Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1211.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1211
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Once I got anywhere near the town centre I met traffic–grid locked traffic–why oh why don’t these imbeciles leave their cars at home when it snows? All they do is clog up the roads for those of us who can drive in these conditions.

If hadn’t been in such a hurry, I could have enjoyed the entertainment of cars spinning wheels and going nowhere; of white van man braking–the thing you never do on ice–and turning round to face where he’d come from and with a face as pale as his van.

I watched a cyclist on a modified mountain bike, his front wheel missing and his forks screwed into a homemade sledge–he was fine until he came across some cleared pavement and he came to a rapid deceleration. I didn’t see if he fell off because at that moment my attention was taken by the traffic moving forward a few yards.

It took me over an hour to do what is normally a twenty minute journey. I have a very poor estimation of motorists based on years of abuse by them on me as a cyclist, today didn’t improve things–most of them have IQs in single figures and are so self absorbed they probably didn’t even notice it was snowing. They still drive the same–accelerate-brake-accelerate-brake and wonder why they have accidents. I wonder if stupidity is inherent in motorists and politicians?

I parked and paid for my car–the hospital doesn’t clear the car park but still charges you for the privilege of leaving your vehicle at your own risk on a compressed/snow/slush/ice substrate–really nice of them. My anger subsided when I did some unexpected ballet on the ice and just managed to stay upright although it completely messed up my funk.

At A&E the receptionist recognised me and asked why I was there this time? I replied to see my father, Professor Agnew. She told me to take a seat while she made some enquiries.

The waiting area was full of long faced, bored individuals who I’m sure had better things to do than wait for minor injuries to be looked at or wait with those who were injured. Several kids were nursing injured arms and legs and I was half tempted to ask if they wanted me to sort them to reduce the queue, but then perhaps it’s all part of their Karma to spend hours of boredom in this soulless place watching equally inept individuals do the same.

Either way, it wasn’t mine and I was called to reception and told that Tom was up on the EMU ward. I wandered off in search of it. District general hospitals are big places and the QA is no exception. I eventually found Tom’s ward and waited to speak to the nurse in charge who was a very nice young male charge nurse.

“Your father is very poorly.”

“Yes, I know, it was I who called the ambulance and have been trying to get here ever since.”

“Roads are bad are they?”

“Diabolical may be more apposite.”

“Wonderful, I’m back on earlies tomorrow–I’ll just about have time to get home and it’ll be time to come back in again.”

“It might have cleared by then?”

“Yeah, and we might have a Saharan sandstorm to save them gritting.” He gave me a resigned look and shook his head. “Your dad is on antibiotics and has some sort of chest infection–we suggest you wear a face mask to see him and make sure you wash your hands after you leave.” He pointed to some wash basins and skin cleansing gel–the latter is useless for the most part unless you’ve just washed your hands–it’s there as a PR exercise.

I pulled on the face mask and felt like a cross between someone in the US TV series ER–which I thought was about the Queen–and a bank robber. Tom was sleeping so I went and sat alongside him and took his hand.

Without opening his eyes he said quietly, “Och, I kent ye’d come.”

“The traffic is dreadful, I should have been here ages ago.”

“Aye, weel ye’re here thae noo.”

“Yes, Daddy–just lie back and think of Eng–um–I mean–Scotland.”

“Aye, alricht once I tellt ye aboot ma will.”

“Why, you’re going to be fine in a few days and live so long we’ll all be too old to inherit from you.”

“I’m a realist, Cathy, jest in case ye hadnae realised.”

“I know, Daddy, I’m an optimist and I’m usually right.”

“I’m no gonna argue wi’ye, jest listen tae whit I tell ye.”

I blushed. “Okay, fire away.”

He coughed and spat some bloody phlegm into a little pot and put the lid back on. He was breathless for two or three minutes and I waited patiently for him to speak. “In ma filin’ cabinet, there’s a muckle broon envelope wi’ yer name on it. It’ll tell ye whit tae dae if I should pop ma clogs. I’ve left everythin’ tae ye, make sure thon kids o’ yourn get a share o’ ma money.”

