O My Son, My Daughter Absolom! 2

Printer-friendly version

O My Son, My Daughter, Absolom!

The next morning, Michael’s—or Mikki’s—family sits down to a good breakfast complete with all the nutrition, controversy, insight, and wit needed to begin a long, busy day.

II. Rise and Shine!

“Wake up, Mikki! Wake up!” Akiko gently shook her brother-newly-become-sister. “Time to get ready! Big day ahead!”

“Mm!” Michael thought and rolled over, caressing himself. “Wanna stay in bed. Mm! Feels good.”

Akiko grinned and giggled at her brother. She knew. Yes, she understood exactly what he was feeling. Michael was not rolling over in bed due to laziness. The way he had caressed himself signaled what she had thought might happen. Her brother had been seduced by one night of sleeping in lingérie. Putting satin sheets on his bed had also helped indulge Michael’s newly found girlish desires, a very nice touch, of which Akiko was quite proud.

“I know, Bro, but ya gotta get up!” she reiterated her wake-up call. “Rise and shine! Gotta put on your face and do your hair.”

“Uh?” Michael groaned. “Do I gotta?”

“Ya gotta! Time for a shower and all that,” Akiko confirmed as the sun slowly dawned in her brother’s mind. “I know you don’t wanna take your nightie off. You’ll always want to wear one to bed, now.”

“It’s not fair!” complained Michael—or now, Mikki. “Do girls’ undies always feel like this?”

Akiko just smiled.

“So, what’s all this called anyway?” Michael inquired.

“This general category of girls’ wear is lingérie. It includes underwear, sleepwear, and similar things that just make us feel pretty,” Akiko told him. “Your top is a camisole, also called a “cami,” and the bottoms are tap pants.

“Why does it feel this good?” he asked his sister.

“Because it’s all made of satin,” she explained. “I know just how you feel waking up, ’coz I feel the same way when I do.”

So Akiko smiled at herself. Christmas shopping for Michael just became so much easier.

* * *

Michael watched his sister intently as she finished applying the various cosmetics to his face. He could appreciate the focused expression on her face as she studied his, carefully choosing now the proper brush, then the correct stroke. It was the same look that Akiko had when doing homework or studying for a test. He then understood that she made the same effort getting dressed, making her face up, and styling her hair that she did to achieve academically.

“So that’s why you and your smart girlfriends always look so pretty,” Michael concluded aloud.

“Well, thanks!” Akiko beamed, but then dropping her voice added, “I think. Whatcha mean?”

“You’re as serious putting on makeup as you are doing your lessons,” her brother said. “You want an ‘A’ for turning me into a girl, don’t ya? Who’s grading?”

“Myself to start with,” she began. “Then there’s Mitsumi and Mom. And my girlfriends—the smart ones. And then the boys you run into—”

“Boys?”

“Yes. They’re the most important test. If they can’t tell you’re a boy, then I pass. If any hit on you, that’s extra credit!”

“Hit on me?”

“Of course,” she said. “You’re cute and hot. If I were a lesbian I’d date you—except that you’re my brother!

She turned him around to face the mirror again. He was speechless as his mouth dropped open.

“I’d date me, too!” Michael remarked in astonishment. “You do good work, Sis. You’ve fooled me and I know I’m a boy!”

“Thanks, Mikki!” Akiko offered him, giggling.

Michael—or rather Mikki—suddenly believed that he—or she—could really be hit on by a boy. He’d need to be careful.

“I’m still nervous about doing this, though.”

“That’s okay, Mikki. Relax and let yourself enjoy being a girl today. Our world is a little different from yours. Watch me and my girlfriends. Do what we do. Walk like us and talk like us and soon enough, you’ll be one of us! You look like any other pretty girl, so it’s only how you act that can give you away, now.”

Now you tell me!”

“Oh ease up, Mikki! You’re my sister today,” Akiko assured him. “We gotta look out for each other.”

With that, they went downstairs to the dining room for breakfast.

