Something to Declare 19

Printer-friendly version
 A Fiddle]

Something
to
Declare


by Cyclist

 Violin Bow]

Chapter 21

Warning: this episode may contain traces of rugby

A small digression for those who are unfamiliar with the great game. Not “The Great Game”, that was something about international power politics around Victorian Injah, but the great game of Rugby, and Union, naturally.

A rugby team is divided into two bits. There are eight forwards (1-8), and seven backs (9-15). The forwards, known as the pack, contest scrums and other set pieces, and they link with the backs via the scrum half (9) and the fly half (10). So those of you from climes less blessá¨d than Wales can think of the fly half as a sort of quarterback, the main playmaker.

The front row of the scrum consists, left to right, of loosehead prop, hooker (I have already told you lot at the back), and tighthead prop, There are then two locks, generally the biggest men on the field, and a number 8. Imaginatively known as a “Number 8”. Hanging off each lock, with a shoulder under the buttocks of a prop, is a flanker. The soft parts of each prop are protected by the fact that they have a lock’s arm coming between their legs and holding onto the front waistband of their shorts. The locks’ heads are between the hips (polite word) of the front row; the Number 8 is in a similar position with the locks.

Two sets of forwards interlock the front rows’ heads and then everyone pushes. Two sets of eight very big men, averaging over 200 pounds apiece, all that pressure taken by the shoulders, backs and necks of the props…..

You should now have some idea of exactly how big a man Dave really is.

Classically, the scrum half feeds the ball in past his loosehead for the hooker to heel back into the scrum, emerging at the feet of the No 8, where the scrum half collects it and feeds it to the fly. As soon as the ball is out, people can leave the scrum. The blindside flanker is there to stop anyone coming down, well, the blind (narrow) side. Both flankers have a role winning ball under great heaps of struggling men, but the open side flanker has a special role of his very own.

He is there to terrify the opposition half backs, and if possible tackle them out of the game. Hence my nicknames, Psycho, and The Smiling Assassin. I was very, very fast, and if the number 9 was at all slow I would flatten him, and they knew it. Cue lots of dive-passes away from the base of the scrum, and fly halves presented with a rather fast-moving and difficult ball swiftly followed by me. The dream situation for any flanker, catching the fly half in possession.

It was an evenly-matched game, 13 all, and I had to prod Dave a couple of times to remind him that he was captain in a team game, and not involved in a personal duel with his opposite tighthead.

I was watching for little cracks in their defence, and I noticed that each time the full back had to catch a long kick, his wingers weren’t dropping back in support. I pointed this out to Dave and Darren, and we started to fire off some Garryowens.

The Garryowen, named after the rugby club in Ireland, is a tactic aimed at full backs in particular. The ball is kicked as high as it can be, the idea being that when the ball arrives like a bomb for the fullback so too do a number of opposition players. And so it transpired. As he yelled “Mark!!” for the first ball, I hit him just above hip level and smashed man and ball to the ground. I made a point of smiling at him as I got up and trotted back for the drop-out. He kicked a long one down the touchline but Long John got to it before it went dead and hoofed it back up, to be passed by the Brighton Express, Ed Loveridge, and he pressurised the fullback so much that he made a really poor kick infield. Darren gathered it, I dropped onside behind him, and up it went.

This was how I had earned my nickname. “Mark!”---wallop. He wasn’t up as quick this time, but his drop out was better, taken by one of their centres. Ade, our blindside, caught him in midfield and beautifully turned the player’s back to his own side and I ripped the ball off and span it out to Little John. He hit it up so high I expected ice, ran past me to put me on side, and this time the full back didn’t get up for nearly a minute. When he did, I smiled at him.

His kick this time was so bad it went straight up and the poor sod had to catch it himself. Needless to say, we met again and the ball bounced forwards towards us as I hit him. Ed picked it up one handed and ran round behind the posts. A simple kick, seven points and the end of the scoring.

The game was on for eighty minutes, plus copious injury time, but that was it in a rather large nutshell. We were clapped off the pitch by the losing Central Region team, then returned the favour, and I sneaked away to where the Woodruffs had secreted their car. Geoff looked dazed.

“Remind me never, ever to upset you, love”

What utter bliss it was to get out of the body protector and then---oh joy–the strapping. Fly free, little breasts! I stood and soaked in the shower until I felt a presence. I really, really didn’t want this…I had no knickers on, being in the shower, and it was not something that felt comfortable to me around Geoff. He could obviously feel my tension as he soaped my back, and stepped out for a second to throw my cycle shorts in. I hauled them on, and whilst they made no real difference, I at least felt that I could face him.

It’s very nice having a man wash your back. It’s even nicer when they do your front as well. Would you all mind going away for a little bit?

Geoff joined Bill to get all suited and booted while Kell and Jan fussed around me. I have no idea what it was they were doing to me, but I ended up with my hair sort of piled up on top of my head, with tendrils of it coming down around my face. Jan had had a number of disagreements with Kelly, who seemed to want to use what can only be termed a “broad and very, very full brush” approach to the make up, and I was rather relieved when Jan won the day. It would have been nice if they had actually spoken TO me rather than OVER ME, but never mind. Eventually, I was done; powdered, perfumed, painted, and they revealed me to myself in a wardrobe mirror, and, well, oh.

Ooh. Ah. Oh god, just keep thinking “not waterproof”

The effect was slightly spoilt by the stud mark on my left cheek, though. The girls were not going to my extremes of gown and general primping, and when the taxi arrived we were all, rather amazingly, on time.

My cunning plan was to stay out of sight until the awards were given and we were called for our winners’ medals, so while Jan and Bill secured their table, Kelly and Geoff waited with me at the bar by the disco. And the speeches started….and continued…and carried on for some more. It was the Director Central, and he did seem to love his own voice. Eventually, though, he wound down and Dave stepped up, in blazer, tie and black eye, to be presented with the Inter Region Shield.

The Director drew breath again.

“Now, before we present the finalists with their medals we have the Match Officials’ choice of Man of the Match. This is what they had to say on the matter:

“We had a number of players in mind for this award. We were particularly impressed by the competition between the visitors’ loosehead and the home tighthead. They had a magnificent personal contest, but neither allowed their personal duel to overshadow their responsibilities to the team as a whole.

“The kicking from hand by both sets of half backs was exemplary, but it was the result of that kicking that allowed the visitors’ openside flanker to demonstrate his extremely destructive tackling ability. Elsewhere, his ground work at the tackle was excellent, but it is a not often that we have seen any player taken out of a game as comprehensively yet fully in compliance with the laws of the game”

The Director put down his piece of paper and picked up a small cup.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for the Man of the Match, South’s Number 7, Miss Stephanie Jones”

WHAT THE HELL?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked into the hall in a daze, Geoff on my arm, Kelly slipping off to her parents. All I could hear was the click of my heels ,and then there were a few mutters of “Fuck me!” one of which came from the opposition full back. I stopped, and looked at him and gave him The Smile.

“I rather think I did…..”

There was a roar of laughter, and my team stood and applauded, quickly followed by the losers. I got up on stage, the Director shook my hand and very quietly said

“Vanessa thought she’d get her own back, and that you would understand”

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love it!

littlerocksilver's picture

It's nice that she has been able to retain some of her strength and speed. I hope the full back can retain some of his sense of humour. It wasn't his fault so much that his team mates let him down.

Portia

Portia

I never realised ...

... that rugby was so complicated. Mind you it's over 55 years since I was forced to play hooker at school (you know the poor sod in the middle of the scrum) and the subtleties were never explained to we duffers in the 4th game :) I had a suspicion that Steph was going to be awarded 'man' of the match and so was not disappointed. Not surprising as I haven't been disappointed by any of this story.

Oh, and well done Vanessa :)

Robi

Rugby

I was playing a game against a Marine College,and their number 9 was very good and very, very cocky, loving to taunt, as scrum halves do. It was a very windy day, and he received a kick just in front of his try line. He actually stood and smiled as I ran at him, then kicked it over my head.
A very, very windy day, and it came straight back at him. He had no choice but to catch it again. Just as I hit him...followed by our right winger, who collected and scored. Tee hee, memories...

It's true, then

Football is a gentlemen's game played by ruffians, whereas rugby is a ruffians' game played by gentlemen.

And is it also true that rugby is like American Football, but without the Kevlar and commercial breaks?

You lost me after the first line of the description of rugby but, then again, I was never any good at team sports anyway. Something to do with being blind as a bat, perhaps?

Susie

Football is -

Football is Soccer!
Rugby Union is the original game played by private schools.
Rugby League is a revised version of RU played by public schools.
Australian Rules is the best of the last 3.
American Football is (who knows)?

Obviously I'm biased!

But I'm sure someone, somewhere will agree/disagree?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Confusion

Just to add to said confusion, In England "Public schools" are "private schools".....

Well you learn something every day!

Thanks for that, I could have died and not known!
In OZ schooling is the haves and have nots, although some State public schools here do very well in Academic, Arts and Sporting achievements.

I really like your work, the music and the songs add that finesse to your stories with the opposite touch of the TG love story, hard hitting Rugby and the reality of customs violence exposed.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Thanks

Doing my best

Loving this one!!!

Wow! This is one of the best chapters of one of the best stories on BC. (Well that's my opinion for what it's worth!)

Ride on Steph!

I am really loving this bit.

Love and Hugs,

Beverly!

bev_1.jpg

Something to Declare 19

She sure can put a whallop on a guy!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Question answered

KevSkegRed's picture

Well that answered the question I typed about 20 minutes ago on the last chapter lol. I wish I'd just carried on reading now, I didn't realise the match was so soon.

Still loving the story.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Wow! Rugby is a hard game.

All I can say is that Rugby is a game that makes American Rules Football look closer to a picnic on the playing field. Sure you have injuries & concussions with American Rules Football, but there's padding and helmets to help protect you. Not so with Rugby. My niece has played rugby, on both USA coasts (east & west), so, yes, women do play it. Judging by the fact that when she *practiced* with a team on the west coast (San Francisco, or nearby) she broke an arm, I think the punishment the players take is proportionally equal male vs. female.

Thank you, Cyclist, for a good rough idea of what rugby is & how it's played. I hope you keep up the good work on the rest of this and your other writings as well- you're good at it.

KR

Pleased

That I managed to get across some of the feel of the game. Always a balancing act with technical stuff.

I Had Written

joannebarbarella's picture

A superb comment (oh...modesty) on the various codes with ovoid balls and then I got caught by the daily BC downtime when I tried to post it, so you're just going to have to put up with the fact that I commented, 'cos I can't be bothered to do it all again,

Joanne

Oh, Joanne, you're SOOO infuriating…

You can't leave us all on tenterhooks, clinging on by our beautifully manicured fingernails. You can't leave us with a cliffhanging comment.

Puleeease try again.

Hugs
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Yes indeed!

Get typing,or I'll send a Samoan round!

Oh! All Right Then

joannebarbarella's picture

Rita had put out a sort of challenge, and even though I thought it would be a bit futile, seeing as how she did that weeks ago and here I am coming along way out of sync....never being one to pass up a chance at a shot of free publicity (or notoriety)....I decided to answer her.

The problem is that, like I said, I did this brilliant exposition and then when I got caught in the posting grinder it derailed my train of thought.

So....as best as I can remember (and don't crucify me if it doesn't come out as good the second time round) here it is.

Union is the game played in silvertail schools and against the All Blacks. Those schools are known as "Private" in Oz and "Public" in the UK. What that means is that you pay for your kids to go to them. However, in Oz, Union is basically only played in New South Wales and Queensland, so the total population pool available totals only about 8-9 million and, in reality, perhaps at most 20% of that. So Union is really a minority sport in Australia, which doesn't mean it has no public support. A Welsh friend of mine reminds me ad nauseam that Union doesn't have Rules, it has Laws.

Aussies would barrack fiercely for tiddly-winks if it was an international competition and particularly if there were Kiwis or Poms on the other side.

Unfortunately at the moment our star is not at its zenith but wheels turn.

Rugby League is the game played by Ockers (yobs) (again in NSW and Qld) and is the main professional game, with a league that spans the Tasman. Steve would love what is called State of Origin, a series of three games each season in which the players have to represent the state in which they were born...either NSW or Queensland. These games are the most fiercely contested, brutal games you will ever see, no quarter given or asked. Players who are team-mates for the rest of the season do their best to maim each other and the injury list is fearsome. Needless to say, the gates and TV ratings are astronomical.

Australian Rules (or some say No Rules) is the fastest and most spectacular of the codes played with ovoid balls. It is actually an adaptation of Gaelic football, which uses a round ball. It centres around Victoria but is now played in all states, so it is the closest thing we have to a national game. Mind you, the Victorians hate it when an out-of-state team wins the Grand Final, as the Brisbane Lions did three years on the trot a few years ago. The rest of us hate Collingwood.

The Grand Final is always played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and attracts a crowd of 90,000+ regardless of who is playing.

Round-ball football, or soccer, is gaining in popularity, but its base lies amongst the more recent immigrants, Italians, Greeks, Macedonians. Serbs, Croats, et al. There are occasionally spectacular riots after some inter-ethnic games. Forty years ago I used to play for a team called Milano (Saturday afternoon amateur, so you don't get any funny ideas about how good I was). That says it all.

And then there's cricket, but we won't talk about that here,

Joanne

And I thought American Football was

I didn't realize just how pervasive that sort of silliness is in the human race, I guess. And I thought American Football and their fans were out of their minds!! The players have a surfeit of testosterone and have been in so many games their supposedly larger brain cells have been damaged. They have never had much in the way of judgement, anyway. "Fans" always chant "We won" though not a single one of them made an appearance on the field of battle, however, when the team loses, it is "They lost". Sounds like Rugby is similar. I admit there are some fans who are so emotionally invested in their favorite teams that they slip into depression when those teams don't succeed. So, not all of them are fair weather fans, just lacking in judgement and being able to separate themselves from their emotional involvement in "their" teams by understanding the loss is not a product of themselves. Gee, maybe the fair weather fans are more healthy than the die hards.

