A Summer of Changes - Book 3 Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Denise experiences her first week in her new job
and receives a visit from a former acquaintance.

A Summer of Changes
by Louise Anne Smithson

Book 3 Chapter 1

A new job, and an invitation to lunch

Sunday 20th June was the last day of spring. The following day would be the beginning of summer; the day on which Denise and Samantha were due to embark upon their new job.

Denise was the first to wake in the house on the Sunday morning. There were no sounds coming from the other bedroom, so she took a shower and thought about getting dressed. By now, she'd lost most of her self-consciousness and had gained in confidence, particularly when she was with Samantha, and so put on the jeans she'd worn the previous day, together with a plain pink cotton blouse. She quickly styled her hair and put on a little makeup and a pair of earrings, without giving it a great deal more thought than most other women would. There was still no sign of her flatmate at nine a.m., so she put on the coffee pot, made herself some toast and started to read one of Samantha’s fashion magazines. She planned to spend the day quietly, getting used to her new surroundings, and to her new way of life. She had stayed in the flat for a few days prior to Jane’s wedding and so knew her way around and where Samantha kept most things, but she felt that she needed some time to settle in and to get used to the idea of living as a woman full-time.

‘Good morning Denise, did you sleep alright?’ asked Samantha, when she eventually emerged from her room at about ten o’clock.

‘Yes thanks, that double bed is really comfortable, even if the colour scheme and furnishings are rather girly for my taste.’

‘I'm afraid it's your taste that's going to have to change, my dear. “Girly” is exactly what you need at present. You'll just have to forget about your unfeminine former self,' said Samantha.

‘Yes, I suppose so, I'll do my best,’ answered Denise smiling.

‘I'll be on the lookout for any lingering traces of masculinity so we can root them out,’ added her friend smiling mischievously.

‘Remember that it's only a month since I put on a dress for the first time, and already here I am reading one of your fashion magazines.’

‘Good girl,’ she answered, smiling.

Denise smiled and continued reading.

‘Have you finished sorting out your room yet?’ asked Samantha.

‘I'm almost done. There are just a few things left for me to unpack and put away, and then I'll stow my suitcases in your loft.

‘In that case, as soon as you're finished unpacking why don’t we go out for lunch together?’ she asked.

‘I was intending to take things easy today and not do very much.

‘That’s ok, I was only planning to go round the corner to Shepherd’s Bush Green; there would be no need for you to get dressed up especially.’

‘Alright then, I suppose going out for lunch should be alright.’


Over lunch they made various arrangements as to how they would live together. They drew up a rota for the cleaning duties and decided which expenses would be shared. Samantha was by nature a clean and tidy person, and so Denise expressed her determination to be a good tenant and to play her full part in the housework. As a rule, Saturday mornings would be devoted to keeping the house clean and tidy, although the arrangement could be flexible if either of them was invited out or went away for the weekend. Afterwards they went to a supermarket, and Denise offered to cook them both an evening meal.

Both girls washed their hair after dinner and helped one another to put it in rollers. They then gave one another facials and manicured their nails ready for work the following morning.

‘How are your ear piercings?’ asked Samantha.

‘The original ones are fine now, I can put in and takeout earrings without any trouble. The studs are a little sore and are still healing, so I'll only remove them if Sue asks me to.’

‘They aren't very noticeable, I shouldn’t think they'll be a problem tomorrow. Have you decided what to wear for work?’.

‘No, not yet. Sue suggested that we should wear something fairly simple to the office, and not to go too heavy on the makeup as she wants to begin with a fresh canvas,’ said Denise. ‘But I don’t want to travel in to work tomorrow morning looking like a bloke.’

‘I don’t think you need to worry about that my dear. I've never seen you dressed as a guy, but I can’t imagine that you ever made a very convincing one. Now that you have your boobs, long hair, lacquered finger nails and a girl’s voice nobody could possibly mistake you, even if you were wearing Denis’s old clothes,’ said Samantha.

