was down the hall, but I needed to check something."

We talked about the school, and how we were getting along and such. It seemed a bit strange to have a session like this. Then, it hit me; he was trying to help Renee relax before talking about anything hard. This thought was confirmed a few minutes later, when he came out and asked Renee what she thought about Kate Mayhew. Renee completely clammed up.

"Yes, that was a trick question. We know how much she resembles the senior matron at the home."

Renee was actually shaking now.

"What does that have to do with it?" I interrupted.

"Nothing, and everything, I'm afraid" he responded. "She had a bad experience. Now, let Renee answer, okay?"

I nodded, but moved closer, and put my arm around her.

Dan started talking with Renee about the matron, and how she'd treated Renee and when it started and such. Initially, Renee had trouble answering his questions, and he'd have to ask her to repeat herself. But, after a while, she seemed to be able to answer easier. I was, I dunno, amazed isn't the right word, but really impressed at how he seemed to talk so evenly and quietly about this issue she was having so much trouble with. I mean, some of the things, she described, that she'd suffered as punishment were pretty bad. Heck, I dunno if Harry Potter had it any worse with the Dursleys. Oh, she had a normal dorm room apparently, but that's about all that was different. Several times, she let out little cries, and I hugged her tighter. But, as time went on, she seemed more comfortable talking. Dan never came out and just asked what caused the matron to treat her like this, though, he did ask a lot of questions around the issue. If I were to guess, it stemmed from her return to the institution from a foster home.

Eventually, Dan was talking more about how people can resemble others physically but be very different in person. He reached behind his chair, and pulled out a folder. "I've several photos here that I'd like you to look at." He pulled out two, and put them face up in front of us. "One of these is a respected teacher, and the other is a convicted criminal. Can you tell me which is which?"

I looked at the two. On first glance, I'd have picked the guy in the suit as the teacher, but then figured it might be a trick question, so I silently picked the guy in the jeans and T-shirt. Renee pointed at the T-shirt guy as well.

"Correct, this time. But, as these two photos, show, clothes and grooming do not make the man." It was again a man in a suit, and another in Jeans. "This time, the man in the suit is a respected doctor, while the man in jeans was a drug dealer. Take a look at the four pictures now."

We did, and really, there was nothing to tell the two men in suits apart or the two men in jeans. If he'd put either pair out, I'd have been guessing at random.

He then pulled out two more pictures; the ladies shown could have been twins. "One of these ladies is a nurse; the other is an alcoholic and unemployed. No, I'll not ask you to guess which."

Finally, he pulled out two more photos. One of them looked like Kate, no, they both did - a little. I heard Renee's breath catch, and she pointed at the one that only looked a little like Kate Mayhew. "Ma-matron." Was all she said.

"Yes, you picked it out straight away. Yet, there's a resemblance between her and Kate. I do agree to that. But, now, I want to ask you if you can see any differences?"

Renee settled down a little, but I could still feel how tense she was. "Matron never smiled."

"And, Kate's certainly smiling in the photo. Anything else?"

Renee went on to point out several other differences, but I thought her noticing the smile first was probably important.

Dan talked to her some more, then he pulled me back into the conversation. I was a little confused about what, if anything, had been accomplished by the session, besides getting Renee to see differences between Kate and her old Matron and getting her to talk about all those things. I mean, they were bad, but I couldn't see how they had anything to do with her problem with guys.

"I think that's enough for today, you've got rehearsal in just under an hour."

That's all? It'd felt like we'd taken a LOT longer than that.

"Thank you for being so open about things, Renee. We'll talk some more next time."

Next time? I was right, she must have more issues than just with the matron.

Renee nodded.

"If you're not up to rehearsal, let me know, and I'll make it good with Mrs. Russell. Otherwise, have a good time."

We took the long way back to our rooms, thinking that a short walk about the building in the sun might help calm her down. But, coming down the stairs, Renee suddenly asked if I'd play something for her on the grand in the parlor. Recalling her comment, this morning, about being relaxed by the music, and really looking forward to playing on that instrument, I agreed.

