On the Way to the Dance

Printer-friendly version

This is just a little peek into the lives of a couple of very special teenagers as they head towards their first high school dance.

On the Way to the Dance
Copyright 2010 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A few strands of hair tickled my bare shoulders as I turned to look out the window. The dark shapes of the vaguely familiar buildings we passed seemed ... not exactly scary, but kind of eerie.

Maybe it was because I was used to seeing them from the school bus in the daytime. Maybe it was just nerves. Whatever the reason, I had to close my eyes and turn away to shake the feeling.

I felt Jo pick my hand up from my lap and squeeze it gently as she asked, "You going to be okay?"

I opened my eyes and turned to her shadowed face. "I'm ... well ... a little nervous."

She tilted her head a bit as she asked, "About going to the Freshman Dance?"

"Yeah," I answered. After taking a moment to smooth out my skirt with my free hand, I said, "More specifically, I'm nervous about wearing this."

"I think you look very pretty in that dress."

I could feel my face getting warm as I looked down at my flat chest and asked, "You mean, for a boy?"

Jo took my chin with her fingertips and tilted my head until I was looking at her again. "I mean for anyone, boy or girl."

Looking at the open, sincere expression on her face, I could tell she really meant what she said. Still, something was nagging me. "But ... I thought you only liked girls."

A grin spread across Jo's face that made my heart feel all fluttery. "I do." Her expression got a little more serious, but there was still a smile in her eyes as she said, "At least, I used to."

"So, you like boys now?"

She chewed on her bottom lip for a moment before she said, "I like ... feminine people," A shiver ran up my arm when she stroked the top of my hand with her thumb as she added, "and you're one of the most feminine people I know."

As I was trying to absorb that, the car came to a stop and Mom turned around to face us. "So, you two ready to have a good time?"

Jo mumbled something that sounded affirmative, and I just nodded my head, too stressed to speak.

"Great!" my mom said with just enough enthusiasm to be embarrassing. "I'll be back to pick you both up when the dance is over." She looked at Jo and said, "I'll be expecting you to be a gentleperson with my son."

Before I could complain about the way she was acting, I noticed a sparkle on her lashes when she turned to me and said, "It looks like my baby's growing up. Have fun, but not too much fun."

"Oh Mom," I said as I reached over the seat and hugged her around the neck, then felt her arms around my shoulders as she hugged me back.

After we pulled apart, my mom brushed a tear from my cheek, then smiled softly and said, "It's a good thing you wore waterproof mascara."

I found myself giggling for no reason I could really explain. After a moment, Mom joined me.

When we eventually calmed down, Jo touched my arm and asked, "So, you ready to go?"

"About as ready as I'll ever be," I said as I straightened my back and turned to my date.

She gave me a huge smile as she took my hand and helped me out the door. Once I was done waving to Mom when she pulled away, I poked my hand through the crook in Jo's arm and followed her to the open gymnasium doors. For some reason, I had a feeling tonight would change my life in more ways than anyone could imagine.

I looked up at Jo's still smiling face and couldn't help smiling back. If she really was willing to be there for me like she seemed to want to be, I just might be able to face whatever changes came my way.

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lovely

Andrea Lena's picture

So nice that I simply had to dress for the occasion. I love stories like this...Thank you so much for blessing my day!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

On the Way to the Dance

Heather, this little snippet is sweet, sentimental and very much deserves more of a story to go with it.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Stunningly Sweet Vignette!

I like it!

If anyone complains about me walking around the rest of today smiling, I'm going to blame you. :)

Great Story

I agree with stan!! more story please !

Prelude and follow-up

RAMI

This was a delightful little story. Please Heather the prlude and the follow-up would be great and entertaining reading.

RAMI

Short and sweet

Only one thing - I really would like to see the situation before and after this precious moment in the life of a yet unnamed protagonist.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

A LOVELY ,

ALISON

'sweet story,Heather Rose,please don't leave us in suspense !!

ALISON

Very nice!

Short but sweet. Will there be more?
Puppy Dog Eyes Neko
Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

This is very much a "feel

This is very much a "feel good" story and I feel good for having read it. Thank you!

