Education in the Hills - chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

The adventure begins; or an old adventure continues?
The symbols for the International Thespian Society are two masks.
One mask represents comedy and the other represents tragedy.
Why must there be tragedy?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly Logan
for their kindness, help, support and input.

There were several others who helped with the huge task of creating the many characters
Sephrena, Chris W, Aaron B, and HER.
I almost bit off more than I wanted to chew,
but with the help of kind friends,
a new story is born.

Education in the Hills
Chapter 1

By Penny Reed Cardon

Hello, my name is Matilda, my friends commonly referred to me as 'Munchkin', I guess because I'm a little on the small side. My friends and I are students at a very, unique school, buried deep within the everlasting hills of the western United States, and these are our adventures.

My name wasn't always Matilda. I was named Matthias when I was born, but everyone called me Matt. My early childhood wasn't anything special or out of the ordinary. Dad was a Marine and we lived on base. I had a few friends, but spent most of my time at home, with my Mother. When I was four or five Dad, left the Marine Corps and we moved to Salt Lake City.

I started school when I was six, just like everyone else, which was okay until I realized that it meant I wouldn't be spending my afternoons with my Mother. I was in tears every afternoon when Mom took me to school.

That was when I met Mary Beth. She adopted me ... well, sort of. She accepted me as one of her friends, and as time went on, we became best friends. She was bigger than I was and stronger too, but then everyone was bigger and stronger than I was. Mary Beth protected me from the bullies, and I helped her with her schoolwork.

During the summer, between Kindergarten and First Grade, I made a discovery that changed my life. I realized that my sisters’ clothes were nicer to wear than mine were. More important, was how I felt when I wore them. When I wore girls clothes, I was happy, cheerful and helpful. When I couldn't, I became sad and grumpy. I knew, somewhere deep inside that I was suppose to be wearing girls clothes, even though my body had boy parts. I knew that nobody else would understand how I felt, so I didn't tell anyone, not Mom, not even Mary Beth.

During April, as Third Grade was winding down, the first tragedy struck ... at least, I thought it was a tragedy, … Mom caught me wearing Rachael's clothes. What seemed really odd, was that she didn't yell at me. The next three months are a blur, now. Mom seemed to understand how I felt, even though I couldn't explain it.

That was when Mom told me that if I'd been born a girl, my name would have been Matilda. She arranged for me to see some people who could help me, and even got me some nice girls clothes of my own, but only so I'd stop borrowing from my younger sister, Rachael, who by the way, also had me figured out. Both Mom and Rachael started calling me Matilda, which made me feel even better.

One day, at the park, Mary Beth found out about me being Matilda and you know what? She didn't hate me, either. In fact, we became even better friends. She even invited me to her birthday party as Matilda. That's when the whirlwind started. With the help of some new friends, I learned how to look, act and behave like the girl that in my heart I truly am.

Mary Beth's birthday party was fabulous. I'd never felt more alive, I was a girl, and everyone loved and accepted me. I was a little sad as I realized what I'd missed all the years past.

The next Monday, Daddy found out about Matilda. To say that he was upset would be a gross understatement. What seemed worse was that the school bully, Bartholomew Roberts, or as he was known by his victims 'Black Bart', also found out about Matilda. The next eight weeks of my life became a living nightmare. After eight weeks of being abused and tortured, both at home and at school, with no possibility of making it stop, I decided to take advantage of the only option available to me.

Suicide!

I am so grateful that my Mother and Rachael found me and got me some help before it was too late.

Mary Beth and I spent three days in the hospital. I was there for observation following my suicide attempt, and Mary Beth was being treated for cracked ribs and assorted bruises; which she’s suffered at the hands Black Bart.

After we were discharged, we were transported to Immigration Manor, a most unique school, where special and talented children can excel to their full potential. Well, actually, I was discharged, Mary Beth was umm, well … she wasn’t discharged, but Ellen arranged for her to leave anyway. After our arrival at the Manor, which was where I had been given my training on how to be a girl, I gave Mary Beth the tour, all right, just the tour of our rooms. The eye catcher is the king size bed in each room, 'Now answer me this question; what does a ten year old need with a king size bed?' Next, is the walk-in closet, which is huge, it’s almost as big as my bedroom back home. The closet is packed with clothes. One side is all girls’ clothes and the other side is all boys’ clothes, and across the back of the closet are clothes that could be worn by boys or girls. On top of everything else, each room has its own private bathroom, 'YES! No more fighting over the bathroom.’

(-: :-(
Oh, by the way, if you want to know more details about my life, before I arrived at Immigration Manor, you need to read, “Raised in SLC.” My friends and I had some really, fun times, and some not so fun times. Oh yea one more thing, you can umm, ... You can skip the ninth chapter if you want, it wasn't much fun.

Now the adventures continue.
)-: :-)

Mary Beth and I had stopped shedding tears of joy and were merely chatting when there was a knock on my door. Being that we were in her room, I opened her door and looked down the hall. "Hello Ellen, we're in here."

"Good evening girls. Well Mary Beth, what do you think of the, uh, meager, accommodations?" Ellen inquired with a giggle, as she sat down next to us.

"Oh this room is great! I'm used to something that's less than half this size, and that's one big closet. I have a question though; why are there boy clothes in my closet?"

"Everyone here has the same selection of clothing to choose from. As I mentioned before, how you present yourself is entirely up to you. Some of our students present themselves as male one week and female the next. That is, of course, their choice, as it is yours. How you dress is pretty much up to you. There will be some exceptions, times when you will be required to dress a certain way, but we'll discuss that later. Speaking of how you're dressed, Matilda, you haven't changed out of your school uniform. Would you like a little time to do so?"

"No, I'm fine. You said I could change into something comfortable, … Well," I shrugged my shoulders, "I'm comfortable in these clothes."

"You know, Matilda, there aren't very many of the students who would share that sentiment. Most of them change out of their uniforms as soon as possible. They've even got a petition going to try and get the rules changed."

"I remember Beca saying that they were trying to get that changed when Rachael and I were on tour, that first day I was here," I commented.

"When was Rachael here? For that matter when were you here before?" demanded Mary Beth.

"Tonight Mary Beth. Tonight, I'll tell you everything, tonight," I giggled.

"All right, but I expect to be told everything."

"That’s a good idea. Before you two get carried away, I need to tell you about a couple of rules. First there is the curfew," Ellen started.

"Curfew? We have a curfew?" exclaimed Mary Beth.

"Yes, all students, years A through F, have a 10:00 p.m. curfew, years G and H have an 11:00 p.m. curfew. That is, you must be in your rooms by that time. There is no set time for ‘lights out’; you are trusted to be sensible, that's Rule Number Two. Rule Number One, and this is the other biggie, when the two of you are alone, you must be dressed. That is, you must be wearing at least your underwear."

"EEW! Why would I want her to see me without my clothes on?" quizzed Mary Beth. "As for seeing Matilda without her underwear, well ... I've seen Matt naked too many times when Black Bard stripped her. I don't want to see it again. Besides I wouldn't want to embarrass her."

"Just the same, both rules will apply all the time that you're students here. There are some other school rules, but we can discuss them later. Are you ready to meet the rest of year A?"

I looked at Mary Beth, smiled and gave her hand a squeeze. She smiled back and nodded.

"We're ready Ellen. Are our friends welcome in the lounge and at dinner?" I asked, indicating Nellie and Samantha.

Ellen giggled, "You two may be starting a new trend. But I don't see any reason that your friends can't go to the lounge and dinner with you, however, going to classes is out of the question."

"What do you mean, 'starting a new trend'?" Mary Beth inquired.

Ellen shook her head and chuckled before responding, "You aren't the first to have special friends. You are just the first to have such elegant friends. I'm afraid that you won't be the last."

The five of us left the room, with Ellen in the lead. We went down to the first floor, to a door at the end of the hall. "This is the year A lounge. It belongs to the year A students. Anyone else wishing to enter must be invited."

Ellen knocked and we waited, but only for a few seconds before the door opened. “Hello Ellen, we've been expecting you. Please, come in."

"Thank you, Aaron."

We followed Ellen into the room where I quickly assessed my surroundings. Two square tables with inlaid black and white tiles, presumably for chess or checkers; two large oval coffee tables; five love seats and four large couches; a large fireplace that hadn't been used in some time, with a large picture window on each side; a forty-two inch plasma display on one wall; there was a computer on a desk, below the plasma display; two doors; eighteen students, and Mr. Peterson. 'What a lounge!'

"Good evening everyone," Ellen greeted.

"Hello, Ellen," several students chorused.

"Mr. Peterson, I'm glad you were able to juggle your schedule on such short notice, so you could be with us this evening," continued Ellen.

"Come now, Ellen. You know I 'm always present for the introduction of new students.”

“Attention everyone," Mr. Peterson called as he moved to stand behind Mary Beth and me. "I know it's unusual to have students starting in the middle of the year. However, the circumstances’ surrounding these two young ladies is unusual, but then, so are they. I'd like to introduce to you, Mary Beth and Matilda."

"Isn't she too little?"

"I thought their was an age limit here!"

"Which one is which?"

"I've got a little brother that's bigger than she is."

"Why are they carrying dolls?"

All of those comments flew from different parts of the room before you could blink once. 'Is it too late to change my mind?'

"All right you guys, enough with the heckling. I know it is one of your hobbies, but wait until they know you well enough to know that you are only joking." This came from a girl with long brown hair. She stood as she spoke, and came towards us. "Hi, I am Jenny. I guess you could say that I am in charge of this group of misfits, being that Aaron and I are the year leaders."

"Goodness, Jenny," Mr. Peterson cut in, "I was wondering what kind of welcome you and the 'Black Sheep' had in mind. Maybe we should have done the introductions in my office."

"Oh, this was nothing; I vetoed most of what they wanted to do. Mr. Peterson, why do you call us the ‘Black Sheep’?" Jenny asked.

"We'll have to save that for later, right now we need to finish the introductions and then see what the chef has on the menu."

"Oh, very well …" Jenny offered Mary Beth her hand. Shaking hands, Jenny looked at Mary Beth carefully, and then said, “Welcome to Immigration Manor.” Lowering her voice she added, "I do not know you."

Turning to me she continued, "but you, ... I never forget a face. It is ... Matilda, is it not? I never thought I would see your face again." Returning to her normal voice, she giggled, "I am right, you are the one?"

At least I now knew of one other trekkie here. The line was Khan, but she sounded more like Data, I wasn’t sure what she meant about being ‘the one’, "I'm not sure I know what you mean?"

"You have been here before. I know that I have met you before. Only I sense that ... you are different, … something about you has changed." Suddenly Jenny threw her arms around me, startling me. "It is you, Matilda! It has been about nine weeks since your graduation and the ball. But, you have been changed somehow, something terrible has happened to you, but you are Matilda."

"That's enough Jenny!" Mr. Peterson chuckled, "You're going to scare her away. Jenny has a special gift; she … senses things about people."

Jenny let go and stepped back. "I am sorry, I did not mean to ..."

"That’s alright, Jenny, and yes, I am that, Matilda." I smiled as I looked into her eyes as I confessed my identity.

Jenny smiled, then turned towards the others, "I am right! It is the little girl that was here before, the one from outside."

'Call me little one more time and I'll rearrange your grades,' I thought.

When the other students didn't respond, she continued. "Oh come on you guys! You must remember her! She is the only girl that has ever graduated from girl 101 AND 102 in six days!" That brought out positive reactions from everyone.

"All right Jenny, you've solved that mystery. Do you want to get on with the introductions, or shall I do the honors?" Ellen asked.

"I will take care of it!" Jenny professed, as she glanced over her shoulder at Ellen. "As I call your names please stand and say hello. Aaron; my study partner and co-year leader, you met at the door. The rest of the gang goes like this; George," "Hello." "Jack," "Howdy." "Barbara," "Good evening." "Christina," "It's a pleasure." "Abby," "Welcome." "Wally," "Hi yawl." "Nicole," "Greetings" "Hope," "Welcome to our little corner of the world" "Anthony," "Hi" "Emerald," "Salutations" "Deanna," "Welcome" "Peggy," "A pleasure to make your acquaintance" "Howard," "Aloha" "Vikk," "Hello." "Misaki," "Konnichi wa" "and Morgan." "G'day" "We are kind of a wild group, and you may think we are a little strange, that is until you get to know us. Then you will know for certain that most of us are really insane, but we all get along and have a good time."

"Jenny, you almost sound like Pappy Boyington," Mr. Peterson chuckled.

"Like who?"

"Pappy Boyington,” I responded, before Mr. Peterson could. “Actually, he was Major Gregory Boyington, but all the men in the squadron called him Pappy. He was the commander of a squadron of misfit fighter pilots in the South Pacific during W.W.II, known as 'The Black Sheep'. They may have been misfits, but their record for enemy aircraft shot down has never been broken, at least not that I know of. They were the very best fighter pilots of their time. Personally, I would consider it an honor to be known as 'The Black Sheep'."

"So much for explaining it later," sighed Mr. Peterson, looking at his PDA. "All right everyone, if we don't hurry, we're going to miss dinner. Shall we be off?" He motioned toward the door with his arms.

Everyone headed for the door and then on to the cafeteria. Mary Beth and I were near the front of the group, being that we were close to the door as we left. As we crossed the lawn, it seemed that Mary Beth was moving slower than normal, for her. I even saw her wince in pain a couple of times. Of course, I matched her pace. As we entered, I noticed that only the six large tables were being used, then I remembered that years A — C eat together and D — H eat later. There were about ten students at each table, along with one adult. I found out later that the adults were staff psychiatrists and that they rotate from table to table. Our group was the last to arrive, so there wasn’t a line waiting to be served. I helped Mary Beth as we got our dinners and went back into the dining room. I was wondering where we should sit when I saw Mr. Peterson motioning us to a table that had our names on name tags.