Entering the room, I could see that the grand had been moved over to the side, and a few chairs set up in its usual position. Maybe they use the room for small recitals. I wonder who'll be playing. Renee took one of the seats, and I opened the piano. Sitting down, I did a few quick exercises; both to relax me and my hands as well as to make sure things were right with the piano. It was a pleasure to run my fingers over the keys of the Steinway. It was as if they were begging to be played. I did notice a slight difference in sound, and looked around. Then, I realized the acoustics in the room were such that even this movement was enough to change how the instrument sounded. "Wow, just moving it makes a difference."

"What?"

"Oh, sorry. This room; the acoustics here seem to make the sound richer than when the instrument was over there where the chairs are. That's really neat."

"Richer?"

"Ummm, it's hard to describe using other terms, but, I guess it's like the notes sound fuller, and the over and under tones fit right and don't clash. Maybe sometime when they don't have it set up for something I can show you or maybe Mrs. Russell can explain it better. But, the piano sounds better over there ."

"Wow, you can hear that little difference?"

I started to say ‘of course', but realized she'd not have asked if it wasn't a surprise. "Yeah. But, it's a mixed blessing, for sure." As I thought about some of my early experiences in school music, I literally shuddered in remembrance.

"Are you okay, Sophia?"

"Sorry, yes, I was thinking about listening to some kids playing together at school a few years ago. They ..." I started, then thought better of what I'd started to say. "Well, I'll be nice and say they were trying."

She giggled.

"But, you wanted something. Anything in particular?"

"No, just play like you did last night. We've got a good half hour before we need to get to the auditorium for rehearsal.

A while later, "Sophia, we've got to go."

"What, oh, is it time already?" It was only then that I noticed a few people had come into the parlor as well. I accepted their congratulations on my playing.

Renee and I headed off to rehearsal with the other students, while the older folks went their way. One of the older guys, Ryan, I think he said his name was, asked me if I made up any pieces or played changing arrangements of pieces. We talked a bit about music, as we walked, and made tentative arrangements to get together again. As we arrived, I saw him make for the woodwind section where Ingrid sat. I made a mental note to ask her about him, later.

"Hi, Sophia, how are you getting along with the glockenspiel?"

"Pretty good, thanks, Andy."

Andy went on to show me a few of the more subtle aspects of playing. I'd assumed you just varied how hard you hit the center of the bars, but he showed me how there were times you struck to the side or toward the end of the bars to generate different effects, as well as double striking. "Now, most of that's never used, but, it's a good idea to know when those dead sounds are called for. From what I could hear, you've been doing a pretty good job striking. If I'd not heard you on that keyboard, I'd have wondered how you could pick it up so fast. Keep it up, and we'll have you playing REAL percussion by the end of the year."

"Real?" then I laughed. "You mean drums."

"Of course; all REAL percussionists are drummers first." I could see from his smile that he was teasing. As Mrs. Russell came in, he waited with me until she indicated which piece we'd start with, and then took his position.

I concentrated on my playing, and rehearsal finished before I was really ready for it to be over.

-— Saturday, July 17, 2004

"Sophia, can we talk a bit after the meal?" Pru asked.

"Sure," I said, wondering what was up.

As we went back to our rooms following breakfast, I invited Sally and Pru into my room. "Please come into my office."

They both laughed a little nervously, and looked at Renee, who was there too.

"Is this private?"

Sally replied, "No, I guess not, since Renee has to deal with it too."

I looked at her with a questioning expression on my face. "If this is going to take a little time, why don't we sit down?"

Pru and Sally took the settee, Renee the chair and I pulled over the chair from my computer desk. "So, what's up?"

"Sophia, no, it's Dan we need to ask for some help from."

That's strange. "I'm not sure I understand."

"Do we need to pretend to be guys?" asked Pru.

"What do we wear on Monday?" Sally continued.

"Ahhh, I'd say just grab a shirt, some chinos and sneakers, no TRAINERS from the guy's side of the closet."

"Umm, wear trainers to class? I know we don't have uniforms here, but I've not seen anyone wearing them to class yet."