‘Thanks for the re-assurance about my appearance, but what makes you think I have done anything to change my voice?’

‘Oh sorry! I've never met Denis and so I just assumed that he had a deeper voice.’

‘No, it has always been like this. Puberty never really seemed to have as profound an effect on me as other boys.’

‘Well that explains why you are now able to present as such an attractive young woman,’ said Samantha.

‘You certainly know how to boost Denise’s confidence, but I'm not so sure about Denis’s.’

‘I'm not concerned about Denis; it is Denise that is my friend.’


The first day in their new job arrived and by the end of the afternoon all concerned felt that things had gone pretty well. The two new models travelled in together on the train and then a bus, arriving in good time to get ready for the shoot. Sue supervised their makeup, but she quickly found that they understood what was required and could help one another. Helen and Sue had also done a lot of pre-planning as to what outfits and co-ordinating accessories would be photographed and in what order, so everything was waiting for them to change into. Sarah and Mary helped them to get changed and returned everything to the stores afterwards. As soon as each outfit was done, Sue would pass on the memory card from her camera to Helen, who would download the images onto a computer and, together with Jane, would choose which ones were to be used. Jane would then crop or adjust them as necessary. In the meanwhile Denise and Samantha would get changed into the next outfit and get themselves ready, whilst Sue prepared for each series of shots.

The team made so much progress that by 3.15 pm they had photographed all of the clothes scheduled for that day, and the models were able to change back into their own clothes. Samantha joined Sarah and Mary to help them to prepare for the next day, whilst Denise was asked to help Helen to upload the images to the new website.

‘These photos are very good, highlighting the clothes as opposed to the models. Sue is a talented photographer,’ commented Denise as she checked through them.

‘The models are good as well; attractive to look at without distracting from the clothes,’ said Helen, clearly very pleased with the way things had gone during the first day.

Denise smiled and they both continued with their respective jobs.


Over the next few days the office worked out a routine to enable the rapid photographing of the collections and gradually adding them to a web-based database, whilst also keeping up with the normal day to day work. Typically, it involved about four hours of intensive photographic modelling by Denise and Samantha, followed by a late lunch and then about three hours of performing other tasks in the afternoons. They soon got the hang of what sorts of clothes they needed to wear into work and how much makeup to put on in the morning, so as not to impede their work. Both of the new girls fitted in well with their older colleagues who in turn accepted them into the team and invited them to join in with their conversations whenever they were available. It was almost as if there never had been a young man working for the company.

By the end of each working day both models found themselves to be quite tired and so after sharing an evening meal both was happy to stay in, reading, writing letters or emails or else watching television.


After they finished the photographic session on Friday Helen asked each of her two models in to her office for a chat.

‘Sue and I have been very pleased with the way things have worked out over the last week, Denise. We've made very good progress, and if we can keep it up then we should easily have the new web site operating by the end of August. You and Samantha seem to work well together.’

‘Thank you,’ she replied. ‘In fact everyone seems to work well together. I've really enjoyed the job.’

‘How are you finding your new accommodation?’

‘So far it has been fine, the room is really comfortable. Samantha and I will have to learn to get used to one another, but there have been no problems so far,’ said Denise.

‘So are there any regrets regarding Denis?’ asked Helen.

‘None as yet, but even if there were, I'm sure we could work things out. Believe me, I'm committed to Denise for the next three months, so you don't need to worry’ she replied.

‘Good, I'm so glad you can offer me that re-assurance.’

Ten minutes later Samantha emerged from the same office having given an equally positive assessment of the situation.


Denise and Samantha continued to get on well with one another, both at home and at work. Denise ensured that she did her share of the housework and was a considerate flat mate by clearing up after herself whenever she used the kitchen or the bathroom. She also paid her rent in advance and made sure that she contributed half towards all of the expenses they incurred. As previously arranged, the Saturday morning was largely devoted to housework, and the afternoon to shopping, both for the week’s supplies but also for cosmetics.

