Some Kind of Wonderful Part-3

Printer-friendly version
Some Kind of Wonderful-
Part Three

by:
Enemyoffun


Charlie Sandsmark and his mother, Helena, travel around the world from one archaeological dig to another, looking for evidence of the ancient Amazonian culture. So far they have found nothing, until Charlie discovers something wonderful about himself on a small island in the Aegean Sea.

-----

Author's Note: Here's Chapter Three. For those of you expecting Charlie to wake up with a weight on his chest I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed but there is a really good cliffhanger that will lead into something very interesting indeed. I'd like to thank DC Comics for their characters and djkauf for the lightning fast editing.

-----

Chapter Three:

Did anyone get the number of that truck…?

I opened my eyes and the first thing I noticed was how bright it was. The second thing was that my head---which should have been throbbing–wasn’t even slightly sore. I blinked my eyes, looking around. Everything was white, so white it hurt my eyes. I shielded them and got a better look at my surroundings. Ok, where the hell was I? The last thing I remembered was touching that gold belt on that statue and then feeling real dizzy. I guess I passed out. I’m not sure I liked that. I already had enough problems, now I had to add lightweight to that. I groaned, if they knew that at school there would be even more reason to ridicule me.

I pushed myself to my feet, trying to see if I could figure out where I might be. But like before, all I saw was white. I’m not sure how long it took me to realize that I wasn’t conscious. I know there are some people who dream and know they’re dreaming but I was never one of them. In fact, I had a hard time remembering my dreams at all. I always thought it was kinda freaky but at least I wasn’t one of those kids that woke up drenched in sweat with night terrors. Not that I didn’t have nightmares---I’m sure I did---I just didn’t remember any of them.

I waved my hand in front of my face. It moved in this slow, sweeping arch as if I was underwater. I laughed; the sound came out slow and echoed all around me. What the hell was this freaky place? I took a step forward, my leg acted like it weighed a hundred pounds but I didn’t feel any heavier. In fact, I felt lighter than before. How weird is that? I took another step and another. Soon I was walking around, trying to see if there was anything except the white. I kept walking and walking, wondering if this was normal for a dream. I’m not sure how long I walked, but finally I stopped to get my bearings. It was really strange because this place didn’t feel as if it had an end. Not only that, there didn’t seem to be any restraint to it either. There were no walls or a ceiling that I see. I reached my arms out on either side and all I touched was air. Looking down I saw nothing but white. I knew I had to be walking on something but when I reached down to touch the floor my hand only found air.
Ok, that was freaky.

I continued to walk. I’m not sure why I was walking but I couldn’t figure out anything else to do. I used to like walking before I got too lazy to do so. My grandfather got me hooked on it. He used to wake up at the crack of dawn and walk two miles every day, starting from our front door then around the development, to a local park and back. I’m not sure when I started going with him but once I started I couldn’t stop. It was kinda invigorating. After walking for a few months, I started jogging the path and then after a month of that, I ran it. My grandfather could never keep up after that but he didn’t mind. I think he was glad I was showing some initiative. All of that changed after he died. I couldn’t bring myself to do anything that the two of us did together. So I sorta collapsed into myself and became a shut in. I can’t even remember the last time I walked anywhere.

Finally, walking proved futile. There was no end to this place so walking was pointless. So I finally just stopped and sat down. I wanted to lean back too---relax a bit---but I was afraid I’d end up falling. So instead, I closed my eyes and stay there. I’m not sure how most dreams worked but I figured if I could fall asleep here maybe, I’d wake up back in the real world. At least that was the plan. But closing my eyes here made me real wary of something. I’m not sure what but it felt as if I was being watched. That thought sent a shiver up my spine and I opened my eyes again.

“You shouldn’t be here,” said an angry voice behind me.

I snapped around, the voice startling the hell out me. Standing behind me, dressed in a flowing white toga, was a woman. She was gorgeous too. She had long flowing black hair, piercing green eyes and the classic features of a Greek. But the most striking thing about her was how tall she was. I scrambled to my feet and realized this woman towered over me. She had to be at least six five which was insane. She could easily go pro in basketball. I opened my mouth to say something but as soon as I did nothing came out. I grabbed my throat and tried again but still there was nothing.

She smirked. “No man shall speak in my presence”

I let go of my throat and frowned. Who the hell was she who could do this?

“My name is of no concern to you, young man” She glided over to me or at least that’s what it looked like. I couldn’t see her feet because her toga covered them. “But if you need to address me as anything you may think of me as Mother.”