I thought back to my brief experience with a UK school, and realized that she was right. A far cry from the US schools that didn't have uniforms — or so Kirk and my folks had said. "Sorry, probably not a good idea, but I think I saw some loafers in my closet and they'd be casual enough." Seeing a quizzical look on their face, "I'll go get a pair and show you." Getting up, I quickly walked to my closet, and on arrival realized there weren't any there. Coming back out, "I don't get it, they're practical, can be casual or dressy, and are great for traveling — no laces to tie and untie going through security! You just slip them on. In any case, just about any of the non dressy shoes on the guy's side should do."

"Oh, flats - NO, slipons. But, only old guys, like 20 or so, wear them," Pru responded.

I sighed. "How'll I ever keep this stuff straight? It's almost as if we speak a different language." They laughed with me on that comment. "One thing just occurred to me; if you look in the bedside table, there should be a special t-shirt that makes you look more like a guy above the waist.

"Yes, we know about that, but were worried about looking foolish."

"Is that really important? Or, do you want to really get into the guy thing or just get through the day?"

They looked at each other, as if the question had never occurred to them. Sally said, "Originally, I was going to just try to just get through, but your question made me think that maybe it's really supposed to be a learning experience."

I made a subconscious little laugh. "I took it that way. And, I also figured that there are some here, as Mr. Hobson mentioned, that are transitioning. I want to show my respect for what they've gone through, by understanding as well as I can. I did some checking around, and apparently there's no requirement to go through the classes I'm taking or even to take the event seriously. Dan said that some kids ham up the whole thing."

I could see them both getting a little thoughtful. "Would you help us pick out our outfits and make sure we don't muck up our hair?"

I looked at Renee, and at her slight nod, "I think I can help some. I guess I'm a bit of an expert, at being a guy that is."

They all laughed at this, then Pru joked back. "You could have fooled me, Sophia."

"You're suggesting guys don't have curls like this?" Sally tapped her curls as she said that.

I smiled, thinking her hair looked like the Sally from the ‘Peanuts' cartoon strip. I couldn't say that though. "I've seen a few guys sporting afros, but, they don't hang quite that way." If you wanted that effect, the style shop might be able to help, if you can get an appointment. I suspect you could hide your curls, too. Maybe a ball cap? No, I've not seen anyone wearing hats indoors. You could ask, though. They might let you get away with it. Or maybe you can just brush it differently."

Pru jumped in. "I can help there, if you want."

"We'll see, I don't want to think about it right now. I'll think about it."

They got up, preparing to leave, and I remembered they needed guy names. "Oh, yeah. One more thing, you'll have to pick out a guy name. And, you should put it in the computer so others know what to call you."

"Renee, did you pick one out yet?" queried Sally.

She nodded, and I responded. "She's doing it the easy way. She'll be Rene' after the French Mathematician!"

"Oh, that's sneaky. I wish I could a similar name, like that." Sally rejoined.

We talked a bit more, and I agreed to come over tomorrow, and help them each select an outfit that a guy might pick out. I thought that was nice of them, though, they could probably pick out an outfit that worked.

After they'd left, "That was nice of you, Dan."

"It's something I can do. Though, dressed the way I am, I'm kinda surprised they didn't ask Mark and Wayne."

"It's probably ‘cause you taught Pru Judo. That, and we all know you're nice."

After an uneventful morning and lunch, Renee and I were back in the room studying when I got a message.

 
Sophia,

Do you have time to give me some suggestions for Monday?

Thanks,
Wayne

 

"Now Wayne wants help." I said, shaking my head.

"You don't have to worry about Fran or Ingrid."

Smiling, "No, I hope Wayne's expectations aren't too high. He can't expect me to teach him all I've learned in the past week, in a few minutes."

"I don't think he is. Actually, I'm a bit surprised he asked you, instead of one of us."

"Maybe it's because he knows I'm really a guy, and that makes it easier."

"Good point. Are you going to answer him?"

I laughed then, "Duh; I'd better. Let's see," I thought about what we were currently studying, "we can break in a half hour, and I can see him before dinner." She nodded, and I sent Wayne a reply saying I'd be down in about a half hour."

We finished right on time. "I'll put the stuff away if you want to go help him now."

