Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1052.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1052
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next morning was Sunday. I woke Billie gently and told her to get dressed in her cycling togs. After a quick breakfast we were off out and trundling along at over ten miles an hour. Billie seemed comfortable, so I pushed it up a couple more and before long we were doing twelve and she wasn’t aware of it. apparently. I kept the speed fairly constant and five miles later, she was still hanging on to my back wheel. I signalled a stop for her to rest a moment and drink. I was just warming up nicely.

“We’re going up on the downs in a minute.”

“Um–do we have to?”

“Yes, I want you to be able to climb a bit, and that only comes from practice. Now don’t worry, I’m going to talk you up the hill.”

“What d’you mean?”

“I’ll show you, it’s easier than trying to explain it to you.” So I did. Basically, it’s simply about distracting someone from what they’re doing until it’s finished. When I first learned to cycle my dad did it to me, and then after a while a sense of competition came into our cycling and I was able to outclimb him by the time I was about thirteen. I still wasn’t a strong rider, and even though I kept up my riding, I felt too shy to join a racing club, so went and joined the CTC–The Cyclist’s Touring Club, sometimes called the Cafe to Cafe club or the Cake to Cake club, given their enjoyment of tea and cake stops.

By the time I left home and went to university in Sussex, I could ride all day at a reasonable touring speed, and climbed as well as the others in the club did–sadly, this wasn’t enough to qualify for the cycling club at uni, because it was a racing club. In fact, when I went out with them a few times on training rides, they left me behind and then told me to check out the girl’s team, as they were sure I’d fit in there much better.

I did coincide a ride or two when the girls were out, and I couldn’t even stay with them, so I went off got some advice about training and did so with a sort of zeal that I’d only ever thought of as being religious.

I rode three times a week, did some gym exercises and running. I got a bit stronger but still had no muscle definition, and at five foot seven, weighed nine stone or a hundred and twenty six pounds, dripping wet. In the words of my mother, I was like a matchstick with the wood scraped off.

In some ways I was pleased to be thin. My shape was like a prepubescent child, albeit a tall and quite toned one. I felt like a girl inside, but was too embarrassed to do much about it or even think about it–well consciously, I was. In my day dreams I was already a girl and looking increasingly like one.

I was fortunate in having thick luxuriant hair, which my ex-school friend Siân had encouraged me to grow and have cut like a girl’s. Even tied up in a ponytail it looked girlish against my narrow shoulders, and I was frequently assumed to be female from behind. It secretly thrilled me, but embarrassed me when others were about.

Of course, when I eventually took oestrogen, it kick started a puberty–a female one and my hips broadened a little and I grew breasts with large nipples–I didn’t however, grow any taller just more female. It was at this point that my homicidal sister-in-law and I bumped into each other.

I’m grateful for the bump-start she gave my new persona, because without her I might still be sitting in my room plotting my changeover instead of doing it. I lacked courage, she lacked restraint, and between us, Cathy was launched into the world.

I talked to Billie about what she wanted to do with her life, and the school thing in particular. She seemed set on going to the St Claire's Convent school. She seemed quite confident in her decision, that she wanted to go to school as a girl with other girls. I didn’t challenge anything and found that her body coped easily with the climbing while she was distracted. Much of hill climbing is about attitude, think you can’t do it and you won’t. When we stopped at the viewing point a little later, she was surprised she’d climbed without noticing it.

We rested and looked across over the city and out to the English Channel beyond. Then when she’d got her breath back, we shot back down the hill and she squealed all the way down–but, her pretended terror was really elation. She managed to stay in the saddle, because on a fast downhill, a few road bumps and you can bounce out off it very easily. I’ve even bounced out of my clipless pedals.

I complimented her on her ride both up and down the hill. She’d done really well for a novice and we rode home even faster than we left. Billie stayed with me and seemed pleased with herself, which I encouraged. I could still leave her for dead, but proving it would do what, possibly destroy the nascent rider inside her?

“Mummy, Maureen was looking much prettier yesterday, wasn’t she?”

I had to think for a moment–she’d had some facial reconstruction after the beating and her jaw was narrower and her cheekbones higher. She looked much better, but I hadn’t noticed–so much for my observational skills.

Back in the drive, Trish and Livvie were racing each other up and down the tarmac watched by a bemused Gramps. It appeared Trish wanted to improve her cycling skills and strength so she’d be ready to ride with me. I admired her dedication and spirit, and told her if she was still keen at Christmas, I’d either buy her a child’s road bike or make her one. She rushed off like a lunatic and nearly ended up in the fish pond.