* * *

Gabriel carefully examined the images on the computer in the church office. He was mostly pleased with the photographs he had made of Akiko, Michael, and Mitsumi the night before. Their colorful costumes had been fun to work with. But he was especially proud of the photos of his siblings in the church salon.

When they had gathered in the salon they were all tired. Gabriel too had been fighting sleep. Nonetheless, when his little sister’s royal blue princess gown, his brother in the red and white jumper, and Akiko’s Red Cross nurse’s cap came together, he went to work. He caught the red, white, and blue flag of the Episcopal Church behind the loveseat at one angle and the Stars and Stripes in the background at another.

He was surprised, himself, at how interesting the photos looked when he had downloaded them. Indeed, he could barely remember taking the photos. He did recall, however, the complementing juxtaposition of colors and motifs that converged to form the pictures. Of course, Gabriel did not know at the time that he had made such creative judgements and perceived so many technical details of composition at the time. But in his own way, since he knew that he had a unique scene in front of him, he aimed the camera, framed the field of view, and took the shot.

He had printed out one photo for his mother, showing Mitsumi laying across Michael’s and Akiko’s laps. She had cried when she saw it. Although he didn’t think it was as good as his other photos of his siblings, his mother's reaction told him that she saw something more in it than he did. For some reason he felt uncomfortable about asking her, but she had always said that he could come to her about anything on his mind. Besides, that was the only way he could learn why that photo got such a strong response from her.

Maybe he should show his mother some of the other photos, too. He was trying to put a photo essay together for his art class. He had taken over a hundred photos just on Hallowe’en, and he still had time to do more. Then there were all the ones he had taken since Miss Martel had given them the assignment. He had hundreds of photos to choose from. But they had to tell a story.

But should he include the shots of his brother wearing the candy-striper uniform? If so, then how. They were some of his best work, but how would Michael feel? Gabriel himself felt uneasy about showing pictures of his brother dressed up like a girl, even if it were just a Hallowe’en costume. After all, he could get teased, too, if everyone thought of Michael as a sissy. He needed to ask his mother and his brother. He should probably ask everyone whose photos he took if it were all right to use their pictures.

Then he remembered that Michael had gone by the name “Mikki” in costume. It might help if he used that name instead of “Michael” or “Mike.” He certainly did look like a girl when he was in costume and in the photographs. No one would think that she was a boy! Gabriel smiled to himself as he made a few notes. He closed the three-ring binder that he used as a photo album, took it and his camera, then went to breakfast.

* * *

Stunned, Keiko covered her mouth with her hands as Akiko and Mikki entered the dining room.

“Do I have three daughters now?” she wondered aloud, not even aware that she had verbalized her thought for all to hear.

“Just for the weekend, Mom,” Michael answered, twirling around so that his mother could see the full effect. But since he was unaccustomed to high heels, he nearly stumbled. Fortunately, Akiko caught him before he either fell or injured himself.

“Well, I’m glad Mikki is still here for the weekend,” said Mitsumi. “I wish she could stay longer.”

“Really?” Akiko asked her for confirmation.

“Why can’t she?” Mitsumi asked. “I think she’s sweet!”

“Because your brother only promised to become a girl for the weekend,” Keiko told her youngest daughter. “Come Monday, ‘Mikki’ has to become ‘Michael’ again.”

“But I can still wish for it, can’t I?” Mitsumi pressed the issue. “I like having another sister. Then maybe we can dress Gabe up, too. Then we’d all be sisters!”

“Sorry, Sis, but I don’t wanna play,” Gabe responded to what he’d overheard just as he entered the dining room. “I can’t imagine any reason that I’d ever dress up like a girl.”

“I’m not surprised by that,” Mikki quipped. “You’re not man enough to do it!”

Keiko decided to intervene before her sons’ verbal sparring escalated. Usually, she’d let them continue until they had fully explored an exchange of wit. Most often, it would end with something humorous, with both Michael and Gabriel laughing themselves into a healthy truce. But she had a reason clearly in mind.

“Mikki, quiet down!” Keiko sternly addressed her older son. “That’s the kind of behavior that can get ‘Michael’ found out. A young lady needs to tease her brother more gently than that. Besides girls tease more to show affection than to compete with others.”

