Odyssey II Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Odyssey II

by Jennifer Sue

Part 1

Once inside the St. Michaels Middle/High School Krista Scott felt wary, intimidated and more that a bit angry at the protesters who had been picketing the school when she had arrived. She hoped her classmates would accept her but with Tony Masters by her side she was ready to face anyone who objected to her. As she limped beside Tony, she saw nearly all the students looked at her and raised their eyebrows in surprise. If nothing else the bandage wrapping her left arm may as well have been a name tag.

During the past week Krista had been the main topic of conversation. Those who had met her at Church or elsewhere had explained how they would have never guessed she was born a boy. Those who had not met her were unsure what to expect. They had all heard of her summer odyssey, that she had handily defeated Tony when they first met then promptly came to his aid, and all certainly knew she had killed Tony’s dad. Some thought she had to be a hulking monster to have done all that. But their preconceived ideas were promptly shattered when they saw her, an unassuming petite pretty girl limping in the halls.

Krista wasn’t sure what to think as she noted the surprise on the faces of the other students when they realized who she was. As they made their way to their homeroom, Krista began to realize she was embarking on another odyssey.

The class size was smaller than she'd previously experienced in the crowded Massachuset schools. The grade levels were divided by skill levels and except for phys-ed, no class had more than twenty students. She discovered she was one of sixty five seventh graders and the entire school only had 390 students in grades 7 through 12.

This would be Tony’s second year in the seventh grade. Last year his angry attitude and lack of caring had led him to waste his time. He had skipped school at every chance and disrupted classes at every opportunity. It was a very different Tony who led Krista to their homeroom. Pat Scott, Krista’s step-mom and the school nurse, had successfully lobbied Dr. Harris to place Tony in the same class as Krista. Tony had the ability to excel but until meeting Krista had lacked the motivation to study or even care about grades. So far Dr. Harris had received nothing but glowing reports about Tony. All the teachers said he was not the boy they had learned to dislike the previous year.

Part of Krista wanted to go home and crawl under the blankets to have a good cry. But if nothing else, Krista was stubborn with a get 'er done attitude. After being introduced to the teacher, Krista was assigned to a locker and given a combination. Tony was detailed to show Krista the location and how to open the locker. Tony was all smiles as he explained the workings of the lock. Soon they were back in homeroom. As she took her seat, she saw Karen Savage and Lisa Bennet, girls from her cheering squad. They exchanged little finger waves.

After the teacher took attendance, she made a few announcements and had the class introduce themselves to Krista. There were two guys who did so reluctantly and scowled at her. Three girls were quite stand-offish as if they were regal princesses who were forced to greet a commoner who was socially inferior. The school wide announcements began shortly after the teacher had completed her morning duties. The principal welcomed Krista to school and praised her for her bravery. Then he went on to explain that bullying of any type was prohibited and that anyone caught would be automatically expelled for three days. During that time the bully's records would be researched by a teacher panel who would recommend either further discipline or end the punishment.

The school grouped the students by academic ability within their grade and their homeroom would also be their first period class. They would move from class to class as a group. Each grade was made up of three classes. The morning seemed to fly by as they moved from class to class. Karen and Lisa, and another girl named Kate Winslow made Krista feel welcome. The foursome gossiped at every opportunity. They made up the sporty girls, girls who loved being girls while enjoying sports and other physical activities.

Brittany Bailey, Chloe Carpenter and Tiffany Teasdale haughtily sneered at the foursome putting down the 'losers' with nasty comments about what they wore, how they styled their hair, and their choice of friends... meaning Krista. They always wore complementary coordinated outfits and primped before the mirror in the girls' restroom between every class. They avidly followed the fashion trends.

Tony had already discovered two of his erstwhile buddies had a major issue about Krista. Dwayne Harper and Phil Abott had attended St. Michael's Elementary together with Tony and they had played together for years. They were on the Tidewater Titans football team together. The macho duo thought Tony and Krista were faggots and let everyone know their opinion. It was only the school's anti-bullying policy that kept them in check.

