All That Glitters Part-7

Printer-friendly version
All That Glitters -
Part Seven

by:
Enemyoffun

Mike Carter is the man about campus who lives life in the fast lane. He's quarterback of his college football team, well liked by the student population and quite a ladies man. But due to gambling, Mike has a money problem. To make ends meet he takes a job at as a security guard at a museum and things go down hill from there all thanks to a gold orb.

-----

Author's Note: Here's Chapter Seven. The action will pick up after this one but I felt it was necessary to tell this chapter first. I'm real excited about it too because I got to do something that I've wanted to do since starting the Retcons a while ago...so look for a very important cameo in this one. I can't say much more without spoiling it. I'd like to thank djkauf for the wonderful editing and Lilith for letting me me use this character. I also have to thank DC Comics for their wonderful characters.

-----

Chapter Seven:

After revealing her deep dark secret, Bea gave us the slip of paper and promised to explain everything after work. She told me and Skeets to meet her back at WE---that’s Wayne Enterprise, in case you’re wondering--- after seven, when she got out. So we wandered about a bit. I took Skeets sightseeing a bit and then to some of the shops. I didn’t have a lot of money but I had enough to do some browsing. I’m not going to bore you with all the gory details. But when I passed a woman‘s clothing story, the manager practically dragged me inside. I think she thought I was a model. She kept on asking me the name of my agency and if I had a portfolio, she could see. I tried to tell her I was just a civilian but she wouldn’t listen. She gave me her business card and told me to contact her as soon as possible.

Like that’d ever happen. After that, I took a taxi away from the shops. We went to the Lakeshore and I returned to the scene of the crime. It felt kind of weird walking the halls of the Field, especially during the day. Skeets stayed invisible while we wandered the halls. I went to all my favorite places. I even went by the Gem Hall and took a peek inside. I was kind of curious to see what the fake me took. It turned out it wasn’t the stone I would have picked. The blue stone was still there, resting on its little glass covered pedestal. It was a strange thing. The little plaque underneath said it was from Egypt, a replica of the one some pharaoh decorated all his things with.

After a couple of hours, I hopped in a cab and went back to WE. Bea was waiting outside for us. We went to a little diner down the street. We didn’t say anything until we ordered and even then I wasn’t sure what to say. I looked around to make sure there was no one nearby.

“So how long have you been a you know?” I asked as I dipped a fry in some ketchup.

She didn’t say anything at first. She took a sip of her drink and looked around the diner. I think she was just as nervous and just as cautious as me. After all, Metas weren’t exactly things you ran into on the street. We were a dime a dozen. Ok, so maybe I knew a little bit but it was hard not to. After all that Jade chick did talk about us when she announced to the world that we existed. I just never thought in a million years that I’d be one, too.

“It happened a couple of months ago,” she said in a soft tone. “I’m a business major at NU and I was interning at WE. I’d like to think I did a good job but there was always room for improvement. When the change happened, I was devastated. I kind of had my whole life ahead of me, you know. I had good grades, the perfect girlfriend and a job I liked to go to every day.”

“So you were a dude too?”

She nodded. “It seems to happen to a lot of us.”

“You’ve met others?”

“Just Doris and Jade.”

I was jealous. I’m not sure why but it was really cool. I wonder if they’d seek me out too. After all, I just started this whole new life. “Did you go to STAR Labs too?”

She shook her head. “They brought me up to some spaceship. They tried to recruit me into their little group but I wasn’t really interested. Jade seemed to respect my decision. She told me that if I ever changed my mind that she knew where to find me.”

This new revelation kind of shocked me. She had a cool power, why wouldn’t she want to help people. I ate a couple more fries, staring at the smoking hot chick across from me. It was hard to imagine that she was ever a dude. But then again when I looked in the mirror all I saw was a smoking hot chick too. The problem with her though, was that she was so damn good at being a chick. She walked like one and talked like one. I sniffed the air, smelling her flowery perfume. She even smelled like one. I wonder if it was ingrained in all of us now or if it was something we learned in time. I’m not sure if I liked the latter thought. I could see some things as a given but there was no way I was going to act all girly and giggle.

