Princess For Hire Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Princess for Hire

By Melanie Ezell

Daniel Henderson has managed to beat the odds and been accepted into Kingston Academy, one of the best private high schools in the country. However, when Daniel is invited to take part in a special program, he learns that there's more to the school than he had thought...

NOTE: This story is loosely -- as in VERY loosely -- based on the manga/anime "Princess Princess." After the initial concept, any similarities are mostly coincidental, unless they aren't. (Puzzle that out why don't ya.)

Part 5: The Princess's Escort

-13-

The gown was floor length, with a tight slightly boned waist to add some minor curves that I otherwise would not have had and what the seamstress had called "almost a hobble skirt, because you boys always take such long steps and it makes the dress look bad when you do," all in a shimmery light yellow material that I could never remember the name of.

I looked down at myself in the gown.

I looked over at Andrew, standing there in a nicer version of the school uniform and smirking at me.

I looked back down at myself, and vaguely wondered how long I would be able to last on the heels hidden somewhere beneath before my feet decided to stage a mutiny and throw me to the floor.

"I hate you so much right now," I said calmly as I took his offered arm and we made our way for the entrance.

"I know, right?" He replied, confident that I wouldn't hit him since I was relying on his support for balance.

"Ow! Sonuva-"

He was wrong.

We had all been warned ahead of time by the Head that the Alumni Banquet would be boring, and that we would all be expected to remain polite and alert the entire time despite that. It seemed that the Alumni Association had taken an interest in our particular 'alternative education experiment,' and had requested the presence of a handful of representatives of the Princess program at their annual banquet so they might try and see some of the affect we had in person. In the end the names that had been drawn were Sarah's, Julia's, and mine. I had complained, but the Head had said that they would appreciate having a representative from each grade that was participating in the program, and that I was the only freshman with enough experience to pull it off, not to mention the only one who had already been fitted for an evening gown.

I smelled a setup, but I just gritted my teeth and bore it, like I was doing now as Andrew escorted me to our reserved seats with the other Princesses and their escorts.

"Isn't this just so exciting?" Jules asked me as I settled into my seat, Andrew sliding it snugly into place. I was ready to ask her if she was serious, until I saw her look of disgust. McNalley sat next to her with a showman's smile on, and I watched him nod to some of the older men as they entered.

Sarah, in her own baby blue dress, laughed quietly. I looked at her, and my eyes bulged when I noticed the cleavage she was sporting in her strapless gown.

"Are those real?" Slipped out of my mouth before I could slap my hand over it, and I stared at her in wide eyed horror at my own faux pas.

She gave me an odd look, then laughed again and nodded. "I've been on hormones for almost a year and a half now. Why, are you jealous?"

I shook my head and glanced down at my own nearly flat chest, my only enhancement being the small amount of flesh displaced by the corsetry in the dress. That was disturbing enough for me -- the idea of having actual breasts sent a chill down my spine.

"You okay?" Andrew asked me, resting his hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, just had a scary thought is all."

He nodded, then sat down across from the boy who was serving as Sarah's escort for the evening. His name was lost on me, but the strange looks he was shooting around at the rest of us grated on my nerves.

It was sometimes hard for me to remember that I had only been in the Princess program for a month. In that time I had already been to two soccer games and a basketball game dressed as a cheerleader, learned how to do makeup and generally dress myself, and managed to be one of the students with clothes in the laundry at the time that a prank gone wrong destroyed the dryer, ruining my only pair of boy's uniform pants in the process. That had been just under a week before, and even though I was supposed to receive a pair of replacements the day after the banquet I had suffered a week of wearing a pair of pants three sizes too big for me. It was either that or my Princess uniform, but I was determined to wear that as rarely as possible.

Not that it made any difference. I know the Head had talked to some of my teachers about watching me carefully and making sure to use pronouns according to how I was presenting, but even with that there were more than enough slip ups with being called 'Becky' or 'girl' even when in class. I was sure now that the Head had been right about me being grouped in with the Princesses regardless of whether I had joined or not -- I just wished that I could be grouped in with the other guys when I was dressed normally.

Instead, I received all the courtesies of a Princess at all times, the same as Sarah. I still was not sure whether to be insulted by this or flattered, but I was leaning toward the former.

A tug on my hand brought me back to the dinner, and when I looked over Andrew was gently pulling me to my feet. Everybody else was already standing up and facing the stage expectantly.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the MC's voice echoed out over the crowd as the lights dimmed and a spotlight was directed on the aging, bald man with microphone in hand. "Welcome to the seventy-third annual Kingston Academy Alumni Banquet. As you all know, I'm Rolph Donner, class of '31, and I was asked to speak at this fantastic event because I am currently the school's oldest living alumni. And, trust me, looking around this room I can tell you that's saying something." The crowd laughed politely, and the old man gave the auditorium a toothy grin. "But I know just what to do to make you all feel just as old as I do..."

What followed was one of the longest, most boring parades of speeches and presentations I had ever witnessed, and to top it off I could not even temper it by attempting to enjoy the food because of the foolish corsetry built into my dress. I looked over at Andrew, digging heartily into his chicken and potatoes, and hated him a little more. Then I imagined what he would have looked like if he had worn my dress. The thought made me smile, and imagining all the torment he would undergo almost made the rest of the event tolerable.

To make matters worse, it felt as though every ten minutes another alum of the school would stop by our table to talk with us and find out exactly what was going on with the Princess program. Apparently the program had escaped their notice some way or other for the past two years, and consequently many of them were highly interested in learning the finer details of what the program did. The three of us Princesses answered questions as best we could, with me being thankful that Sarah and Jules were able to field all the questions unless I was specifically asked.

The mutiny occurred less than ten minutes before the event ended. I had been standing for almost half an hour, greeting alum after alum in my pretty little dress and saying pretty little words so they would all see what pretty little things us Princesses could be. I turned to greet the next alum who had come to ask me some damn fool question about another inconsequential bit of nonsense associated with the program -- I was getting a bit tired of it all, to say the least -- when my ankle decided to collapse, sending me tumbling backwards into the table, sending drinks, food, and dishes strewn asunder.

Or it would have, if Andrew had not caught me.

I recovered quickly, but not before catching the smirk on his face. I was glad he was more comfortable around me now, but his constant smiling like he knew something I was unaware of could get on my nerves almost as much as his constant bumbling had done before.

Or perhaps I was just in a bad mood.

Despite my foul mood and anger at his very presence, I was not above using Andrew as a support to keep weight off my now dully throbbing ankle, and after exchanging pleasantries with the last of the alumni, most of whom gave our entwined arms a somewhat disapproving grimace, he escorted me, slowly, back to my room.

"Some night, huh?" He asked, once we had reached an area of the halls where the constant droning of the old men in conversation could no longer be heard.

"I've had better."

"You do look beautiful in that dress, though."

I glared at him, but all it did was make him chuckle.

"Hey, ease up. You've been tense all night."

I sighed. "This has been the single longest month of my entire life."

He nodded. "Regretting joining the Princess program?"

I started to nod, but something made me stop myself. "I... I don't know. Not really."

A gentle pull on my arm caused me to stop, and when I looked at Andrew again he had a puzzled look on his face.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Why would I?" I asked in response.

He began ticking off items on his fingers. "One, you have to dress like a girl. Two, you have to get treated like a girl. Three, because of your, uh, 'unique' situation, you don't even get a break when you're dressed as a boy. Four, you've got responsibilities to the school to fulfill out the wazoo. Five, you have to dress like a girl."

"You already said that."

"It bears repeating." He stared at me for a moment, making me feel very uncomfortable. "And lastly, six: you don't seem to like having to put up with me all the time very much," he said, with a faintly hurt look on his face.

Of all the reasons he could have given, that was one I had not expected. "What? Why would you say that?"

He grunted and stepped back, crossing his arms. "You're always acting annoyed when I'm around, you try to avoid me, you're always frowning whenever you see me, you-"

"No I'm not!"

He paused. "Yeah, you are. I thought we could be friends when I met you getting off the bus, and okay, so I was a bit freaked out at first by how easily you slipped into the Princess schtick, and the way I acted probably didn't help any, but I've been trying to be friendly to you, and you keep acting like I'm some jerk who you'd prefer would go some place else. Is that what you would prefer?" There was no anger in his voice, nor on his face.

Somehow, that made what he said hurt worse.

I wanted to answer right away, but I knew that anything I said would be the wrong thing, so instead, I gave myself a few minutes to think.

"I..."

"Well?"

"...I think I want to go to bed." I finally said.

He hung his head, defeated, and offered me his arm. I leaned on him as I limped the rest of the way to my dorm, but I dared not say a word.

-14-

I lay in bed and thought.