Actually, Keiko was amused that Michael, en femme to the hilt, had the effrontery to tease his more aggressive brother about manliness. This experiment of Akiko’s might already be helping Michael’s confidence.

After pausing a moment, everyone took their a seat at the table for breakfast. It had been set with the family’s usual choice of breakfast foods for everyone: grape, orange, and grapefruit juices; a very large platter of scrambled eggs with cheese and breakfast potatoes; whole wheat buttered toast and English muffins with a variety of jams; an array of jams, jellies, fruit preserves, and marmalades; and a pot of freshly brewed tea. [As a family, we preferred tea to coffee, mostly for cultural reasons.]

“Mikki, are you excited about spending your first full day as a girl?” Keiko asked her son-become-daughter.

“I’m not sure if I’m excited or just nervous,” Mikki answered, “but I’m kinda psyched up for it now.”

“Well, you’re very brave to spend the weekend as a girl,” their mother remarked.

“Mom, I think we’re going to have all kinds o’ fun today,” Akiko predicted. “I’ve already called my friends and they’re anxious to meet my new ‘sister.’ We’ll go shopping, then have lunch, see a movie, and maybe hang out at someone’s place after dinner.”

“That’s busy enough,” their mother observed. “Whose home do you think you’ll hang out at?”

“We don’t know yet, Mom,” Akiko admitted. “It depends on who all shows up and who has the biggest house. I’d like to invite them here, if it’s all right with you?”

“I’m sure you could get together here in the dining room or maybe in the parlor,” Keiko suggested.

“The parlor would be best if they wanna come here,” Akiko concluded with a sparkle in her eye. It’s more comfortable than in here. The dining table would really be in the way unless we only play board games. That won’t be what we’ll prob’ly do.”

Mitsumi then asked, “Could I have my friends over, too?”

“As big as the rectory is, I think you could,” their mother answered. “How many did you want to invite?”

“Just Sally and Lisa—and maybe Stephanie, if she wants to come,” Mitsumi answered.

“Akiko, how many more than you and Mikki?” Keiko asked.

“Jenny and ’Becca are certain, and Susan is a very likely third. There’s an outside chance that Lori might come, so that would be at least two and up to four besides Mikki and me.”

Gabriel wanted to get involved so he asked, “Mom, would it be okay for me to take some photos of them?”

“That’s really their choice, Gabe,” his mother told him. “It’s okay with me if you get their permission. And you must stop anytime they say so. Okay?”

“That’s fair,” Gabriel replied. “Could I get a few shots of Mikki?”

“Not just now, but maybe after breakfast,” Keiko suggested. “Mikki, how do you feel about that?” Are you willing to be photographed today?”

Mikki looked to Akiko, who nodded. Mitsumi also nodded, smiling. Gabriel’s face was pleading in hopeful expectation as well.

“What would you do with the pictures?” Mikki asked Gabriel. “Yesterday you said you didn’t want anyone knowing that I wore a dress for Hallowe’en. Are you going to keep them safe?”

“Well, Mom will want a few for the occasion, I’m sure,” explained Gabriel. His mother nodded slowly, grinning. “And I’m doing a photo essay for my project in art class.”

“For art class?” Mikki asked indignantly. “You want to display them?”

“You’re an interesting subject, Bro,” Gabriel answered. “It might be embarassing, but you do make a cute girl!”

Akiko and Mitsumi giggled.

“Mom, is that fair? He wants to take my picture even though he said he’s embarassed of me!” Mikki fumed. Akiko and Mitsumi were still giggling. Even their mother was smiling. It wasn’t the best behavior, but Mikki had expressed her near-tantrum in a very girlish style.

“Gabe, Mikki is right,” their mother said. “If you want to take her picture, then you need to be nicer to her.”

“Her? But she’s my brother!” objected Gabriel.

Keiko had to think a moment before fielding her son’s obvious objection.