I asked a few more general questions but I didn’t want to pry. Clearly, she felt brave enough to reveal herself to me but not brave enough to tell me about her life. There were a few things I needed to k now, though.

“So that night in the bar, you really weren’t interested in me?”

She took another sip of her drink. Her salad still sat untouched on her plate.

“It's complicated,” she said finally, trying not to make eye contact.

I smiled. “So you were interested?”

She didn’t say anything but she didn’t need to. If I had been my male self, I would have been ecstatic but my new self felt kind of ashamed. Suddenly I knew why she was so standoffish and I understood. I think I was going through the same problem with Rick. I’m not saying I was interested in him, but I had feelings. They were strange feelings. Looking around the room, there were only three or four people besides us, two of which worked here. The other two were a pair of overweight middle aged truckers. One of them was eyeing us and it creeped me out. For the first time in my life, my skin crawled and I knew exactly how a hot chick felt.

I looked at Bea, seeing the tears started to well in the corner of her eyes. I bit my lip. I needed to change the subject and fast. I looked down at the slip of paper sitting off to the side. It had the information I asked her to get for me.

“So, do you want to go there with me?”

She looked at the paper and sighed. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

“C’mon, I think it would be fun.”

Ok, so I was lying. The only reason I wanted to go was because I needed to get to the bottom of this. It’s kind of freaky that a man who wants to be a Senator also runs and owns one of the more raunchier nightclubs in town. I’d only been in The 1000’s once before but it was definitely the place to be. I took a couple hot young things there after a game once. Of course, yours truly didn’t have to wait in line like everyone else. It was a booming place with great music, lots of sexy dancing and one of the best mixers in the city. It had atmosphere too and these scantily clad waitresses that any guy would love to bang.

I inwardly shuddered at that thought.

“I can’t get any more involved in this than I already am,” she said, finally picking up a fork and digging into her salad. She took a few bites. “You should drop it too. Your old life is over. Mike Carter doesn’t exist anymore; let them drag his name through the mud all they want.”

She was right in a way. But my ego wouldn’t allow it to rest. “I can’t. They’re still looking for me, I owe them money. They’re going to continue to pull this shit until I give it to them or until I stop it.”

She sighed. “Ballard is dangerous. He’s destroyed people a lot more important than you.”

“I have to do this. He threatened my mother. He’s dragging me through the mud. I might not be Mike Carter anymore but I can’t let him do this to me.”

“He’s trying to drag you out of hiding.”

I nodded. “Well it’s working.”

She ate a few more bites of her salad then looked at the paper again. She picked up her glass and took a small drink. Then she sighed heavily. “Ok, look I’ll go with you to the club but I’m not getting involved in the rest of your crap.”

I smiled big. I knew she wouldn’t let me down. “So when do we do this thing?”

She took a big sip. “Tomorrow night. I work early tomorrow but I have the next day off. If we’re going to do this then we’re going to have to make it a long night.”

I smiled real big at her. “Then it’s a date.”

She rolled her eyes. I picked up my glass and gently tapped it against her’s.

__________________________________

I gave her my cell phone number and walked with her to the curb.

“I’ll call you when I get out of work,” she said and then she did something I didn’t expect, she gave me hug.

You know what; it was kind of nice. I smiled as a cab pulled up and opened the door for her as she got inside. I waited until she closed the door and drove away before I flagged for my own. She lives in the opposite direction of me in case you’re wondering. Now too many people that I associate with live in the Tides, besides Rick of course. I suppose I won’t be living there any longer either. It’s kind of a drag but I understand why he did it. Senator Hunter is the kind of dick who likes to get his own way. The only reason I voted for him the last time was because his opponent was caught in a nasty scandal involving a boy scout---I’m not going to get into the details. Hunter wasn’t up for election for another year or so and if it meant Ballard was running against him, I guess I could deal with Hunter being in the Senate again.

I stuck my arm out, waving it up and down. It didn’t take long for a car to appear. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a cab. It was a blue sedan. I looked at the driver as it pulled up and groaned. What the hell did the Feds want now? I took a step back, wondering if I could run and get away with it. But how would that look, after all I was supposed to be cooperating with this guy. So instead, I smiled sweetly as he rolled down the passenger window.

“Miss Carter, fancy meeting you here” he said, not even trying to pretend to be surprised.

I inwardly groaned but outwardly, I feigned pleasantness. “Agent Broderick, are you stalking me?”

He smiled. “Guilty as charged” The lock on the door popped. “Hop in; I’ll give you a ride home.”

I groaned but how would it look if I refused. I looked around, wondering if there were witnesses. There were a couple of guys lingering against the building. One of them looked at me and gave me a kissy face. I shuddered and pulled open the door, hopping into the car. Broderick looked at me strangely, as I buckled up and slammed the door.

“I’m sorry I was a bit late, I could have given your friend Miss De Costa a ride home too.”

I sighed. “So you were spying on me?”

He shrugged. “I’m looking out for your welfare.”

“I don’t need to be protected.”

He laughed. “In this part of town, everyone does.”

He started the car and pulled away rather quickly. We drove slowly by the lingering guys. They made nasty gestures with their bodies and I gave them the finger. Please tell me I wasn’t that bad when I was a guy. I admit I was a cad but there was no way I scum like that. Except that one time with the roofie but I’ve apologized for that, right?

We drove along for a while, going slower than I would have liked. It also seemed that the jackass was driving around the block. What the hell was up with that?

“My apartment is in the other direction?”

“It’s not your apartment, it belongs to Mr. Hunter and if I’m not mistaken, he currently vacated it this afternoon.”

What the hell was this guy’s problem?

“I’m staying there until I can find another place. Rick is a good guy like that.”

“Rick, not Rip?”

I groaned. “What’s it to you?”

“Everyone calls him Rip, don’t they? Everyone except your brother. Where is your brother by the way?”

I shrugged. “How should I know?”

“I think you do know. That’s why you tried to run when you saw my face through the windshield. Mind you, if you had run, you wouldn’t have gotten very far.”

“Stop the car.”

He continued driving. He had a smug look on his face. “Your brother is playing a very dangerous game. I’m going to catch up with him; it’s only a matter of time.”

My heart started pounding. My palms were sweating. I wanted to scream but what would that accomplish. “Stop this car now or I’ll roll down the window and scream rape.”

He laughed and pulled over to the curb. I didn’t give him a chance to stop me. I unlocked the door and stumbled out. I got to my feet and looked around. The giant looming presence of Wayne Spire stood before me. There was a light on in the lobby. I took a deep breath and started walking toward it. Broderick got out of the car too and moved faster. He grabbed my arm and spun me around. I wish Skeets was here. Why in the hell did I send him home?

“It’s rude to run off in the middle of a conversation,” he said, squeezing my arm.

I gasped. “You’re hurting me.”

Tears started to swell in my eyes. I’d never felt this helpless in my life. If I had still been Mike, Federal Agent or not, I would have pounded his ass.

“Where’s your brother?” There was an edge to his voice and a demonic fire in his eyes.

I opened my mouth. But not to response, I was going to scream. The only thing that stopped me was the approach sound of a footfall. I snapped my head around and saw someone coming out of the building. He was walking at a brisk pace. He was tall with dark hair and an air of sophistication. He was a couple of years older than me---gorgeous too, not that I noticed. He approached quicker than I thought someone in an expensive suit could.

“There you are, sweetheart,” he said in a calm, friendly tone.

He walked over and took my arm, gently pulling it from Broderick’s vice like grip. Broderick’s eyes narrowed and he didn’t look to happy. I looked up at the guy---he was a couple inches taller than me. He had the most dazzling blue eyes ever, I could get lost in those eyes.

“This is a private conversation,” snapped Broderick.

The man smiled. “Nothing’s private when it takes place out on the street.”

He pulled me to stand by his side, putting a protective arm around my waist.

“Do you know this man, Miss Carter?” asked Broderick, puffing up like a peacock.

The man answered for me. “Of course she does. I’m Thomas Knight, the two of us met last night at a company party. You were a guest of Bea’s weren’t you?”

I’m not sure if he was asking or telling. But there was something in his voice that told me I should agree. So I smiled and nodded, wrapping my arm around his waist, albeit reluctantly. “Its good to see you again, Tommy.”

I kissed his cheek to throw in the added effect. Broderick looked like a deflated parade balloon.

His eyes narrowed. “You’re hindering in a federal investigation, Mr. Knight.”

“Really?" he looked down at me and then back at Broderick. “Miss Carter here hardly looks like a hardened criminal.”

Broderick grumbled. I think he knew he was out of his league. “I’ll be seeing you again, Miss Carter. You and I have some unfinished business.”

The stranger, Mr. Knight, smiled. “I don’t think you will but it’s nice to be all formal, isn’t it?”

Broderick grumbled again and slowly slunk back to his car. Mr. Knight stared at him while he got inside. He didn’t take his arm off my waist until the sedan pulled away. When he finally did, he ran his fingers through his slicked back hair.

I pulled away from him as quick as possible. “Thanks for the help, buddy.”

“It was my pleasure,” he said, tipping his head slightly. He looked about. “Let me have my butler drive you home, it’s the least I could do.”

I looked about and sure about there was old fashion Rolls Royce parked in the shadows. How had I not noticed it before? But more than that, who was this guy that he could afford such an expensive car and the butler to go with it?

“I couldn’t.”

He smiled and nodded. “Fair enough. Let me call you a cab then."

He whipped out his phone, faster than I could say no. He talked for a few seconds then snapped it shut. He smiled and informed me it would be here promptly. I kept staring at this guy and at the fancy car in the shadows. I could just make out a figure standing near it. It was an older man in a black suit. He was half obscured by shadows but he must have been the butler Mr. Knight mentioned.

“If Agent Broderick bothers you again I want you to call this number” Mr. Knight reached into his coat and took out a gray business card.

I took it gently and looked at it: Special Agent King Faraday, Homeland Security.

“Is this for real?”

Knight nodded. “He’s a good guy, owes me a few favors. One call to him and Broderick will be out of your hair.”

I smiled and nodded. “Thanks.”

The cab came remarkably quickly. Knight walked over and opened the door for me then he took my hand helping me inside. I’ve never had better service in my entire life.

“You look after yourself, Miss Carter and please stay out of trouble.”

I smiled and slipped inside as he shut the door. I watched him standing on the curb as the cab pulled away. I saw him walk slowly over to the Rolls Royce and disappear into the shadows. Something about the way he walked and disappeared like that sent a shiver up my spine.

The cab driver talked about football the whole ride home. He was a Bears fan and wondered what I thought of their chances next season. Seeing as they did fairly well I thought their chances were pretty good. But I didn’t tell him that. Usually all you’d have to do was mention football and I’d talk your ear off. But tonight I just listened to him yammer on about the Bears while I stared out the window. It was kind of strange but I didn’t feel in the mood to talk shop. I looked down at my chest and sighed. I wonder if my new body had anything to do with it. Imagine that, the Great Mike Carter bored with football. I suppose there are better things out there. If I’d thought that thought a couple of days ago I’d of probably punched myself.

It took about twenty minutes to get home. I went through the front entrance. The doorman didn’t bat an eye. I was marked down as a guest of Rick Hunter. I think he and the front desk guard thought Rick and I were an item. Neither of us tried to correct them. It was hard enough trying to explain to people who I was or who I was pretending to be at the moment. I suppose calling myself Myka Carter, Mike’s little sister worked only some of the time. The rest of the time was too hard to think about.

I trudged into the elevator and took it up to my floor. When I got to the room, the door was unlocked. That gave me pause. My heart started beating a little faster. Was it Ballard’s men looking for me or maybe that jackass Broderick? I took a deep breath and turned the knob. What I saw was neither. I sighed with relief but was a little shocked too. Rick was spread out on the couch, snoring like a baby. I smiled and looked at the clock, it was only nine. There was an open book lying face down on the floor and a spread of papers all over the place. I would have bet even money that he’d be half way to his parents’ place upstate by now.

I smiled as I tiptoed past him. Maybe Daddy doesn’t hold all the cards after all.

______________________________

“So how did it go?” asked Skeets as soon as I slipped into the bedroom.

I jumped; it was kind of jarring to be ambushed, especially when you weren’t expecting it. I groaned, putting a hand on my chest to stop my beating heart. I guess it’s going to take some time to get used to the fact that he would be floating around for awhile. I didn’t answer him at first though. Instead, I took off my coat and threw it over him, then walked over to my bed. He struggled a bit to free himself from the garment. But it gave me some time to pull off my sneakers and slip off my pants. I really needed to shower but I was too lazy to bother. So instead, I stripped off my shirt too, took off the offending bra and grabbed my jersey from the floor. Yeah I still had it and as long as I wouldn’t be wearing it on the field I mind as use it for something. Once I had the jersey on, I freed him of my coat, which I tossed on the floor with everything else. Yep I’m a slob, not even a gender change could fix that.

Skeets repeated the question. Great not only did I have an annoying gold robot but he also did a good parrot impersonation. “Ballard works out of a nightclub called the 1000's. Bea and I are going there tomorrow night to scope it out.”

"Excellent, what time do we leave?”

I sighed. “There is no we, it’s just me and Bea.”

Skeets made that sighing noise. “But you and I are a team.”
There he goes again. He said the same thing after I agreed to help him with his little mission. But I made it very clear that our “partnership” as he called it was a onetime thing. I didn’t need some freaky gold robot from the future floating about, cramping my style. Besides, I had enough problems without him annoying the hell out of me. I tried calling my mother after getting back from the Lab today but I got the machine. I definitely didn’t want to leave a message.

Could you imagine what that would have been like: “Hey Mom, it’s your son turned daughter. I have some good and bad news. The bad news is I won’t be able to play football anymore but the good news is I can pee sitting down now so you don’t have to bitch at me about leaving the toilet seat up.” I joke but I definitely need to talk to her to tell her what’s been happening.

But getting back to the team thing. “We’re not a team. I told you that before.”

He sighed, floating away toward the window. He did a lot of that.

“I understand. It’s hard, especially looking at you.” He turned to me; his red eye looked smaller than before. “You look just like her. Every time I look at you I half expect to hear her voice again. You may look alike but the two of you sound very different.”

I sighed. I guess it’s time to play Doctor Phil. “What was she like?”

He snorted or at least it sounded like one. “Nothing like you.”

“Thanks.”

“You misinterpret my meaning.” He floated over so he was only a foot away. “You may look alike but the similarities end there. Michelle…ummm…Goldstar, she was very goal oriented. She didn’t take time out of her day to do anything else but her job. It was the only thing that mattered to her. She and I were partners for five years. She was the top of her Academy graduation class, a sharp shooter and an expert investigator. There were a lot of people younger than her who wanted to be just like her. Goldstar was a star, an ace.”

I nodded. “Sounds like she didn’t have a social life”.

“Unfortunately you’re correct. As much as the two of you look alike, you are much more laid back than she. Not that that’s a bad thing but she would definitely not want to be around you.” He sighed and floated away. “She was always trying to live up to her childhood idol.”

“Her idol?”

“A superhero from your generation. She would go on and on about her. She did everything in her life to model herself after this person.”

I nodded. “What was her name?”

He was about to answer when there was a knock on my door. I snapped my fingers and he vanished into thin air. I took a deep breath and opened the door. Rick was standing there, his hair a disheveled mess, his clothes all rumpled. He looked pretty much the same except a lot groggier than usual. He scratched his head and yawned.

"I fell asleep waiting for you,” he admitted, I nodded. “Can we talk for a sec?”

I slipped out of my room, closing the door behind me. We walked into the living room. I took the couch, sitting crossed legged, making sure he didn’t get a peek off anything down below. Hey, I’m a girl now and I have to be modest. He sat in his chair. I looked around the room real quick, noticing a lack of boxes or suitcases. Maybe they were in his bedroom.

He took a deep breath and when he let it out it came out as a long sigh. “I need you to tell me to stay here.”

Great Doctor Phil Time Round 2. “What are you talking about?”

“You are a smart, beautiful, amazing girl and I’m the dumb idiot who can’t live without my Dad’s money.”

I groaned and blushed at the same time. Hey, you blush when you get complimented right. I don’t care if its from a guy or Rick. There was something wrong with me I know and the old me would have punched him in the face. But the new me, well I think she kind of liked being told she was pretty. Ok, he said beautiful, I guess I’m being modest. Ha, who would have thought I could be modest. I smiled weakly, inside my head a male voice was screaming.

“Do you want to leave?”

He shrugged. “I don’t have a choice.”

Typical Rick. “Of course, you do, dude. Don’t think about your Dad for a second. Think about you for a second. Do you really want to leave this place?”

He took some time to answer. I could tell he was thinking it over because he got that look. It used to annoy me before but now it was kind of cute. I groaned. What the hell was wrong with me? This was Rick; he was my best bud.

He came full circle with his response: “Do you want me to stay?”

Like a fricking broken record. “Stop worrying about what other people think and think for yourself.”

He ran his fingers through his hair and jumped out of the chair. He started to pace about the room. You know what; in all my ramblings I don’t think I ever described Rick. I might be a little biased with the description now but here goes. He’s not overly tall but he’s not short either. I was taller than him before but now we’re the same height so I guess that makes him and me about five ten. He’s got shaggy brown hair, blue eyes and is kind of on the scrawny side. I used to drag him to the building’s fitness center but he only stayed an hour or so. He had a little six-pack going, a baby one maybe. Male me thought it was pathetic. Female me…well I’m not going to embarrass myself. Male me would have called him dweeby but for some reason now when I looked at him all I saw was this cute bashful guy. It’s kind of funny because this morning I wanted nothing to do with him.

Now, I’m not so sure. God, these stupid female hormones are so confusing. How could my mind change so damn quickly?

He finally stopped pacing and turned to face me. He took a deep breath. “Can you do me a favor? It will help me decide if I’m making the right decision or not.”

I nodded. “I’ll do it within reason. I’m not taking off my jersey and flashing you.”

He laughed. He took a deep breath. “I need you to kiss me.”

I jumped to my feet. He was nuts. There was no way. “Are you out of your fucking mind?”

He looked like I’d bitten off his head and kicked him in the balls at the same time. My anger flared a bit and some of the metal stuff behind him rose from their resting places. I took a deep breath and calmed down. They lowered to the floor; thankfully, Rick didn’t see any of it.

“I need to know if I’m staying for you or for me,” he stammered. “It's crazy I know but I can’t seem to stop thinking about you. You’re driving me insane. Do you know I completely forgot to study for my exam last night? I went to class after getting back from the Lab and I was completely unprepared. When I stared at the Scan-Tron sheet, all the dots seemed to form your face.”

I laughed. I couldn’t help it; it was the corniest thing I’d ever heard. His head dropped. I bit my lip. Damn I hurt his feelings. My heart started to beat real fast and I took a deep breath. I made a split second decision, one I hope I won’t regret. I jumped off the couch, grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled his face into my mine. Our lips only touched for a second but there was a spark. When he pulled away, his lips curled into a smile. I smiled too, but it wasn’t what I was expecting. I was expecting to be repulsed by it but instead I was repulsed by me.

Oh god. I liked it; I liked it a lot. I felt the bile rise up my throat. I forced it back down and then pushed him away. The tears started down my face. It couldn’t be possible. No, I won’t allow it. He took a step toward me but I shook my head, tears flowing like Niagara Falls now. He made another move toward me but I backed up. Fear overwhelmed me and the metal vase rose from the shelf behind him. This time he saw and his eyes widened. He took a step back and I dropped the vase. I cried out and ran off, throwing open my door.

I slammed it shut and threw myself on my bed. He tried to follow but I willed the lock shut with my power. He pounded on the door for a few minutes. But I ignored him, burying my face in my pillow. I cried myself to sleep.

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Adjusting

I think that's likely to be a significant theme in the next few chapters, if not the entire story. Myka, Rick and Skeets all adjusting to the new situation. Meanwhile, it's interesting to see that Bea was approached by Jade, but has decided to get on with life and hide her abilities rather than be a hero. Of course, she may not be the only meta working for Wayne Enterprises...

Oh, and a like your deviousness with that very well-timed interruption to keep us guessing as to who Michelle's role model was... :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Running theme

It was a running theme that the powersuit Booster had belonged to an unnamed/forgotten superhero from the past. There was always hints, that it was his. Take that time loop! I like this a lot. I like the bit with Rip Hunter. Can you believe it really didn't hit till today? Rip is his/her roommate? I cheated too with Googling Thomas Knight, but didn't come up with anything unless you're hedging your bets with Bats. I sorta think a female to male might do that one better and make more sense, but who am I to talk. My own retcon story has bogged down, darn it!

Fun stuff!

Hugs!

Grover

Bats

Enemyoffun's picture

Bats is Bats...he won't change, I'm not messing with that.

Wild Assed Guess here...

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Lamont Cranston?

Lamont Cranston?

The Shadow

Enemyoffun's picture

Lamont Cranston is the Shadow and as cool as that sounds the character who appears in this story was not him.

1,000

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I take back some of the things I said about Rick last chapter. He's not so bad. And it turns out, a good kisser. ;-)

I seriously have read too much Booster Gold as I got the reference to 1,000!!! And then I suddenly thought Ballard...wasn't he something to do with the 1,000?!? And sure enough, there he is. A nice tip of the hat to Booster's comic book incarnation.

Looking forward to more chapters of this enjoyable story.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Slight Nods

Enemyoffun's picture

I like tossing them in here and there. If you look back at my Green Arrow and Blue Beetle stories there's a few nods to their comic incarnation as well. And though I didn't do it in this story but if you read Weight Problem, there's a nice nod to Green Arrow in there.

I really liked that um love scene?

I had an experience with an Arab guy today, and was gonna write about how certain men make my brain mush. Well, I think you have a pretty good groove going there. Yep, yer gettin there. LOL

Khadijah

Arrrg...

Just caught why Carter's roommate's name sounds so familiar...

At least this Rick Hunter isn't a 16 year old piloting prodigy with a thing for a chinese singer by the name of Minmei...

Okay... so maybe a bit of Robotech is kinda farfetched here ;)

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

All That Glitters Part-7

If there are other Metas working at WE, could be a new group, The Outsiders?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Outsiders

Enemyoffun's picture

Besides Bruce Wayne, none of the other characters in this story are members of the Outsiders. Besides Metas are rare in this universe remember, I doubt there would be enough of them to for this rogue team.

Myka Carter and Bea De Costa are actually the first two Meta heroes I've actually written about, the other metas that appear in my story either are side characters or they belong to other authors.

I know about this feeling Too !!!

Mostly I assume that I am just some freaky tranny, doing her best to survive. However, a couple of times, a man has almost completely taken me over, and it took the power of the Universe to save me from myself !!! Wallah ! The other night I was in the Mall to get my cell phone fixed and after that I just um cruised around a little looking in the windows for suitable clothing for old woman who thinks she is younger.

As I walked up the mall, suddenly there was this man talking to me about "The Magic Block". He was speaking in a Saudi accent, young enough to be my grand son, but giving me respect that a woman my age does not get. He grasped my hand and began to brush one of my nails, while I weakly tried to get my hand back. Wallah, this man was so handome to me! He captivated me and for several moments I would have willingly followed him out to his Lear Jet in the parking lot and allowed him to spirit me off to his Hareem in the Desert. I do have to admit that his product was wonderful, and in his seductive tone began to try to sell me his product. It started at $120 but when I told him I was waiting to be paid, he quickly came down to $29.95.

As I left, he gave me "The Look", and in later reflection, I had to accept that he was just throwing me a bone. Still, in that moment, that very special moment, I let myself feel the thrill of a girl who was desired by a man.

I was still shaking myself; trying to recover, several minutes later when I got in my car.

Sigh !

Khadijah