Warsop-13

Printer-friendly version

Warsop
A Gaby Fan-Fiction
by Stanman


Synopsis:With the Bond's moved to Germany, just what do the gang get up to back in Warsop? This story gives a shot at answering that very question!



From http://maddybell.com/Grottoes5.html

* * *

I saw Maggie and Mum off in a corner, talking. When they saw me, they stopped.

"Mum, what are you two talking about?"

"Your upcoming cook off with Seth, this Sunday."

"Oh. You're trying to see whether or not you can teach me how to make the bolognese sauce?"

"Yes, Maggie and I both have our own bolognese sauce. We just don't know which one is best for you to try."

"Because I burned the sauce the last time that I made any."

"Maddy, the only reason that you burned the last sauce is that you had it up too high. Once it's made, it needs to simmer, and was busy chatting with Sylvie about an appointment at the time."

"I know that now, Mum. But I got frantic when you weren't there to guide me. That's why I threw the pot into the sink where it came apart under the cold water."

"Maddy, when I saw what had happened, I almost grounded you, but when I saw how distraught you looked, I knew that you were punishing yourself. That's why we went to Mark and Spencer's for a replacement and more bolognese sauce items."

"I'm sorry for ruining your pot."

"That's alright, Pet. Accidents happen, and I should have been there as you were rushed."

But Mum! You were chatting with Sylvie. You know how seldom it is that you take time for yourself."

"Don't worry Mads, I make a mean bolognese sauce."

Maggie began to laugh, "Helen, don't you mean extra spicy?"

"MUM!"

"Last time you made any, we had to add plenty of water because it was so spicy and let it cook down a bit."

"Can I help it if the silly spices came out in a clump?"

"Hel, I DID tell you to shake them up, didn't I?"

"No. Mum. You didn't. You were chatting with Mrs. Benny from the Girl Guides."

"OK, I guess that we all have our bolognese story, except for John," giggled Mrs. Joyce.

"But I do," Daddy stated as he came up.

"Oh?"

"Yes, I've burnt more than one pan of sauce when we were having Spag Bol for tea," he chuckled.

"What recipe should I use?" I asked.

Maggie smiled at me, "I thought that you'd simply choose Carol's."

"Well, I would, but since you two were discussing the contest, why not see which is the best one for me to make."

"Maddy, I have more than one recipe for the sauce. Do you want to try them all?"

"No, Mum. I want to try you easiest recipe."

"That'd be the one I made while at the uni, then," she grinned.

"The one you made for our first spag bol meal?"

She hugged Daddy, "The same."

"Pumpkin, go with that recipe, it's a winner."

"What about Maggie and Helen's?"

"Do them all," advised Mum.

"Will I have the chef's to help me?"

"Yes, Helen and I will be there, as I am sure that your mother will be too."

"It is my kitchen."

"OK, let's get the groceries on the way to the museum," offered Dad.

* * *

We headed out to a museum after we gathered our prizes. I won Fifty pounds for the girls top spot, Helen twenty five and Josh fifty for boy's top spot with Hector from Bristol taking second.

It was kind of fun being up on the podium and trying to spot one of Mister Woods accomplices. He seemed to have a network of people who told him about the racing results of Aunt Jen Drew, and now me and Helen.

Drew had often wondered how he knew about his exploits, especially when Gaby was credited with the win. I knew that Gaby was credited thanks to Dianna Biggs from Grottoes.

She'd learned about Drew and knew the truth about Gaby, yet didn't use the information to hurt Dew. She chose to use his celebrity status to help boost sales of her business in a way that would also make biking more popular around Grottoes.

At first, Auntie Jen was reluctant to agree, but after talking to Erin and Mrs, C., she agreed to letting Drew race in America. I must admit that even though Drew raced as Gaby, he had the most fun during the trip to America, except for possibly during the cheer competition where Gaby stole the show.

I can't help but believe that was because of Drew's competitive spirit that has him doing his best to win. He inherited it from Auntie Jen, but Drew has proven to be just as competitive in any sport as he is in biking.

center>

* * *

We climbed into the camper and took off. Daddy had been ordered to stay out of Mum's kitchen and stay out whenever there was any cooking to be done. Daddy had a very bad habit of causing mayhem in the kitchen whenever food was prepared.

The museum was in an old castle that had been renovated recently by the local government when it was found that it was a part of the legend of Camelot by virtue of once housing the Sword Excalibur.

Now the castle's employees dressed in period costumes and participated in different staged reenactments to bolster sales, but for Daddy's excitement, the also had an out building dedicated to the machines developed back then.

Mrs. Pearson was our Guide through the exhibit. She was dark skinned, like Samantha from Grottoes, but had a local accent that made her sound as if she would have been a maid back then. Her hair was done up in wavy curls that accentuated her long neck, making her perfect to portray the Princess.

Daddy was in his element as we toured the museum, letting him engross himself in vintage machines, he even liked to build scale models of things like catapults and other ancient machinery which made him a natural bike mechanic.

He had a lot of fun helping to build a catapult and purchased for himself a model catapult and dumbwaiter, getting a bit miffed when I mentioned that the house already had one that had been used as a part of the central air system.