It was Saturday morning, the beginning of a three day weekend thanks to Monday being Labor Day. I had planned on going into town with Sarah this weekend, as a way to, as she had put it, "see what being a girl is like outside the stuffy walls of Kingston," but after what had happened the night before between me and Andrew I had begged off.

Why did I feel I had to be so rough on him? As much as I complained about him, he and Bobby were probably the only two boys outside of the Princesses that I could consider friends around campus, and of the two of them I much preferred his company over Bobby's constant ribbing, no matter how good natured it was intended. Andrew was always nice to me, and always tried to treat me with respect. So, why did I always feel angry at him?

Or, was that the reason? He might have always been nice, but he also always acted like he was on his best behavior around me. He always treated me with respect, yes, but it was always the kind of respect that a boy would afford a girl friend, and not the kind between two buddies. In short, he always treated me like a girl, and while I knew I really did not hate him, I did hate that he felt like he had to treat me that way.

I rolled over and covered my head with a pillow, trying to stop the flow of thoughts, but they just kept coming.

If that was the reason I felt so angry when around him, then why could I not just pull away?

There were at least two reasons, the most obvious one being that he had been assigned as my personal Protector, which still annoyed me to no end. All the other Princesses, even Sarah, only had Protectors assigned to them specifically when we went to major events off campus, and the rest of the time the Protectors were meant to keep a general watch over everyone. Unfortunately, I knew who was to blame for this one, and Andrew was not it. The downside of calling my dad and letting him know about the Princess program in the way I did was that, unknown to me at the time, he had gotten the school's number and threatened the Head with a gruesome death should anything happen to me. From what I heard later, lawsuits and some kind of LGBT legal organization had been brought up too. The end result was that the Head had gone a bit paranoid over my safety, and when he had learned that Andrew was the first freshman to ask to join the Protectors, and Julia's brother to boot, he had jumped at the opportunity to take care of the problem.

And thus, I had managed to yet again score the dubious honor of another first in the school records, the first Princess with a permanent escort. It was only a small consolation to learn that the head was considering expanding it so all the others had one too.

The second reason was more complicated. I did like Andrew as a person, as annoying as he could be, and even then I knew it was my problem more than his. The last thing I wanted to do was punish him for my personal hang-up.

I spent the entire day Saturday alone in my room, thinking over what to do about the whole situation. All the other Princesses had managed to find other ways to spend their labor day weekend, either at home, with girlfriends and boyfriends, or with town passes, so even at meals I had the table to myself. All in all, it left me feeling abandoned, alone in a school of over five hundred students.

Was I really that dependent on the company of the other Princesses? A quick scan around me at dinner, seeing what student body remained at the school idly chatting to one another at other tables while I sat alone, told me that yes, I was.

"Hey, are you doing okay?"

I turned back to my own table and there stood Bobby, gesturing to the seat across from me and asking permission with his eyes. I nodded, and he sat down, his overfilled tray making a loud 'thump' when it hit the table.

"Well?" He asked.

I started to say I was fine, but found myself shaking my head instead. "I don't know. Things are weird right now."

He nodded. "Andrew looked pretty down when he came in last night. What happened, lover's tiff?"

I shot him a glare, and the small upturn that had begun to appear quickly died.

"Okay, sorry. But seriously, you know I'm here if you need to talk, right? Andrew isn't the only one of us in the Protectors."

I sneered at him. "Is that why you're here? Filling in for him?"

Bobby took a bite of his food, making me wait before answering. "Partly. Mostly, I'm here because I thought we were friends."

That threw me for a second. "Really?"

He nodded, looking at me as though I were an idiot. "Well, yeah! The four of us late arrivals gotta stick together!"

"Four?"

"Me, you, Andrew, and Stew."

"Stew? Oh, Stewart." I had not spoken two words to our sophomore bus partner since that first day, but I had seen him talking to Bobby and Andrew.

Bobby carefully sat down his fork and Looked at me. "Listen. Me and Andrew, we like you, even though you've been a bit of a bitch. Just saying," he said, raising his hands when I glared at him. "But come on, think about it."

"I'm not a--"

"Think."

I frowned at him, but the earnest look in his eyes made me listen to him. Had I really been that bad?

"Oh, god."

I had.

He nodded.

I wanted to sink down into the floor, and the more I thought about it, the worse I felt. He was right. Ever since my first day at Kingston, I had been pretty universally, for lack of a better word, a bitch. Andrew, Bobby, even around Leslie and the other Princesses.

"Why have you put up with me so long already?"

Bobby laughed, and rolled his eyes. "Because, for some reason, I get the feeling that that isn't you." He shrugged, and took another bite of his food. The two of us sat in silence, thinking, while he chewed.

Finally, he sat down his silverware again, his tray empty. "Just do me a favor, okay?"

"What? Anything," I said, feeling more guilty by the moment for my behavior the last few weeks.

"Try and ease up a little. There are some jerks around here, but most of us are good people. Give us a chance, you'll see soon enough." He picked up his tray and walked away, leaving me to stew on his words.

I received little rest that night, instead spending most of it thinking over what Bobby had said. While I felt I had not been as bad as he had made it out to be... I had been coming close.

Was it because of the Princess program? If so, then that was only a small part of the problem, and it was not something I was going to give up. There was no other job left on campus that paid as well, if there had been any others to start with, and there was no longer any way I could separate myself from the program short of shaving my head and growing a goatee, and knowing how I looked that probably would fail as well.

If there was any part of the Princess program that was to blame, it was part that I was only just coming to grips with myself. I liked being treated like I was special. Paradoxically, that was also why it made me so angry and upset all the time. I had thought I had escaped the influence of my stepfather and his insistence on the ways that men and women were supposed to feel and act, but I was finally realizing that his views had affected me more than I had thought.

I did not think it was being treated as a girl specifically that I liked, though; that just happened to be how I guess you could say it manifested. No, what I liked about it was that people looked at me as though I were someone respected, someone important. That feeling was intoxicating, at the same time as it infuriated me that I liked it so much. Or maybe it was the inability to turn it off that made me so mad. The others, except for Sarah, just had to put on a pair of pants and stop shaving and they were accepted as normal guys. Even Bradley/Brandy and Wilson/Wendy, the two freshmen who had agreed to join, could get by as guys without too much trouble, but not me. The closest I came to being treated as a normal guy came from the students who actively disliked the Princess program, and I did not feel that their angry refusal to so much as look at me without a scowl really counted.

For years I had been forced to listen to my stepfather's rants about how men and women were supposed to act and supposed to be treated. I had always told myself I would never let myself think like him, but I was finally noticing just how much of what he said had affected me. Here I was getting angry because I was being treated like a girl when I was a boy.

Why did it matter?

"Why does it matter?" I asked myself out loud. Unfortunately, the room had no better answer to the question than I did.

There and then, I made a resolution. My first day at the school dressed as a boy I had decided that I would be myself despite how the others treated me. That night, I decided that if I chose to do that, then I had no right to object to their reactions to it. If they saw me as a girl, then I could accept that without anger. I HAD to. Otherwise, I was no better than people like my stepfather, who insist on men and women in their places. If my dad could do it, then I could too. I just had to do it on a bigger level, is all, but I had the advantage.

The school was safe. As long as I stayed here, or with other students, there was little danger of me facing the same dangers and persecution I knew my dad had to face sometimes. So, I should just let myself enjoy it. Experiment, and find what makes me happy.

If part of that is that people treat me like I am some kind of delicate flower, then I can handle that.

Just making that decision had me feeling better, and at last, I could fall asleep.

-15-

"I still can't believe I let you talk me into this."

"Oh, quiet, you'll enjoy it. Trust me."

"I'm trying."

I had thought that canceling my plans to go into town with Sarah on Saturday would give me the entire three day weekend to decompress and be alone.

It had been some time around midday Sunday that she tracked me down and informed me that she had talked the Head into changing my town pass to Monday instead of Saturday rather than canceling it, and that since she had gone to so much work to allow me into town I had no right to refuse unless I just wanted to hurt her feelings. I still was unsure of whether I preferred guys, girls, or both, but seeing a girl pouting had the same affect on me as most other guys, and that in combination with my new resolution to be nicer led me to agreeing.

The dress had not been part of the agreement.

"Couldn't you have found me something a little less... revealing?"

"What? Besides, it's nice and cool."

"It's the middle of September."

"And eighty-five degrees out."

"It could start cooling down any time. In fact, I think I'm feeling a chill right now." I said, rubbing my hands up and down my arms for emphasis and trying to ignore the few beads of sweat that collected on them when I did.

She blew a raspberry at me and continued walking along the sidewalk. "Keep up or you'll have to be out like that all by your lonesome."