"Are we assigned seats?" I asked in general, not to anyone in particular.

"Seats no, table yes," answered Morgan.

After everyone took their seats, Mr. Peterson stood behind Mary Beth and I. "Good evening everyone, I'd like to introduce two new students. This is Matilda, whom some of you might recognize, and her study partner Mary Beth. They are obviously year A students, but we won't hold that against them. I know you will all help to make them welcome here. Thank you."

After Mr. Peterson sat down most of the students started eating, but I noticed that one or two at each table, bowed their heads and prayed. I pointed this out to Mary Beth; she smiled and nodded in agreement. We both bowed our heads and said a silent prayer of thanks before starting our meal.

This action didn't go unnoticed by the others at our table. Christina asked, "Hey you two, what's with the head bowing?"

"Just thanking our Father in Heaven," answered Mary Beth.

"Look out gang, we got a couple of tambourine beaters among us," Jack cautioned.

"Tambourine beaters?" I was puzzled.

"Tent followers, evangelists’ groupies, religious fanatics, 'Praise the Lord' and all sinners be dammed, if they’re not converted or reborn, 'Tambourine beaters'," explained Misaki.

"Ahh, I've never heard it phrased that way before," I confessed.

"Well,” Mary Beth stated, “Matilda and I are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, and there are certain things that we believe."

"But we’re not here to convert anyone. If you want to talk about religion, we could probably find someone who knows more than we do. If you don't want to talk about it that's fine too," I added. 'I guess I'll ask Ellen later what they do for church services on Sundays.'

"Well, I guess that's okay," replied Jack. "When I was home, we had people from ever ligion under the sun knocking on the door. Viting us to this meeting, or that tent service, or telling us we needed to be baptized or we'd be dammed. Dad got so tired of it, he got hisself a huge dowg, kept him on a long chain in the front yard. That dowg kept all them tambourine beaters away. I just don’t wana be bugged about not going ta church for the next eight years."

“You can relax, neither of us owns a tambourine. Besides, I’m sure there are some rules about harassing the other students,” Mary Beth tried to calm things down.

“Anyway, that’s no way to treat your friends, and I’m sure, before long, we’ll all be good friends,” I added, trying to change the subject from religion to friendship. I was successful, and the rest of dinner passed quickly. After dinner, everyone rushed back to the lounge. Mary Beth and I followed but at a much slower pace. Once there we sat, so Mary Beth could rest while chatted with some of the others, getting to know each other a little better.

About 7:30, we all went over to the auditorium for choir practice, ‘I think tomorrow Mary Beth and I will start out at 7:15. I wonder what Dr. Harris meant by limited activity?’ My mind was again flooded by memories; the last time I had been on that stage was for my graduation. ‘Seems like yesterday, funny how the mind can play tricks on you like that, merging good memories together and trying to throw away the bad ones.’

Jenny and Aaron introduced us to the choir director, Phyllis Taylor, “Good evening, Mrs. Taylor," they said together. "I would like to introduce our two newest students. This is Matilda," Jenny said. "And this is Mary Beth,” added Aaron.

“I’m pleased to meet you both. I didn't know we were expecting new students."

"Did you not get the memo?" Jenny giggled.

"Jenny, if that had come from anyone else I'd believe that I'd really had missed something, but from you … it must be a joke." Mrs. Taylor giggled, as she was now teasing Jenny. "Have either of you sung in a choir before?”

“Not really, just in church,” I answered.

“The same goes for me. Although I did try out for the fourth grade Christmas program at my school, but that was before the excitement started,” added Mary Beth.

“That’s all right girls. Jenny, for tonight we’ll have them stand with the large group of year A students. I’ll arrange some time to audition their voices and see where they will fit. It won’t be tomorrow, but sometime within the next few days. Just keep an eye on your PDA schedules and it will show up,” concluded Mrs. Taylor.

“But we don’t have PDA’s,” Mary Beth announced.

“Not to worry, Ellen sent me a message a little while ago. She wants both of you in her office right after breakfast, tomorrow morning. I am sure you will get your PDA then along with the rest of the school rules,” Jenny explained.

“Well, Mary Beth will probably be getting her PDA, but I don’t think I'll be getting one any time soon. I'm still on restricted access,” I said, just a little sadly.

“Everyone here has a PDA,” Aaron stated matter-of-factly.

“Not Matilda! At least not an ordinary PDA,” snickered Mary Beth.

“I do not understand. Why not?” Jenny’s curiosity had been piqued.

“Well let’s say that she tends to get into trouble when she has access to a computer,” Mary Beth giggled as she put an arm around me, giving me a gentle hug. “Isn’t that right, dear friend?”

“I wouldn’t say I get into trouble; it just sort of ... follows me around," I had to giggle. "Anyway, Ellen said I needed to be checked out by someone ... um, I think she said RJ,”

"He's the system administrator,” Aaron informed us. “He also teaches the computer, and computer related classes. He's away right now, he's been gone for a week, but should be back some time next week."

"He probably went to take a refresher course in computer security, after he heard Matilda was coming," teased Mary Beth.

"Oh come now, I'm not that bad!" I protested.

Mrs. Taylor, who'd been giggling at our verbal exchange, put an end to the mutual teasing, “Well, we really need to get started. By whatever means necessary, I’ll arrange to see each of you sometime within the next three days. Jenny, would you ask Roberta to get them the music they’ll need tonight? I’ll arrange for a complete portfolio to be delivered to their rooms so they can practice.”

Jenny's curiosity was still aroused. "So, what did Matilda do to get her into so much troubled?" she asked Mary Beth as we went to find Roberta.

"The question is what didn't she do?" I dropped back a bit and shook my head. 'That's my best friend, teasing again. I haven't paid attention to it for a while, but I still like the way the long hair tickles my ears.’ "Anyway, it's a long story, and I'm sure that Matilda doesn't want to go through it more than once. Let's wait until some time Saturday. Then we can learn more about everyone else as well."

"Hello Roberta. This is Mary Beth and Matilda, obviously new. Mrs. Taylor would like you to get them the music they'll need for tonight's rehearsal," Aaron announced.

"Welcome to the Manor. It's a pleasure to meet you both. Do you know what parts Phyllis want's you to sing?"

"We don't know yet," Mary Beth replied.

"She said that she'd work with us in a day or two to see where our voices fit," I added.

"That's okay; we're just working on some Christmas Carols this evening. It's a little odd to be adding new students six weeks before a field trip, though," Roberta said.

"A Field Trip! Where?" I asked excitedly.

"Easy girl, nothing to get that excited about. We're doing three concerts in Toronto, Canada. Besides, how do you know about field trips?" Roberta asked.

"Roberta, this is Matilda!" Jenny repeated the introduction.

"Yes, you said that, so?"

"Roberta, think back about nine weeks, a graduation, followed by a ball," Jenny spoke softly, taking Roberta back in time.