“Gabe, while Michael is dressed as Mikki, she is your sister,” their mother explained. “You need to think of him as her, instead. This is like an experiment that she and Akiko are doing. And the truth, son, is that you might learn something if you tried doing it, yourself.”

Gabriel’s face turned ashen white, while Mitsumi, Akiko, and yes, Mikki, all giggled.

“See!” Mitsumi piped up. “You can be a girl, too! Please, Gabe!”

Gabriel bolted from the table and ran, feeling outnumbered. Whenever they would have these boy versus girl arguments, they had always been more evenly pitched. But now his brother had joined the opposing faction. Yet what Gabriel most resented was that his brother had become a pretty girl. Mikki did not look like a boy who had just thrown on a dress. Akiko had made his brother into an attractive girl. He looked really good as Mikki. He looked right. That’s why he wanted to use him—her—as a subject. Gabriel needed Mikki. He loved his brother and he liked Mikki, too. But he didn’t like Michael being Mikki.

I bumped into Gabe as I was coming into the dining room for breakfast. He looked frightened. As I heard giggling coming from inside, I had to wonder, what was up?

Keiko kissed me on arriving to breakfast. Then I noticed three “daughters” seated at the table. Mikki was there, keeping the promise that Michael had made for his bet with Akiko.

“Son, I see that you’re going through with it,” I remarked, smiling at Michael. “You’re a brave man.”

My two other more accustomed daughters giggled at my remark.

“Thanks, Dad, I think?” Mikki acknowledged. “I made a promise and I’m keeping it. And I’ve learned not to let Akiko sucker me into any more bets.”

“Dad, we’ve heard that before,” Akiko reminded her father. “And look at him—sorry—at her, now!”

“Yeah, Sis!” Mikki interjected. “Be more careful with the pronouns. I’ll be the one who pays if you mess up!”

“Well, Mikki,” Akiko replied, giggling, “you’ll just have to trust me, won’t you?”

“Dad, I don’t think that’s quite fair, do you?” Mikki looked to me for a judgement. “It’s all on me if she blows it!”

“Akiko, Mikki does have a point,” I told my oldest daughter. “But off-hand, I can’t think of a mechanism to balance things if you let slip that Mikki’s your brother, unless you’re willing to release him from paying his wager, that is. Maybe your mom has an idea?”

I looked over at Keiko and she spoke up, “No, I think that Michael needs to remain as Mikki for the weekend. It’s a unique opportunity for him to learn about girls. For our son to experience a couple days as a girl will be a very positive lesson. I also think that he’s willing, since he’s already dressed up as her. Am I right, Mikki?”

“I promised Akiko that I’d do it, so I’m committed to being a girl for the weekend,” Mikki confirmed. “Besides, if I know my sister like I think I do, when Mom asked her to pack for us to stay here, she didn’t put a thread of my own clothes in my bag. Did you, Sis?”

She held her lips tightly closed, although I perceived a very slight raising of the corners of her mouth, as if Akiko couldn’t entirely suppress the grin. The blushing of her face functioned well as a truth indicator.

“Akiko, did you pack only girl’s clothing for your brother?” Keiko asked in disbelief. What would you have done if you had lost the bet? What would Michael have done?”

“Yeah, Sis,” Mikki asked, “what would you have done if I had won?”

“Mom, Dad,” Akiko began, “have you ever known Michael to win one of our bets?”

Keiko just shook her head while I chuckled and Mitsumi giggled.

“No. Never,” my wife conceded. “But still, how would you have dealt with it?”

“I would have very nicely asked my brother to dress up as Mikki again. And after yesterday, I know he would have.”

“But s’pose he acted like Gabe and got scared?” Mitsumi asked, entering the discussion. “Or even really mad?”

“Is that why he was running out when I came in?” I asked.

Hai!” Keiko responded. “Mitsumi had expressed her wish that Gabe would dress up, too.”

“That way, we all could be sisters,” explained our youngest. “I was hoping he would. But I didn’t mean to tease him.”

“Honey,” my wife addressed me, “I had also suggested that it might be a good experience for Gabe, but for some reason, I think it really frightened him.”