I rolled my eyes at her, but started walking again. At least the sandals were more comfortable than the heels I had worn Friday, even if they were wedges.

I had agreed initially to go into town with Sarah as a girl more out of boredom than any other reason, but seeing how happy she was to have someone to talk to outside of school made me begin to realize how alone she must feel on campus. Even among the Princesses, she stood apart as the only one of us as far as I knew who actually wanted to be a girl. That, I figured out, was why she had wanted me as a friend so badly -- because, while I had no desire to be a girl, I could never completely separate my boy self from the Princess. She might be officially dating Leslie now, which I knew had a lot of the regular boys at school scratching their heads, but in a lot of ways she was more comfortable around me.

To top it off, she was right. The dress was cool, and the strange padded bra-like object she had taped in place on my chest gave the impression of breasts beneath the yellow and white checkered material while still allowing the halter neck to showcase my bare back. All in all it was one of the oddest feeling outfits I had ever worn, and it was little comfort that she was wearing an almost identical dress in a solid green color.

"Ooh, come on in here! This is one of my favorite places in town!"

I followed her into "Chocolate Heaven" and up to the counter.

"Two large Chocolate Heaven Specials to go, please." She turned to me, her grin nearly splitting her face. "My treat."

"Coming right up, Sarah," the pimply faced boy behind the counter said before turning to the machines behind him.

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when he handed her two massive styrofoam cups with clear domed plastic lids, the kind with the large round hole in the top. The cups were filled to the brim with a dark, thick chocolate ice cream, and I could see large chunks of brownie and fudge penetrating the top. With a practiced hand, Sarah took a large canister of whipped cream off the counter and filled both plastic lids until there was an inch tall crest of white sticking right out of the top, and then handed me one of them, along with a long red spoon.

"Dig in!" She said, then took a large spoonful of her own, her eyes rolling back as she moaned in ecstasy. I looked over at the counter, and the pimply faced boy was watching her with a wide grin.

I hesitantly dipped my spoon into the sea of whipped cream, pressing downwards until I felt the ice cream begin to resist. I carefully pulled the spoon out, and looked at the dollop of chocolate topped in white cloudy cream. I closed my eyes so I could not see the boy behind the counter, and took a bite.

I heard another moan of pleasure, and opened my eyes to see Sarah giving me a triumphant look. The moan had been mine.

"I think we have another convert, Chuck," she said to the guy, and he just nodded before turning to the next customers in line.

We took our shakes and continued our exploration of the downtown area, Sarah giving me a brief history as she navigated.

"Persistence isn't a huge town, but that's one of the things I love about it. You can walk from the outskirts at one end all the way to the edge at the other in about seven hours, but in between there's lots of great little shops, restaurants, and places to hang out. It was great growing up here."

"You're local?" I asked her, surprised.

She nodded. "When I was offered a scholarship to Kingston my mom and dad were ecstatic. They thought that going to an all boys school, my dad's own alma mater in fact, would make me less girlish." She made a face, then laughed. "Luckily for me, I started the same year that Professor Uchiha took over from his dad and started the Princess program. My parents didn't like it much, but when they saw how much happier I was..." She grew quiet, a dark look crossing her face.

"Sarah? Are you okay?" I asked, approaching her and wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

She nodded. "Yeah. It was a lot harder that first year, you know? Now the students are more used to it, and the older ones help newer ones to not be so mean, but that first year there were... a few problems. That's why the Protectors were started, originally just by a few of the students who wanted to help us, but eventually the Head decided to make them part of the program so they would be compensated for what they were doing."

I squeezed her gently, and she wrapped her arm around me and squeezed back. Suddenly my dad's insistence on personal protection seemed much less overbearing than it had.

"Then why didn't they shut the program down if there were problems?"

"Because it also did what he had hoped it would. By the end of the first semester most of the troublemakers had been weeded out, and at the end of the second most of the student body agreed that they liked having the Princesses around. When we find two more freshman Princesses it'll be easier for you to see some of the things that caused so much trouble the first year."

"Like what?"

She sighed, but gave me a sad smile. "I think you'll probably find out soon enough."

We had been wandering around for a little over two hours when Sarah recommended we stop for lunch at a place called "Gizmo's," with a sign featuring a poorly drawn version of a mogwai holding a hamburger. Inside, the place was covered in old, dark paneling, and the booths looked like they were long past needing reupholstered. It was also stuffed full of kids around our own ages, all laughing, talking, and generally making a nuisance of themselves around the pool table and ancient pinball games in the far corner.

"Hey!" She called, waving to someone in a corner booth. I looked over, and there sat Leslie in boy mode waving us back, facing towards us across from someone else.

We pushed our way through the crowd and eventually reached the booth. Sarah slid in next to Leslie, giving him a quick peck on the cheek when he wrapped his arm around her, so I slid into the booth on the other side and out of the crowd before looking to see who was with us.

Almost like magic, all the noise around us died down at once, then after a few seconds, started up again.

"Did you eat already?" Sarah asked Leslie.

"Yeah, I hope you don't mind?"

"Nope! I'm not that hungry. Welp, we'll just leave you two alone, shall we?" She said, then stood up, pulling Leslie with her. I just continued to sit there, mildly stunned, while Leslie gave me a look that said 'what could I do?' before following Sarah to the counter to procure stools.

Andrew slid around the back side of the booth until he was sitting across from me, looking down into his plate of fries. "This wasn't my idea," he said, picking up his fork and idly playing with the soggy bits of potato, rolling them about in ketchup.

I nodded.

"If you want me to go, I can." He went to stand up.

"No! Don't leave me alone!"

He gave me a scornful look. "So now the Princess doesn't want to be alone?" Then his face fell. "Sorry." He sank back down.

I shook my head. "No... I'm sorry. About what I said Friday night..."

"Look, you don't have to explain," he started to say, but I raised my hand to quiet him.

"Yeah, I do. Look, I talked to Bobby on Saturday. Did he tell you?"

The beginnings of a smile quirked one corner of his mouth. "He said you looked real cute when you pouted, but that's it."

I rolled my eyes. It figured. "Well, he really put it in perspective for me how I've been treating you. Listen, I know I've been, well, a bitch, and I'm sorry. It wasn't fair to you."

"It's okay."

I shook my head. "It's not. You're probably the only guy at school who's really tried to be friends with me, and I've done nothing but push you away. Can you forgive me?" I lowered my head and looked up at him through my lashes, intentionally going for a girly pouty look like I had seen Sarah use when she wanted Leslie to do something for her.

Andrew laughed, loud and long, and when he looked at me again, he had an honest smile on his face. "Well, since it's rare for a guy to get a girl to admit she was in the wrong--"

"Hey! I'm not a--"

"I guess I have to accept," he finished, sliding back around next to me. He hesitated a moment, looking nervous, then dropped his arm around my shoulders. How could I help but laugh? I leaned into the gentle hug, and after a second he took his arm back away.

We sat there in silence, but a comfortable one this time, for almost a minute.

"He was right, you know." Andrew said, looking at me strangely.

"Who?"

"Bobby. You really do look cute when you pout."

"Oh, shut up," I told him, but I was laughing and smiling when I said it.

(End of Part 5)

NOTES:

I think this is actually one of the longer parts I've done of this story. Hopefully everybody likes it!

I know I've been focusing kind of heavily on the interplay between Beck/Becky and Andrew, but since I consider them the two core cast members there's a good reason for that. Don't worry, though! The other cast members, including out two newest Princesses who you haven't had a chance to really meet yet, will play more major roles as the story goes on.

As a side note, I think I'm finally getting into the swing of things and actually developing a stable voice for the story. Horray!

Thanks for all the comments on the other chapters! And as always, if you comment, more will come. IF YOU COMMENT, MORE WILL COME.

Melanie E.

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

He-he!

It looks like Dad has played a trump card "Mess with my child and you will rue the day"! And since it was basically a father-daughter variety... Scary!

New Princesses? I would have suggested to introduce a Gentle Giant/Big Girl variety - but there is already one:

The rest of the table heartily agreed, and most conversation ceased as we ate our meals. In addition to Leslie, Julie, and Sarah, I also met Danielle (the brown haired girl with the headband,) Kylie (another blonde with short shaggy hair and a longish nose) and Amanda, a very tall African American who talked as little as possible, mostly because she had a very deep bass voice that contrasted harshly with her appearance. I couldn't remember the other girl's name, but I was sure I would learn it eventually.

Well, maybe this one could be voiced by another actor! ;) And yes, I'm looking at you, Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Knew it!

