The Watcher - 8

Printer-friendly version
The Watcher
A Venus Cursed! Story
Chapter 8
by Saless

Shaking his head, Marvin walked up to the door and knocked. He didn't have to wait long before Erica answered the door. She didn't seem surprised to see him, "Hello Agent Garner."

"Hello Ms. Keller. I'm sorry to disturb you, but I've been asked to talk to Sarah." Marvin said.

"Asked? By who?" Erica said.

"Apparently, you aren't the only ones around here who have...unusual abilities. A group of such people have asked for her help in preventing a murder." he replied.

"A murder?! What are you talking about?" Michael exclaimed.

Marvin shrugged, "I don't know all the details myself. The people involved gave me very little information. All I know is that one of their number went rogue and has been foreseen to kill another one. I know the would-be murderer's name is Nathaniel, but that's about it."

"Why would they want my help, or even know I exist?" Sarah asked worriedly.

"It's part of the vision of the murder. Apparently they already saw something about you and I in another vision. I'm fairly sure they don't know who you are or what you can do. Only that your involvement will prevent their friend's death." Marvin replied.

"Visions? You mean, like fortune tellers?" Tiffany said.

"Perhaps. Believe me, I wish I had more information for you. All I know is they want you to go to the magic shop and meet with Charlotte. Presumably she will have more information for you, or know who does." Marvin said.

"Okay, I guess we'll go talk to Charlotte. Where's the shop?" Sarah asked.

Marvin gave her the address and half turned to leave before turning back, "Please call me once you've dealt with this situation, will you? I'm not your enemy, and I think we might be able to help each other." With that said, he turned and left.

He thought about assigning someone to watch the magic shop, but decided that he needed their good opinion more than he needed what little information he might get out of it. Any more spying on his part would simply jeopardize that. He also doubted he would find out anything of value, since this 'magical community' had managed to remain hidden thus far.

Returning to his office he started going through the files of agents who had volunteered for the paranormal division. Most of them were young, in many cases this would be their first assignment. And that's exactly what he was hoping for. He wouldn't be running his division in a standard manner, so the lack of experience would be more helpful than hurtful.

By the end of the day he had narrowed it down to the three agents he wanted. He hoped to interview them within the week. If things continued to happen as they were he anticipated agent Mason and himself to be overloaded without the help.

Marvin discussed the potential new agents with agent Mason the next day, as he would probably be interacting with them more than Marvin himself. Mason seemed happy enough with Marvin's choices, and surprised that he was involved in the process being a rather new agent himself.

Mason is going to work out rather well. he thought. I hope these others handle this business as well as he is.

Marvin thought about going back to the magic store to talk to Charlotte, but decided that waiting until the situation with Nathaniel was taken care of would be best. Thinking of that, he gave what little information he had on him to Mason to investigate. Despite being told he wouldn't find him in time to help, he still wanted to try.

Marvin decided to approach things from a different angle, and went back through all the reports from the last few days to look for anything that might be connected with this Nathaniel person. Remembering what he was told about the fire throwing wand, he looked at every report of injuries involving fire in the last few days.

Most of them were easily eliminated as ordinary events, but one stood out. A woman was admitted to the hospital after an assault, but she had somehow suffered burn injuries to one arm in the process. A little research and he learned that she was the High Priestess of a local coven. This can't be a coincidence! That's got to be the coven that Nathaniel is supposed to be a part of.

He didn't have any trouble tracking Kerry, the woman who was burned, down. When he did he identified himself and asked her about her attack.

"Charlotte already called me about you." she said. "You can try to find Nathaniel if you want, but I doubt you'll get anywhere. I really don't know much about him, anyway. He's never even told us his last name, let alone given a phone number or address. I don't even have a picture of him."

"Will you at least give a description to a sketch artist?" he asked.

She shrugged, "If you want. I doubt it will do you any good. By the time you find him your friend should have already dealt with him."

He called for a sketch artist to talk to her, but he didn't have much more hope than Kerry. With so little information it was unlikely he would get anywhere. But he had to try.


To Be Continued…


up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh poo, no chapter name?

Well, at least we know Agent Marvin is keeping himself busy, and isn't wasting any time! :)

Though I do think that he's going to, sooner or later, suggest to Kerry and other coven leaders to collect personal information about members, even as little as a phone number and address "for emergencies". It will actually be complete and total truth with this reason - there are different kinds of emergencies after all.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Yeah, I couldn't decide on

Yeah, I couldn't decide on one, so I just left it off. Anybody comes up with a good one I'll tack it on there. ;)

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

How about "Inquiries"

Because save from actually delivering the message in the beginning, Marvin was checking the information about first potential new agents, then for freak heat-related situations, for Kerry's and then for Nathaniel's backgrounds and the like. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

The Watcher - 8

Mason, eh? Is there perhaps a Matlock in the group?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nah, this Mason isn't a

Nah, this Mason isn't a lawyer. ;)

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I Sort of Hate to Ask...

But if Nathaniel didn't give any contact information to the coven -- and given his paranoia, that certainly makes sense -- how did he know when their meetings took place? It seems to me that if they were posting times and dates on an in-store (or online, or both) bulletin board, they'd be getting people at their meetings that they wouldn't want.

Really good to see this moving forward again. (Or catching up, depending on how one looks at it.)

Eric

There are lots of ways for

There are lots of ways for groups to give notice of times and locations without giving out their identities. Phone calls (cellular) is one, but you can post up a notice on a bulletin board that says "Heretic Library, 3 PM" (and a bunch of blather) with another one further down that says "Second Tuesday of the Month, Wake up Call for Action"


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Could have sworn I'd replied to this...

Guess it got lost in the ether. Anyway, what Bibliophage said pretty well covers it.

I'd like to say this will be moving much faster now, but that's not likely. I'm still getting back in the groove, as it were, and I've also been working on other stories, too.

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America