“I’ll talk to him, then,” I volunteered to Keiko before redirecting the discussion back to its earlier topic. “So Akiko, what would you have done if your brother hadn’t gone along with your plan?”

“I had money with me so I could run down to the thrift shop and buy him a pair of jeans and a shirt,” Akiko answered. “But I still think that Michael would have gone along with it, wouldn’t he, Mikki?”

“Yesterday I had a good time being Mikki, both at the Hallowe’en party and at the Vigil,” confessed Michael. “Sis could have easily convinced me to continue, because I didn’t have anything special planned today. If I hadn’t dressed up like this, the day might have been a real drag.”

Keiko and I both laughed at that one, while Akiko groaned. Both our boys each had an impeccable sense of comic timing, and as Mikki, our son managed to make such an obvious cliché sound fresh and novel. Akiko had maintained a wry grin as she was about to swat Mikki in the back of the head, but stopped when she remembered all the work she had done styling her brother’s hair in a French braid.

“What’s so funny?” inquired a very bewildered Mitsumi.

“Honey, do you know what drag means?” Keiko asked her daughter.

“It means to pull something across the ground or the floor,” Mitsumi defined very simply, “or it can mean that something is boring and takes too long. Isn’t that what Mikki meant?”

“Well, yes,” Keiko began, “but it’s also used for a boy dressing up like a girl. That’s being in drag.”

“So there’s a word for it, then?” Mitsumi mused, trying to understand the meaning. “Can I say my brother’s cute in drag?”

“You most certainly can,” confirmed Akiko, “since it’s true! Mikki is quite pretty.”

“Thank you, ladies,” Mikki offered, acknowledging graciously her sisters’ support. “Mom, Dad, Akiko promised that this will be fun for me and she suggested that I enjoy it. Believe it or not, I think I’m looking forward to going out like this.”

Keiko then put another question as I continued with breakfast.

“So Mikki—or maybe this question is really for Michael—I’m not certain—but how comfortable are the clothes for you?—I mean their physical comfort for you?” she asked.

“Except for the shoes, they feel great!” Mikki answered. “The feeling’s very different—strange to be honest—but very nice, especially the underwear. The shoes are a definite challenge, though. I wore Akiko’s maryjanes yesterday and they were fine, but I just don’t get these heels!”

“Now you’re learning some of what we girls put up with to look pretty,” Akiko explained. “But in pantyhose and those pumps, your legs look great! And the pleated skirt shows them off really nice, too.”

“Seriously, Mikki,” Keiko advised, “your prettier than many girls your age, if not most. And Akiko, you’ve done well dressing her in good taste.”

“Thanks, Mom,” she acknowleged. “I wanted Mikki’s look to be fun and a little flirty, but still tasteful. She’ll prob’ly turn a few heads today, won’t you, Mikki?”

Mikki definitely blushed at that. Thinking back to the previous night, though, I recalled how I failed to recognize Michael in his feminine guise. Mikki had stood next to me, illuminating the Gospel with her candle while I read it. I had thought that she were just another of Akiko’s friends that I had yet to meet. And even looking right at him—or her—I saw a young teenage girl who had resembled Keiko at the same age, but not Michael. Then, when there was some confusion about where he was, he had been standing behind me, beside me, or even right in front of me. But never once did I suspect that Mikki was actually my son. This was not only because Akiko had costumed him and made him up so well, but also because Mikki was so attractive. She did not appear in the least to look like a boy in a dress. Instead, Mikki looked like any other cute teenage girl who was learning successfully how to groom herself for best effect. But taken out of the dress and cosmetics, Michael would still look like any other teenage boy.

Mitsumi piped up again. “Is she wearing a bra, too?” she asked, giggling. I was not surprised that Keiko giggled, too, at our youngest daughter’s naively innocent, yet impertinent question. But it did surprise me when Mikki joined in with his—her—own fit of the giggles.

“I let him choose one of my old training bras,” Akiko replied to Mitsumi’s question. “It was a nice satiny one in a very pretty blue with a matching panty.”

“I thought training bras are always white,” Mitsumi remarked. “Why blue? Is it Mikki’s favorite color?”

“Training bras can be any color,” Akiko informed her little sister. “But white is easily the most popular color for any kind of bra.”

“As for the color,” Mikki interjected her reply, “I wanted a blue bra because I’m a boy!”

Akiko giggled yet again as Mitsumi squealed in delight. Keiko and I laughed the hardest we had in a while.

I had been impressed at how easily Michael had accepted his sisters’ teasing. But now as Mikki, he was even teasing himself. This, too, was unexpected and I felt a small surge of fatherly pride. Here was my son dressed as a girl, but never had I been so sure of his growing maturity—and yes, manliness—as I was just then. Michael puts on a skirt and a blouse, pantyhose, and high heels—and he becomes a man! All this was just a little too perplexing for me to discuss at breakfast.

“We need to return to an earlier question, everyone,” I announced. “It’s not fair that the burden of this exercise fall entirely on Mikki if Akiko lets slip the secret, which she might easily do using the wrong name or prononun. Any ideas on how Akiko should compensate for such a slip-up?”

“She could pick up my chores for a week,” suggested Mikki.

“Too long,” protested Akiko. “You’re only dressing up for a weekend.”

“Yes, but for me the outcome’s much worse than you might think if the guys find out,” Mikki pressed her case.

“Mikki’s right,” Keiko pronounced her verdict. “Akiko, Michael’s assuming most, if not all, of the risk in spending the weekend as a girl. If the guys find out he’s gone out in drag, the embarassment he’d likely face would be much worse than any you’ve had before.”

“I haven’t really thought much about that,” admitted Akiko. “Is it that bad for a boy dressing up as a girl?”

“Yes, sweetheart,” I confirmed, not yet wanting to tell her just how bad it could get. Too much was already in play, so this would not be the best moment to disabuse her innocence. “For a boy to do anything that his friends or other guys would think of as feminine or ‘sissy’ might have longer term results than a girl would expect. That’s why you need to appreciate your brother’s courage in paying off his bet to you this way.”

Akiko looked to her mother, as if hoping for dissent, but Keiko simply nodded, concurring with my explanation. As a father, I couldn’t count how often I had been blessed to have a pediatric nurse for my wife and the mother of my children. Keiko had not only the love for her family that a wife and mother must, but also the detached, objective mind of a scientist. She’s one of the few people in the world whose heart and head could—and would—constantly work in synch. That added to the touch of her delicately skilled hands made her the ideal nurse.

“How ’bout picking up my chores for three days, then?” Mikki adjusted her negotiating position. “Say, for a weekend including the Friday?”

“That would be fair,” Akiko conceded.

“It sounds like you two have reached your own agreement on it,” I observed. “What do you think, Keiko?”

“They’ve just shown a knack for fairness and compromise of their own. Even if could think of a better agreement, I’d still prefer to let their own stand. To me it seems fair and honest, but even more important they negotiated it themselves.”

Akiko and Mikki exchanged grins. They seemed to be competing for some citizenship award. This were likely a unique set of circumstances for the family, and certainly Akiko, Mikki, and even in her own way, Mitsumi were sensing and taking advantage of the situation. For some reason, this had been lost on Gabriel, so perhaps he needed some help or advice. I noticed that he had left his digital camera and his three-ring photo album on the table. I had to fight the urge to browse through the album or the memory card in his camera. But I wanted to respect his privacy. Besides, these items were a clue to another topic of discussion.

“Why did Gabriel have his camera and photo album at the table?” I wondered aloud.

Mitsumi spoke up first. “Gabe wants to take pictures of Mikki, Akiko, and their friends for his art project. He would have to display these in his art class. But he also said yesterday that he did not want his friends to find out Michael dressed up like a girl for Hallowe’en. I don’t think Mikki thought it made sense.”

Clearly, it was Mitsumi’s turn to shine. I was surprised by how succinct and lucid her statement was. Then, I wondered if it were so accurate as it was simple. So I addressed everyone else for confirmation. “Is what Mitsumi said the gist of what happened?”