I frowned. She smirked. She waved her hand and I knew that I could speak again. “I don’t understand.”

“You’re not meant to understand. You are meant to sit at my feet and bask in my glory.”

There was something about her tone. Something about the way she spoke to me that made me think I wasn’t in the presence of a normal human. I gave her a really good once over. She looked like a human being but there was something about the way she stood that told me different. There was something else too, something I didn’t notice before. It was a peacock feather. It was sticking in her hair just behind her left ear. I didn’t notice it before because she startled me so much but now looking at the feather I think I had a pretty good idea of who I was sitting in front of. Oh my God?

She smiled. “Goddess actually.”

“You’re…” I tried to say her name but for some reason it wouldn’t come out.

She smiled again. “You may only speak my name when I give you permission to do so Charlie Sandsmark.”

I nodded. A real life Goddess. It was definitely the freakish dream I’d ever had. That I know of anyway. I needed to wake up; this was too crazy. I closed my eyes again and tried to will myself to wake up. I kept them closed for about a minute or two then snapped them open. The Goddess---I couldn’t even think her name---was still standing there.

“I should punish you for that insult alone.”

I nodded. “I’m sorry…this is hard to fathom.”

“I have that effect on men. When I first appeared before Jason all those years ago, he found it hard to fathom as well. But I assure you that I am real and that this is no dream.”

I nodded. “Why me?”

“You have been chosen,” she said, clearly reading my thoughts. “Any other man would have been punished for stepping foot on sacred Amazon soil. But you Charlie Sandsmark, son of Helena, have been chosen for a great rite.”

I shook my head. “I’m a nobody, surely there are others?”

“You can not refuse this obligation. It has been foretold long before your birth. You are our champion; you are the One Amongst Man who will Feel the Power of Amazon.”

Me, the Power of Amazon? She was crazy.

She got a stern look on her face. “You’re trying my patience with your insults.”

I shook my head. “You’re wrong. This is wrong. Find someone else.”

She reached for me but I moved away. I got to my feet. No, this was crazy. I pushed away from her. This was a dream---no a nightmare. I wasn’t worthy of anything. I didn’t want to be worthy; I wanted to be me. The Goddess reached for me but I jumped from her touch. Then I turned and ran. I ran as hard and as fast I could. I’m not sure if she was following or not. Truth be told she could probably step right in front of me. She was a Goddess after all. But when I caught a glance back, she was gone. I smirked. Maybe I’d imagined her. This was a dream after all---no matter what she said.
I continued to run, then the ground disappeared underneath me and I fell.

I heard her voice. “YOU CAN NOT RUN FROM THIS!”

Then there was only darkness.

WGWGWGWGWG

When I woke up, my head was throbbing. I was panting like crazy, my heart thumping in my chest. I sat up and looked around, confused at my surroundings at first. I half expected to see myself surrounded by white again. Instead, it was all stone and green. I blinked a few times, trying to figure out where I was exactly. Then the situation came back to me. I was in a temple devoted to Hera and I touched a statue. Then I---I groaned---passed out. I pushed myself to my feet, rubbing the back of my head. Not only did I pass out---again---I hit my head too. I stumbled on my feet a bit, using Hera’s humongous statue to steady myself before I took stock of my surroundings again.

The other statue---the one with the golden belt---was still in front of me. I didn’t dare go near it. But there was something different about it now, something less mysterious about it. I looked around for my flashlight and found it lying a few feet away. I walked over, snatched it up and clicked it on. I shined the light, moving it from the top of the statue to the bottom and back again. Nothing immediate stood out until I made a second pass. The belt was gone. What the hell? I stepped closer, looking at her waist where it was before. How in the hell? I reluctantly reached out and touched the statue. I half expected to get dizzy again but nothing happen.

I laughed. Maybe I imagined the whole thing.

I stared at the statue for a few more minutes, trying to wonder if the golden belt was there at all. As I continued to stare, I heard the raspy feedback of my radio. I snapped around, noticing my pack was lying a few feet away. Funny, I don’t remember taking it off. I shook my head and walked over, zipping it open and rummaging inside. I found the radio and took it.

“Hello” I asked, clicking it.

“Damn it Charlie, I’ve been trying to get you for the last ten minutes” snapped my mother, annoyed as usual.

I rolled my eyes. “I hit my head.”

She ignored me. “I need you to come and meet me; I have no idea where this city of yours is.”

I sighed. I was about to tell her what I found but the hell with it. I told her I’d be right there and clicked off. I grabbed my pack, slung it on my shoulder and slowly walked out of the temple. I shined the light in front of me as I retraced my steps through the city, amazed at all the wonders that I discovered. Maybe now, my mother would be proud of me but I had a feeling she’d find some way to take credit. Not that it mattered; no one would believe me anyways. As I walked, looking at the bronze Goddesses as I passed by them my dream came back to me. Was that supposed to be her? I know it was just a dream and I’m pretty certain it was influenced by this discovery but was that really her. I’ve seen countless pictures---artist renderings of course---but none of them depicted her in that fashion. The woman in my dream was without a doubt one of the most gorgeous women I’d ever seen but nowhere had I seen Hera as a raven haired beauty.

Hera. I finally got to say her name. Well think it anyway.

I followed the path back the way I came, taking note of the columns on either side of me. It didn’t take me long to get back to where I hacked my way through the wall of vegetation. After a few more minutes, I came upon the spot where I stopped picking up book pages. About ten minutes after that, I saw a second flashlight beam. My mother was standing confused, shining her light here and there. I waved my light in the air, getting her attention. She was wearing her usual: t-shirt and khaki shorts. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail, her glasses were on the top of her head and her huge pack was on her back. She looked so out of place standing there, like a lost college professor and not a veteran field archaeologist.

When she saw me approach, there was a look of frustration on her face. Couldn’t she ever be happy about anything I do?

“You didn’t give me much to go on,” she snapped as she walked over.

I shrugged. “It’s kinda hard to give directions when everything looks the same.”

She didn’t respond instead she glared. “Where’s this lost city of yours?”

I didn’t respond; it was futile to argue with her. My mother was the kind of woman who always thought she was right. Even if I happened to win an argument and prove her wrong, she somehow twisted it to make it sound like she was right all along. I hated people like that. I often wondered why my grandparents had forced her to keep me. I know it’s a horrible thing to think about but after all my mother was not a person who should have children. The first half of my life she ignored me and now she drags me along because she feels obligated to do so. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m a guy or if I remind her of Dad or if she just plain hates people less informed than her. I try my hardest to make her proud of me but everything I do is just one big disappoint to her.

Nobody’s perfect. Definitely not her.

I led her back the way I came, shining my light along the path to show her our progress. She only paid half attention; I think she thought I was leading her on some wild goose chase. But when I got to the first column, her whole demeanor changed. There was excitement on her face and a smile. I smiled too; it was contagious. Besides, I couldn’t remember the last time I saw her smile. I stepped back, allowing her get a full view. She brushed me aside as she went to look at the column. When she got to the nick I left with the machete, she gave me a stern look. But it disappeared just as quickly as she pulled out an LED pocket light and continued to look at the rest of the column. I think I expected some kind of praise for doing a good job but I kinda knew I wasn’t going to get any. Typical Mom. I walked over to a nearby tree and sat, resting my back against it. While she looked at the stupid column, I opened my pack and rummaged around inside. My stomach grumbled. Inside I knew I had a couple of granola bars.

I rummaged about, not really looking. They were somewhere near the bottom I think. As I dug, my fingers brushed up against something cold and metal. That gave me pause. I looked down; half expecting to see something I forgot was in there. But what I saw made my eyes bulge out of my head. It was the belt---the golden one from the statue. My heart starting pounding in my chest. I pulled my hand away quickly, afraid that touching it might make me dizzy again. How in the hell did that get in there? There was no way I got have taken it off the statue, it looked to have been a part of it. I stared at the pack, the top of the belt clearly visible as I looked inside. My pounding heart slowed a bit and my hands stopped shaking so much.

I looked at my mom, wondering if she noticed but she was engrossed in her stupid column. I groaned and went back into the pack. I tried to ignore the belt as I gently pushed it aside and found my two granola bars. I took them out, unwrapped one and stuffed the wrapped into my pocket. My mother would have had a fit if she saw me drop it. I’m supposed to leave places---especially dig sites---in the same condition I found them. Which made no sense considering they were digging in them, destroying what was already there? Anyway littering was a big no no. Not that I’d ever do something like that.

I ate my granola bar in piece as my mother mumbled to herself. I decided to leave the second one for later. I rummaged around in my pack again and found my PSP. I was glad that I stuck it in there before I left camp. I turned it on and started to play, getting lost in the brutal world of Kratos. I’m not sure how long I played for but Mom was still looking at the columns. She moved away from the first one and was now looking at a few more. I think she was trying to see how alike they really were or some such nonsense. I continued to play my game, conquering one section and moving onto the next. But as I played along---oblivious to my surroundings---I couldn’t help but notice that Kratos’ fighting style didn’t exactly fit with that of the Ancient Greeks.

