Pickles: A TG Choose Your Own Adventure: Page 4

Printer-friendly version

Pickles: A TG Choose Your Own Adventure

By Melanie E.

Page 4

"You enter McGrue's Adventuring Paraphernalia..."

----------

A quick rifle through the bag in your hands reveals a quantity of large, awkward coins. What could these be for? You briefly consider using the bag to brain the next person you meet on the off chance that this is all some horrid prank perpetrated by an unknown party, but instead decide to use the coinage in a much less creative way.

Looking at the shops around you, one in particular catches your eye. A large white house with a badly scrawled sign reading "McGrue's Adventuring Paraphernalia," there is something about it that calls to your pocketbook.

The door is boarded up, but it bears a sign as well: "Door broken -- use window," and a large red arrow pointing to the window directly next to it. You shrug, and climb through the window. Perhaps your pocketbook was wrong after all.

Inside you find a robed figure standing behind a large table and eating a sandwich. "G'day," he says, in a gravelly voice. "Welcome to McGrue's, what can I do you for?"

"Adventuring paraphernalia?" You ask.

"Right ho. Take a look around," he says, then goes back to his sandwich.

Looking around, you find a number of interesting items, from climbing gear to clothes, wooden crates, knapsacks, and numerous other goods too varied to mention. In the end, though, three items in particular interest you more than any others.

The figure seems to track the direction of your gaze, and begins to cackle. "Got a taste for the finer things in life, eh?"

"What are they?"

He gestures to a belt-like object made from an ornate silver material. "That's a girdle I bought off some daft fellow named Minsc. Wouldn't stop yabbering to his damn rodent, but he seemed a decent sort. Supposed to be magical, don't know what it does, though."

Next, he turns to a floppy looking green felt hat, sitting haphazardly atop a pile of books. "Dunno much about that. It's magical too, though. I nabbed it from Arwen's one day when she weren't looking, I did." He cackles. "Right off the top of some snot nosed brat's head, too!"

Finally, he turns to the last object that you seem drawn to, a crystal flask filled with a glowing white liquid. "And that's what we in the bis'nis call a 'Charm Potion.' Supposed to make you so attractive won't no one be able to resist." He nudges you in the ribs painfully, and you watch one of the milky orbs beneath his hood disappear briefly in what could only be a wink.

"So, what will it be?"

Feeling that by now it would be far more dangerous to buy nothing, you study the objects carefully.

What do you do?

---Buy the belt... err, girdle, that is.
---Buy the hat. What could go wrong with a hat?
---Buy the Charm Potion. Bring on the hotties!

----------
The voting begins...NOW!("Page 4" posted on 1/20/2011, voting to close at noon CST on 1/21/2011)

NOTES: Alright, by this point anyone with an interest in RPGs, adventure games, or, well, any combination of the two, will see where this is going. And if you do, then please, don't spoil the surprise for everyone else!

It's pretty obvious that the choices taken have lead to an outcome of "Fantasy Adventure," no? So, I hope everyone's fine with that. I'm not planning these things out more than a handful of moves in advance, either, so like with my more normal stories, while I know the general plot of what's possible, a lot of this will be as much an adventure for me as for you!

Also, if anyone has suggestions on ways I can improve the "game," let me know. I'm getting a much better response than I had expected, and, well, if I'm getting user response anyhow, I might as well know what they want to begin with! So, if you feel up to it, in addition to your votes, let me know what you think of things so far, what works, what needs changed, and what you'd like in the future!

Melanie E.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pickles: A TG Choose Your Own Aventure: Page 4

---Buy the hat. What could go wrong with a hat?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

---Buy the hat. What could go wrong with a hat?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ummm...

laika's picture

My magic decision-dice thing went down the heating vent in the floor. Please don't close
voting on this chapter until I get paid & can get my Ouija Board out of hock (Feb 3rd).
Y'all will wait for me, right? I will say I'm glad this is turning into a real story.
Some fun imagery & dialogue this chapter. More like this is what I vote for...
~~hugs, Laika

Short of dice??

KevSkegRed's picture

>Throws felt bag to Laika< It rattles, u can tell there are various dice in it.... d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20. These should help :o)

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Negotiate to buy two or more

Negotiate to buy two or more items, if possible, the girdle and the charm potion. If not, choose the girdle.

I don't have the opportunity to live on my computer, so your time limit of noon CST is often totally unrealistic for me to be able to be on the computer. I completely missed the first and second "page" and though I can get a notion of what can happen from today's Page, I dunno the initial setup. Maybe a link to the setup/first page?

CaroL

CaroL

Should be fixed soon, I reckon

I've never bothered to learn how to link my own stories together, preferring to leave that to the site admins so I don't eff things up, but they should have this chapter linked into the earlier ones pretty soon. If not, you can always click on my author name to be taken to my list of stories/posts, and find it there.

BUT, for those others who come in late...

-It rained. You're soaked.
-You took cover under an awning.
-The rain stopped, and you walked into the remaining haze.
-A man called out to you from through the haze. You answered him.
-He led you to a plaza and gave you a bag of coins before disappearing.