"You mean that she is ..."

"Yes! She is that Matilda."

'I wish they'd stop doing that, I'm just me, nobody special.'

"Well, this is a surprise. Welcome back, Matilda." Roberta got the music we needed and Mary Beth and I took our places on stage with year A. Jenny put me right in front. She said it was so I could see Mrs. Taylor, but I'm not so sure. Several of our group weren't with us. I noticed that three were in the orchestra, and there were several of our group that I didn’t see at all.

I'm not sure I could say that Choir practice went well, being that this was my first time. What can I say about spending two hours on my feet, singing the same five songs over, and over with one short break for water: One, I needed a bathroom: Two, my feet hurt, my jaw hurt and my throat hurt: Three, I don't think I've ever been happier when a computer or book wasn't involved.

Just outside the stage door, they'd setup some tables with bottles of different fruit juices. 'This is great! A little cranberry/apple will take care of the throat. Now where is the nearest restroom? ' I was looking up and down the hall, trying to decide which way to try. Suddenly someone grabbed my hand; a quick look brought a smile to my face.

"Hello, Beca."

"Hi, Munchkin, it's this way." She started leading me down the hall.

"What's this way?"

"The bathroom, silly."

"But how did you know that I was looking for ..."

"Matilda, do you really have to ask that question?” Beca giggled. “I'm your big sister, remember? I spent almost two weeks with you. Two hours is about your limit. Now come on, move your feet a little faster."

We rounded the corner and about thirty feet down the hall we arrived at an alcove, the entrance to the restrooms. Men's on the right and women's on the left. Naturally, I headed right.

"Just where do you think you're going?" Beca asked as she pulled on my hand, bringing me to a stop.

"I'm going into the restroom."

"Are you Matthias, or Matilda?"

"I'm Matilda, why?"

"Well, Matilda's a girl, isn't she? Do girls use the men's restroom?"

"But ..."

"Matilda, this is Beca you're talking to, remember. I’ve been doing this for a lot longer than you have. Besides, nobody is going to say anything. Remember, this is Immigration Manor! If you're presenting yourself as male, then you use the men's room. If you're presenting yourself as female, you use the ladies room. It's really that simple. Now you have a choice to make little sister. We can stand here discussing the differences in gender until something embarrassing happens, or you can come inside to take care of your more immediate needs."

"Let's see now, that's a tough choice," I giggled. "Lead on, Sis." I followed Beca into the restroom.

Beca and I were greeted with friendly hellos, by several other girls. Beca responded cheerfully. My response was just a bit timid, but friendly. I found an empty stall and made use of it.

As I emerged, I saw a very familiar face, although not a happy one. "All right Matilda, where have you been?"

I stopped, dead in my tracks; looked at Mary Beth, looked back at the stall I'd just vacated and then looked back at Mary Beth. I smiled as I shook my head, then asked, "Mary Beth, are we going to have this conversation ever time I have to commune with Mother Nature?"

Several of the other girls giggled. "Okay, what's your real question? And is this really where you want to discuss it?"

"I guess you're right. It's almost 10:00. We’d better get back to our rooms."

We hurried back to our rooms. 'Gee wiz, it's getting to be cold at night, but then it is almost the end of October. I'll have to remember to take a coat next time.'

"We have lots to talk about, Mary Beth. I think we should get ready for bed first, and then talk."

"I agree! Get yourself changed and into my room in fifteen minutes!" Mary Beth commanded as she went through the interconnecting door into her room, pulling it shut. Just before she closed the door she called out, "Don't forget to brush your teeth."

I giggled, "Yeessss, Mother!"

I went into my bathroom. I realized that I still had on my makeup from this morning, which I quickly removed. Then I brushed my teeth, and dropped everything except panties, down the laundry chute. There was quite an assortment of nightwear to choose from, just as Ellen had indicated. 'Last spring and summer, Rachael and I were swapping short frilly nighties back and forth, but considering that I’m still a little cold from walking back from the theater I think something warmer will be nice. I'm sure Mary Beth will be in something short and frilly.'

I finished getting ready, picked up Nellie and knocked on the interconnecting door.

"Just a minute," Mary Beth called out.

'I wish I had some other clothes for Nellie, she could use a nightgown or two. I wonder if Ellen thought about ...' I headed back to my closet to do some searching. I'd gone through about half of my drawers when someone knocking on my open closet door startled me.

"Good heavens, Mary Beth, are you trying to scare me out of a year’s growth?" I giggled, just because it was a silly thing to say, also because I was right about Mary Beth's choice of nightwear.

"I thought you were ready. You did knock a few minutes ago."

"Yes I'm ready. I was just looking for some other clothes for Nellie."

"You're not going to find any in here. The closet is for your clothes. Nellie's clothes are in the doll trunk under your bed."

"And how do you know there's a doll trunk under my bed?"

"Actually it's just a guess, based on the fact that I found one under my bed."

I went to look, and sure enough, the trunk was there. Placing the trunk on the table and sitting on the couch, I asked, "So where would like to talk, your room, or mine?"

As I was looking for a nightgown for Nellie, Mary Beth sighed, "I guess here, seeing that you're occupied."