I stopped playing, not bothering to save the game. My heart wasn’t in it anyway. I got to my feet, sticking the PSP back into my pack and zipping it shut. My mother was still looking at the columns. She looked so happy laying on the ground, shining her light over inch by precious inch of it I didn’t have the heart to interrupt her. So instead, I stepped around her and walked down the path, heading back toward the city. I got only about ten feet when she called to me.

“Where are you going?”

“To walk around, I only got to look in the temple before.”

“Temple?” My mother dropped her light. “What temple?”

WGWGWGWGWG

After the big reveal about the temple, my Mom completely ignored me. She was like a kid in a candy store when I led her into the city proper. Her columns were nothing compared to everything else. She spent hours looking at the statues, whipping out her notebook and jotting things down. Then she spent more time in the temple, looking at the statues in there. The first time she saw the statue of Hera I think she squealed. She was a completely different person, a person I could actually maybe get along with. Unfortunately she acted as if I wasn’t even there. So I acted like she wasn’t there either. I left her in the temple and explored the rest of the city.

I went left first, finding myself in another clearing. But unlike the first that was mainly filled up with the temple complex. This one had what I can only describe as a training field of some sorts. There were places where a track might have been and another place that looked like an archery range. As I walked the perimeter, I actually found some arrowheads. I pocketed a couple actually---there were like fifty of them. From there I found this little building that I could only describe as an armory. Inside, there were rusty bronze swords and spearheads. Hanging from what might have been a wall were bronze shields. I spent a lot of time in this place, thinking about my grandfather and wondering how much he would have loved to see this place.

After that, I headed back out into what I was calling the temple clearing then went right. This area had little houses, probably where the girls lived. There was a fire pit in the center, the houses centered around it. Dotted about the houses were marble benches and hanging flowerpots. What amazed me the most was how intact everything looked. It was as if someone threw a cloak over this place, protecting it from time.

Unfortunately, my mother shattered most of that. She called and told me to head back to the beach. She wanted me to pack up our tents and transport them into the jungle. Apparently, she wanted to stay close to her discovery. Yes, her discovery, she made that pretty clear when she was talking to me. She wouldn’t even acknowledge that I had anything to do with it. So I begrudgingly left the Amazon city and walked all the way back to the beach. Let me tell you how much it sucks to be screwed out of your own discovery. I broke down the tents and gathered up the tent but I wasn’t happy about it. It took me nearly an hour to carry everything---by myself---from the beach to the city. But strangely enough, I wasn’t winded at all. In fact, it didn’t even seem to bother me.

It took me another hour to set everything up. My mother wanted me to pitch the camp inside the temple but some part of me felt that was wrong. Sacrilegious somehow. So instead, I pitched it in the housing complex. I had my tent as close to the biggest house I could find there. By the time I was done pitching the tents, the sun was starting to dip below the horizon. So I grabbed my flashlight and went to rouse Mom from her work. I found her in the far corner of the temple, reading by lantern light. There was a section of the temple---the only section apparently---with some writing on it. Mom was scribbling furiously in her notebook, jotting down the Ancient Greek. I looked at the wall. I knew Greek like the back of my hand; it was practically a second language. But I’d never been a fan of the ancient stuff. Every time I tried to read, it looked like gibberish to me. But as I stared at the wall now the words seemed to dissolve away and in their place was English. I blinked my eyes thinking maybe it was sleep catching up with me but when I looked again I saw the same.

Somehow, I could now read Ancient Greek.

I’m not sure if that freaked me out as much as I thought it might. I kept my discovery to myself though because I was confident that Mom wouldn’t believe me anyway. After trying unsuccessfully to talk Mom into finishing up, I decided to retire back to my tent. I spent the night trying to piece together my book. My game seemed boring for some reason so after leaving the temple I went and rounded up all the other missing pages of the novel I could. I was still missing quite a few but thankfully they were from parts that I’d already read. So after assembling the book, I read until hunger forced me to look for some food. Thankfully, I still had the other granola bar---it wasn’t much but it was better than nothing. I ate that, drank from another coke then read until I couldn’t read anymore.

When I drifted off, I had another dream. I found myself standing on a hilltop, a huge boulder in front of me. I heard a booming voice around me, telling me that “If you do not wish to accept your destiny you shall be punished. For only a man must face the labors that a woman could surely overcome.” I didn’t give a damn what that voice---I’m sure it was the Goddess---said, there was no way I was going to do anything that she asked. Besides Jason, she didn’t have a very good track record with heroes. Not that I thought of myself as one.