Fiona Harper was a shy mousey girl with straight brown hair and glasses. Having just moved into the area, she had yet to make any close friends and didn't know what to make of Krista. Lacy Blount was a super girly girl. She wore dresses or skirts year round and accessorized her outfits. Fashion trends meant little to her, her only objective was to be a girl. Megan Leonard was an overweight, dumpy girl with at least 'C' sized breasts, She always wore loose baggy clothes to hide her chubby figure and was always put down by Brittany, Chloe and Tiffany. Amy Beck was the girl geek, hair pulled back into a low ponytail, glasses, and a large purse to hold her pens, markers, and pencils.

Jimmy Boswell had been one of Tony's buddies before Krista and they remained best friends. Klaus Smythe and Garret Houseman had replaced Dwayne and Phil, who wanted nothing to do with the new and improved Tony, in the circle of friends. They enjoyed sports and it was their main topic of discussion. Leo Thomas was a quiet geeky boy who stayed pretty much to himself. Gary Stevens and Ferdy Hammond were the class clowns.

Tony and Krista smiled at each other every time they looked at each other which was a lot. By lunch, Krista had tagged the three haughty girls as the 'snobbettes'. The other girls giggled and immediately adopted the moniker. Of course, it was simply a private joke between them and not meant to be used to their faces.

As at every school. the students divided in cliques. There were the elitists, the snobby girls and the uber jocks at the top of the pecking order. The next layer down were the genteel girls and semi-jocks who liked sports but had other interests. Then came the male and female rednecks raw, tough, vulgar, and bigoted. At the bottom of the heap were the geeks and misfits who intermingled.

After they picked up their lunches, the snobbettes headed for the elitist tables. Karen, Lisa, Kate and Krista headed took a table in the middle of the cafeteria where Fiona, Lacey and Megan joined them. Amy and Leo headed for the geek table. Dwayne and Phil headed for the redneck zone. Jimmy, Klaus, Garret and Tony headed to the semi-jock table where Gary and Ferdy joined them.

It was only during lunch and PE when the entire grade was able to mingle. Quite a few girls were eager to meet Krista to see what a boy who was a girl looked like. They were surprised to discover Krista seemed to be a pretty, natural and nice girl. Several joined them for lunch.

By the end of the day, Krista had all her books and homework. She was glad not to have to ride the bus as she and Tony road home to the farm with Pat. Pat didn't mind allowing the couple some cuddle time. When they left the school the protestors were gone. They hadn't received any TV coverage to showcase their self-righteousness. Most left vowing never to return to the heathen wilderness of St. Michaels.

*****

The second week of school (Krista’s first week) sped by as all the kids adjusted to their new school. Because of class size issues, Krista’s half brothers LJ and Peter had transferred from St. Michaels Elementary to Tilghman Elementary where Krista’s half sisters Lyndi and Teri would also attend. The four had no problems making new friends. Krista slipped easily into friendships as the cliques solidified. A few rednecks had attempted to harass Krista and Tony. Tony was big and strong and physically intimidating. Krista didn't look to be much of a threat but they knew she had decisively beaten Tony in a fight at their first meeting and had killed Tony's dad, the murderer and escaped prisoner. Each time anyone tried to hassle them, Tony and Krista boldly confronted them, standing their ground with self-confidence until the rednecks wilted away.

Upon arriving home, Krista would change into old jeans and shirt to head out to the barn to join Kylie Masters, another TS her uncle Larry’s fiancee, and Tony, who changed clothes in the bathroom of the barn. The pair would assist Kylie in whatever she was doing. Even though she was only nineteen, Kylie was a top-notch mechanic having learned from her late father who had been the best mechanic in the county. Even though she’d only recently set up her repair business in the barn, she already had a number of people bringing their vehicles for her to repair. Leroy Scott, Krista’s dad and a deputy sheriff, had helped Kylie get a permit to operate a vehicle and motor repair shop from the barn. She not only worked on cars and trucks, she did small motors such as lawn mowers, garden tractors, farming tractors, outboard motors, jet skis, and even boats with built in motors. Tony’s dad, Jack, had been a so-so mechanic working for his brother, but had trouble holding a job after Jim died. After he had car-naped Evelyn, Tony, and Krista, Krista had intentionally crashed and then fought the man to the death. Tony had learned a bit about auto mechanics and brought his late father's tools out to the barn. For most things, Tony was able to work alone. If he didn't know something or wasn't sure, he didn't hesitate to ask Kylie. For her part, Kylie was free with sharing her knowledge.

