The Kiss Off

Printer-friendly version

----------=BigCloset Retro Classic!=----------
Complete

THE KISS OFF
by Laika Pupkino
.
Melanie Ezell's Big Closet Ultimate Writer's Challenge (Week #7: Burning Bridges)

.

"Blood is thicker than water except when it isn't."
~Chuck Palahnuik

 
Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 2:57 pm, this retro classic was pulled out of the closet, and re-presented for our newer readers. ~Sephrena
 


 
.
MOM:
I guess this is it. I've reached my hand out to you again and again over these past 3-4 years only to have it slapped away, like I'm some stranger you don't know and don't want to know, who you say “murdered” your child; which hurts like you wouldn't believe. Nobody murdered anyone and I have not gone anywhere; which is more than I can say for you. But it was that scene at Janice's wedding that made me see I finally have to let you go. I've decided to abide by that ultimatum you issued when I transitioned. I won't call, write or bother you again. Goodbye.

This has been a long time coming, most of my friends said I should've done it years ago, but I thought if I gave you time to adjust we might work things out, that you might see I'm so much happier now, and not falling to pieces like you predicted, but more successful in every part of my life. But no matter which way I've tried to explain it you refuse to hear what I'm saying, and insist on seeing my new life as some spiteful thing I'm doing to you, when it never was. There's something insanely egotistical about seeing the whole world as some grand melodrama with you at the center, but I won't go into that. And though I have no hope that you will somehow suddenly get this I'll say it one last time. My becoming Robert isn't about you. I just can't be that person you've demanded I be for about as long as I can remember...

There was a time when we had a loving, uncomplicated relationship, when you were my mommy and nothing else mattered. Your attention felt good, so I was happy to have you dressing me up in those frilly pink outfits you loved to put me in, like I was the best dolly you'd ever owned. At age one or two I didn't have any real sense of who I was as someone separate from you, and I liked the way your friends would fuss over me. But as I evolved into a person in my own right all I heard was, “Don't sit like that!”, “Don't touch that, it's dirty!”, “Little girls don't do that!” and “Why can't you be like your sister?”. More than any of my friend's parents did you tried to dictate what I should think and what I should want, trying to make me into a xerox copy of you.

Ironic, isn't it? That a woman like you would have a daughter like me- your “tomboy”, your “wild Indian”, the kinds of things a parent might call her kid; Only the way you said this wasn't affectionate or teasing but the words spat out like they were poison on your tongue, with a shudder that made me know just how disappointing + wrong I was to you. You predicted that these traits would be my ruin, dooming me to a life of miserable loneliness, because “No man will want a girl who acts like that!”; and you acted like my being who I was would be not just disappointing but physically harmful for you- that hypochondria thing you've always played so well; which guilted me into doing so many things I never wanted to. Uncomplaining at the nightmare of girliness you made my room into, or being made to sashay down the runway at those horrible child beauty pageants, feeling ridiculous and looking like some pervert's wet dream with red lips and big fake eyelashes.

Then at age fifteen or so I said no more. You called me “unmanageable”, but to me it felt like a fight for survival, that I wouldn't be able to breathe if I didn't. You called me a “weird little dyke” and let me know what you thought of that, withdrawing your love from me and concentrating your attention on your normal, non-embarrassing daughter. Not that you'd know the difference, but I never was a lesbian; although the gay/lesbian kids at my school were the most accepting, the closest fit for me socially, and I threw my lesbian identity in your face out of spite. And the feminist rhetoric I'd picked up from my more political friends, talking a lot more radical than anything I actually believed, because you hated it and had such weird ideas about "those women's libbers" being the cause of every evil in the world. Not proud of all that, but I was seeing what a lie it was---that “love” you would always retract like an emotional drawbridge whenever I fell short of your approval---and I just wanted to hurt you back.

I know we were both relieved when I moved out. Visits home from college were easier. Since they only lasted a day or so we could go through the motions of being civil. I never stopped wanting your approval, I ached for your acceptance, but was realistic enough to know that if I didn't have it as a lesbian things would get even worse when I came out to you about the man I am.