"Okay." I started changing Nellie's clothes. I was suddenly very tired and ...

~~~~~~~~~~

... When I became aware of my surroundings I was sitting on the floor, doll clothes were scattered around, and Mary Beth was lying on my bed watching me.

"Um, what happened?" I was a bit confused.

"Welcome back," Mary Beth replied.

"Welcome back? Back from where?"

"You tell me, and we'll both know. Matilda, how old are you?"

"Mary Beth you're not making sense, you know that I'm ten. You brought cupcakes to school so we could celebrate my birthday, remember?"

"Yes, I remember that day. However, for the last hour you’ve been six, and you weren't here."

"What do you mean I wasn't here? Where did I go?"

"All right, you were here, but your mind wasn't. You were acting like a six year old. You started to change Nellie's clothes and something happened. You began acting like a little girl with her dolls. You talked to her, as if she would answer. You went through all the clothes in the chest, mixing different outfits. Matilda, I was scared, I didn't know if you were going to come back or not." As she talked, she joined me on the floor and began hugging me.

"What did you do?" I'd laid Nellie down and was hugged her back, easing up when she moaned; reminding me to be gentle on her ribs.

"I wasn't sure what to do. I went to the year lounge, but no one was there as it was after ten. I knocked on the nearest door; I think it was Barbara’s and Christina’s, and asked them to get in touch with Ellen, and to have her come to your room. Then I rushed back here. You'd moved from the couch to the floor. Other than that, you were a little girl, happily playing with her doll."

"Did Ellen come here?"

"Yes, she was here for about fifteen minutes. She sat on the floor with you, tried to talk with you, helped you with Nellie and then she left. She asked me to keep an eye on you. She said something about it only being fair. She also told me to have someone get in touch with her if you tried to hurt any one. She want’s me to make sure that you make it to her office in the morning."

"Well, did I?"

"Did you what?"

"Did I try to hurt anyone?"

"No! You just sat there, talking to Nellie. You didn't appear to notice anything or anyone."

"Mary Beth, I'm scared."

"I know, Matilda, I know. Come on, girl. Let's get to bed. We'll put this stuff away in the morning."

"Mary Beth ..."

"Don't worry, dear friend, I'm not going anywhere."

Mary Beth tried to help me up, but her ribs screamed NOOO! I helped her up instead. We took turns in the bathroom. Mary Beth folded down the blankets on my bed while I was in the bathroom. I stood by the door of the bathroom - staring at everything on the floor, too scared of what had happened to move.

Mary Beth tucked me into bed, turned off the lights, then she went around and got into the other side. Snuggling up behind me, she wrapped one arm around my waist. 'I still don't know why I need a king size bed, a standard double would be big enough for the two of us.'

"Matilda? What did Ellen mean when she said that it would only be fair, for me to watch over you?"

I sighed heavily before responding, "Remember when Dr. Harris was taking the tape off, you and they gave you some pills, so you wouldn't hurt so much?"

"Yes, I remember taking the pills."

"What do you remember after taking the pills?"

"Well, it took a while to get all that tape off. Um, I don't remember anything after else."

"After you took the pills it took over half an hour to get all the tape off you. You were acting pretty goofy by then. Your speech was slurred and you weren't making sense. You fell asleep before Dr. Harris and Marie finished. I held you up so they could finish putting the elastic bandages and hospital gown on you. Then we laid you down. Your breathing wasn't right, and I was really worried about you. I sat up most of last night, watching over you."

"Oh, Matilda, I didn't know, … thank you." Mary Beth was in tears as she realized how much she meant to me.

"Of course you didn't know, you were asleep. I just felt it was important to watch over you."

"Well I glad that I found out. Now I'll watch over you and make sure that you're all right."

Sigh, "Goodnight, Mary Beth."

"Goodnight, Matilda."

* * * * *

I woke early as usual. It took several timeless moments before I remembered where I was. The fact that it was completely dark didn't help. Once I'd remembered where I was, I crawled out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom in the dark. Tripping and falling twice and fumbling around a little I finally made it, only ... I was just a little late. 'Darn, it's been a year or more since this has happened! When is my stupid bladder going to catch up with the rest of me? I'll bet whoever does the laundry won't be happy with me …' I dropped everything down the laundry chute and took a quick shower. Putting on the bathrobe that was hanging on the back of the bathroom door, I headed for the closet and some clean clothes. I left the closet light on with the door partway open so I could see where I was going. I got back into bed, trying not to wake Mary Beth.

I was however unsuccessful, as usual. "Where have you been?" she mumbled softly.

"Bathroom."

"Why is the closet light on? Is everything all right?"

"Yes Mary Beth, everything is fine. Go back to sleep." ‘I wonder if no secrets really means NO secrets.'

"Okay, night," she mumbled sleepily.

"Goodnight."

'It's a good thing that she's so sleepy, she didn’t notice that I'm mad at myself again. I guess there's no way to hide something like this. I'll just have to tell Mary Beth in the morning. I just hope we can keep it from the rest of the school. I don't need to go through that again.'

* * * * *

When I woke up again, I was alone. Moments later, Mary Beth walked through the interconnecting door, wearing a bathrobe, drying her hair.

"Morning sleepyhead. You better get in the shower so we can go to breakfast."

"Ahh, I had a shower earlier," I muttered softly.

"So I was right, and it was my fault, wasn't it?"

"Right about what? What was your fault?"

"Matilda, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause you a problem." Mary Beth tossed her towel on the bed as she hugged me.

"Sorry about what?"

"I turned off all the lights, last night. It's my fault you couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. I'm sorry; I'll never do that again. Will you please forgive me?"

'What's happening here? I have an accident, and Mary Beth is apologizing for it? This doesn't sound right for some reason.’ "Mary Beth, it's not your fault. If it's anybody's fault, it's mine. I should have told you to leave a light on."

"You did tell me, in the hospital you told me what would happen. There were always some lights on at the hospital. I just wasn't thinking. You were in unfamiliar surroundings and I turned off the lights. It's my fault, I'm so sorry." Mary Beth was in tears.

"Please, don't cry. I'm not mad at you; it's not your fault. If anyone is at fault I guess it would be, Mother Nature, for blessing me such a microscopic bladder in the first place."

Mary Beth stopped crying, but continued hugging and actually giggled. "You're right! After all, its just a little thing,"

'Mary Beth, if that was supposed to be a joke it wasn't funny.'

"Oh, I mean it's just a little problem. Working together, you'll never have to worry about it again. I promise I'll see that you're never left in the dark again."

We hugged each other for a few more minutes before Mary Beth went back to her room. I dressed quickly. As I sat on the couch putting on my shoes, Mary Beth knocked on the interconnecting door. "Come in," I called out.

Mary Beth was dressed, with one exception. She was carrying her blouse, although she was wearing a camisole.

"Mary Beth, what are you doing? Put your blouse on!" I exclaimed.

"It's like this; I know lots of intimate details about you. Now it's your turn."

"Wha, Wha, What are you talking about?" I stuttered. 'I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that question.'

"Matilda, will you help me with these silly elastic bandages?"

Giggling, with relief, "It would be my pleasure to assist you, dear friend. Can I assume that you want them wrapped around you, on top of your camisole?"

"Of course!"

After putting on the elastic bandages, I helped her with her blouse, as her movement was impaired. We then went down to the year lounge.

Jenny and Aaron were coming out as we arrived. "There you are! We were getting worried about … Matilda, what on earth happened to you?” Jenny exclaimed.

Aaron had already poked his head back through the door and called out, " Come on gang, they're here. Let's eat!"

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Your face is covered with bruises. I do not remember seeing them yesterday. What happened?”

By now most of the others had come out of the lounge and had gathered around, asking pretty much the same question. Once everyone was quite I explained that yesterday I had been wearing makeup that covered the bruises. I also had to explain how I got them, that was the hard part. Mary Beth stood behind me, arms around my shoulders with my head resting against her, of course, I was crying. Someone produced a handkerchief, for which I was grateful. It was several minutes before I was collected enough to continue.

"Matilda, I am sure I speak for every one when I say how sorry we are for what has happened. We will all be here to help you in any way we can.” Jenny hugged me for a second, whispering, “I sensed something terrible had happened. I am so sorry that I was right.”

Releasing me, she stepped back and continued, “Changing the subject; on weekdays we usually get together in the morning before breakfast to go over the day’s schedule," Jenny continued.

"We're sorry, Jenny," Mary Beth apologized. "We weren't sure what time it was. There aren't clocks in the rooms."

"Sorry, that’s my fault," Aaron jumped in. "I forgot that you don't have PDA's yet, or even your bedroom computers. I should have checked on you earlier."

"That’s all right, no harm done. How does breakfast work here?" Mary Beth wanted to know.

"Don't get between Mary Beth and food, she might nibble on you," I teased.

"Hey,"

"I'm just teasing Mary Beth," I giggled, as I moved out of range of her fingers.

"All right you two, settle down,” Jenny giggled. “We better get going or we will be too late for breakfast. Well, that is not quite true, we will get breakfast, but we might have to settle for cold cereal."

We headed for the cafeteria. Mary Beth and I were the last to arrive - again.

As year A walked in, Mr. Peterson was going over some announcements. "Well, I’m glad to see that you've decided to join us this morning. I trust that you all slept well. Would you take your seats while I finish, then you can get your breakfasts."

"Is he mad at us?" I asked Misaki, being that she was next to me.

"Oh no, if he were mad at us, he wouldn't be smiling, also he would come to the lounge to talk to us. Now if he were upset at one or two, he would invite them to his office. I've heard rumors that the chairs in front of his desk are most uncomfortable."

"Thanks Misaki, I really wasn't sure."

"Anytime. Oh, by the way, call me Misa."

After we were seated Mr. Peterson continued, "I'm sure you're aware of the up-coming field trip to Toronto, and the 'Roy Thomson Hall'. As you know, in Toronto, both French and English are used fluently. There’s been a ... sudden change of plans. Before going to Toronto, we will be going to the city of Quebec for three days, and two performances in the 'Grand Théá¢tre de Québec'. As you may or may not know their predominant language is French. Therefore, as of noon today your PDA's will be in French, as will all radio and television. As you've been learning French, this should not be a problem. Obviously, this changes our departure schedule; therefore, all classes are canceled, with the exception of the French and music. As of today, mornings will be spent learning French, and the afternoons and evenings will be devoted to choir rehearsals. For those who weren’t paying attention, that means choir practice from 2:00 to 4:00 and from 6:30 to 9:30 every day. Mrs. Taylor has requested the extra time, as she has several new pieces for you to learn. There is one exception to the French only mandate; I'm allowing the Halloween Ball to proceed as planned, and in English. Thank you for your attention."

As Mr. Peterson sat down, the room came alive with conversation and questions. I nervously looked at Mary Beth and then at Aaera, this morning’s psychiatrist. I was about to ask her a question when Mr. Peterson stood up, calling for quiet. "It seems that even I, am capable of making mistakes. I forgot about one other exception to everything being in French, or perhaps it's two exceptions, and that would be our two new students, Mary Beth and Matilda. Communications with them will remain in English, at least for the time being. We've arranged for a special teacher for them. We'll let you know when their status changes."

Both Mary Beth and I sighed with relief. I looked at Aaera, "I guess that answers my unasked question."

We then went to get our breakfasts. Nothing special, but lots to choose from; scrambled eggs, fried eggs, omelets of various varieties, pancakes, waffles, French toast, hash browns, corn beef with hash, biscuits and gravy, as well as a selection of cereal. No I didn’t try everything, at least not all at once, but I did try something different each day.

Mary Beth and I headed for Ellen's office after we’d finished breakfast. I didn’t mind that Mary Beth was moving slowly, I’m not sure I want to see Ellen this morning.

"Good morning, girls. How was the rest of your night?"

"Umm, I guess it was okay. I mean, after I um, woke up, or came back from wherever I was. I'm still a little nervous about not remembering what I did for an hour," I said.

"I wouldn't let it worry you too much, Matilda. I've never heard of anyone who could remember what they did while they were sleepwalking, or in your case sleep-playing."

"Sleepwalking?" exclaimed Mary Beth. "Is that what she was doing? Just sleepwalking!"

"I’m not positive, but I'm pretty sure Matilda was just sleepwalking. After all, it was after 10:30 and her day started before 6:00 am. I also know that the day before, she was up from before 8:00 am and didn't go to sleep until well after 2:00 am. By my estimate, over the last forty hours she'd had maybe four hours of sleep. When she sat down on the couch to change Nellie's clothes, a simple pleasurable task, she fell asleep. She was sleeping so deeply, that sleepwalking was the result. I don't think it had anything to do with Nellie, I guess that she just went along for the ride."

"But it happened so suddenly," questioned Mary Beth.

"That is the strange part about it, but after I talked with Matilda while she was out of it ..."

The fact that Ellen and Mary Beth were talking about me, as if I wasn't there upset me a little. On the other hand, I was relieved to know that I wasn't more than two people. I had to admit that it had been two trying days, both physically and emotionally. As they were talking about me I leaned back relaxed and ...