I felt a tear run down my face, followed by another. “I will, Daddy, I promise.”

“Jest a precaution.”

“Of course–but you need to get well again.”

“Fa whit?”

“To run the survey and...”

“Och, ye’ll need tae see tae it. I’ve tellt thae Dean, he kens whit tae dae.”

“What about my PhD?”

“There’ll be others who can supervise ye.”

“But I want you to do it.”

“An’ want ye ta stop a’ this adventure stuff, but will ye?”

“I’ll try if you will?”

“Ye’ve got a deal,” he squeezed my hand, “Noo piss off an’ look efter those bairns o’ yers.” With that adieu, he sent me on my way and told me not to come in tomorrow if the roads were still bad. On the way out, I gave my mobile number to the charge nurse and asked him to let me know if there was any news or change in his condition.

I then went back to the car, sat there and cried for I don’t know how long. How could I tell him how much I loved him and how grateful I was for his belief in me and his personal support. How could I thank him for all he’d done for me and the rest of my family. He’d given me a home and I’d repaid him by causing a full scale invasion and filling his every nook and cranny with children and noise–which he said he loved.

I remember him telling me about his wife and daughter, and how I’d sort of filled part of the void in his life. I remember too how he’d told me his was a family home which should reverberate to the laughter of children and how I’d made that happen, something he’d almost given up on. A tear dripped into my lap and I jumped out of my skin when the window of my car was tapped by a man in a dark coat.

I opened the window a fraction, “Are you alright, Miss? I’ve been watching you for about ten minutes and you seem very upset.”

I nodded, “I’m okay, my father is very ill–sorry, I have to go.” I started up the Cayenne and nearly ran over his foot in my haste to remove myself from his prying and his pity.

The roads were still busy but I got home in forty minutes, hoping my eyes would lose some of their redness before the children saw me. I parked the car next to Tom’s LandRover and that made me feel sad, then I trudged up to the door and let myself in.

“Mummy,where have you been?” demanded Trish, “Daddy’s been trying to call you on your mobile.”

“Oh, sorry, I switched it off in the hospital.”

“There you are,” Simon came up and hugged me. “How is he?”

All the subterfuges I worked out on the way home to prevent upsetting the kids went out the window, and I gasped, “He thinks he’s going to die,” and sobbed on Simon’s shoulder.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oy

You leave white van man alone, he's a busy boy!! (Or girl!)

On a more humane note. I hope Tom gets better.

Still loving the story.
Love and hugs.
Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Daily Dormouse-1211

Maybe Trish will Blue Light Gramps since Cathy can't

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You Made Me Cry

littlerocksilver's picture

Damn, I was afraid of that.

Portia

Portia

Sorry Cathy but

it's the circle of life. If we're very fortunate, we get to outlive our parents; but they have to go sometime. It sounds as though Cathy might finally realise that she and her family have filled a big hole in Tom's life; yes, it would be great if he survived the infection but coughing up bloody phlegm is not good.

Now, where's the rest of those blasted tissues?

S.

Mortality

This episode highlights another possible reason why BLH isn't intervening - it might be Tom's time to depart. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns up in a dream / vision afterwards, to let her know in no uncertain terms that he's OK and it's about bl**dy time she stopped grieving and got on with living life again. I'd imagine one of the children would take over responsibility for Kiki, although since Simon will now be spending significantly more time at home, he'll probably inherit "Walkies!", especially as with the frequency of trouble finding the family, he'd probably be marginally safer out and about than one of the children.

You never know, if Tom dies, it might eventually pave the way for another biologist to move in eventually... Stella's beau. There's certainly lots of storyline potential in that - with Julie and Cathy having fawned over him as well as Stella, and as he's closer in age to the remaining adults, may prove to be a worthy uncle and male role model for Danny.