That most of Becky's problems were that she actually liked the way she/he was being treated, but could not come to terms with it. Great story, lots of mileage left in this story so, pleeeease carry on,
Love and cuddles,
Janice Elizabeth

Princess For Hire

Excellent chapter. I believe Becky and Andrew are off to a good start in
developing a romantic friendship. I call it that because I believe Becky is
capable of liking Andrew from the perspective of either Beck or Becky and
Andrew is capable of responding in the same manner. For Becky it is a friendship
that can allow her greater freedom to express her feminine side without the
fear of having someone who has less than noble plans. Andrew can benefit from
the friendship because Becky can help him overcome his fear of girls and enjoy
the company of Becky. This romantic friendship need not involve sex but can be a
strong and warm friendship with a little hugging and kissing that does not
compromise each others gender but allows them to grow as friends. Thank you
for this excellent story.

Kaptin Nibles

Princess For Hire Part 5

I wonder if Becky will turn out to follow Sarah and start taking hormones to stay a girl? And just what is the criteria that they use to find a Princess? Do they look for those who want to be a Princess or have shown a tendency to dress as a girl in the past?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great Work

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I had wondered how long Becky's 'poor me' attitude would be allowed to continue but never in a million years would I have predicted that Bobby would be the one to call her on it. And it's interesting to see Sarah's roll in getting Andrew and Becky together to patch things up. Perhaps she feel's she's found a kindred spirit?

Excellently written as always and I look forwards to seeing the story unfold. You've taken it in a completely different direction from the anime so far and it's all the better for it.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

YAGI, YGI

(You Asked For It, You Got It!)

So Beck's still been trying to resist the allure of dressing en-femme any more than is strictly necessary, but is realising that everyone treats him as a Princess even in "girl mode" - something not helped by having Andrew hovering around most of the time, courtesy of dad. So with his stock of boy clothes diminishing while his girl clothes will inevitably increase, I imagine it won't be too long before circumstances dictate that Becky appears more frequently.

Besides which, with all the rituals associated with the Princess Program, it wouldn't surprise me if Becky takes a few more town trips with Sarah, just to get away from it all for a few hours - especially as even female street clothes are more comfortable than the formal frocks required of certain Princess Program events.

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

10 kinds of people

And then there is hexadecimal.

Stable Voice.

"I think I'm finally getting into the swing of things and actually developing a stable voice for the story. Horray!"

Yes, and I like her!

Khaduuj

Every interaction of staff and students with Beck seems ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... designed to make HIM feel guilty for wanting to be a boy. Why shouldn't Andrew's "constant smiling like he knew something I was unaware of ..." make Beck uneasy? If there is a plot, He's most likely in on it and does know more than he's telling. Add the whole washer malfunction thing and it sure seems as if there is, indeed, a plot here to manipulate him into becoming a girl whether he actually wants to be one or not; just the fact that he's been pressed into more princess duties than any of the other princesses is a giveaway. It also seems as if part of the plot is - if they can't turn him into a girl - to turn him into a gay crossdresser. I'm guessing Andrew is bi and willing to romanticly play "Becky" either way.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

I do not see why there would be a 'plot'

as Beck is a free agent and can push come to shove, quit.

Few people have the time and energy to form conspiracies. And in Beck's case, he has just made a free choice to be true to him/herself and if that happens to be very non-traditional male .... so?

Personally I am jealous of Sarah. Man, she must have started hormones when she was only 14 or 15 or so.

Kim

Beck's okay...

... It's the other people around him, that's the problem.

PB

Social compassion

A most valuable skill. Empathy. Beck/y is learning such skills that, let's face it, girls learn a lot earlier in life. A necessity really. I was the youngest of three ( the only girl but hey they did not know that ) so I always was given more leeway in certain things. ) As such I had to play a nearly feminine role in my earlier years though I think I was pretty gender neutral.

Letting him/herself be the person he/she feels he/she ought to be is profoundly liberating. Now, as is the usual problem, how does any feminine skill that are gained get integrated into his/her non-Princess life. At this point Beck/y does not seem to be really trans anything. What is Beck/y's role to play in the social dynamic of his/her school?

Anyway, so lessee, let's check off one box in her growth: Let other people be who they are and enjoy them for it and engage them as who you are and not who you think you want to be. N'est Pas?

Kim

Just wonderin'

I smelled a setup, but I just gritted my teeth and bore it, like I was doing now as Andrew escorted me to our reserved seats with the other Princesses and their escorts.

That's happening quite a lot lately....

It was sometimes hard for me to remember that I had only been in the Princess program for a month. In that time I had already been to two soccer games and a basketball game dressed as a cheerleader, learned how to do makeup and generally dress myself, and managed to be one of the students with clothes in the laundry at the time that a prank gone wrong destroyed the dryer, ruining my only pair of boy's uniform pants in the process. That had been just under a week before, and even though I was supposed to receive a pair of replacements the day after the banquet I had suffered a week of wearing a pair of pants three sizes too big for me. It was either that or my Princess uniform, but I was determined to wear that as rarely as possible

Another 'setup'? The school's delay on providing him with a proper fitting pair of pants certainly suggest the Head's complacency in the matter.

The downside of calling my dad and letting him know about the Princess program in the way I did was that, unknown to me at the time, he had gotten the school's number and threatened the Head with a gruesome death should anything happen to me.

Wonder how much dear ol' dad has had to do with Beck's unusual treatment as a Princess - from his 'recruitment' to now? Why did dad insist on a full-time personal Protector for his son? The Head's plan to make it mandatory for all Princess' just smacks of his attempt to cover up the special treatment Beck was recieving by making it appear as part of his intention to do so.

From what I heard later, lawsuits and some kind of LGBT legal organization had been brought up too.

I find it curious why his dad would bring in an LGBT organization into the question. Maybe he's steering 'Beck' to become 'Becky' for some reason? Maybe he believes his son is TG and is out to 'help' him.

It had been some time around midday Sunday that she tracked me down and informed me that she had talked the Head into changing my town pass to Monday instead of Saturday rather than canceling it, and that since she had gone to so much work to allow me into town I had no right to refuse unless I just wanted to hurt her feelings. I still was unsure of whether I preferred guys, girls, or both, but seeing a girl pouting had the same affect on me as most other guys, and that in combination with my new resolution to be nicer led me to agreeing.

Another setup, else why did Sarah take it upon herself to disregard Beck's desire to be alone on the long weekend and get the Head to reschedule his canceled day pass. On top of that, she insisted he go into town as Becky.

We had been wandering around for a little over two hours when Sarah recommended we stop for lunch at a place called "Gizmo's," with a sign featuring a poorly drawn version of a mogwai holding a hamburger.

The trap is about to be sprung....

Andrew slid around the back side of the booth until he was sitting across from me, looking down into his plate of fries. "This wasn't my idea," he said, picking up his fork and idly playing with the soggy bits of potato, rolling them about in ketchup.

Andrew so much as even admited to Becky was it was a setup by Sarah and Jules!

It's now only too obvious why Sarah insisted on having Becky around. What's not so obvious is why Sarah and Andrew's brother are so intent on driving the two into a romantic relationship. At this point, Beck has not been proclaimed as TG let alone gay. Information thus far tells us that he's only a Princess for the cash, yet Sarah and Jules (along with assorted others of the staff and student body) seem intent on changing that.

PB

Andrew's Smile

terrynaut's picture

Hey! It's nice to see another chapter of this story. I'm really enjoying it.

Someone suspected Andrew to be part of some sort of plot to keep Beck as a girl. But I think Andrew smiled because he knew about Beck's father calling the school about keeping Beck protected. I don't think there was any real conspiracy.

I'm very happy that Beck is relaxing into "her" role and being nicer to her friends. She wasn't being very pleasant.

Thanks for another chapter, and remember that you can't more comments unless you write more. :)

- Terry

Yeah!

It sounds like people have been reading too much bad TG fiction.

This is reality after all ;-).

Joke!

I am firmly on the anti-conspiracy side, obviously. The tone being set by our author does not suggest any intent in that direction. Beck/y will react to his/her particular situation as she sees fit and makes sense.

Kim

One promise

And it's one that I seem to have to make every time I write a story... *sigh*

No. There is NO conspiracy by people who should know better to change our main character into a girl against their wishes. No, there is no conspiracy to force Beck into being someone he doesn't want to be. No, there is no intention of forcing any of the characters into any kind of situation.

If there's one thing I get tired of when writing my stories, it's that there are so many people who seem to see undertones of forced femme in what I write. There's only one thing I've ever written that even came CLOSE to forced femme, and that was "Boys of Summer," which is being rewritten.

I don't like stories where the main character is controlled or connived into being something they aren't. If there's one thing that I'm not good at, it's subtlety. There aren't undercurrents of deceit lying under all of my character's actions, because I get fed up reading stories where every character has an agenda that seems to revolve around the main character getting the shaft.