As the business picked up, Kylie started bogging down on the paperwork. That's where Krista fit in. With the old computer that Evelyn Masters, Kylie’s mom, had used to keep Jim’s repair business running smoothly, Krista soon learned the book keeping program and was able to track parts ordered, parts received, parts used and set up an automated reorder point on items that were frequently used and kept in stock. She also revised the billing program that listed the parts used and labor to calculate a total with applicable sales tax. A printable invoice could be printed out detailing parts and repairs for each customer. While it took several days to set up the system, once in place it was easy to maintain and update. Ed Nelson spent at least some of every day helping Kylie while Lisa, Ed’s wife, spent time with Jane O’Brien, Krista’s gram, cooking and baking for their families and friends.

*****

On Saturday, the family headed for a day of Tidewater Titan football. Krista was able to wear her cheering uniform and she was allowed to cheer, but she was forbidden to do more than step with the routines. Jumps, leaps, and splits were strictly verbotten.

Everyone watched and cheered as LJ and Peter play in the mitey-mite scrimmage. During the junior pee-wee game while Lyndi and Teri cheered, Krista and Tony slowly walked hand in hand about the park a bit just enjoying being together. In a remote corner of the park, away from the noise of the game, they heard a child forlornly crying from inside a thicket they passed.

"Hello," Krista called out. "Do you need any help?"

The crying immediately ceased and no sounds came from the thicket.

"We only want to help you," Krista called out again but there was no response.

Turning to her boyfriend Krista asked, "Tony, can you go in and make sure whoever it is is okay?"

Tony nodded and began to look for a path through the tightly packed branches.

"My boyfriend is coming inside to help you," Krista told the person.

"NO! NO! "I'm okay, I just need to rest," the child responded in fearful desperation.

By this time Krista figured out it was a young very frightened girl inside. "I can't come in after you," Krista explained. “I've got some boo-boos that won't let come in. If you won't come out or let my boyfriend come in to get you, I'll simply have to call the police to come get you."

"NO, please," the girl cried as her sobbing started up again. "Don't call the police... I'll really get in trouble! I'll come out, just make sure the boy doesn't touch me."

"I won't touch you unless you give me permission," Tony called out realizing the girl was terrified and frightened by males.

They heard a rustling sound grow louder as the girl made her way through the thicket. After over a minute, she poked her head out. She'd had to crawl out on her hands and knees. Her clothes were dirty and tattered and her tears had cleaned tracks though the grime on her face. She looked to be about six or seven but had a look of abject fear in her hollow eyes.

"Please, I'll be good," she sniffled. "But I don't want to go back. Mommy's boyfriend will hurt me again."

"We won't make you go back," Krista assured her. "We'll help you. I'm Krista and this is Tony. What's your name?"

"I'm Sandi, Sandi Herr," she said.

Krista could see the pain and terror in the girl's face. She knelt down and opened her arms. The girl flew into the embrace and once more began sobbing. Krista comforted her until she finally settled down. Krista ran her fingers through the girl's ratty hair to clean out the twigs and debris "When was the last time you ate?"

"I'm not sure," Sandi sniffled.

"Well, then come with us," Krista smiled. "My family is having a picnic and we have tons of food."

The girl tentatively smiled and nodded her head.

"Okay," Krista smiled. "Now Tony is going to have to help me back on my feet."

Looking at the bandages on Krista's arm & leg Sandi asked, "Are those your boo-boos?"

"Yes," Krista answered as Tony helped her back to her feet. "I had a bad man hurt me almost two weeks ago."

As they headed back to the picnic area, Krista held Sandi's left hand with her right and Tony's right hand with her left.

When Sandi noticed they were holding hands, she quietly asked, "Is he your boyfriend?"

"Yes," Krista smiled. "But he knows better than to try to hurt anyone. The first time we met we had a fight but I won. Since then, we've become friends."

The girl looked amazed. "You can beat up boys?"

"Only if they deserve it," Krista replied. "Fighting is never a good way to settle problems but sometimes you have no choice."

Sandi mulled that over. Pat saw the threesome coming and immediately knew something was up. She called to Leroy to come over. By the time he got to the picnic table they'd laid claim to for the day, Pat could see the girl was filthy and had been crying. She sat on the bench and waited while Leroy stood at the far end of the table.

"It's okay, Sandi," Krista assured her as she hesitated. "These are my parents. Mom is a nurse so she can make sure you're okay and my dad is a deputy sheriff, so he can arrest anyone who hurts you."

Sandi looked at Krista and in all earnestness asked, "Will he arrest mommy's boyfriend?"

"If your mommy's boyfriend hurt you, then he'll put him in jail," Krista assured the girl. "Mom, dad, this is Sandi Herr," Krista said. "She said she couldn't remember how long it's been since she ate so I invited her to help herself."

Hiding half-way behind Krista she looked at the food. "Is it okay if I eat?"

"Of course Sandi," Pat said. "You just sit right down and I'll fill a plate for you. Leroy, could you please warm up a hotdog?"

"One weiner coming up," Leroy smiled at Sandi who was still cringing a bit.

Sandi tucked into the repast. It was obvious she hadn't eaten for a while. Pat had to caution her twice about chewing her food before swallowing. While she ate, Leroy took several pictures of Sandi. When she finally had her fill, she burped and blushed.

"You sure were hungry," Krista smiled. "How long were hiding in those bushes?"

"I was there two nights," Sandi answered as she leaned back to let the food settle.

"Wow, you're brave to have stayed there two nights," Krista declared. "Can you tell my mom and dad what your mommy's boyfriend did to hurt you?"

"He and mommy were drinking beer and smoking those nasty cigarettes they call weed," Sandi explained. "I don't know why anyone would want to smoke a weed but they do it all the time. I always go to my room when they do that because they start doing all sorts of weird stuff. I was playing with my dolls when he slammed open the door. He was really scary and his eyes were big and bulgy. Then he came over to me and pulled his boy thing out of his pants and told me to kiss it."

"That's terrible," Krista gasped as she slipped next to the shivering girl and protectively wrapped an arm around her.

"It was terrible," Sandi said as she sniffed back tears and leaned into Krista's embrace. "When I said no he got mad and grabbed my hair. When I screamed he pushed the thing in my mouth. It tasty nasty and I got sick all over him. That only made him madder. He threw me onto my bed and pulled off my pants. Then he stuck his dirty fingers inside me. It hurt, but then he climbed on top of me and shoved his boything in me. I screamed and then I don't remember anything for a while."

Krista embraced Sandi tighter, as she angrily looked to her parents. Pat slid next to the girl and added her hug to Krista's. Leroy took his phone and called 911 to dispatch a cruiser and EMTs to the park for a child molestation adding to make sure there was a female in the EMT unit.

"When I woke up I really hurt between my legs and when I went to pee, I saw I was bloody down there," Sandi continued. "I washed myself and went and got clean undies and a pair of jeans. Then I went to the kitchen and got some food. While I was eating he came into the kitchen in his undies. He smiled really nastily and came towards me telling me I was his little piece of heaven. I ran out the back door and he yelled at me to get back but I kept running. I'm not sure how I got here but I hid because I was afraid he was still chasing me."

Just then the sound of approaching sirens heralded the arrival of the police and the EMT's. Sandi began to panic but was so worn out she settled down in Krista's tender but restraining embrace.

"Sandi," Leroy asked as gently as he could. "I need to ask you several questions. What is your mother's name? Do you know the boyfriend's name? Do you your home address? It'll make arresting him easier."

"My mommy is Buffy Herr," Sandi said. “Her boyfriend is Dan. We live at 918 Elm Street in Easton."

"Good girl," Leroy smiled as the EMTs and officers joined them. Then he turned to the officers and briefed them on what Sandi had said.

"Sandi," Pat began. "Are you still wearing the underwear you put on when you left home?"

"I'm sorry," she said ashamed. "I know you should always wear clean panties but I didn't have any to change into."

"Don't remove her panties," Pat cautioned the EMTs. "The hospital will need to run a rape kit on her and her clothes."

The EMT's nodded and checked Sandi. Other than some minor cuts and bruises, seemed to be in good shape. When they wanted to load her into the ambulance to take her to the hospital, she balked.

"Sandi trusts me. Would it be okay if I stayed with her," Krista asked the EMTs and indirectly her parents

The EMTs looked at Pat and Leroy who nodded their heads. Within minutes they were headed to the hospital. Leroy was sitting in the cruiser giving the details of what Sandi had told them. He told them to contact Judge Watkins for search and arrest warrants. Pat went over to Gram and told her what was going on and that she was going to go to the hospital to assist anyway she could.