Meanwhile, this is a bit of a hectic month - Danny and Billie first arrived at the house somewhere between 5th and 8th December 2009 - so it's coming up to their first anniversary. Julie turns 17 on 9th December (only a few days away from where the timeline currently is) and she first arrived on 27th December 2009.

And in amongst the usual suspects for either the Christmas Day or Boxing Day meal, we can probably add Jenny and possibly her other half (I say possibly as he seems to spend a lot of time away from home - and given the current state of flights into the UK, if he's abroad might not be able to get back in time). After all, Jenny spends at least part of the week living at Chateau Agnew and will probably soon become an unofficial member of the family more than a paid employee.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

This did not sound

good for those of us who are fans of Tom. I guess we need to accept that BLH will not intervene if it really is someone's time but hard to think that a key character in this saga could be coming to his end.

Can Trish get Cathy's mind on bringing grandpa home?

White van man

For those of us who don't live in the UK, Wikipedia has an explanation of the significance of this phrase.

Most of the time, I pick things up quite readily. However, I have to confess that I didn't really understand why Cathy had chosen to dub her new ride, Pepper. After all, Cayenne was not mentioned in parts 1203 or 1204. So it was a big, "Doh" from me while reading this Bikesode, followed by a trawl back through previous installments to see if I'd missed any obvious clues. I hadn't, but then again, I don't have all that much familiarity with luxury vehicles, either.

Thanks A+B: I'm still waiting for Cathy to be called upon to perform a miracle or two, rapidly followed by the appearance of Delia. Like others here, I hope Tom is going to make a full recovery. Bike just wouldn't be the same without struggling through a Lallans translation every few episodes.

Pretty Sloppy


Bike Resources

Pepper

PS here in the States, Porshe only offers the Cayenne as their SUV, and here, it's a compact SUV. We have the Suburbon, The Excursion, the
Escalade and OMG the HUMMER ( not made any more). Maybe we catch on to Angahard faster because of this. She's a tricky one.

Cefin

Shame on You, Cathy!

"I started up the Cayenne and nearly ran over his foot in my haste to remove myself from his prying and his pity."

He was only trying to find out if you needed help. That's not necessarily either prying nor pity but you didn't stop to find out, did you?

While I'm disappointed in you, I know that we're all of us not at our best all the time. That's what I love about the Christian religion: it's not about what you succeed in doing; it's about what you try to do!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Whither goest Thou, Tom?

jmacaulay

Have confidence in Cathy's subconscious attachment to the powers of life. She may not understand the rules of the blue light, and has been unable to apply the healing to herself. Tom may be too close to Cathy for her to channel such awesome power, or it may be Tom's time. He has survived a prior heart attack, and another hospital stay around Part 540, so this isn't unprecedented. Perhaps if all the readers of Angharad's fascinating novel can write a note here on what they believe will happen. Collective blue light? Peace, Thomas Agnew, you're a guid man.
Jeannie

jmacaulay

I have a sinking feel that

I have a sinking feel that Tom knows his time is near. Many times people will realize that and understand that and there is nothing than can be done to prevent it.

Episode whitehall?

1212, here I show my age, prefixed by Whitehall, used to be the phone number often quoted on the police messages on BBC Home Service now BBC Radio 4), which in those days was the general phone in number for Metropolitan (i.e.London) Police! I know it's a long time since this episode of "Easy As . . ."was posted, but this info might be of interest to people like me who are busy catching up.

OY ! I agree with Beverly

My emotioins are bruised and battered from this Book
I've read 1200 chapters in just 3 months, just when I've recovered, WHAM ! Ang whacks me again with this Pathos !
I have no fingernails left from hanging from so many cliffs.
Now I'm concerned, Cathy tried to blue haze him, but Tom resisted. He instead, told her where to find his will.
I bet the dark-coated man in the parking lot was the Paster fighting the snow, to aid his flock.

Cefin