All nodded.

“Anything to add, anyone?” I asked.

“Gabe ran out when I asked him to dress up with Mikki,” added Mitsumi. “I just thought it would be fun for all of us to be sisters today.”

“And as I mentioned earlier,” Keiko continued with her own detail, “that was in the context of what I had said just before, that it might be a learning experience for him. I don’t think he was angry—he was scared—and confused, I think. Maybe one of us should talk to him?”

Of course, Keiko had meant for herself or me to talk with Gabriel. We did not expect our little girl to be quite so vocal in resolving our issue with our younger son. But she was apparently taking responsibility that Gabriel had misunderstood what she had said.

“I can talk to him, Mom!” Mitsumi responded. “He thought I was teasing him, but I wasn’t. I really did want him to dress up like Mikki, so we could all be like sisters.”

Apparently, Mitsumi felt some guilt that expressing her desire had been the occasion for Gabriel’s flight. She did want to see both her brothers dressed as girls because, knowing my daughter, she really believed that it would make them happy as well as herself. And in her own little world, her reasoning was logical indeed. It just did not mesh well with her brother Gabriel’s world.

“Mitsumi, I’ll talk to him,” Keiko told her, “and if I think it will help, I’ll ask you to talk to him, too. But please, I need you to understand that this is not your fault. You simply told us your wish and that’s okay. If Gabe is upset about what you like, then he must deal with it, himself. What you wish for is your choice. You have that right!”

“But he seemed so upset. Why is he so scared of dressing up like a girl?” Mitsumi pressed for an explanation.

At that moment, Mikki spoke up. “Most boys are afraid of dressing up like girls. Gabe getting upset when you said you’d like him to is normal, really. Even though I’m doing it, I’m still a little scared.”

“Then how can you do it if you’re still afraid?” Mitsumi continued to press the discussion.

“That’s courage,” I said. “Sometimes we need to do things even when we’re afraid. Those who do it are brave or courageous. Sometimes courage is needed for silly things, like your brother deciding to dress like a young woman for a weekend. But it can also be for serious things, like the President signing a law that voters don’t like. It can even be for dangerous things, like charging into battle, or rescuing someone from a fire.”

“Is that why you said Mikki was brave?” she asked me.

“Yes, it is,” I said. “If his friends see him, they might not be nice to him. Or they might. He won’t know until after he’s done it. That’s why he’s still a little scared. Is that right Mikki?”

“That’s pretty much it,” Mikki confirmed. “If I knew that nothing could go wrong, then this would be much easier. But then, I might have problems doing it.”

“Then why are you doing it? You don’t have to,” added Mitsumi.

“Well, in a way, I do have to. I promised Akiko that I would if I lost a bet,” Mikki explained. “Keeping my word is very important.”

“Keeping his promise is very important to Michael and to me, too,” Akiko confirmed. “But this promise is really all for fun. I had fun dressing him up to become Mikki, and I hope he’ll have just as much fun going out to be Mikki. Even I’m scared that something might go wrong, but we won’t have fun unless we go and do it.”

“What bothers me about it all,” mused Mikki, “is why does it have to be such a big deal? They’re just clothes!”

“Yes, it’s not so big a deal,” I agreed with Mikki, “but you did admit to having some fear over it.”

“Yes,” she conceded, “but perhaps I made too big a deal of it, myself.”

The kids were really competing with each other today in citizenship. Now they’re admitting their own mistakes. Why is my son Michael in drag such a catalyst for virtue? I had not expected this, but I’d take it. Yet it was not just Michael’s behavior that got this discussion rolling, but Gabriel’s as well.

By that time, we had mostly finished breakfast, except that Gabriel’s was still on his plate, his scrambled eggs and toast now cold, and his grape juice untouched.

I turned to my wife. “Honey, I’ll send Gabriel back to take a few photos,” I said to her quietly. “After what you showed me earlier, I think we want him taking our pictures for family moments like this, even when he’s upset.”