Crime statistics have shown that the winning football fans are more prone to violence for a time, particularly when fueled with celebratory drinkiepoos. Property damage and damage against persons, assults, rapes, etc. all go up for a time after the testosterone fueled event. Even with all the "protective" padding and such that the Americans have, major injury and even death occurs among the teams, and a recent ruling among the teams is outlawing excessive heavy "hitting" in blocking an opponent or tackling.

But hey, it makes gamblers, team owners and investors, and advertisers money, just like JaiLai did and does, and boxing. That is, of course, the "American Way". Make money off the backs of others. Do rugby people have similar money making motives in Oz and elsewhere that Rugby is played?

Break a leg, or neck, or whatever.

CaroL

CaroL

The game

We lost today, to South Africa, for the third time in a row. Granted that they are the world champions,and that all three losses have been by a tiny score, we lost. England destroyed Australia, on the other hand.
For Carol's benefit, Union (rugby) was always an amateur sport, only recently going pro. There is a lot of money to be made from it, but there is a major difference between football (both sorts) and rugby, in that historically in rugby countries fans were usually players. Typically, on an international weekend like today, I would play a club game in the morning/lunchtime and then watch the big game in the club bar. Rugby union in Wales was a little different, and I played in a team full of miners and fishermen, but in England, to a great extent, it was the moneyed classes who played it at school.

What that means is that there is much more involvement in the game with rugby. When I watch a scrum, I am watching for small details that a non-player would miss, so where a football fan will shout in reflex at a ref's decision against his team, I will shout at one I disagree with, but when I see a stupid act by one of 'my' players I shout at him. Rugby-playing fans want to see all aspects of the game; non-playing fans want pretty running.

As a consequence of this nvolvement, there is very little interfan stupidity. People meet, banter, sing and celebrate together, whichever side they support. For all the new money, rugby remains a game for the players, and is followed by other players, who see no reason to take anything off the field. No rapes, no violence, just a lot of bad singing.

When Italy joined the Six Nations,the police in Rome prepared for riots, as football would have produced. They were astonished to see fans mingling happily before and after the game. In fact, it is a traditon for many clubs to play a match against a local club before an international. A French club, for eample, visits Wales,plays a local club, then both GO on to the international together, or watch it on a big screen. Together..

Crowd Behaviour

joannebarbarella's picture

I have to endorse Cyclist's observations. Rugby Union fans are incredibly well behaved. A couple of examples.

The Brits have always been very good at mobilising their fans for overseas tours, The Red Tide for rugby and the Barmy Army for cricket are an entertainment on their own when the teams are in Australia. When THAT World Cup was on England beat Australia in Brisbane in one of the preliminary matches at a ground in Woolloongabba (The Gabba) a Brisbane suburb,and the stadium is five minutes walk from my home. There are about four local pubs and the Red Tide and the disappointed Aussie fans poured into them to celebrate or drown their sorrows (and later poured out). The pubs ran out of beer and emergency transport was dispatched to other pubs to replenish stocks and slake thirsts yet unslaked. As fans spilled onto the roads the police diverted traffic and it became nearly impossible to walk around outside the taverns due to the carpet of empty beer cans.

At about one in the morning the cops called a halt to celebrations and the crowd dispersed. There was not one fight nor a single arrest.

Another event that stays in my mind is an earlier World Cup game between France and New Zealand in England. When France suddenly got it together 50000 Englishmen cheered themselves hoarse barracking for the French against New Zealand. Can you imagine that? I think everyone had expected to see the Kiwis wipe the floor with them and the French put on this exhibition of brilliance and got cheered by a traditional enemy.

Another thing that sticks in my mind about that game is how most of the Kiwi team were so put out that they wouldn't shake hands with their opponents after the game. The one man who was big enough to do so was Joshua Lomu (a big man in all senses of the word) who stood at the dressing room entrance and shook hands with each French player, a true gentleman in defeat and an embodiment of the spirit of Rugby Union,

Joanne

Kick in the tail

Podracer's picture

Love it. The humour and sportsmanship at the dinner reflect upon the sport as a whole then?
I know an England fan who banters and exchanges match moments with his French friend, and get the whole "support your neighbour's team".

Sports at my school seemed odd to me, fine and enthusiastic (though too few) staff, but I was expected often to already understand a game and its mechanics without being shown the basics. House cricket team on the strength of catching a physics exercise book in class (Mr. C handed them back out ballistically) I hadn't a clue how to bat, bowl or catch when I took the field. I do recall being on a rugby pitch, and elected hooker on general build, managed to last the game without catching the ball.
Nope, I don't get the sports, but do see the passion.

"Reach for the sun."