The Holy Spirit, I

Printer-friendly version

The Holy Spirit, I

 
By Melissa Tawn
 
What does a transitioning transsexual do if she is totally “unpassable”? Perhaps withdraw to a convent.


 
 

CHAPTER 1. THE CONVENT

If you travel some 20 miles north on US highway 27 from the town of Richmond, Indiana, and look carefully to the right, you see a small turnoff almost hidden behind a clump of trees. An insignificant white sign nailed to one of the trees proclaims

CHS
Private Property
Not a thru road

If, nonetheless, you turn down that road, and drive another 500 feet or so, you come across a bigger sign with bold black letters on a yellow background

CHS
Private Property
Trespassers will be prosecuted
to the full extent of the law

You then drive through a denser line of trees and find yourself in front of a 15-foot high chain-link fence with a locked gate. The gate can be opened using a magnetic key card - if you are one of the fortunate few people who have one. A sign directs others to get out of their vehicles and approach a closed-circuit TV camera, bringing identification with them.

Dr. Catherine Gold (AUTHOR’S NOTE: Dr. Gold is a gender psychologist, who was introduced in my story “The Doctor, II”. She has appeared in several other stories as well.) alit from her rental car and duly placed her driver’s license on the scanner next to the camera, along with a letter of invitation to a meeting at CHS. After several moments of whispered conversation which Dr. Gold could not follow, the gate swung open and she was directed to continue on to the main cluster of buildings, where a guide would wait for her.

Dr. Gold drove on for about five miles of forest. It was very beautiful in the full colors of the Indiana fall, and she even spied several deer among the trees. Then she descended into a valley, in the middle of which stood what appeared to be a large medieval monastery, built in true gothic style. It was, in fact, based on the plans of the Espirito Santo convent at Olmedo, Spain, founded by the Cistercian Sisters in 1142. A more welcoming sign proclaimed its name in full

Convent of the Holy Spirit

Welcome to those who come in peace

As Dr. Gold parked in the lot next to the entrance, a gray-clad nun came forward to greet her. “Welcome to the Convent of the Holy Spirit, Dr. Gold” she said smiling. “I am Sister Serena. The Mother Superior asked me to welcome you. She, unfortunately, will be very busy for the next half hour and asked me to give you a short introduction to our order while you are waiting. It is such a beautiful day today, let us sit here in the garden.”

Sister Serena directed Dr. Gold to a seat in a lovely courtyard garden, and began her story.

“I should begin by emphasizing two points which, I am sure, you already know. The first is that, contrary to first appearances, we are not affiliated in any way with the Catholic Church, or for that matter, with any other religious organization. While we have chosen to live according to the rule of the Cistercian Sisters, which dates back to 1125, we do not require any form of religious belief from those who live here. I am sure you noticed the most salient “missing detail” from the design of these buildings, namely that there is no cross over the entrance to the convent nor, for that matter, anywhere else except in the cells of those of the nuns who want it.

The second point, which of course is one of the reasons you are here, is that all of the sisters of this convent - including me - are biologically male. We have chosen to live our lives as cloistered nuns for a number of reasons, as I will explain.

This convent was founded forty years ago by our first Mother Superior, Sister Beatrice. What her “male” name was before that is unimportant. Suffice it to say that she began her life of frustration hidden in a male body by applying her energies and talents - as many do - to making money. In fact, she was very good at that and by the time she was 40 she was worth several hundreds of millions of dollars. However, she looked at her life with disgust. She had always felt that she was a woman and having to live her life as a purported male disgusted her. What made it worse was that no amount of makeup or surgery could make her look even remotely like an attractive female. In appearance, she resembled a cross between the old-time actors Robert Morley and Edward G. Robinson.

