Catwalk Confidence - Part 33

Printer-friendly version
Catwalk Confidence
by Connie Alexander


Copyright  © 2010 Connie Alexander

You spend your entire life thinking you’re just like any other boy, when you suddenly find out you aren’t, trying to adjust can be difficult.

 


 

Interlude Part 32.2

“Welcome back to K-Teen, KTEN, 100.5–the best of the Bay’s Top 40 and that was Just A Beaver, singing his latest hit, I Love Aspen, I Love Pine.

“In our next non-stop hour we’ll hear from Miley Cyrus, Josh Holliday and newcomer Sarah Carerra with her song Intuition which is rocketing up the charts.

“But first from the station that just keeps on giving, it’s now time to draw for the winner of our Name the Superhero contest. The winner will receive two full passes to Comic Con to be held in San Diego later this summer.

“As a reminder, earlier this month young Alex Conners rescued the granddaughter of media mogul John Dempsey in a most spectacular fashion. The video of that rescue and the subsequent film of this remarkable young lady performing Parkour, that crazy running across rooftops sport, led a lot of people to compare her to a superhero. In that Parkour film she really does look like a young Wonder Woman and that in turn inspired this contest. If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out on YouTube.

“Anyway, you all have voted what you think Alex’s new superhero name should be. We’re drawing the name from right now and the winner of this contest will not only get these two full passes to the convention, but we’re trying real hard to see if we can’t also get a picture of the winner and Alex together.

“Our people are talking to her people about that. And yes, she has people, they’re called Mom and Dad and boy are they a tough sell.

“We got quite the response to this contest and would like to thank everyone who sent in their entry. So without further ado, the winning superhero name is ‘Catwalk’ submitted by listener, Larry Morse.

“Congratulations, Larry. You have fifteen minutes to call in before we draw a second name.

“Thank you all who participated, and now a word from our sponsors.”

Part 33

Journal Entry: May 29th

Okay. This is going to be a quick entry but I needed some way to get this anger out of my system and you my dear Journal are it.

You see, I’m just pissed off and tired of everyone either trying to shelter me from something, or tricking me into doing something, or just plain playing these games with me. Now I’ll admit that sometimes a bit of trickery may be the easiest way to get me on board with something, but damn it I want a say in my life!

Now I’m sure that you’re scratching your head wondering just what in the heck I’m talking about. Well I just found out that for lunch I have to be at some event for the Twins’ scouts and it’s a good thing that no one in this family can lie worth a damn or I wouldn’t have found out that this is for some award thing in my honor and that the press will be there. UGH!

No one asked me if this was something I wanted and if I hadn’t ferreted out that this was more than just a family pre-jamboree get together, then I would have been caught totally flat-footed.

I am just so pissed! I am so tired of all the games and tricks and I guess that this was just the last straw. I really laid into everyone, maybe a bit too much, but I’m not going to apologize. At least not for this getting me upset.

Now I was sorely tempted to tell everyone that there was no way I was going, but then I started to feel guilty for disappointing people and ARGH! Why do I have to be like this? How come I can’t tell people, ‘no’ and have it stick? I am such a pushover. {Insert primal scream here!}

There’s a song in the show, Oklahoma, that’s about a girl that just can’t say no. That’s my theme song apparently.

I’m just a girl who cain’t say no
I’m in a terrible fix
I always say come on let’s go
Jist when I orta say nix

Crap. This is so unfair.

There, venting done. I’ll write more later.

End Journal Entry

***

I’m standing in front of my closet in my underwear trying to figure out just what I am going to wear to this blasted scouting event when someone knocks on my door.

“Yes?”

Mom sticks her head in the room and asks, “Is it safe to come in now?”

“That depends on if there are going to be any more surprises. This really is getting to me, Mom.”

“I know, honey and I’m sorry. I guess your father and I have been as guilty as any for treating you like that. Forgive us?”

I just can’t stay mad at my family. I smile and say, “Only if you help me figure out what to wear to this damned thing.”

“Sure, honey, just watch your language,” Mom replies, smiling.

“Oops, sorry. Anyway, I guess I should wear a dress, but I just can’t figure out which one.”

“Well, how about your navy wrap dress and your navy pumps? That would look very nice.”

“Okay, thanks.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie. Now in the interest of full disclosure, I want to make sure you know everything I do about what’s going to happen today.

“First, the scouts are going to give you an award for what you did, then the Red Cross is going to give you something and Elizabeth and the Dempseys will be there, too. Since this is kind of a big deal, there will be some press there but they’ll only have a couple of questions plus they’ll want to get some pictures of you and Elizabeth together.

“After all of this, we’ll all come back here. Okay?”

“No, not okay, but I guess I have no choice. I don’t really feel comfortable getting some award. I just did what anyone would have done.”

Mom comes over and gives me a hug.

“But not just anyone did it, honey. And your attitude makes me very proud. Now finish up dressing, we’ll be leaving shortly.”

“Okay, Mom, thanks.”

***

There are several scout troops in our area and prior to the big summer jamboree, they all go in together to rent a hall to have a family get together. As we pull into the parking lot and I see all of the cars that are there, plus several TV news trucks, well my anxiety level shoots through the roof.

“Um, guys? I think I’ll just wait for you all here.”

“Hey, sis, it’s okay. It’ll be over before you know it.”

“Oh geeze, guys, I really hate this. Do I look okay?”

“‘Does she look okay?’ she asks. Alex, we could have dressed you in burlap and dragged you here behind the car and you’d still look great. You’re just fine. Try to relax, okay?”

“Yeah, easy for you to say. Hey, that’s an idea, why don’t you get up in front of everyone in my place?”

“’Cause you’re the one being honored today, not me. Come on, you’re with friends and family. It will be okay.”

“Okay, but if I faint, I’m going to land on you.”

Once inside, we’re greeted by just about everybody and shown to our table in the front near the head tables and the lectern. Great, nowhere to hide here. Fortunately the rest of the twins’ troop is at the surrounding tables so there are some familiar faces around. Some of the faces are bordering on leering but at least they’re familiar.

What is it about pre-teen and teenage boys? Wave anything remotely female in front of them and ‘BAM’ they start drooling and doing the whole nudge, nudge, wink, wink thing. Both Ellen and even Mom are getting the looks, too. Where’s a bucket of cold water when you need one?

As I was sitting down, trying to look invisible, I was also trying to see if I could spot the Dempseys and Elizabeth–no luck though.

We all eventually settle down and take our seats. The various troops go through their presentations of awards and promotions until it’s the twins’ troop’s turn.

Their scoutmaster goes up and they do their awards and promotions then it looks like it’s my turn. Several additional people go up to the lectern and our scoutmaster starts talking.

“Now not too long ago, our troop was scheduled to do our water rescue and Red Cross CPR training at the local pool, but because of circumstances beyond our control, the pool had to close.

“Now everyone here knows how difficult it can be to reschedule something like that, but fortunately Mrs. Conners, the mother of two of our scouts, Mark and Bill, graciously offered the use of their pool to do the training in. We quickly accepted and we were even able to get Bill and Mark’s sister to assist as we needed an extra body to fill out the training teams. Everything went smoothly and our scouts got their merit badges and their Red Cross certifications.

“Little did we all know that the training we just went through would be put to use so quickly. Within twenty-four hours, Bill and Mark’s sisters, Ellen and Alex were walking down by the marina, when Alex saw a little girl by the name of Elizabeth Morgan fall off a boat and into the water.

“Without hesitation, Alex rushed to her rescue and after several tense moments was able to not only rescue this little girl from drowning, but get her breathing again and keep her well until the paramedics could arrive at the scene.

“Once Alex was assured that Elizabeth was fine, she collapsed with what turned out to be a ruptured appendix.

“Alex’s selfless acts are in the highest honor of the Scouts and it is therefore my pleasure to make Alex an honorary member of the Scouts and of Troop 479. Alex, would you please come forward?”

Blushing furiously, I get up and make my way to the lectern to receive my certificate. There’s a ton of applause and camera flashes going off.

I’m about to turn and go back to my seat after getting the certificate when the scoutmaster says, “Oh we’re not done with you yet. Now that you’re a scout, I’d like to introduce Bill Masters, the national chairman for the Scouts. Bill?”

Another man comes up and says, “Thank you, John and thank you, Alex for your quick thinking and representing the ideals that the Scouts strive for.

“It is now my honor to present you with the Medal of Honor. This medal is presented to Scouts who have shown courage in saving and attempting to save the lives of others with personal risk to their own. We believe that you more than qualify for this.”

Amid more applause, he pins a medal to my dress. I thank him and shake his hand.

As things begin to settle down, I’m told again that there’s more to come.

Shelia Allen from the local chapter of the Red Cross is introduced and comes up to the lectern. I’m still standing there, and I’m sure I’m glowing bright red from embarrassment.

“Alex is the ultimate example for someone caring for the welfare of another,” says Ms. Allen. “We’re grateful for her swift actions that averted what could have been a tragedy. It is therefore my great privilege to present her with this Certificate of Merit. Thank you, Alex.”

The scoutmaster gets back to the microphone and says, “We just have one more presentation for you, Alex, before you disappear.”

From the back of the room I see the Dempseys and with them is Elizabeth holding a bouquet of flowers.

I am suddenly overwhelmed with emotion from seeing her. As Elizabeth starts to walk forward I come around the lectern and when Elizabeth sees me fully, she drops the flowers and runs towards me. I drop to my knees and soon we’re hugging. Everyone else is forgotten for the moment.

When I become aware of my surroundings again, I notice that everyone is on their feet clapping. Flashes are going off and there’s a TV camera nearby filming us.

Elizabeth won’t let go of my neck and quite frankly I really don’t want to let go of her right now, either. It’s so nice to see this beautiful little girl safe.

I look up and there are the Dempseys smiling down at us. Mr. Dempsey has the bouquet of flowers in his hand.

I stand up, taking Elizabeth with me, and with my free arm I give the Dempseys a hug.

When the applause dies down, everyone is looking at me expectantly and I realize that I’m expected to say something now.

“Thank you, thank you all. I really don’t know what to say, this is all so overwhelming for me. I don’t really think I deserve all this. The Red Cross trains people every day and through their training, people are saved everyday and they don’t get the recognition that I have, yet they deserve it no less.

“The Scouts do so much for so very many without the thanks I’ve received. Heck they can keep my brothers in line and that’s a miracle.

“The best recognition for what I’ve done isn’t the medal or certificates I’ve received. They’re very nice and I’ll cherish them, the best thing I could get is seeing this little girl here safe and sound. She’s so beautiful.”

I have to pause to stop the tears and regain control. “Thank you all again, thank you very much.”

“Miss Conners, Alex. Is this the first time you’ve met Elizabeth?” a reporter calls out.

“Yes it is. I’m looking forward to the time I actually get to see her face.”

Elizabeth has had her face buried in my neck since we met and she doesn’t look like she’s going to let go anytime soon.

“Alex, what do you think of the winning superhero name they came up for you?”

“I’m afraid that ‘A’ I’m not really a superhero, and ‘B’ I haven’t heard what it is yet. What is it?”

“I heard that the winning name was, ‘Catwalk.’ What do you think?”

“I think the radio station had a lot of fun with that and congratulations to the winners.”

Inside I cringed, I couldn’t believe that I was now going to be followed around by this for years to come, yuck. At least it’s better than some of the names that were submitted. The questions continue for a few more minutes then we call an end to things so people can have their lunch.

I am more than grateful as Elizabeth is really getting heavy. I also really don’t like having all of the attention directed at me. We all go back to our table and Elizabeth sits on my lap. I finally have a chance to get a good look at her. She really is a beautiful little girl. She has long white-blonde hair and beautiful grey eyes and when she smiles, she has the cutest dimples. Needless to say we bond immediately and soon we are chattering away with each other.

***

With the noise level in the hall being pretty loud and everyone stopping by our table, we all could hardly think much less hold a conversation. So it is decided that we’ll all go back to our house except the twins who want to stay with their troop for a bit longer.

Elizabeth however, does not want to be separated from me. She holds on to me like a limpet, so I say that I’ll ride back with the Dempseys in their car.

The Dempseys have a limousine with a driver, so I make out in that deal. Once we get into the car, Elizabeth snuggles up to me and I put my arm around her.

“It looks like you’ve made a new friend,” says Mrs. Dempsey.

Smiling down at Elizabeth I reply, “So has she. Thank you so much for coming today. I really appreciate it.”

“It is our great pleasure, my dear, and the least we could do for our hero,” says Mr. Dempsey.

“What’s a ‘ero’?” asks Elizabeth.

“The word is ‘hero’, dear heart,” says Mrs. Dempsey. “It refers to someone who does something very brave and worthy of praise.”

“I really don’t think I’m a hero, ma’am.”

“You’re my hero,” says Elizabeth as she gives me a big hug.

“Alex, I believe you just lost that argument,” says a smiling Mr. Dempsey.

Smiling back I say, “I think you’re right, sir.”

In almost no time we’re pulling up to my house and we all go inside. I immediately excuse myself so I can go up to my room and change.

“Elizabeth, would you like to see my room?”

“Okay,” and she takes my hand and we go on upstairs.

Once in my room, I change into a pair of jeans and a nice blouse. Elizabeth is looking around at the posters on my wall.

“Who’s that?” she asks, pointing to some of my posters.

“Well, that’s Taylor Swift, and that one is Sarah Carerra, and that one is Miley Cyrus. They’re three of my favorite singers. Want to hear some of their music?”

“Sure.” So I plug my MP3 player in and turn it on.

“Is this your bear?”

“Yes it is. That’s Mr. Beau Jangles and he’s one of my best friends. Do you have a bear?”

“No, I have a dolly, her name is Samantha. She isn’t as big as your bear.”

Elizabeth pulls out my favorite book from my shelf. “That’s the story of The Velveteen Rabbit. Have you ever heard it before?”

“No, will you read it to me?”

“Sure, it’s one of my favorite stories.”

We climb up on my bed and with me holding Elizabeth and Elizabeth holding Beau, I begin the story of The Velveteen Rabbit.

***

I’m awakened later by a camera flash going off. Opening my eyes, I see Mom with her camera.

“Hey, honey, I couldn’t resist. That’s the type of photo you see on Hallmark cards. The two of you look great together.”

Wrapped in my arms with her head resting on my chest is Elizabeth.

“She’s so beautiful. Mom, did holding us make you feel all gooey inside?”

Chuckling, Mom replies, “It still does. I think you’re going to make a wonderful mother some day.”

“Whoa, not me.”

“Well, not for a while yet, please, but yes, you. You’re very good with children and they obviously love you. Elizabeth certainly does and I don’t think she’ll be the exception. Now, how about we wake up sleeping beauty there and go downstairs. Your brothers got home a little while ago and dinner will be ready in a bit.”

“Okay, Mom. Hey there, sleepyhead, time to wake up.” I gently shake Elizabeth and she opens her eyes. She looks up and smiling she hugs me tight and kisses me on the cheek.

I didn’t think it was possible but my heart melts even more. Mom just gives me a knowing chuckle.

“Come on, you two. You’ve both had a nice little nap but you need to get up and join the rest of us. Now scurry into the bathroom and freshen up.”

So we do as Mom says and Elizabeth and I soon rejoin her and head downstairs.

“Honey, I know you got upset earlier about surprises and I know we promised that there wouldn’t be any more, but I’m afraid that sometimes they just can’t be helped.”

I turn to Mom just as we get downstairs. “Mom, what are you talking about?”

Mom turns me to the family room.

“SURPRISE! Happy Birthday, Alex!”

There in the family room are the Dempseys and all my family, along with a whole bunch of balloons.

“A party, a party!” shouts Elizabeth.

I say, “Oh you guys. I should tell you that you shouldn’t have but instead I’ll just say ‘it’s about time’!”

“Well come on, sis” says Ellen, “Take a seat so we can get this show on the road.”

I go over and sit on the couch and Elizabeth is running around playing with all of the balloons. I think she thinks that this party is for her.

There’s a pile of presents on the coffee table and my fingers begin to itch wanting to tear into them. Ellen chuckles at seeing my reaction. She’s as bad as I am when it comes to opening presents.

After everyone gets settled, which includes Elizabeth being right next to me to be my official present opener, the twins come forward.

“Here Alex...”

“...open ours first.”

“Let me open it, let me,” says Elizabeth.

So Elizabeth rips the paper off and hands me the small box.

Inside the box is a set of beautifully enameled earrings.

“Guys, this is so nice.”

“They’re miniature copies of...”

“...our water rescue merit badge.”

“They’re beautiful, guys, thank you.”

“Okay, mine next,” says Ellen.

Ellen moves a stack of boxes in front of Elizabeth and says, “Okay, Elizabeth, just one at a time.”

Inside the first box is a variety of what I think are hose. Ellen soon corrects me.

“They’re stockings. They are called ‘hold-ups’ or ‘stay-ups’ and you are going to like them a whole lot more than regular hose. Just be careful with them as they are more delicate than normal hose.”

“Wow, sis, these feel real nice.”

“Okay, now the next box.”

Ellen is as excited as I am over these presents.

I giggle and Elizabeth, aka the Shred-O-Matic, soon has the next box relieved of its wrapping paper.

Inside this one is a variety of very nice bras and panties. I can’t wait to check all of them out, but that will have to wait. The twins would freak out and well with everyone here...never mind.

The third and last box has a set of beautiful pale-pink silk pajamas with a mandarin collar.

“Oh, Ellen, thank you so much. These, everything, are so wonderful.” And I give Ellen a huge hug.

Our hug is interrupted by Elizabeth saying there’s more presents to unwrap.

The next present is from Mom.

Elizabeth is only slightly slowed down by the ribbon on this one but soon has the box stripped of its wrapping paper, too.

“My own cell phone! This is so great!”

“Well, your father and I felt that it was time you had one.”

“Thanks, guys.”

“Here’s another, here’s another. Can I open it?” says Elizabeth.

“Hey, it’s from Robbyn, it finally got here,” I say.

In a cloud of confetti, Elizabeth hands me the box. Inside is a large plain yellow tee shirt with block printing on the back that says, ‘My best friend goes to Europe and all she sent me was this stupid shirt.’ She is such a goof. I sure wish she was here.

“Here’s another,” says Elizabeth.

This one is from Mom and Dad together. Once the wrapping paper has been magically rendered down to its molecular parts, I open it up.

“They’re yoga exercise clothing. We thought they would be more comfortable for you when you exercise.”

“Wow, Mom, Dad, these are really nice. Thank you.”

I look around and that’s it. That’s it?

Dad comes over and hands me a small and a large envelope.

“Here you go, honey, open the small one first.”

I do and inside is a gift certificate for two for the day spa that Mom, Ellen and I went to–very cool.

I open the large envelope and inside is my birth certificate. Only this is a new one and it now reads ‘Alexandra Olivia Conners’.

My eyes are tearing up. “Olivia?”

“Well, had your father and I known you were a girl when you were born, that’s the name we would have given you. It was your grandmother’s name. Is it all right?”

Crying I get up and give my Mom and Dad a huge hug.

“It’s perfect, thank you, Dad, thank you, Mom. You guys are the best.”

I sit back down and am showing my new birth certificate to Ellen when Mr. Dempsey clears his throat.

“Alex, we wanted to thank you for including us in your birthday celebration.”

“I’m glad you guys are here. We haven’t known each other long, but it feels like we have. Does that make sense?”

“Perfect sense and we feel the same way about you and all of your family. I understand that you’re a fan of Sarah Carerra?”

“Yes sir, very much so.”

“Well, we made some calls, and we understand that in about two weeks she may be on the Tonight Show. Now it’s not certain yet, but if she is, would you like to be our guest? It would be our present to you.”

“Really? Oh my god that would be so cool! Thank you so much.”

“It’s our pleasure.”

Mom then says, “Honey, you have one more present.”

Looking around I don’t see any more. At that point, the doorbell rings.

“That should be it. Why don’t you go answer it?”

Shrugging my shoulders, I head up to answer the door.

When I open it, I’m sure my scream can be heard all over the state.

“ROBBYN!”

up
346 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Break Time

First thank you all for submitting names. I entered all names in a random number generator and that’s how it got picked. No really. I was totally surprised. Nice choice though. :)

Wow, thirty-three chapters and almost 103,000 words! When I started this story my intention was this to be a quick little story. Now 33 chapters later there is still no end in sight.

I am truly stunned by the reception this has gotten. It’s been 100%, ok 99% positive and I get a warm glow when I see that so many enjoy this tale. All the positive feedback and even the negative feedback only inspires me to continue this story and to try to improve it with every posting.

However, even though this story isn’t over with, I’m afraid that I need to take a little break. Now don’t worry, Part 34 is fully written and I promise that in just a few short weeks, I’ll be posting Catwalk again. It’s just that the end of Part 33 was more of a natural stopping point than after Part 34. After all, in Part 34 Alex will. . . .hmm, maybe I’ll leave it there. After all I’ll want something to draw you back. :)

Right now I am only done with Part 34. I need to build up some more of the story. After all, Robbyn is now back on the scene, at least for a little while, and you know that things won’t be quiet with her around. Then in the fall, Alex will be starting school and if you think there isn’t going to be any more Parkour, well you’d be wrong.

Also, as many of you have surmised, Alex may have some modeling in her future. How the heck is that going to happen? She’s super shy and has already said no to her sister.
So you see, there’s tons more going on and what I just mentioned just scratches the surface.

So why the break? Well, as I said, I do want to build up my buffer on this story again, this shoulder trouble of mine has really slowed me down. I also have a couple of other stories that have been simmering on the back burner and I want to get them out before my head explodes. One of the stories is for the All Hallows Eve contest.

Then there’s real life. I need to let this shoulder finish healing and I’m trying to sell the house and move back home to Colorado. Turns out I’m not an east coast kind of girl.
I’m not going away from this wonderful site and before you know it I’ll be publishing Catwalk again.

I also want to take this opportunity to say ‘thank you’ to all of you. Yes, even you there in the back staring out the window. Yes you. I am fast approaching my one year anniversary as a member on this site and I just love this place.

You’ve made me feel very welcome, thank you again.

Love to you all,
Connie

[email protected]

No! Thank you Connie

I have loved your work from the beginning, and I'm sure to the end.

This is a lovely story which has it all and has certainly made me shed a tear in joy.

Thanks again, have a great break?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Whatever the reason's

for the break (and after 33 parts you certainly deserve it ) Connie, You can be sure of one thing, I and many others will be looking forward to the return of Catwalk Confidence and reading all about the little goodies you promise above...

Thank you for the story so far its been a joy to read, The characters are so well drawn i almost feel like they are my friends as well....

Take care on your break, Get that shoulder better, And good luck with selling your house...Hope to read more of your work soon....But until then please have a good rest...

Hugs Kirri

I win! I win! But...

... you just picked some guy and gave him credit! Hmph.

Ah well. Glad I could help.

There were 8 entries of Catwalk

I randomized then used a name generator. Catwalk was picked on the first try and the name took five attempts to get something that resembled something normal.

:)

luv,

Connie

Thanks Connie,

ALISON

'this has been a great story from day one.But this latest posting shows that you bought one of those Kleenex Franchises from Andrea.Just loved it! Hope your move goes well.

ALISON

The Velveteen Rabbit...

...by Margery Williams (read it here) is a brilliant story IMHO.

It has a great section about what it means to be real:

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

Thanks Connie, really enjoyed this installment, including the return of Robbyn. I hope it won't be too long before Catwalk Confidence returns too.

Positive Support


Bike Resources

One of my all time favorites

My daughters are nine and they love it too. About once a month they still request a bedtime reading of it.

The section above I've always liked: "But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Although I myself find it hard to live up to, I've still always felt that "Real" was being yourself. At least on a more existential level.

In any case I love the story and the hope it shows.

Love,

Connie the romantic

Real

Being oneself is part of being Real, I think, or more accurately, being the self that is Real is part of being Real. In totality, though, I suspect the question is on the order of "What does it feel like to be a girl?" or "What does it mean to be a hero?" in that the answer is complicated, not completely answerable, and is different for each person who asks it.

That said, if you ever feel like playing a little head game with someone who loves this story, and asks for frequent re-reads, you might slip in the story of The Velveeta Rabbit instead. See how long it takes them to catch the difference. (About 3 minutes for the daughter of one of my friends; now she alternates more-or-less between asking for one or the other ^^; Her younger brother, at 6, prefers this version; we don't let him pick >.< )

-Liz

Successor to the LToC

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Except for one bit...

Except for one bit, I really enjoyed this (& the episodes leading up to this.

What could I possibly have a problem with, you may ask? *sighs* Sadly, it's the Boy Scouts. Oh, a local troop may well try to honor a girl this way, but I can't see the national organization bending enough to allow it, much less provide one of scouting's highest honors. *sighs* Had it been an Explorer post, maybe.

(Before anyone jumps on me about this - Yes, I earned my Eagle, with several "oak leaves", and was very active in scouting. I'm just very disappointed at how vigorously they've worked against Gay and Trans members/leaders at the national level. They've gone to court, and won the right to exclude both groups. Yes, a local group CAN to some extent ignore national, but not for something this visible.)

Interesting selection of "hero" names... I still think you've set things up to let Alex end up on the catwalk modeling Ellen's designs. :-)

Thanks,
Anne

Scouting

I never made it to Eagle, I was asked to leave before I got it. Why? A couple reasons, one religious, the other the perception that I was gay. *sigh*

The concept of the Boy Scouts I really like, the practicality of what they are is something else. That is why I've been very careful is referring to the 'Scouts' not the Boy Scouts. A subtle difference but an important one to me.

As to setting up Alex.....you betcha! Every chance I get or she'll wiggle out of it. We'll have to see who wins, me or her. :) That's not a forgone conclusion as I've lost a couple battles already. :)

Luv,

Connie

I agree on the Scouts .... for the most part

The core concepts, the ideals are hard to dislike. It's in the details, in the execution that it falls short but then their ideals are so high.

As an Eagle Scout -- 1973 -- I had good and bad experiences but that was true of the YMCA and school. People are people and some are great, some are jerks and most are somewhere in between. My parents objected to the religious requirements for Eagle but we found an acceptable work around. Thankfully our troop avoided the excessive military tone of some troops and we usually had a good time camping and all.

I like to think of the Scouts in this story as Scouting close to the better of its core values, Scouting as it could and can be. And yes at that age we were hormone crazed junior perverts -- snicker -- The sight of an attractive girl/woman has those tent pegs up and saluting in no time.

As to our heroine, I think she had it right when she remembered the song from Oklahoma, I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No. One hopes she avoids the bun in the oven shotgun wedding of that character. I think she is coming to realize she IS a legitimate public figure and a heroine at least in other's eyes and in that of those who love her. She was a quiet but kind boy as a girl she is even more so. She would never hurt a friend thus she WILL model for her sister, the collage fashion designer and if sis is any good she may well become a pro model full or part-time. That is if the sporting world or Hollywood doesn't snap her up first. Alex may be off to a later start as a girl/a young woman than her contemporaries but she is among the very top in looks, athleticism and brains. She will succeed if she tries.

She has all the instincts and maybe the skills too of an actress or press spokesperson. She hated attending the awards banquet but acted, spoke and carried on perfectly. Her reaction to little Elizabeth was honest, heart rendering and oh so photogenic. The press will eat it up. This is no phony. Alex is a real as it gets. That the media mogul couple knows all about Alex being thought to be a boy until recently yet accepts her as a woman and the heroine of the grandchild tells me they will be in Alex's life for the long hall and for her betterment. I feel Elizabeth will become a lifeloong frinds and supporter asnd likely in Alex's wedding party as I see the lure of motherhood is strong in Alex. What a fine mother and mentor to younger kids she will be. Maybe she will end up a teacher?

If she should chose to try and make it in entertainment, the media or sports the media mogul's can open many doors for her. She will need to prove her worth but that insiders edge is their if she needs it. Think of the late Will Rogers, the great comic and actor of the first third of the 20th Century. It was William Randolph Hearst who opened many doors for him when he nearly died while escorting a trainload of animals to San Simion. There are other examples I'm sure .

She suffered from the isolation of her frequent moves, the home schooling and gender mis identification. She had very few real or close friends until Robbyn, Now that has all changed and she is blossoming explosively. It is good she is basically shy and modest. That and her good core of friends should keep her from the destructive excesses so many celebs seem to fall prey to.

I see her getting back into Parkour, she is clearly getting back in shape for it. I also am eager to see what the reaction in school will be to her. Sometimes being a celeb is not an easy thing and she lacks some of the social skills and experience of a child, a young woman her age. Robbyn being back is wonderful but is it for a few days, the rest of summer or long term? She needs a trustworthy friend/mentor her age to keep her sane and centered. And will the true story of her mistaken boyhood past ever leak out? The Sarah Carerra tie in is nice and I wish you well with it. LOVED what you did to The Bever, um Bieber.

Take the time you need and thanks again for a great tale.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Scouts

Interestingly enough, in the UK there's no separate concepts of "Boy Scouts" and "Girl Scouts" - both genders are free to enter the Scouts - all the way up from Beavers, through Cubs and Scouts to Explorer and Venture Scouts.

The more traditional female route is through the Guides movement - Rainbows / Brownies / Guides (you'll probably have to Google to find the latest uniform - they change it every few years in a desperate attempt to boost popularity). And that is strictly girls only - someone even tried to take them to court once on gender discrimination but their case was rejected.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Well, Finally!

I have been waiting for Robbyn to show up again! Alex really needed to see her again.
This was a great chapter. I can't wait to see Sarah make an appearance, but the meeting with Alex and Elizabeth was priceless. This is such a good story!

Wren

Great Story

I have really enjoyed reading your story. Enjoy your break and I hope that you can accomplish all that you want during it.Looking forward to more when you're ready.
Amy

Alex Is Able To See The Big Picture!

jengrl's picture

Alex is able to see the big picture. Above all the accolades and awards,knowing Elizabeth will have life is the most priceless treasure she can ever receive as her reward. I would love to see the Dempsey's ask her to be Elizabeth's Godmother. I don't think that would be a reward she would refuse. They are already well on their way to being practically inseparable! I know I am not saying anything that hasn't been said by others, but I absolutely LOVE this story and I will be waiting for the next wonderful episode to appear!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Awwwwww.

Renee_Heart2's picture

I can understqnd Alix's nurvousness & her frustration & it ends well fro Alix when her best friend shows up, her new birth certificit, and everything what a shock Alix will get when Sarha colapses on stage (sorry for the spoiler for you all who have not read Sarha Carerra yeat please do so it is a lot like this stroy. [There is a plug for your story Megan lol]). I hope things get better for Alix now that some things are taken care of but her life is still going to be complicated.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Be careful what you wish for...

You just might get it... *Trying hard not to crack a smile*
...And like it! *Grins helplessly* Heh.

In a cloud of confetti, Elizabeth hands me the box. Inside is a large plain yellow tee shirt with block printing on the back that says 'My best friend goes to Europe and all she sent me was this stupid shirt". She is such a goof. I sure wish she was here.

And, lo and behold (once the ringing in your ears subsides ;) ), ROBBYN!!! ^_^

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Catwalk Confidence - Part 33

Notice that her superhero name comes from the story's title.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Very nice

It's rare to find a well written, believable TG story where the main character is interesting aside from the TG issues.

re: story

heartwarming. what a wonderful story. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Beautiful

Every single chapter you write, Connie, is so full of life and emotion. I can't get enough of it. Whether we see more of Alex and Catwalk Confidence or something else entirely, you will have a big fan in me.

A hiatus will no doubt be painful to live through, but it will be totally worth it when you start posting again. In the meantime, let that shoulder heal, do what you need to do with your move, and write what needs to come out of your head.

Also, I'm greedily anticipating seeing what happens at the Tonight Show now.

Hugs,
Megan

Aw! You finally bring

Aw! You finally bring Robbyn back, and it's right before taking a break?! Darn, now I have to wait to see more of her... ;)

Totally understand the desire for a buffer, it's something I've finally gotten working right now (at least for now, you never know). I'll eagerly await more of this great story. But other stories from you is good, too. :)

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Tears

I have been reading this story at work for about a week now. I am beginning to have trouble looking away from it.
I have to admint to tears when Alex and Elizabeth finally meet.
You really have an outstanding story here.

JoAnne Petti

JoAnne Petti