The Green Fog~Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version

Because of the urgency and the fact that I didn’t want to change my mind, I asked for things to be sorted out straight away…

Angel

 


Final Chapter

Previously…

‘We want you to go out and seek the fog and then get a sample of it somehow, so that we can analyse it and then find a cure or some way of destroying it. We would have used space suits, but they were due to arrive from our American colleagues the week after all this happened, so we have no reliable means of keeping a human protected and the fog at bay. Anyway, it is possible the fog can attack in other ways other than respiratory means and we can't take chances that someone exposed to the fog, will not be overcome. We just don't know enough about it. What we do know is that you have survived and function while others haven't so it is to you we have to turn to. Will you do it?'

I could hear the gasps coming from all my friends and the protests from Jeanie in particular, but I was looking at my Daddy. He was close to tears. In fact Mummy was crying. What he had asked me to do was to go out and, possibly, die.

Should I do it? Could I do it?

My hands felt moist and my heart was going mad. I was scared, more scared for some reason than that time someone took a pot shot at us at that big house.

Then, in my mind’s eye I saw the wee baby in her pram, dead before she’d had any real chance to live. Then I thought of Nicola, so scared and yet so very brave, looking at me now; her eyes seemingly, almost as big as saucers. Then there was Arthur; would he ever have the chance to grow up and marry a pretty girl so they could have children?

I looked round all the faces–the faces of my friends who were now part of my family. Could I let them down?

I took a deep breath and in a trembling voice, gave him my answer.

‘What do I have to do, Colonel?’

And now the story concludes…

Encounter With The Fog

Because of the urgency and the fact that I didn’t want to change my mind, I asked for things to be sorted out straight away. It would take a few days to get everything ready to everyone’s satisfaction and I spent a lot of that time discussing with the profs, scientists and others just what we knew about the fog. In the end it transpired that very little was known about it and as I had lived through it, I was regarded as–kind of– an expert.

We didn’t have much in the way of equipment, and so were somewhat hampered in what I would be able to take with me on my wee jaunt.

In the end, I would take a take a towel, a syringe full of adrenalin to give me a boost and an empty jam jar with a lid to catch the green fog. Not is exactly state of the art equipment but that was all I could use.

We had considered oxygen and a tank and just sitting outside and waiting for the fog to come, but the fog liked movement for some reason and I couldn’t move about lugging a flaming great oxygen cylinder with me.

I tried not to think of the danger. It would have put me in a blue funk. I was getting lots of hugs, kisses and other signs of affection from Mummy and Daddy. I know that they felt so guilty about what was being asked of me and I understood how they felt. But it was my decision and nobody forced me.

Oh, they did try leaving jars and things outside when the fog was about and used an ingenious method using wire and string and a sealed box that would snap shut, a bit like a rat trap, but nothing seemed to work. So good old fashioned methods had to be used and that was where little me came in.

The others were strangely quiet around me, not knowing what to say or do. Jeanie was nearly in tears whenever she came near me and in the end I suggested she make herself useful somewhere else, so she went to help in the kitchen.

The others made themselves useful around the place. Eve, being Eve helped with the maintenance of the bunker. She liked doing things with her hands and more often than not, she had those hands covered in oil! That didn’t mean that she didn’t like girlie things now. Every evening, we all sort of tried dressing for dinner and she looked as pretty as the other girls then.

Julie and Sarah helped with the little ones. Julie had gradually got better and she no longer had so many nightmares about what she had been through. Jeanie helped Mummy in the lab with the other scientists, trying to find different antidotes to the fog’s effects. Nicola was our sort of our animal keeper. Apart from Ben, there was another dog called Penny who had wandered in almost starving the previous day. There were also some chickens, nabbed from a local farm on the way through on the journey from the complex to the bunker. They gave us some much needed eggs which added to the rather plain food that we had to use. How long the tinned and dried food would last was anyone’s guess.

~ §~

So the time came when everything was in place and I was to go out and meet the fog. Sentries and look-out’s had been placed in various locations for any signs of the fog but there had been no sign of it for some time. The plane went up on two occasions and found banks of it some miles away, but it seemed to like valleys more than the higher ground.

I sat around for long periods twiddling my thumbs and waiting for something to happen. I was taking large amounts of vitamin B12–lots of it in the form of Marmite ® on my breakfast toast–hopefully to counteract some of the fog’s effects; I had always loved Marmite. I spent far too much time thinking about things and, this wasn’t helping and that was why, in the end I wrote this journal, to keep me busy and my mind off what was to come.

It was at almost the end of the third day that the fog came towards us. Lookouts reported it approaching us slowly from the east.