I don't play that way.

If there's a setup by characters that I haven't made obviously evil, then it will always -- ALWAYS -- be with good intentions for the main character involved. This involves, but is not limited to, having them face their problems head on, and giving them a chance to make decisions on their own as to handle them. I write stories I want to read, and a lot of backstabbing and turning on your friends without fair warning always hurts me when I read about it.

Sorry, and thanks to everyone for being interested enough in the story to comment at all :P I just wanted to make sure it was out there.

There are no conspiracies to "make Beck gay," or force him into being a girl against his wishes. There will, however, be plenty of opportunities set up to give him chances to explore his own feelings on issues, both concerning his sexuality, gender, and anything else that comes up. One thing that will remain constant, though, is that Beck will ALWAYS have a choice.

He could have stood up from the table and walked away when Sarah and Leslie left, and neither of them would have held it against him. Andrew was "set up" as much in this situation as Beck was. I had hoped I had made it obvious before this, though, that Beck had wanted to talk to him anyhow, and the situation played out to his/her advantage.

So, what is it about my writing that lends itself so well to these huge conspiracies? Please let me know, so I can try and fix it :(

Melanie E.

I don't know, really

I've always been a fan of speculating on the story events, but I prefer to have something to go from for that. The way you've put Andrew and Becky in the same booth at the same time did show that they both were set up - otherwise Andrew would have been inside already alone. In fact, the entire "conspiracy" to me is like a behavior I sometimes adopt - silly bouncing on my toes behind someone's back, and gentlish prodding in that one's back while egging that someone on. And hey, I back off once I'm told!

Maybe your other readers simply have other associations.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Conspiracies

Yeah, I get that a lot too. My answer to them is mostly the same as yours: stuff happens, you don't have to read something evil into every single thing that happens. Except, of course, when you do.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be ascribed to incompetence." Or something.

This is a good tale. As others have said, it may even be superior to the manga original, which I have read. Like you, I try to go a little deeper inside my characters, to try and find out why they think and behave the way they do.

It seems obvious to me that Becky is somehow attracted to Andrew, but being basically still boy inside doesn't want to admit these feelings to herself. Currently she just feels uncomfortable around him but doesn't really understand why. Perhaps Sarah is the best person to help her through this patch. But not before we've had some more interesting encounters of the confused gender kind, of course.

Penny

Hmmm

I try to go a little deeper inside my characters, to try and find out why they think and behave the way they do.

I agree.

Some might question my use of the word 'conspiracy' where Beck is concerned, but I ask you to consider:

If Becky was doing this on 'her' own, that would be one thing, but she's not... even in the most remotest sense. The student body, the staff and the other Princess' have obviously been 'informed' about Beck, even before 'her' arrival. If other's, other than Beck are directing events (both in and out of class time)to keep 'Becky' around, then that's a conspiracy. It doesn't have to be match between good and evil, as some may suggest, to fit the criteria of a conspiracy. Even your friends planning a 'surpise party' for you, is a 'conspiracy'.

Beck's treatment has by all accounts, been out of the norm. Even the school's Head admits to that. Normally future Princesses will be allowed to be boys the first week, to allow the school and the other students, to get used to seeing them being boys. Beck was considered a Princess by all, even before he got off the bus, but he wasn't told by those who met him! All he got from their strange comments and behaviour towards him was the old standby "you'll find out". His first day as a Princess was his first day at the school! Ever wonder why, at the first meeting with the Head, it was so important that Beck volunteer to join the Princess Program? It did take some persussion and 'arm twisting' by Julian and the Head to get him to finally agree.

The school and his 'friends' (not to mention the other students) all seem to be working toward keeping 'Becky' around as much as possible. Some (character's and readers) would like to see that 24/7/365.

I also wonder if his real dad's the source of all this. I mean by excersizing some hold over the Head. He seemed to exert quite a lot of influence on the Head's actions when he threatened legal action if his kid got hurt as a result of bullying. The inclusion of a LGBT group into his threat seemed rather odd. Does he believe his son is TS/TG and wants to 'help' him, inspite of his stepfather? If the Head's feeling the pressure, it wouldn't be too hard to get the rest of the staff and the Princess Program behind him.

Sarah and Jules/Julian also each seeem to have their own agendas ... or is it part of the overall picture? Jules may gripe about being a Princess like he did at the formal, but I dunno if that's genuine. He may just enjoy being a CD but still likes being a boy & obviously Sarah likes that arrangement just fine.

Sarah also seems to think Becky shares her interests in being a girl 24/7/365 and is doing all she can to steer him in that direction, even to the point of dictating how Beck spends and dresses during his free time. She had to get that idea from somewhere or someone. Both Sarah and Jules/Julian seem to be set on pairing Beck/Becky romatically with Jules' brother, Andrew, ensuring the two boys are together and seen together, as much as possible. Again, why? The weak notion of helping Andrew deal with girls only holds so much water.

According to what we do know in the story so far, Beck hasn't really considered if he likes boys or girls, but for some unknown reason, others have decided it's to be in favour of Becky and boys. Like I said... if Becky was doing this on 'her' own, that would be one thing, but she's not.

PB

Conspiracy

Is there a s conspiracy to turn Beck/Becky into a CD gay. Beck/Becky has already
made the choice to wear female garments. He was recruited for the program because
he/she appears to have a strong feminine side. Andrew has previously expressed a
fear of talking to girls. In an environment of a boys school that fear was not
going to be addressed. His attraction to Beck/Becky is probably the result of
his/her expressing a feminine side even as Beck. We should not forget that Beck/Becky
has stated he/she is not sure if she likes boys, girls or both. Beck/Becky looking very
feminine it is not surprising Andrew would be attracted to him/her and use a
friendship with her to overcome his fear of girls. As I read the story Beck/Becky
comes across as a female despite his preference for clothing not so girly. A lot
of females prefer a less so called "girly" look. It is not the clothes that give
women their mystic but the women wearing those clothes that give the clothes
there mystic. Beck/Becky in a pair of pants or dress is not going to make a
difference how she comes across. She projects female in what ever she wears.
It is not surprising that Andrew would seek out to be friends with Beck/Becky.
Especialy if she provides him with a feminine companionship and the safety in
his mind that Beck/Becky is still a boy and he can deal with his fears of girls
in that manner. In time his fear of girls will leave him. As for Beck/Becky
it allows her to explore a feminine side of herself with a person who is basically
a safe person. Yes, there is a conspiracy to get two people together who can benefit
from a mutual friendship that can at times become romantic.

Kaptin Nibbles

It's more than that...

This whole thing started before Beck arrived at the school, before he met Andrew. See my previous comment.

PB

Perhaps

I think in the story it says testing is done to weed out persons not appropriate
for the school. If this testing was done perhaps it was learned that Beck/Becky
was an excellent candidate not only for their school but for their "princess"
program. When I read the story and see the manner in which Beck/Becky is
responding to his rapid recruitment and Andrews attention to her I feel her
response is that of a girl not that of a boy. A girl that feels to much is
being taken for granted about her availability. To bring one pair of pants,
even though it may be uniform pants sounds odd to me. You would think that he
would have other pants available for non school days. Yes, I believe a conspiracy
has taken place, one that would put Beck/Becky in the princes program. Was
there a conspiracy to bring Andrew and Beck/Becky together. I believe there
was because the same testing done on Beck/Becky was probably done on Andrew.
His problem with girls, shyness, was probably discovered. Thus providing a
a situation where two students could work out their problems and be of mutual
benefit to each other. Otherwise, Andrew has no business being in an all boys
school if he is socially handicapped by his shyness. He would need to be in
a school that has boys and girls so he could interact with girls. And the
benefit to Beck/Becky in attending an all boys school would be if
it had a "princes" program allowing him to express his femininity
without fear of being ostracized. He has the benefit of expressing his
femininity without fear. I do not believe he could tell fellow students
he is not sure if he likes boys, girls or both in an all boys school without the
"princes" program.

Kaptin Nibbiles

Maybe....

There is NO conspiracy by people who should know better to change our main character into a girl against their wishes. No, there is no conspiracy to force Beck into being someone he doesn't want to be. No, there is no intention of forcing any of the characters into any kind of situation.

If there's one thing I get tired of when writing my stories, it's that there are so many people who seem to see undertones of forced femme in what I write. There's only one thing I've ever written that even came CLOSE to forced femme, and that was "Boys of Summer," which is being rewritten.

I don't like stories where the main character is controlled or connived into being something they aren't. If there's one thing that I'm not good at, it's subtlety. There aren't undercurrents of deceit lying under all of my character's actions, because I get fed up reading stories where every character has an agenda that seems to revolve around the main character getting the shaft.

I don't play that way.