That went about like I'd figured. Although I thought with time you might get used to the idea, and maybe be happy for me. But it doesn't seem like you know how to be happy anymore. And not just about me. You used to have friends. You had interests, didn't constantly complain about everything and everybody. And you want people to believe that this is somehow all my fault but nobody besides you buys this. They humor you---you've become so shrill---but behind your back they're sad for the person you've become.

When I came out as Robert you banished me until I “came to my senses”, and when I went in to have my top surgery done and you realized I wasn't going to be guilt-tripped out of it you said it would be better for me to die on the operating table than to disfigure myself like that. And that's when you deleted me from your life; my calls unanswered, my letters returned.

And I didn't push it. For the next three years I declined invitations to Dad's & Janice's birthdays, any family gathering I knew you would be at, to accommodate your wishes. I missed them and they missed me but we were all trying to “give you time”; Right up until Janice's wedding, when she said: “I don't care if Mom gets upset. You're my brother and Steve and I both want you there. It's not fair that Mom gets to dictate what we all do.”

And I agreed it was time, that we'd stop putting our life as a family on hold to keep you happy. She said you grumbled when she told you I was invited but you'd promised to be there, and like a fool I took this as a good sign...

Did you think I was going to be a bridesmaid? That fit you threw when I showed up in my tux proved how totally fucking selfish you are. Hounding the photographer not to include me in any of the portraits so I wouldn't soil people's memories of that otherwise joyful day. But just think about how everyone there treated me. Nobody was upset about me being there as a man but you, and poor Dad was beyond embarrassed as he tried to make excuses for you, that you'd "been under a lot of stress" lately. You came close to ruining the day for everyone, with the way you were screaming about how I was ruining it for everyone. But we carried on and had a good time in spite of your making a total ass of yourself.

Well if that upset you, you might want to know that I'm accepting Grandma and Grandpa's invitation to their place for Christmas this year. As their grandson BTW, so I won't be wearing a dress there either. So do what you want, but I've missed the last three and I won't be missing another. I'm not burning my bridges to the rest of my family because of your intolerance and selfishness. I won't sign this as “your son”, since you've made it so clear you'll never accept me as such, but simply,
ROBERT

.
Oh and by the way, you were wrong when you said I would never have a man in my life if I wasn't feminine enough. That guy I came to Janice's wedding with and who you saw me kissing after he caught the bouquet was Tom, and we're totally in love, and he's a proud gay queer faggot cocksucker like me!

.

.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOdI4WuiNSM&feature=related

http://gayutopia.blogspot.com/2007/12/julia-serano-performan...

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Superb!

Andrea Lena's picture

...the image of him as the best 'dolly' her mother owned just struck me. He was a commodity to be owned instead of a child to be loved. Robert - 'bright fame.' A chance to shine in the midst of a universe of his mother's making; it's great to see this often neglected other side of our community, and the irony of him falling in love with a man; likely as handsome a man as his mother ever would have wanted as a son-in-law. PFC Robert...nice ring to it! Thanks for making my day!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Hi Mom...

What an absolutely brilliant little tale! Many of us have suffered the failure to meet the unrealistic expectations of our parents. We have suffered the guilt of their using our unconditional love as a weapon against us. And what does that teach us? And what will we (do we) teach our own children as a result? Your little timely, and unconventional, piece now lives on in my little "Laika File".

May Your Words Heal Us...

Drea's Brat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummmm....

I agree with you on two points: this is an outrageously excellent letter(?). And, of course, some parents should have been toilet paper instead.

Snogs and other Good stuff,

Triona

Well done!

Excellent work, Laika! Not a tact that many on the site would have chosen, and all the better -- and needed -- for that change.

Melanie E.

Zing!

Wonderful. Loved the way you took a scenario which couldn't be further from your own life and just ran with it, nailed it. That's creative writing.