She therefore had the idea of founding a “convent” in which she could live a female, albeit cloistered, life away from the eyes of others. During the times when she had tried joining various support groups for crossdressers and transsexuals, she had come across others with a similar problem. Their gross male appearance belied every attempt to exhibit the feminine selves they so longed to bring out into the open. With a few friends, she therefore established and endowed the CHS Foundation, which purchased this land - very extensive by the way - and built this convent far away from prying eyes. She and her friends then shut themselves in here and tried to live the life of pious cloistered women.

Sister Beatrice tried to reach out to established churches - she, herself, had been born and raised a Catholic - but, as one can expect, was rejected. Indeed, the Catholic Church even filed a suit against the use of the name “Convent of the Holy Spirit” on the grounds that they had proprietary rights to that and similar names. Fortunately, Judge Judith Goldblatt in Indianapolis dismissed their suit. She ruled that since the term “holy spirit” (or “spiritus sanctus” in Latin) is merely a translation of the Hebrew “ruach hakodesh” which is an integral part of the Jewish religion, the Catholic Church itself appropriated it from an older religion without permission and therefore could hardly now claim any proprietary rights to it. Moreover, convents and monasteries can be found not only in a Catholic context but also in several other religions - including non-Christian religions - the Catholic Church had no special rights with regards to that. In any case, the word “convent” simply means “assembly” in Latin, and was often used in nonreligious contexts. Indeed, in some medieval societies a “convent” was merely an administrative subdivision of a province (“conventus districtus”).

Still, we are very careful to emphasize to everyone that we are not associated with the Catholic Church or with any other organized religion, just so that there is no misunderstanding. Each sister in our convent is free to worship God in her own way, or not do so at all. We provide several chapels which are used by various groups of nuns. Every Sunday, all of the nuns meet in conclave and we discuss the spiritual aspects of our unique lives. Quite frankly, little by little we are evolving our own theology here, which tries to understand and explain how people like us have come into being and what part we play in the scheme of the world. I am sure you will be interested in hearing more about that from the Mother Superior, when you meet with her.

The convent was built by the CHS Foundation, which has funds prudently invested and is able to maintain us in reasonable comfort. Other income comes from the sale various arts and crafts done by those of the sisters who are so inclined. I am sure you have seen the wonderful large tapestry sewn in the medieval manner but with a very modern content which hangs at the Chicago Art Institute. The artist is listed as “Sister Helene of the Holy Spirit” and I am sure that the curators would be shocked to know that Sister Helene, whose needlework is so delicate and so beautiful, was a star linebacker for the Bears for several years before she joined us. They would be similarly shocked to find out that the “Holy Spirit Marmalades” for which they pay a very high price at premium gourmet shops are prepared by a former bodyguard to a Las Vegas mafia chief and a former captain in the Green Berets, who lost a leg in Afghanistan.

These, and our other sisters, are all here because they know that they could never appear in public as women - with all of the plastic surgery available and all of the cosmetics to choose from - they are just not “passable” by any definition. Some of them have the added burden of having been public figures who would be recognized instantly, no matter how much they tried to live in obscurity. Here, on the other hand, they feel safe and secure cloistered in their own world. They do not have to worry about people pointing fingers or snickering behind their backs.”

Dr. Gold interrupted the story at this point and asked if she could eventually meet with some of these sisters, but Sister Serena said that that would be contrary to the rules of the order. According to the rules, only the Mother Superior, her assistant (i.e. Sister Serena) and the Sister Victualer (who was in charge of purchasing food and other supplies needed by the convent) could meet with people from the outside. “Three of our sisters are doctors, including one who was a head of surgery at Mass. General Hospital, so we rarely even need to bring in outside medical consultants. We do so only when our in-house physicians recommend it.”

“Well,” said Dr. Gold, “your Mother Superior invited me to come here; maybe this is one of those special cases.” “Maybe,” replied Sister Serena. “I do not know what she wants to talk to you about.”