So, what is it about my writing that lends itself so well to these huge conspiracies? Please let me know, so I can try and fix it :(

You're focusing on 'evil'. Not once did I imply that was the case.

It might be because (and it doesn't have to be with malicious intent) you have 'x' number of people, all with a common thread/purpose (ie. the school, the Princess Program and assoc. with Beck), doing their best to keep 'Becky' around and actively discourage any appearence of Beck - whether he wants it or not - by having them contrive seemingly questionable reasons 'she' has to appear. Hence ... a 'conspiracy'.

The school has yet to live up (in Beck's case) to it's policy that the boys in the Princess Program only need to be girls one day/week and special school events. The ediquette class replacing one of their classes is one such point. The way the story has read, Becky has also been required to attend more classes than Beck, for one rteason or another. If the school played by it's own rules, you wouldn't have such an imbalance in favour of Becky. You maintain Beck always has a choice .... not if 'Becky' keeps being put into situations and called upon, so often and so fast, that Beck can't even think, let alone get his pervebial feet on the ground to get his bearings.

True, Andrew wasn't part of the Labour Day setup as some people seem to read I'm claiming, from my posts. He was just as much a 'victim' of Sarah and Jules, as Beck was. But if nothing is afoot and Beck isn't pressured by others than himself, then why, on his longest period of free time - 3 days of the Labour Day weekend, do you have his so-called friends insisting he be 'Becky' (Sarah had to have the Head's co-operation to overturn the wishes of a student and re-instate a cancelled pass without that students 'okay') and for all intensive appearences, publically meet a boy as if on a date? Why couldn't Sarah just ask Beck to accompany her into town and let him know the agenda before they left? They still could've met up with Jules and Andrew. Sarah and Jules still could've left together and Andrew and Beck still could've talked.

The bottom line of the Labour Day rendevous is that if the sole purpose was to get Andrew and Beck(y) talking again, that could've been accomplished just as easily as Beck. In fact, probably easier as Andrew finds relating to Beck easier than Becky. If it was to give Andrew some time to get used to dealing with a girl, that could have been done in the more relaxed confines of the school. I'm sure both boys would've felt more at ease. By insisting it publically appear as if it was boyfriend/girlfriend, that implies a whole different intent on the part of the other two.

To me, that is not a boy exploring his softer side on his own inititive ... there's a lot of 'unwanted' encouragement, there.

On that particular occassion, Sarah + Jules + the Head's involvement = a 3-way 'conspiracy' to push 'Becky' and Andrew together in a potentially uncomfortable situation - one not of his choice, but of Sarah and Jules choosing. If I was either of those two boys, I'd make the best of it being a public place, not wishing to add to either of our discomfort by drawing undo attention to either of us, but I would not be amused at the actions of the other two and resolve to let them know in no uncertain terms back at the school, either with the perverbial 'tougue lashing' and/or distance myself from their association. Friends like that, constantly steering you in a direction even you don't know if you want to go .... you don't need.

While the term 'conspiracy' is usually associated with an evil goal, the dictionary refers to the word as 'a surreptitious or covert scheme by a group of people to accomplish some end, most often an evil one ' (but not always, as indicated by the phrase "most often" - my note). Note, that not once did I say your intentions were 'evil'. I'm still reading it....

PB

???

I'm still wondering how people got that Beck had been picked for the Princess program before ever arriving at the school. That's something I might need to go back and make more clear, but no, it was a spur of the moment thing on his first day that was mostly precipitated by the Head's enthusiasm for the program and Professor Swift's desire to be a dick, which will be seen more of later in the story.

I'm also trying to see how Beck is being pushed into being Becky more than is normal for a Princess. So far the only things that he has done that didn't include all the others were A) the Alumni Banquet, and B) going out on the town with Sarah dressed as a girl. He wasn't the only Princess at the banquet either, and as far as the town trip, perhaps I didn't make a couple of things clear enough.

Beck had agreed to go into town with Sarah as a girl even when the trip had still been planned for Saturday. His main problem with the Princess program has been that he gets annoyed by being treated as a girl even when dressed as a guy, and Sarah had made it clear she wanted him to see what it was like as a girl around the town so he could experience more "normal" treatment as a girl.

Sarah and Leslie didn't leave the diner after having Andrew and Beck/Becky meet up, either. They went over to the front counter and stayed there, which I had thought I had made clear, but I guess not. The plan wasn't to abandon Becky with Andrew, it was just to give them a chance to talk, and in this particular case the only person who had any problems with that was Andrew, because he didn't want to force Becky to apologize, he wanted her to choose to do it on her own, which she did. Becky being dressed as a girl or a boy to talk to Andrew wasn't the issue, because either way they treat each other the same.

I still don't think that I've made people seem like they're trying to force Beck to be Becky. The problem Beck has is that because of his appearance and decision to be himself no matter how he's dressed, others are having a hard time separating his Princess persona from his male persona. For some, such as Sarah, they see this as a blessing because regardless of whether Beck is TS/CD/TV or anything at all, it feels to her as though she has someone else around who can understand her situation better than the other Princesses even are capable of. For most others it leads to confusion no matter how Beck is dressed.

Perhaps I'll be able to better represent the characters and people's reactions later on, as the school year goes on.

One other note; Beck's father is overprotective, yes, but by no means is he trying to turn his son gay or TG. His decision to contact the LGBT legal organization is more because of how the situation would be seen should Beck in fact suffer abuse -- the abusers would have been focusing on Beck because he looked and dressed like a girl. Abuse due to this type of thing is something I have heard of several legal cases being fought on, and to his father an LGBT organization would be the best choice to fight such a case regardless of whether his son is gay or anything else because of the nature of the situation.

Again, perhaps that's another thing I should have put more thought into providing explanation for in the story.

Melanie E.

Understandable...

I'm still wondering how people got that Beck had been picked for the Princess program before ever arriving at the school.

To do this right, it'll be rather a long comment.... but let's take this point-by-point. First Beck's arrival.

Well, the fact he was called a 'pretty-boy' right off the bus by another arrival who obviously knew what happens to 'pretty-boys' at the school and ol' Swift's calculated pairing up of Beck and Cartwright. I don't think Swift's actions was just because he was being an a-hole. There was something behind it. Swift knew who was whose guide before meeting the bus. He didn't just pick students to be guides to the new arrivals just because they happened to walk by.

"You will be escorted by Cartwright. I will speak to the headmaster and let him know you have arrived. What are your names?" As soon as he had our names, he turned his back to us and headed down the hall, leaving us with our two new companions.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Charles," the stocky, tanned boy said as he held his hand out to Bobby.

"And I'm Leslie," the short red-haired girl said as she did the same to me.

Wait... girl?

.. and the automatic assumptions of the other students upon seeing Beck with Leslie. It implied that since Leslie was escorting a 'pretty-boy' then.....

As we wandered the halls, I was constantly surprised by the other students' reactions to both Cartwright, who told me to call her Leslie, and myself. Everybody seemed to give her a great deal of respect, and worked hard to behave gentlemanly in her presence. Oddly, I found myself receiving many of the same courtesies, and it bothered me.

To further that, when Leslie showed Beck the dorms, the boy there called them 'ladies' and upon being chastised for calling them that, he at first put Beck in a regular dorm. His faux Pas was not an incorrect assumption Beck was a Princess, but that he prematurely included Beck as one of the ladies, thus almost 'spilling the beans'. Wouldn't the normal course for a new body call for him to be assigned to a regular dorm and only then, if he volunteered for the Program, be transferred to a new dorm with the other Princesses?

Leslie instead 'then had him unilaterally transferred' to the Princess dorms - BEFORE they met with the Head. If that wasn't pre-determined by the school, why was Leslie able to singularily change Beck's dorm assignment, thus in effect putting him in the Princess program? Surely that wasn't a decision that she could make on her own.

Not to mention the professor's treatment of Beck in his first class, PRIOR to meeting the Head and learning about the Princess Program.

"Ah, yes." He gave me a closer look, and I watched as his face broke into a broad grin. "Oh, splendid! I had thought that I'd missed the opportunity to have one of our special students in my class this year but--"

"AHEM," Leslie coughed from beside me, interrupting the Professor's comment. He gave her a curious look, but at her glare his eyes widened and he nodded.

The above exchange clearly shows that Beck's participation in the Princess Program was pre-determined by the school, if not the Head.

Princess Program partcipation.

I'm also trying to see how Beck is being pushed into being Becky more than is normal for a Princess. So far the only things that he has done that didn't include all the others were A) the Alumni Banquet, and B) going out on the town with Sarah dressed as a girl. He wasn't the only Princess at the banquet either, and as far as the town trip, perhaps I didn't make a couple of things clear enough.