A Good Start

Heather,
Since we are without an option to vote, I will cast one vote this way. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all our mothers were so "cool" with the situation?
You were very careful to disclose to us that he is a boy in a dress going to a high school dance, but not disclose whether his/her escort, identified with a female first name and pronouns, is also cross dressed. Seems like you left yourself a little plot ploy to link in a second chapter. Please feel free to do so.
Thank you for sharing with us all.
Avid Reader

More on the Way to the Dance

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for all your lovely comments. It's just wonderful knowing people have enjoyed my story. I really hadn't planned on adding to this story. I've tried thinking of what might come before and after and got some general ideas, but nothing specific enough to make a story. It seems to be my burden in life to be a short-short story writer.

Hi Heather

Please assume another vote from me too. Heather, I think that this charming little scene can survive just as it is, but if you want to add to it please do. Sometimes one has in mind just one scene, and to expand on it might ruin it. The situation you created is fraught with uncertainties and dangers for your characters - perhaps you would rather not spoil their imagined evening by trying to explain everything for them - well I for one would understand that.

BTW, I loved your infinity symbol in your sky there! Very clever!

Briar

Briar

Great stuff, not a burden

Hiya Heather,

As I read it I just knew it was standalone but hoped there might be a before or after or epilogue or something. You never know, one day you might be thinking about something else and a storyline might creep up on you from behind, wrestle you to the ground and threaten to tickle you until you write it down.

If writing great short stories that leave your audience wanting more is a burden there are probably a queue of people wanting to be burdened. (I almost wished to be burdened myself but knowing my luck it would happen before I finished writing my current historical epic (it's epic for me, probably an average length story for anyone else))

Hugs
Cat

-
You can't choose your relatives but you can choose your family.

Our random section brought this up again for a blessing

Andrea Lena's picture

...if things had been a bit different growing up? This story more than any other brings me back to when I was that age and I cry; some out of sadness but mostly because there is so much hope that stories like this can come true. Once again, excellent story. Thank you!


She was born for all the wrong reasons
but grew up for all the right ones
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Very well written.

This is nice, romantic, heartfelt, and straight forward. Nothing is left to the imagination here, as everything is spelled out. The freshman dance is the most important dance of a person's high school life, because it formally begins high school social life. This story is cute of a lesbian taking a CD? TG? to that dance, and the mother admonishing the lesbian to be a gentleperson with her...son. Beautiful, gentle, and straight forward. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Excellent

A good story and very well crafted

Thank you!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank you all again for all the wonderful comments you've left for this story. While I have do have bits and pieces of this world floating around in my head, the bits aren't really coming together into anything that resembles a story. To be honest, I'd love to see more of this story too. If my muse does offer anything more, I'll definitely let ya's know. :)

Heather Rose -- Why Are NFL Football Games Like Stories?

Because some people think the only important ones have Roman numerals after their names.

BC has an unfortunate case of serialitus. You write a wonderful story. Note the only modifier in that sentence is wonderful.

Super bowls aren't the only football games worth watching and serials aren't the only stories worth reading. In fact -- I'm a mega football fan, but I watch the Stupor Bowl mainly for the ads.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I discovered this tonight

Having only arrived, so to speak. This was sweet. It made me cry over the tenderness and hope of a lovely relationship. I must thank you so much for this story. As you said, two very special teenagers.

A Sweet Revisit...

Andrea Lena's picture

...stories like this seem to affect me more and more the older I grow and the further away I get from the time when this could have been me. It makes me cry to know what I have missed, but I do have hope that somewhere some child will be sitting with her mother talking about the prom and her date and how wonderful it will be. One child at a time. Thank you for reminding me how wonderful life truly is.

I do so agree with Ole; it would be lovely to see this story continue!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Lovely and sweet.

Ole Ulfson's picture

I hope one day your muse will return to these thoughts and allow you to expand them. The story demands it; your readers desire it: It's something only you can do.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Thanks again!

I just wanted to leave another note of thanks to everyone who's read and commented on this story. I still only have vague ideas on how this story can be continued, but I haven't given up on it. Believe it or not, I'd love to see what happens in this story too. :)

Just found this

I like this. Short and sweet and yet fill with so much potential.
Hugs
Grover