CHAPTER 2. THE MOTHER SUPERIOR

Sister Serena looked at her watch and then rose to escort Dr. Gold to the office of the Mother Superior of the convent. On the way, she explained that the current Mother Superior, Sister Mary-Hope, was only the third person to serve in that position since the convent was founded; she was elected by the membership after the death of her predecessor seven years ago. As they were introduced, Dr. Gold noticed something familiar about the tall distinguished-looking nun, but it took a few moments for her to “click” and recognize the nun standing before her as a famous and often-photographed former governor of an important New England state and (unsuccessful) candidate for Vice President of the US, who had disappeared from public view some 15 years earlier. Certainly such a person, she mused, would have a very difficult time indeed transitioning into an ordinary and anonymous female life.

Sister Mary-Hope escorted Dr. Gold to a corner of her large office, which was furnished with a pair of comfortable armchairs and a low table, on which there were already placed a pair of cups and two urns - one with tea and one with coffee. After she poured Dr. Gold’s beverage and sat down, and after the usual 10-15 minutes of small talk, she got to the point.

“I am very glad, Dr. Gold, that you accepted my invitation to come here. I am sure Sister Serena did her usual thorough job of explaining the origins of our community. Over the years, we have grown quite a bit from Sister Beatrice’s original dream. We now number over 130 nuns, and have a waiting list of several dozen more applicants, for whom we simply do not have sufficient space to accomodate. From this I deduce that we are still fulfilling an important need in the transsexual community. However, we are also fully aware that society and its relationship to transsexuals are changing rapidly. Things are not as they were in Sister Beatrice’s time, nor even as they were when I first joined this convent less than two decades ago. In order to keep up with these changes and to insure that we remain relevant for future generations, we have decided on the unprecedented step of asking a series of experts to come before us and present their views on how transsexuals are viewed today and what is likely to be their course in the future.

As you were surely told, our rule forbids all but a few select sisters from meeting with persons from the outside. This is as the sisters wish, since many of them are rather ashamed of their looks and some are afraid of having their former male identities recognized. I am not the only person in this convent who was famous - or notorious - in her previous life. However, I have reinterpreted that rule to allow the members of our community to listen as a group to a lecturer from the outside, and to interact with the lecturer through a question-and-answer period after the talk. I am afraid that I cannot allow for individual face-to-face discussions between the lecturer and sisters of this house. I hope that, under these limitations, you would agree to be the first of our speakers.

Dr. Gold thought about this for a few moments. As a scientist, she was of course used to giving talks both before her professional peers and before more general groups. However, as a clinical psychologist her main interest was in conversations with individuals. For her, the limitations which Sister Mary-Hope imposed were very stringent indeed.

“Much as I find the idea of talking to your sisters fascinating, I am afraid I am going to have to decline,” she finally said. “I have always felt that the individual give-and-take after a lecture is - for me - the most important and rewarding part, the one which justifies the long hours preparing the talk. Without an opportunity for such give-and-take, why I might just as well send you a DVD with my talk recorded on it.”

“That is a shame,” said Sister Mary-Hope, “but I cannot bend the rule any further than I have already done.”

“Well,” said Dr. Gold, “I suppose it depends on the definition of the word `meet’. What if, instead of meeting sisters in person, you allowed them to contact me by e-mail or through a closed internet chat session. That way, I will not see them in person nor be able to guess their former identities. I see that you have a computer on your desk and I imagine that you are connected to the internet.”

“That is an interesting idea,” said Sister Mary-Hope. “I will need to consult with the other sisters, and see if it is agreeable with them.”

“Then I will await your decision,” said Dr. Gold, as she rose from her seat. “It has been very interesting to meet you, and I hope that some modus vivendi will be able to be worked out so that I can communicate with some of your sisters as well.”

Sister Mary-Hope rose too, and led her to the door, on the other side of which Sister Serena was waiting to escort her back to her car. As Dr. Gold drove away, she looked at the idyllic setting of the convent. It was a very interesting idea, but she somehow felt that it was a way of evading problems rather than confronting them. To her, transitioning meant living in society, not withdrawing from it. Still, she looked forward to hearing from Sister Mary-Hope again, and was sure that she would be back.

 

To Be Continued...


 

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An interesting concept

and one that I would be happy to see developed. I take the point that transitioning is living in the real world, but being tall, wide, of masculine features or some other situation doesn't prevent one from being transsexual.

I still remember the words of my father; "You don't even look like a woman." As if that made any difference to the me inside.

Susie

Please consider continuing

Andrea Lena's picture

...nice to rediscover an excellent character in an excellent series! Nice to be sandwiched between two of my dearest friends as well?



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

AMEN!!!

But the world still sees me as a freak. I've lost a lot of weight, but unless I go to Bailey's world of "Snakes and Ladders" (such a cool story), I'll always be "unpassable"-strange that such a word sounds like a football term! Maybe it should be impassable? Non-passable? How about just Monster, Weirdo or something even less pleasant. Yeah, welcome to my world.

Wren

I Like This Idea

joannebarbarella's picture

While we may all wish that it was not so, a girl who is 6' 4" with rugby player's features is still going to have a terrible time in our society, so a secluded place to dwell in peace is a really good idea.

Melissa, I look forward to Dr. Gold's meetings/interviews,

Joanne

Synchronicity

Here's Melissa, "6'4'' with rugby player's features" and over there I have Melanie...6'4''.....looking forward to see how this develops.
I hope not in the same way that happened with mine.