In the morning, I woke up stiff and sore. My arms throbbed and my back felt like someone had been sitting on me all night. But all of that was crushed by the smell wafting into my tent. I opened my eyes, slipping out of the sleeping bag. I usually slept in a t-shirt and boxers but last night I fell asleep in my jeans. I pulled on my sneakers and slipped out of tent. I was shocked to see Donna sitting around the campfire, clad in a bikini top and jean cutoffs. Her hair was pulled high on top of her head in a tight ponytail and when she turned around her breasts bounced. My heart skipped a beat and there was a stirring in my loins. I blushed, turning away.

“Hey kiddo” she said, bending over the fire. She turned around, holding a plate. “I made some breakfast.”

My mouth watered. Besides the granola bars, I hadn’t eaten anything since dinner night before last. I scrambled out of the tent, glad my feet were covered because the vegetation was hot on my hands. I pushed to my feet and stumbled over. I sat on one of marble benches, taking the plate she offered. She fixed herself a plate then sat next to me. For a few moments, the two of us ate in silence then I remembered my manners.

“Thanks” I said, “Mom doesn’t cook breakfast much…ummm, ever actually.”

She smiled, brushed a lock of hair form my face. “It’s the least I could do, I mean look at this place.”

I nodded. “Did Mom call you?”

She nodded while she chewed. “Phoned me last night. I tried to get your boat guy to bring me over but he wouldn’t do it until this morning.” She took another piece of bacon and chewed noisily. She didn’t speak again until she swallowed. ‘I arrived about an hour ago.” She waved her hand around. “This place is awesome.”

I smiled. It was interesting how much she and my mother were so much alike and so different. Donna was passionate about this stuff too but a lot more laid back. She loved it as much as Mom but she didn’t love it enough to ignore everything else in her. Donna knew how to have a life too. I heard her talk with mom every once and a while about her girlfriend---yeah, that crushed me. The two of them were really close and the girl---I don’t know her name---respected Donna enough to allow her to go gallivanting around the globe with us.

“Have you had a chance to look at the city yet?” I asked, crunching on a piece of bacon.

She shook her head. “Your Mom met me on the beach then led me here. She wanted me to get her notes in order but to tell you the truth I can’t heads or tails of it.”

I nodded. I knew what she meant. Back home she had a room in the apartment where we lived---we moved out of grandma’s house a few weeks before this trip---that she called her study. It was scattered with books and papers. I once tried to organize things for her but I think I made more of a mess than it was before. But thankfully, she never noticed. She did ask me about it but I shrugged it off and disappeared into my room. She didn’t like me in her study. She said there were grown up things in there, things I wouldn’t understand. I hated that she still thought I was too young to understand her work. I mean she went out of her way to make sure I knew all these languages but yet she wouldn’t let me help her with anything that she did.

“Let me help,” I said, finishing off my bacon.

“Its all yours.”

After breakfast, I followed Donna to Mom’s tent where there was a scattering of papers all over the place. I sifted through a pile, trying to figure out what they were all about. Chief among them were translations that Mom did on the wall writings. I skimmed over her work and noticed a great deal of glitches. I scanned through her other pages too---they were translations as well–and all of them were wrong. I shook my head. Mom usually prided herself on her Ancient Greek; it amazed me at how poorly she translated all of this.

“I think these are all wrong,” I said, passing a page or two to Donna.

Donna squinted at the page in her hand. “What are you talking about sweetie?”

“The translations” I said, annoyed that she didn’t notice too.

Donna was quiet for a few moments. Then she spoke. “There’s nothing wrong with this.”

I turned around, looking at the page then groaned. I quickly pointed out all the errors. Donna stood there, quiet for a few minutes. I’m not sure if she was shocked that I pointed out something she didn’t notice or…

“Umm, how do you know all that?”

I shrugged. I just did, don’t ask me how. But I tried to explain it to her anyway. Then I did the unthinkable, I told her about what happened in the temple yesterday. She listened intently. When I was done, she asked to see the belt. So I shrugged again, leaving my mother’s tent in the disarray we found it in. I walked her back to my tent and led her inside. My sleeping bag was still lying half open; the remains of my book and the PSP were lying next to it. There was even the empty pop can and granola wrapper from last night. What was missing was my backpack. I looked around but knowing there wasn’t a lot places for something like to hide in here, I tried to retrace my steps in my head. The only thing I could up with was leaving it on the beach. I cursed, remembering what happened. I set it down, half expecting to bring it with me on my final run.

