Today

Printer-friendly version

Today

for Kelly

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio


 

he reached across time and space to greet the two; greeting him as he embraced her, perhaps a soft touch once again from a rugged strong hand. his words spoke from a hallowed plain; simple and yet profound. forceful yet calm. a communion of sorts. for him as a kind mentor and loving friend never known yet his presence was felt. for her as a farewell; not a parting so much as a bestowal of blessing and love. sharing heart to heart as always while his presence would ebb even as his memory was growing stronger. til they'd meet again...

the first chance that enabled the second...similar and different at the same time...both loving and loved...

my heart weeps and laughs and revels in the love of a parent for a child and the one who has been entrusted....a privilege i never earned to participate...a grief over a loss i never felt and an ache over someone i never knew, but for what i had been blessed with in tale and story as he reached across time to touch my heart as well...

what can i say but that i am blessed beyond all measure to know someone like him, even if it's only through her heart...a joy that i experience from her laughter and smile...a deep ache and sadness conveyed not through knowledge but through tears and groans from the depths of her heart. a gift of friendship and fellowship from beyond my own life. and the other...the new...

what can i do but give thanks for being brought into this little family...the easing of pain by time and tide. the beginnings of new life and new birth that i may be like a midwife to in some small way by my prayers and my tears and my own laughter. a goodbye to one whom I feel confident I shall meet one day in joy and celebration while saying hello to another blessed man, like a parent to suitor... the mother to the new son who welcomes with open arms the one who brings her child great joy. may you all be blessed as supremely as I have been in walking in gladness with my dear one in her journey....


today
more blessed perhaps than any other day
a day of loss and sadness
remembrance of things past

but a day to reflect on second chances
of things beyond today that will last

before the second chance
came the one that was first
the one who blessed my dear one's heart
the wine who quenched her thirst

the old now giving way to new
but never e're forgotten
just more of what in life is true

a man for whom she weeps in joy
and with sadness in her heart
a love that time shall ne'er separate
a sweet affection shall ne'er depart

my heart is filled with song
for one I never knew
my life is filled with wonder
for his life that for hers was true

first chance gives way to second
the past gives way to the new
dear Kelly, sweet child
my prayers today for you

thank you!

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dear Kelly,

ALISON

'sweet child,I join Andrea in those prayers which only she could write.May your future be all that 'Drea
wishes for you.Much love and affection,Alison.

ALISON

OMG!!!

Thanks Mom for allowing me to be who I am and for permitting me to share openly and honestly with you. All of our lives are stories beyond belief to someone else and I am blessed with both you and Gram to listen when I need to be heard and for the tissues when I need to cry and for the good word when I need to hear one and for the truth...when I need to hear that. You are both in my heart forever.

Always Your...

Lil' Irish Brat

Today

So beautiful, and sweet.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine