Sarah Carerra - 2.04 - Song and Sand

Printer-friendly version
sc2.jpg I'd had two songs running around in my head since the concert - two songs that I wanted to write down on paper. It had been a while since I had written a song, but I needed to get these out of my head soon.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 2.04 - Song and Sand
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2010 Megan Campbell
Released: August 23, 2010

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from Istockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 2: Summer Medley

Chapter 2.04 - Song and Sand

Uncle Kevin and his family were gone when we arrived home after seeing Mary. I assumed that they had already headed down to the beach, and Mom said she'd drive me down after lunch to catch up with them. In the meantime, I had something very important that I wanted to do.

I stepped into Sarah's room. Normally, I would have locked the door behind me, but with our relatives gone, I left the door closed but unlocked so that my mom could come and get me when lunch was ready.

I'd had two songs running around in my head since the concert - two songs that I wanted to write down on paper. It had been a while since I had written a song, but I needed to get these out of my head soon. I'd dabbled with one in my free time over the last week, but today I decided to settle down and work on the one I had been avoiding.

I opened my guitar case and pulled out the black guitar that we had purchased a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't had it for long, but I was in love with my new guitar. It was the perfect instrument, at least in my mind.

I took the guitar, picked up the notebook and pencil sitting next to the case, and stepped over to the couch. I sat down and placed the guitar on my knee, and then I flipped through the notebook to a blank page to write down the new song. The few pages with writing were filled with half songs that still needed work, including the other one I had also dabbled with over the last week. That song was about my new, crazy life, and just how amazing it had become. I couldn't wait to finish it.

But today I was focused on something else. My session with Mary and my parents this morning had led us to Josh on many occasions, and this song was all about him. It didn't mention him by name, but I felt that it would be a powerful song once I had finished it.

I started by plucking at the strings of my guitar, trying to find the song that was in my head and to bring it into reality. It took me a few minutes, but the melody started to flow out of me just as easily as it flowed through my mind. After another half an hour, and a lot of erasing in the notebook, I started to write the lyrics.

Many of them were already finalized in my mind, and I decided to try singing it before writing down a single word.

I started playing the tune once more. This time through, I started to sing where I knew the words belonged. I didn't know all of them, but the ones that I did know fit perfectly into the song. Once I had sung through the whole thing, I started frantically writing the words down in the notebook. As I did, more words came to mind, and I had to hear how they sounded in the song.

I went back and forth like this for another 45 minutes, until finally I felt that the full song was on paper. This was the quickest I had ever written a song, and I couldn't believe how well it had come together!

For one last time before lunch, I started to sing the song again. This time I tried to put my heart into it, to see how it would sound when I really performed it.

I couldn't believe that I had written a love song about Josh! I didn't think I was even going to be able to win him back anymore. But it was definitely a powerful song. As I sang, I could see his face in front of me, and it made the whole song worthwhile. I needed to call him, to try and do something to get him back.

When I finished playing, I sighed.

"That was amazing!" someone said from nearby. I yelped, I jumped, and I nearly dropped my precious guitar.

"Maddie!" I screamed at the voice. "What are you doing here?" They were supposed to be at the beach, but she wasn't even wearing a bathing suit!

"I'm sorry," she said, looking guilty at either coming into the locked room, or scaring me; I wasn't sure which. "I didn't know that you could sing like that! You were amazing!"

"It was nothing," I replied, and tried to shrug it off. I didn't want her to get close to my music career.

"No it wasn’t. It was a lot more than that," she said with a sly grin. "You don't write songs like that for nothing. Who was it about?"

"Nobody," I said immediately. The last thing I needed to do was start to talk about Josh. That would lead to the secret quickly. "It's just a song."

"Not when you sigh at the end like that," she continued, and the sly grin hadn't left her face. She looked around the room for the first time. "It's about Josh Holliday, isn't it?"

I was speechless for a second. How did she know? There was absolutely no reason why she would know who this song was about. As far as she was concerned, I didn't even know Josh Holliday.

"No!" I emphatically answered. She didn't seem to buy it though, her grin slid into a smirk at my answer. "I don't even know Josh Holliday."

"You know, I've been watching Sarah Carerra for a while now," Madison said, making me jump at her use of my alternate name. "I've been reading about her in magazines. I bought her single. I watched her concert last Sunday. And you know what? She had the same look on her face as you just did when she sang 'Open Your Eyes'. I'm just guessing, but you have it bad for him."

"I don't even know him!" I reiterated.

"Megan, don't lie to me, please," she said, taking a seat on the couch next to where I had been working. "I just learned that my favorite cousin is Sarah Carerra! I want to enjoy this moment!"

"I'm not Sarah Carerra!" I blurted out without even thinking. But the look on Madison's face told me that she didn't buy that statement for a minute. She knew, somehow she knew! I sighed and slumped back down onto the couch next to her.

"How did you find out?" I asked. The least I could do was try to not let the same thing happen in the future.

"Well, I knew something was up when you came home yesterday," she said. "I mean, you were wearing some wicked awesome clothes. But I didn't start to get suspicious until I saw Sarah on 'The Tonight Show' in the same clothes you had been wearing.

"I wasn't certain until I stepped into this room, though." She looked around again. I looked with her. The posters on the walls of Sarah, signed by me, were a pretty good indication of whose room this was. The other decorations that Mom and I had added after Dad had converted the room from a spare bedroom had only made it more obvious.

"That song sounded amazing, and when I heard it while passing by in the hall, I had to see who was singing," she continued. "I didn't expect it to be you. How could you keep this from me?"

"I'm sorry, Maddie," I told her. "This secret is very important to my life. If people find out who I am, I won't have a normal life anymore. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't think it was time."

"So you're doing the whole Hannah Montana thing?" she asked. There didn't seem to be any animosity in her question. Perhaps she wasn't really mad at me for not telling her.

"Yeah," I replied. "My therapist suggested it. She wanted me to have a regular life as a girl too. This was before we found out that I really am a girl. She wanted me to experience life as a female before I decided which way I was going to live."

Madison thoughtfully pondered this information. Then that sly grin appeared again.

"So, was it about Josh?" she asked again.

I laughed. I wasn't going to get out of this without telling her.

*  *  *

"Lunch is ready," Mom interrupted us a while later. This time we were in my room, where we were getting ready to go to the beach. Apparently, they had run some errands earlier and hadn't planned on heading down until after lunch.

"Okay," I told her from my dresser. I had just pulled out my only bathing suit, a black bikini. "Be right there."

"You can wear a bikini?" Madison asked me with wide eyes. Even though she seemed to have accepted me as a girl, it was apparent that she still didn't understand how far that statement already reached.

"Yeah," I told her with a sly grin of my own. I knew I could pass completely in the bikini. I'd worn it to the beach once since Mom had insisted on buying it for me. She would be totally surprised when she saw me wearing it.

"Put it on!" she said excitedly.

"After lunch," I replied, knowing that it would torture her. She just groaned.

*  *  *

"Would you just take it off already?" Madison screamed at me. We had just placed our towels down on the sand, and she wanted me to take off the summer dress that was covering my bikini. I'd managed to lock myself in Sarah's room after lunch where she couldn't see me change, and she was practically dying to see what I looked like in the bikini.

I laughed, but started pulling the dress over my head. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw James and Aunt Olivia stop to watch too.

For the second time in a row, I heard an audible gasp when I uncovered my bikini-clad form. Ethan had gasped last time I came to the beach. Today it was James' turn. I didn't like the way he was staring at me now that my curves were on display.

"I guess you really are a girl!" Madison exclaimed from beside me. I just grinned at her.

The rest of the afternoon was spent much the same way that we spent nearly every afternoon when we came to the beach. We rode the waves and sat in the sun. As evening was approaching, we even ventured out on the pier and rode some of the rides. I hadn't been out on the pier in ages, and it was nice to take a break from just sitting on the sand.

It felt just like old times.

*  *  *

A short while later we were on our way back home. Mom and Aunt Olivia had left early to get dinner ready, so Austin, Dad, and I had filed into Uncle Kevin's van with his family for the 15 minute drive back home.

Madison slid in beside me. "Music please," she called from where we were sitting on the back seat. I heard James grimace, but Uncle Kevin turned on the radio anyway. He then switched around the stations until he found one that was playing music. I grinned inwardly when I recognized it as my favorite station.

I had gotten Madison to promise to not tell anyone else in her family about Sarah, and we had to resort to talking about other things for a while. But when the intro started, I was only a second faster than Madison in recognizing my song coming from the van's speakers. She sat up immediately and turned toward the front.

"Turn it up!" she yelled. James groaned again. He apparently recognized the music too, but had a different reaction.

"Please don't," James added his own opinion on what the settings for the radio should be. "I can't stand Sarah Carerra."

I felt a stab of pain that my own cousin would say that.

"What?" I found myself saying before I even realized it. "Why?"

James turned around and looked at us. He looked almost betrayed that I would take Maddie's side in this argument. Little did he know...

"Because she's only been on the music scene for two weeks, and she's already got a number one hit. She should have to work for it," he said. "Besides, this song isn't anything fancy. She should do something original."

I just stared at him. I had never heard anyone tell me that they didn't like Sarah Carerra or her music. Hearing it from my cousin was not something that I had expected.

"How can you say that with Megan sitting right here?" Madison asked him, clearly distressed by his words. I winced. She knew my secret but James didn't! However, she was referring to me like he did.

"What do you mean?" James asked, confused.

Madison realized then what she had said, but I feared that it was already too late.

"Nothing," Maddie replied, but I knew that James would not accept that answer. When James realized that Maddie wasn't going to respond, he turned toward me. He didn't ask anything, he just lifted his eyebrows. I grimaced.

"Are you going to tell them?" Austin asked from where he was sitting next to Logan. He probably thought he was trying to help, but all he did was confirm that there was something the others didn't know.

I turned back to James, who was still looking at me. In fact, everyone in the car was looking at me now. I could even see Uncle Kevin glancing at me in the rear-view mirror as he drove. I didn't know what to do, and glanced up at my dad, who smiled slightly at me before nodding his head slowly.

I sighed. I hadn't wanted to tell them, but I knew I could not keep it a secret anymore. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and listened to the music. Once I knew where the song was, I started singing along. When I opened my eyes again, everyone was still staring at me. I continued to sing until the song came to an end.

There was silence in the van for a moment. Nobody knew what to say.

"Are you kidding me?" James finally blurted out. "You're Sarah Carerra?"

I stared intently at him. How could Madison do this to me? She had promised not to tell anyone, and now three more people knew my secret! Even if they were family, they were liabilities that could now leak that secret to the public. I hoped they could be entrusted with it. My life as I knew it would be over if they couldn’t.

"Yes," I replied softly but clearly. "I am."

*  *  *

When we walked into the front door of my house a short time later we were greeted by the wonderful smell of a homemade dinner. Mom was an excellent cook, and with the help of Aunt Olivia I figured we were in for a good meal. But there were other things on my mind that distressed me.

"Alright, we're home," James said to me. "Prove it."

Despite his initial reaction, he didn't believe that I was Sarah Carerra. Even Dad's confirmation wasn't enough for him. But there was an easy way to confirm it.

"Follow me," I said while stepping toward the hallway. As we passed the kitchen, I looked in to see Mom and Aunt Olivia who were hard at work. I grinned slightly at them and continued walking past. Madison had other ideas.

"Mom!" she said excitedly. "You gotta come see this!"

"What is it?" I heard Aunt Olivia ask in a slightly concerned tone. My own mother looked up too.

"Just come see!" Maddie continued, urging her mother to follow us. I knew my own mother would be right behind her.

I continued walking down the hall until I reached the door to Sarah's room. I turned back to everybody in the hallway, noticing the curious looks that most of them were giving me. They knew the truth now, and despite any negative emotions that brought to me, I was always happy to share this side of my life with those I loved. I turned the knob and took a step inside, allowing the others to follow me in.

"Welcome to Sarah's room," I told them. I could see James' eyes open wide when he saw some of the decorations around the room. The posters could have been purchased by anyone, but every single one of them was signed by Sarah Carerra. Some of the other pictures were harder to obtain. There was a picture of Josh and me on the red carpet, a few other promotional photos that hadn't been turned into posters, and a framed photo of Sarah Carerra with a young girl in what appeared to be an airport terminal.

But it still wasn't enough for James.

"Nice room," he said. "But it still doesn't prove that you are Sarah Carerra."

I smirked. I had a feeling he'd want more. While everyone had been looking around, I had stepped over to the one thing that would prove it to him without a doubt.

I turned toward the locked armoire and punched in the access code on a small keypad, unlocking it before pulling open both doors.

"What about these?" I asked him, pointing to the many wigs that were sitting atop foam heads inside. I stepped back from the armoire and started gathering my hair on top of my head, reaching for a few pins when I was done. My family continued to watch as I pinned my hair before turning back toward the wigs. I picked up the one I had used for both of my performances, and slowly placed it on my head before turning back to James.

"It's nice to meet you, James Campbell. My name is Sarah Carerra." I held my hand out as if we were meeting for the first time, and I watched his eyes widen once again, before his gaze turned crestfallen. Then I realized too late why he refused to believe me. He refused to believe me because he, like Ethan, had a crush on Sarah Carerra. He didn't hate her at all!

I sighed once again. This certainly wasn't the reaction I was hoping for.

"I'm sorry, James," I told him, dropping my hand in the process. "I didn't know."

He nodded, but nothing escaped his pursed lips. I had just crushed the dreams of another young man who had fantasies about meeting Sarah Carerra.

I quickly took the wig off and replaced it in the armoire. The magic of Sarah Carerra was lost to me for the moment, and I didn't want to be wearing it.

"Can...Can I have your autograph?" James asked a moment later. I smiled as I pulled the pins from my hair. At least I hadn't alienated him completely.

*  *  *

Chapter 2.05 - Wake Up!
Coming Soon...
up
353 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sarah Carerra - 2.04 - Song and Sand

I knew that seing Megan and Sarah in the same clothes would backfire on her. Can't help but think that Megan and her dad forgot to have a change of clothes ready on purpose.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Everything to this point would belie your speculation

Andrea Lena's picture

...the way this story has played out from the beginning, Megan's Dad has been highly protective of her career, and has insisted that her two personae (at one time three personae) be completely separate for the privacy of their family. And Megan is scheduled for surgery soon; any revelation of her dual identity would not only put her career at risk, but would be so intrusive as to cause a lot of roadblocks to her transition. More likely it was an oversight; with the urgency to do everything quickly and secretively there comes the risk of not being able to keep up the pretense.


She was born for all the wrong reasons
but grew up for all the right ones
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Not likely...

I don't think that they tried to do it on purpose either. The majority of the time Sarah's outfits are layered in a way that she can take off the 'Glam' to hide in plain sight. But the whole outfit she wore to the 'Tonight Show' fell under that description.

I'd reckon that it was closer to poor foresight and bad planning than anything else. But so far it seems to have worked out okay...

Megan

So there are 3 that have the same problem

James and Ethan Crushing on Sarah and Sarah/Megan Crushing on Josh who likes Megan but she cant tell him the secret I'm just guessing, but you have it bad for him."

2 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 8 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

re: story

wonderful as usual. brightens my monday mornings. looking forward to more.
robert

001.JPG

I need to reread this whole series.

That was a great chapter! I hope that Megan eventually ends the split and just becomes herself. I think it's inevitable that events will happen to destroy the secret. This chapter is a good example of that. Besides, there are other benefits-Josh, for example.
Looking forward to more. In the meantime, I'm going to reread the series.

Wren

Ouch!

Renee_Heart2's picture

I hate that Megan had to chush another young boy's dreams even if it was her cousin it still hurts,& that she had to reveal her secreat to others even if they were family potential complications have just exlated. I look foward t reading more.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Tough!

Megan or Sarah/Megan can not take or be held responsible for every barely pubescent boy's fantasy so really, stop trying to lay a guilt trip on her. The truth or a version of it was not going to be any kinder to them than this was. They, nor any of the other countless young boys were ever going to have their fantasies fulfilled. Sarah Carrera is an image and a voice, nothing more. It's fun to play what/if, but in the morning when they wake up, reality will be beckoning.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Megan

Thank you for sharing with all the wierdos in my head .... Your work is wonderfull and much apperated( SiC) we love your work ..
Oh good and talented author... Another fine chapter ..Peace be with you and yours... Love Rone Welles.. xoxoxoxoxoxo

And so the secret spreads...

It'll be interesting to see how they play it if that side of the family decide to attend her next concert / TV interview. The easiest method would be 'guests of dad', but could they feign not knowing Sarah if they meet in public?

Pretty soon, the only person close to Megan and Sarah but not knowing the secret will be Josh. Poor guy. But unfortunately, as he's in the limelight, if he knew and accidentally made a slip-up, that would be the end of the secret identity and 'normal' life. Much as it will be difficult for her, it's best to treat Josh purely as a public boyfriend - i.e. only together in public or with responsible chaperones. Of course, although it will make life more complicated, she could still have a private boyfriend - i.e. Megan-mode only...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

As always....

another great episode and one of the few reasons Mondays are no so bad.

I had little hope that Sarah would be able to maintain her secret from Maddie and family. I just hope she can keep her secret from from general populace.

Can't wait until next Monday or even tomorrow if you were feeling creative and really wanted to get another episode out. :)

Luv and hugs,

Connie

I wish...

I wish I could write fast enough to post more often. But sadly, it takes me too long to get a chapter done.

I have days where I can sit down and write two or more chapters, and other times it will take me a week or longer to get one chapter done. As it stands now, I'm still worried that I won't be able to write fast enough to keep from interrupting the weekly posting cycle before book 2 is finished. My editor is working on chapters 11-15, and I'm almost done writing 16. But it still seems to seep out too slowly for my tastes.

If I could only find some way to quit my job and drop out of school while still keeping my finances happy, I'd probably be able to post faster. Sadly, that doesn't seem like a very likely possibility. :P

But the good news is that there is plenty more story to tell.

Megan

My plan is winning Lotto

It isn't working out too well so far but I'll keep trying.

I'm really impressed on how far ahead you are. Once upon a time I was but some serious writer's block knocked that lead out and I'm now only barely keeping ahead of the game.

So, writing 16 now. Hmmmm. :) Can't wait, can't wait, but of course I will.

Love hearing that there's plenty more of this story to come.

Luv,

Connie

" Because she's only been on

" Because she's only been on the music scene for two weeks, and she's already got a number one hit. She should have to work for it," he said. "Besides, this song isn't anything fancy. She should do something original."

I just stared at him. I had never heard anyone tell me that they didn't like Sarah Carerra or her music. Hearing it from my cousin was not something that I had expected.

"How can you say that with Megan sitting right here?" Madison asked him, clearly distressed by his words. I winced. She knew my secret but James didn't! However, she was referring to me like he did.

"What do you mean?" James asked, confused.

Madison realized then what she had said, but I feared that it was already too late.

"Nothing," Maddie replied, but I knew that James would not accept that answer. When James realized that Maddie wasn't going to respond, he turned toward me. He didn't ask anything, he just lifted his eyebrows. I grimaced.

"Are you going to tell them?" Austin asked from where he was sitting next to Logan. He probably thought he was trying to help, but all he did was confirm that there was something the others didn't know. "

[alt answer].."my Dad has worked hard with her for months before she debuted. And I've heard her sing, she's a nice person with real voice. Besides I'm the Local Sarah Carerra Fan Club President - I even have copies for myself of some of her unreleased material, that she gave me personally. Dad even had that spare bedroom I'm using [giving up a minor secret instead] fixed up for her when she is here, with some of her spare costumes and clothing available since she is our age and shouldn't stay in some motel while practicing here. [end alt answer]
after this point if Madison and Austin don't play along or shut up - hit them in the head with a Clue, a Large heavy Clue.

It seems

She is going to leave a bevy of love sick boys wherever she goes.