Instead, I stuffed my flashlight and PSP into the front of my hoodie. Then I busied myself with finding the book pages. It took me all night to do that. Well most of the night. I was so busy piecing the pages back together that I completely forgot about going to get my pack. Son of a bitch.

“I left it on the beach” I said, groaning.

“Its ok, kiddo, you can show me later.”

I looked at my watch. “That’s ok, It won’t take me long to get it.” She smiled, nodding. “I’ll go and get it and meet you in front of the temple.”

We left the tent together. I didn’t wait for her to say bye as I took off. I was invigorated this morning, the pain in my back and arms long gone. I ran like I hadn’t run in years. It felt pretty good; I didn’t even break a sweat. Not even the heat seemed to be bothering me. What was even stranger than all of this was how quickly I got back to the beach. One minute I felt like I was standing in the camp and the next I was bursting out of jungle into the white sand.
I skidded to a haul, not even panting. I squinted in the sun. My pack was lying right where I thought it might be. I shook my head, cursing my stupidity. Mom should have seen it this morning but of course, she wouldn’t have brought it. I bet she thought she was teaching me a lesson. Sometimes I began to wonder why Mom even bothered to bring me on her journeys at all.

I started walking at a brisk pace over to my pack. I reached for it but stopped a few inches from picking it up. There was a loud noise moving toward the island. I grabbed one of the straps, hefting the pack and looked out into the water. At first, the speedboat was far off but it kept getting closer and closer. It wasn’t the first boat I’d seen pass by here. But most of the others were bigger and always much further off. This one was one of those cigar boats and it wasn’t getting farther away. It was getting closer, too close for comfort. I didn’t like that at all. What else didn’t I like? Seeing Costas sitting on the bench, two guys on the other side of him. Both of them were large, with bare arms. There were two other guys as well, one behind the wheel and one sitting next to him. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that guy because resting across his lap was a machine gun.

I took a deep breath. The boat roared up onto the beach, the sitting guy and I locked eyes. I think he was as shocked to see me, as I was him. He jumped to his feet and raised his gun, pointing it at me. He shouted something at the pilot in Greek then turned his attention to me.

My heart skipped another beat as he leveled his gun with my chest.

Hera give me strength.

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just like a Goddess

Been gone a few thousands years, and then they pop up and expect for you to believe they're real. :) Can't she give Charlie a break here? Awesome story!

Hugs!

Grover

"The Goddess"

Enemyoffun's picture

Is an interesting character. She is the Queen Goddess after all and she expects people to treat her as such. I think being dormant for so long has made her a little bit pushy if you ask me. In the comics, Hera was everything to Wonder Woman...hell half her catch phrases involve her...it should be interesting to see how Charlie handles the "Queen".

His mother...

What a bi###!
It doesn't matter if she changes when Charlie become a woman...atually if she does it'll prove her an even bigger prejudiced bi***.

agreed

Not liking mom much.

But loving the story!

Love the story

but consensus about mom, that's for sure. Total broomstick up the backside type. Still, even if Charlie does not transform yet, I get the impression he will need to tap into any new powers to deal with an adversary who I suspect is like Indiana Jone's nemesis in those Raiders pictures.

Once those powers are embraced and used though ..... :)

Kim

Stressor

Enemyoffun's picture

It seems to be common in a lot of these Retcon stories that a stressor is needed to force the character into their change. I wanted to tell who Charlie was before the stressor happened so we know a little of her life before she becomes a hero. Now that that's out of the way, expect a little action in Ch. 4...the Change included.

I am not

a big fan of comix, as I quit reading them when they hit .12 and outpriced me, back then. (Give ya any ideas as to how old I am?) Some here have been good, and I am liking this one so far. One question to the other readers out there. Where else have I seen the name Sandsmark. I know it was a TG story, and it's driving me nuts trying to recall where else I saw it.

Lilith Wrote One

Enemyoffun's picture

Lilith wrote a story using the character Cassie Sandsmark as well.

Thats it.

Thanx. Now I know I'm not crazy

So good!

And we haven't even got to the good stuff yet! I can't wait!

Wren

Prayer

Interesting that his automatic prayer there is to Hera.

The Last Line

Enemyoffun's picture

Its a famous Wonder Woman line...at least famous to me. I always loved it when she said it in the Justice League cartoon.

Charlie will have a moment of reflection on that line at the beginning of Ch. 4 right before things get really interesting...

Given what's happened so far...