Some of the extra demands put on Becky was that she appear on her first day of classes. Why? Even the Head admitted they usually allow the new Princesses to attend their first week as themselves to allow the other staff and students time to get used to them as boys. He also stated Beck was 'special' What did he mean by that?

In Chapter 3, you started by saying that Beck got throught the first week, so the chapter jumps forward to the second week. Further down you mention Tuesday of the second week.

Tuesday.

No Princess duties.

I can wear the boys' uniform today.

I barely managed to keep myself from jumping up and down on my bed in happiness. After almost a whole week of wearing nothing but skirts, blouses, dresses, and other bits of feminine clothing, including over the weekend at Leslie's suggestion and Sarah's begging, I was incredibly excited to be wearing something of my own other than my pajamas.

That implies he didn't spend much time if not all of it, his first week wearing his own (male) clothes. Not what he was initially told by the Head. He was told it's one day per week. Why the special treatment?

As I mentioned about the Alumni banquet, you made it clear they required a Princess from each academic level. But I pointed out that the school had other candidates, particularly freshmen to choose from. What sealed Beck's fate as you pointed out, was that he was the only freshman to get fitted for a gown. Why is that? Surely the school would know of the banquet well in advance (normally even appearing in the school event calendar at the beginning of the year) and as such the few freshmen in the program could've all got fitted quite easily when they got fitted for their various dresses back in Chapter 3. Not doing so and then only fitting Becky smells a lot like the whole thing had been planned to justify 'her' attendance.

Beck had agreed to go into town with Sarah as a girl even when the trip had still been planned for Saturday. His main problem with the Princess program has been that he gets annoyed by being treated as a girl even when dressed as a guy, and Sarah had made it clear she wanted him to see what it was like as a girl around the town so he could experience more "normal" treatment as a girl.

My point was that Sarah took it upon herself to convince the Head to re-instate Beck's cancelled pass without consulting Beck. The sole reason was to get Becky and Andrew together (a setup). Obviously Sarah and Jules planned it for Saturday, then had to scramble changing their own plans upon hearing Beck cancelled his request for a pass.

I still don't think that I've made people seem like they're trying to force Beck to be Becky.

I never said 'force', but the implication is there throughout the entire stiory, that good intentions or not, Beck/Becky is being afforded special treatment compared to what the other Princesses are getting or had gone through. In effect, 'Becky' is being fast-tracked, railroaded or whatever term you care to use, into becoming the dominate persona. Even if Beck is accepting of his softer side, he still is discouraged from physically appearing as 'Beck'. The episode with the destruction of his only pair of male uniform pants and the school's implied deliberate delay in offering a proper pair the next day as promised, shows that it's not a simple as the students seeing Becky even when dressed in his own clothes. As Beck concluded, they thought that Becky would appear rather than Beck in a pair of ill-fitting pants. Beck had other ideas.

As for Dad being fully aware, there's Beck's FIRST call to him in chapter 2, suggesting not only does he know about Beck's participation in the program. How, unless that was discussed with him when Beck was first being tested for admission. Naturally, Dad would need to let Beck explain about ther Program, but was it necessary or just an act of ignorance so as not to betray any prior knowledge? Dad also 'dresses', so I thought his automatic inclusion of an LGBT group would be a natural thing for him to consider if he had 'knowledge' of his son ... when making the 'threatening' phone call to the Head.

I know an LGBT group wouldn't be my first thought if I was threatening legal action in similar circumstances, but a good layer would, especially if I firmly believed my son was not TG/TS and if that were the case, to my thinking, there'd be no need to bring in such an organization.

"Danny! Calling so soon? Do I need to come get you?"

"No, dad," I laughed. "Things are fine. I just wanted to ask you some advice."

"Sure thing, what's up?"

"Well..." I hesitated. "I need some advice on being a girl."

"What?!" This time it was his turn to laugh, and I felt myself blush again as he cackled. "I appreciate that you want to follow in my footsteps, but really, school isn't-"

"Dad! It's not that! It's just..." I sighed, and began to explain the entire story to him. Occasionally he would "hmm" or chuckle softly, but not once did he stop me until the end. "And that's why I need your help, since you're, you know."

"A drag queen," he finished for me, with a sigh of his own. "Danny, I wish I could help you, but I don't think it'd do you much good."

"Why not?"

"Because what you're asking me is nothing like what I do."

"It isn't?"

"No, not at all. You're wanting to know how to pass as a girl, and all I would be able to tell you is how to play act as one."

Finally....

Again, perhaps that's another thing I should have put more thought into providing explanation for in the story.

Having written a few chapters myself, I know how hard it is to put everything down that you've envisioned. You have the background for each chapter, character and event in your mind and that enables you to put down a good, captivating story (which you're doing), but all that background remains just that, background. I don't recall how many times my proof readers took me to task on that point. I appreciate reading your point of view and as I said before, I'll keep reading....

PB

And I'm glad

you'll keep reading :P I just... I really don't see being so suspicious and nitpicking everybody's actions as being conducive to enjoying the story, myself.

Beck was the only freshman Princess fitted for a gown so far, because by that point no other freshmen had been chosen as Princesses. The others that HAD been picked had only been chosen the week before. Overall time that has passed is a month, but it's under three weeks since the chapter where the dress fitting happened.

All those in the Princess program at the time spent the first week as girls, so I still don't see how that implies him being forced more than the others, and as for everything else... I still think I had it explained in the story satisfactorily.

As for meeting up with Andrew in town, it WOULDN'T have happened, or not in that way, if it weren't for the way circumstances fell. The meeting was arranged because Beck's canceling the initial trip Saturday was an indication to Sarah that the argument the night before between him and Andrew had him more upset than he wanted to admit to anyone else. If things had gone better Friday, there would have been no problems Saturday, no meeting with Bobby that night, and no meeting with Andrew on Monday.

I just don't know how to explain this any more. There aren't any deep conspiracies or anything, or anybody deciding before Beck ever entered the school that he would be a Princess.

Go a little easier on the story :P Not everything in life is full of conniving and secrets and setups and things, and that goes doubly for my stories, because I DON'T LIKE THAT KIND OF THING, so WHY WOULD I WRITE IT? As sad and typical as it may sound, I like my villains to be villains, my good guys to be good guys, and everything to work out to make the protagonist happy in the end. I'm not gonna set up big deep plots involving all these things you see in my story -- you're giving me far too much credit, and instead of reading the story as a lighthearted fun thing -- as I intended it -- trying to make it something more than it is.

Melanie E.

I hear what you say, but....

I just... I really don't see being so suspicious and nitpicking everybody's actions as being conducive to enjoying the story, myself.

Suspicious .... no... I don't think so, am I? Wary maybe, but not suspicious.

Beck was the only freshman Princess fitted for a gown so far, because by that point no other freshmen had been chosen as Princesses.

Then he was chosen by default, nothing more. Re-reading from the start, I found the passage that stated he was the first freshman to join the program. Thanks for the mental correction.

The meeting was arranged because Beck's canceling the initial trip Saturday was an indication to Sarah that the argument the night before between him and Andrew had him more upset than he wanted to admit to anyone else.

I still disagree. It wasn't the idea of the meeting that was being questioned, it was the (covert) way they carried out the execution of their plans. Sarah and Jules could've just as easily setup the meeting clearly stating that it was arranged out of concern for two friends that could find themselves isolated if they let matters fester. It's a valid concern when you have the initial waves of discord in a tight little group where these two friends have to 'work' together, particularly if the reasons for the discord is less than trivial.

However, there was no need for Sarah and/or Jules (whoever decided Becky must attend) to insist that Becky need to be there. Her presence was not a 'deal breaker' to the meeting actually occurring. If Beck was confronted with their concern, according to the traits you've given him, he likely would've gone. Male friends can and do resolve their differences by discussion all the time without one having to resort to posing as the girl.

Now, if Sarah clearly offered Beck the option of attending as Becky, even asking 'her' to do it ... then let Beck make the call, instead of having Beck reluctantly (although a weak reluctance) accept Sarah's mode of dress and chosen outfit - that he had no input over (why not let Becky choose for herself - asking Sarah's advice) - it would've had a different 'feel'. You could've still had Becky go and enjoy the day instead of the deception and the setup.

All those in the Princess program at the time spent the first week as girls

According to your own words (chapter 2), freshmen shouldn't have.

All the Princesses dress up every day for the first week to help get the rest of the students used to us being here. Normally no new freshman Princesses would join us until after the first week was up and they had been given a chance to warm to the idea, but you're a special case."

There aren't any deep conspiracies or anything, or anybody deciding before Beck ever entered the school that he would be a Princess.

Maybe not as you see the overall picture, but from what you've divulged thus far, the pieces of the puzzle seem to imply different. When you address the question of 'why is Beck a special case', the answer to that may just solve the question of whether his participation in the program was pre-ordained or not. If it wasn't, then please at some point, offer an explanation as to why all the staff, Leslie, the boy (receptionist) at the dorms and the other students, were treating his participation as a forgone conclusion starting as soon as he got off the bus, prior to any discussion with the Head offering his formal invitation to join the program.

With the information offered thus far, having others making that assumption before Beck even knew what was going on, suggests others had been told in advance. If that bit of information was announced at the assembly Beck missed, Beck likely would've had a meeting with the Head prior to the assembly and the anouncement could've been properly made. As it stands, this forgone conclusion suggests someone's behind all this and the school as a whole, 'jumped the gun'. It may turn out Becky eventually embraces her situation, but that doesn't change how Beck was intially brought into the Program or why others knew beforehand..

Even Leslie, on Beck's first day, apologized for throwing him into the deep end like she did.

She gave me a worried look. "Listen, I just wanted to make sure you're really okay with everything that happened earlier. I mean, I kinda ran you into it a bit fast, and-"

Chapter 2.

Go a little easier on the story

I love the story as is, but it doesn't remove the questions.

I DON'T LIKE THAT KIND OF THING, so WHY WOULD I WRITE IT?

I often asked myself that very question when I wrote my 'Trilogy'. :-)

Seriously ... I'm not suggesting you do, intentionally or unintentionally, but I see questions in the current actions of those surrounding Beck. As I said before, just because one has questions, doesn't mean there's the malicious intent of an evil conspiracy.

you're giving me far too much credit, and instead of reading the story as a lighthearted fun thing -- as I intended it -- trying to make it something more than it is.

Too much credit? I don't think so. You're a good author and I think you've accomplished your stated goal of writing a lighthearted, fun, story ... but even the great comedies have been riddled with 'questions' until answered at or near the end of the story or film. Finding the questions, does not make a story more than it is. That implies I have an imagination. :)

PB

A Special Case

The reason Beck is seen as a "special case" is because of his appearance. More than any of the others short of perhaps Sarah, he looks like a girl. It was in the first chapter that I explained about the accident when he was younger and how he looked, and that's the entire reason he's considered different.

Freshman Princesses are normally not considered until the second week of the school year or later, and it would have been the same for Beck if it weren't for his obvious feminine appearance. As much as it is a plot device/crutch for these kinds of stories for the protagonist to be naturally (or unnaturally) feminine looking, because of the accident that is exactly what Beck's problem is.

Sarah had asked Beck to go into town with her as a girl, and Beck had agreed, several days before the Banquet. Since Beck doesn't have all that many boy's casual clothes, it's unlikely he'd have any casual girl's clothes at all, so unless he had wanted to wear the uniform into town there wasn't much choice but to borrow an outfit. Sarah chose it more with fun and to tease Becky in mind than anything else.

I really am glad you're enjoying the story, and I'm sorry I'm getting so defensive about it, it's just, really, there's nothing untoward going on concerning anybody obvious or not's intentions towards Beck/Becky. It's more of a snowball effect than anything else.

Melanie E.

Don't think conspiracy, think Murphy's Law, think ...

*a comedy of errors*. An unfortunate series of accidents. Fate laughing at us puny humans. The gods using us for their amusement.

Nice work yet again.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

details, details....

The reason Beck is seen as a "special case" is because of his appearance. More than any of the others short of perhaps Sarah, he looks like a girl. It was in the first chapter that I explained about the accident when he was younger and how he looked, and that's the entire reason he's considered different.

That connection wasn't apparent in the story.

Since Beck doesn't have all that many boy's casual clothes...

Where did this come from? Nothing was mentioned in the story about the amount of clothes he had. Why wouldn't he have several changes of casual clothes? If one is going to a boarding school for at least a school year, one doesn't expect to bring nothing and grab it all shopping at his new location. Maybe girls think that way, but trust me, guys don't.

From chapter 2 when Leslie walked in on his unpacking....

She pushed the door the rest of the way in and walked in, looking for a place to sit among my things that I had strewn about the room. "Nice job on the unpacking," she commented. "I didn't know that your desk chair could double as a dresser."

"Oh, ha ha, real funny," I scowled, "I was in the middle of unpacking but I had to take care of something first."

... that's all what was said on the amount of clothing he brought with him.

I admit I picked up the odd T-shirt after I settled in, but when I went down to the States for an intial 1yr IT contract, I took a lot more than just a stuffed sport bag ... and not one bulky suit was to be had. After 2yrs, I brought back an addtional 6 T-shirts, 3 dress shirts, 2pr of casual slacks, 1 pr of jeans and 1 pair of runners to what I went down with.

Since Beck doesn't have all that many boy's casual clothes, it's unlikely he'd have any casual girl's clothes at all

Now, the underlined bit you did include in the story! The Head (or was it Leslie?) explained that the Princesses enjoyed additional passes to town over the rest of the student body, for personal shopping that the girls' would need. As written, the story implied that the school only supplied the Princesses school uniforms, gowns and any other clothing they would require for their school-related extra-cirricular events. Thus, I could see the need for Sarah's assistance and yes, you did mention Beck had agreed to go into town as Becky sometime prior to the Labour Day weekend ... but that still didn't justify Sarah taking it upon herself (Jules too?) and having the Head re-issue Beck's cancelled pass without consulting if Beck actually wanted to re-think his original decision at this time - not to mention insisting, without asking Beck knowing the situation's changed somewhat... that they go into town NOW!

That's a perfect example of what I was saying earlier. Being as familiar as you are with your overall story, sometimes trivial things to you, get omitted. It's those trivial details that may provide crutial logic for the average reader who doesn't have your understanding of the subject or the story, as you do. We've all done it time to time. I've done it with my Trilogy (thank you proof-readers) and at times, even professionally. The words of a System Analyst I used to work with, come to mind .... "Remember, you're not the only one who'll read that documentation...."

PB (egarly awaiting the next chapter)

Worked with a system analyst eh!!

Obviously!

That's why you have missed a few lines of code; most of you don't know the difference between octal and binary?

All Dan brought to the college was a duffel bag, as was pointed out clearly. Also he had on his one and only uniform, and no money - which was why he had to get a job.

Who cares how many T shirts you had!

If you are so smart (eagerly is not spelt "egarly", looks like you didn't learn to read the documentation. I.E. - how to use spell checker.

Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I seem to recall

Regarding your question why Beck had to be en femme the entire first week:
---While freshmen are not usually considered for the first week to warm up to the idea of Princesses
---At the same time Princesses have to be en femme, to help with the warming up.

So in this regard Beck was treated exactly like any Princess, if not like any freshman.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

good story.

easy to follow, interest holding, interesting characters. Am enjoying immensly.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Wowzers

Longest comment thread ever! :-P

I liked this instalment. Beck's got his thoughts a little straighter in his head, and can now tolerate Andrew as a friend without feeling claustrophobic. I feel she has more of a voice now, and can evolve into a better person while dealing with her gender issues.

I'm well aware I'm using both pronouns in my comment, but frankly it's hard to tell Beck apart from Becky ~_^


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

Not by a longshot!

There are more than enough comment threads that are unbelievably long - like TiffQ's earlier Something Feels Strange chapters (up to and including 20). Then there is Lili, who has a good habit of answering comments as much as she can, whuch provokes another bout of comments. ^_^

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

It's still nice, though :P

I've got more comments on the chapters of PFH than on anything else I've ever written. In fact, the first chapter just recently bumped up to its SECOND PAGE of comments, a definite first for me!

Melanie E.

Princess for Hire

In some of the responses I've come to the
opinion that some readers think Beck/Becky
is gay. I think by his/her responses of
his preference for either boys, girls or
both he can best be described politely as
hetero-flexible.

Or someone looking for the right person no
matter the gender.

Our hero/heroine is a complex character and
cannot be defined by a word or two.

Excellent story.

Kaptin Nibbles

Too Many Comments!

But, I'll add mine anyway. Besides, it's short.

I like this story better than Princess, Princess!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Excellent Melanie!

I believe the story is now moving past the dresing up stage!

I'm hoping for some action please.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

a glimer

Pamreed's picture

I think SHE is starting to accept that being a girl may be
the route for her!! She is so lucky to be in an environment
that gives her for the most part a safe environment to be
herself!! Having started reading this late I can see that
there are many more chapters. So I assume a lot is going to
happen. Oh well I will find out!! Thanks Melanie I am enjoying
this story!!

Hugs,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Pam, you may be right

Right now, Becky may not want to be a girl but she may be finding in the not far future that it her best bet for a happier life.

Much Love,

Valerie R