I didn’t want long goodbyes, and not wanting to risk blubbing, I just hugged my extended family quickly and made my way out of the bunker. I nearly lost my shaky composure when I said goodbye to my parents and sister who were all crying and acting as if they might never see me again, but I tried without a great deal of success to keep a stiff upper lip and just said a cheery–if quavering–goodbye and then when the huge steel doors opened, went out to meet the fog.

As the doors slammed behind me, I felt very alone in an extremely hostile world. I stopped for a moment almost panicking and considering very seriously whether I should just bang on the door and go back inside. But somehow, I calmed myself and began the journey that might cost me my life.

It was dry and cold outside and a gentle breeze wafted up my skirt. I smiled ruefully, remembering that as a boy, I had gone into long trousers about a year ago, and they might have been preferable on a chilly day like this–although a kilt would have been much warmer than my comparatively flimsy skirt. I had on my coat, scarf and beret, but no gloves because I would have had difficulty screwing on the jar’s lid or injecting myself with adrenaline had I been wearing gloves.

I knew roughly where the fog was. I had to go along the road, over the brow of a hill and there I would see its approach. According to the lookouts, it was about a mile and a half away, coming in my direction at about a fast walking pace. Well, thinking about it would not get the job done, so taking a deep breath I set off.

My heart was thumping loudly as I walked down the road, my heels clicking on the tarmac being the only noise apart from the gentle whisper of the breeze in the trees and the occasional flap of birds wings as, mainly seagulls flew rapidly across the sky and over my head. It did not take a rocket scientist to know what they were trying to escape from.

To keep myself sane and not thinking too many nasty thoughts I started singing the first thing that came into my head.


Oh! ye'll tak’ the high road and
I'll tak’ the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye;
But me and my true love
Will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

I was slightly off key, but I was no singer to speak of and let’s face it, there was no one around to hear my rather tuneless wailing.

On reaching the brow of the brae I stopped: the road veered to the right about fifty yards ahead but behind the road and over the hills was the fog, not a quarter of a mile away and coming ever closer–a massive bank of the evil, rising to about fifty feet and many miles across. It was green, pulsating and had that strange luminosity about it, as if it had a life. My chest immediately felt tight and I had some difficulty breathing. After putting the towel over my mouth and nose, I looked for somewhere to stop. Over to the side was a large rock that looked rather like a leering skull.

I went to the rock and sat down with my back to it, facing the now fast-approaching fog. It began to darken as the fog covered the sun. I just sat there trembling and sweating despite the coldness of the day. The light got dimmer and dimmer and my heart thumped faster and faster. My breathing became more difficult. With trembling hands I unscrewed the lid of the Robertson’s jam jar with, I noticed in passing, it’s Golly sticker still attached.

I had the syringe in my pocket and I was just about to get it out when I heard a scraping sound. Looking up, I could hear faltering steps coming from around the corner. I gasped as staggering into view was a small boy of about 4 years old! He looked ragged, thin and almost dead on his feet. He came towards me, not really aware of the fog or anything else for that matter.

The fog was looming large now and was no more than two hundred yards away. I didn’t think, I just acted and called out to the boy.

‘Come here, quickly!’ I shouted.

He paid no attention and appeared to be oblivious of me. He stopped and stood there swaying the road like a branch in the wind.

I immediately got up and ran towards him. He seemed dazed, and didn’t respond as I came up and tried to shake him out of his torpor. The fog was getting nearer and nearer. I was feeling a compulsion to just go towards it with the boy and be embraced by it, but I had had these feelings before and I resisted them. I pulled the boy over to the side of the road, my mind full of indecision. Then, I realised that he had had a much shorter life than I and I need to try to give him a chance if I could.

I took the syringe out of my pocket and jabbed the boy in the leg with the needle and used the plunger to inject the adrenalin. It wasn’t a nice thing to do but he didn’t even notice it. Then I took the towel and tied it firmly around his mouth and nose. I was continually looking up and gauging the distance between us and the fog. It was coming nearer and nearer. It was nearly dark now as any light from the sun was now being obliterated by the green, pulsating, deadly fog.

I put the jam jar down on the floor and hugged the little boy. I noted that he had fallen asleep despite the adrenalin. I was feeling a bit sleepy myself, even though I found breathing difficult, had an intense desire to get up and join the fog.

I thought of Mummy and Daddy, my sister, Jeanie and my friends, Eve, Julie, Sarah, Nicola and not forgetting, Ben. I focussed on that and not the voices in my head that told me to just get up and be with the fog which was bearing down on me.

I bit my tongue and the pain helped the voices go away a bit and clear my head. I could taste the blood go down my throat and I nearly gagged as the fog finally came up and enveloped us. I was holding my breath and I pulled the lid out of my pocket and screwed the top on the jar, taking two attempts before it would screw properly, finally trapping some of the evil fog inside.