Samantha, was not too heavy-handed with her attempts at moulding the character of her new flatmate, although she did occasionally point to some unladylike mannerism or turn of phrase. As an English literature student, she was horrified to find her new friend had never read Jane Austen, and so loaned her copies together with a list of other novels to read and films to see, in order to enhance her feminine education. Denise took it all in good part and always enjoyed her friend’s company. However she also wanted to preserve some privacy and independence. Thus when Samantha was invited out clubbing on the Saturday evening with a group of friends from her University, Denise declined to join them, although invited. She preferred to stay in and to write to her friend in Singapore.

‘I'm bound to be back late and so will probably sleep through next morning, but if you like we could have a late lunch together tomorrow,’ suggested Samantha.

‘Alright, I'll check on you at noon tomorrow to make sure you're awake’


The following morning Denise brought a cup of coffee to Samantha’s bedroom at midday and the latter was just recounting her experiences the previous night when her mobile rang. She looked at the display and took the call.

‘Hi John, it is nice to hear from you? What can I do for you today?’

She listened for a while, and then responded.

‘We were planning to go out to Shepherd’s Bush Green for lunch in about an hour, but I should think that will be alright. Let me just check with Denise.’

She held down the privacy button so that he could not hear and turned to her companion.

‘It is my cousin John, he's in London and took Jane and Simon a housewarming present yesterday and ended up staying the night with them. Now he's offering to take us both out for lunch before he drives back to Birmingham this afternoon. What do you think? Shall we accept his offer?’

‘I can’t very well say no now that you have just told him that it'll probably be alright, can I?’ said Denise.

‘Just what I thought,’ answered her friend mischievously, before speaking into the receiver again.

‘Yes John, Denise would love to have lunch with you,’ she said.

Denise blushed and decided that perhaps she ought to go and change into something a little more attractive and put on some more makeup.

Forty-five minutes later the doorbell of their flat rang. Samantha asked her friend to answer, claiming that she was still getting ready. John stood at the door carrying a large bunch of flowers.

‘Hi Denise, these are for you, to help brighten up your new room.’

Denise blushed and then thanked him.

‘So where are my flowers then?’ asked Samantha, in a jokey voice as she emerged from her room.

‘You haven’t just moved house,’ he said, by way of explanation.

‘And you don’t fancy me as much as my new housemate,’ she answered.

This time he blushed.

‘Stop teasing him,’ said Denise. ‘There are more than enough flowers here for both of our rooms.’

They divided the flowers into a pair of vases, before going out to a nearby restaurant for lunch.

‘So what brings you down to London, John?’ asked Samantha.

‘I had an interview on Friday and have been offered a job in the city. I'll be moving down here myself in a few weeks,’ he said.

‘That'll be nice; you'll be able to take us both out after work sometimes,’ she added.

Denise looked disapprovingly at her friend, but John couldn't see her expression from where he was sitting.

‘What's your new job?’ asked Denise.

‘I'm a financial analyst,’ he replied

‘So coming to London will make you much better off,’ commented Samantha.

‘Only a little bit better off to begin with, but if I perform well I 'll be due for a good bonus at the end of the year.

‘Where will you be living?’ Samantha asked him.

‘Jane and Simon have offered to let me stay for a week or two in their spare room until I can find something suitable,’ he said.

‘Don’t leave it too long before you find somewhere or else you’ll be sharing the room with their new baby.’

‘I know, but even with my new salary most flats are too expensive. I'll need to find someone to share with.’

‘I am afraid you're too late, I have captured Denise as a flatmate.’

Both John and Denise blushed at the suggestion, and he muttered something about looking for a guy to share with. Samantha got up from the table and excused herself. Denise looked up in surprise.

‘Where are you going?’ she asked.

‘I just need to pop outside for a few minutes, I promised to make an important telephone call. I'm sure you won’t mind entertaining my cousin for me for five minutes, Denise?’

She didn't wait for an answer.