Helen and I were wearing a pullover blouse and a denim skort with our tights and strappy sandals because we had gotten Daddy to take us shopping after the museum. I've tricked Drew into wearing stuff like this because I like wearing a skirt and tights.

Helen used to only wear tights in winter when it got cold, but when we began to stick together, she also chose to wear tights like I did. I must admit that ever since Helen and I started to stick together, my preoccupation with Drew has stopped.

Maggie was looking at an old sewing machine when it spewed oil on her blouse, "YUCK! WHAT A MESS! CAROL, YOU HAVE A SPARE BLOUSE?"

"Sorry, Maggie, I didn't think that we'd get messy. But there's the kid's spares."

Helen looked worried, "Mummy, the only thing that I have that'd fit you is my sweater."

Mrs. Pearson, came over wearing a red blazer, white blouse, navy skirt, "Miss Joyce, we can let you borrow one of our uniforms minus the museum patches."

"Thanks, but I want to buy them, that way I won't have to remember to return them."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am quite forgetful about mailing things," she blushed.

"Come with me and get your new purchase, please."

As Mrs. Joyce left with Mrs. Pearson, Helen started to sniffle.

"Helen, Dear. Why are you crying?"

"It's Mummy. She is as bad about not posting letters as Drew is about not packing spares."

"She can't be THAT bad, can she?"

"She is, Daddy Peters. I have to make sure that our letters are posted."

"I bet it's caused a few ruffled feathers, too."

"Yes, the last time was just before Daddy died, Mads."

Mum hugged her, "Helen, if it'll cause you pain, you don't need to tell us," she looked right at me. "Right, Maddy?"

"Right, Mummy." She knew that I would have pestered Helen until she spoke if she didn't get my promise. I wanted to know, but I cared too much for Helen to hurt her like that.

Helen smiled tearfully, "It's alright, Auntie Carol. It's a good memory of Daddy and Mum."

Marge nodded, "Go ahead, Helen."

center>

* * *

"We were getting ready to go on a holiday cruise for my summer hols and Mummy had forgotten to confirm our booking on the ship. But Daddy had confirmed them through the company's Personnel Manager, but hadn't told us. When we got to the ship, Mummy suddenly shouted, 'I forgot to book us."

"Then Daddy told her that he'd already had it done, but forgot to tell her.
Mummy was red faced after that and tried to do better after that," she sighed.

center>

* * *

We were at the camper now and got in. Daddy and Mummy were up front with me, Hel and Marge in the back. They talked about Mister Joyce while we listened. It was very easy to see how much they missed him and how both aw a lot of Daddy in him.

As they talked about him, they thanked us for being their friends which made me blush. When I first met Helen, I had treated her badly, seeing her as a rival for Drew's affection. Then with Drew moving away, Helen and I grew closer. How was I to know how much fun that we'd have?

* * *

We got out at Tenneco and went our separate ways. Daddy headed over to the Men's area and picked out some things for himself. This was the first time that I'd had actually seen him do anything of the sort, Mum usually handled such things.

He got himself some smellies and shaving stuff as well as briefs and under shirts. When he saw me looking at him at the check out, Daddy smiled at me, "Bet you've never thought that I do my own shopping, right Princess?"

"Well, Mummy usually has to tell you where your new things are," I confessed.

"That's because she puts things away when I dump them on the bed, and most of the time she does my shopping for me."

"Daddy, sometimes I feel as if we're both taking advantage of her," I sighed.

"Why?"

"Because of Helen and Maggie. Before I met up with Helen, Mummy didn't really have a close friend except for Auntie Jen, and she's off in Germany."

Daddy looked me in the eye, "Do you think that ANYBODY could run roughshod over her?"

"No, but...."

"Maddy, your Mum loves doing what she does. She could easily have chosen to be a secretary, but like your Gran, she chose to stay home and be a mummy. Your Aunt Jen chose to be a mum after she got preggers with Julie. Otherwise, she'd have become a championship biker years ago. You know how things turned out for her, right?"

"Yeah, it's almost as if a series of books could be written about her," I admitted.

"Yes, but I was thinking that Drew would be the better main character with sides stories told by his friends."

You mean like about me and how I've dealt with Drew's absence?"

"Yes, and what about Grottoes or Rhod/Em?"

I smiled and hugged Daddy, "I don't know who'd buy or read those books, but I bet that they'd be fun to read."

"No doubt about that, Princess. Now that you've seen your dad shopping, are you going to do any?" he laughed.

"You bet! Bet'cha that I can find Drew one of those cars that he collects."

With that, I sauntered off to where the cars were located and found a model of the camper. It was almost an exact replica even the coloring; silver blue. I also found a model Passat the looked just like the one that Unca Dave traded away for their new car. I bought both for Drew, biker gloves for Auntie Jen, a book on archeology by Maddy Bell for Unca Dave and a model of her scooter for Julie

* * *

To Be Continued...

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stan, A nice "catch up"

Stan,
A nice "catch up" story and I love that you decided to do it. :) Jan