Yup! All caught up now.

Melanie E.

What is a Baldur's Gate.

RAMI

For us clueless one's or perhaps those over the hill, what is a Baldur's Gate?

Thanks

RAMI

RAMI

I prefer Neverwinter Nights

KevSkegRed's picture

But in my defence I've never played Baldur's Gate. I have heard of it though.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

No Joke

RAMI
Sorry Robin, but at 59 I'm not into RPG's and my kids as fas a know missed that one (there 25 and 28).

RAMI

RAMI

Oh,

I have to apologize. Didn´t know that. But noone is old enough to play. Just try it.
Btw, I´m 28 too. Unfortunately.

i agree

---Buy the belt... err, girdle, that is.

Aarrr...

I'd buy the hat. I don't need a potion, with my natural charm I won't need it. Like duh.

And the girdle...? Well, a girdle is for girls ain't it? I'm guy, am I not, so I won't want there being any funny nudging or whispers to start now all of a sudden.

A fine strapping lad, with a nice felt hat. Hey ho, hey ho,

Jo-Anne

I think it must be Irish too....

Gird yourself for war.

RAMI

Missed the first 4 votes, but luckily can become invovled now.

Without a doubt the girdle. I think of it more like a belt, that obviously has magical powers that will allow the wearer to obtain the necessary weapons and tools to defend oneself against the evil beings lugking just outside the emporium.

Perhaps the hat might make you smarter, but smarts might not help if attacked by evil orcs or wizards or othe nasties.

And who needs charm or Love Potion Number 9 when your life is at risk.

The girdle without doubt.

RAMI

RAMI

of course the hat could have

of course the hat could have belonged to a wizard, such as Gandalf - like. His hat was described as shapeless and green..... IIRC. Then again, the hat could have magical spells embedded in it, including maybe one that would force the wearer to find it's real owner, thus throwing into an different adventure. The girdle could be a girdle of giant strength, transformation, or belong to one of the female gods of the milieu, and give the wearer some advantages. Then again, it could be a curse of clumsiness. You just pays your money and takes your chances if you don't already have a spell that lets you detect magic and maybe alignment.

CaroL

CaroL

MEW

buy the hat :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, gamer girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Of all the items

The most clear purpose is from the Potion. However, knowing the minds of gaming geeks... I'll pass.
The girdle? I could, possibly, take it, but its purpose is very unclear.
And the hat? It's stolen, what more can I say? Although, in one cartoon, a hat could bring on many things.

Unfortunately, when presented with the choice of evulz, and guessing that re-selling the goods to other shopkeepers isn't going to work:

---Buy the hat. What could go wrong with a hat?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Gotta have the belt

Don't want a stolen hat, and hey don't need the hotties either. So buy the belt, its magical. Hugs,Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

I think the belt......

KevSkegRed's picture

.....sounds interesting. But maybe the charm potion, then again, the hat could be useful too. Decisions, decisions.

The belt.

I would normally buy the charm potion, drink it and charm the other items from the seller, but I don't yet know what we're up against.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Gird(le) my loins!

Let's see...

A charm potion. Somehow I doubt trolls and ogres will step aside and gaze in awe at your radiant beauty, while allowing you to pass unharmed.

A magical hat, stolen from a customer in Arwen's. So it belonged to a magic user, and was stolen in a magic shop. Now what's the betting it's got some form of protection charm which will identify the wearer to its former owner? Besides which, even if it wasn't cursed, it's easily knocked off.

A magical girdle. OK, again we don't know what it does, but since it fits around your waist and through belt hooks, chances are it'll be harder for a foe to remove.

So I vote: buy the girdle.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Charm Potion!

I'm ugly, what can I say?

Wren

The girdle is obviously the

The girdle is obviously the way to go. Can't go wrong with a magic girdle in a fantasy setting, for any boy :) I mean, the hat is stolen and probably lead to you being accused of doing it, and the charm potion is one use only, isn't it? The girdle prevails! (Usually permanently, the way these stories go...)

Belt

up

gotta

go with the girdle. Has to do something good.

Buy the belt

WebDeb's picture

My playtex is killing me.

Go for the...

terrynaut's picture

girdle! That's what I say.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Potion

Jezzi Stewart's picture

"Charm Potion.' Supposed to make you so attractive won't no one be able to resist." McGrue's description doesn't say what sex I'll be, but since I am what I am, I'll buy it and hope for the best.

BE a lady!

Belt, I Guess...

...not all that appealing, but the potion seems pointless under the circumstances and the hat was stolen.

Eric

It is 11:30 AM and I am tired

And so voting is closed... NOW!

Winning by an overwhelming margin of 13 votes is the girdle! Congratulations, Girdle!

Melanie E.

Everybody loves Minsc, and Boo too of course

Just had to post here as well after reading the BG reference. Awesome.

Also, Pillars of Eternity is due out Q1 next year. If you don't know of it already, check it out. Can pre-purchase on steam already.