There was an awkward silence for a minute with each one wondering what to say.

‘I was surprised when I heard that you'd moved in with Samantha, I rather got the impression from you that the story of Denise was coming to an end once the wedding was over,’ he said.

‘Yes, I know, and I'm sorry if I misled you,’ she answered. ‘When I last saw you I genuinely thought that was what was going to happen. However, events rather overtook my earlier plans. Your cousin’s pregnancy has meant that Samantha and I have been offered jobs as models and so it looks as if Denise will be staying with her for the next three months.’

‘Yes, Jane told me, and I'm glad,’ he said.

She blushed but didn't answer, and once again there was an awkward silence.

‘You know Denise I really enjoyed your company during Jane’s wedding reception,’ he said.

‘I had a good time too,’ she answered smiling ruefully.

‘In that case, perhaps we could go out together sometime?’ he asked tentatively.

Denise sighed.

‘I don’t know John. I like you a lot, but I'm still pretty confused about things.’

‘Yes, but if we went out together it might be one way of sorting out your confusion,’ he said, tentatively touching her hand.

She waited for a few seconds before moving her hand away from his.

‘When do you start working in London?’ she asked.

‘In three weeks time,’ he answered.

‘Please will you give me those three weeks to try and decide what I'm going to do?’ she asked. ‘I promise to make up my mind by then.’

‘Alright, but if you don't want to go out with me I'd prefer if you told me outright rather than just put me off.’

‘It is not that I don’t want to go out with you but ….’. Her voice trailed off without completing the sentence.

‘But what?’ he asked.

‘Please allow me those three weeks to make up my mind,’ she said, briefly touching his hand again with her own.

‘May I phone you in the meanwhile, just for a chat?’

‘I suppose so, as long as it is just for a chat and you don’t try to pressurize me,’ she answered.

‘No, of course I won’t,’ he replied.

‘In that case you had better take my mobile number.’

He was just entering her number into his phone when Samantha returned, she didn't say anything but looked quite pleased with herself.

John called over the waiter and paid the bill.

‘Ladies, I'm afraid that I must leave you now as I have to drive back to Birmingham. Would you like me to take you back to your flat?’

‘No thanks, it is only a short walk,’ said Denise without even consulting Samantha.

‘In that case, it was nice to see you both, and I hope to see you again fairly soon.’

With that he kissed them both on the cheek and left.


‘Well?’ said Samantha as they slowly walked home

‘Well, what?’ answered Denise.

‘Well, what happened?’

‘You deliberately dropped me in it, and then left me to fend for myself with your cousin, that’s what happened,’ said Denise with mock anger.

‘It was quite clear to me that he wasn't going to ask you out whilst I was there,’ said Samantha.

‘You didn't check with me first to see whether I was ready to go out with anyone yet.’

‘Of course not, you'd probably have said no. Whereas I am here to encourage you,’ said Samantha.

‘Alright, but please do not push things too fast,’ said Denise.

‘Sorry,’ said Samantha, ‘But since you gave him your telephone number, you must be planning to see him once again.’

‘He is your cousin and will be staying with your sister, I suppose it's quite likely that I'll see him again,’ said Denise.

‘But are you going to go out with him Denise?’

‘I'm not sure - I am still thinking about it,’ she answered smiling.

‘Alright, but don’t think about it for too long, he won’t wait for ever for you to decide.’

(Next time Denise receives a phone call that will present her with a problem.)

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nothing Too Surprising...

...except perhaps that Samantha made it explicit that "I am here to encourage you", as opposed to allowing things to proceed at Denise's pace. (WE knew that; did Denise?)

Eric

A Summer of Changes - Book 3 Chapter 1

Sam just might push things TOO far and cause trouble for Denise, causing Denis to take over.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A Little Confused

jengrl's picture

I am a little confused over the situation. When Denise moved in with Samantha and even before, Samantha said she never wanted to see Denis at all. It appeared to me that Samantha might be a lesbian who disliked men and that maybe there would be a scenario where Denise and Samantha would fall in love after being roommates .I was really surprised that Samantha would work so hard at getting John and Denise together and I just don't know what to think anymore. Great story though.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

One swallow doesn't make a summer

I appreciate both the positive and negative comments on my story, and also the occasional corrections. I would, however, say to everyone that we are only half-way through and reached the beginning of July. I always intended it to be slow-moving.

Hugs to all,

Louise

Kinda bizarre if you ask me

I still don't see how Samantha could be considered a 'friend'.

Denise hit it on the head when she said she should be asked first.

I have severe distaste for this kind of 'engcouragement'.

Sounds like we are going down the well-worn road of Denise 'discovering she likes men' deal after dating John. No problem, that's okay, but that is not what I believe was Denis's original goal is it? I know if somebody tried that with me, I would tell them to you-know-what with it.

Kim

A sumer of Change

I find it hard to believe anyone would find fault with Samantha. She has been
an excellent friend to Denise. If it were any other person I am sure Samantha
would also be encouraging that person. We must keep in mind it was not
Samantha who put Denise in skirts nor did she offer her a job as a model. When
Denise accepted the job as a model she embraced her femininity and all
Samantha is doing is helping a cousin find love and smoothing the path that
Denise wants to take. An excellent chapter and story.

Kaptin Nibbles

Surely you jest!

Sam departed long ago from the realm of friendship and is on the fasttrack to branding denise and saddling him/her with a dog collar! How many ultimatims is this tramp going to give him?

It's very obvious where Samantha is coming from.

Samantha made it very clear that Denis was out of the picture, and that her friendship was with Denise only.

Denise fully accepted that and moved in on those conditions that she was a full time girl at Samantha’s flat and Denis was unacceptable to Samantha.

Denise has reneged on that by telling John (and Samantha) that she wants 3 weeks to consider his proposal. For F*'s sake there is no Denis at Samantha’s.

Samantha has honoured her agreement and is a good friend of Denise’s', and will look after her best interests. If Denise can't handle that she should go back to her own flat and play Denis/Denise without screwing Denise’s real friends!!

So there!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Obvious, Sure -- But...

Just because "there's no Denis at Samantha's" doesn't mean that Denise is obligated to date her roommate's cousin. It's not as though this was previously presented as a quid pro quo, a condition of Denise moving in.

Samantha is NOT "a good friend", she's someone bent on imposing her will on Denise -- "for Denise's own good", of course.

Eric

so RITA

I suspose you're telling us that Denise should be entering a homosexual sexual relationship with Greg. Sorry babe. that's one recipie for disaster for sure.
-
What I dont understand is why Samantha is pushing for this type of relationship. Surely she knows Denise doesnt have proper equipment to do anything else. OR ELSE, she's the one out of touch with reality

Another jokester!

He didn't crawfish anything! IT IS HIS CHOICE WHAT HIS ORIENTATION IS NO MATTER IF HE WEARs SKIRTS OR PANTS!

That girl disgusts me!

The story says she doesn't do anything to triffle with her(denise's) character. There was nothing wrong with denis's character for anyone to triffle with. It seems destined that this girl is going to keep pulling his/her strings until she/he tells her to but the hell out!

"Are you a boy, or are you a girl"................ A girl !

Folks, Folks, Folks, Does anyone listen to what the author has to say ? Samantha is not a bitch, a lesbian, or a dominating busybody. She's a typical 20 something match maker. We've all met at least one like her, maybe two. Often married, they're not happy unless all their single friends are in a relationship. Nothing malicious, maybe irritating, mostly sincere, they want everyone to be as happy as they are.

Denis was Denise passing as a man. Think Victor, Victoria. But don't forget Alex Karas' part in the movie. Remember to, they all thought James Garner was Gay for dating Victor.
Cousin John is dating Denise, who has a pumbing problem. That said, she needs to take hormones to reduce testosterone before something embarrassing pops up at the wrong time.

Cefin