~~~~~~~~~~

"Matilda, ... Yoo hoo … Matilda. Wakie, wakie!" It was Mary Beth's turn to tickle my nose.

"What, oh, I'm sorry. I fell asleep, didn't I?"

"That's all right Dear, you've obviously been through more than any of us realized. I just need register your fingerprints to your PDA, and then I want Mary Beth to take you back to your room and put you in bed. I'm going to cancel your morning French lesson."

I suddenly realized Ellen had an arm around my shoulders. 'When did Ellen and Mary Beth trade places?' "But I've never cut class. I'll (yaaawn), ... I'll be fine."

"You'll be fine, will you? You're almost asleep again, and you're not cutting class; I've canceled it! Your health is more important than a class. Now quickly, before you drop off again." Ellen tapped several keys on a PDA, and then handed it to me. It was different from the ones we'd had at the hospital. Following her instructions, I registered my fingerprints on that PDA. "The charging station should be in your room by now. We'll have RJ go over all the features later, he will be returning on Monday. In the meantime, Mary Beth can show you how to access the school layout.” Turning to Mary Beth she continued, “Mary Beth, what I'd like you to ... “

~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on, Matilda. Let's get you to bed," Mary Beth was giggling as she gently shook me.

"What? Oh, I guess I did it again, didn't I."

"Go on you two! Get out of here before she falls asleep again. Mary Beth, if she sleeps through lunch, send Jenny a note and she’ll have someone bring something to your room. Choir practice is at 2:00. Don't let her sleep past then, or she won't be able to sleep tonight."

"Thank you Ellen. I'll take good care of Matilda."

"Thank you, I'm sorry to be such a bother," I shyly added as we left Ellen's office.

Mary Beth kept one arm around me as we went down the hall. "Matilda, it's been a while, do you need to stop at the restroom before we head back to our rooms? It's just around the corner."

"How do you know that?"

"Ellen showed me how to locate all the restrooms on the PDA's maps."

"Why would she show you that?"

"After we talked about the mistake I made last night and the problem it caused you, she asked a few other questions. Well, one thing led to another, before I knew it I'd told her about everything we talked about this morning."

"WHAT?" I almost yelled, as I came to a sudden stop. "You told her about my bladder problem while I was asleep?"

"Umm, yes."

"That's just great! I thought you were my friend. If it's not too much to ask, what got you and Ellen talking about ME in the first place?"