...with the enhanced knowledge of ancient Greek, knowledge of their fighting styles, and the speed boost en-route to the beach, it's almost certain Hera's already preparing him. So on seeing the machine gun levelled at him, it's no surprise he calls out to Hera rather than the Christian deity.

Somehow, I think Hera will grant him strength - as well as a new body, which will probably scare the living daylights out of Costas and his goons!

Of course, if the transformation takes place on the beach, it'll be interesting trying to explain his significantly changed appearance to mum and Donna...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Transformation

OK, so he transforms into an Amazon, sees off the Bad Guys... what makes you think s/he's going to stay transformed?

It might be that Charlie needs that 'stressor' trigger every time to get him to be his better half.

That could make for more fun. His mother is never going to believe him unless he actually transforms in front of her, is she? Actually, she sounds like the type who'd probably try and deny it even then. So what if he never does and she goes on considering him a weedy male runt?

Penny

Anticipation

terrynaut's picture

This story has got me hooked. Not even Hera could stop me from reading it!

Didn't Hera say that no man shall speak in her presence? Yet Charlie was speaking in her presence. Interesting. But of course all of us here know what's going to happen to Charlie. It's still fun though.

I look forward to seeing Charlie in action.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Action

Enemyoffun's picture

The action is coming...I'm finished with Ch. 4 which is mainly all action, I hope to have it up in a day or so.

Interesting point

maybe that 'no man shall speak' line should be

"No man shall speak unbidden in my presence."

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Good Point

Enemyoffun's picture

I should have added that...maybe I will :)

Slow, deliberate, but ok.

You are enjoying yourself I sincerely hope, and it's rather fun for me too. The pace of the story is nice, and I think this one is your best up to now. It's of course a bloody shame there's such a long time between chapters, as I am rather fond of emerging myself in a story and read it preferably in one long haul, but alas.
To my regret I seem to be unable to let it rest until all chapters are posted, and then read the full story, because it's just too good. Darn! But alright, it also offers me the opportunity to comment on your story while it's still evolving.

Not that this is a good thing perse, but there you have it. I can, and I do.

Mom is pretty aloof, isn't she? Wow, you paint her real detached and preoccupied with whatever flights her fancy. As some here already said: She's being a real bitch. Not a word that should be used maybe, actually it's almost like she could be a guy. A man. Some career hungry self-obsessed competition driven A-hole, who's only home Sundays to cut up the meat. Oooh, now that's eeevill isn't it?

Or maybe... what a way to 'punish' the mom for behaving like she did. Let her show the male half of the population how it's really meant to be done, to be a good guy. Also, it'd mean a chance for some much missed FtM here on BC.

I am _not_ trying to be vindictive. Am not.

Thanks for the story, Enemy, it's fun :D

Jo-Anne

Posting Speed

Enemyoffun's picture

When I first started writing on here, I pretty much posted a chapter a day which was great for the reader but very hectic on me. Then I tried doing it every other day but even that started to get difficult to do. So now I found that pacing myself works out great because it builds up a little suspense and it keeps people chomping at the bit for more.

There are a few stories on here that I would love to leave alone until I know they're finished so I can read them all in one sitting. But unfortunately for me I can never wait that long. But there's also a great burst of excitement when I log onto the site and look at the front page, seeing new chapters of my favorites waiting for me.

:)

I can't believe you ended

I can't believe you ended the chapter there, ok I suppose I can as it's the kind of thing I'd do lol.

Great intro to the characters, I'm hopinf Charlie's mom isn't as bad as she seems, I'm hoping Charlie's views are in line with most teens in that their perceptions of parents are usually over exagerated towards their parents never listen etc etc etc, well my parents were like that well at least they were till I grew up and realised they did care even if their opinions were different.

When it really mattered though they showed they cared so I'm hoping that although Charlie's mom is absent minded when not involving history she at least has the presence of mind to at least subconsiously pay attention when it matters (if that makes sense lol)

Anyway thanks for sharing really looking forward to the next chapter :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Charlie's Mom

Enemyoffun's picture

There is an underlining factor there that will come to light in a later chapter of the story. It might help explain some of the reason why Helena is the way she is toward her son.

And here's a good reason why

Such important discoveries are ought to be documented in a single day, then pack your items and leave without raising fuss. Once you establish first dibs, and gather proper support, getting all the interesting bits in place becomes easier, safer, and more fun.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Very True

Enemyoffun's picture

But Dr. Sandsmark has too big of an ego to leave this place alone. She's been searching for it for years and now that she's found it there's no way that she's going to allow it out of her sight.