Livvie told me she wanted the same for Christmas as well, and that she was going to be the next winner of the Tour de France. I tried to point out that the TdF was for men, and she protested that it wasn’t fair, girls should be allowed too. I tried to explain about the Grande Boucle, but she’d zipped off after Trish and also barely avoided the fish pond. Oh well, one of them might stick at it. Two minutes later, Trish came back hauling her bike–the front wheel was buckled and she had scratches on her leg and arm, and was holding back the tears very well. It looked like I had some wheel repairing to do, but first I gave her a hug and kissed her injuries better.

While I was trying to straighten the rim of the wheel, I heard a car pull into the driveway, a very quiet car. I peeped out and saw Henry alight from it. He spoke with Tom and walked into my workshop.

“How’s my favourite daughter-in-law?”

“Fine, thank you, Henry. And you?”

“I’m okay. Look, we have a small dilemma.”

“So are you here to see Simon?”

“No, it’s one that needs your assistance.”

“What’s happened; dormice in a hedgerow where you want to build?”

“A bit more international than that.”

“Oh, sounds intriguing.”

“I have the possibility of handling all the United Nations accounts in Europe.”

“So?”

“It appears they’re still looking to fill an ecology post.”

“So? I turned it down.”

“Apparently if I’m able to persuade the top candidate to accept the interview, they would look more favourably to engaging the bank for their routine currency transfers and other bread and butter stuff.”

“Not interested.”

“Cathy, this is worth several million to us, plus the kudos of serving the UN will open doors all over the world.”

“Tough–I’m not interested.”

“Cathy, I’m asking you to at least attend for interview.”

“What for, I don’t want the job–I have six children here who need me.”

“What if I could demonstrate that they’d cope with some extra help in the house, and that they’d want you to do it?”

“What if you can’t?”

“I’ll have to accept your refusal.”

“If they say no, then it’s definitely over?”

“Absolutely.”

“Okay–ask them.” Why did I wonder if I’d done the wrong thing?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Let's hear it

Three cheers and a "Yeah!" or "Yay" for the lady who is so addicted to writing our favorite soap opera, that she had to take the time out of her vacation trip and family visit to give us a new episode every day she was gone from home.

Yaaayyy!!

Hip hip!! Yes, I applaud the effort and dedication. And what's more even, I truly truly enjoy it immensely every day.

My days wouldn't be the same without EAFOAB, at present fondly referred to as The Daily Dormouse.

Giga thanks, Angharad.

Jo-Anne

Above and beyond

doesn't even begin to cover it.

'Bike' is as entertaining now as it was 1052 episodes ago.

Susie

Adding my Yay!

one of the best writers I know of and the dedication to her art is always inspiring to novices like me. I've never experienced the Archers but Bike's better than Coranation Street.

Bailey Summers

Mode Shift?

Certainly the opportunity is here to recast the story quite a bit. It might be fun. Cathy the queen bee of a domestic empire, with real hired help, as well as a busy professional with a very interesting and important job.

It might be a lot of fun, in fact. Just think of all the misadventure possibilities! Cathy, kidnapped by Somali pirates while trying to save the kangaroo rats of the Sahara...

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

First, I'll second the 3 cheers!

and Fourthly...

Anyway.

I think Henry has stuck a giant pair of gumboots(Nasty ones, fresh from the stable) in his mouth.

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1052

Thanks for giving us a look at Cathy's past and the ongoing battle to get her to head that committee. Maybe Henry wil get Jenny Bond to help out.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The United Nations thing...

...just doesn't want to go away, does it?

I have the feeling that Maureen might be destined to play a larger role, of the domestic variety.

This episode has everything we've come to know and love in EAFOAB: cycling, dormice (sort of), gender issues, family activities, and a cliffhanger.

Thanks A+B: along with others here, I'm still enjoying my daily fix.

Persistent Situations


Bike Archive

Well it certainly

sounds like Henry is confident of proving that Cathy could do the job, And it does seem that Cathy is just a little bit intrigued....So why is it that you just get the horrible feeling that it will all end in tears....And all because Henry wants too make more money for a bank that is rolling in the stuff....You have to ask yourself is it all worth it?

Kirri

Yep, for a handful of Silver

Henry is willing to throw over his daughter in law. I wish he could have been left for dead. sheesh.

Kim

Thank you Angharad, for

Thank you Angharad, for another enlightening chapter in "the Daily Dormouse" or EAFOAB. You keep us all 'biting our nails' waiting for your exceptional chapters and we are all the better for it. Not only do we get to be in and among your characters in the story, you 'sneak in' lots of interesting tidbits about biking, both for those who love to bike and those who are 'so so' and even for those who may have never even been on a bike or considered doing so. Please don't let Bonzi get too close to the keyboard, because it seems to always get Cathy et al, into some sort of fix. Hugs, Jan

I Agree!

Once upon a time I used a bicycle as my daily transportation. It saved money on gas (petrol in Britspeak), and I was amazed at what it did for my figure. However I was never tempted even for a moment to consider racing. It also took a LOT LONGER to get where I was going and had no trunk to fill with groceries. So the car won its way back into my life. Now I'm older and have mobility issues and there's no way I could go anywhere on my bike though I still have it (ever the optimist!).

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I agree with the previous writers about being thankful

for your dedication, or, is Bonzi ghost writing from home while you're gone?

And it is nice to see a few episodes without a major cliffhanger. I guess you could call Henry's visit a small cliffhanger, because Cathy may have put her foot in it, and be facing a major change in her life, and that of her family.

Oh, well, hopefully she can do most of it without too much travel, so she can still be there for the kids most of the time.

I doubt she will mind too much, not having to drive the girls to and from St Nicholas Convent school if she can spend most of their at home hours with them.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

*sighs*

I wonder, is someone trying to set Cathy up? An awful lot of pressure continues to be applied for her to take that position. What's going on, and why? Something like this happens, and I get VERY suspicious!

Sounds like a nice bike ride. I could use someone like Cathy around to encourage me to cycle more. (Though, where I'd squeeze it into my schedule, I dunno. I know, you have to MAKE time! *sighs*)

I think the Tlots Plickening.

Thanks,
Anne

Come on CATHY! DO IT !

As much as my own choice would be to stay home with the Children, wear covering clothing and not speak to strange men, Cathy obviously has the skills needed to do the job, and if it is relatively short term, I can not imagine it doing damage to them, especially if they get to do some of the travel with her. It sure beats the trauma of having them kidnapped and having dead Russians lying about mouldering on the floor, in the basement and in the attic.

Khaduuj

Hmmm is the deck stacked?

Knowing Henry, He already called Simon and set up help and getting everyone on board. Friend of Mine said NUMA was involved with the UN Eco Group as well. Oh this is so bad now I have to wait for the daily installment but it sure was fun getting here. Thank you for this wonderful story.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

When Cathy "kisses them better"

it's more than a psychological effect.

What's behind this UN post that someone would try to bribe Henry to get Cathy to consider it? Very strange.

Exercise

Can't think of a better exercise regime for a nascent TG Child than cycling. The child doesn't have to participate in violent contact, beat the living s--t out of contemporaries or socialise with undesirable elements. The only likelyhood of injuries is car or lorry crash, sadly only too real and very dangerous. No amount of training or experience can protect a cyclist totally from the idiots driving cars. (I'm noting the tips about hill-climbing by the way.)
Go for it Cathy, Billie/y can only benefit from the care and attention.

Just got back from Sparkle.
What a weekend!!! Recharged the old tired batteries and charged some batteries I never knew I had.
Best 3 days of my life!!! I spread the gospel about BC and the Bike 'super fiction'!
Still loving Bike.
Love and Hugs.

OXOXOX
Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

They can't take "No" for an answer...

Let's hope the children still say "No" this time around. Cathy is already ecology advisor to High Street Bank, working on the mammal survey, supposed to be making a harvest mouse film, looking after six children (half of whom are transgendered) and three adults. There's a lot more to running the household than domestic chores (which the children already help with) - what will it take to convince Henry, Dr. Gareth and the U.N. that Cathy's already busy enough, thank-you-very-much, without jetting off to New York to advise the U.N.?

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

while bicycling is healthy & good exercise,

me thinks a good self defence course, is something most transgender should learn. Might make a difference in not having a trip to hospital, besides learning dipline isnt a bad thing either (thinks of Trisha in particular)

OH yea, I love bycycling, tho I prefer the touring part than racing, and just plain enjoyment of getting about. I can do most of the basic repair stuff, but, after that, it's like my car. Let those professionals I trust to play with the detailed stuff.

I do understand Cathy's point of view, what she didnt point out, is alot of what she learned was of necessity more than want, I'm guessing, living on a shoe-string budget makes up more determined to learn things than if we could afford to let others do it.

The UN post. While I think Cathy would be good at it. I really RESENT how she's being blackmailed into it. AND I think Henry already has seen to it in how he set up Cathy, he thinks/knows it's a done deal.

I'm sitting here in anticiation of the EXPLOSION, when Cathy discovers, she's been decieved & setup once again.

Like I said,

It ain't over till it's over.

Cathy needs to set some major ground rules though. They want her, she doesn't want them. This gives her mondo power.

Maureen, are you doing anything

I think Henry only bets on sure things.
Hey, wasn't Cathy and Henry going to have friendly bike races?

Cefin