"She was asking me about last night and this morning. It seems that the laundry had informed her about your wet clothes. She told me that it's not uncommon for some of the year A students to have a little problem now and then as they adjust to being away from home. She wanted to know it that’s what the problem was. I explained about your little problem, and that we’ve already talked about it. I also told her that we feel that with the two of us working together, we are sure that we have everything under control."

"What did she say about that?" I was much calmer after hearing the whole story.

"She said that for us to be talking to each other about such personal subjects on our first day here is … extraordinary."

"I guess I knew that I wouldn't be able to hide my little problem for very long. I was hoping I could keep it to myself for more than, twenty-four hours, though. I guess I can trust Ellen to keep it to herself and not tell anyone else." I'd gone from sleepy, to mad, to relieved, to needing some relief. "Mary Beth ... Where did you say that restroom was?"

Smiling, she replied, "This way," adding a giggle.

After a short stop, we were on our way again. The short time I'd been sitting allowed me to relax and I was once again on the verge of slumber. Mary Beth kept one arm securely around my shoulders as she guided me.

"Thank you, Mary Beth," I muttered, as she helped me remove my shoes and stockings.

"For what?"

"For being my friend, there's not too many who would want that job."

She giggled before replying, "Well, maybe not back at Whittier, but I think we'll find lots of friends here. Now lie down and go to sleep."