Awesome put-down letter!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

The Kiss Off

Makes me wonder about the mother's attitude as her parents have accepted him I am guessing that there being no father figure, she is a widow or had the children out of wedlock.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Dad was around...

laika's picture

I didn't mention him much (only one reference, about how the son missed his birthdays
when he deliberately stayed away) because I was already WAY over the 1000 word limit.
A story told as a letter isn't as realistic sounding when it gives lots of background that both
writer and receipient already know (what the writing manuals call the AS YOU KNOW, BOB syndrome);
and there was already too much of this. And maybe it says much about my own relationship with
my father that I didn't give the dad more of a part in this. I'll revise & mention him somewhere,
maybe putting him at the wedding. Thanks for pointing that out...
~~hugs, Laika

Nice to see

something done that's about FTM. We don't see enough stories of that vein here just to the nature of the site's majority of stories. I love the power of it too.

Bailey Summers

glad to see a trans-man point of view

I fear I might end up doing something like this with my brother, sister in law, and most sadly of all, my ex. Ah, well.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

And Here's.......The Winner!

joannebarbarella's picture

Well, I hope so, as if my vote or my opinion will make the difference. Huh!

How seldom most of us think about those who are our antithesis. The mirror-image. How awful to wear those girly frills and make-up and be oh-so-pretty when you want to be out climbing trees and kicking balls about and getting dirty, wrestling in the mud with the other boys; to be told until you're sick of it that your destiny is to be a mother and have lots of babies, that the highlight of your life will be walking down the aisle in the most beautiful white gown and that's it, she wrote.

A smother mother, one of those that's into those obscene child beauty contests. I can imagine Dad, standing to one side, not seeing too much wrong with his wife spoiling their daughter...after all, she's only a girl isn't she; a baby machine and hey, the game's on the TV. Maybe he notices a difference when she wants to sit with him and watch and starts asking about the rules, but that's just a phase, surely? It will pass.

You have captured the thoughts of Robert so well as he finally lets all those years during which she has put every pressure on him to conform to HER desires culminating in outright rejection at his sister's wedding. This will be the only story to come from the other side of the street, so to speak, and Laika, it's done with your usual flair.

I keep on telling you....Write More!

Joanne

For a moment I wondered if she was a boy feminized by her mom ..

and not a TG girl who needed to be a guy. That mom was so wierd I could just imagine she would do something like that.

Powerful piece from a side of TG fiction far less covered.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I Personally Feel That Parents...

jengrl's picture

who subject their children to those over -the-top pageants should be charged with child abuse. I have seen a little bit of the "Toddlers and Tiara's" show on TLC to know how absolutely obsessed these parents can get. Little Girl's should not have to be subjected to overdone makeup and skimpy outfits at their age. They should be allowed to be little girls and not be forced to live up to the ridiculous fantasies of their parents. Even some girls who actually like to be in pageants turn into spoiled brats and they begin to dictate to the parents, instead of the parents being in control.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Satisfying

terrynaut's picture

Just like everyone else has been saying, it's nice to see a FTM story here. I wonder what transmen do for stories. They certainly wouldn't get many here on Big Closet. Perhaps they don't care to read that type of thing, or maybe they just like normal romance novels. Hmmmm.

Anyway, thanks and kudos. This was very satisfying.

- Terry

It's curious

kristina l s's picture

I'll admit I struggle a bit with the F>M thing, not in an acceptance way but in understanding. Makes me a bit more open maybe to the fact that most 'regular folks' don't quite get me either. I like to think when I write I don't do 'typical' TG stuff, but Laika... Ah you take a TG cliche and turn it on its head and then flip it about a bit before dropping a last line that makes me at least laugh out loud at its sheer exuberant brilliance. Absolutely wonderful.

Kristina

Excellent letter

janet_L.'s picture

I don't often see a FtoM story, and this is a good one.

From my little trans community it seems like the number of FtoMs is rapidly accelerating, and may soon catch up in prevalence with MtoFs.

Dear Lakia

I learned a lot from the comments, re read and yes thumbs up.

Thank you.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Powerful

Lora123falle.jpg
I'm absolutely stunned by this piece. I was certain that I was reading a real letter to a pathetic excuse for a parent. It wasn't until I read the other comments that I realized that this was an essay.