Sandi refused to let Krista leave her alone and clung to her hand with both of hers. The emergency room staff knew their exam depended upon Sandi's cooperation so they let Krista stay. Everyone was horrified to see the bruising and swelling at the little girl's genitals. Scabs had already formed at the numerous small tears but after Krista reassured her they had to clean her up down there she bore the pain better than could be expected. Of course, Krista wondered if her nearly crushed hand would recover.

The panties were saturated with discharge. It would prove to be her blood and semen from her attacker.

A half hour after Sandi arrived in the hospital, search warrants were obtained and a strike force swept into the condo. They found Buffy and Dan in bed passed out. Beer bottles, weed, crystal meth, and all sorts of pills were discovered. Dan was a small time dealer who supported himself selling illegal drugs. Sandi's bedroom produced ample evidence of the rape.

When they ran Dan’s fingerprints on the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC) they found that Daniel Miller was a convicted drug dealer and pedophile who had skipped parole in California. After being arraigned he was locked up in the county prison without bail. The next morning he was cornered and beaten to death by his fellow inmates in the exercise yard. Inmates have no sympathy for a child rapist. The investigation never determined who was responsible as virtually everyone in the yard swarmed the soon to be dead man.

When Buffy sobered, she was horrified by what had happened and that she'd been so strung out she had abandoned her child. Her remorse led her to plead guilty to charges of child neglect and abuse as well as allowing drug dealing to be done from her condo. In the two days Sandi had been missing, she'd never notified the police. It was unclear if she even knew her daughter had been missing much less that she'd been raped.

Sandi was admitted to the hospital for observation and Krista agreed to stay with her. Pat smiled at her caring daughter and approved. At Pat's insistence, Leroy used his connections to pull the strings to be granted temporary custody. When Sandi was discharged Sunday morning, Leroy took her and Krista home in his police car. It was while on the way home they were notified of the beating death of Daniel Miller at the hands of the inmates. Sandi was upset he had been killed but relieved to know he'd never hurt her again. She snuggled into Krista for a hug while she cried.

LJ and Peter were none too happy about gaining another sister, but they understood she'd been hurt by bad people and rescued by Krista so that made it okay. Teri and Lyndi were delighted to have a new sister join their happy family. They insisted Sandi stay in their bedroom. Although a bit timid at first, Sandi quickly shook off the gloom and fear as she was surrounded by happy, caring people. Sandi was transferred to Tilghman Elementary School and to regain some sense of normality rode the bus with LJ, Peter, Lyndi, and Teri. Gram followed in her van to handle the transfer at the school.

Within a week, Sandi was like one of the family. Pat made sure to talk with her in private every day to make sure there were no major issues. The fact Krista was about each day made things go smoothly. Teri and Lyndi kept Sandi under their wings and protected her at school. She eagerly joined the three girls as they went over their cheering routines. Krista was still forbidden from heavy exertion, but she served as the watchdog to correct any flaws in the routines.

*****

up
234 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Odyessy II Part 1

http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book/10770/summers-odyssey Glad to see a continuation of the story. But I must protest the way that you have labeled rednecks unless you mean the ignorant bullies and not the Southern Belles and Gents from here in the South where the Rednecks live.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wow, I'm glad you continued this!

When I saw you had posted Odytssey II, I had to go and read Summer's Odyssey. Great Story! It looks like this one will be just as good. I can't wait for more!

Wren

The continuation of "A

The continuation of "A Summer Odyssey" is wonderful. It is great to see Krista and her family dealing with new and different issues as Krista grows into her girlhood.

Here is an interesting tidbit of history regarding the term "Redneck". That term actually started out during the coalmine "wars" of Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia; in the early teens and twenties of the 20th Century when various miner factions wanted to unionize, and to do so many times went out on strike. When strikebusters (hired thugs of the mine owners) came around to try and stop unionization; the striking/unionizing miners wore red bandannas around their necks to be able to identify themselves from the "bad guys" during the fights that would invaribly break out. So early on, the term "Redneck" was considered a badge of honor; and not a term to mean a person who was a "know-nothing", "knuckle dragging", hard core bigot as it has come to be.

OH

my goodness! I know this is fiction but reading something dealing with child molestation just gets me terribly angry as I have no sympathy for child molesters what so ever!

Other than that this is still a wonderful story. :}

Vivien