I didn't argue, I don't think I could if wanted to. I lay down and she covered me with a blanked and ...

~~~~~~~~~~

"Rise and shine sleepy head. Time to get up, get some food into you, and then get to choir practice."

My eyes were suddenly assaulted by the sunlight as Mary Beth opened the curtains. This scene was so familiar that I giggled. I pulled the blankets over my head, "Can't I sleep for another half hour? MOM!"

I peeked out to watch the reaction to my calling Mary Beth, Mom. I'd figured her reaction correctly. She turned to face me with a huff and the look on her face said, 'How dare you'. She came over to my bed and flipped the blankets completely off me. Then she stood with her hands on her hips, like Robin Williams in the movie 'Hook', and announced, "First, I'm not your mother, I'm your study partner. And second," in a much kinder tone, "how do you feel after your little three hour, nap?"

"I feel terrific, strong enough to rough up a five-year-old. It's a good thing there aren't any around here."

"Yes, it's a good thing for you, you mean. Go to the bathroom and wash you face. Your lunch is waiting for you in my room."

I hopped out of bed and headed for the interconnecting door, "Did you say food?"

"Yes I did! I also said AFTER you’ve washed, so get moving! We don't want to be late to choir practice."

I turned about and started towards my bathroom as Mary Beth headed to her room. As we passed each other, she swatted my bottom.

"Ouch, what was that for?"

"That was for being silly. Do something bad and see what happens," she giggled.

I put on my very best, innocent, 'little ole me' look.

"Don't try that with me, silly friend, I know you too well for that to work."

I changed to my sad puppy-dog-face and whimpered.

"Oh, go on, you nut." We were both laughing as I went into my bathroom and Mary Beth closed the interconnecting door.

I quickly took care of business and knocked on the door. "Come in, silly."

That sounds like an invitation to be silly. Now what would be a silly way to enter? I swung the door open, dropped to my hands and knees. Slowly I crawled through the door; of course, I had put on my sad puppy-dog-face.

"Matilda, what are you doing?"

"Just being silly, as you instructed."

"I didn't tell you to be silly!"

"Yes you did. You said 'Come in silly'."

"I meant that you are silly, and for you to come in. Oh, just get over here and eat your lunch you nut! You're in one of your goofy moods, I see." Mary Beth shook her head and chuckled.

As I jumped up and sat on the couch next to Mary Beth, I hugged her, saying, "Thanks, I knew you would enjoy a little humor."

"I just hope you can contain your sense of humor during choir practice. Now let's eat and get going." She giggled again, still shaking her head.

I looked at the table; two plates with submarine sandwiches and an apple, all wrapped in cellophane. I'd seen this picture before, ... I started giggling as I remembered where and why.

"Now what are you giggling at?"

"I was remembering the last time I had a sub and fruit wrapped in cellophane. It was about ten weeks ago, and I was in trouble for telling you about the Manor."

"You never told me about this place."

"Oh yes I did, … well, sort of. Remember the day in Liberty Park, when I cried on your shoulder for an hour or more? I told you about the things I had to do learning to be a girl. Then my mother came to the park and then we went to my house for lunch. You were laughing at the tiny fork and spoon I was eating with, remember?"

"I remember that day. You never said anything about Immigration Manor."

"Oh, I never used the school’s name, but I told you about the tiny fork and spoon, about Miss Adams and Miss Baker. I told you almost everything."

"You were here?"

"Well actually, I was next door, in my room."

"I mean, you were here at the Manor?"

"Oh that! Well, yes. I spent seven days here, learning to walk, talk, eat and think like a girl. How did we do?"

"Well, ... You're the girlyest girl that I know. Someday we've got to teach you about girls’ pants. You don't need to wear skirts all the time," she giggled, poking my ribs.

"Would you like to explain about the panties with lace, and the short frilly nighties you like to wear, my girly girlfriend?" I giggled

"All right, all right, I guess we're both girly girls," giggling her reply. "If you're finished, we better get going."

"Sure thing. Let me get a jacket."

Mary Beth thought the jacket idea was a good one. She grabbed a jacket, then we went into my room, where I got one, and we were off.

Choir practice this afternoon was challenging. We spent the first half hour working on some carols in English. For the next hour and a half, we sang the same carols, only this time in French. When Mary Beth asked Mrs. Taylor what we should do, being that we don't know French, she told us that because we knew the carols in English, we should listen to the others and mimic what they were saying. She suggested that it would help in our lessons.

After practice, and during dinner, Mary Beth and I were very popular. Everyone wanted to know more about us, where we came from, what our specialties were, even the names of our dolls and where they came from. I had to confess that I didn’t know anything about a specialty. Ruth, today’s psychiriast was a little surprised by that. She indicated that it must have been an oversight and we would be assigned specialties very soon. We were talking so much, I almost didn't have time to eat. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on. There was more talking taking place at our table than any other. Only, the conversations at the other tables were in French. By talking to us, they could use English instead of French. That's was okay by me; it was still good to get to know more about each other.

After dinner, all of year A was sitting around in our lounge. We had about an hour before the second choir practice of the day. Some were working on their French homework; some were playing Monopoly, the Paris version, of course. Mary Beth and I were quietly talking about the last few days. Mary Beth and I had been here for almost two days now. I was really starting to miss my family. I knew that Mary Beth missed her family as well. I guess the fact that we were becoming homesick was a little too obvious, because Misa and Morgan came over to talk with us. Looking back, I realize that they were trying to lift our spirits. It was kind of them to help distract our thoughts. Misa, it turns out is quite an interesting person, both her parents are Japanese. She speaks Japanese fluently, and agreed to teach us.

There are twenty, year A students, including Mary Beth and me, so there was no reason for us to feel lonely. The problem is, the rest of them had all started here together last June, and they've had about five months to become friends. I knew that in a few months, we’d all be great friends, but for right now, it was just the two of us.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Jenny stopped what she was doing and went to see who had come to pay us a visit. It's odd when I think about it, that the staff and psychiatrists must ask permission to enter the lounge.

"Hallo Ellen, entrer s'il vous plait"

"Evening Jenny," Ellen replied solemnly, and in English, not French.

'She seems to be upset about something.'

"I need Matilda and Mary Beth to come with me." When I heard Ellen mention my name, I got up and started for the door. Even though they were speaking softly, I could make out what they were saying. "Jenny, I need several of you to be here when I bring them back. I don't want them left alone tonight, do you understand?"

"I am not sure what you mean ..."

"I mean, that they aren't to be left alone, Jenny! Several of you are authorized to skip choir practice, as I'm not sure when I'll be bringing them back."

"What about tonight?"

"Break out the sleeping bags, Jenny. Set them up here in the lounge, for as many of you that want to stay together tonight, to help comfort them. Please ask Howard and Vikk to be among those staying with them. Vikk will be able to help more than you know. But whoever stays with them, they're not to be left alone, for any reason."

"Hello Ellen. Is there a problem?" I asked.

"I'm afraid that there is. Would both of you come with me please?"

Ellen didn't wait for an answer as she turned and headed for the door. We quickly grabbed our jackets off the coat racks in the corner and followed Ellen, who led us out of the lounge and our dorm.

We went across the grass, skirting around the other buildings, instead of going through them. We were heading for a small two-story building at the far end of the complex, which I've not been in before. I took out my PDA to check on its designation. It came up as the school’s hospital. I showed the screen to Mary Beth, who looked as worried as I was.

As I put my PDA away, I took Mary Beth's hand. 'Now why is Ellen taking us to the hospital? Neither of us are sick, aside from a little home sickness.'

We entered and went through what was an obviously a seldom used waiting room, passing through a set of double doors, that told us this was definitely a hospital. Part way down the hallway there were some stairs. Ascending to the second story, we emerged into what looked like the nurses station at Primary Children's. To my surprise, Marie was there. She saw us and nodded to Ellen.

I was about to say hello when Ellen turned and went down the hall. Three rooms down, she stopped. "Ellen, what is it? Why are we here?" Ellen didn't say anything; I think she was on the verge of tears. She opened the door and indicated that we should enter.

Inside, Dr. Harris was checking on a patient in the bed. I guess this was the new job he mentioned to Dr. Farnsworth. In the corner, a woman was sitting bent over with her face in her hands. She was definitely crying.

"Dr. Harris?" I asked, timidly.

"Oh, Matilda, you're here ..."

Before Dr. Harris could say any more, the crying woman came up behind me and hugged me, still crying uncontrollably. It was then that I recognized her.

"Mom, what's going on? Why are you crying? Why are you here? What's happened? Why am I here?" Mom was crying too much to talk.

I still hadn't seen who was in the bed, as Dr. Harris was blocking my view. "Matilda," He began, "I want you to know how very sorry we all are about this. We're doing everything that we can for her. I don't think she is in any imminent danger. The x-rays show that there wasn't any damage to her internal organs. We've arranged for the very best people to take care of her. I'm afraid that her recovery is going to take a very long time. The casts will come off her arms in about two to three months. The big question we have, is will she be able to walk again? Well, ... we won't know that until the casts come off both of her legs in about seven or eight months. Of course, you'll be able to visit almost any time you want. I'm sure she will appreciate seeing someone besides me and Marie."

"Dr. Harris, what are you talking about? Who's in that bed?" My voice was trembling as I asked.

Dr. Harris wasn't blocking Mary Beth's view. She came over to me; put her arms around me as she was crying, along with Mom. 'Easy guys, I'm the small one, remember. I can't hold up both of you.'

"Matilda, I'm sorry," Dr. Harris apologized as he stepped aside. "But it's Rachael."

Lying on the bed before me was my little sister. She was unconscious, fortunately. Both her arms and legs were in casts, supported by traction ropes. There was a respirator tube tapped to her mouth. There were two IV bags hanging, I don't know where the needles were, obviously not in her arms.

'I don't know who did this to my sister, but I will find out, and they will pay for it. Someday, somehow, I will make them pay for what they have done, they are going to LIVE to regret this.'

To be continued

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

'The differences in gender'

How someone is dressed really is a matter of culture rather than gender. The cultural (read societal) choice is to dress to accentuate and facilitate gender. The dressing itself is not genderal (new word?). Cip some societies in africa, south america and australia do not utilize bras or blouses (any prepubecent male who has gone to a school library knows that from looking in a national geographic magazine).

In the western (read european) cultures these garments are utilized indicating a difference in moral mems not a difference in gender. I think this gender dysphoria condition is rooted in a need to be socially acceptable more than in any real disconnect between body and mind. Another way to look at it is women's wearing of pants. It is a cultural thing and not every woman who wears pants has a gender issue.

What I'm saying is I view this as a social issue rather than a medical condition. And that isn't an attempt to dismiss the importance of it to the(an) individual.

Matilda And Mary Beth

find comfort in Immigration Manor. Their bonding becomes very special as their special dolls become known. Matilda's zone out while playing with her doll might hint at a need she has. But who hurt Rachael? Was it Black Bart? Yes, Matilda, REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD. I pity the one that gets Matilda mad.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So is this story set before

So is this story set before or after Matilda got in trouble in "A new kind of Education". Either way, it is interesting to read another version of the same type story. Knowing what can happen, I "pity the fools" as BK Baracas (Mr. "T") used to say. Janice Lynn

Second reading

Jamie Lee's picture

Been some years, but a second reading of a great story never hurts.

Others have feelings too.

Time to start this tale...

After reading Raised in SLC, Concrete Cows, Different Plane, Christmas Gift, Bundle of Joy, Hope, New Style (to date) and Hidden Gifts (to date) (phew!), I'm finally ready to tackle Hills.

And what a start! Everything goes swimmingly right up until the bombshell - presumably the attacker was a friend of Dad (since Dad's already on remand awaiting jail - and hopefully the friend is en-route to jail as well...)

Only one way to find out...keep reading!

 
 
--Ben


This space available for rent.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I want more!

Great beginning of new book Penny! Espicialy after seeing end of this chapter, I'm curious on whom and how would Matilda make its bittersweet revenge and what will happen with Rachel next? Question after question, one want more and more. So make another chapter ASAP, please, will you?
A little more than impatient
Robin

me two want more

i love the new book ten out of ten whats can i say

lynn

I need more to please :)

... Good start for a new series Penny! You have lots of characters and lots of relationships begging to be tweaked out and played with. Poor Matilda has a lot of little secrets and habits that are going to have to be modified or altered and dealt with because of lack of privacy and closeness with Mary Beth.

Please keep this great tale continuing as it has my interest and I have absolutely enjoyed the first one!

*hugs Penny*

Sephrena Miller