"Thanks. I'll see you to walk to dinner." I hooked my PDA into the slot in the back of the skirt and headed down to Wayne's room.

When I arrived he let me in, and we talked. I showed him where the ‘appliances' were and how to wear them. He was a bit reluctant to try the gaff, and I didn't blame him, considering the issues I'd had. Then, he asked about clothing, and as nervous as he seemed, I helped him pick out a simple outfit with slacks. He expressed surprise, and I replied. "Hey, they didn't say anything about dresses, just girls clothing." Wayne laughed and thanked me. Renee was just coming down the hall as we left the room, so the three of us walked to dinner together. A few in the year were already there, and the others arrived shortly afterward.

Dinner was, as usual, wonderful. Tonight we had roast beef, which I've always enjoyed. I was a bit surprised by the comments by the other kids that it was a bit unusual for an evening meal. Seems most of them were used to it as a big lunch on Sundays. I guess I'm glad they didn't follow tradition this time. I wonder if we'll be having big meals then, or if they'll keep the large meals later in the day.

As I was finishing, Tracy turned to me. "You seem to be adapting well, Sophia."

"I'm trying, ma'am."

"Tracy's fine. How do you feel about Monday?"

"Monday? What's the problem?"

"I mean with the mix-up?"

"Oh. I can't see how it'll be any different from today. I mean, I'm already dressed. I'll just have to look at the stuff in the back of the closet for the second half of the day."

She shook her head. "I suspect it'll be easier than that, as you'll be able to be Dan again.

"Huh?" What's she trying to say?

She looked at me with what I'd have called a concerned expression, had it been on mom's face "Nobody told you? It's simple, you've been presenting as Sophia more than Dan since you arrived here, and Mix-up day you have to present DIFFERENT."

I can't believe this... I go to all this trouble to learn how to be a girl, and now they want me to stop for a day? I don't get it.

She must have seen something, because she continued. "The rule is based on how you are presenting at the time the announcement is made. Surely spending half a day as Dan won't be that hard for you?"

I shook my head, trying to come to terms. "No, I guess not, but, it seems so strange."

She smiled, and patted my shoulder. "You'll be okay. If you have trouble, just contact one of the staff."

"No, I'll be okay. I'm just surprised is all."

"If you're bothered, have a chat with Dan. That's why he's there you know."

I nodded. "No, really, I will be okay." I was getting better. It's just one more thing to get through. I'd have to change to androgynous after rehearsal, anyway. I felt Renee squeeze my hand where it was in my lap under that table.

Tracy turned and answered a question from Sally, and by the time she looked back, I was centered again. "Thanks for telling me. I'd have hated to show up dressed wrong on Monday."

"You're welcome, Sophia. I'm surprised nobody thought to mention it to you before."

Following dinner, Renee and I went back to our rooms to do homework, instead of stopping at the common room. We'd finished most of it, and were sitting talking, when we heard a knock at the door. Opening it, I found Fran and Ingrid.

"What's up?"

"We were wondering if you two were busy."

I looked over my shoulder at Renee, who shook her head. "No, we were just talking about the week. Is something up?" Figuring that they probably wouldn't want to talk in the hall, I invited them in.

It turned out that they were worried about me, after Tracy's comment about me being Dan on Monday, and my suddenly getting quiet. I assured them that this wasn't the case, too much. It was more that I was surprised, and worried how it might affect what I was trying to learn. I also admitted that I was a little concerned about how Renee would react. Her honest surprise at this was more of a reassurance than her immediate denial that it would make any difference. I recalled our session, and other things Dan had told me.

After clearing that up, we chatted for another half hour or so before they returned to their rooms. Renee and I said goodnight, and I thanked her for her support earlier, to which she smiled and gave me a quick hug before darting back into her room.

Sleep was slow in coming, as I kept thinking about the week's events while lying in bed. I was coming to understand the benefit of a mixed up day, having lived the part so many days. But, I'm a guy. It doesn't make sense to make me dress as a guy for the experience. After all, I've had over a dozen years of practice there. I'd think the school would encourage me to keep on as Sophia, rather than revert to my normal self. I shrugged to myself, rolled over, and was reminded again of how I was dressed. This school sure is crazy.