If a tree transitions in the forest

laika's picture

and there's nobody around to hear it am I really a girl? Well yes, I believe so, but to me it's nice to have at least a couple of people in the larger, secular, cisgendered world who don't think I'm deluded, that I am who I say I am. I told that shrink when I was hauled in for a 72 hour evaluation (January 2009) that while I didn't expect to be able to transition this was the one small thing I asked of life, that if I had this I could hang on, and he said he saw my point, why this would be important. Your fictional nunnery seems like a sad solution if someone is moved to hide away there less because of any religious calling than a fear of the world, a despair of ever belonging in it. And as Dr. Gold pointed out the world is changing, slowly and imperfectly. What might be a cool story would be a sister who leaves the order to rejoin society as a female---however unpassable---after having been there for a long time, all the same adjustments that ex-nuns and prison parolee have to face, along with the insecurities about her gender presentation on the outside; especially if it was a story where she found an acceptable life for herself out there beyond the gates of the convent...
~~~Hugs, Sister Veronica
.

(PS: Now we know what really happened to Elvis...)

Elvis

For what really happened to Elvis, see my story "The Guitar Player". Jimmy Hoffa, on the other hand, ...

Wow! What a concept!

Where do I sign up? I don't live all that far away! Oh, if only it were real....
With my size and general appearance, I would guess that CHS would be perfect for me, so yeah, I wanna read more! This is well written, and well planned. When there are more episodes of this, I will be reading!

Wren

Interesting Place - Somewhat not to my liking

RAMI

This is an interesting start to what could be a long and deeply emotional series of stories about individual inhabitents of the convent. I think it is well written and constructed. My coments that follow are not an attack on the writer or her story concept but are my thoughts about a place like this.

Very little of any individual's history was presented in this chapter. But as they said in the T.V. show the "Naked City" (where there were 8 miillion stories)there are at least 130 stories at the Convent of the Holy Spirit. Some issues that these cloistered individuals must have to face after fleeing from their former lives (not just identities) and deserting their loved ones is how they deal with the former parents, siblings, spouses and children.

If the CHS is as secretive and uninviting to those of the outside world, then it would appear that these 130 sisters have deserted their loved ones. Perhaps they can justify doing that to their parents (who did not understand or support them), their siblings (who teased and ridiculed them, their spouses (who feel hurt and deeived by them) but how do they justify abandoning their children.

Were all of these 130 sisters truly abused on the outside, that they give up everything or perhaps many feel their own perceived needs are more important then anything else.

Since you alude to a Jewish concept, perhaps those sisters who were of or perhaps remain of the Jewish faith should do as is required of all Jews today on Erev (the eve) of Yom Kippur and ask those whom they may have harmed for foreginess.

RAMI

P.S. Mellisa if this comment has in any way harmed you, please forgive me.

RAMI

The Holy Spirit

I like the idea of a T.G. convent for the special ladies in the story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Melissa, I do like the

Melissa, I do like the concept this story of yours is presenting. Who knows if there are not convents like this some place in the world already, just really well hidden; or convents where some Nuns are biological males, but present as the females they consider themselves to be. God works in mysterious ways, and this could indeed be one of them. Jan

Interesting concept

Interesting concept, but I was really annoyed that you never got into the lives of the sisters - therein lies the interesting part of the story.

You know, I've met a transwoman who was once a professional football player and she looked pretty good. Likewise for an ex-professional wrestler. (The wrestler once had biceps which were bigger than my thighs! And I'm by no means a petite girl.) Another one who is something around 6'5" and she looks quite good - pretty even, even if she IS way out on the far end of the bell-curve size-wise.

While surgery has its limits, the only people I can imagine who would never at least reach plausibility are kind of funny-looking even for guys: Very large heads, very heavy skeletons. Time and getting down the testosterone do wonders for excessive muscularity, especially combined with a limited protein diet.

Bring on the Spirit

What a nice beginning to a story... can't wait to hear more because like Dr Gold I am interested in the individual more than the whole..... Although I do not agree with hiding from society, I do believe this would be a great place for the girls to find love and support in order to find the strength to navigate society, and not remain cloistered indefinitely.... I would be interested to see where this story progresses. Melissa captivate us with your literary powers and take us on the journey please.

Your Sister in Faith
Joanna Faith

Joanna Faith

Withdrawl as a solution.

Withdrawl as a solution for the masculine looking transgendered individual is indeed an interesting concept however I feel it it somewhat counter-productive in the struggle to het TG people accepted. I'm by no means feminine but the idea of 'hiding away' because of having a too masculine jawline seems to me to be flawed. If people do not meet us, how can they even learn about us and possibly conclude that we are not the spawn of Satan.
By contrast I attend transgendered awareness meetings out and about in the public domain and yes I do get the occasional surprised stares.
Unless we persevere however, we will always remain in the shadows.

However I still like to attend private gatherings where I can let myself 'act normally' as below.

Bev at Wild Passions.

Still I quite understand how large muscular men have a serious problem with the ridicule ans scorn poured upon them when they 'go out dressed'

I have every sympathy for them.

Beverly

bev_1.jpg

Dear Melissa, Go for it!

Your concept is original and potentially a great idea!

I wonder in how many 'Convents' of women, some would rather be male?

There are many proven cases of cruelty to children in convent schools, seems to me the odds are that there were a few males involved.
Given the proven number of priests across all religions who are paedophiles and rapists, I would expect for some of the Nuns to be supportive of their activities, and to be fair a lot who weren't but couldn't do anything about it.
To prove this point there is currently about to happen in Australia a Nun (Mary McKillop), soon to be Canonised/Sainted who in her early career was excommunicated by the pope for trying to expose one of these priests?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your convent concept could never be as bad some of the current Convents accepted in our society!

Good luck I'll look forward to more of your story.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

this convent is not religious

While the sisters of the CHS prefer to live according to the rules of a medieval convent, the CHS is not a religious organization, and in particular is not associated with the Catholic Church -- as Sister Serena made very clear. Whatever problems you have with the Catholic Church are not relevant to this story.

Cloistered houses (convents and monasteries) provided a way for people to "drop out" of feudal society and do their own thing. They served to preserve much of classical culture during the early medieval period (especially at Irish monasteries) and were hotbeds of art and poetry (especially "Goliard" poetry).