I wish I could write like this... Lora

Powerful

(Sorry for the double comment. Using a tablet, buttons are small, hit post comment button twice by accident, can't find a "delete comment" button.)

One Of Your Best

joannebarbarella's picture

Maybe THE best. It came up on the sidebar and I didn't remember the title at first, but I remembered the story as soon as I started reading.

The damn kudo button wouldn't give you another hit. I'll have to find a way around that. In lieu I give you...*******************************...a few stars,

I loved it all over again,

Joanne

Excellent!!!

Ole Ulfson's picture

To my shame, I just came upon this as a featured solo.

What a marvelous and powerful piece it is! How wonderful to see the other side of the coin. Your writing is powerful and controlled. Perfect! You should be very proud of this.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Unfortunate

But some people are like that. I have people like that in my life too, (not to this extreme, but people who don't want to associate with me, even went so far as to give me a Christmas card telling me they keep praying that I'll come back to God. Nice way to ruin a girl's christmas don't you think? I didn't let them though, I tore that card up when no one was looking and soaked the remains in the sink making sure not to let any get in the sink and then dumped it in tiny little pieces and csince then I've cut off all contact with them. I thought about doing the same to my homophobic uncle but... surprisingly he's been more accepting than most of my family... I have no idea when he changed but I welcome it mew ^^)

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Marvellous! ^_^

Extravagance's picture

It's always refreshing to see FtM material here, but this is particularly good. ^_^
*HuggleSnugglePurr* <3

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Absolutely...

Andrea Lena's picture

...refreshing. I'm convinced that my dear sweet adorable sister is one of the most underrated authors anywhere. I hope that other folks who haven't yet had the pleasure of reading Laika's stories will mosey over to her author page; you're all in for a huge treat. (scratches Extravagance behind the ears) Yay!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

<3

Extravagance's picture

*HuggleSnugglePurrLickyourfaceHappytailswish* ^_^

Catfolk Pride.PNG

At the age of thirty five

At the age of thirty five years I committed the most selfish act of my entire life; I came out to my entire family. I called this action selfish because I did it for nobody other than me. I had reached the point in my life where living a lie was far more detrimental to my well being than the slow spiritual death I languished through for so many prior years.

I was born into a very old South Carolina family in which my father was always called 'the Colonel', even by my mother. He, of course, offered me his pistol with the epithet of blowing my own brains out to save him the trouble of doing so. My beloved wife was in a lawyer's office that same afternoon. My mother refused to speak to me as did my brother and my children. My more distant relatives and friends took even more distant stances. I couldn't have been more despised had I worked for the ACLU in the 1970's.

After I recovered from the loss of my 'beloved' wife, my family, my friends, my job at the time, my home, and all of my money, I found the only thing I still had was my self-respect. I found the trade to be quite equitable.

Over time, the things I lost have since been regained; house, income, etc. My youngest sister immediately began a relationship with me the moment she left for college and is still on, and at, my side on this day. My daughter contacted me shortly after her oldest son was killed in the first Bush's first oil war. We almost instantly reconciled and she began to vote Democratic. We have been extremely close ever since.

Though I felt your very intense anger, my dear Laika, I could never really sustain any against my family. I suppose that suddenly being free of all the years of suppressing my desire to come out as a gay man provided me with the courage to spit on their lovely wooden floors and turn my back to them. I would guess that the Colonel's abusively harsh lessons of my youth final paid off by hardening me to whatever consequences were waiting as a result of my actions.

I most definitely applaud all those who have reached that point in their lives where there truly is no choice but to make the break and I truly empathize and sympathize with those still suffering in a world not necessarily of their own creation. Truly there is no 'right' moment to come out and shed off all those people who claimed to love you. I believe this almost always happens under a duress.

Your letter is worth saving and bringing out from time to time to remind us all that every action has its price and every step of freedom is accomplished at the cost of a broken heart (at the least).

Viral Visitor

It's sad.....

How some family members can be so obtuse. At least most of Roberts family accepts him for the man he is. Nicely written Laika . (Hugs) Taarpa