First finding the city then

First finding the city then temple then Hera the queen herself should make it clear to Charles that fate has his number, and his luck and life has just really become a lot more interesting. I wonder if mother will be more attentive to her child, and what the changes will happen in her life.
This is one of the best Amazon stories I have found to date, it is very realistic in a you are there manner. Thanks
P.S. I love Amazons and there spirit lives in so many of us.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Amazons

Enemyoffun's picture

There's something about Amazons that intrigued me so much that I had to give this story a try. Originally my next story was going to be a sequel to Green Arrow---which will happen as soon as this one is over---but I needed to tell this story first.

The issue with his mother will be throughout this story but will be touched upon a bit more in Ch.5, Ch. 4 is all about the action.

Some Kind of Wonderful Part-3

Hera was a real bitch to the unfortunate ladies who caught the roving eye of her husband, Zeus as was very well portrayed in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. And in the Professor's Ovid stories, was still quite upset after all of these centuries.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Acknowledgement

I feel that mom here should lose the validation of her life's work if she can't acknowledge her son as a person before she loses him forever. If she can't see her son, why should she receive the boon of others being able to see the city of the Amazons. That may be harsh, but she like Hera is not coming across to me as someone that should always get what they want. Still I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Usagi

I'm really enjoying this...

...and on all levels. I started reading stories on these sites for obvious reasons, but now I find there are a few authors who're putting out material that is just damn good writing.

You are one of them. (obviously ;-) )

Love the touches you've put into this, the peacock, the relationship with his old mother, the hints at the relationship to come with his new mother. All good stuff.

Whatever you choose to do wiith this, I'm sure I'll be surprised and delighted.

Interesting Turns

Enemyoffun's picture

Thanks for the kind words...I really appreciate them.

There should be some interesting turns in this story...not so much in the next chapter but in other chapters. I'm going to blend some Cassie Sandsmark stuff with some Wonder Woman stuff...hoping that molding the two might make an interesting character. I've got some neat stuff coming up...including the eventual appearance of Charlie's best friend as soon as the story shifts back to the states...that should be really interesting stuff.

There are no atheists in foxholes ;)

If you do not wish to accept your destiny you shall be punished. For only a man must face the labors that a woman could surely overcome.” I didn’t give a damn what that voice---I’m sure it was the Goddess---said, there was no way I was going to do anything that she asked.

My heart skipped another beat as he leveled his gun with my chest.

Hera give me strength.

Amazing how quickly we puny mortals turn back to faith in times of crisis, isn't it ;)

*watches the knowing nods from the traditional greek chorus as the gods begin their wagering on this latest 'heroine'*

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Charlie's Faith

Enemyoffun's picture

It's going to flipflop a bit actually which is always fun.

Really?

S.L.Hawke's picture

A few years ago, I died on the operating table. Twice, actually. Worse... I knew it was going to happen more than a week in advance -- the surgeon's specifically told me to write a "Last Will and Testament", and make sure my affairs were in order. Even with the team of a dozen or so specialists they assembled to work on me in the O.R., they gave me less than a 2% chance of their being able to revive me *when* I died. "When", not "if"... as they told me I was certain to die on that table. The only question was, would it be possible to bring me back? [If they did not operate, they knew I would be dead soon anyway... if anyone is wondering why they attempted such a risky procedure].

My point? As the final hours before that surgery was scheduled to start (the second time -- they delayed it 3 days after telling me that I would have a zero percent chance of survival if they operated on the first date), I found myself musing on exactly that saying... or almost. "There are no Atheists on the battlefield", was the version I knew. I found it rather ironic... as I felt absolutely no temptation to turn to some mythical deity, despite the certainty of my pending death. A conviction that remained strong, even as my vision faded out in the operating room... for what I was utterly certain in my inner heart, was the start of my personal oblivion.

When I awoke... one of the first things I did was ask the nurse in the Critical Care Ward to get rid of the (extremely offensive to me) Christian cross that was hanging on the wall across from the foot of my bed. I died a "devout" Atheist, and remain one to this day.

Just saying... that silly quote is something dreamed up by people who are not actually Atheists.

[Sorry to de-rail the comments -- as far as the story itself is concerned, I started reading it a bit late, but I am enjoying it a lot now.]

Altho Charlie isn't an

Altho Charlie isn't an archeologist as his is mother, he has been taught by her, yet with all that, she still doesn't see it or get it. Charlie is being treated in the same manner as Indiana Jones was treated by his father, not as an equal, but strictly as a son. Or will that soon be daughter?

Daughter

Enemyoffun's picture

Soon to be daughter.