I could hold my breath no longer and just breathed the vile stuff in and shut my eyes, waiting for it to either knock me out or take my life.

But I didn’t sleep; I was feeling tired, more tired than I had ever felt in my life, but I did not lose consciousness!

I opened my eyes and could see very little of my surroundings. Everything was green and faintly luminous. I looked down at the boy, slumped down by the side of me. I thought that he was dead, and then noted some very shallow and slow breathing. I myself could not move now and it was as if I was paralysed in some way.

As I watched him with the fog swirling around us, I could see him subtly change. His head changed shape slightly and I looked on powerless, with horror when the towel dropped from his face. I could not move to put it back and it was all I could do to breath.

He no longer looked boyish but more feminine and his hair began to grow slowly before my eyes. I know that children of that age were fairly androgynous but I could tell that there were definite changes going on. His nose became thinner and more button like. His lips looked slightly thicker, the shape of his eyebrows changed subtly and his look softened perceptibly. Yes, he was changing into a girl before my very eyes!

I sat there for twenty minutes with what was now a little girl. My thoughts were muddled and disjointed, but mainly about what had happened over the few short weeks since the fog had descended on us suddenly and changed the world forever. I found that I could now move a little and I shifted my position to be more comfortable on the hard surface.

Looking down at the girl, I could see that her hair now touched her thin shoulders. She was wearing the uniform of Fort William Primary School with a blazer, shirt, tie and shorts. She had an overcoat on–which was open for some reason–with a cap and scarf.

With some difficulty–I was still finding it hard to move–I did up her overcoat and made sure that she was as warm as possible. I could do little for her legs, which above her stockings and below her shorts were bare. She looked awfully thin and pale. How she had survived all that had been going on I didn’t know. I hugged her to me, trying to keep her as warm as possible as the fog gradually thinned and then disappeared over the hill.

I couldn’t go back to the bunker yet as she was still asleep. I hoped that she would awaken shortly so I could get her and the jar back to the others as soon as possible. Looking at the jar, I could see the fog swirling slightly through the glass as if it had a life of its own. It wasn’t much, but I hoped that it would be enough for the scientists to do something with.

Eventually, she moaned slightly and opened her eyes. She looked up and smiled.

‘Maw?’ she said, her voice thin and weak.

I stroked her hair. ‘Your Maw has gone away for a bit. Would you like to come and see mine?’

‘Has she got biscuits?’

‘Aye, hen, let’s go and find her, shall we?

~ §~

The fog had all but disappeared now, and I noticed that the wind was whipping up and clouds were bubbling up from the west. It got colder very quickly and I hurried as fast as I could with my shaky legs to try to beat the bad weather that was surely coming our way. The wee girl–whose name, incidentally, was Andrew–was finding it hard going, and in the end I had to carry her. She was so thin though that I had little trouble lifting her.

I don’t think she realised that she had become a girl so I decided to leave the adults to sort out that wee problem.

It started raining rather hard half-way home, and then the rain turned to wet snow, making us feel even colder. I had real concerns about whether we would get to safety, when I heard the sound of an engine. Looking up I could just make out approaching headlights through the blinding sleet. It was a Land Rover!

In seconds we were in the car and being taken back by Daddy and one of the doctors to the safety of the bunker complex.

I had made it alive and had a new addition to our group!

Epilogue

As I browse my journal some 5 years later, I marvel at how we could have possibly survived such a catastrophic event.

On arriving back at the bunker complex, I was treated like a heroine, but not liking all the fuss, I disappeared into my room for a few hours.

When I came out of hiding, I discovered that things were moving. The storm outside had gradually worsened and it seemed as if it had reached hurricane proportions in its ferocity.

Meanwhile, the boffins had taken the precious fog sample and using a special airtight vessel, specially constructed for the purpose, were trying to discover more about it.

The storm outside continued unabated while we carried on with our lives as best as we could inside the bunker. Luckily it had its own generators, so we were relatively dry and warm, while outside the temperature dropped to 30 degrees below zero and dropping.

There was very little for us to do so we spent our time, reading, playing board games and–our favourite topic–what we would do when all this was over.

Wee Andy, who now answered to Andrea–or Andi for short–seemed to take to being a girl like a duck to water. It didn’t seem to faze her at all. She never spoke about her experiences and the doctors said it was probably some sort of defence mechanism, whatever that was. She took to going around with Nicola, Ben and Penny and it was nice to see them run through the halls with the other kids, playing games and trying not to be tripped up by the barking dogs.

It was somewhat boring at times for all of us, but sometimes boring is good, especially after what all of us had been through!

About a week after I went out to fish for fog, there was a general meeting in the great Hall. We were all there–even the younger kids–as the Colonel, Mummy and Daddy, and the head scientist faced us and told us about the current state of play.

‘Thank you for coming,’ said the Colonel, ‘Firstly, the weather. Outside, the temperature is continuing to drop and the storm continues unabated. We have no idea how widespread the bad weather is and how long it might continue. We will keep you posted, as usual by putting the temperatures and barometer readings on the notice board in the canteen. Now I think that Professor Summers here wants to tell us about the sample of fog that young Alexandra here was brave enough to obtain for us, Professor?’

I felt my face go hot as I blushed when half the eyes turned in my direction. I sunk lower in my chair.

‘Thank you, Colonel. Well, I would like to say that I have good news for you, but I regret that I have not. Under strict conditions and under a sealed environment, we opened the jar provided by Alex. It was immediately obvious that the fog had no life in it as it sank to the bottom of the chamber and did not move. There was no sign of luminosity and it was not throbbing. We did what we could to test it for its component composition, but there were no tests that we could carry out that would bring us any closer to what it was and whether indeed it was alive. The gas appears now to be inert and as such our tests have failed. We are not prepared to release it into the atmosphere in case for some reason it might come to life and make our situation worse. We are in unknown territory here and because we do not know enough about the gas we will not be taking any chance that it might miraculously come back to life again.’

With that he sat down. I felt bad about that. I had risked my life, all for nothing. Then I remembered wee Andrea and smiled. It was worth it, after all!

Mummy got up next and spoke.

‘As far as our supplies are concerned, we have enough to last us at least three months and water is being supplied by the underground well beneath this complex. There is enough fuel for the generators to last a further six months at least and that goes for the LP gas. We hope that the weather might change soon and if that does, we will try to do something about our stocks.’

Daddy then took over.

‘Our communications with the outside world are zero at the moment. The weather is too bad, and although we have round the clock monitoring, nothing is coming in. We are overhauling our equipment and hope to have a more powerful radio and antennas to use in the near future that will extend our range considerably.’

That was just about the end of the meeting and we just had to sit and hope that things would improve soon.

Three weeks and two days later the weather lifted and the fog was gone.

From around the country and the world, our now more powerful transmitters picked up pockets of life. We spoke to several places in the UK, one outside Manchester, another Cornwall, one near Mount Snowdon where another government complex had managed to weather the storm and a few other places, but nothing came out of the south east including London.

Other countries, like France, Holland and Germany had been picked up, but nothing further afield. It appeared that there were very few people left alive and those that were had many problems trying to survive the tragedy.

But the human race is tough and adaptable. It was calculated that only about half of one percent of the entire human race had survived the fog and the storms that raged around the world for nearly a month. It might have been worse or better than that, but as communications were difficult and remain so, it has all been a question of guesswork as to the numbers of survivors.

Formal governments have become a thing of the past and even now, five years later, there is no real strong structure of government anywhere that we are aware of. It took six months to get word that there were survivors in the Americas and a further two months when we were able to establish that most countries had people who had survived the virtual Armageddon brought about by the green fog.

As far as we could calculate from the sparse information coming in, there were now six females to every male survivor. It is considered enough–just–for the human race to survive. Only time will tell if it is true.

Large towns and cities have been abandoned to nature but smaller towns and villages have taken over as the hubs of much smaller communities. There are barter systems in place regarding trade, and formal currency has not been re-established in our country, although some others are trying it with varying levels of success.

We now live on my auntie and uncle’s Dunoon farm as a large extended family. Apart from my parents and aunt and uncle, there is Jeanie, of course, Eve, Sarah, Julie, Nicola, Andi and the dogs, Ben and Penny. We live a simple life and when Mummy and Daddy are at work at the complex we keep the farm going and food in our bellies. We have a lot of fun and I love all the others as dearly as if they are my own flesh and blood. It still hurts that we lost so many people but life carries on and we have to get on with it.

On personal level, I have a boyfriend called Nigel whom I love very much and who had somehow managed to avoid becoming a girl. He doesn’t know it yet, but we are going to get married soon. I want to have some babies and help increase the world’s population–well someone has to do it!

And what of the green fog? Occasionally, around sunset, there is a slight green tinge in the sky. If it is the fog, high up in the atmosphere, pushed up by the incredibly violent storms, I hope sincerely that it stays there, but if it doesn’t we will be ready and fight it because we are, as a race, survivors.

The End

 


Please remember to leave comments...it's nice to know if people like/don't like my stories and remember, no comments means no feedback and no feedback means no stories:-)

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, That Was Very Good

littlerocksilver's picture

Sue,

That was an interesting take on Armagedon. I guess some things are never meant to be answered. Was there a higher authority, a higher purpose, or did it just happen because of the nature of things, not all understood by man, it could? In this world, the question is moot. A fun story.

Portia

Portia

Answers

In a prior chapter, there is a brief discussion of a comet/asteroid/meteor kind of thing, with the intimation that the Fog might involve some kind of alien lifeform, which in a prior approach to Earth might have been involved in wiping out the dinosaurs.

I'm not sure about the worldwide storms. They raise the issue of Gaia repelling the infection, which is more supernatural than sci-fi.

Anyway, I'm going with alien invasion as the explanation. In War of the Worlds, I believe the Martians die off after contracting common cold germs, for which they had no immunity. Something similar happened here. The Fog died of frostbite or something.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

A little anticlimatic, but still very satisfying

On a side note, she is such a girl! I mean, that confession that Nigel and her are going to get married, yet "he doesn’t know it yet"! ^_^

Half a percent of survivors? I think... Ten million worldwide, give or take? I don't remember the dynamics of the world population but it was around 2 billion at the supposed time, right?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

You're not far off for the mid-50s

Say, 1955, when the population was approx 2.8 billion, which would up the new population to 14 million

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Entertaining tale

Entertaining tale, kept me reading. The ending may have been a bit anticlimatic, but it was satisfying. One thing I thought was interesting you didn't really make much of was that the weather of the earth itself seemed to be fighting the fog, and it reminded me of the old Gaia hypothesis where the world is kind of a self correcting system. You might could have explored that just a bit but I sense you are tired of writing about it, I think, so it's a good ending.

In a sense your story also reminded me of the enviromental bottleneck that human evolution folks think the human race went through about 140,000 years ago during a gosh awful ice age that had much of the northern hemisphere under ice and the southern hemisphere (at least Arica) a seriously desert like environment, that left only Homo Sapiens and Neandethals around. Then again about 30-40,000 years ago rapid warming and cooling episodes took place that resulted in only our species surviving. At about 11,000 years ago, a comet is believed to have either grazed our atmosphere or possibly exploded high up and created an ice age that lasted about 1,000 years and resulted in the extinction of ice age megafauna in the northern hemisphere of the Americas, but not so much in Europe as theirs were gone by about 20,000 years ago. Apparently identified by many microscopic diamonds in layers dating to 11,000 years ago, the diamonds relate to dust and particles recovered in comet tails and meteors by space probes. Then the environment changed by warming, and farming and herding sprang up in several parts of the world.

Your story was about a bottleneck for humanity and other species that may have come from outer space too. Cool.

Thanks,
CaroL

CaroL

The Green Fog~Final Chapter

Great Story. But I still wonder if the green fog didn't cause the events in the Chosen by having mainly boys born until the Chosen events occur?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Again, No

For starters, the timelines don't match. Further, no one dies of unnatural causes in The Chosen unless
someone kills them.

Of more interest, though, is why you've got this fetish for trying to conflate multiple unrelated stories into one? This is fiction. It's not the real world. In fiction, each story, unless specifically clear otherwise, exists in its own universe, which can be anything from a place in our own real world at a particular point in time to, as in the case of some sci-fi stories, a fanciful alternate reality.

Can't you just read a story on the merits? If you want to dabble in literary criticism, thats fine I suppose, but discuss styles and themes and obvious, intentional references on the part of an author within the context of the current story. Don't go creating your own exegesis. At best, that's a sophomoric endeavor.

Agree - No Conections

RAMI

I guess Stanman is overly occupied wiyh connecting stories that have nothing in common, except the author.

I agree with your analysis cmpletely.

RAMI

RAMI

A Big Snag About Gaia

This story is set in the mid-1950s, sometime before the Gaia theory was propounded by James Lovelock. I quote from the Wikipedia entry for Gaia:

The Gaia hypothesis was first scientifically formulated in the 1960s by the independent research scientist James Lovelock, as a consequence of his work for NASA on methods of detecting life on Mars. He initially published the “Gaia Hypothesis” in journal articles in the early 1970s followed by a popularizing 1979 book “Gaia: A new look at life on Earth”.

So you see, Sue could not have justified including anything about Gaia The Green Fog.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Excellent!

This was a superbly written piece of post apocalyptic scifi. Its one of those that leaves you with mixed feelings, glad the story has a happy ending and still sorry that it has ended.

Thanks for a great read!

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

There are more things in heaven and earth

I loved the story. I'm sure that many will find the ending unsatisfactory but, after all, it is arrogant to think that we are the only life form in the universe.

This was superbly written, with Sue's usual attention to detail. If it felt like the right place and time to end it, then that's the author's prerogative.

Good fiction always leaves the reader wanting more. I am eagerly awaiting Sue's next epic.

Susie

Well done Sue

Lovely tale of survival and bravery.

As a note.
Half of one percent of 80 million is 400,000 - rather more survivors than we expected.

If 1/10 of one percent (1/1000th) of the population survives that's still 80 thousand.

0ne in ten thousand is 8,000 people and that's more like it - but still rather a lot -

and quite survivable as a species - the whales did it.

If a country has enough food (dry food and grain) stored for a week (as an example - and I'm sure UK has more like food for a month) then the food available after a catastrophe would last (if one in ten thousand survived) ten thousand times longer - ten thousand weeks is 200 years.

Another strange statistic that people don't calculate.
Petrol/diesel will last for about the same length of time - probably longer as no one will be going anywhere. So power would be available from small generators for several lifetimes.

Communication by anything but radio would be difficult after the initial period as satellite and ground lines became depowered - shortwave is the best and it is intermittent at best for long range.

Villages, as you have mentioned would be the best survival tactic - Castles - and walled towns too. I've often thought a holiday resort might be the way to go - like a country club, with forays into towns for dry stores and forays into grain silos for wheat!

Six To One

joannebarbarella's picture

Leaving aside the never-to-be-resolved mystery of the fog (damn it all, Sue! I like my loose ends all neatly tied up) some interesting social dynamics could arise in the aftermath/recovery.One thing's for sure; there should be no stigma attached to the trans-gendered!

With men outnumbered six to one, do women become the dominant sex in terms of running things? Is Nigel kept in cotton wool rather like a male harem denizen, with little say in whom he marries? Alexandra as Lady Domme? Or are men once more the lords of all they survey, with desperate women competing for their affections?

Will women engage in raiding and wars to steal additional men for their group's genetic survival? One of these days, Sue, you might want to write about the post-apocalyptic society, but first give us more Football Girl,

Joanne

Um, six girls to every one boy?

Plural marriage is a must or at least removing the stigma on unwed mothers. The population needs to grow fast to save civilization after all and one to one would mean a lot of spinsters or adultery. Sooooo, Nigel will soon be engaged to marry Alexandra, her sister Jeanie, of course, and Eve, Sarah, Julie and Nicola. Hey they are VERY close to each other due to the odyssey across England in the car and later the buses.

-- snicker --

Seriously something along those line will likely be needed for a few generations at least. That and carefully recording family lines to avoid inbreeding.

I wonder if Bessie and or the other bus have not rusted out, will Sue and other help fix them up or will at least one end up in a museum. If they can be fixed they are excellent transport given the circumstances. They will need to raid cities for radio tubes, IE valves, medical stocks and other critical items such as spare parts for machinery. Machine tools and such will need to be carefully protected from vandalism and the elements until such time as they are needed again. The abandoned cities and factories will need to be protected as emergency stockpiles for the future as much as practical. Same for libraries. The survivors will prosper as we did after the Black Death eased but it will take time. Identifing resorces in critcal need of protection or salvage will become a top proority job in the following years as will insuring of adequate safe food, water and al. Stored food, grains, drugs, even refined petroleum stocks degrade over time if not carefully protected so much work is ahead of them.

BTW, the first artificial satellite was Sputnik in Oct 57, the first test of a satellite radio *repeater* in orbit, a modified Atlas missile, was in the fall of 58. The first true com sats, the experimental Telstars and Echos followed by the more practical and useful Early Bird, were early to mid 1960s so satellites are out for a while though maybe the numerous undersea cables might work for a while and short wave radio will work, just bit dependent of solar activity. So worldwide communication is feasible, even moon bounce as some HAM operators used to do it.

Reminded me of the best features of fifties/early sixties sci-fi films such as The Last Man on Earth, The Night of the Triffids, The Blob, It Came from Outer Space and all those end of the world atomic fallout based tales. Hopefully NOT On the Beach.

That they still did not know what is was at the end fit in too.

Alex/Alexandra is a world class heroine in the grand tradition. I can see it now, a few hundred years later man's first community on Mars will be Alexandria in honor of the great lady and her by then thousands of descendants.

VERY fine job.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Problems for Survivors

The stored food would probably decay and become inedible before it ran out, John.

The biggest problem with having a very low and scattered population of survivors would be the impossibility of maintaining all the knowledge and skills our species has collected up to the time of the Armageddon - not everything is fully described and written down, many skills need to be learned by seeing things done and by practice under supervision - surgery for example! The survivors would probably lose a lot of advanced skills and knowledge, and would fall back into an agricultural or even hunting and gathering state.

I would imagine for the first generation survivors the trauma and deprivations would cause many of them to become depressed, and even suicidal. Medical care would fall back to just the basics, so that long term survivsl would decline. Maintaining vehicles and generators would be a problem with most of the skilled operatives no longer existing - try doing car maintenance from the manual provided and you will see what I mean ! So people in many places would be forced back to hand implements. A tough world, this would be.

Briar

Briar

You, Dear One, Are A Pessimist

With the Fog gone, there's tons of arable land for a handful of people. Scads of unharmed buildings. All the tools and machines survive. The coal mines are still operable. The North Sea oilfields haven't been discovered yet, so the folks in Old Blighty might have to do without that, but whatever petroleum is available will go far with a small population.

The bell curve will always produce outstanding individuals, in all fields. Edison, Tesla, Ford, Bell and others made great breakthroughs in technology, pretty much on their own imagination and creativity. If people make an effort to preserve their libraries, everything works out just fine, IMHO. 18th and 19th century reference works actually tried to capture the sum total of Man's technology as of that early part of the Industrial Age. That stuff is very comprehensible and reproduceable. So, I'd predict that was the floor, below which the survivors couldn't sink.

Don't forget, we had to learn everything we now know. Even if we somehow lost it all, there's no reason it wouldn't get relearned at some point. Or maybe we'd learn some different and better things.

Early versions of the Encyclopedia Brittanica were highly technical, and scientifically oriented. Much more so than later consumer-oriented versions.

So, the most that is at risk, I would guess, is some of the technological advancements between 1915 or so and 1950. It's a very survivable world.

Another great Story

RAMI

Sue has written another great story. That the Green Fog is still a threat albeit remote, allows Sue to continue this story a some point in the future.

RAMI

RAMI

Brilliant conclusion.

Excellent story, and a brilliant conclusion.

I'll be on the lookout for further Suzan Brown stories.

Sue, a very interesting

Sue, a very interesting ending to "The Green Fog". I was actually hoping that the super storms destroyed the fog, but it seems that possibly they only placed it way up in the atmosphere. Perhaps it is high enough that the sun's rays will eventually kill it off? It was really nice that Alex was able to save another small child and gain another "sister" in doing so. Hugs, Jan

The Green Fog - My final thoughts

Many thanks for the kind comments on my story.

I really enjoyed writing it, trying to make it a ripping yarn with overtones of 1950’s B movie combined with Enid Blyton's, children’s story overtones. Some have said that it is a bit of an anti-climax. The problem here is that it was never going to be a happy ever after, as if nothing happened type story.

A vast majority of the world’s population had been killed. Everyone had lost friends and or relatives. What they all had to do was to pick themselves up, dust themselves off and start all over again.

The story was about a catastrophe and how a group of resourceful children managed get up to Scotland despite all the odds and find a level of happiness, which to me, isn’t a bad ending considering the state of the world.

Thanks once again for all the comments and vote thingies.

Hugs
Sue

PS No Stan, there is no connection between this story and The Chosen.

While I did say

It was a little anticlimatic, it's rather from the way Mother Nature dealt with the fog, leaving nothing for humans to do. ;) I consider it like some Cool Mom takes a snakelike animal in the vicinity of her child and throws it far in the shrubs. The child is not feeling particularily excited about it - but it's still a good thing.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Frustrating Finish

Dear Susan,

another excellent tale from you, as good as most of yours have been. I felt that you wound it up rather quickly as though you were not sure how to get rid of it, as it were, and found both the speed of its end and the lack of very much more being found out about this alien life form that invaded the Earth a bit unsatisfying - well it was for me, having a science background I always want to find out how things work.

This is the kind of story that one keeps thinking about afterwards. I would not be surprised if you attract a few fanfics with it.

Bless you for generously giving so much time to entertain us all. Look forward to the next story from you.

Briar

Briar

It Was The Late 1950s

joannebarbarella's picture

Most preserved foods were canned, not frozen, and therefore could last for years. Drinks came in glass bottles as did jams and sauces, so I don't see there would be any problem with short-term survival (first couple of years) given that we are talking of a population in the UK of perhaps 100,000. OK, so things like tea and coffee and "exotic" fruits like bananas and oranges might be in short supply until trading infrastructure was re-established, but hot-houses abounded in the country at that time, and this was the age of the "allotment" where hobby gardeners grew their own veggies.

I presume, since dogs survived, that chickens and sheep would have also, and there must have been fish, stocks of which would have rapidly recovered from commercial fishing activities.

Vehicles could easily be kept running by cannibalisation, the biggest problem being that tyres and seats would eventually perish. Although they would have that same problem there would be bicycles for all, not to mention sailing boats of every description. Petroleum fuels were there for the pumping at petrol/gas stations, possibly enough for fifty years, plus coal and humble wood, all of the basic necessities of life to at least a 19th-century standard.

The libraries and bookshops would provide the seeds for redevelopment as soon as resources permitted. Do-it-yourself and hobby books would be as valuable and useful as encyclopaedias.

The biggest initial hurdle would be either disposing of the dead as they decayed or the living who had been mentally affected as we saw from time to time during the story.

All-in-all I can see no problem with assuring basic survival. The biggest problem, as always, will be the people themselves and the way that social institutions remould to fit the changed situation,

Joanne

Nobody...

...least of all our author, has brought up the insane survivors. (Not even John, who usually extrapolates these things as far as they'll go.)

If I recall correctly, their presence and their ability to band together -- one, as we saw, even had "paranormal" hypnotic powers -- were among the reasons why the kids decided to avoid cities as much as they could on their northward journey. Extrapolating from what we've seen, initially there seemed to be more of them around than sane survivors, and since they're apparently immune to the Fog's deadlier effects, further encounters with it wouldn't have killed them off.

Presumably their mental condition and the destructive nature of at least some of them would at best limit their contribution to the new state of affairs. (It does seem that they very likely have the lion's share of the world's surviving males, for what that's worth.)

But how are the sane survivors going to handle them: Kill them off? Stay out of their way? Herd them into London? Hope they all starve to death when the canned food runs out? I suppose that since our knowledge of the Fog's effects approaches zero, it's not impossible that time will "cure" them, but even there the consequences seem totally unpredictable.

Along perhaps similar lines, gaining control over all the feral animals, unless the dog-eat-dog environment has literally taken care of it already, could be difficult for the sane survivors, who would find themselves greatly outnumbered. That's not to say they can't handle it -- comparatively few humans wiped out millions of American bison and tens of millions of passenger pigeons over relatively short time periods with technology not approaching that of the 1950s. But it seems hard to ignore.

Eric

Still Insane?

I think it obvious that the Fog played some direct role in the insanity. The Fog acted as some sort of hive mind, and entranced people. It's entirely possible, that with the Fog gone, people who were directly affected by its mind-controlling powers would recover. It's also possible that they were like zombies, and with the Fog gone, just die.

Isn't it fun to speculate? LOL. Well, the story's over, so we'll never know for sure. Our intrepid author may not even know. Her muse took her very far with this story; let's not blame it for not gift-wrapping the ending. The story was a blast. I loved it!

A fitting end

to a wonderful story .....Thank you Sue you are as always a consumate author, Can't wait to see what you might have in store for us in the future...

Kirri

A fun story!!

Pamreed's picture

Thanks Sue , I have always liked Sci Fi and the most fun are of those people surviving a disaster!! And to include a form of transgenderism makes it way cool!!! This was an escape story I could read and escape from my day to day life!!! It did have the feel of a 1950's SciFi movie!! I know because I was a child then and went to see them at the movies!! So a very good effort Sue, but I would not expect anything different from you!!!

<3 Pamela

Thanks for a great story

Sorry that this is delayed. I like to wait until a serial story is complete before reading. There are lots of reasons...

I truly enjoyed this story. Lots of action, lots of pathos. The amount of research you must have done is impressive.

Keep up the good work, and thank you.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Sci Fi

Thanks Hun, I love the Sci Fi story, we all have to remember Truth is stranger then fiction and (for the record I am not in a place of believing or not believing the 2012 stuff) and being 2012 who knows.... I have met a few people that I would love to see how the fog........Meow I will leave that we must love all unconditionally still.........hmmm......... Giggle
Love and Hugs
Hannna
girl_and_her_coffee3.jpg

Now if I can just find one of those buses..........Hmmm

A good story teller turns peoples ears to eyes......

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

One of your best

I've read several of your stories here in the last few days; this is easily the best of the ones I've read. The characters were vivid, the story engrossing and often deeply affecting. Unlike some other posters, I didn't think the ending was anticlimactic; I might have liked to learn a little bit more about the nature of the fog, but the ending you have is plausible and satisfying, and if you'd ended with the scientists finding out a lot more about the fog and figuring out how to get rid of it on their own, still, it would have been the scientists doing that and not our child protagonists. Their part was finished when Allie retrieved the fog sample, so that's a good place to end.

I'll be without Internet access for a few days, but I reckon I'll read more of your stories when I can.

The Green Fog of death

Wonderful story! Gripping, tense, strange, very good. Have you read "The Day Of The Triffids"? Some striking similarities, as well as to John Carpenter's "The Fog". But unique enough to be original. Excellent work!

Wonderful Science Fiction!

It was quite a treat going back over this story once again. A tense and frightening tale with a relatively pleasant ending.

I love good story characterization and Sue, you did a great job of that; making the characters feel like folk that I might have known.

My Mum's side of the family was Scots a long time ago, and even today, ages later, Scotland is fascinating to me.

Thank you so much for putting this tale to paper.

Gwen

Excellent tale well told

Angharad's picture

Kept me turning the pages with a happy if uncertain future. Thank you Sue, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Angharad

Bravo!

Great story Sue, thank you

Happy

Bravo!

Great story Sue, thank you

Happy

Bravo!

Great story Sue, thank you

Happy