Author's Note: I want to thank Karen for allowing me the pleasure of continuing this story and I hope you all get as much pleasure out of reading it as I've had writing it. I also want to thank the individuals that proofed and commented on the story as it developed and moved toward what you see posted here (Karen, Penny, Gabi and Holly). Their comments and criticisms helped immeasurably! Any problems remaining are mine and not that of any of these remarkable ladies.

Comments are greatly appreciated!

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Look a likes are everywhere

Hello Annette!

Thank you for another chapter to fill in the background. I see you covered some issues about look a likes. I read somewhere, we all have a twin somewhere on this planet. Of course cousins play a big part in similarities. I have a second cousin that looks like me. However, he weighs a lot more than me now. Now we are easy to tell apart.

For me I play the guitar to wind down. The guitar is a six string classical acoustic. It helps keep the callouses on the finger tips. We look forward to the next chapter and see how the group grows up some more.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Rachel

More... More.. More!

Piper's picture

Another great chapter, with backgrounds and a bit of leading information. :)

I like the hesitance to totally embrace the "Student Welfare as top Priority" mantra. Shows a bit of realism and depth to your characters that is missed in a lot of TG stories.

-HuGgLeS-
I can't wait for number 16!

-P/KAF/PT


"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks


Hidden Gifts - 15

Thanks for another installment and more info about Renee.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hidden Gifts

Hi Annette

I've really enjoyed ANSOE: Hidden Gifts, and was delighted when you posted a further installment. Of all the different universes that people write in, ANSOE/SPA is one of my favourites.

I'm hoping that it will be a bit less than 10 months before you post the next episode. In this case, I found myself rereading the entire series to get back into the flow of things.

We haven't as yet had the results of Dan's medical examination, and it will be interesting to see what if any surprises the blood tests reveal.

Positive Support


Bike Archive

Poor Sophia

She seems to be helping everyone and has no time for herself. It will be interesting to see how Sophia and the rest of the year are on Mix-up Monday.

Hugs

Karen

Glad

I am so glad to see part 15 out. Can't wait for part 16 to come out. You are an amazing writer and I can see why you waited until you had HH04 out It made it easier to see that One of the support staff Jumping the gun there. I do hope to see 16 out earlier then 15 but understand that so much can get in the ways of things. Honestly if you need any help I am more then willing.

Yours Truly

Arina

Thank you

Just to say thank you for this chapter, and please continue writing.

Mix-up Mondays

LibraryGeek's picture

I hadn't really thought about it, but it makes sense that Mix-up days would require you to dress as the opposite gender from what you were presenting as when it was announced. That way those who were transitioning would present differently, and those not doing so would present differently. I can see how it would throw Sophia, since Dan started the process specifically to prepare better for mix-up days, finding suddenly that on the mix-up day she had to be Dan would seem... wrong. Like, all that work for nothing. Except that it isn't being for nothing, just not for the purpose originally planned.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Continuity problem

LibraryGeek's picture

OK, Sophia is doing warm ups in the morning, and Renee talks with him, followed by it being stated that Renee walks in wearing a robe over her nightgown, and then talks concerning the warm up. Now, it's possible the initial conversation was conducted with Renee in her room and Sophia in her own, but it didn't feel that way to me.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

nice update

I've missed the stories and updates for SPA universe. Thank you for continuing the stories

J Schade

Terrible experience

Jamie Lee's picture

It's terrible when a kid is treated so badly by an adult that kid actually becomes traumatized by the action.

It was clever of Dan to use pictures of people who looked similar to help Renee understand that similar faces don't mean similar attitudes or behaviors. Maybe someone needs to give that matron a taste of her own medicine.

Ingrid is the year leader but everyone except Mark, Fran, and Ingrid came to Sophia for help on mix-up Monday. Why? Is it because he's been Sophia and they believe he'd know how to help them? Or because he's more than willing to help someone in need?

They had to have heard he was with Renee during her meeting with Dan, and why. Do maybe it's a combination of everything as to why they came to him.

Others have feelings too.