Keiko smiled at me, then gently lowered her eyes in that distinctly Japanese manner that had won my heart so many years ago when we were teenagers ourselves. “I will talk to him later about this,” she said. “I need to hear exactly how he feels about all this. And Mitsumi seems to be afraid that she hurt him and may need to heal things up. It’s also possible that something else may be bothering him. If so, I need to find that out, too.”

“Okay,” I said to Keiko. “I’ll be in my study working on tomorrow’s sermon if you should need me for anything else. I will also offer to talk with Gabriel after you and Mitsumi have.”

With that, Keiko and I kissed, then I went to find Gabriel. He would most likely be in his old room on the second floor of the rectory, so I climbed the staircase. Surely enough, he was sitting on his bed, brooding.

“Hey there, son!” I greeted him. “We missed you at breakfast.”

“Oh! Really?” he challenged my statement. “I thought that only girls or women were welcome today. Did they let you eat?”

“Gabriel, it’s not that bad and you know it!” I said to him firmly. “Your mom wants to talk with you about it and so does Mitsumi. She didn’t mean to tease or upset you. But listen to her and let her explain her thinking to you. You don’t have to agree with her, but what you’re upset over may not be what you think. So, you do need to listen to her before making any judgements.”

“I’m sorry, Dad,” Gabriel apologized to me. “I really got scared. It seemed like I was the only guy in there and like they wanted to turn me into a girl, too. Why’s Michael doing this, anyway?”

“Son, it’s not that big a deal. And if you want to know that, ask your brother—or Mikki,” I said. “By the way after we saw the photo that you printed out for your mom this morning, we’re making you the family photographer. That was a brilliant picture you took of your sisters—and brother. We think you have a real talent with photography and your mother and I agree that we need to find you a good teacher. You should have a chance to explore it and develop it more. But for now, get back to the dining room. Your camera is still there and waiting for you to make it sing!”

“Thanks, Dad,” he said, cracking the first smile I’d seen on his face today. “I’ll be right down. I feel better, now.”

“I’ll be in my study most of the day,” I assured him. “So if you want to talk, look there first. And you can always talk to your mom or me when anything bothers you. Okay?”

“Okay, Dad,” he agreed as he started back downstairs, smiling with the usual spring in his step.

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really like this family...

Andrea Lena's picture

...sure there's going to be pressure from all sides for all the kids to behave and act a certain way; even from each other and from themselves toward themselves. I'm glad that everyone is being afforded the right to be themselves; which is really the point of helping Mikki in the first place. Great as always. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

so nice

Mikki's changes are causing ripples of goodness throughout the family. wonderful!

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

What a weekend for Mikki!

I can see that if given time, this wonderful family will teach everybody some much needed lessons in acceptance and love.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Glad to see chapter 2

RAMI

I'm glad to see that you decided to continue this story.

Rami

RAMI

An Anniversary

Hello, everyone!

Today marks my first anniversary at BCTS. I'd like thank all those here who've offered me friendship, help & support. The most important help that I've had from most of you here is in learning the the TGed soul is, in its essence, a kind & loving one, always seeking hope.

A year ago, 'Drea DiMaggio had "recruited" me for BCTS, especially for the purpose of posting O My Son, My Daughter Absolom! to this website. She has continued to believe in my story, perhaps even more than I have! But she insists for her own reasons that this story is needed here. She also convinced me to reprise the violin after a hiatus of 35 years. What still bothers me, though, is how did she manage to talk about it with my anima, my inner girl, my Muse, without my knowledge? She's a sly girl, that 'Drea is!

A note to those of you who are fans of this story: so far, life seems to be nice for Michael & family. Do you think that the MacDonalds are a wonderful family showing the ideals unconditional love & tolerance? Well, they think they are, too. In coming chapters, though, they will appear to have many of the same concerns & fears— as well as prejudices— as any other family. Also remember that Michael has merely assumed the role of "Mikki" for Hallowe'en & the ensuing weekend. Just dressing up for costume parties & lost bets does not a crossdresser make— well, not yet, anyway!

Peace!

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara