Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1191.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1191
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I didn’t actually see what happened, except little glimpses of the action in windows as I passed. I took the advice from Jim to run like a rabbit, and sprinted away as fast as I could on rather rubbery legs. Moments later, I heard like a pattering noise followed by ricochets and glass shattering. Then a boom, followed few seconds later by another boom, then another. The sound of tyres screaming, another boom and crash. One more boom and then a loud bang which shattered glass in windows all round me and endangered me as much as the bullets had.

I stopped and turned round. The scene before me was of total devastation. Most of the windows in the buildings on the street were broken, there was glass everywhere. A large car had smashed into a building and exploded, setting light to the building. I looked for Jim and it took me a moment to see him, he was lying in the middle of the road with two men holding rifles standing over him.

I ran towards the three of them, hoping they were his friends from the Marines. One saw me coming, picked up the handgun and made off into a building. The other waited until I got to them. “Good man the major,” then ran off like his friend had done.

I looked down at Jim, he was hit about three times, in the leg, chest and abdomen. The blood was pooling in the road about him. Sirens and footsteps sounded all round me. I felt for a pulse he had none. Common sense told me I should have legged it like his two colleagues but it has never been my driving force, which might explain why I have such an interesting life.

I knelt with my hands on either side of his head. “Okay, Jim, ignore the noise just focus on me. I suspect you might be in a strange place, possibly even a dark one. Listen to my voice, look for the light–a blue one–come towards it, let my voice and the light guide you back to me. C’mon, Jim, get your arse back here and now.

Someone threw a coat over him while I continued talking him back to his body, I felt his chances were quite slim although I was pouring the light into him it felt as if it was falling into a bottomless pit.

I kept at my task, a fire engine arrived and had to negotiate its way past us, then another came and they began fighting the fire, water began to run everywhere.

Two paramedics came up to me, “Where’s the light coming from?” asked one of them. “C’mon, luv, out the way let’s see if we can help your friend–though judging by the blood, it don’t look good.”

I glared at him and yelled like a banshee–they both stepped back and someone called them to assist another who’d been hurt by the glass–did I tell you it was everywhere?

I felt Jim start to breathe and poured more energy into him, another ambulance arrived and this time I got up and let them take over. They put up a drip and slapped on a couple of dressings to slow the bleeding, although I knew the wounds were much smaller than they’d been initially.

I picked up my bag and walked away, thankfully in all the confusion no one challenged me, despite the fact I had blood on my trousers and shoes. I walked back to the Porsche and got in–then I burst into tears and for several minutes cried and sobbed. I wiped my eyes, grateful that I hadn’t worn any makeup, and started the car.

It took me a little while to find my way back to the motorway and once there I drove as fast as the speed limit permitted. No one tried to stop me although I saw several police cars during my journey.

I got home pulled into the drive and continued until I got to the empty garage which had previously held a sit and ride lawnmower amongst other things. Simon had cleared it with the intention of putting his Jaguar in there. I parked the Porsche in there instead.

Simon, Tom and Trish came out to see who’d driven in. “Where’s Jim?” asked Si.

“He got shot, the gangsters got him.”

“He’s dead?”

“He wasn’t when I left him, but the London hospitals may have finished the job by now–he was hit three times.”

“Three times?” Simon gasped, “You’re okay?”

“Yeah, he pushed me away and dealt with the attack himself.”

“What happened?”

“We went to a bank and were walking down the road when this big limo which was waiting for us, came at us firing some sort of machine gun. Jim stood there and fired back, with this huge handgun thing he had. I was busy running the other way. He must have hit the driver or something because the car swerved into a building and exploded.”

“Bloody hell,” said Trish, “I always miss out on the action.”

“Ye’re supposd tae be a lassie, no a commando,” her grandfather chastised her.

“Aww, Gramps, I’m sure I coulda helped.”

“Sure ye cood, gettin’ thae way.”

Trish gave me a hug and I noticed the rest of the brood emerging from the house.

“I s’pose tae polis’ll be alang tae speak wi’ ye presently?”

“I don’t care, Daddy, I’ll tell them what I saw–nothing.”

“Is that blood?” asked Jenny looking at my trousers.

“Yes, Jim’s blood.”

“C’mon, go and change and I’ll pop them in the wash for you.”

By the time the police arrived I’d showered and dressed, had a cup of tea and even dried my hair. My clothes were drying in the tumble drier along with some of the children’s that Jenny had used to make up the load. The stains looked as if they had washed out from the black material.

The woman Inspector accompanied by a colleague from the Met force sat in my lounge drinking my tea and asking me questions.

“What happened?” asked the man.

“I didn’t see it, Jim pushed me away and told me to run. I did.”

“What happened to his gun?”

“I didn’t know he had one, I didn’t see it.”

“Someone shot the driver and the passenger with a very large calibre weapon, literally blew them in half.”

“I didn’t see it, sorry, I was too busy trying to dodge bullets and glass.”

“You drove his car?”

“Yes, I wanted to get home–I was scared.”

“You left the scene of an incident even though you knew the police wanted to talk to you?”

“I left because I was scared, so would you be if someone had tried to machine gun you.”

“I’d have stayed to speak to the police,” said the sexist twit from London.

“Before or after you changed your trousers–because believe me, you’d have crapped yourself.” I snapped back at him and I saw the woman Inspector smirk.

“I’ve been involved in incidents where firearms have been used, you know?” he tried to assert himself and his now damaged ego.

“So have I, and I still get frightened, because anyone who isn’t is either already dead or brain damaged.”

“So you don’t know who was involved?”

“When we drove up to London, a big black car tried to ram us on the motorway, I presume it was the same one which tried to run us down or shoot us afterwards.”

“How did they know where you were?”

“How do I know? You’re the detective.”

“Witnesses say they saw you come out of a bank?”

“Yes, my family own one, I called in a branch to try and speak with my husband to tell him I might be out all day, as Jim was taking me to lunch.”

“I see, you weren’t having an affair with Mr Beck, were you?”

I burst out laughing, “No, you moron, gay men don’t do with women, do they?”

“He’s gay?” the copper seemed quite taken aback.

“Yeah, so what?”

“One of my sergeants will be disappointed,” he sighed.

“I think I was, but I employed him for help in getting this gang off my back. He did a very good job, but might have paid a very high price for it.”

“Who helped him round up all the gangsters?”

“How would I know? He told me to stay indoors and keep the family in as well.”

“I get a feeling that you’re not telling me the complete truth, Lady Cameron.”

“I got the impression you were devoid of any feelings save for male superiority.” At this jibe the woman inspector snorted and had to pretend she was sneezing.

“If I think you’ve been withholding evidence, I shall be back with a warrant.”

“If you do, you’ll meet my charming but extremely efficient barrister, who seems to bring about more early retirements than government policy does.”

“Was that a threat?”

“From you? Yes it could have been–can I list that as police brutality? I have a witness, or is it more sexist twaddle?”

“We may need to speak with you again, Lady Cameron,” said the woman inspector, her eyes sparkling.

“But of course, Inspector.” They left, her smirking and him fuming at my impertinence. Impertinence indeed–he’s lucky I talk to the lower classes, next time it might be through the butler–now where’s he gone, Jeeves?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

She's got??

Cathy's got a butler now? LOL Though, come to think of it, there are probably times someone like Lord Peter's Bunter might have been helpful. I dunno about Jeeves. But then, Bunter wasn't a Butler. He was a Gentleman's Gentleman. :-)

You'd think, by now, that Cathy'd be well enough known by the various "police" departments, around the South of England, that there'd be a team assigned to deal with all the mayhem that follows her around. :-)

Thanks,
Anne

Jeeves

Remember that Jeeves was the one who kept Bertie out of a lot of trouble.

By now Cathy should be the head of either MI5 or MI6. Or both. Except for the "Bond girls" she's done more mayhem than 007.
- - - - -
Bear

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

Bike pt 1191

Glad Cathy is safe and sound. But what will Henry say about his bank?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This is hilarious

Another classic episode, full of brilliant lines.

“How did they know where you were?”

“How do I know? You’re the detective.”

Significant chortles from the great white North of England. Lots of that soggy, slippery white stuff appears to have fallen out of the sky.

S.

The Cat May Be Out Of The Bag Even More Now

jengrl's picture

The cat may be out of the bag even more about Cathy's ability on a much bigger scale. There was probably CCTV footage showing the shootout and Cathy's healing exhibition. Who knows how many witnesses were there too? Cathy's life will probably get even more complicated than it already is? I would say she may have to tune into the evening news. I loved how Cathy put that sexist plod in his place!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Mysterious Outages

Perhaps Cathy’s blue light or maybe Trish’s more technical expertise could cause the CCTV recordings for that area to develop some mysterious “out of focus” episodes. These episodes just happen to have been occurring on and off all day without anyone having noticed the problem until they go back to review the tapes.

Michelle B

When I read Butler

the first thing that popped into my tiny brain, was that oldie Are You Being Served. I can just see the floor super working for them and serving as a foil between Cathy's bunch and the coppers.

Please tell Ang what you think

You might have missed Angharad's blog-post which has scrolled off the front page.

If you haven't already done so, please express an opinion, particularly if you're one of those readers who never or only rarely comments.

Here's the link: Bike Referendum

Poll Stuffer


Bike Resources

Cathy Cameron 101

Excerpt from the Hampshire Constabulary training manual:

There is a high probability that you will encounter this woman during your time on the force.

Under no circumstances should you try to match wits with her: she is very intelligent, and when you fail—as you will—you bring yourself and the force into disrepute.

Perhaps the Hampshire lot should distribute their manual to their colleagues in nearby jurisdictions.

Thanks A+B: I just love the brilliant repartee in Bikesodes.

Police Stratagems


Bike Resources

You never fail

to amuse, to tantilize, or to allow your story lines to grow dull or commonplace. I have to remind myself sometimes that this all started with a bike and dormice.

Good story!

oops

That shoud have said... Nor do you allow

Editing

You don't need to add another post if you make a boo boo (as I often do). Provided no-one has replied to your post you can go back and edit it - see the tag at the bottom. Of course, now you can't because I've replied LOL

It goes without saying I agree with your sentiments ;)

Robi

Thank you

Thank you for wonderful, enjoyable end to a very long day.

love needs to be unconditional

love needs to be unconditional

Hope Jim pulls through

i have a feeling Cathy might just need his services sometime soon !!

Kirri

I do hope Cathy was able to

I do hope Cathy was able to get a lot of healing into Jim, before she was forced to leave the scene. He is quite a character in his own right and should definitely remain in the story for future needs by Cathy et al. Jan